[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

There should be a more transparent and easily accessible place

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: ban.jpg (112KB, 1251x363px) Image search: [Google]
ban.jpg
112KB, 1251x363px
There should be a more transparent and easily accessible place to look at all the bans that janitors and mods enact, and if a certain threshold is passed of unique IPs flagging it as an abuse of their power, it's sent to hiro/a mod who actually gives the slightest shit to look over, and if they agree, the janitor or mod's privilege is suspended.
>>
>>411723

That's what the bans page is for. It should have all bans, though. Not some selected handful.

And while there should be accountability for what the mods and janitors do, just having shit get flagged would be easily abused from both sides.

Let's say it goes to a mod. What's to say he won't go "nope, no problems here, my buddy was just kidding around and these guys take it so seriously"? Or who's to say a bunch of pissed off shitposters won't be reporting a mod for ruining their "fun" by just reporting every single thing the mod does and wasting everyone's time?

Mods just need to be rotated out every so often. When you sit in some IRC echochamber where everyone's sucking up to you because you're a mod, you're less likely to think you did anything wrong. Or maybe you just get fucking tired of dealing with the community and see them more as adversaries and idiots than people you're meant to be serving and helping. As mods, they need to clean all of this shit up and be serious, so they don't often get time to just interact with the community at all and think of it as mods vs users, which isn't a healthy way to think about the site. They should see themselves as part of the community.

And while swaglord/invisibro is a huge faggot, I can see why he caters to /s4s/ because he probably doesn't have much time to be a part of any community aside from one that's just based on quick, idiotic jokes and shitposting for fun. Between real life and then having to do mod shit, it's probably a fuck of a lot easier.

But I think if they did some kind of mod rotation so you always had fresh users in who are actually part of the community coming in, and giving the guys who have been around for awhile a little break before coming back so they can see the current state of the community from a user's perspective, shit would be a little easier. It's just a matter of finding a way to implement such a thing that actually makes it worthwhile.
>>
>>411723
Every time I see one of these threads complaining about an unjust ban, I agree with the modmins who banned it, with the notable exception of ones from /tv/.

"Go away little shill" is SUCH a worthless post, OP. Holy shit.
>>
>>411727

And here's a part I couldn't fit in before. In relation to the mods and their time, you could say "why not just be part of the community and be like the rest of us?"

1. They're mods. They wouldn't see mod abuse since they've always got that little bit of power. Nobody's gonna ban them for shit.

2. If they DO care and take time to just post among the community, reports in the queue aren't cleared out as fast because one less mod is doing mod work and is talking to people. Then shitposting gets worse somewhere else and people then go and cry "MODS DON'T DO SHIT!" and if they are active "NAZI FUCKING MODS JESUS CHRIST".

The current mods just need a fucking break. Rotate some new ones in and get some users who were actually part of the community prior to this. Obviously vet them and screen them before giving them that much power, but rotate the older guys out and give them a break. They've become disconnected from us.

And maybe they should make /j/ and any other mod/admin boards where they talk about shit public and read only like some other sites do. Maybe if we saw what they were thinking about and understood their reasoning behind whatever policies they're taking, it'd get rid of the endless conspiracy theories. What are the mods doing? Thinking? We don't need to post there, but a little heads up would sure clear some things up. Sure, people would probably bitch about what's said there, but they already complain about mod action anyway. At least then we'd have some idea of what's going on and we could go "oh, this is why they're doing X" rather than every random theory under the sun coming up and nobody knowing a thing because it seems like the mods are simply AWOL and when they do appear, fucking with everybody and seemingly antagonistic.

Even moot said not communicating with the user base was a mistake. No other site has such an absent and uncommunicative administration team and it's because of that that 4chan is in such a bad state of affairs.
>>
>>411733

Another idea I think wouldn't be so bad that actually comes from an online game of Space Station 13: admin observers. If rotating moderators is too much of a hassle, you can have a rotating team of people with no power whatsoever who's job it is merely to observe things. Are the mods handling their power in a good way? Is this a good way to go about things for the users? How might the community act and how can we work this out in an easier way?

And given they'd be rotated out, there's no possible way an admin observer can do much damage, they have no power beyond just talking and seeing what the mods do and offering suggestions. I'm not sure if 4chan code can even handle something like an admin observer, but it wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing. If the mods and admins can't handle communicating with the community because they have stuff do to, a team of powerless admin observers could. That'd be their job. Being the middleman between the administration and community. They're just like normal users and don't have power, but they'd also be able to go "okay, guys, here's why the mods/admins did X." Or maybe answer questions or go "good idea, I'll bring it up to the mods and see what they say".
>>
OP, do you think you could make your point a little more concise?

And if you must make your point this long, would you please include a bibliography?
>>
>>411742
No, because I'm not the one doing it.
>>
>>411723
>giving the users any form of power outside of reporting and posting
People who suggest these things are stupid and don't seem to understand how stupid and bad of a idea this shit is
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.