[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>you'll never live in nyc >you'll never be able

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 194
Thread images: 24

File: image.jpg (768KB, 2400x1500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
768KB, 2400x1500px
>you'll never live in nyc
>you'll never be able to meet up with your friend drunk because you have trains instead of cars
>you'll never walk around the streets of Manhattan while lit with your best pal
>you'll never be a tough minded street wise person surrounded by hoards of people
Why God why
>>
I was an exchange student in Berlin for a while, reminds me of it
>>
I live in Manhattan (grad student) and trust me it's really really nothing special.
>>
>>25688430
I too wish to be a NYC native. The city is so dirty and gritty, it's beautiful. There are stores that exist in NYC that cannot be found anywhere else in the US. NYC is also a shitload more fashionable than the tiny Midwest town I'm in.
>>
i live in chicago so i get all of that

whenever i go to the suburbs i always get too drunk because i forget designated drivers are a thing, since it's so easy to catch a bus or uber home

any other big city robots know this feel?
>>
I live in New York and it's fucking normie hell. Every single person is scum and should be shot.
>>
>>25688430
I wish.

Knowing me though, if I did get a chance to live there I'd just stay in my room playing video games like I do here.

I live in L.A right now and I don't experience anything except being harassed by bums and people ignoring one another.
>>
i'd like to live in NYC or a nice small town
i can't stand being in the middle
>>
>>25688602
Fuck off

>>25688638
Overcompensating Midwest almost big city faget

>>25688622
Ikr
>>
I too want to move to NYC. I even have a sort of friend out there and a sort of auntie in that one of my moms really good friends lives there.

But I'm a sad poor robot who lives at home and has never really travelled and I'm too anxious to fly. So I'll probably stay home...
>>
File: image.jpg (82KB, 455x323px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
82KB, 455x323px
>>25688430
>you will never take a long, leisurly saunter through Central Park in the middle of winter with your qt3.14 gf.

This is all I want in life t bh f am.

Also I love the architecture of all the 20th century buildings. All that sandstone and exquisite masonry is beautiful.
>>
but that place is hell. cost of living ffs.
>>
>>25688774
That's literally the only bad part and the jobs pay more anyway
>>
File: IMAG00018.jpg (1MB, 2688x1520px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG00018.jpg
1MB, 2688x1520px
>>25688668
This. Fuck 99% of people in this city.

Still a beautiful city though;proud to call it my home.

I'm a native New Yorker, AMA.
>>
>live in Brooklyn
>dream of moving to rural Alaska
Grass is always greener.
>>
I live in Toronto. Close enough.
>>
>>25688638
Chicago seems cool, but just a smaller version of New York.

How's your pizza? I also hear you guys have pretty kickass Mexican and Vietnamese food. What are the girls like over there?
>>
>>25688807
60k homeless ppl

not need to mention those who spend more than half of their paycheck on rent
>>
File: 2684342060_f9f103274c_b.jpg (632KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
2684342060_f9f103274c_b.jpg
632KB, 768x1024px
>>25688430
I would rent one of those 3'x3'x3' storage lockers that place in manhattan runs a $29/month special on. I'd use it as an awesome little cubby hole where I can store some clothes, booze, books, food, and other awesome shit.
>>
Honestly, NYC is pretty gay.

It costs too much to live in some shitty ass little apartment.

The real New Yorkers are all in New Jersey and Pennsylvania by now...all the young people here are midwest transplants that just want to party in BRUCK-LYNE omg
>>
>>25688430
I lived in NYC for two years

Just moved to Canada

there is no joy in the city unless you're rich, then it's a playground. Otherwise the only nice part about living in new york is how cool everyone thinks you are for living in new york

I shared an apartment with two poly furries for two years
>>
>>25688985
Are you an American? How hard is it to move to Canada?

Details pls
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 2048x1366px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 2048x1366px
>>25688430
just end it already f@m
>>
>>25688995
I'm American

Not easy, honestly. I was going to try to do it the professional way, I have all the criteria of a skilled worker. I'm young, childless, experienced in my field, educated with a degree, free of any criminal history.

But they won't take you unless you have $11,000 to your name.

So we got married and filed for spousal immigration. There was a program that ended last December where you could get a work permit if you have a pending application so we put in for that and the application at the same time. Hopefully I get my work permit in a couple months.

To get permanent residency from the states from out of the country, the application processes in about 10 months to a year. As a permanent resident you can live in the states for as many as two years in a five year period, after that you need to reapply.

From in the country, anywhere from like 18 months to two years. And you're encouraged not to leave the country if you have a pending application so it might be a while before I can see my family again. If we leave it should be for good reasons and we need to travel together.

If you are sponsored by a canadian, they are on the hook for you for the next like ten years or something, even if you get divorced. So there's obviously a lot of trust involved, you can't just find a random person and be like "sponsor me!" in addition to it being prison time if they realize you got married for a green card.

The whole application with the work permit included, lawyer consults etc came up to about $1500. You also need to get Federal Police clearence and I believe you need to see a panel doctor where they draw your blood and test you for aids, etc. I did that because I thought I was supposed to but it might not have been necessary for the spousal, not sure. You also need a passport and other assorted documents.

The whole process was like doing my taxes times a hundred. Massive headache.
>>
>set my location to new york on interpals
>within the hour I've accumulated literally hundreds of new messages in my inbox
>>
>>25689180
where are you living in canada?
>>
>>25689180
I forgot to mention, between canada and the US you don't need visas at all. If you want to visit canada you just show up at the border with proof that you aren't trying to move their illegally. So if you're a student with a schedule, have a job, return tickets, a shitton of cash (to support your stay in the country), etc, any possible proof you can give them that you don't want to enter the country and work illegally.

If you can convince a guard, you can stay for up to six months. You shouldn't lie to a guard ("I'm only here for three days" > stay for three months. They can ban you for that) or anything like that.
>>
>>25688874
lol you fucking wish

>>25688668
Angry nerd retard

>>25689180
Why would you do all that work to go to a cold rural shit hole
>>
>>25689276
Yeah, but you can't work in Canada during those six months, right?
>>
>>25689227
Toronto.

If you're wondering, a bus from NYC to Toronto is 12-14 hours and costs anywhere from $20-$100 one way
>>
>>25689302
>cold rural shit hole

There are cities in Canada, you know?
>>
File: its time to stop.jpg (190KB, 1600x1446px) Image search: [Google]
its time to stop.jpg
190KB, 1600x1446px
>>25688430

>not living in chelsea then purchasing an UES townhouse with your chapin wife
>not sending your kids to collegiate
>not taking the 6 train to midtown to your overpaid job as a portfolio manager at a long-short hedge fund
>not playing squash at the union club on the weekends

its like you want to fail
>>
File: 2hUji2m.jpg (607KB, 1280x1920px) Image search: [Google]
2hUji2m.jpg
607KB, 1280x1920px
>>25688874
No, they really aren't comparable. Toronto is better paired with San Francisco or Chicago, maybe even a notch below.
>>
>>25689311
I'm just curious why you would want to live in Toronto over NYC.

NYC is objectively better in basically every way. And don't say price, because there's a shitload of places close to NYC like Jersey City or Hoboken that you could live in.
>>
>>25689302
Toronto is bigger than Chicago, more spread out and the people don't make me want to give myself a lobotomy

Plus, even if they did, I wouldn't have to do it myself because of all the

F R E E
R
E
E

H E A L T H
E
A
L
T
H

C A R E
A
R
E

>>25689308
Correct. gotta save the big bucks beforehand.
>>
File: 144131695936.jpg (1MB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
144131695936.jpg
1MB, 1600x900px
>>25688668
I disagree. I feel the city is the only place I can truly fit in, because no one gives a fuck how you present yourself or what you're doing. For me, at least.
>>
Dude this is a picture of Chicago you retard. This is taken from the lakeshore path just south of North Avenue, you can see the Drake hotel sign in the back.

Lmfao.

Chicago is dope as fuck though, love it here. I live in one of those buildings in the pic.
>>
>>25689386
>you can save money by living in poor, crime-ridden shitholes that are only an hour away from manhattaan
>>
>>25689353
fucking yuppie normie scum

>not hanging out in alphabet city
>not drinking 40s and smoking blunts by the East River
>not begging for 2bros money down in union square or st marks
>not hopping the turnstile to go to some bar in the still kinda shitty parts of brooklyn
>>
>>25689389
Only a very small minority of Americans are without healthcare.

Where did this meme originate?
>>
>>25689389
Why live in Canada though unless your poor
>no ocean
>small cities
>boring
>surrounded by trees
>French people
>shittier than American la Miami and htc

Only advantage is

>free health care
>>
>not living in a rural town with nothing to do ever and only 3 kids within biking distance your age, all of which are older than you
>>
>>25689417
Try like 20 mins away
>>
>>25689451
Its not that Americans are without healthcare, its just that we Canadians simply don't have to pay for it in the same way you do. We pay via taxes, but can have multi-million dollar surgeries once a year and never pay a dime. You guys, you break your leg, that's a lot of damn money for something us mapleshits consider to be a basic right.
>>
>>25689389
You're an idiot. Canadian healthcare is SHIT compared to the US.
>>
I live in Sydney, it's kinda like that??
>>
>>25689498
I don't have to pay anything either. My health coverage is paid in-full by my employer and salary negotiations make no mention regarding healthcare.
>>
>>25689498
It's called insurance, dipshit.

If you're covered, which everyone is, you can have multi-million dollar surgeries and it will only cost like $50 out of pocket.

AND you can get it done next week, not next year.
>>
>>25689509
How so?

This is not snark or sarcasm by the way, I've just lived in Canada my whole life and have no other frame of reference besides some American relatives in the healthcare industry.
>>
>>25689389
I don't give a shit about the majority of americans. I PERSONALLY couldn't afford healthcare. I worked for $12/hour and Obamacare for me was $350/month HAHAHAno I had to cancel after a single month

>>25689462
Canada has oceans you stupid fuck. And lakes. And big cities. And tons of shit to do. Trees are good for you.

>>25689386
NYC is fun if you're rich. I wasn't rich. I was poor. All I did was work and cry about how lonely I was.

Everyone is sleeping around with everyone, everyone is morally bankrupt, no one wants anything to do with you unless you have something they can use from you. Everyone talks like there's someone in their head writing a script for them. The school system is a joke and I honestly can't think of a single person more deplorable than a native New Yorker
>>
>>25689558
>How so?

Superior quality, shorter wait times, more modern innovative procedures etc
>>
File: keywest.jpg (407KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
keywest.jpg
407KB, 1280x853px
>>25689580
Sorry palarino, but Canada doesn't really have beaches that look like this.
>>
>>25689548

I wish you would tell that to my father who's in debt paying for his chemo even with a state job

Oh wait you're a burbie who never knew real struggle, never mind your highness I am merely a half-leaded colored peasant your Whiteness
>>
>>25689620
Stfu I'm not even rich.
>>
>>25689558
He's referring to the quality of care, probably. It's like private vs public school

Because in the states we pay for everything personally, the quality of care is very high. Doctors are very very liable for malpractice (any chance for insurance to make a claim) so they keep their shit tight. In addition to that, because you're paying for it, you get more tests and more detailed care

In Canada because the whole country is paying for it, they're not gonna be running a whole lot of extra and random tests that might not do anything. Where as in America you just say "I want it so give it to me" and they do

You can get private healthcare in Canada too, btw.
>>
>>25689614
I grew up in Florida. I don't miss them, honestly. I can always visit again but it's not like I went to the beach a lot when I fucking lived there.
>>
>>25689580
Depends on which social circle you hang out with, but that happens anywhere, with anyone from any social circle.

The schools really are a joke here though, thank god I never went to public high school or else I would really be a piece of shit. CUNY is pretty decent, it's obviously no Ivy League or private university, but the people who attend the schools in it suck bags and bags of dicks.

All native New Yorkers are assholes, it's just part of our upbringing. We're stubborn and not shy about our bone-headed opinions, BUT old school New Yorkers are far worse. I'm at least liberal when it comes to gender/sexuality stuff and some race issues(although, being exposed to various types of ethnics really does help you realize that we all fucking suck), but they're super homophobic, super racist, bible thumping pieces of rat waste.
>>
>>25689614

neither does new york
you're also on /r9k/ so like that guy said earlier in the thread, I doubt you use it. when were you last at the beach?
>>
>>25689744
shut up you gay faggot
>>
>>25689769
kick rocks
>>
>>25689580
Native New Yorker here, this is spot on, I can't wait to move to Canada.
>>
>>25689744
>trying to make it sound like a city of sociopaths is charming and endearing

In two years in New York I couldn't make any real human connection with anyone

In two months in Canada I have a huge circle of friends

They aren't in defense mode because 8 million people aren't trying to rip them off at every turn.

The ONLY neat thing that I liked about NYC was playing guitar in the subway. It was both fun, exciting, and terrifying.

That, and getting ice cream delivered to my apartment at 2am
>>
>>25689492
Hoboken and JC are still fucking expensive you dumbass where do you think most of Wall Street lives you're not finding some super secret hidden location they're towns that have been gentrifying for the last 10-15 years.

And I like how you're not touching on the asspull-tier taxes (state and federal) on top of the lack of 2A rights and insane house costs. Did you know that people actually own their houses in other cities? And that for the price of a shitty condo in Howard Beach (still a full fucking hour away from Manhattan) I can get 2 1/2 Acres and a house (yes, A ACTUAL HOUSE like you see in LAWNG ISLAND) in suburban Houston (Magnolia)?

>>25689744
>schools with lower-class-middle class people whose students usually are beyond the 18-25 age range and work full time are full of shitty people
>waaaah why isn't it berkeley california

you know what why dont you fuck right off transplant shithead
>>
>>25689744
You say that people like that happen everywhere in every social circle

But you know what? You're goddamn wrong. How do you even know? You're a fucking new yorker.

I grew up in Florida. I've lived in Colorado, Portland, Rochester, small town Oregon, NYC and Canada.

And nowhere in my entire life have I ever been as worn down by the onslaught and constant offense of dead-inside cow-eyed numb-souled robots like I was in NYC
>>
>tfw grew up in the projects of NY
>tfw "street smart" and as NY as you're gonna get nowadays
>hated NY and wanted to go out of here, went away for college
>now just want to go back, didn't realize what I was taking for granted

I fucking hate non new yorkers im sorry you people are too fucking slow and pussy.
>>
>>25689845
On the one hand I want to tell you to suck it up and that's what you get for being a little transplant bitch

But on the other hand, moving to a big city must suck and it's a feeling I'll probably never experience.

You just didn't meet the right people to offset the rest of the shit that you encountered during your time here. That, and you learn how things work after a while, you just didn't have enough time or experience to acclimate.

What was it like playing guitar on the train? What lines did you frequent the most?
>>
>>25689897
haha no dude, I've lived here my whole life. I was just agreeing with what the other poster said, the schools really do suck over here, and it's mainly because of the people who attend them

i wasn't disputing that fact
>>
>>25689955
I stayed on the platforms

Usually the Queensboro plaza N/Q platform

also the 5th ave N

I kept telling myself I'd play on the N platform in Times Square but I'd always psych myself out before then
>>
>>25689978
as a person who goes to a cuny i take offense just because everyone knows its shit, no one ACTUALLY wants to be there. most of the people there also work full time in some way, which is why you go to a cuny in the first place.

they're just there because its ridiculously cheap and a lot of jobs require the piece of paper. it IS a shit school. but its also a $3000-4000 a year school with somewhat decent professors (only because a lot of them run back and forth working at other private schools, I had a good amount that worked at St Johns/Hofstra/Columbia/Stony Brook too)

yeah you're paying $4000/yr you can go to a suny like albany/binghamton that's "better" (more name recognition, student support, campus life/parties, etc) for twice that amount but you'll be losing money (inability to work + dorming and having to come up with money)
>>
>>25689913
I know because of a thing called the internet, or television?

I have friends from out of state who go through the same problems you listed, and since it's so prevalent in reality shows, which normies love to emulate, I can safely assume it happens anywhere people of our age group are exposed to some kind of media
>>
>>25689942
Are you going to school in the south? I've always heard about how slow and relaxed everything there is compared to here in NY.
>>
>>25689989
Really? I go through queensboro every other day or so to get to work, I've never seen anyone playing on those platforms. You should have played at Times Square, 5th ave is dead as fuck all of the time. You should have also played on the G and L lines where all the hipsters are, they would have loved you.
>>
>>25690060
>thinks television portrays human connection accurately

See, this is exactly the problem I'm talking about

This is exactly what I mean when I say everyone talks like there's someone in there head writing a script for them (as mentioned >>25689580)

Everyone says what they think they're supposed to say, what they think sounds real, what they think is genuine

it's not genuine or real

it's what they think is supposed to be genuine and real

dead-soul robots that don't know any better because they've never left their fucking tin can long enough to breathe deeply and have a real human connection with themselves and others
>>
>>25690097
I left a few months ago and I would only play on weekends in four hour windows usually from 12-4 because the trains run slower then and people are stuck longer on the platform listening to you. too little time means more opportunity to ignore me

5th avenue is slow but the time between trains let me really let it go and I loved the sound of my voice echoing over the platform. I could really fill it up when I was feeling it. I wasn't really doing it for money, it was more like practice. Only a couple times I did it to make ends meet
>>
>>25690056
You're misunderstanding me, I totally agree about the CUNY schools themselves. They're cheap, the professors take their jobs seriously, and you're getting a well rounded education. It's the people that attend them that suck. They're all either fuckboy brown people from Queens, or fuckboy asians, they all study business, they're all lame as fucking hell or think they're deep and intellectual because they're studying philosophy or english or some humanities bullshit.

I go to Queens College, trust me, I know what I'm talking about
>>
>>25690111
You misread what I was saying. I don't think tv is an accurate representation, but others, mainly normies, do. Normies are found everywhere, ESPECIALLY outside of a big city, so it's safe to assume they're going to act out what they see on tv because they're so susceptible to it
>>
Fuck it. Let's all just move to Canada and do shrooms together

Find yourselves, robots. Tap into your soul before it dies.
>>
File: 4423194002_2496b9bfc8_z.jpg (144KB, 500x305px) Image search: [Google]
4423194002_2496b9bfc8_z.jpg
144KB, 500x305px
>>25689614
this is english bay in vancouver
>>
>>25688843
Is it as charming as it seems on Seinfeld?
>>
>>25690183
Well yeah, that's more the demographics of the area than anything. You find they're worse at every school in Long Island (Hofstra, Stony Brook, St John's comes to mind) because that's where the ones who have daddy's money get sent to.

I go to LAGCC anyways, most of the people here have jobs.
>>
I live in NYC and I don't even have friends.
>>
File: 1435851853219.jpg (19KB, 394x297px) Image search: [Google]
1435851853219.jpg
19KB, 394x297px
>>25688430
>tfw live west of NYC in NJ by about 10-20 minutes
This whole area of the country should be nuked. I can't stand it here.
>>
File: wallhaven-27447.jpg (629KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
wallhaven-27447.jpg
629KB, 1920x1200px
I'd rather live in Tokyo or Hong Kong.

You get all of that, you don't have to deal with New Yorkers, you get to see QT Asians all day, AND you get to drive amazing Japanese cars.
>>
moving to nyc in a year
already tryin to brace myself for the fucking taxes and rent
>>
>>25689407
i know that feel...felt the same way when I was in Tokyo...something about everyone OBVIOUSLY not giving a fuck about you is comforting in an odd sort of way
>>
>>25690383
Yes, it is. Seinfeld does a good job of not ridiculously over-hyping . Even though they only filmed exterior shots in the city, the scenes when they're walking around really do capture the upper west side: boring, stuffy, and extremely Jewish.
>>
>>25690398
Oh yeah totally, fuck those people too. I've only met a handful of people who go to SJ and SB and they were rich spoiled kids from the burbs.

LGCC is two stops away from me haha, but I decided to go to QCC instead. Is it still mostly Korean over there or did they abandon ship already?
>>
>>25690075

i am. South Florida. its fucking hellish
>>
>>25688900
Not him but I'm in Chicago. Awesome food everywhere. It's probably the best part about this city besides the beautiful skyline and lights at night
>>
>>25690848
I'm upstate ny want to change

It's cold empty filthy and ugly literally the opposite
>>
>>25690885

upstate NY isn't NY.

i hail from queens, the only last traditional NY bastion except maybe the bronx. and even now we're getting fucked up

id kill myself if i went upstate. pretty place though.
>>
>>25690909
Would it be worth it to go to nyc homeless? Could I eventually figure something out?
>>
>>25690949

OK, you know how they call it the city of dreams? that jay-z song and all of that?

NY has so many contacts and opportunities, but only if you have something and if you're assertive. its not worth it if you're a meek motherfucker who flinches at the slightest sign of anger.

further more, NY is shit for homeless people because most of the population here does not give a shit, unless you're part of a neighborhood and have been homeless for years. then you get a nickname and some respect. but that's it. if you really wanna come over to the city, you need a drive, motivation, balls and a plan in mind. don't wing it and see what sticks, or you'll become a statistic.
>>
>>25691041
Nigga I don't mean dedicate my life as a homeless faggot I mean get a job or 2 and rent a shit hole slum
>>
>>25691079

>rent a shithole slum

what's your race b
>>
>>25690949
its currently 23 F and windy

yeah sure go for it

>>25691079
oh yeah just like everyone else in this city in the last 5 years going 5-10 into some shitassfuck house/apartment as room mates

enjoy paying $1200 for a bedroom i guess
>>
>>25690251
That's my plan.
That and rob drug dealers till I go back to jail again.
>>
>>25691189

people treat our city like its fucking heaven

i mean i fucking love it to death, wouldn't be me without it, but fuck if retards need to stop with the fantasy
>>
>>25690446
I'm a native new yorker, my life dream here. Osaka and Tokyo were like New York but clean, nice people, and none of the niggers and obnoxious bums.
>>
File: 145259804456410.jpg (406KB, 700x456px) Image search: [Google]
145259804456410.jpg
406KB, 700x456px
born and raised in new york

can't wait to go back. California is draining the life out of me
>>
>>25690446
Problem with Tokyo is that there's no drugs and harsh laws against them.

Fuck that. NYC is better.
>>
>>25690446
all the racist stereotypes for white people in Japan are caused by stupid gaijin carfags going to Tokyo.
>>
>>25691189
How is every bedroom in nyc 1200 a month you'd have to making like 40k a year I doubt every person in nyc living on their own has a decent job
>>
>>25691398
Most people live in NJ or the outer boroughs, where it's cheaper.

Or have roommates.
>>
>>25688430
You need friends to do any of those. It just feels worse when you have no friends and know people are having fun.
>>
>>25688430
fuck ny. obnoxious faggots who speak like they have a perpetual cock in their mouth with their stupid accents. but there is a silver lining. whenever i start to get sad about 9/11, i just remember most of them were nyers and then it's ok.
>>
>>25691387
thats not how you spell us soldiers aka navy/muhreens and weeaboos

tokyo sucks anyways most japanese car culture is further out

>>25691398
choose one

>living with parents/family
>rent control
>a decent job
>public housing
>having a 45-90 minute commute
>roommates
>owning their property/house and renting out the floors above
>>
>>25691460

you're thinking of Boston you dumb fuck. we talk like we're angry but relaxed
>>
>>25691484
>>25691446
Obviously I would expect roommates and outer boroughs I didn't expect a private Manhattan apartment
>>
File: 1450557122761.jpg (522KB, 1536x1414px) Image search: [Google]
1450557122761.jpg
522KB, 1536x1414px
>>25688430
LITERALLY POSTED A PICTURE OF CHICAGO.

That's the Drake Hotel in the background, looking south on Lake Shore Drive, you dumb fuck.
>>
>>25691573

again what's your race retard

because if you're white good luck getting cheap ass housing and living. being completely honest.
>>
who /bronx/ here
>>
>>25691573
then your housing costs go from "fucking retarded" to "if i lived in tampa/houston/dallas/phoenix i'd have a house or at least a condo in a gated community all to myself"

alternatively "if i lived anywhere else in america i'd be renting out or even buying a whole damn house"

>>25691594
he'd be fucked if he was black and made money, do you know how long the waiting list for public housing still is? "affordable housing" that isn't a nycha complex doesn't apply once you make over $45-50k.
>>
>>25691594
I'm aryan but I don't care if I die or where I live as long as it's not rural
>>
>>25691633
So as long as I live in the Bronx or Brooklyn or something it'd be somewhat affordable I'd just be broke and paying most my checks towards rent?
>>
>>25691618

/queens/ here nice fucking season your yanks had you stupid fucks

you guys are the only real part of NY left, Brooklyn is gentrified, Manhattan has always been dead, nobody gives a fuck about SI and Queens is getting fucked by Brooklyn spillovers. Stay strong brother
>>
>>25691657
pretty much yeah

you'd have a 45-60 minute commute, you'd be living in anywhere from a ok-ghettoish shithole (look up how much apartments and rooms go for on craigslist), you'd have to deal with shitty new york winters, you'd be paying a extra 20% in taxes for living in nyc, you'll never own a gun and owning a car is a fucking shitty experience on its own, and once you step foot in here you'll get trapped by the vortex of suck that's nyc that has people live here their whole lives until they break free and retire south.

on that note, no one actually retires from the south/southwest to the northeast. but plenty of people do the opposite.

>>25691675
south brooklyn is still pretty original. and SI's obscurity is nice, keeps housing costs somewhat "low"
>>
>>25691740
Why does living in Brooklyn mean you have a commute? Doesn't Brooklyn has a fuckton of jobs? Everyone makes it sound like you have to travel an hour because you don't live in Manhattan there's no way Manhattan is the source of the jobs
>>
>>25691781

most well paying opportunities are in Manhattan. most people's lives are wake up at 5-6am, take train to Manhattan, leave manhattan, dinner, sleep.
>>
i may be going on a trip there. whats it really like? and any tips?
>>
>>25691811

get NY pizza, like find some good mom and pops. get some NY Italian in general. dont walk around like an idiot or stand in peoples way. learn how to take the train and read maps.

personally, id visit Vernon Jackson if I'm visiting with a friend or a girl, or even family. its beautiful at night.
>>
>>25691811
>i may be going on a trip there. whats it really like? and any tips?

Tbh, nyc these days is like a giant small town. There's no real tips it's just a tourist heaven
>>
>>25691862
>NY pizza

A fucking meme

The best new york pizza I've had was in Elizabeth New Jersey; Santillos Pizza in Bayway. Long Island has had some good pizza too
>>
>>25691918

i don't mean Manhattan meme pizza that has giant tourist lines

i mean head to Brooklyn or queens and find a nice little place.

long island pizza is pretty decent tho
>>
File: peibeach.jpg (346KB, 800x630px) Image search: [Google]
peibeach.jpg
346KB, 800x630px
>>25689614

Moving the goalposts much?

Canada has beautiful beaches. Are they tropical beaches? No. No one ever claimed they were.

They're still amazing.
>>
>>25691675
It's really weird to see /queens/ being gentrified, I honestly would have never dreamed of that happening.
Brooklyn was a complete shithole too but I always thought /queens/ was too much of a shithole for that to happen.
>>
>>25689302
But he's right.NYC is a fucking cesspool of normies & tumblrites.
>Having to pay for metro,which gets price hikes every so often
>Mayor is a literal cuck
>Everything is grimy & shit
>Rent is up the fucking roof
>Homeless people everywhere you go
>Shit in Manhattan is overpriced as fuck
>>
>>25691811
Don't piss off the residents.Like this anon said >>25691876 it's tourist heaven,but very expensive.
>>
>>25688430
That's literally a picture of Chicago
>>
File: 111448941531.jpg (236KB, 540x760px) Image search: [Google]
111448941531.jpg
236KB, 540x760px
But I do live in New York in a bad black neighborhood
I do walk the streets with friends
>>
>>25688430

How does it feel not living in the most populated, largest, highest GNP city in the world?

The land that the Imperial palace sits on is worth more than the entire state of California. Think about that.
>>
File: top_img_04_04.jpg (85KB, 327x200px) Image search: [Google]
top_img_04_04.jpg
85KB, 327x200px
>>25693796

upload failed

398m0vc8k,4v0
>>
>Wanting to live in a highly populated city
>Claims he's a robot
Nah, fuck off
>>
>>25693292
it's a great city, if you're not a poor pathetic wagecuck.
>>
>>25693929
This. who the fuck would want to live in NYC or LA unless they where extremely extroverted or a far left tumblrina
>>
File: 236081.jpg (31KB, 225x350px) Image search: [Google]
236081.jpg
31KB, 225x350px
>tfw live in rural Maine
>tfw everything is miles apart
>tfw dress like I'm homeless even compared to scuzzy bumpkins
>tfw can't do anything useful
>tfw wouldn't even know how to live in a big city
>>
>Live in Montreal
>Wonderful metro that can take me anywhere in the city
>Suburbs with huge houses only a twenty minute drive from the downtown core (unlike Toronto where it's ~40 minutes)
>Wonderful atmosphere with every group and niche imaginable
>Beautiful public parks, one of which was made by the same planner that did Central Park in NYC and is just as big
>Possibly the city with the most attractive people in it outside of Europe
>Warm 30 celsius in Summer, comfy -20 celsius in Winter

It's pretty great, to be honest.

Only downsides:

>More corrupt in terms of mafia involvement than any other city in Canada or the U.S.
>Women are stuck up (so are the men, I imagine, but I don't swing that way)
>Language issues and tensions... The French have a history of disliking the English and vice versa
>>
>>25694953

i know this rural maine feel too
>>
>>25691387
>People who like Japanese cars
>Somehow worse than Weaboos, English teachers, military, and niggers.

Most Japanese car lovers don't even go to Japan, they just destroy civics in their own country.
>>
I live in NYC and it's nothing like the movies. Everyone hates each other and you're constantly paranoid about getting jumped by a pack of feral niggers or getting whacked. There's also too many sjws/jews and everyone has aids.
>>
This thread is the equivalent of "I saw how cool Japan looked in my Animes, so now I want to go there."
>>
File: 1452094120626.jpg (31KB, 201x272px) Image search: [Google]
1452094120626.jpg
31KB, 201x272px
I seriously am questioning if OP is just a 14 year old girl who absorbed too many New York memes
>>
At least you fags don't live in fucking NJ. This state sucks dick.
>>
File: 1452444278370.jpg (58KB, 540x531px) Image search: [Google]
1452444278370.jpg
58KB, 540x531px
>wanting to live in this cesspool of degenerates in the streets of New york City

you know someday a real rain will come and wash all this scum off the streets.
>>
>>25689389
>Toronto is bigger than Chicago
This is so incredibly wrong. Chicago is almost twice the size of Toronto
>>
>>25688430
I live in the bronx, I don't get why faggots adore nyc/manhattan, even manhattan is dingy and dirty (the bronx is way worse).
NYC is just not that great.
>>
>>25688761
Robberies are up in central park, you'll probably get jacked and your gf raped.
http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/broadway-actress-attacked-raped-central-park-article-1.1388897
>>
>>25688430
I live 20 minutes away by train and go there once a month. Having food available at every corner is nice and I also got shitfaced there once and took the train home, but I hate the hordes of people.
Were I live it's so nice that the community is smaller so I see people I know. In NY no ones talks. It's like were a bucnh of fucking work ants. Everyone is on auto pilot and it's really depressing.
>>
>>25689744
>but they're super homophobic, super racist, bible thumping pieces of rat waste
Go away you retarded tumblr faggot, I wish NYC would ban immigration from flyover states you romantic nitwits shit up the city and then cry when people aren't as hardcore lefty as you.
Consider suicide fuckwit.
>>
>>25691618
/bronx/ here, went to a shitty ghetto high school with metal detectors
>>
I'd rather live in a nice conservative mountain town without the White hick trailer trash.
>No light, sound, and air pollution.
You can see the stars!
>No fucking weird ass panhandlers in CD outfits.
>Everyone is just so absorbed into themselves, they could care less about anything.
>You have to be rich to live in NYC.
>A great target hotspot for nukes, terrorism, and war.

I honestly don't get the appeal of NYC. Everyone I ever met wanted to go there. All I need is a small house, internet, a job, car, food, vidya, and phone. All this other bullshit like Best Buy, congested streets, and [insert famous mall in NYC here] is just shilling at its finest. Honestly, even if I was rich, I'd avoid that city like the plague. My mom used to be a semi-truck driver and she said that it was such an awful dirty place.
>>
>>25696667
It's so they can be guilt free whores without a community that holds them morally responsible for their behavior.
>>
>>25690183
Could not be more fucking true. Speaking of queens college its all asians from the surrounding area who vehemently stick too themselves, jews who stick to themselves and assorted fuckboi brown people too. Absolutely annoying as shit but its nice that its one of the only CUNYs that has a nice campus
>>
>>25688430
Ctfag here. I'm close enough to NYC that I can tell you with certainty its over rated.
>>
>>25688622
NYC hasn't been "gritty" since the mid 90s.
>>
>>25696667
agree with everything here

But I never saw a Best Buy in two years living there. There are no box stores, no targets or walmarts (unless you're willing to drive out of the city which is an event on its own). If you want to go shopping it's seriously an all day event finding seven different stores that sell what you need and they're all over the fucking place in your neighborhood. It's overpriced and cash only. Or you can go to fifth avenue and experience the financial equivalent of being roofied and fucked in an alleyway.

>>25696693
not only that but they downright encourage deplorable behavior because it absolves them

"be the best ho you can be"

I can't begin to tell you how many times I've heard this unironically

At some point it's not about if you can get laid. Anyone can get laid. It's not about how much sex you're having or you'll sleep with a hundred people in a year before you realize what you've done. It's about having some goddamn self respect and realizing that your body is a precious resource that you are depleting and WASTING

>>25697151
You got the message that NYC was gritty and raw which started to spread in the 80s when it was. Haven't you heard of gentrification?
>>
>>25689498
You niggers also wait list non major procedures for years. I know people who have taken out loans and traveled to the us for back surgeries because its cheaper for Canada to put them on disability and make them wait, then it is to treat them.
>>
I like the South. It can't be nearly as boring as the midwest but not crowded like the NE.
>>
I have lived in NYC. Have no friends and only been on one date.

That said, I can go places alone without needing a car and can spend that time alone without even so much as a glance.

It's a city for normies and robots alike.
>>
File: IMG_20150704_125628.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150704_125628.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
>Coney Island native
>watched it go from vibrant local attraction, to an abandoned ghost town, to a national tourist trap
>in the summer it's more crowded than Times Square so local businesses boom
>rent is cheap because it's mostly projects and over an hour away from the city
>neighborhood feels like a parallel universe of its own; there's always something fun to do here
>absorb some vitamin d while playing volleyball on the beach
>grab a hotdog at Nathan's and a beer at the freakshow bar
>watch the Friday night fireworks on the boardwalk
>have bonfire parties at the creek near Seagate
>detox from all the vodka beer and weed at Mermaid Spa with the fellow slavs
>share a pie from the 89 year old pizzeria Totonno's with your other degenerate friends
>have sex on the beach when it's late at night and the only other people there are trying to have sex too
>this was just one day for me

I'm glad it's so far from the city and Williamsburg. Fucking yuppies won't dream of moving here. Pic related, this is just down the street for me, early morning of July 4th.
>>
>>25697439
why are you here? you don't belong here. go away.
>>
>>25697439
Cheap projects? So I can live there?
>>
>>25697439
>specifically calling out williamsburg like it's the greatest sin

I used to work in williamgsburg, it wasn't so bad. I was pretty glad that it was gentrified because I had to take two busses home at 2am and people would routinely stop to tell me they have been watching and see me waiting for like an hour every night for the bus. thankfully they were all harmless

like fuck that man I'm not in the business of getting mugged on my way home from work

also

>got my phone wallet and keys stolen on the beach. flag down police and explain what happened. "You're not from brooklyn, huh?" NO you jerk I'm from Queens now can you DO YOUR JOB AND HELP ME?

fuck coney island

fuck it with a rake
>>
>>25691618
/bronx/ native here, please fucking help
>>
>>25697616
there is a fine line between "can" and "should"

you will be surrounded by ex-cons and people that are too poor to do any better. you will be a target because no one WANTS to live like that. moving into an area like that as an outsider might as well just get out of the taxi cab and scream "PLEASE RAPE MY FACE AND STEAL MY MONEY"
>>
>>25691675
you know what, I consistently ignore this fact because I try and embrace this frustrating but great city for what it is. Im from the Bronx but always went to school in queens (long story) and your right. I find myself angry at the attitude and demeanor of the hipsters and transplants, but somethings they bring over are nice. One gets tired of the Kennedy fried chicken and pizza spot sooner or later.

Its just that they never seem to integrate to the fullest extent. I go buy something of the L train lets say. I strike up conversation with one of them and I mention im from the Bronx and i get weird looks. The city is bigger than your neighborhood and it was here before you. Try leaving your neighborhood a bit.
>>
File: bethebest.jpg (28KB, 600x414px) Image search: [Google]
bethebest.jpg
28KB, 600x414px
>>25697175
>>25696693
>>25696667
you go girl, don't let anyone tell you how to live your life
>>
>>25691675
By the way im the same poster as >>25697701.

The Bronx is beginning to get new people here too, maybe a small amount of transplants but its happening. Come around parkchester and you'll see the transplants taking the 6 train with you. In what used to be Puerto rican and black neighborhoods, I got Bengali,paki and Chinese families living with me now. A mosque next to a catholic church. Things are changing, what remains are low income rates. But maybe attitudes will begin to change.

Its time for blacks, Puerto ricans and Dominicans to move out, the Bronx is a stopping ground in america to get your bearings. The Italians, Jews and Germans already left the bronx, the cycle continues. Puerto ricans are already leaving.
>>
>>25697502
We can all live in harmony friend, just b urself.

>>25697616
If you don't mind niggers sure. They usually keep to themselves as most white people here are ex soviets and no one wants to fuck with them, rightfully so. Look on the map and use MCU Park as a reference. North oriented, left of it is niggers, right of it is slavshits. Being a slavshit myself I stick with them, but both mind their own business around here.

>>25697625
Yeah I guess it was a low blow on Williamsburg. I just saw how it changed and I don't want that to happen to Coney.

And I'm sorry you got robbed. But that happens everywhere. I lived here all my life and that never happened to me. But really don't leave valuables unattended and expect the NYPDickbags to take you seriously.
>>
>>25692162
I didn't think queens was a shithole when I was coming up. Sure i thought it wasn't "real NYC", but as time went on I saw it for the residential multi ethnic place it really was, its pretty cool.

Regardless of your political views, its a resting place for people to who either just got to America or people who plan on staying. You get to see the melting actually happen. Most people don't want any problems in NYC. If transplants are going to come here then they'd better figure out they're a drop in the bucket. They don't dictate what makes this city worth it anymore, don't look down on neighborhoods that were here before you.
>>
>>25695342
All the Jews are in Manhattan or kew gardens pretty much, maybe old Brooklyn neighborhoods on eastern parkway, its not a problem. They always stayed to themselves anyway, relax.
>>
>>25697439
I don't know why, but people from the Bronx tend to think Brooklyn is fucking nuts. The same for people from Brooklyn talking about the Bronx. My mom said Coney was a war zone when I was a kid and shouldn't go lol. It is a bit shady but I would still go.
>>
File: 2014-11-03-Just-Sit-Idly-Die.jpg (258KB, 900x582px) Image search: [Google]
2014-11-03-Just-Sit-Idly-Die.jpg
258KB, 900x582px
>>25688430

I've been living back and forth between Trenton, Philly, and NY all my life. Frankly, every major city in the north-east seems completely fucked.

>>25689913
>Portland

How was living in Portland?
>>
>>25694890

big cites are the most introverted places family.
>>
>>25697673
So I'll just not bring my phone and only carry around a debit card hidden in my shit and not go out at night for a couple weeks
>>
Is $120k a year viable enough in NYC?

I'm a NY native making $50k in Orlando currently doing web development and want to move back there.
>>
>>25698030
Also completely fucked.

I moved to Portland the year before Portlandia came out. I didn't know that it was supposed to be a popular city at the time, I was just going there because I met someone online that I wanted to be closer to

When I got there I was pleasantly surprised by the culture of it. People that aren't hipsters are basically hipsters, if you take them out of their environment and put them somewhere else, they're a hipster.

And it was actually pretty cool. Where I was before I was just an autist but in Portland my autism is basically embraced as individuality

The next year Portlandia came out

At that point it was like that gif of a gecko being eaten by ants. Portland is the gecko and the ants are people that want to live like that

Rent shot up immediately. I had a place downtown next to pioneer square (they used to call it Portland's living room) that was low income housing and it was the coolest first apartment ever

There's also a really weird homeless community in Portland of people that choose to be homeless. Also people that call themselves Freegans. Takes hippie to a whole new level. The panhandlers were out of control when I lived there, they are on every street and even if you go out of your way to avoid making eye contact and catching there attention, they will get in your face with their rehearsed sob story

at first it was hard but after like a few months you harden up and you just keep walking

I left the next year because it started to get a little crazy

my friends that are from Portland and remain are horrified because everything is so much more expensive and rent is going up and the roads are congested and now everyone is a douchebag transplant there's literally nothing they can do about

the other thing is that it's not even Portlandia's fault. Portland's reputation was drawing in transplants for a while, Portlandia was just the damn breaking, the bubble bursting
>>
>>25688430
>living in nigger york
>>
>>25694890
it's actually the perfect place to live in isolation

I never felt more alone

there are so many people, no one notices you, no one gives a single shit about you, they've got their own problems and their own world to think about. It's the real-world 4chan. you're totally anonymous.

there's a reason why they call it "small-town drama" because there are no distractions in small towns, everyone is petty by default for entertainment
>>
>>25698186

>People that aren't hipsters are basically hipsters, if you take them out of their environment and put them somewhere else, they're a hipster.
I feel like thats most people from the west coast.

Shit man, I was considering moving there in the next year or two. Contacted a real estate agent and everything already. If the prices are going up, and the new hippies go around with sob stories to butter up and get something off somebody, then, I doubt I'd fit in much as an equally but zero tolerance social autist.

Recommend any small towns in Oregon? That was my first consideration before Portland. I had been considering a coastal area like Newsport.
Think I'd be better
>>
>>25698307
match for it considering the former issues*
>>
>>25688430
>tfw i had that exact experience
>best friend invites me to house sit at his cousin's apt on the 6th floor in tribeca
>tfw being 18 years old we had beer delivered to apt no i.d. necessary
> we were there for nye and took subway near times square
>found qt gypsie subway guitar player chick to tag along with us and show us a bar that didnt i.d. us
>got super drunk at irish pub
>got to walk around the city by myself and explore
>god i miss that so much
>>
>>25698307
Eugene is a super hippie college town but it's cheaper and I liked living there. If you like weed and blowing glass you'll fit right in.

In terms of matching it, I think you'd like Austin texas. I was going to move to Austin TX before I fell in love with a Canadian but I hear it's like the Portland of the south, it just hasn't reached Aust-landia levels yet

I realized that I kept moving to cities that are "cool" instead of finding a place on my own and making the most of it.
>>
>>25698361
>>25698361
Why'd you leave
>>
>>25690848
What school are you at
>>
>>25690111
Tell me about the ducks in Central Park.
>>
>>25699040
too distracted by all the rats in central park to notice them
>>
>>25698687
Because the cousin and her boyfriend came back to town and we didnt want to extend our stay if it wasnt welcome. The bf was kind of a dick and we didnt know him that well. Also I was pretty broke at the time wouldnt have been able to afford to stay. I hope I can visit again someday when i have more money lol.
>>
>>25697968
I think the biggest thing is the distance. Holy fuck even with a car The Bronx is so far from me. I was there recently visiting a friend I begged him to meet halfway in Manhattan next time. Visit Coney in the summer. It's a ghost town and super boring in the winter if you don't know anyone.

>>25698152
Sure, it won't be luxury but you can get a great place in a great neighborhood with a six figure income. My friend has a huge prewar apartment in Mapleton and he only makes 30k a year.

Then again he's living with his girlfriend and she helps pay it too. But you get the idea.
>>
Anyone willing to meet in the manhatten/Columbia university area that is selling pot? My snapchat is Nickaaroncoll. Lulz
>>
File: Providence-Rhode-Island[1].jpg (156KB, 900x601px) Image search: [Google]
Providence-Rhode-Island[1].jpg
156KB, 900x601px
>Not living in a comfy medium size city

Get fucked
>>
>>25698152
I was making like $25k a year and with two roommates in queens, it's easy.

My boss was making like $40k a year and she also had roommates in brooklyn.

splitting a place with someone increases your odds of getting a better place

>>25700015
that apartment was rent controlled, I'm sure.
>>
>>25688430
>>you'll never be able to meet up with your friend drunk because you have trains instead of cars
just walk or take the bus fucking retard
>>
>live in centre of leeds, yorkshire
>never leave my flat
>get stabbed if i go outside at night
Thread posts: 194
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.