[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, robots, for once I've decided to be the OP instead of

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

File: this_is_me_right_now.jpg (26KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
this_is_me_right_now.jpg
26KB, 480x360px
So, robots, for once I've decided to be the OP instead of the lurker to seek your advice.

I just finished one of those talks with my mom, regarding what am I going to study in university and ofcourse that led to the talk about what am I doing with my life and what do I want to become, etc. It is so sad seeing her be so concerned while I just can't force myself to give a damn.
It's even harder since all the popular degrees people around me are inclined to like economics, computer science, law, seem so uninteresting to me. For the first time I feel the pressure to make some sort of commitment or atleast get some direction in my life. Fuck.

Another thing that doesn't help is that all the degrees I find interesting are deemed useless, or "live on the street"-tier like Psychology, Botany and a few others,

Im coming to you, fellow robots with a question:
What the fuck should I study?
>>
>>25673584
If you're going to get a worthless, unemployable degree then there is no point in going to college. College is a huge investment in your future, and if it isn't "profitable" I don't see the point unless you like learning.

Still, I suggest that you don't choose a degree you don't like, just because you think you'll make a lot of money in the future. Are you committed to finish your degree even if you don't like it? College is different from hs because you have to be accountable for yourself, since your professors aren't going to baby you to keep you from failing.

I really have no idea about the job prospects for botany, but I know a guy who is studying for something plant related and was able to get an internship with a company in Italy.
>>
I'm in the same predicament as you, OP, and I've decided ton do like >>25673851 suggested. I was going to study English, now I'm going to study mechanical engineering. That's just how the world goes, boys.
>>
>>25673851
Im in the same situation as OP.
>don't want to waste my family's money on a worthless, unemployable degree
>don't want to waste my energy,happiness and time studying a degree I don't like
>don't want to disappoint my family by not studying anything
>am scared that if I study sth I like I won't have a job
>am scared that if I study sth I don't like I won't be happy in the future or will drop out
>am scared of what will become of me if I don't go to college

Fuck me, why does life have to be so hard, I just want to be a stupid high school kid and smoke weed with my few friends. Suddenly these friends are pursuing their interests and seem to have it all figured out while Im stuck in a rut.

Is this what an existential crysis feels like?
>>
>>25673584
go into botany, move to a pot state and get involved in the trade by growing mind blowing strains

even if you don't smoke, it's just a great way to sustain yourself with knowledge of botany
>>
>>25673920
>English

Meh, you can always teach. My dad is a principal and the pay scale in his district is 32k starting with a bachelor's to 75k with a master's and 16 years experience.

Not the greatest in the world but liveable, especially out in the suburbs (and that is only working 3/4 of the year- if you want extra dosh you can always pick up a summer job. Or not, even just 32k can go a long way if you're smart with your money and it just goes up from there).

And of course you can always go into administration. My dad's pay tops out at 120k a year. I mean he's worked for the same school district for the last 35 years, put in a lot of hours and has a masters but still, not bad. Not as good as you could do with an engineering degree but it's not quite as bad as people make it out to be.
>>
>>25673584
Why the fuck would you come here for advice?

Also
>major in math, don't be a pussy
>>
>>25673990
>Is this what an existential crysis feels like?

Nah, you're just an 18 year old burbie kid. You'll get over it.
>>
why even attempt to study, if you dont give a fuck? Youre just gonna drop out
>>
>>25674039
Everyone with an English degree is looking for a good paying comfy teaching job. The jobs have high competition so good luck with that.
>>
>>25674039
I don't want to do that. I come from a family of teachers and i have reasons I don't want to add to that.

What's most important to me is I have enough money to support a family and then some.
>>
>>25673584
>switched from history to economics because I don't want to be unemployed
God I hope I can learn math...
>>
>>25673584
dont study if you dont give a fuck about it, simple
>>
>>25673990
Have you tried exploring your interests? If your as young as I am guessing you still have time to shadow different professionals and see what you might want to do in the future. It's pretty easy to arrange, just email random professionals in your area and chances are they will accept.
>>
>>25674025
Where I live put may not be legalised for another 50 years. I've thought about the idea though

>>25674050
Math and physics, while being subjects I respect and have some platonic interest in are my weakest subjects

>>25673990
Totally relatable,dude

>>25674084
Because what else should I do? Life is fucking scary and I don't want to be stuck forever in a dead-end job. Also, Im pretty sure I'd manage if Im studying something of interest to me.

Guess I'll either have to suck it up and force myself into a money-earning degree or look for open places in retail.

On an unrelated note, what do you think of ecology?
>>
>>25674127
And let me add to that, I'm following in the example of a tutor I had who went into engineering. He is the most solid model for success I have. He's in his lower 20's now making more money than my mom is as a tenured professor.
>>
>>25674190
just stay with your mum and work part time jobs

10/10 life, would recommend to everyone who doesnt give a fuck
>>
>>25674190
I already made this suggestion here >>25674187 but if you're unsure about what you want to do in the future you can shadow someone and get a gist of it. I did it way back when and it helped me figure stuff out. It would also give your mom some relief to know you are takin your future seriously.

Are you thinking about this because you'll be attending college in the fall? If so, you still have time to decide. People change their majors in college all the time, my siblings in college have changed theirs at least twice. If you take classes for something you can get a feel for it and you might find something you didn't expect that you'd like.
>>
>>25674190

How about you try a trade? It sounds like academics overall is not for you. While you may not like physical labour as well (not sure if you do), it pays pretty well, people are always needed, and it's relatively easy to get certified or go into an apprenticeship. Electricians, welders, and a few more are good ideas.
>>
>>25674333
Not OP but this is actually some solid advice. I don't know about shadowing someone since anxious but I can definitely look around forums, email people and generally take interest in my future.

That would involve me being less of a lazy ass but I guess my whole life's future is a good enough reason.
>>
>>25674333
No, not in the fall. The fall of 2017. I have plenty of time but the reason for my concern is, like I said before, that my relatives are starting to get concerned and my friends are starting to figure their shit out while Im still sitting on my ass.

Your advice is pretty good, but I've got to get a sort of idea of what I want to do before contacting people and asking around. But Im gonna get it done. This thread was the first step, we'll see how it goes from here.

>>25674299
Probably bait, but still.
My mom, while caring and concerned about me would absolutely 10/10, no bullshit kick me out if she suspected that was my plan. NEETdom does sound appealing but it's not an option for me.

>>25674347
Gotta look into that also. Im not so much against physical labour. Only downside is that where I live these professions are kinda looked down on, but that is bullshit and I don't care. Im actually pretty skilled with my hands so this could be an option.
>>
>>25674814
i had to smoothtalk my mum into it, but could be that your is mum too much of a cold hearted bitch to make it happen

they dont give a shit about what you do, aslong as they can brag about it infront of their friends
>>
>>25674814

Some trades rely a bit more of a mix on technique and physical skill. If you want, engineering is good, electricians as well. It's stable enough and it will get you going in life.

Whatever you do, though, don't enter the oil field unless you can get in with power engineering; it's unstable as fuck and people were warned the oil bubble would pop. Nobody listened.
>>
>>25673584

Where are you from, OP?

>original comment
>>
>>25674814
Wow, you're still a junior in HS and you say your relatives are worrying what major you will be in college? Either they're not as worried as you think they are or they are just really shitty for putting that kind of pressure on you. Here's what you do:
>apply for at least 3 schools: 1 really good school that you think you have a shot at getting into, 1 fallback/safety school, and your community college
>you will most likely at least get into community college. if you still don't have any idea of what you want to major in, then go to community college and do general education courses. they are cheaper in CC and will most likely transfer to your four-year college if it's in-state.

You really should seek out help from your high school advisor. I know this is /r9k/ but unless you're a real freak or something they will help you with these things better than any of us can. It's their job.
>>
>>25674865
I should have mentioned somewhere above (maybe I have, don't remember) that anything math-related is a strong no. Also physics.

Biology,geography,history is more my field
>>
>>25675011

oh when I say power engineering, I mean the field kind, not the development kind. Power engineering in the trades does involve some math and physics on the lower levels, but not so much that you can't bear it.

It only gets rough as you move to the higher classes.
>>
>>25673584
You don't have to do college that is just the option most taken. I went to a trade school and now I'm an airplane mechanic. I have 0 debt and actually have a job unlike my college friends. My other friend went to community college for one semester to learn welding and now he makes more money than me. There isn't anything wrong with college just know that there are other options.
>>
>>25675104

Yeah this. I know you said you hated math, but accounting doesn't require much more than a few years in school. Even a diploma nets you a pretty stable job overall and good wages. If you really want to advance to a firm, then a diploma will at least take you half way there so you can get a job, save, and move on up.

From the sounds of it, your parents want you to get distinction in a field, but what most people don't realize is that the economic benefit of going to college only starts to apply much later in life. You will make more money overall, but early on when you are struggling to pay bills, it doesn't help. Also, colleges and universities are being flooded right now, so finding a job in your related field is going to be tough. Careers and trades, the two things that people in uni seem to love turning their noses down on, are coincidentally the ones that are needed the most.

Accounting
Trades
Medical (pharmaceuticals and stuff like that, not necessarily doctors)
Nursing
Surveying and Field techs
Business Management

All of these are needed and, for some reason, nobody goes into these fields. Instead, you see an influx of people going into things like English and Humanities, things that aren't needed at all for the most part.

On a side note, accounting is a solid robot job. You go in, get your own little office, do some paper work (yes some math, sorry), then go home. Good amount of free time, offices often have solid holiday and work hours, and it isn't too demanding, especially now since accounting software does a lot of the job for you.
>>
>>25674996
Im not from the states so the system is a bit different. I've basically got a year and a couple of months before I have to make the final choice.

For that final choice, however, there are requirements. For example if I were to choose medicine, at the end of the year I'd have to take a test in biology/chemistry. If I were to choose engineering, then a math test, etc. And to have the best possible score on these tests, you've got to revise most of HS's material in that given subject. So basically - the earlier you choose - the better.

Also, I don't even know if there even is a high school advisor in my school (Not that it's a bad school, I just have no idea). However, there are organisations and people who help kids with applying for universities here and abroad and also with guidance and councelling for people like me, in need of direction with what to study. I guess I'll have to use their services some time in the near future if I don't figure it out for myself.

>>25675104
I should look into that as well. People will always need electricians, mechanics and the like. I guess it's alot more stable and secure than,say psychology or law

>>25675313
Im gonna research these options for sure. Seems that a lot of the advice I get here is similar to yours and you're right that my parents want me to be succesful in some sort of prestigious job, but they are intelligent and reasonable enough to support me in whatever I choose for myself so that is not really that big of an issue.

It's strange that before this thread I hadn't really thought about these options, but I find appeal in them. Also, yeah, before anyhting else, I am a robot so I need something not related to working with many people.

Pharmaceuticals is actually quite interesting to me so I've got to look into it.
Accounting also sounds kinda neat.

Fuck me, suddenly the problem is that I have too many things to choose from but that's a good thing I suppose. Gotta do some research on everything.
>>
Just kill yourself my man, it's the easiest choice and the makes the most sense.
>>
File: Capture.png (40KB, 755x745px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
40KB, 755x745px
>>25675627

Here's an example of what I am talking about, from a job bank from where I live. Notice something here? Pretty much none of these jobs require a degree and pay quite well (Except the walmart shit, but they always need people, so they are going to pop up a lot). You can always go to job banks like this and, unless you specifically look for certain fields, you won't find any humanities or Liberal arts stuff. Now, you won't be making doctor salary, but you will still be pretty comfortable.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.