[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can the mods please start issuing out warnings and bans to the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 4

File: 1361420145458.png (107KB, 1279x920px) Image search: [Google]
1361420145458.png
107KB, 1279x920px
Can the mods please start issuing out warnings and bans to the underage fuckers that are purposely not capitalizing their I's
>>
>>411600
I don't perceive them like that unless they punctuate their sentences. Which you didn't, fucker. Die.
>>
>>411600
I too imagine a black man in a suit with a monitor that's floating off the table, a keyboard with no period on it, and a fresh urine sample waiting to be drank.
>>
>>411600
as soon as they start banning retards for adding apostrophes to plural words
>>
>>411624
yo'uare retarded
>>
File: think-before-using-emoticons.png (61KB, 550x409px) Image search: [Google]
think-before-using-emoticons.png
61KB, 550x409px
>>411633
I did a search and found that the image is edited from this. The original also has copious terrible white-space on an uncentered title.
>>
>>411636
As somebody who works in a corporate setting, my fellow urine drinking business suit wearing hovering monitor using coworkers use emoticons quite often, and it infuriates me.
>>
>>411633
>importence
>>
File: fixed.png (254KB, 1279x1175px) Image search: [Google]
fixed.png
254KB, 1279x1175px
>>411640
Don't worry. I'll post a fixed version for you.
>>
>>411624
Is, As, Bs, Cs, and Ds are ambiguous. It's better to use A's, B's, C's, D's, and I's to differentiate them.
>>
>>411647
Taken from http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/25277/what-is-the-proper-way-to-write-the-plural-of-a-single-letter-another-apostrop

>The Chicago Manual of Style, one of the more widely used style guides in the United States, says:

>>Capital letters used as words, numerals used as nouns, and abbreviations usually form the plural by adding s. To aid comprehension, lowercase letters form the plural with an apostrophe and an s.

>So: Dikkens with two Ks, but mind your p's and q's. (And always CDs, unless you're talking about something the CD owns.)
-----
>Harbrace College Handbook 6th edition section 15d

>>Use the apostrophe and s to form the plural of letters, figures, symbols, and words referred to as words. Examples Congreve seldom crossed his t's, his 7's looked like 9's, and his and's were usually &'s. Note: This apostrophe is sometimes omitted when there is no danger of ambiguity: the 1930's, or the 1930s; two B's and three C's, or two Bs and three Cs.
------

In other words, it's up to debate, but so is literally everything so just pick a side and enjoy being an impotent pedant.
>>
>>411647
I always but apostrophes on both sides of the letter like this: 'A's.

It's not perfect, but I feel like it's unique enough to not affect any other rules, and it also makes 'A' look like some kind of screaming emoticon, which is nice.
>>
>>411652
put*

Sorry. I'm tired.
>>
>>411600
what an extremely specific and arbitrary complaint.
>>
>>411600

This isn't a research paper, anon.
>>
>>411600
English is a shit-tier bastard language that doesn't deserve the respect you give it.
>>
>>411636
This one is also true.
>>
>>411822
As somebody who speaks English as their third language (out of nine total) English has the highest skill ceiling of any non-constructed language. Sadly, it also has a very low skill floor meaning the riffraff often use it ineffectively. English is a gorgeous and expressive language that can be used in an abundance of beautiful ways if you have the skill to apply it. I do, nevertheless, agree that OP doesn't understand the language that they are "defending" with their image and have the utmost respect for you and your differing opinion.
>>
i really don't se the problem.
>>
>>411600
Alternatively, people who put their punctuation marks WITHIN the quotation marks. You know what I "mean," man?

This is as outdated as pressing the spacebar twice after every period. The only real reason people began to do this is because they didn't want the sensitive metal tongs on the ends of their typewriters to get damaged.

Is it logical? No.

Do we use typewriters? NO.

Unless you're doing an essay for your SAT's, or unless you're doing some sort of important research paper for your critical college professor, it's totally okay to put your punctuation outside of the "quotation marks", like this.

The Britbongs write with their punctuation marks outside of their quotation marks, and it's not like changing their writing convention blew up London. That was the fault of the "IRA".

TL;DR?
>"THIS".
>Is more preferable to "THIS."

Learn to keep up with the 21st century, assholes.
>>
>>411600
kalm yo tits gramma
>>
>>411961
Shut the fuck up. Punctuation inside quotes is kosher, you're just being a faggot.
>>
>>411961
If I'm ending my sentence with scare quotes, I put the punctuation outside of the "quotation marks". Conversely, if I'm writing dialogue, "I end my sentences with periods," said the man. "That is, unless of course the story arranges my quotation with a 'said the man,' inside of it."

Am I doing things right by you?
>>
>>411961
>SAT's

Definitely incorrect there, friend. SATs doesn't qualify for the plural single letter exception plural apostrophe exception. Never say "CD's" unless it's something the CD owns. "The CD's first track," is legal, whereas "I picked up one of the CD's on the shelf," is not.
>>
>>411600
>Hey guys, I could use your help
Not sure what image that invokes, but it's not the professional because it's missing the period. Maybe a high school senior.
>>
>>411961
I always put them inside. I will never change.
>>
>>411999
Oh, uh, sorry, anon. I'm actually talking about where to put the punctuation in relation to the quotation marks.

So, like, "this", (where I put the comma outside of the quotation mark), versus "this."
>>
>>412026
I'm not saying it's "bad", man. I'm just saying it's "illogical".

The British realized, a long time ago, that logic beats practicality, so they switched over from punctuation WITHIN the quotation marks, to punctuation OUTSIDE the quotation marks.
>>
>>412029
How the fuck is it "illogical," fucker? Besides, I like the way it feels.
>>
>>412037
"Because", man. When you're quoting someone or something, it's not like you're quoting their comma.

Seriously. "Something like this", makes far more sense than "something like this."

You're putting an accent on the WORDS, not on which dot comes after said words.
>>
>>412041

Am I the only one that thinks the kerning looks horrendous irregardless of whether the punctuation is inside or out. We should have them in the same vertical "line"̣
>>
>>412027
>>412029
>>412037
>>412041
>>412049
Jeez, I just don't know which side to be on!

Oh wait I don't give a fuck about somebody's improper grammar and punctuation on 4chan it's a fucking website not a college essay
>>
>>412060
It's not about it being a college essay, it's about talking and typing like a functional fucking adult, not a 12 year old shitposting facebook kiddie
>>
>>412060
>>412071
And yet both of you retards left off punctuation at the end of your sentences. Just die.
>>
>>411645
We need more anons like you.
>>
Lately I've been seeing non-capitalisers making thoughtful posts and acting grown up and capitalisers making low quality posts and showing their underage
>>
I just assume capshitters are phoneposters nowadays, which are infinitely more cancerous
>>
>>412071
maybe you could just open your mind to new possibilities instead of trying so desperately to impose your will on others
>>
>>412060
Idiot-boy.

>>411998
Smart as fuck.

>>412049
God damn it, Gump! You're a god damn genius! This is the most outstanding answer I have ever heard. You must have a goddamn I.Q. of 160. You are goddamn gifted, Private Gump.
>>
>>412060
No, man. I'm saying that if it IS a college essay, go with convention and do what you're told to do, even if it's highly illogical and outdated.

But if you're typing out a response on "4chan", or "9gag", or "funnyjunk", or "Ebaum's World", then it's totally okay to write however you want.

I'm just making my point because people will judge you outside of class, for writing a certain way, even if said "certain way" is mentally retarded.
>>
i am doing this now

suck it fags
>>
>>412049
This is fucking beautiful. Please teach me how to do this. I'm going to do this from now on.
>>
>>411638
Let me guess-- They're all in their mid-40's and just bought their first smartphone about a month ago?

It's so weird that some adults will use these emoticons just as often as their kids. Whatever makes them happy, I suppose.
>>
>>412564
GenX invented emoticons. They're older than you think.
>>
>>412459
Maybe you could open your mind and realize that you look like underb8 typing like that, retard.
>>
You are one autistic fucker
>>
>>414215
Normie plz
>>
>>412568
First emoticon appears in the text of one of Abraham Lincoln's speeches.
But yeah, the emoticon as we know it was invented by GenX, as was anything of any cultural worth.
>>
>>414748
The declaration of independance has a drawing of a dick on it.
>>
relax son
>>
File: cropped-anarchy.jpg (8KB, 480x250px) Image search: [Google]
cropped-anarchy.jpg
8KB, 480x250px
>>412557
rock on
>>
>>411600
>purposely not capitalizing their I's
So are you saying these people type out the post with it being capitalized, then think "Wait a second, let's remove the capitalization"? Why does it matter to you? If it actually somehow stopped you or other users from understanding the post, then sure, that would fall under Rule 3 because it's indecipherable trash.

Observe:

i am op and i am a huge faggot
I am OP, and I am a huge faggot.

In both sentences, you were entirely capable of interpreting the content of my post. In both sentences, you became aware that the person creating the post is OP, and that this person is homosexual. Your complaint is essentially pointless. Punctuation is a bigger barrier to the correct interpretation of a post anyway, but I wouldn't be mad about that either; as long as the post can be interpreted then it's fine.
>>
>>416848
>So are you saying these people type out the post with it being capitalized, then think "Wait a second, let's remove the capitalization"?

Clearly
>>
>>416848
I remember when I was around 11 I found a website about "hacker culture" which today is called the jargon file, and it explained how nobody will take you seriously if you don't type properly. The explanation they gave was if you don't respect the people you're talking to enough to type properly then you can't expect them to respect you enough to respond.

I only bring it up because since I saw this written out explicitly it's something I was always consciously aware of whether I was using IRC, a forum, a game, or whatever I was doing online, and I noticed that it actually always rang true.

This isn't some autistic pet peeve of OP, it's actually how things have always been done online clearly going back to way before I ever used the internet even.

I always liked the idea that younger generations of internet users learn things like this from the older generations, but in the last decade or so there's apparently a huge disconnect there as most people are introduced to the internet through social media and learn their habbits from similar users.
Let's not allow 4chan to be the same way.
>>
i'm 31 and i don't capitalize my i's because i'm so old i don't give a shit anymore

once you go through your proper grammar phase followed by your allcaps all the time phase you suddenly don't care anymore
>>
>>418827
I don't know about other punctuation, but capitalizing your I's should be something so naturally engrained in your brain that it would actually take conscious effort for you to not do it.

Unless you spent most of your internet years typing with 2 fingers or some shit.
>>
worrying about grammar seems more like a reddit thing
>>
>>418842
Grammar isn't the same thing as capitalization, spelling, and punctuation.
>>
>>418827
I'm 8 years younger than you and I am on the verge of this phase
>>
ioi
>>
>>418843
I forget what those are called. Is it syntax?
>>
>>411600
people like me may be a net detriment to board quality but seriously fuck people who don't capitalize I, almost every post is either some condescending disinfo or attached to a frog
>>
>>411624
I thought those were just Germanic people doing that.
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.