[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mobile phones and their impact on communication

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: that feel.png (7KB, 423x409px) Image search: [Google]
that feel.png
7KB, 423x409px
I recently re-watched A Few Good Men, and there's a scene where Demi Moore's character shows up to Tom Cruise's character's house, he shows her in, and then she invites him to dinner on a date. This made me think about how much life has changed since the introduction of cellular phones or phones in general (however wired telephones have been around since well before the sexual revolution, so let's ignore them for a moment).

I imagine that before all this reachability, if you wanted to invite someone out, going to where they live and doing so in person was seen as a viable option. Since you're there in person it would be more difficult for the other party to refuse and they would be more committed. Nowadays on the other hand, while cell phones have ostensibly made everyone more available, the cost of that availability is the ephemeral nature of the communication. Texts or IMs are easily brushed aside and the very culture encourages putting as little effort as possible into these messsages. Plans are responded to late, yet are easily flaked out on at the last minute just because women (I pick on them since they're the chief culprits) think that if they have the capability to inform you at the last minute that they're not coming they have the liberty to. Now, it could be that this scene was just introduced in the movie for dramatic effect because it would be awkward to watch a scene where Demi Moore and Tom Hanks talk on the phones, but I think it reflects a lost aspect of another age. What do you think?
>>
Seinfeld has a lot of scenes that would never work with cellphones.
>>
>>25535750

That made me think, there's another scene where they need to know where another lawyer character is, and it creates suspense as to whether he'd show up. If they could just text him it would have solved the problem.
>>
Don't worry. Soon virtual reality will be a widespread thing and social life will go back to normal. Normal, but set in a virtual world. Where you can look however you want, go wherever you want and talk to whoever you want, all with no threat of being beaten or killed.
>>
>>25535750
Early friends too.
>>
>>25535719
I agree, OP.
good reasoning on your part.

man, women flaking around like fuck and rejecting via text or phone isn't even remotely funny. I've experienced my fair share of bullshit in that regard.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.