[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Return of Nick, for You to Get Fit

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 208
Thread images: 55

File: TTVGBTGRTRGF.png (3KB, 750x383px) Image search: [Google]
TTVGBTGRTRGF.png
3KB, 750x383px
I would have come back the past two days, but my significant other got us banned by accident.

So here I am!

As usual, I take your questions, comments, remarks, and would love to hear about your progress since last time we met.

Today, I will post the entire guide I wrote for you. I added some bonus points at the end of it, for what it's worth.

Here we go!
>>
File: lose-gain-maintain-weight.png (71KB, 698x749px) Image search: [Google]
lose-gain-maintain-weight.png
71KB, 698x749px
Forgot my trip. Here we go:
>>
File: 1449076115734.png (372KB, 610x457px) Image search: [Google]
1449076115734.png
372KB, 610x457px
Nick's Fitness Guide for /r9k/

What do you want for your body?

1. lose weight
2. gain weight
3. get stronger
4. get more stamina
1. Losing Weight

The most essential part of losing weight is this one word: "calorie". A calorie is not a thing in itself, it is a measure of energy: the amount of energy required to warm up by 1 degree Celsius a certain mass of water. There are only two parameters you really need to consider to lose weight (or gain weight, actually): the energy you eat and the energy your body burns.

On average, the human body burns 2000kcal per day. If you eat 2500kcal one day, the extra 500kcal will not go to waste; your body will store this extra energy as fat. This is why we get fat: we store excess energy for later use. This happens because our bodies have evolved to fight starvation, a common problem in our ancestors' lives.

It makes no difference where the calories come from: a calorie is a calorie, be it from fruit, fish, meat, candy, it's all the same. Some will argue that a calorie of this isn't the same as a calorie of that, but it is as ridiculous as saying 10 meters of wood isn't as long as 10 meters of iron. 10 meters is always 10 meters, no matter what the object is made of; it is the same for calories: 1000kcal of anything is the same amount of energy as 1000kcal of anything else: it's 1000kcal.

That is not to say that every food will satisfy your hunger, though. 2000kcal of beans are more likely to make you hate food than 2000kcal of chocolate.
>>
File: 1449076971592-1.png (287KB, 455x349px) Image search: [Google]
1449076971592-1.png
287KB, 455x349px
So, to lose weight, you simply need to put less energy in you than your body consumes. Concretely, google some calorie calculator and find out what your basic metabolic rate is - this is the energy your body burns by just existing, breathing, heartbeat, etc. - and take 400kcal from that. This new number is now your cap. Depending on how much you exercise and the sort of job you have, this number can vary; from personal experience, my actual cap was 800kcal lower than calculated, so keep that in mind.

What you should do is simply this: weigh yourself every morning after you've evacuated (peepee, poopoo) and write it down. Then, throughout the day, write down the calories you eat, and at the end of each day, you write the total. Do this every day. This will allow you to see what your real maintenance is and control your calories accordingly.

You can aim for 1 pound or 500 g a week. Exercising is not required to lose weight. While not the most beneficial way to go about it, losing weight without exercising is still far superior to not losing weight and not exercising. If weight loss is all you want, it can be accomplished by simply regulating your caloric intake.
>>
File: 1451400504584.jpg (133KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
1451400504584.jpg
133KB, 720x960px
2. Gaining Weight

To gain weight, you simply eat more calories than your body burns. Calculate your daily caloric need, basic metabolic rate, and eat more than that. Unlike losing weight, you can eat significantly more than your daily need without health hazards, and if overeating is difficult for you, you won't be concerned with potentially eating too much.

If solid food is a problem for you, you can drink whole milk throughout the day. You can also eat nuts, such as pistachios, since those contain lots of calories for their small sizes. Doing both should be an easy to add mass to your body.

Many skinny people believe that their bodies function differently and that they are somehow special. The truth is that most simply don't know how many calories they really eat during the day and overestimate what they actually eat. There's nothing magic about it: if you undereat, you lose weight, if you overeat, you gain weight, by definition.
>>
File: 1450711569575.png (281KB, 655x411px) Image search: [Google]
1450711569575.png
281KB, 655x411px
3. Getting Stronger

The simple truth about getting stronger is this: strength comes from muscles, to have more strength, you need more muscles. Strength is also esthetic, there's no difference between "looking fit" and actually being strong. Body-builders on steroids don't look fit to me, and at their level, they have sacrificed health and practical strength for a certain look, but even body-builders had to start by building strength. Building up strength is best done using free weights, dumbbells and barbell.

The reason why free weights work better than machines is because machines will do some, or a lot, of the work for you, isolating both muscles and movement. This doesn't train you as much as simply lifting a free weight, where you have to do all the work yourself. Outside the gym, you will rarely come across anything resembling a machine exercise: if you have to carry heavy shopping bags, they won't come neatly sandwhiched in a contraption that makes it easier to lift. Machines will isolate muscle groups, forcing you to use 5 machines to train the same muscles that a single free weight exercise could train. Most machines are nonsense designed solely to give you a reason to go to the gym rather than buy your own simple equipment and work out at home.
>>
File: cardio.gif (137KB, 1288x2588px) Image search: [Google]
cardio.gif
137KB, 1288x2588px
4. Getting More Stamina

Cardio is different from strength and is trained differently too. Cardio can help burning calories but never forget that your body, on its own, in 24 hours, will always burn more calories than you would even if you ran for several hours. (Bar very experienced runners or swimmers who will literally burn 5 times the amount of calories their bodies would need for a day.) It is easier not to eat 500kcal than it is to burn them while running.

If you're going for strength, know that doing cardio at the same time may work against you, as cardio consumes energy that would otherwise be used to build muscle. If you want to do both strength and cardio, do cardio on your rest days.
>>
File: 1452092877673.jpg (395KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
1452092877673.jpg
395KB, 1536x2048px
How to Start Strength

There are a few things to consider first:

1. you aren't afraid of going to a gym / there's a gym near you

That's the first thing. If you can and want, and if it's not too expensive where you live, then life will be simpler for you in some ways, more difficult in others. Working out at home saves you time and you might be more likely to work out if you know you can get to it instantly. For introverted people who are just starting, going to the gym might be too much trouble.

Suppose you can't do 1, then what?

2. are you willing to spend quite some money on a home gym
3. are you willing to spend a little money on a home gym
4. are you unable or unwilling to spend any money on a home gym
>>
File: 1449645792337.jpg (114KB, 612x459px) Image search: [Google]
1449645792337.jpg
114KB, 612x459px

In that case, I recommend getting these items:

- a bench
- a barbell (olympic)
- weights
- a power rack/cage, with pullups and dips

If you get this, you will have everything you need for the perfect home gym. This would cost you around a thousand US dollars/Euros, roughly.

If you can only spend a little, then your next best bet is getting dumbbells. We're talking around ten times less money spent, and all you'll need to buy are the dumbbells themselves and weights to put on them. Don't buy dumbbells whose weight cannot be changed.
>>
File: 1450002820394.jpg (922KB, 1562x4158px) Image search: [Google]
1450002820394.jpg
922KB, 1562x4158px

If you have zero money to spend on equipment, you can always do body weights: exercises where you use the weight of your own body to lift. Pushups are an example of this. What's wrong with bodyweight exercises? Well, mainly that it is a much slower way to increase your strength. It isn't as efficient as using free weights, and it will be more complicated to do certain movements, because they require you to be in certain positions, whereas free weights don't require you to lift yourself. Doing bodyweights is better than doing nothing at all, though, and I would recommend adding some bodyweight exercises to your general routine every now and then, especially pushups and situps, although that isn't necessary if you work these muscles some other way.
>>
File: 1450878901692.png (132KB, 1024x512px) Image search: [Google]
1450878901692.png
132KB, 1024x512px
How to Lift

What, exactly, does one do when lifting? Let's assume you've chosen dumbbells. What now? You should get a program (like mine) and follow it. The dumbbell program I give includes exercises that don't require dumbbells (like the squat and pushups) and aims at giving full body strength.

Now, how heavy should you lift? Before I answer that, we must go over the notions of "reps" and "sets". A rep is a repetition of a movement, a set is a series of reps. Consider the following:

3x5 squats

That means you are going to squat 5 times in a row and then stop. That was one set (of 5 reps). A pause is necessary for your muscles to compose themselves again so you can redo the same series without having lost strength; if you tried to do another set immediately, you'd not be able to. If you were able to, you'd be lifting far too light, as I'll explain in a moment.

In any program, you do all the sets for a given exercise. Don't do "circuits" where you change the exercise after one set. I've personally done this for months and all it does is get you exhausted, waste your time, and while it gives some results, it's not as efficient as doing your sets fully for one exercise before moving on to the next; it's also less satisfying as you never feel like you've finished anything. Doing a circuit program with too many exercises had me working out for nearly two hours, sweating a lot, feeling like I was doing what was right, and ending up in not gaining much strength.
>>
File: 1427743784703-2.jpg (169KB, 900x593px) Image search: [Google]
1427743784703-2.jpg
169KB, 900x593px
How heavy should you lift? This depends on the reps you do, so let's, first, talk about rep ranges.

The usual model goes like this:

1 to 3 reps: pure strength
4 to 8 reps: strength and hypertrophy
9 to 20 reps: resistance

What does that all mean? 1 to 3 reps being "pure strength" means that you'll get stronger without getting bigger. I've always wondered how that was possible if strength required more muscles. The answer is, so far as I can tell, that your existing muscles can learn to be more efficient as they are, central nervous system and all, and thus you get to lift heavier without having more muscles. This low rep range is not used often for all I know, and if you did, you'd eventually stall because this range doesn't grow muscles, or less.

4 to 8 is generally the recommended range, 5 being the most classic. This is the most efficient range to grow strength.

9 to 20: past 12, you're really doing cardio more than anything. Think of it this way: running is basically 1 set of 5000 steps: you don't get stronger legs with that, but you will get better at running. Marathon runners don't have enormous, powerful legs. That said, if you're a beginner, you may want to go up to 20 eventually, just to ensure that you have both strength and resistance. Certain exercises require 20 reps, typically bodyweight stuff, which I would advise to start at 5 and then gradually go up. Once you can do 20 easily, do a more difficult version of the same exercise, as in the chart I provide for bodyweight.
>>
So, how heavy should you lift? Basically, only a little more than the reps you're doing. In other words, if you go for 5 reps, you should be able to do 7 reps with that weight (roughly). It is advised to always have "one left in the bag" when you finish. Doing reps until you literally cannot lift any more is known as "going to failure" and there are various opinions about it. I advise not to go to failure, as that is very taxing on your muscles and will require more rest time. People like to do that because they equate pain with results and not being pansies, but in reality, I'm not convinced it's better than simply not going to failure and being able to do more sets and more repetitions. Muscles require stimulation to grow, they don't need to be tortured.

That's how you know how heavy to lift. The weight will vary depending on the exercise; with DB, you can do rows more easily than you can do shoulder presses, for instance. A French press will have you use both arms for one DB, so you'll typically be able to lift more than otherwise.

Do not try to lift too heavy, especially in the beginning. Even if your DB is only 3 kilos, if you can't do 7 reps of that, then that's that. Form is essential to your training, and form is basically how you perform your reps. It must be as perfect as possible. As soon as you see that you're failing form (that you start shaking or moving as if suddenly struck by mental retardation), you stop. You stop your set, that is, and rest 2 minutes or so, and try again. If you keep being unable to do the reps you must do, then you're lifting too heavy.

How to progress? You add weight. Lifting more is what makes you progress. As your muscles grow, you'll be able to lift more and more. Before adding weight, what you can do is increase the reps; instead of doing 5, go for 6, 7, or even 8. If you can comfortably do 8 reps, it's time to increase the weight (in a 5x5 program, that is).

That's the bulk of it.
>>
File: 1449704458236-1.jpg (79KB, 580x362px) Image search: [Google]
1449704458236-1.jpg
79KB, 580x362px
The most popular programs for strength are Starting Strength (SS) and Strong Lifts (SL), which you will inevitably hear about if you go to /fit/. Neither is a meme, both work and both are based on Reg Park's routine from over half a century ago and is basically how everyone who wants serious functional strength begins. It's how body-builders get their basic body, from which they work afterwards, but even people like Daisy Ridley (Rey from Star Wars) use barbell to train. Strength is strength, in Arnie or your grandmother.

Everyone would benefit from being strong: the muscles protect your bones more efficiently whenever you do anything, you'll have more energy, you won't be as tired by mundane movements, you will be harder to kill (to paraphrase Rippetoe, the man behind SS), and you'll even be able to eat more as muscles consume more energy than less muscles, or fat. For ladies, don't imagine that lifting a barbell is going to make you beefy; Daisy Ridley can deadlift 80 kilos and she's anything but beefy.
>>
File: a cute deadlifting.webm (1MB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
a cute deadlifting.webm
1MB, 720x720px
To get strong, you'll need to eat "big", as they say. If you lift but don't overeat, you'll focus your strength and get more of it to some degree, but if you want to continue growing in strength, you will have to gain muscle mass. If you already have excess fat, you don't need to overeat, you can even "cut", that is, eat less than your daily need, and you should be able to gain muscles and lose fat at the same time, provided you consume enough protein. Protein is key to muscle growth and is the only macro I care about. Macro is when you care for more than just the calories, the macros are usually: protein, carb, and fat. If you eat enough protein, you can stop caring about the rest as long as you count your calories. You do not need to get fat to get strong; the excess fat that many keep is simply to ensure that your body has all it needs to grow muscles at the fastest pace possible. That's all. Some people think you need to literally get extremely fat to get extremely strong, that is wrong. If all that fat was needed, it wouldn't be stored doing nothing, now would it? A bulk should only add a little extra fat on you and a cut should not last too long either, and it shouldn't because your bulk wasn't pointlessly over the top.
>>
File: edit.png (334KB, 900x644px) Image search: [Google]
edit.png
334KB, 900x644px
How to Get Motivated

Whenever I'm asked this, my first intuition is that willpower isn't what you lack, but organisation. The name of the game when it comes to motivation is to leave as little as possible to your willpower. How to do this? You plan, you organise, you schedule. If you have an exact program to follow, exercises, reps, sets, etc, you have no willpower to use as to what to do: you already know. If you have an appointed time to work out, you won't have to choose when to work out, it's already established. Planning thus will make it so that in the end, you only have to "just do it" because everything else is ready for you.

Another thing is this: focus on your vision. Your vision of yourself in the future, where you have achieved your goal, whichever it is. Focus on this and on the absolutely certain knowledge that if you keep taking step after step, you will get there.

People lose motivation if they are overdemanding with themselves, which many diets count on to make you fail, so you try another, or come back again, and fail again. There is no need to be too strict on yourself; this isn't a discipline test. Do I sometimes decide to eat a whole jar of strawberry jam with nothing but a spoon? Yes, that happens. Does that make me give up everything in anger? No. I laugh it off and don't get surprised at the increase in weight I get soon enough. Since I count my calories daily and weigh myself every morning, I know when the jam hits the fan. In the long run, it makes little difference, not enough to give up over.
>>
File: tumblr_nkaaggY5A61sm4hpao1_500.png (254KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nkaaggY5A61sm4hpao1_500.png
254KB, 500x500px
The same goes with your work out. If you don't feel like it one day, that doesn't mean you're a piece of shit who should die instantly. No. Skipping one day won't affect much in the long run either, and can be beneficial too. Rest is as important as working out, since that's when your muscles repair themselves and grow back stronger. Be on your own side, don't berate yourself for failing anything, be it a rep, a set, a calorie cap, or anything. It's the long run that matters, not the small events.
>>
[And now, for the bonuses, this previously undisclosed material, enjoy.]

So You Want Abs?

You shouldn't attempt to work out just one particular area of your body, especially not for esthetic reasons alone. Your body functions as a whole and to strengthen any one part of it more than the rest would only lead to muscular imbalances. You'd also end up looking goofy naked, thus cancelling the very thing you were looking for originally. Keep this in mind: what works best, what is most functional, also happens to look best. In other words, don't seek to have nice abs alone, seek to have a nice body altogether, and seek to achieve this by getting stronger and losing fat.

If you're already somewhat in shape but struggle to get visible abs, what you need isn't necessarily more work out for these abs, but simply burn the layer of fat on them. And no, you cannot target the fat you want to lose: your body will tap into your fat in a general manner and you will only lose fat on your abs as you lose fat everywhere else. If you're the sort that stores fat in the belly more than everywhere else, then this will be the last place to burn the fat completely. Keep on that caloric deficit and you will get there eventually.

Another word for those of you who never worked out before and are considering doing so just to look good. There is so much more to it than you know, and you should consider this before all else. If you go to it only thinking of achieving some quick esthetic result so you can lift your shirt at a party and impress the ladies, you will not only fail spectacularly, but you will also lose motivation very fast. If you somehow succeeded, you'd become a living joke as imbalanced physiques simply don't look good.
>>
>>25614371

They look funny. Do you want to look funny? No, of course not, if you're interested in improving your looks. So I repeat: anything you may want to achieve in terms of esthetics will result from actually getting healthier, stronger, etc. Immediately drop any dreams of doing 40 situps a day for 2 months and obtaining the desired abs. That's not how it works.
>>
File: 1387798116747.jpg (145KB, 1366x1065px) Image search: [Google]
1387798116747.jpg
145KB, 1366x1065px
Suppose you're beyond the esthetic concern and intend to work out fully - meaning your whole body - but still would like to ensure abs at some point. Consider this: to grow, muscles need to understand that more is requested of them than they usually offer. You achieve this by lifting heavier and heavier. Now, you can't exactly lift with your abs. While you may reasonably load up before you do your situps, I'm not sure that this is the best way to get there. A barbell program with compound movements that require most of your muscles to act (such as the deadlift and squat) will also work your abs, and more efficiently, since you are made to lift heavy weights (relatively to your own strength) and that this is more than what you could do with situps. So yeah, if you are to get abs, that should be part of a larger goal: to get strong and fit overall.
>>
File: 1411340685000.jpg (400KB, 1126x1001px) Image search: [Google]
1411340685000.jpg
400KB, 1126x1001px
The Right Attitude

Another thing that comes often when I converse with you is your attitude. For many, you are just not sure why someone should make an effort at all. Reasons to say this vary: "I have an ugly face anyway," "It can't change my personality," etc. Most of the time, I disagree on these statements. Getting fit actually does improve how your face looks, because once you get rid of the extra fat on your face, you do look significantly more appealing than you would with extra chub. As to personality, this too may change along the way. As you increase in experience and achieve more and more, you become able to look at yourself in a whole new way. Anyone can imagine what it'd be like to achieve something and ponder over it, but to actually do it is a wholly different matter, one you cannot experience until you experience it. Don't underestimate this. This is how you gain confidence: you get stuff done and take full responsibility for it. Your whole work out and eating program is your responsibility alone because nobody can do it for you. I might advise you about it but in the end, it's up to you. That means that when you finally get to a level where you start experience pride, it will be yours alone. You won't have to thank me, or anyone else, for it. Indicating the right path doesn't even count as a single step on that path.
>>
Attitude matters a lot because it generally defines whether you'll make it or not. If you're a negative Nancy and use any failure, large and small, to convince yourself that it's not worth it, that you can't do it, then yes, you will fail. In this matter, the fight is decided before it even begins when you think negatively. Learn to accept failure as part of the journey and keep moving. Think of yourself as a slow invicible tank: if you keep moving, no matter how much shelling you take, you will eventually get to your objective. That is all that matters. Nobody will even think about any possible failures when they see the result in your body. Same for you.
>>
File: 1451749183754.jpg (98KB, 609x960px) Image search: [Google]
1451749183754.jpg
98KB, 609x960px
Focus on this: it is entirely within your reach. Many may dislike this idea because it makes them responsible for what happens to them. Others will enjoy the idea that they're in control. Thing is, you are indeed in control, so it isn't just a nice idea, it's also the truth. When you are in control, you can do something about the situation. People who blame genetics for their state generally don't have a passionate interest in understanding the science of anything and are plenty content to go on as they are, and even get worse, as long as they can blame something other than themselves. Don't be that person, for that person will be rewarded according to their shitty attitude. Genetics exist but they don't matter that much. Some people will grow muscles more easily than others, but that is the case for all men over women, and it doesn't matter much at all. If your goal is to become fit, knowing that men are stronger than women and have bodies more adjusted to muscle growth will not hinder you as a woman, for instance. You don't care about that fact because you aren't trying to become stronger than a strong man. If you're a man, you shouldn't care either. What other people do shouldn't concern you. Short of being interested in competition, none of what other people do should be your concern. Do not compare yourself to others if your aim is to see "who's better". There's no point in that. Look up to people who do well as a way to inspire yourself and remind yourself that you, too, can get there.

You cannot logically argue that trying something and having only a mild success is worse than trying nothing and getting no results. Humility will help you a whole lot on your way to success.
>>
If I get /fit/ will I also get significant other?
>>
I'm 6.1 / 1.85 and weigh about 67kg / 148lbs. I'm an ectomorph so I hardly gain any weight despite eating alot. The food I eat is not really healthy though.
My body is fairly average I believe, but I'm motivated enought to slowly take it to another level.
I will not go to the gym/buy dumbbells and other stuff.
I've been doing 3x10 pushups, 3x10 situps, 3x10 dips and 3x10 squats every second day for about 4 months now, and I'm seeing progress.
I now plan on adding 1 to each set each week until the end of 2016.
Do you have any tips for me? I'm fairly content with my life as it is right now, I would just like to have a nicer body for summer.
Also what effects do recreational drugs have on my gains?
>I smoke alot of weed and take ritalin for fun every other day. I Also take ectasy and LSD about once every month.
>>
>>25614715

It will increase your chances 200%, yes. Don't believe people who say shit like "if you have an ugly face, it's over" or those who say personality is key.

If you're hot and healthy, your chances will surge no matter your face or personality.
>>
>>25614874
>I'm an ectomorph so I hardly gain any weight despite eating alot.

Absolute facts: if you don't gain weight, you are not overeating.

Eating "a lot" doesn't mean shit. Do you count your calories? If not, you have no way to know how much you are REALLY eating. Do so and realise you actually don't eat much at all.

Do me a favour and calculate your daily need:

http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html
>>
File: 1452119379986.jpg (20KB, 400x339px) Image search: [Google]
1452119379986.jpg
20KB, 400x339px
>>25614874
>I will not go to the gym/buy dumbbells and other stuff.

You're choosing the hard way, then.

>I've been doing 3x10 pushups, 3x10 situps, 3x10 dips and 3x10 squats every second day for about 4 months now, and I'm seeing progress.

If burning fat is all you want, sure, but if getting stronger and visibly more muscly, this won't be enough. You'll end up plateauing and getting stuck for good.

>I now plan on adding 1 to each set each week until the end of 2016.

All your efforts will take so much longer than if you just bought some dumbbells. I'm in pain for you because what you're doing is harder and pays much less. What you're doing is getting closer and closer to cardio. Increasing reps does not increase strength, you'll just get more resistance. The more reps, the more like cardio it becomes. To gain strength, you need to lift heavier, not more.

Buy pic related and do this:

Military Presses
https://youtu.be/HMvzUDwaBeA

Shoulder Presses DB
https://youtu.be/B-aVuyhvLHU

French Presses
https://youtu.be/RQMQR9r99lg

Rows
https://youtu.be/-koP10y1qZI

Squats
https://youtu.be/UXJrBgI2RxA

Pushups (wall, table)
https://youtu.be/a6YHbXD2XlU

------------------------------------------

Program:

5x5 military presses (5 sets of 5 repetitions)
5x5 shoulder presses
5x5 French presses
5x5 rows
5x5 squats
5x5 pushups

Do this every other day if you can. Taking more rest days is not a problem. Just avoid working out two days in a row.
>>
Nick, what are you doing here. 90% of this post is you talking to yourself. You are making /fit/ people look like autistic fucks (which is true). GO to bed, Nick.
>>
This is the most intricate bait thread I've ever seen.
>>
File: 1414738070378.jpg (2MB, 832x2475px) Image search: [Google]
1414738070378.jpg
2MB, 832x2475px
>>25614874
>Also what effects do recreational drugs have on my gains?

Depends what. If you don't abuse them, I don't think it should be very signifcant, but don't quote me on this.
>>
>>25614911
I figured you would say something about that.
>You need 2,408 Calories/day to maintain your weight.
That sound like alot. Will I be fine if i keep eating like I have been? I mean I've been seeing slight progress and eating more would be a real hassle as I have to eat at a pretty shitty mensa every day.
>>
>1,86 (6' 1")
>+115 kg
>start dieting and working out
Drinking on weekends, yes or no?
>>
>>25615035
"a real hassle"

>cannot bring a sandwich, pocket eggs or soe nuts wherever it is the important sir needs to go to

(yes, 2400 is hungry skeleton TDEE)
>>
>>25614874
>my gains?

Really, drugs aren't the thing you should worry about if you want gains. Your routine is amongst the shittest for gains. Slow, painstaking, inefficient.

Consider this: if you walk, you can do thousands of reps. Is that going to make your legs get some gains? Not really. Increasing reps tends to that. For more muscle, more strength, you don't need more reps, you need more WEIGHT. But your body weighs the same in most cases and isn't the easiest weight to lift around, that's why bodyweight exercises are only good in the beginning. If there's any exercise where you can do 20 reps easily, it becomes useless for strength.

Here's my tip: you stop buying ritalin, LSD, and weed, and you spend that goddam money on getting some DB and according weights.
>>
>>25614994
>Nick, what are you doing here. 90% of this post is you talking to yourself.

Wrong, I'm 100% talking to you because I already know all this stuff and don't need to tell myself. If you aren't interested, that's fine, but this stuff may change someone's life, and that's why I do it.

I know for a fact that a few anons here have already signed up for a gym or bought dumbbells and started the program I posted. That's why I do it.

> You are making /fit/ people look like autistic fucks (which is true).

I literally don't give a fuck. They aren't as autistic as they are a bunch of homos. Not sure what the validity of "autistic" has in your mouth, though.

Get this: I don't care if you think I'm being ridiculous or if I'm giving /fit/ a bad name, because I am not insecure and giving you guys a chance for a better life far outweighs the not-eve-real problem of "looking silly on an anonymous board". You have issues man if you're worried about that sort of stuff...

I just got out of bed, too.
>>
>>25615035
>That sound like alot.

Did you select Basal Metabloic Rate?

Drink whole milk and nuts, pistachios, you'll gain weight with that and it's easy to eat.
>>
>>25615062
>Drinking on weekends, yes or no?

No.

Alcohol is shit for your health. It fucks up muscle recovery and is calorific. You'd regain all your calories from a week of losing them.
>>
File: 1451685397811.webm (2MB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1451685397811.webm
2MB, 640x640px
So You're a Girl?

This guide was written for both female and male people. The differences don't actually matter in this guide. Is there anything you should know that male readers don't need to know? Well, as a girl, you may be concerned about getting "too beefy", but that fear is unfounded. You don't need to worry about that, because you won't get too beefy. There are several reasons as to why: first, you won't grow muscles as fast or as big as a male; second, this stuff doesn't happen overnight, even for people who are actively trying to get big. You will have way enough time to see that your physique evolves in a way you like. And should you, somehow, still get accidentally too big for your own taste, it isn't hard to lose muscles: just wait. That said, having good functional strength is also a plus for a woman, just as it is for a man. All the benefits are there too: you can carry more and more easily, you are less prone to injuries, your bones are more supported, your muscles require more energy which means you get to eat more without packing fat, etc.
>>
File: 1451685459761.webm (1MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1451685459761.webm
1MB, 640x360px
You may regard barbell exercises as a male thing to do, but you'd be wrong. Barbell training simply trains muscles, and muscles are good for you. You've probably heard women say they don't want to work out too much because of a concern for losing their "curves", which generally means they are fat and are concerned that they don't have what it takes to actually get fit. Pay no mind to this phony fear. You'll have noticed that a muscular woman has more curves than a fat one. Again, it is relatively easy to get the type of body you want by adjusting the right parameter. If you want more "curves", just eat more and your muscles will be covered by a layer of fat of your own choosing. There is literally no excuse not to get stronger as a woman. You will get fit and sexy and healthy years before you become beefy and manly, if that ever happens at all. It won't happen if you don't want it to happen, and being worrying it is very much like starting a painting and worrying about being recognised in public because your artistic fame. If it was to happen, it wouldn't happen without your consent, it wouldn't happen without years of devoted practice, so just stop worrying about that.
>>
File: i like it.jpg (154KB, 377x360px) Image search: [Google]
i like it.jpg
154KB, 377x360px
>>25615002

i will try my best

if i'm 18 and about 58 kg and 183 (6" and 134 lbs)

would the 5x5 be good since i have weights at home?

also how long until i start seeing changes in my body ?
>>
>>25615071
ok gotcha
>decrease reps
>increase weight
Is the number of sets of any particular importance?

>Here's my tip: you stop buying ritalin, LSD, and weed, and you spend that goddam money on getting some DB and according weights.
Don't kid yourself, I'm still a robot.
I won't eat more or buy dumbbells, as I said I'm fine with slow progress. I will look up some heavy bodyweight exercises. Thanks, heres another bump for your thread.
>>
My workout right now is just 4 sets of pull ups/hanging leg raises until failure with 3 minute rest between.
How fucked up is my upper body going to look if I continue doing this 2-3 times a week?
>>
File: sipsip.jpg (24KB, 314x295px) Image search: [Google]
sipsip.jpg
24KB, 314x295px
>>25613852
I used to go to the gym for a few years and eventually started picking up weights and such to get bigger. Now I'm at uni I haven't exercised for a good 3 months and I'm starting up again but without the luxury of a gym. What at home exercises can I do to get bigger chest and arm muscles preferably without dumbells.
If I dumbells are a necessity, what can you recommend that are cheap?
>>
Thanks for writing all of this up, I'm going to follow your dumbbell workout.
Three questions though: Would buying a pull up bar be helpful?
Is buying protein powder good to help me hit my protein needs?
I only have one dumbbell, so for the military and shoulder presses is there any problem with doing 5 reps for one arm then switching to the other arm?
>>
>>25615171
>would the 5x5 be good since i have weights at home?

Yes.

>>25615171
>also how long until i start seeing changes in my body ?

About a month. Your bicep will get harder very soon and then bulkier too. Keep in mind changes are very, very slow, and if you look every day, you won't see how you're actually growing (not saying you shouldn't, just saying not to get demotivated if you don't see changes).
>>
>>25615186
>Is the number of sets of any particular importance?

None of these numbers need to be exact. 5 sets is good, but if you can only do 3, that's fine. Just increase later. What matters is that you lift heavy enough, read the guide for more.

>Don't kid yourself, I'm still a robot.

You are what you choose to be. Up to you. Nobody's doomed to be anything against their will.

>I won't eat more or buy dumbbells, as I said I'm fine with slow progress.

If you don't have excess fat on you now, eating more will be required to get gains. You're fine now, with slow progress, but how about in 3 years? If you make it that far, you will eventually tired of doing such hard work for so little results, when you could get the same and more in a few months.
>>
Nick, look at us, look at this board.
Why do you even try?
We are lost.
1,82m almost 100kg
>>
Im already working out but i'l gladly read your advice later so posting.
>>
>>25615353
>If I dumbells are a necessity, what can you recommend that are cheap?

Get the cheapest you can find, as long as you can add/remove weight, they'll be fine.

I do advise getting DB at least. Bodyweight will take much more time, but you can still use some as a beginner. Check the list I posted above.
>>
>>25615419
>Would buying a pull up bar be helpful?

If you can, yes. I bought one and realised my doorframes are too thin. Ended up slamming the thing in my face and gave up. Can you do one pullup? If not, there's no urgency to get one.

>Is buying protein powder good to help me hit my protein needs?

Yes, but you can get better protein from meat, eggs, milk, etc, for cheaper. If you aren't short on money, sure, otherwise, don't.

>I only have one dumbbell, so for the military and shoulder presses is there any problem with doing 5 reps for one arm then switching to the other arm?

No problem at all. If anything, the asymmetry will train your core more, as your body needs to compensate. So you get more exercising. It barely takes more time, since while one arm works out, the other rests.
>>
>>25615235
>until failure

Not advised. No need to go that hard at it. Most professional athletes train every day or close to every day: do you think they could if the hit failure regularly?

You need a full body program, something that works everything.
>>
Whats the best way to loose fat? I am somewhere between 15-18 %, so I wanna enter leaner mode before starting lifting so my bulks dont look horrible. I cant go to the gym right now, can I achieve my goal at home with bodyweight stuff? How is my diet supposed to be? Maintenance calories? Help man.
>>
>>25613852
Hey Nick! Recently started lifting and hoping to make le serious gainz this year. I'm a skinnyfag, however, and food is expensive as fuark in Scandinavia. Any recommendations for a skinnyfag trying to up his calorie intake on a budget?
>>
>>25615572
>Nick, look at us, look at this board.

I came here on someone's advice. I gave a customary look.

>Why do you even try?

Because you can do more than you know.

>We are lost.

You are so not lost it hurts. The only problem is your belief that you're lost. I know you're steps away from awesomeness and increasing your love of life 500%. It just hurts to know you may not ever discover that you're so close. I'm here to change that.

>1,82m almost 100kg

Easy. I am not kidding, friend. You can hope to lose 1 kilo of fat every 2 weeks if you follow a simple food program:

1.caculate the calories you need per day
2. subtract 400
3.eat that as a maximum per day

Do this and you WILL lose that weight. Within 40 weeks, you're at 80 kilos again.

Trust me. And this is without working out at all.
>>
>>25615572
>Why do you even try?

Also, I'll keep trying until it makes a difference. Not giving up on you. Perhaps you gave up on yourself, but I haven't and wont. Stick around.

>>25615587

Good.

>>25615868
>Whats the best way to loose fat?

Calculate the calories you need per day, eat 400 less than that. That's the best way, and the only way. All other "diets" hinge on this ultimately.

You don't even need to change your work out to lose more fat, you just need to lower your calories.

Maintenance literally means you won't burn stored fat. You need to undereat.
>>
>>25615877
>Hey Nick! Recently started lifting and hoping to make le serious gainz this year. I'm a skinnyfag, however, and food is expensive as fuark in Scandinavia. Any recommendations for a skinnyfag trying to up his calorie intake on a budget?

Pistachios. Entire bags of them. Whole milk. Peanutbutter. That stuff is caloric as fuck. Count your calories, also, calculate your daily need, and eat more than that.

Money isn't an issue. The excess calories you need won't cost you much more. 400 more calories is less than the price of a sandwich.
>>
So You Think You Can't Do It?

Some of you may feel inadequate for working out. There are only a few cases where this may be true, and it's only due to injuries or special conditions where your doctor literally told you not to run or do this, or that; but even in those cases, there's always something else you can do.

Let's see some cases that don't bar you from training. You think you're too old? You're not. I know you're not because you're alive, and that's the only age that matters, even for training. If anything, the older you get, the more important it is to train strength because, with age, you start losing it. Training can virtually stop this muscle loss. There are people out there who start SS at 91. Do you still think you're too old for it? Your body is a beautiful machine and it will respond well to working out no matter how old you are. As far as strength is concerned. When it comes to cardio, I'm less knowledgeable, but if you listen to your body and work out within your limits, you will make progress.
>>
>>25615943
>Pistachios
wtf Nick I said on a budget in Scandinavia, what's wrong with you? There is literally an absurdly high tax on all nuts where I live. Damn
>>
File: Nick's Fitness Guide for r9k.png (689KB, 3664x2552px) Image search: [Google]
Nick's Fitness Guide for r9k.png
689KB, 3664x2552px
If you are very fat, I would advise being very careful about running, especially if you don't usually run at all. Running is hardcore on the knees and extra weight has drastic influences on your joints. I have no such concerns about weightlifting because they don't require any sort of impact on your joints (mostly): you will not suddenly ask your knees to resist a multiplied version of your own weight on them, multiplied because of kinetic energy. Swimming is a safer option, for cardio, but lifting shouldn't be a problem.

[That's the whole guide.]

[Pic related is the first version of the guide, without these last parts.]
>>
File: 1450868107552.png (104KB, 660x187px) Image search: [Google]
1450868107552.png
104KB, 660x187px
>>25615985
>wtf Nick I said on a budget in Scandinavia, what's wrong with you?

Did you think I was aware of the taxes on nuts around the world for some reason? Tell me, what are the taxes on pistachios in Lithuania? If you don't from memory, then what's wrong with me is the same as with you, and I'd be hard-pressed to think that's a problem.

Even with taxes, one bag of pistachios is tons of calories and easy to eat. Otherwise stuff yourself with bread any of sort. Caloric foods aren't hard to find, but you must make sure to eat enough of them.

What's your problem with eating exactly? Serious question, not rhetoric.
>>
>>25615991
Don't you fucking ignore me, Nick

I can't bulk on fucking milk only
>>
>>25616050

I'm not ignoring anyone. If I somehow missed your post, link me back.

Perhaps this post was for you:

>>25616036
>>
>>25616050

http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/highest-calorie-foods.php

Take your pick.
>>
>>25616036
>taces on pistachios on Lithuania
probably none would be my guess. Sorry for insulting you, got caught up

>one bag of pistachios
pistachios are probably around $100/kg here, not sustainable really.

>what's your problem with eating
Could probably eat as much as I wanted if my go-to choices weren't so expensive. Can't make myself eat 3000+ kcal of bland shit

disregard >>25616050
>>
>>25616084
alright, might be able to work something out with this, thank you Nick!
>>
>>25615923
Im sort of skellyfat so lowering calories didnt make sense. I was hoping you would say something like

>eat at maintenance and excercise..

Also, if I u dereat how much muscle will I lose?
>>
>>25616107
>Sorry for insulting you, got caught up

No prob, passion is necessary.

>>25616107
>Could probably eat as much as I wanted if my go-to choices weren't so expensive.

OK, so check the list I gave you and get what you can. If McDonald's isn't too expensive in your country, consider going there occasionally, and feasting. If you don't do it more than once a week it won't be a problem for your health. How tall and heavy are you again? (metric)
>>
>>25616149
>alright, might be able to work something out with this, thank you Nick!

Welcome. I'll be coming back anyway, and I'll give you guys an email address where you can reach me easily.

>>25616155

Wait, didn't you say you want to lose fat?
>>
>>25613852
Nick, I dislocated my shoulder 3 weeks ago. It's doing pretty well, I've got full mobility and almost no pain. It did hurt when I tried doing a dip yesterday though.

When do you think I could get into weightlifting? How should I work my shoulders to strengthen them and make re-dislocating it less likely?
>>
>>25616241
>Nick, I dislocated my shoulder 3 weeks ago. It's doing pretty well, I've got full mobility and almost no pain. It did hurt when I tried doing a dip yesterday though.

Then stop. Dips are demanding stuff, so let that rest for the moment.

>When do you think I could get into weightlifting? How should I work my shoulders to strengthen them and make re-dislocating it less likely?

A simple way is to lift light enough. Basically, as long as it doesn't hurt, it's fine. If your body sends you pain signals, then stop. Some exercises might be worst than others.

Go light and increase reps, if your should can take it. What does your doctor say? He'll know better than me on your specific case.

Shoulders are tricky stuff, they're very complicated as a joint. I tore my shoulder once and it took months to get better.

Don't rush things, by all means.
>>
Nick, thanks for taking questions.

What's the appropriate amount of calories to eat at a surplus to gain as much muscle as reasonable while also not gaining too much fat?

I believe Scooby's calculator has it at around 200 calories more but he also has a "gain muscle, lose fat" option in which you just eat your TDEE. What do you think about cutting out the bulk/cut cycle entirely for lifters not already that developed?
>>
File: sketch-1445694865062.jpg (83KB, 720x1184px) Image search: [Google]
sketch-1445694865062.jpg
83KB, 720x1184px
>>25616205
Yeah, Im a skinnyfat and I wanna lose the extra fat. Drop to about 12% with bodyweight stuff (like fit stick suggests), then hitting the gym (if Ill be able to) and bulk.

I posted on fit before and wss told Im around 16% bf and I wasnt sure whether I should cut or bulk. (I started lifting, but long story short I didnt achieve much, and now gym is unavailable to me).

So, can I achieve bf levels sticky recommends with bodyweight excercises? Am I gonna look to spooky?

Pic related, I may look a bit different now. I also have a pic where I look a bit more skinnyfat. I also might have flexed my stomach here because of posture. Sorry for long post, hope you have enough attention to read through my bs.

5'10" lord of manlets btw.
>>
>>25616347
>What's the appropriate amount of calories to eat at a surplus to gain as much muscle as reasonable while also not gaining too much fat?

First, the reason why you should overeat: simply to ensure that your body has all it needs. You don't even have to have an excess, it's literally just to make sure you get enough, that's only if getting big fast is a priority. "Clean-bulking" is fine too if you'd rather make sure you don't get fat. That's what I'd do. A slight surplus is enough.

The main thing is protein: eat your protein!

>What do you think about cutting out the bulk/cut cycle entirely for lifters not already that developed?

If muscles needed that much fat, it'd be used, by definition. Fat is unused energy, so by itself, it proves that it isn't needed. I think it's largely bro-science at that point. A slight excess to ensure your body has all it needs, while ensuring you get protein, and that's enough. No need to literally get fat.
>>
Based Nick.

Just moved to a bigger house with GF and I'm thinking of using my spare bedroom to convert into a Gym.

Problem is, I'm sort of poor and live away from the city, so what would you recommend in terms of both equipment and suplements as a bare minimum to see some sort of progress?
>>
>>25616307
Thanks for the reply.

>What does your doctor say?
Not much. He just logged me into the system and said look up some exercises and do them. Everyone is on leave at the moment so I'm going back and seeing a physio in a few days when leave is over (military life). I've been using an elasticated "thera-band" to do some strength exercises while I've been on leave and I want to start doing weightlifting when I go back to strengthen my shoulders to prevent this happening again, as well as increase my general strength.

If I work out my shoulders a lot can I decrease the chances of a repeat injury? I heard that you're much more likely to dislocate a shoulder after it's already happened, and obviously I don't want that.
>>
>>25616362

5'10 isn't manlet, don't fall for memes. You're still taller than most women and that's all that counts.

Now, skinnyfat is still fat. Make no mistake. If your goal is to get stronger, then you don't have to lose weight, you can continue at maintenance and your body will use the extra fat when necessary. That's one option.

Another option is a slight deficit, that is, if you want to lose the fat.

Both are possible and depend entirely on you.

Personally, I don't think you need to cut. Just eat at maintenance and it'll work. The most important thing is to choose which option you like best, but both are viable.
>>
File: download.jpg (4KB, 260x194px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
4KB, 260x194px
>>25616416
>Based Nick.

>basedhood achievement completed

>>25616416
>Problem is, I'm sort of poor and live away from the city, so what would you recommend in terms of both equipment and suplements as a bare minimum to see some sort of progress?

In order of money available:

>dumbbells
>dumbbells with a bench
>power rack and cage, bench, barbell

From 100 to 1000 dollars or so.

If you want strength/muscles/looking good (they all come together, they're the same thing), then definitely go free weights. Dumbbells if short on money, barbell and cage if you have more.

For you, the most efficient is to get dumbbells. Literally all you need for now. You can follow my DB program up there and you will see progress very fast. It won't cost you that much.
>>
>>25616438
>If I work out my shoulders a lot can I decrease the chances of a repeat injury?

If you get stronger, yes, definitely. Your muscles will basically support your bones, and the pressure will be handled by your muscles more than your bones, which prevents injuries and such.

>I heard that you're much more likely to dislocate a shoulder after it's already happened, and obviously I don't want that.

I'm not knowledgeable enough on that, perhaps so. You're also less likely for that to happen if you get more muscles.

If you do things right, you will not get injured. The only times I did injure myself were times when I clearly had a choice and chose wrong:

>sudden sharp pain in elbow during last rep...
>wat do
>am I a pussy? am I weak? NO I ARE STRONG MOTHERFUCKER
>NEW SET, HERE I COME
>AAAAAAARGH
>[sudden intensely intense sharpest sharp pain in same elbow, forced to give up everything]
>snapped my shit up for a month

That's how it generally happens. If I had stopped right away, my elbow would have recovered in days, maybe even the very next day, but I insisted, and I made things 100 times worse. I let it rest for the next 9 days and even that wasn't quite enough. Now when I get that same little sharp pain, I know what the hell my body is trying to say, so I take it easy, and within a day my elbow is fine again.
>>
>>25616530
Thanks man, a couple of questions, you mention protein as the most important thing to develop muscle, so would you recommend any sort of protein supplement or no need for that at this stage (beginner).

And second, I'm skinny fat, 182cm and 66kg. When I was working hard on a warehouse a couple of years I weighted around 55kg and still no abs at all. Is it all just body fat? even though I was light as fuck, for my height at least.
>>
>>25614715

Body and health is more important than most know.

Probably yes.
>>
>>25616393

Alright, thanks for the knowledge. I'll test it out and see how it works.

Another question, if you have the time. Recently I began a cut and seemingly just lost 6-8 pounds of water weight without heavily cutting carbohydrate intake. I'm not at all overweight. Does this amount seem excessive to you?

>>25616416
Do you have spare time? You can build a power rack out of 2x6 for around $100. I've done it. You just need a saw, a drill and a few bits to drive screws with. I also have built weights out of concrete before, if you really want to get imaginative.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (315KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
315KB, 1920x1080px
>>25616461
Muh #goalz is this guys phisique. Not too lean, big enough and I guess decently strong. He is also known as a natty lifter here in Balkans. So... some type of balance between strength and aesthetics. He also seems like he doesnt obsess over cutting and stuff so yeah.. Idk, I may not have the genetics but dare to dream I guess. Alternatively, Dom Mazzeti.

At this point even going from trapmode that I am now to ottermode seems far away tho...
>>
>>25613852

Thanks for all of this, I just dropped out of the gym some months ago.

I might start exercising again.

I'm into contact sports and shit like that, and while I have almost no strength I have a surprisingly good ability to move well and be quick.

Will getting buff hinder my agility?
>>
>>25616611
Not that guy, but you actually need MORE protein during the earlier times of weightlifting. The beginning is the greatest rate of growth if you're like a month in.

For body building you should be getting around 100g protein min, up to 150g if you're getting series. Don't fall for memes like 1g/lb or 2g/kg.

Also, 20-30g of soy protein every other day won't do anything, more than 50g/day would. Do eat at least 80g protein min on your off days too.

Check meats, most contain 80g/lb (450g) protein. Even the cheap shit, just check the labels. Sandwiches, stews, fried, roast, whatever. Protein powders are easier imo than eating up to almost a kg of meat per day, but I never got severely into weightlifting.
>>
>>25616180
>Feast on Micky D's
I can do that.

>How tall and heavy
185 cm 70 kg

Looking to add around 10-15 kg of muscle. aware this will take time. Hitting the gym three times a week rn, doing the SS from /fit/
>>
>>25616611
>Thanks man, a couple of questions, you mention protein as the most important thing to develop muscle, so would you recommend any sort of protein supplement or no need for that at this stage (beginner).

Protein is needed at any stage. The only difference is how much, but people generally advise 1 gram of protein per 1 kilo of your body weight, that's a rough estimate. I don't take that much generally.

If you can get protein shakes and such, go for it. Many shakes have more than just protein, they have vitamins and all that good stuff, so it can't hurt you. The only problem is money. If you can, go for it, if not, don't worry. The best protein are in the meat, eggs, milk, and then plant-based protein, though animal ones are better for us.

Eat plenty of meat and eggs and you'll get your daily need for protein easily enough.

>And second, I'm skinny fat, 182cm and 66kg.

Friend, I think that's just skinny. 66 kilos for that height is very, very light. I remember being 178 at 65 and around, and I was nowhere near fat, even skinny fat.

> When I was working hard on a warehouse a couple of years I weighted around 55kg and still no abs at all.

Most likely because they aren't developed.

> Is it all just body fat?

Not all, but untrained muscles won't have much mass, so you won't see them.

Free weight, once again, is the way to go, even for abs. Compound exercises that work most of the body is best, and THAT will get you abs. The very fact that your abs will have to lift more than just your body is the little difference that makes it all happen. Situps can only go so far, but do them as a beginner.

My DB program should be a good start for you. Don't hesitate to increase reps in the beginning, instead of instantly adding weight. Only increase weight when you can too easily do 10-12 reps of the exercises.
>>
>>25616611

DB program

Military Presses
https://youtu.be/HMvzUDwaBeA

Shoulder Presses DB
https://youtu.be/B-aVuyhvLHU

French Presses
https://youtu.be/RQMQR9r99lg

Rows
https://youtu.be/-koP10y1qZI

Squats
https://youtu.be/UXJrBgI2RxA

Pushups (wall, table)
https://youtu.be/a6YHbXD2XlU

------------------------------------------

Program:

5x5 military presses (5 sets of 5 repetitions)
5x5 shoulder presses
5x5 French presses
5x5 rows
5x5 squats
5x5 pushups

Do this every other day if you can. Taking more rest days is not a problem. Just avoid working out two days in a row.
>>
>>25616649
>concrete
Excuse me, I think you mean cement.

Concrete is a fucking bitch to deal with, unless you mix more cement in. (I tried concrete first, and no, it's not workable unless you add more cement)

The weights won't be perfect either, and you have to make molds. I made cylinders on pizza boxes with wax paper and shit, super ghetto. Still a fuckton cheaper than normal weights.
>>
Any good bodyweight workouts? I dont even have a pullup bar right now but wanna do some exercise without being an idiot.
>>
>>25616649
>Recently I began a cut and seemingly just lost 6-8 pounds of water weight

I kinda doubt water weight is even a thing. Apart from urine, I'm none too sure about water weight being a significant thing. We're two thirds water, so I'm not sure which water they mean by water weight really. You probably lost fat in that cut, more than just water.

It doesn't sound excessive. Don't lose more than 1 pound per week, but if you sometimes lose a bit more, don't worry about it. I sometimes lose a whole kilo overnight, and I'm not exactly sure how that happens (the water weight maybe?) but yeah, the long run is where it's at.

>>25616649
>You can build a power rack out of 2x6 for around $100. I've done it.

Boy, I want pictures of that! I'm saving to buy the whole thing, but if it can be done and done in a functional way, I'm definitely interested.

I definitely, definitely want to see your homemade gym. I know /fit/ would be interested too.
>>
File: 1449682367407.jpg (225KB, 832x1125px) Image search: [Google]
1449682367407.jpg
225KB, 832x1125px
>>25616677
>So... some type of balance between strength and aesthetics.

Strength is esthetics, balance is mandatory.

You'll be fine, that's a perfectly achievable goal, my friend.
>>
>>25616689
>Will getting buff hinder my agility?

The level at which you need to be to lose that is really, really advanced.

I mean, consider pic related, he was the strongest man in the world for years and now he does MMA and kicks some major ass. You tell me if he has issues being fast:

https://youtu.be/RYXeLiWb8Pc

The only people who do "esthetic" differently are body-builders, but even those had to do strength first. I personally don't find bodybuilders esthetic and actual strength, as in strongmen, looks better in my opinion, Pudzianowski, the Polish Beast, is a good example of how strength is actually esthetic, and he's the most extreme case.
>>
>>25616705
>Not that guy, but you actually need MORE protein during the earlier times of weightlifting.

This man may be correct. I wouldn't be surprised. I can only confirm that when you begin, you'll do leaps and bounds, so yes, he's very likely correct.
>>
>>25616714
>Looking to add around 10-15 kg of muscle. aware this will take time. Hitting the gym three times a week rn, doing the SS from /fit/

You'll be OK. Make sure form is PERFECT:

Work Out Tutorials

https://youtu.be/F3QY5vMz_6I?list=PLcQezwqoDs7ECX54FS0Lnkcn47AL5a5-L

https://youtu.be/-4qRntuXBSc?list=PLcQezwqoDs7ECX54FS0Lnkcn47AL5a5-L

https://youtu.be/Dy28eq2PjcM?list=PLcQezwqoDs7ECX54FS0Lnkcn47AL5a5-L

https://youtu.be/rT7DgCr-3pg?list=PLcQezwqoDs7ECX54FS0Lnkcn47AL5a5-L

https://youtu.be/7HRqB30lxmo?list=PLcQezwqoDs7ECX54FS0Lnkcn47AL5a5-L

https://youtu.be/423Ew_DQC40
>>
>>25616829
That pic is what I'm going to base my program on. Thanks Nick. I'm dislocated shoulder guy btw, I'll start out with light weights doing something like 4 sets of 7-8 reps.

Is deadlifting particularly taxing on the shoulders and not a good idea to do soon after a shoulder dislocation/injurty?
>>
>>25616788
>Any good bodyweight workouts?

Check the chart, up there, ctrl f "bodyweight". Do one per column. Do 5 sets. Adjust reps as you can. When you can do 20, move to a more difficult version.
>>
>>25616952
>Is deadlifting particularly taxing on the shoulders and not a good idea to do soon after a shoulder dislocation/injurty?

Depends what. It depends the weight you use, too. Lift light enough and you'll be fine, same as DB. You should have no problem if you lift light enough while your shoulder recovers completely. But don't rush anything and listen to that shoulder. At the first sign of actual pain, stop.
>>
>>25616785
You're not excused, I did mean concrete. Ready Mix, to be exact. The mould I used was a circle cut out from a plant pot, lined with a garbage bag and set onto a piece of plywood. I Reinforced it with plastic coated chain link fencing I had laying around. I put a piece of ABS pipe in the middle for the barbell to side into.

My barbell is actually just a piece of galvanized metal piping.

I did, however, add it more water than it needed. Made it a bit easier to work for the price of weakness. They're nearly three years old at this point and still together. I'm sure I lost a few grams off them due to wear and tear.

You can cut down on the amount of holes left into the concrete by putting a sander or something on the mould and vibrating it while still wet.

Glad to see you're keeping the rock weight game strong.
>>
File: deadlift-muscles-worked.png (105KB, 455x295px) Image search: [Google]
deadlift-muscles-worked.png
105KB, 455x295px
>>25616952
>Is deadlifting particularly taxing on the shoulders

Sorry, I responded about BB in general. It's not the most taxing on shoulders, no.
>>
File: 1377435284133.gif (985KB, 329x232px) Image search: [Google]
1377435284133.gif
985KB, 329x232px
>>25617025
>You're not excused, I did mean concrete.
>>
I made an email address for 12 months:

[email protected]

In case you have other questions and such, you can now ask at any time.
>>
>>25616811
Hmm, I should have mention that it was over the course of a few days that I lost that much weight while only cutting 500 calories from my TDEE. I have limited understanding of the mechanisms involved but you should find this link interesting:
http://fourhourworkweek.com/2013/05/11/how-to-gain-20-pounds-in-28-days-the-extreme-muscle-building-secrets-of-ufc-fighters/

Don't worry, only the title is click bait and it's not written by Tim. It's a guest post.

As for the gym, I'm sure I would get mocked by fit. I keep it in my shed that has the same lighting of those pictures of robot's computers in basements and crawlspaces. It was one of the first things I ever built and and out of utility lumber, it looks god awful. I'll take a picture of it sometime and post it if you ever make another thread. I'll double check to see if I have a photo on my computer.
>>
>>25617194
>Hmm, I should have mention that it was over the course of a few days that I lost that much weight while only cutting 500 calories from my TDEE. I

500 deficit is a big deficit. It's normal, but don't think of it as a small deficit.

>>25617194
>As for the gym, I'm sure I would get mocked by fit.

Correct, but like ANYONE who posts on /fit/. The majority of fitizens go there for keks. No matter what you say or show, you will be mocked. Doesn't matter, what matters is the people who will be truly interested, and that'll be most of the people who respond to your thread. The stuff you're doing sounds pretty fucking badass to me. Don't be insecure, people who actually lift respect practical people and people who can make stuff themselves rather than pay someone else to do it for them.

I definitely want to see this stuff!

Use my email if you want. Post before yours has it.
>>
>>25613852
I've been lifting for a while but never worked on my abs. They are only visible when I flex them, but you can definitely see them. What should I do to take them to the next level and get hard abs? Should I just do a 20 minute ab exercise every day?
>>
>>25613852
Damn Nick you're one awesome fucker. Thank you for all your dedication.
>>
>>25617377
>I've been lifting for a while but never worked on my abs.

Most lifting involves your abs one way or another.

>What should I do to take them to the next level and get hard abs?

Lift heavier, same as every other muscle.

What kind of routine do you do?

>>25617382

You're welcome!
>>
>>25617332
>500 deficit is a big deficit. It's normal, but don't think of it as a small deficit.

I meant it relative to the deficit that could see someone possibly lose that much weight in a few days.

Alright,you got it. I'll take a photo today or tomorrow and send it off to you. I actually have been delaying going for a run by posting in this thread.
>>
>>25617400
>What kind of routine do you do?
Just basically phrak's greyskull variant. I have an upper body day and a lower body day, and a deadlift day. And sometimes I just go to the gym and freak out and do whatever I want.

I don't have an abs routine.
>>
File: 1424163204904-0.png (716KB, 1288x3200px) Image search: [Google]
1424163204904-0.png
716KB, 1288x3200px
>>25617432
>I actually have been delaying going for a run by posting in this thread.

Go run and come back!
>>
>>25617475

Oh, I'm a fucking idiot. I sent you the wrong link of some other article I was reading at the time. I didn't mean to imply that it's possible to build 20 pounds of new muscle within a few months.

Here, this should be it: http://fourhourworkweek.com/2013/05/06/how-to-cut-weight-ufc/

I'm off.
>>
>>25617653
>http://fourhourworkweek.com/2013/05/06/how-to-cut-weight-ufc/

OK, thanks! See ya later!
>>
Hey, Nick.

I have a baby face, and not the good kind. Despite balding and being unable to grow facial hair, I look like a 12-year-old. Not only that, but I have wide hips. Really, really wide hips. My current body type is what I'd call post-skinnyfat, bordering on fat.

How fucking ridiculous will I look if I lift? Is there a way I can ensure I don't end up t-rex mode or in some other bonkers shape?
>>
how to get a bubble butt? How often? What exercises? Pls no gym thanks
>>
Hey Nick, thanks to you I've started lifting at home with my dumbbells, following your 5x5 training.
I'm still only a beginner and use about 6 kg of weight per arm, and I was wondering how much time I should spend resting between each sessions.
I've read somewhere 3 mins of rest was the best in order to increase strength, but isn't that a lot? I can do everything with one minute of rest, it takes some effort but it seems enough to me, or am I just lifting too light?
>>
>>25613863
>>25613852

So you're a Christian, right OP?
>>
>>25617732
Squats. Just do them in your room. My ex gf did 200 a day, I think 100 in the morning and 100 in the afternoon, and she had an amazing ass. AMAZING.
>>
>>25617755
But won't I get big thighs? I don't want that but thanks for the tip
>>
>>25617774
Your thighs will get more "toned". Why are so many women stupid enough to think they'll get thunderthighs by doing squats? Jesus christ. They'll look better, trust me, and PLEASE SPREAD THIS INFORMATION TO OTHER WOMEN.

Unweighted squats. Lots of them. You will look ten thousand times better and no, your thighs will not become disgusting tree trunks, they will look smoother and "more toned".
>>
>>25617723
>How fucking ridiculous will I look if I lift?

Not ridiculous at all. It will improve your looks, health, and everything else, significantly.

> Is there a way I can ensure I don't end up t-rex mode or in some other bonkers shape?

Do full body and start with my DB program. I can tell from experience that you won't get T-Rex mode from it.

More generally, these changes don't happen fast, so you'll always see well in advance where it's going.
>>
>>25617732
>how to get a bubble butt? How often? What exercises? Pls no gym thanks

Squats, any variations on them. Ask YouTube, it has tons of help for that.

That said, read my guide, the part about abs, it's really about only wanting to work on part of your body.
>>
>>25617821
It's probably a feminist meme or something that we shouldn't work out or something
>>
>>25617744
>Hey Nick, thanks to you I've started lifting at home with my dumbbells, following your 5x5 training.

Awesome!

>I'm still only a beginner and use about 6 kg of weight per arm,

Depending on the exercise, that's not bad at all. I started with less. For a beginner, that may even be too much. don't expect to use the same weight for all exercises. Rows should enable you to lift much heavier than shoulder presses, for instance.

>and I was wondering how much time I should spend resting between each sessions.

Enough to allow you to repeat the set. That can be 2 minutes or 45 seconds. I don't count, just get back to it when you feel ready.

>I've read somewhere 3 mins of rest was the best in order to increase strength, but isn't that a lot?

I've read that it was 2 minutes, but that's more likely for people who are more advanced and lift shitloads. If you can repeat the set, you've rested enough. Don't worry about anything else.

> I can do everything with one minute of rest, it takes some effort but it seems enough to me, or am I just lifting too light?

It's fine. Scooby advises 45 seconds or so, and adjust depending on how you're doing. Nothing is set in stone. What matters is that you get enough to redo the set and nothing else.
>>
File: 1426636021453.jpg (193KB, 1000x1112px) Image search: [Google]
1426636021453.jpg
193KB, 1000x1112px
>>25617750
>So you're a Christian, right OP?

I can't honestly give you a straight response on this, and not because I don't want to. Sorry. I'm knowledgeable about the faith, though.
>>
>>25617774
>But won't I get big thighs? I don't want that but thanks for the tip

Bigger happens when stronger happens. If you do high reps, you don't get stronger, you get resistant. Just like running a lot won't give you big legs, see marathon runners.
>>
>>25617862
>It's probably a feminist meme or something that we shouldn't work out or something

It's more than a meme, it's a hope. If women get fit, and feminists don't, they won't like being the ugliest of the bunch. They resent being associated with being unfeminine already.

Please make it worse for them by becoming splendid.
>>
File: 1440013296547.jpg (13KB, 188x182px) Image search: [Google]
1440013296547.jpg
13KB, 188x182px
>Try doing cardio
>Self-conscious, can't do it at the gym or during the day when everyone's out, have to do it at night
>Retard normalfags coming back from the bar shout "RUN FORREST RUN"
>Sometimes get stopped by police who don't see I clearly have earphones in and can't put 2 and 2 together and realize I'm trying to work out
>>
File: 1452133155141.png (116KB, 304x287px) Image search: [Google]
1452133155141.png
116KB, 304x287px
>>25617946
>Rows should enable you to lift much heavier than shoulder presses, for instance.

Yeah figured as much since it seems so easy, I'll add extra weight when an exercise doesn't seem as hard, thanks for the info.

>I've read that it was 2 minutes, but that's more likely for people who are more advanced and lift shitloads. If you can repeat the set, you've rested enough. Don't worry about anything else.

Awesome, I'll keep that in mind.

Thanks for being such a bro man.
>>
>>25618091

It's OK. Most joggers get some of that. Run around a football field or some other place like that. Surely there's something where other joggers go.

Drunks and cops, nothing to worry about.
>>
>>25618100
>Thanks for being such a bro man.

Always here for you, no homo.

Write down my email if you have questions when I don't have a thread up.

[email protected]
>>
File: 1344051492675.jpg (49KB, 500x442px) Image search: [Google]
1344051492675.jpg
49KB, 500x442px
>>25613852
I'll probably ask /fit/

but I've made my NYR to flexibility and mobility training, because that's what stops me from lifting every time, and probably will contribute to my overall health better than anything. Basically, if I improve my flexibility, lifting will follow.

I'm REALLY struggling with my hamstring flexibility and hip flexors though, although the hamstrings the most. Trying to stretch these things is absolute torture on me, considering I can barely put my body into a 90 degrees angle.

Do you have any tips? I picked up a foam roller too in order to help loosen some parts up, but it's really just what shuts me down every time.
>>
>>25618091
>try doing cardio
>joints are complete shit
>within a minute want to lie down on the ground and not move as my back is on fire
>would go home and drink and sleep after any physical labor
>can't even life 65lbs without my back hurting the next day
kill me pls
>>
File: 1411380058138.jpg (413KB, 1168x1250px) Image search: [Google]
1411380058138.jpg
413KB, 1168x1250px
>>25618545
>I'll probably ask /fit/

I don't guaratee a serious answer from them every time. You're better off asking me first.

>but I've made my NYR to flexibility and mobility training, because that's what stops me from lifting every time, and probably will contribute to my overall health better than anything. Basically, if I improve my flexibility, lifting will follow.

Yes, I have a knee problem and currently working hard on flexibility.

>I'm REALLY struggling with my hamstring flexibility and hip flexors though, although the hamstrings the most.

Exactly my problem.

>Trying to stretch these things is absolute torture on me, considering I can barely put my body into a 90 degrees angle.

After over a decade of hours at a computer, my hamstrings are insanely short and I have zero flexibilty. I'm getting this back slowly, and the purpose is so that I can run without pain and do squats without pain as well.

Short hamstrings force kneecaps into contact with other bones, which causes pain and wear out your knees. I guess that's your problem too.

>Do you have any tips? I picked up a foam roller too in order to help loosen some parts up, but it's really just what shuts me down every time.

What every doctor I know of is to hold a position for 30 seconds to a minute.

Here's the stuff I do:

>put leg on small table or chair, leg straight, hold

I'm so inflexible that I can barely stand straight doing that. Don't go too far, it must not be painful, just on the verge of pain, but not painful. It sure is uncomfortable. Go slow, no bouncing.

>sit, butterfly position, put feet sole to sole, bring close to dick, try lowering both legs, hold

>stand, spread until it becomes tricky, swing left and right with your body, you'll feel the strings tighten with each move

>stand, feet together, try touching your toes, KEEP YOUR BACK STRAIGHT, even if you can't go low at all, what matters is tension in your strings, when it feels tense, hold
>>
>>25618658
>>joints are complete shit

Because of flexibility, most likely. See my previous post: short hamstring cause kneepain. Getting flexible will give you better joints.

>within a minute want to lie down on the ground and not move as my back is on fire

Alternate running and walking at a pace where you can casually chat while running. More than that and it's too much already.

>can't even life 65lbs without my back hurting the next day

Then it's too heavy. Lift lighter, focus on form. Especially in the beginning. Nobody cares about anyone else's stats, have no shame, I started light as fuck. What matters is progression, nothing else.
>>
>>25619000

Trips for bumps, bump this thread!
>>
Any recommendations for good dumbbell brand?
>>
>>25619567

Any. The only thing it needs to do is have some weight. You can't really go wrong with this shit.
>>
>>25618915
Awesome. I'll try all of that. I appreciate it my man.
>>
>>25619735

And you have my email, right?

[email protected]
>>
>>25613939
Nick what are some good calve excersises
The one with the barbell in your neck crushes my shoulders and the one sitting with barbells on your knee fucks up my knee.

We only have leg press and I always have the fear of slipping and crushing my leg.

Thanks.
>>
File: image.jpg (45KB, 507x500px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
45KB, 507x500px
ITT: some fag with nick tripcode read the sticky lurking /fit/ and thinks he can talk down to /r9k/.

Go spout remedial lifting shit elsewhere you fucking manlet.
>>
>>25614023
I do squads like
12x
10x
8x
6x

Should I change my. Routine?

I usually do this and then work up to
14x
12x
10x
8x
If I can do that I add wheight.

I could really use your advice
My gym buddy is getting stronger than I am and it sucks. I dont have much going on in my life and being on of the few 'fit' guys was my thing.

T. Narcist

Thinking you re better than everyone but knowing you re not
>>
>>25619978
>Nick what are some good calve excersises

Only one I know and tried is the calf raise on a step from a staircase. You just go up and down. I guess you can add weight to yourself to do this one.

Sorry I'm not very knowledgeable on calves.

If anyone else knows, tell us!
>>
>>25620082
Thanks dude. You're the shit.
>>
>>25620079
>I do squads like
>12x
>10x
>8x
>6x

With the same weight? If yes, then maybe consider resting more between sets so you can do the same amount of reps for each set.

That said, you're lifting too light. If you can do 12, you need to increase wait until you can only do like 5. That way you'll get stronger sooner. What you're doing is much less efficient, you're just tiring yourself, basically, kinda like cardio.

>I usually do this and then work up to
14x
12x
10x
8x
If I can do that I add wheight.

Again, if you can do 14 reps of something, it's way too light. Better add weight and do only 5. Use enough weight that you CANNOT DO 7 or 8, and do 5 with that.

>My gym buddy is getting stronger than I am and it sucks.

I am not surprised, your routine doesn't encourage strength (meaning muscles).

Read the guide about "how to lift", for details.
>>
>>25620119

Sorry I couldn't help more!
>>
>>25617744
>>25617732
She's just a dumb bitch making excuses. She'll never have a nice bum
>>
File: 1451753750636.png (374KB, 492x420px) Image search: [Google]
1451753750636.png
374KB, 492x420px
>tfw had good upper body workout yesterday
>got to work and found out I had to move heavy shit all day with my upper body
bye bye muscle recovery bye bye gains
>>
So I've been trying to convince my family to eat healthier. They agreed, but they said that we all need to do the no carb diet. I told them that all that matters is calories in, calories out, but they say it's different for them because they're old and they have to kickstart their metabolism. Are they full of shit, and if so, how do I convince them differently? Fit sticky won't help either. They don't believe anything that they read on the internet.
>>
File: how to lose weight.png (77KB, 1303x852px) Image search: [Google]
how to lose weight.png
77KB, 1303x852px
>>25620882
>They agreed, but they said that we all need to do the no carb diet.

They're wrong.

>I told them that all that matters is calories in, calories out, but they say it's different for them because they're old and they have to kickstart their metabolism.

You're right, and age has nothing to do with this. Just calculate it, age is a parameter.

Friend, if you don't believe the stuff doctors say (not just the Internet), then they don't really want to try, make them face that fact as early as possible. If they don't believe in fucking calories, why even bother?

Just get fat and die an early death already. Don't fuck around with bad faith.
>>
>>25620882

>kickstart metabolism

Metabolism never stops. They're full of shit and not even trying. Just have everyone count calories or all else will fail.
>>
>>25620959
>>25620995
I guess I'll try to mention it again, but they just straight up don't believe me. Oh well, I guess I could just eat separately from them.
>>
>>25621075
>but they just straight up don't believe me.

Really? Then dare them to ask a doctor about it. See if they go through with it. Show them the definition of what a fucking calorie is.

You can easily own them by asking questions, they don't know how shit works as much as you do.

They probably think a calorie is a thing like a protein, instead of a measure.
>>
>>25620882
Offer the low carb alternative
>>
Are we done for the day?
>>
File: 1448859964815.jpg (30KB, 480x342px) Image search: [Google]
1448859964815.jpg
30KB, 480x342px
>>25621739
Thanks for the help. Also

>likes helping
>being this much of a normie

REEEE.. NORMIE... GE.... S..STAY ON THIS BOARD WE ACTUALLY NEED HELP BUT HIDE THAT BEHIND MEME FACDE REEEEEEEEE
>>
File: 1407779950341.jpg (56KB, 342x342px) Image search: [Google]
1407779950341.jpg
56KB, 342x342px
>>25623290

I'll stay ;)
>>
Hey Nick is my diet okay to get /fit/?
breakfast:
>rice or buckwheat
Mini-lunch
>2 ham sandviches with cheese
Lunch
>2 tomatoes
>2 potatoes
>2 carrots
>1 cucumber
>250-500 g of meat (beef, pork, chicken - different everyday)
Dinner
>corn flakes with milk

Do you think I could eat like this forever?
>>
>>25624214
>Do you think I could eat like this forever?

Sure, but what's the total in calories?

The thing is, you may get bored if you always eat the same. You need a little bit of everything, so vary, just count your calories.

But yeah, your diet is healthy. What are your goals?
>>
>>25624331
Get fit.
Right now I am 185cm and 65kg and I want to become strong and good looking so people don't call me MrSlim anymore.
Also, all my life I looked at food like something to keep me alive and not something I really enjoy, so I can guarantee I will not get bored.
>count your calories
Can't be arsed to do that, but I feel so full after lunch I think I get enough.
>>
>>25624446
>Can't be arsed to do that, but I feel so full after lunch I think I get enough.

>not counting
>thinks he's full when he feels full
>185 and 65 kilos

Well, Mr. Slim, we both know why you're not putting on weight. You absolutely MUST count your calories if you intend to change things. You cannot go by "I am full" or "I'm hungry" because various foods will fill you up variously. Since you eat healthy, you'll be filled up long before you reached any caloric surplus, typically.

You need to eat more and count your calories. I can't stress this enough.
>>
>>25624503
But Nick FOOD COSTS MONEY and I am not living with parents or NEET so I can't go around throwing money like that.
Can you recommend something cheap (and healthy, possibly) that has shitload of calories? I don't care about taste.
I might get around to counting the calories soon I believe, since you emphasize it so much.
>>
>>25624714

http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/highest-calorie-foods.php

Go nuts. Pistachios are insane, peanutbutter too. You don't need a huge surplus to get bigger. Eat one jar of peanutbutter a day on top of all else you normally eat, and you'll gain weight. The price of a peanutbutter jar a day (and I'm exaggerating) can't be too much per month.

And yes, counting calories is absolutely mandatory.

Also, calculate your BMR, that's mandatory too or counting your calories won't be as efficient.

http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html
>>
>>25624714

You need to eat over 1700kcal a day. At least, if you're around 25.

So go for 2100kcal a day or more if you can.

Counting will show you how much (or how little), you actually eat.
>>
>>25620183
No worries bro, helpful all around. Thanks again
>>
You still around, Nick? I took a few photos of the power rack and posting them here will save me from creating a temporary email address.
>>
>>25625443
>You still around, Nick? I took a few photos of the power rack and posting them here will save me from creating a temporary email address.

POSTEM!
>>
>>25613852

Why would I want to get fit? I don't care about "getting pussy" and getting fit just for the sake of "getting pussy" seems more like a huge fraud to me.
I'm more interested in the psychological effects of getting fit?
Will my brain work better when I'm fit?
Will my lazyness disappear when I'm fit?
How much time do I have to spend per day to become fit?
Do I need to get a gym membership to become fit?
>>
File: PovertyRack.png (347KB, 365x649px) Image search: [Google]
PovertyRack.png
347KB, 365x649px
>>25625562

I forget exactly how much lumber went into this but something like this would be close:

9 8' 2x6
1 10' 2x6
2 10' 2x4
1 8' 2x4

Plus screws and bolts. It's bolted at each post and the L shaped cross member that connects the two sides is bolted in as well, which makes it possible to move it in two large pieces.

It's about four feet by four feet. The 2x4 for the top must be a bit longer than that, and that's where I fucked up. You could go for 2x6 for the top but I wanted to extra room for pressing.
>>
>>25625621
>Why would I want to get fit?

More reasons than I can cite here.

> I don't care about "getting pussy"

I'm engaged myself. I already have "pussy", I don't lift for more of it.

>getting fit just for the sake of "getting pussy" seems more like a huge fraud to me.

Yes, and more often than not, it's not enough motivation. Unless you do it for yourself, you won't make it.

>I'm more interested in the psychological effects of getting fit?

From a personal experience: it's heaven. It's like meditation, you spend yourself, you feel better during and after. I love it.

>Will my brain work better when I'm fit?

Studies have shown this, yes. Your brain functions better in a fit body. Quite logically.

>Will my lazyness disappear when I'm fit?

If you get organised, yes. Being fit means you've achieved a lot already, and being stronger will give you more energy, things will be easier to do, which will also help.

>How much time do I have to spend per day to become fit?

3 times a week, from 45 minutes to an hour is plenty enough.

>Do I need to get a gym membership to become fit?

No. You can work out at home.

I answer all these in great details in my guide.
>>
>>25615991

GUIDE, EVERYONE, GUIDE HERE.

Save it, read it. It will enlighten you. It's everything I wish I had been told years and years ago.
>>
File: PR.png (330KB, 365x649px) Image search: [Google]
PR.png
330KB, 365x649px
>>25625687

The supports are from a junk yard. They bend a bit but can support well over 350 pounds.
>>
File: ghdfgh.png (305KB, 363x643px) Image search: [Google]
ghdfgh.png
305KB, 363x643px
>>25625720

This is made from galvanised plumbing parts. There's a pipe cap on the other side which holds them in place.
>>
File: image.jpg (517KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
517KB, 1920x1080px
Why get fit?
>>
>>25625687

THIS IS FUCKING AWESOME!

No, seriously, this is great.

Holy shit, man. Do you have a plan to build this?

I'm saving them if that's fine with you.
>>
>>25625747
Wait, isn't he this guy?

http://i.4cdn.org/gif/1452264102443.webm
>>
File: dfghdfh.png (333KB, 361x643px) Image search: [Google]
dfghdfh.png
333KB, 361x643px
>>25625738

Bench isn't included in the cut list. If you buy 10' long 2x6 instead of 8' you could probably save a bit of money in building the bench.

The rock weights, like everything, are rather poorly done. I regret not making them bigger , having a taper on the plastic pot form, and the piping isn't completely straight so there's gaps in the weight when they are all put on.
>>
File: Untitledasdfgaergaerg.jpg (2MB, 5184x1936px) Image search: [Google]
Untitledasdfgaergaerg.jpg
2MB, 5184x1936px
>tfw even though I'm losing weight I still feel worthless, disgusting and depressed
>>
File: 1452107727148.jpg (68KB, 487x494px) Image search: [Google]
1452107727148.jpg
68KB, 487x494px
>>25625747

So you don't die 40 years before your time? There are countless reasons.
>>
>>25625784

Nerd porn? Really? I couldn't fap to it, no homo.
>>
>>25625833

Take it easy. Nothing happens overnight. Hold on, you will get to a point where things will snap into awesome mode. Keep trucking on!
>>
>>25625805

This is so awesome. I saved them all. You could entirely start a thread on /fit/ with that:

>So why don't you build your own gym?

Did you design it all yourself or found plans somewhere?
>>
>>25625768
Go for it, it's all out in the ether now.

I didn't have a plan for it, I stole the idea from other people online and modified it. Honestly, it would look a thousand times better if it wasn't made out of utility lumber.

You take two pieces of 2x6 and screw them together, cut the holes, and that forms the four posts. Two posts get bolted on a 2x6 that's longer than 4 feet by a few inches.

From there you make a hole in back of it to connect the four foot long L shaped piece made of two four by fours. That sets the width of the whole thing. Cut two support pieces on 45 degree angles and screw them into place. Make sure everything is square and then drill the holes for the side pieces and bolt them on. Actually, that should have already been done before you stood the whole thing up.

From there you cut the 2x4 for the top pieces. Two of them have to be 4 feet 3 inches to cover the ends.
>>
>>25617044
what website do these images come from?
>>
>>25625687

Is that your bench?

Also, ever thought of adding pullup bars and dip stuff on top?
>>
>>25625934
>Two posts get bolted on a 2x6 that's longer than 4 feet by a few inches.

Whoops, they are actually screwed into the post from the bottom of the rack. The bolts are on the side and the L piece.

>four foot long L shaped piece
There's just one L piece.

I believe the posts are exactly four feet from end to end.
>>
>>25625979

Google, and the other I found on /fit/. I'm sure I saw better resolutions somewhere but hadn't saved them.
>>
>>25625833
nice progress, keep it up
>>
>>25625934
>Honestly, it would look a thousand times better if it wasn't made out of utility lumber.

Looks pretty fucking glorious to me. The fact that you made it yourself adds to it.

I'm almost considering doing this. Buying one would cost me 1000 of my monies.

How much did this cost you?
>>
>>25625702

Thank you for answering my questions.
>>
>>25626029

That's what I should have done. Instead of the front piece, you get piping to replace it. I'm sure there's more on that online. Trying to do pullups on the 2x4 isn't good for the hands but I sometimes do them anyway.

That's the bench. It's only about 6 inches off the ground. I made it as a temporary bench but it worked well enough that I didn't bother building anything bigger. It's easy to move in and out of there but, obviously, your knees come up higher on the ground than on a real bench. I never owned one so I'm not sure if it affects anything when lifting. You probably don't get as much drive on the smaller bench.
>>
>>25626125

Welcome, if you have more, you know where to find me:

[email protected]
>>
File: 1440982139477.jpg (77KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
1440982139477.jpg
77KB, 720x960px
>>25626124

I'm not sure, I would guess around $140, maybe less, but I built it a few years ago so I don't remember.

I would guess around $80 for the lumber if it wasn't utility lumber. Just take the cut list I gave you and price everything out on Home Depot online or a local lumber yard. You'll have to add on a pack of screws, 6 bolts, nuts, washers and piping onto that cost.

To be honest, I'm not even sure you need the bolts. Wood glue would probably work just as well since the wood would break before the metal does anyway and I drilled the holes a bit to deep because I didn't want to buy longer bolts. All the weight is compressive weight, AKA the type of weight where wood really excels at. You just need to keep the top and sides from wobbling. The best way to do that is to screw it to the ceiling joist. Once that is done, it can support a fair amount of weight. The only issue I see is that if someone doesn't space the holes out enough and the safety bars drop through. This can be avoided by drilling the holes exactly where you need to to squat and rack and then evenly spacing them out from there at a larger distance.
>>
>>25626150

If you ever decide to make a thread about it, send me a link by email. I want to see that.
>>
>>25626365

What's your job?

o
r
i
g
i
n
a
l
>>
>>25626374
I probably wont ever post a thread on it. These days I actually do wood working so that rack is actually an embarrassment for me. When I built it wasn't skilled at all.

If you decide to build one you may wish you had something a bit nicer. I would consider buying a $400 used power rack instead of building this as it will take some time to build and has no resale value at all.

Tools may cost you some money as well but you should have them for life once you're done with this project. You could even use a hand saw for this, but a mitre or circular saw would be easier. As I mentioned before, you'll need a drill and bits for the drill. Probably a tape measure. I would suggest buying a framing square. On the bright side, is once you build something the next thing you build becomes easier.
>>
>>25626538
Isn't a 500+ caloric deficit a pretty bad idea? Every source I've ever heard says 500 is the upper cap and 250 is your safest bet.
>>
>>25626569
>I would consider buying a $400 used power rack

I can get one for 600, brand new, with everything I need. Just saving up. But some people on /fit/ live in places where they don't sell this stuff, and THOSE guys would literally worship you if you gave them some help.

If you made a plan with images and directions, they would love it. I have no doubt.

Thanks for posting.

I must go now, see you around!
>>
File: mourinho 2.jpg (38KB, 858x536px) Image search: [Google]
mourinho 2.jpg
38KB, 858x536px
>>25613852
sup familia

what do you think of the 5x5 SL routine with 2 pairs of dumbbells? can't really afford a bb, and I like the fact that they have a nifty app where I can track down my progress and shit
>>
>>25626625
>Isn't a 500+ caloric deficit a pretty bad idea? Every source I've ever heard says 500 is the upper cap and 250 is your safest bet.

If you want to gain weight, 500 more a day isn't that much. You need nearly 8000 to get one more kilo, my friend.

There are days where I overeat by over a thousand, not even on purpose. And I'm fine.

250 is if you're bulking but aren't a skelly, If you are a skelly and want to gain mass, 500 will be fine. Way more is often advised for very skeletic people.
>>
>>25626655

That, or try my DB program.

Gotta go guys! See ya!

Write me if you need to, you got my email.
>>
>>25626538

NEET. I worked odd jobs before and used to stock shelves overnight. I saved enough money to buy nearly 4 acres of land and I'm in the process of putting a small 24 by 14 home on it. It's really slow going. It's been nearly three years since I bought the land and I wouldn't ever recommend doing everything yourself. Still, at the end of the day I'll have a $45,000 in a property worth almost $90,000, with a brand new well, driveway and septic system.

I also do 100% of the work on my own car, if that would amuse you. I wasn't naturally gifted at any of this. I started doing everything myself because I was insecure around those who hold. I even have a garden so I can grow my own vegetables.
>>
>>25626705

That's pretty damn cool.

I like your style.
>>
>>25624789
I just bought a jar of peanut butter and holy fucking shit does it taste disgusting.
I know I said taste doesn't matter but damn, I was not expecting this.
Any tips to make it more tasty?
>>
>>25626812
>Any tips to make it more tasty?

Put it on bread with jam?

Eating a whole jar of delicious jam also works, but it's not as healthy (don't do it every day and you'll be fine).

Try another brand, peanutbutter should be delicious. Put it on crackers or any sort of thing you normally enjoy.
>>
>>25626790
Thanks, man.

You take care. I'll be around.
>>
OK, guys, this time I'm out for real.

[email protected] for any more questions!
>>
>>25626847
It tastes like peanuts, I like peanuts, but such a high concentration of peanuts just makes it taste bad.
I think I will go with delicious jam when I finish this jar.
Thread posts: 208
Thread images: 55

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.