[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I make movies, /r9k/? I have so many stories I want to

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: 1450670189250.jpg (487KB, 800x1066px) Image search: [Google]
1450670189250.jpg
487KB, 800x1066px
How do I make movies, /r9k/?

I have so many stories I want to tell. Outlines written out, notes, everything. I have tried writing them like novels, but it's just not the same. I don't have a passion for prose, for poetry, I have a passion for storytelling and film.

I don't know how to get my movies made. I don't know where to find actors when I have no friends, I don't know how to afford a camera, all the audio equipment, the only thing I'm familiar with is video editing.

What do? Any ideas?
>>
File: image.jpg (71KB, 600x300px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
71KB, 600x300px
Where do you live brohammer
>>
Ever consider comics?

Comics, like film, are a visual medium. Many of the rules of cinema are applicable to comics. Try reading Watchmen by Alan Moore very carefully.

The only thing is the absence of sound. However, comics have a lot of unique advantages like that the audience can flip around (altering time), panel structure, etc.

They're a lot cheaper and easier to create than a film.
>>
Start small.
By small I mean in size.
Get a GoPro.
The lens has a bit of a fish-eye so things can look a little weird, but it's HD, cheap, can handle anything, and has all sorts of accessories to go with it.

Start to develop short films with things like movie maker. Save up and buy an editing program.

Watch older movies. Imitate their cinematography, their angles, their lighting, everything. Learn from the greats.
>>
>>25665887
Midwestern US
>>25665923
Never really considered it because I'm god awful at drawing. Also, sound is very important to me. Music/audio can contribute so much to the feeling of the story that I wouldn't want to go without it.
>>
>>25665944
Not a bad idea at all, thank you. I suppose it would be best to jump right in and just get familiar with the technical aspects.
>>
Have you considered animation?

I've dabbled in both 2D and 3D (read: I've made shitty flash loops and Garry's Mod videos), and it's a viable medium.

Pros: complete control of your universe, all you need is a computer and loads of free time
Cons: it's not real life, you still need voice actors, and it takes a long, long, long time before you acquire enough skill to make anything decent
>>
>>25666031
It's how all the young hopeful filmmakers started. With all the digital technology we have anyone can try to make something.
>>
>>25666064
Haven't considered that. I've made a few Garry's Mod videos but always just comedic. Good idea though, thank you for the suggestion, I'll look into it a bit.
>>
>>25666090
Any ideas for audio?
Would it be better to go with several individual mics or one or two really high quality that could pick up a few actors?
>>
You need one good actor. Just find one good person.

Find someone who can make the expression Leonardo d or mark Hamil can make. Don't believe, look at a picture of these two people
>>
>>25666031
Fucking do it OP! This was made in gopro. https://youtu.be/H0Ib9SwC7EI. Whether you like the video or not is up to you, but I found it cool how they did this.

You could notice the fish-eye effect that the other anon mentioned, but you could maybe consider doing a short movie in first person. Maybe a horror one or whatever.
>>
>>25666123
Also, silent films with musical integration are the way of the future. You'll thank me in 4 to 8 years
>>
learn how to format a screenplay and then submit it to directors, if it's good, they'll make it. alternately, buy a camera, make a movie. the first has almost no chance of working, but the second has even less. wish i was joking.
>>
>>25666113
All you need is one decent mic at first. Don't dive too deep into your gear into you know what you want to do. So many things serve specific purposes.

And one more tip, don't stop. Always go out and experiment. Shoot things like birds or squirrels. Go to a park and shoot some video of the ponds and trees. Anything to give you practice and get used to working with different lighting and settings. Also any editing practice is good editing practice.
>>
>>25666123
>>25666155
Good advice, thanks m8. I'll keep it in mind, especially since I've got a good ear for music in movies.
>>25666141
That's pretty impressive, it would be great to do a horror movie with one of those.
>>
>>25666170
Why does the second have even less?
Thank you for the advice though. I feel writing is my strongest suit so screenplays would be my best bet. For now, at least.
>>25666179
True. That's a good idea, as much practice as you can get is good.
>>
>>25666238
It depends on what you want to be.

Do you want to create films? Do you want to make them? Direct them?

Or do you want to just write them?

They are two very different careers, which are difficult to succeed in, but are very tangible.

Find out and go from there.
>>
>>25666287
Honestly not sure at this point. I will have to mull it over.

Thank you m8. I am off for the night. Sleep tight, robots.
>>
File: image.jpg (54KB, 610x652px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
54KB, 610x652px
Create a story with one central character. Who although could be seen as a bad person, is extremely likable. Becuase people see parts of themselves in that character, or parts they wished they had.

And I don't mean, "oh he's just a bad boy with a heart of gold xD" because all movies play off characters with at least minor flaws. I mean create a character that stretches close to bizarre. And yet you could still argue their sanity. Think of characters like:
>the joker or batman
>Alex from a clockwork orange
>American psychopath
>fight club
these movies reached such high levels of cult following because people felt odly connected to those characters (whether they actually are or not).

>create a character that can do anything. And yet no matter what bad he does, he can do no wrong. Create a character people adore because they see themselves in that character. People love when they are pushed to do/think things they never thought they could do. And most of all. People love themselves.
>>
>>25665857
man you must be real dumb, all that has literally never been easier, I bet your stories are stupid too.
>>25665944
don't get a gopro either unless you are strapping it to your head
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.