[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Outside the Box Idea to improve fast boards

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

Let's admit 4chan has some problems.

- The faster the board, the worse it is. (/v/, /pol/, /b/, /vg/, for some examples)
-Censorship is bad.
-Banning users is bad.
-Attention whoring is bad.

Okay, so here's my outside the box idea.

CHANNELS.

When somebody visits a board, they get put into a random channel for the next couple hours, days, whatever, and their IP is logged so that they always go to the same channel until the next reset.

The faster the board, the more channels we'd have. We could experiment with tuning the numbers, a little bit. In my opinion, the ideal board speed is close to 30-40 seconds per post. /v/ has a post every .7 seconds. Therefore, /v/ could have 50-60 channels, and then everybody gets to post just as often as they want, Hiro would get all the ad revenue he wants from all the users he wants, and threads wouldn't 404 in 11 fucking minutes anymore.

Pic related. I chose the dumbest example possible for the sake of "comedy".
>>
>>423212
Could work. Doesn't piss me off to read. Therefore, there will be no discussion.

Nice idea OP. Too bad this isn't the suggestion box.
>>
What happens if you cross-link a thread?
>>
https://boards.4chan.org/qa/thread/422535's idea is beter
>>
>>423599

brainfart

>>422535
>>
>>423601
>>423599
This idea is kinda drastic and contrary to "Let users do what they like" though.

>>423586
You can definitely escape your channels by crosslinking and things like that, it's just which threads that are easy to discover would be split up.

Also sticky threads would be visible to everybody, and things like that.
>>
>>423608
>"Let users do what they like" though.

4chan has long been past that, this isn't pre-2009 anymore
>>
>>423212
Wouldn't this isolate people?
>>
>>423610
Yes, I agree, but I think that's due to 4chan not knowing how to properly scale up in size. Every large site has some means to currate and segment its information except for 4chan. 4chan went with a model of adding new boards for different subjects like /toy/ or /diy/ or /3/ or /soc/ to try to make homes for people to avoid all the riffraff or give the riffraff some place to go, in /soc/'s case, but all of these things result in this awful balkanization effect.

I think 4chan COULD maintain its "Raw" environment, without its "FAST" "Chatroom" problems that it has today.

I dunno. Maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way.

>>423614
"Yes but". It would prevent permanent communities from forming, destroy general threads, split tripfags up (you'd only run into a tripfag if the both of you rolled the same number on the same day. The next day you would not run into the same tripfag unless by sheer luck). Etc etc.

And then, at the same time, it wouldn't isolate us, because each individual channel would still have the same number of users on it. If there's ever a lull in activity, then that board would have fewer channels that day. I envision a dynamic system where all boards have the same numbers. You could crosslink to other threads to escape these channels, but it's just the front page of /b/, or /v/, or whatever, that is changed.

This would increase the total number of active threads considerably, but I consider space to be cheap in the modern day. Attaching a few extra hard drives to a server is easy.
>>
>>423618
I should note that I specifically do NOT want to make 60 different /b/s that people have the choice between which one they go to. I absolutely do not want people to balkanize further and decide "/b/ number 8 is the BEST /b/!" These features should be invisible. The intended effect is to slow down the FEEL of the board, without actually changing the behavior of the users.

And cross linking, offshore linking, and things like that should, again, stay exactly the same, so if some attention whoring tripfagging faggot wants to have a twitter account where he shows which threads he's posting in all the time, so be it.

Imagine just not having to deal with Barneyfag because Barneyfag has a difficult time finding every single time somebody breaks GR15. The only time you'd run into Barneyfag is if Barneyfag rolled the same number as you today. Imagine if you're a tripfag and you have somebody who stalks and hates you all day. You're free of them unless they go to great lengths to find you. Imagine you hate that Tripfag and don't have the self control to filter them? You'll only run into them once every two months or so!

4chan, fundamentally, is an Anonymous image board with the option of using a name. Having a reputation here is contrary to how this board's supposed to run, if you ask me. And people will still archive all the threads. People would write extensions to escape the channels, sure, but these users would be few and far between. The vast majority of vanilla 4chan users would hopefully see something wonderful.

This would definitely ruffle some feathers, as all changes do. This will likely enrage you at least once when now you have to deal with a troll thread existing for an entire day, rather than watching it 404 in a couple hours when people respond to the bait until it hits the bump limit, but I don't think that'll be so bad compared to today where EVERY THREAD is bait.
>>
>>423618
>You can escape channels
>It would prevent permanent communities from forming, destroy general threads, split tripfags up
It would do none of those. So if that's all your positives then the idea is shit from the get go.
>>
1. stifles discussion by arbitrarily limiting the amount of users one may interact with
2. would do nothing to reduce the amount of rule breaking or cancer, would just spread it across different "channels"
3. third party services, for example, the archives, would quickly determine a way to access every channel (I can already think of several practical ways to do so), making it ineffective at separating users.
4. keeping track of enough channels to slow the boards down to 40 posts per second would tremendously increase the amount of storage 4chan's service would need. For example, /b/'s post rate is 1 post every 0.17 seconds right now. To get 1 post every 40 seconds, you'd need about 235 channels. /b/ currently has 10 pages, 15 threads each, with 150 image replies to each thread allowed, and an image limit of 2MB. So, in order to ensure functionality, /b/ alone needs 45GB of data. That's doable. But, just the 235 channels for /b/ alone would up that storage to 10TB. The 50-60 channels you want for /v/? That's another 2.2-2.7TB. Doing it for every fast board is going to introduce significant, costly hardware requirements. Literally thousands of dollars in harddrive costs.
>>
>>423680
I figure it only takes one person to ruin a thread, and there's gonna be the same number of total users, so more threads means a lower percentage of ruined threads.
>>
>>423751
users can move onto other threads after "ruining" one.
>>
>>423212
Make /pol/ and /v/ 1 OP image only per thread like /news/
>>
>>423680
The space constraints are a serious practical reason this is an infeasible feature. Thank you for your thoughtful reply.

I would be happy to donate a TB of space to 4chan if 4chan did some sort of hardware donation drive, but I understand that such a donation drive would likely never happen. Moot chose not to in the past, and Hiro probably doesn't even know what the word Donation means in English.
>>
>>423212
Or you could do what Hiro and Kanrinrin-san (2chan's owner) did and have multiple iterations of a board. It's the same board, just clones of it to split up traffic to let threads last longer and also allow the places to diverge if the users so choose. 2chan has 3 /b/'s for example. A number of 2chan boards have their original iteration and then a "flipside" clone which is designed more for the memes and stupid shit, but can often develop its own flavor over time despite being about the same subject.

However when this is done sometimes basically everyone stays on the original and the clone is hardly used.. other times it becomes useful. So who knows how that would pan out on 4chan. If you did it to /v/ they'd say the new one is either east or west /v/ even if mods said it shouldn't forcibly be one. If you made a /pol/ clone you'd quickly have lefty/righty /pols/.
>>
>>423765
Or actually looking back, they have 4 /b/s. Out of those many of them are basically abandoned though so whatever.
>>
>>423212
Make a lot of bannable offenses on /v/
Specifically "ZOMG CONSORED!!!" threads getting spammed over a bikini being removed, or rec threads, or anything with tits (video games or otherwise) to get attention, anything that involved "pc master race"
Just these few things will improve the quality way up. IF the rules are followed (not including twitter screencaps since those are off-topic)

OR just ban phones, it's that easy
>>
Cool idea but I don't think it's even possible to implement. You're talking about a video game. When has that EVER been done on a website? Furthermore nobody on this site even knows how to code which is why boards are literally the only type of new feature we've gotten in years.
>>
>>424489
those ideas aren't outside the box.

>>424500
/r9k/.

Dice rolls on /tg/.

Fortunes.

/f/.

/i/.

4chan has added features before you loser. We could invent a new thing. Reddit managed to code together a site that works. Why can't 4chan?
>>
>>424500
it would be nearly trivial to program desu senpai
>>
>>424500
Things that have never been done before are impossible. Prove me wrong.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.