[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Computer Science Degrees are the new Business Degrees.

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (226KB, 700x460px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
226KB, 700x460px
Computer science degrees are the new business degrees.

They are the degrees for people who have NO CLUE about what they want to do with their lives, but they think they can make a lot of money with it. People just assume that they can all get hired with some nerdy small programming start up and get rich.

Discuss.
>>
And ironically enough Business Degrees are the new CS degrees. People for the past 10 years were told not to touch business at all because it was over saturated. Everyone ended up going into Engineering and CS and now at least in my country there is a shortage of business graduates.
>>
>>25648034
It's true in my case but I quit halfway and I joined the army. Best decision ever desu sentais.
>>
Too bad all the people who think they can turn on their Facebook machine means they can do computer science. Only they get blown the fuck by the huge math requirements. The drop out rate for CS is huge
>>
>>25648034
In mean, you'd have a better argument if half the people who started computer science degrees didn't switch to things such as business once they realized they can't handle programming. It's still an autistic major that requires a certain way of thinking that lots of normalfags can't get.
>>
>tfw accounting major

Feels mediocre man. And least I'll be employed I guess.
>>
I live in Ireland and I'm doing CS atm. It's great because everyone wants to start up here because of low corporate tax rates and the skills shortage is expected to last years.
>>
>>25648129
>tfw accounting as well

I can work from home most of the time, that's good enough for me.
>>
I think the dropout rate needs to be included into this conversation. Without taking that into account, it's moot
>>
File: 1449969595054.gif (1MB, 499x281px) Image search: [Google]
1449969595054.gif
1MB, 499x281px
Originally when I got into college I was told to do it just because I say on a computer all day. At first the beginning was easy then I was overwhelmed with math eventually. However the more I actually sat down and took the time to read about what computer science actually was I wanted to learn it. Hell once I realized how comfy the math and programming can be I didn't care about money anymore. I just want to have a comfy job and stop being a wageslave.
>>
>>25648314
How is math comfy?
>>
>People just assume that they can all get hired with some nerdy small programming start up and get rich.

I know a guy with a BS in CompSci that started around 60k with a startup. Live in the right place and you can do this.
>>
File: 1446705391911.gif (636KB, 500x545px) Image search: [Google]
1446705391911.gif
636KB, 500x545px
>>25648359

I just enjoy problem solving.
>>
>>25648359
Math helps develop critical thinking skills.
Plus proofs can be fun once you git gud.
>>
>>25648359
You ever had that feeling of accomplishing something? Oh wait you haven't.
>>
>>25648359
You can zone out in the east parts of a problem and feel very satisfied when you complete a problem or get a program to work.
>>
>tfw I graduated with my CS degree in 2012 before the over-saturation began
>tfw making $111K
>tfw I still live with my parents so no expenses
>tfw no friends
>tfw no gf
>tfw sick right now ;_;
>>
>>25648507
do your parents not find it weird that you're more than capable of taking care of yourself but still decide to live with them?
>>
>>25648591
nope, they seem to encourage me living with them and have never once hinted that i should move out
>>
>>25648668
are you by any chance hispanic
>>
Became a CS Major because 1. person I love would have been one if not an hero 2. enjoy computers but not enough skillz and need formal training 3. disgruntled english major, wanted the antithesis and to get out of my comfort zone 4. CS is where all the cool mentally disturbed people are
>>
There's a shortage of GOOD software developers. Most of these guys who go through CS / SE becasue they have "no idea what they wanna do" and "wanna make money" end up learning barely anything and have a hard time because they write shit code.
>>
In cs class
Entire campus in cs class
Literally all brown and Asian people
Like thousands

The odds are looking dim, all my friends went to trades and make money

I'm competing with poo in loos for jobs

Cs was good around 2000-2008 during the iPhone and app boom, now cs is the "I'm a retard late bloomer" badge
>>
>>25648034
Problem with cs is the amount of bullshit modules on hardware and networks and shit and not enough programming. I work as a mechanical engineer and most employers want someone to make excel VBA macros to increase productivity.
>>
>>25648900
my software engineering department, there is a single white woman, ~2-3 blacks, an arab guy, and the rest are white dudes.
>>
>>25648753
nope i'm thankfully not
>>
File: happypepe.png (133KB, 354x363px) Image search: [Google]
happypepe.png
133KB, 354x363px
>>25648900
>study math
>1/3 of class are female
>half of them are qt
>not even a single nigger in class
>>
>>25649055
I never understood that. Not too many women in physics, engineering, chemistry, or computer science, yet mathematics and biology both have higher numbers of women. Actually, biology might have more women than men in my school
>>
>brother is of mediocre intelligence
>takes a java class in high school
>decides he wants a CS degree
>advise him not to do that, because it's a lot of hard work, he's a party/raver, and I saw my roommates work on that shit for hours at a time
>disregards me, sad NEET drowning in debt that I am
>takes out a bunch of loans
>barely finishes his freshman year with a shitty GPA, doesn't understand the entry level material
>drops out first quarter of sophomore year
>comes back for third quarter
>drops out AGAIN
>paying full price for tuition each time, for no credits
>continues to do drugs and party all the time
>recently got a job at UPS

You're absolutely right OP.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.