[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hiro is making so many new boards, but I don't really think

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 7

File: 1437114666069.png (445KB, 807x700px) Image search: [Google]
1437114666069.png
445KB, 807x700px
Hiro is making so many new boards, but I don't really think we need a board for everyone's college major. In fact, we could really cut down the overall number of boards to make moderation work easier (and theoretically make 4chan better moderated).

So what boards do you think are redundant and/or irrelevant? I don't mean boards you want removed because you dislike them, I mean boards that aren't actually serving any function that another board couldn't serve just as well.
>>
>>401888
>So what boards do you think are redundant and/or irrelevant?
Every board created after 2004.

>I don't mean boards you want removed because you dislike them, I mean boards that aren't actually serving any function that another board couldn't serve just as well.
There are thousands of websites which better serve the discussion of these interests. 4chan was created for a particular area of discussion and that is where it should have stayed. It wasn't meant to be an inclusive place for anyone with an internet connection to discuss their particular interest. That's what Reddit is for.

Consider the following: kill yourself.
>>
>>401888
>So what boards do you think are redundant and/or irrelevant?
All of them, 4chan is deprecated ever since moot sold it to a criminal.
>>
>>401895
Why did you tell me to kill myself after agreeing with my post?
>>
/his/ and /news/ were both terrible ideas. Everybody (except /pol/) was against a /his/ board because it would undoubtedly turn into /pol/ with dates. Of course, that's exactly what happened, and the moderators basically don't give a shit.

I have no idea about all the niche art and anime boards, so I really can't comment on that situation.

/r9k/ is really just /b/ 2.0, albeit with a /pol/ spin. I don't see any point in its continued existence. And it's not like anyone respects the ROBOT filter. I seldom see anyone banned for bypassing it.

To hell with /v/ and /pol/. There's no sense in focusing 90% of moderation efforts on trying to keep those two boards under control, which is impossible given the sheer volume of shitposting that goes on there. Just nuke them and be done with it.

/wsr/ is utterly pointless because 1.) Nobody ever reads stickies, so requests are going to be posted outside of /wsr/ regardless of the rules, and 2.) It's doubtful that helpful individuals from all walks of life have nothing better to do than lurk /wsr/ on the off-chance that they can help another anon with their incredibly specific request.

I don't think Hiro is giving these new boards any serious consideration before he rushes out to create them.
>>
>>401914
I agree. It seems like Hiro is trying to become popular by showing initiative. The initiative is nice, sure, but I wish he had more guidance from the people working with him.

/his/ is worthless, we all knew it would be. /lit/ is too. Both are just people circlejerking about their university course work and namedropping DWMs.

/r9k/ was originally supposed to be a place where original content is encouraged, but moot didn't have the foresight to make the comment field optional. So instead of being a place for people to make original images it's just a place for people to whine about their lives.

I think /v/ and /pol/ are fine, they're high-traffic boards and the people in them enjoy them. It's probably easy to moderate them because moderators are volunteers and those are two of the boards that your average anon would prefer to moderate (since it's more likely one that they lurk). I'd think having janitors helps this too.

I agree about /wsr/. Everything you mentioned was always true about /r/ also.
>>
4chan, if you ask me, should have /b/ and then boards for topics that the majority of /b/ finds unwelcome. /co/ and /a/ and the like would stay, but /loli/ or /guro/ or /furry/ would get their own boards because the majority of users want them to leave. Any subject that has its own board would then be unwelcome on /b/.

I think 4chan has allowed its echo chambers to get much too small, and its site to get much too large.
>>
>>401946
Uhh, who gives a fuck about what /b/ finds unwelcome? It's a fucking dumping ground for newfags and idiots.
>>
>>402010
See your attitude right there? That's the problem. You shouldn't get to feel superior to anybody else on 4chan. You should learn to fit in. You put spikes on the outside of your hugbox and think that makes you cool.
>>
>>401888
I majored in anime
>>
You damn weeaboos, how about deleting some of your irrelevant boards?

delete /w/ - move over to /wg
delete /cm/ - move to /c
delete /vp/ - move to /v
delete /po/ - move to /diy
>>
File: 1441242776085.jpg (29KB, 487x500px) Image search: [Google]
1441242776085.jpg
29KB, 487x500px
>>402016
>weeaboos
>>
>>402013
There's a lot wrong with your post, but this quote in particular is something worth correcting
>You put spikes on the outside of your hugbox

Why do so many people today seem to think that anyone who doesn't want to roll around in a pile of shit all day wants a hugbox?

If you're just minding your own business or talking about a hobby with your friends, and I burst in and start screaming some inane political shit that you don't care about, can I accuse you of being a hugbox baby because you just don't want to fucking put up with me?

Wanting a hugbox means wanting to be only around people who will reinforce any opinion you throw out.
That's totally different from just not wanting to engage in a particular discussion because you just don't fucking care.

TL;DR wanting a site with a theme, or for the purpose of casual/relaxing conversation, is not the same as wanting a hugbox
>>
>>402039
Hugbox and Circlejerk just mean "People liking things that I don't and getting along."
>>
>>402039
>Why do so many people today seem to think that anyone who doesn't want to roll around in a pile of shit all day wants a hugbox?

Because the way you word things doesn't matter. "Not wanting to roll around in a pile of shit all day" means "Not having to deal with things I don't like." That's a hugox.
>>
I think we could definitely merge a few boards.

Possible suggestions for mergers:
>/po/ and either /toy/ or /diy/
>/f/ and either /gif/ or /wsg/, call it something like animated whatevers
>/an/ and /out/
>absorb /3/ its functions into /gd/, /diy/ and /ic/
>/o/ and /n/

things that are possible, but less likely to work:
>/c/ and /cm/
>/trv/ and /int/
>/e/ and /h/ into a board with a much larger thread amount and number of bumps than usual, absorb /aco/ into that and /d/
>/t/ and /hr/ into something like "large files"
>/his/ and /sci/ into something like "academics"
>absorb /biz/ into /adv/, /news/ and above "academics" board
>>
>>402046
They also imply a certain level of toxicity.

Feminists, conspiracy theorists, or Berniefags blindly believe statistics or certain narratives and don't want them challenged. It's similar to indoctrination.

4chan is also guilty of circlejerks. The difference is that anyone can visit this site, so our beliefs are often challenged by outsiders. The only thing anons can do is tell you to go back to reddit.
>>
>>401888
none of them. In fact I think we still need 10 or 15 more new boards. Furthermore, the people that make threads like this are afraid of change and there is never a legitimate reason to delete any board (except april fool's jokes like /yg/ and /fur/).
>>
>>402063
Toxicity is just "stuff I don't like"
>>
>>402067
It's healthier to expose yourself to different ideas and beliefs than to be blind to reality.
>>
>>402070
I agree. As such, hugboxes are to be avoided. I'm advocating that you "Roll around in shit all day."
>>
>>402065
I'm not sure. I think that having lots of boards, not always, but sometimes leads to extremely slow boards (I'm not entirely sure how slow boards like /biz/, /sci/, /n/, /trv/, or /po/ are, but I'm pretty sure at least two of them are like super-slow), and in other cases, can lead to damaging both old boards and the new boards (see: the great /d/ and /aco/ debacle).
>>
>>402074
There is nothing wrong with a slow board. They don't take bandwidth and don't require much moderation.

I think the only problem with making new boards is that people don't want boards being made based on topics they don't personally like.
>>
>>402077
Hiro's personal space shuttle board when?
>>
/asp/. It literally serves no purpose but to stop a few buttblasted autists from bitching about mandrama on /sp/ and harbor those who are so plebbish they got laughed out of the room at /wooo/.
>>
>>402082
Honestly, wrestling should be on /tv/.
>>
>>402085
It might work as a general or something, but I can't imagine the /tv/ people would be happy with sharing more than a few threads with the wrestling fans.
>>
>>402085
Works just as well for me, really - I don't discuss wrestling on 4chan, so I have little involvement in it, except for noticing that /asp/ is a useless waste of server space that could be used for better stuff.
>>
>>402088
We should add a /soap/ board for Wrestling and Soap Operas.
>>
>>402082
That's funny, I could say the same about /e/ and /h/ and /u/ and /d/, or /vr/ and /v/ and /vg/, or /pol/ and /news/.
>>
>>402085
It's kind of a questionable topic, since it is heavily choreographed drama bullshit, but the people doing it actually have to be really in shape and athletically capable. Being able to pick up other men and throw them around repeatedly without crippling or killing each other isn't something you can just do. Especially if you make it look convincingly real.
>>
>>402092
You have to be in shape to star in the movie 300 but that's still on /tv/.
>>
>>402090
We could just call it /dr/ or something for "drama" and lump in live theatre and reality TV with it.
>>
File: 1248195215980.jpg (59KB, 227x276px) Image search: [Google]
1248195215980.jpg
59KB, 227x276px
>>402085
>>402082
I really wish one of you would go to >>>/tv/ and tell them that just so I could watch the hilarity ensue before the /tv/ mods delete the thread.
>>
>>402096
I prefer to discuss these things on /qa/ similarly to how I don't want any women at my abortion debates.
>>
>>402093
300 wasn't in front of a live audience with real-time tv broadcasting, which means all sorts of special effects, greenscreening, and cranes could be used.
Wrestling is basically dramatized, homoerotic gymnastics.
>>
>>402099
You sure have a lot of respect for something you don't like or watch.
>>
>>402100
It's fairly impressive physically, if nothing else.
>>
>>402105
So is having the chest the lead actor in 300 has.
>>
>>402106
Sure, and I bet that guy could do some impressive throws and flips and whatever if he practiced. He could even do it without actually sending someone to the hospital or ending up there himself if he learned good choreography along.
>>
>>402108
You and I clearly have a different definition of "physically impressive."
>>
>>402109
Probably. I meant more in the sense of what they do, not how they look.
>>
>>402111
Okay, I meant "Impressive" with respect to "The Physical Plain" and you meant "Is a wrestler."
>>
>>402113
Not just wrestlers. Like I said earlier, it's in the same category as gymnastics to me. Being able to actually do stuff like that is impressive. Most people cannot do it, or at least not without serious injury to themselves or others. Choreographed, yes, but still athletic.
>>
>>402056
>"Not having to deal with things I don't like." That's a hugox.
No it isn't.

By your logic TV is a hugbox because it doesn't force you to watch channels you don't want to. Your internet browser is a hugbox because it doesn't force you to go to websites you don't want to use.
That's dumb.
>>
>>402119
Everything is a hugbox. Some things are more hugboxes than others. "TV" as a concept is less of a hugbox than a particular channel of TV, which is more of a hugbox than your youtube subscriptions feed, which is more of a hugbox than a single video you like, which is more of a hugbox than that same video on a site without comments enabled.
>>
>>402128
It must be hell to be inside your head
>>
>>402129
Quality is relative. Your opinion isn't any more or less valid than anyone else. I can respect your opinion that "Hugbox is only a hugbox if I say it is" but I can't adopt that opinion myself. You simply can't accurately assess the world, period. You must always doubt your own biases or you'll become just like people you dislike when they do it to you.
>>
>>402134
I don't even know what the hell you're talking about anymore
>"Hugbox is only a hugbox if I say it is"

I didn't say something just because you say I did.
>>
>>402137
Try to define a hugbox without using any qualitative opinion based statements.
>>
>>402138
It's brown, about 1/4 meter long, and wood paneled.

You put hugs in it.
>>
>>402138
I already did, and it's way simpler of a definition than the crap you're using
>Wanting a hugbox means wanting to be only around people who will reinforce any opinion you throw out.

e.g. a hugbox is a place where everyone agrees with you.

Now, just because you're in an environment where people disagree with you doesn't mean it's a hugbox if they aren't throwing it in your face every second of the day.
You can disagree on topic X and be using a website that is meant for topic Y. Not allowing people to talk about topic X doesn't make the site a hugbox.
You don't have to literally allow fucking everything to avoid being a hugbox, that's my point, and it's not a matter of being triggered or being open minded, it's just a matter of wanting a functional site for topic Y without pointlessly having everything be derailed into topic X all the time.

But a lot of people on 4chan seem to think if we don't allow pictures of people taking baths in a fountain of human feces on /a/ then it means were a hugbox. It's retarded.
>>
>>402149
>Now, just because you're in an environment where people disagree with you doesn't mean it's a hugbox if they aren't throwing it in your face every second of the day.
Exactly how often can people "throw it in your face" before it becomes a hugbox? Could it be every other second of the day? Please define a goalpost. So far this sounds like "I know it when I see it."
>>
>>402158
Actually I should have said at all.

Just because people can't throw their disagreement they have with you about topic X in your face _at all_ doesn't make it a hugbox.

You can still disagree on topic Y. The site just isn't about topic X.
>>
>>402160
I'm satisfied with this answer.

I have a little bit of trepidation with respect to how this thoughtform interacts with "Off Topic" and/or "Random" discussion boards that typically allow you to talk about "Anything" disallowing discussion about anything at all, but I concede that there are definitely website that don't have "Everything" as a discussion topic and those websites are not hugbox, nor are they "More of a hugbox" than websites with "Open to all" discussion.

Thank you for clearing that up for me, Anon. I'm going to adopt your definition.
>>
>>401914
I'm almost of the mind that they should kill both /wsr/ and /r/ altogether and instead introduce a /wsb/ to catch worksafe requests and other random ephemera unsuitable for regular /b/, and adding 10 or 20 pages to both of those boards so niche threads have a fighting chance.
>>
We need less boards with broader topics, not more boards with specific topics. Keep it simple.
>>
>>402171
Fewer.
>>
>>402171
That isn't simple at all, it's an ungovernable free-for-all that scrolls off page 10 every 5 minutes.

You do understand that more than a few boards are overcrowded right now as it is, right?
>>
>>402182
Then allow more pages.
>>
>>401932
>I think /v/ and /pol/ are fine, they're high-traffic boards and the people in them enjoy them. It's probably easy to moderate them because moderators are volunteers and those are two of the boards that your average anon would prefer to moderate (since it's more likely one that they lurk). I'd think having janitors helps this too.
I'd say /pol/ is alright because there's humor and discussion to be found to a certain degree whether it be moderated or not. /v/ is quite literally /s4s/ with a video game aesthetic.
>>
>>401888
/a/. 4chan has outgrown anime and weebshit in general
>>
>>402193
[citation needed]
>>
>>401888
>As a weeb all my needs are met and everyone else can go to hell
The site's not built around your little world.
>>
>>402065
>Furthermore, the people that make threads like this are afraid of change
There is no need for change. 4chan is a site made for being japanese centric and niche nerdy hobbies and that's how it should stay. It's not 'being afraid of change', its wanting the site to stay with the theme and if anything fucking revert. Rather then 'people afraid of change', it's 'outsiders wanting something to change and cater to them instead'.
>>
>>402317
>There is no need for change.
Wrong, see >>402182
>>
File: 1450124464880.png (186KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
1450124464880.png
186KB, 350x350px
>>402317
>4chan is a site made for being japanese centric and niche nerdy hobbies and that's how it should stay
Wow people like you really do exist. I thought it was just a bad stereotype about /a/.
>>
>>402323
The only boards that are uncontrollable free-for-alls are /v/ and /b/. There is nothing wrong with the thread system. I bet you think there is nothing wrong with generals either. People ran with that shit for years without any problems and in actual fact loved it. What we need to do is remove the native extension and hide the catalog or set it to require a 3rd party add-on to use

There isn't overcrowded boards, there is boards filled with people incapable of ignoring bait and topics and things they don't fucking like. You are equating shitposting with overcrowdness
>>
>>402333
>The only boards that are uncontrollable free-for-alls are /v/ and /b/.
I seriously doubt you ever go to either of those boards, much less are qualified to make that statement. It is much more likely that you hardly ever leave your legacy weeb containment board to come here based on your abrasive attitude toward the non-weeb boards and apparent lack of knowledge about the 4chan userbase.

inb4 you tell me i didn't use the word 'weeb' correctly
>>
File: 4chan post speeds.png (155KB, 240x1904px) Image search: [Google]
4chan post speeds.png
155KB, 240x1904px
>>402339
The only boards with posting speeds in the uncontrollable territory are /b/ and /v/, anon. Fuck, even then, the mods showed they can nazi mod /v/ and /pol/ together and remove all gg discussion with quite a bit of ease 2 years ago. There has never been a problem with the fact the site is a free-for-all and has always been apart of the site culture and something that makes it unique. What there is a problem with is the fact the website is too fast and the users are fucking stupid. You are blaming a site feature for the user stupidity, and as such trying to remove it for no reason. There wouldn't be any problems if the users would stop replying to fucking obvious bait, fishposting and just ignore topics they don't like. The only thing that needs to be changed in this regard is the native extension needs to be removed and the catalog hidden
>>
>>402340
I'm not blaming anything. I don't have anything to blame in thi respect because my home board is not one of the 'too fast' ones. Hiro is making the new boards that have been needed for years.You are complaining about all the new boards and I'm laughing at your absurd assumptions about how 4chan should be run while challenging some of the more ridiculous claims.

Ultimately your argument seems to come down to "mods should start deleting what I don't like 10x as much as they do now on fast boards" along with "let's delete every non-anime related board and recreate 2004 4chan out of the ashes".
>>
>>402341
I never asked for the bottom two, you stupid fucking monkey. Learn to differentiate between posting styles.

The website theme is Japan, anime/manga and nerdy hobbies. New boards should only be made if they pertain to that. There is no need to abandon the site theme to make the site more inclusive because of a bunch of upset outsiders
>>
>>402346
>The website theme is Japan, anime/manga and nerdy hobbies.
Look at the most popular boards, and the declining rank of /a/ among the top ten boards over the past few years. A lot of good the "theme" does. Themes are ephemeral.

The "bunch of upset outsiders" got here 10 years ago, now outnumber the original inhabitants by many factors, and they aren't leaving no matter how much you want them to.

I feel pity for you that you just now seem to be coming to grips with this fact.
>>
>all these upset /a/utists ITT

Lmao
>>
>>401888
What about this idea, we make entire new site for raging weeaboos and 4chan doesn't change as it is
>>
>>401888
Ah man, I've been scrolling past this thread thinking the picture was cute and then I just looked at the post accompanying it and it's shit. I wish idiots didn't use good images.
>>
>>402193
I'd argue that /v/ is actually /pol/ with a video game aesthetic.
>>
>>402659
I'd argue that boards like /d/, /h/, /e/, et al. are actually /b/ with a cartoon aesthetic, /j/ is /int/ with a japan aesthetic, and /a/ belongs on /tv/ because it's a /tv/ show. The only things making this "an anime site" stopped being a relevant factor ~2005 and nowadays exists only in the minds of the average /a/utist. 9/10th of the rest of the userbase does not agree.
>>
File: 1445801551873.jpg (23KB, 720x553px) Image search: [Google]
1445801551873.jpg
23KB, 720x553px
>>402707
>d
>>
/e/, /y/, /u/, and /h/ should probably be merged, /c/ and /cm/ as well. /jp/ and /a/, /n/ and /o/. /po/, /cgl/, and /diy/ could be merged as well.
>>
File: 1434497186709.jpg (18KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1434497186709.jpg
18KB, 600x600px
>>403816
>/e/, /y/, /u/, and /h/ should probably be merged
>/c/ and /cm/
>/jp/ and /a/
Thread posts: 81
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.