[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Home]
4Archive logo
when do you call a girl/woman "ma'am"...
If images are not shown try to refresh the page. If you like this website, please disable any AdBlock software!

You are currently reading a thread in /r9k/ - ROBOT9001

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: old chinese lady.jpg (643 KB, 1251x1875) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
old chinese lady.jpg
643 KB, 1251x1875
when do you call a girl/woman "ma'am" and when do you call her "miss"? i always get very anxious about this.
>>
>>25708495
I call younger women maam to make them uncomfortable about age, and I like calling really old women maam for fun. I like to call old men sir
>>
>>25708552
beta

>>25708495
if you're a wagecuck, older woman in managing role = ma'am
younger woman in managing role = miss
>>
>>25708612
but how do you tell which to use when you're unsure if she's older or younger? i'm not good at judging ages.
>>
>>25708495
I say ma'am in a fake thick southern accent even though I live in Los Angeles. It makes it funny. Especially great when you tip a imaginary cowboy hat when you say it.

I worked at staples as a technician and I got fired over this.
>>
Am I the only person who's never said "miss" or "ma'am" in their life? (In the context of "Excuse me miss" etc.) I'm 31 and have a career where I interact with normal adults and I've never felt the urge to say those things. Also never said "sir".
>>
>>25708495
I'm not sure, that's why I don't talk.
>>
>>25708694
You got fired over something so small? What the fuck, family.
>>
>>25708495
"Ma'am" = married woman, "Miss" = single. That's why people tend to use ma'am all the time, to be polite and not to infer that she's single or incapable of dating.
>>
>>25708944
but i worry she might take it as an insinuation she's old and take that as an insult
>>
Just go by the French rule. Ma'am for women who are married or over the age of 35. Miss for unmarried women younger than 35.
>>
>>25709067
But that's OP problem. He can't perceive their age. What is he supposed to say?

>"Excuse me. Are you married? Oh... in that case: Have a nice day, miss".
>>
>>25708495
Ma'am is always respectable

yet somehow when someone calls me ma'am I think "Did you just ;ma'am; me?"

so I go by how old someone is and if I'm being petty I call someone I don't like ma'am

"Ma'am, please don't make a scene or I'll have to ask you to leave."
>>
File: 1419617760562.png (316 KB, 975x962) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1419617760562.png
316 KB, 975x962
Any adult woman I address as ma'am, especially if they're SJW-types, it's always hilarious because they want to get indignant but can't because I'm just being polite

Women are upset by the dumbest things
>>
>>25708925
That, and saying "nice mustache"

Oh, and stealing a lot of batteries.
>>
>>25709101
If you are unsure say miss. Is a win/win situation
If she is single you nailed it
If she is married she will feel great because someone basically told her she looks younger than she is.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
Thread DB ID: 405937

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vip /vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the shown content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows their content, archived. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content, then use the post's [Report] link! If a post is not removed within 24h contact me at [email protected] with the post's information.