[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Say one of these was hypothetically being built 5 miles down

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 216
Thread images: 23

File: 05_Russia_30[1].jpg (2MB, 2144x1424px) Image search: [Google]
05_Russia_30[1].jpg
2MB, 2144x1424px
Say one of these was hypothetically being built 5 miles down the road from you.

The government had already laid out the plans and there was nothing you could do about it.

How would you feel about this?
>>
sweet, I'll apply for a job there
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUrhcwm34Uk
>>
It's a nuclear power station btw.
>>
>>59976689
I'm actually majoring in theoretical nuclear physics, so I'll probably look into some job opportunities if I don't get right into grad school.
>>
>>59976689
Apply for work because that's my field
>>
>>59976932
no shit
>>
>>59976944
Better off studying chem.E or mech.E if you want a job at a power station.

You won't learn practical skills doing theoretical anything.
>>
>>59976689

I'd ask if there was any way I could get a job there.
>>
>>59976739
this
>>
>>59976689
depends on location. prone to earthquakes, safe inland? safe of.. snoskred? ;)

It would be depending on what ctry also. Nuclear is safe, hyped dangerous by mms and idiots putting these in tsunami prone & earth quake areas...

I'd had no prob, but the property price would. We have water turbines here enough, and more to take off. But given the load coming from all the electric cars etc.

also we got the uranium, undercover we gave iran 60 tonnes of regular uranium while everyone was busy xmassing.
>>
>>59976994
kek
>>
>>59976995
I have already had internships at nuclear plants, and didn't need any practical skills.
>>
>>59976739
/thread
>>
If id get a 33℅ discount i wouldnt move
>>
Would be quite pleased. Best form of energy production available.
>>
>>59976689
Right now I own, not rent so that's absolutely perfect. Property values will drop because liberals don't understand how nuclear energy works and I can get a cheap house in a nice area.
>>
Sounds fine to me.
>>
File: cameron-with-pig.jpg (496KB, 990x604px) Image search: [Google]
cameron-with-pig.jpg
496KB, 990x604px
>>59976689
and now I watched the flag... Sellafield ...
>>
>>59977153
>Right now I own, not ren
got that backwards - I rent, not own.

Derp
>>
>>59977110
You'll need more skills than what you're learning at uni.

Hope your grades are good, if you don't get into grade school you;re fucked.
>>
5 miles is a pretty long way. The smoke isn't like most industrial pollution. I'll get more dangerous smoke from faggot smokers anyway.
>>
A new nuclear power station would be super exciting. I'd be hype but probably sad that they won't give tours.
>>
>>59976689
I would move at least 100 miles from it.
>>
Really confused because that would put it in the middle of my city, and there's already a nuclear power plant 50 miles outside of town.
>>
No problem since nuclear plants don't pollute
>>
>>59976994
Well no actually.

Two cooling towers and some buildings could be many things.
>>
>>59976689
I already have one 20 miles away from me. Doesn't bother me in the least
>>
>>59976689

i live in washington east side, where we built the nukes in ww2, shit is STILL polluted as fuck, the columbia STILL has high amounts of radioactive material in it.

basically i can sum up nuclear energy really quick

>nuclear energy, its the cleanest energy ever! Until something bad happens, and when it does, fucking watch out
>>
>>59977229
What are you trying to get to? Sounds like you are just spewing random shit just have a conflict.
>>
5 miles? Fine with me. No natural weather or tectonic disasters occur where I own my home, and it's the safest most efficient way to produce electricity. Would create jobs and booty fluster libcucks, what's not to love?
>>
Glad, nuke power is great for our state.

t. connecticuck
>>
Sell my house to isis
>>
My area would probably be good for one. No risk of earth quakes or other natural disasters, but we do sit on top of a huge aquifer so if it might pollute that I'd strongly oppose it.

Other than that, pretty much this >>59976739
>>
File: 1444964618187.jpg (24KB, 428x487px) Image search: [Google]
1444964618187.jpg
24KB, 428x487px
>>59976689

I call Safety Inspector
>>
>>59977371
Fuckin wind turbines have been responsible for more deaths than nuclear power plants. Your radiation issues are irrelevant, manufacturing nuclear weapons isn't the same as what's going on in a facility of this kind.
>>
>>59976689
>How would you feel about this?
I'd wonder in what kind of surreal, alternate dimension I was transported where our cuckvernment would actually do something like this.
Then I would probably celebrate.
>>
I live about 5 miles from one (if you make a straight line from my house to the power plant) about 15 miles by roads because it goes over a body of water to Hutchinson island off the Florida coast. No complains. Lived here my entire life. Energy bills are cheaper than most areas
>>
>>59977235
>The smoke
It's not smoke at all.
>>
I'll trade you my coal fired plant for a nuke any day.

Coal fired plants are really dirty and leave the area surrounding covered in soot.
>>
File: grand-escalier-lrg.jpg (61KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
grand-escalier-lrg.jpg
61KB, 600x600px
>>59976689

Wonder why the fuck Hydro Quebec has decided to build a Nuclear Power Plant when they just closed the last one they had because they are money pits compared to the money prints that are dams here.
>>
I live about 20 miles from one, it's pretty cool.
>>
Absolutely fine.

It's the safest way to produce electricity, by several orders of magnitude

>inb4 muh radiation

Coal power plants have released more radiation.

>inb4 muh chernobyl

Horribly designed first gen reactor built, maintained, and operated by the soviets. It was not a failure of nuclear power, it was a failure of training.

>inb4 muh Fukushima

Fun Fact: the plant would have been torn down and rebuilt as a more modern, safer design years before the accident, but the project was constantly blocked by retarded anti-nuke nutters.

If the new design had been in place, no failures would have occurred after the earthquake and subsequent tsunami.

The failure of the Fukushima plant was caused by the same people who were saying nuclear power was dangerous. It's actually pretty hilarious, in a really dark way.

Of course, the MSM quietly swept that part of the story under the rug, because it doesn't fit the narrative.
>>
>>59977561

no shit, nuclear energy is really really safe i swear! Its not a quick attempt at quick cheap energy with the cost of destroying our earth. nothing EVER bad happens,

nuclear waste is SOOO easy and SOOO cheap to clean up man

:^)
>>
>cheap electricity

finally
>>
Literally live in OP's exact scenario near a little place yall might have heard of called 3-mile island.

Don't give a fuck. Electricity is cheap as fuck and the silos make cool clouds
>>
>>59977716

>its clean i swear!!!!1!
>doesnt even mention the cost of clean up of nuclear waste

no shit its so safe and cheap :^)
>>
>>59976689
Awesome. I work at one of those and I'd love to shorten my commute.
>>
File: CUfMejVUcAAGs2Y.jpg-thumb.jpg (10KB, 150x150px) Image search: [Google]
CUfMejVUcAAGs2Y.jpg-thumb.jpg
10KB, 150x150px
>>59976739
>sweet, I'll apply for a job there
kek, cause donuts?

nah we only got two research reactors here burgerbro, no donuts there. anon lived by both actually.. If rumors are true, we were first to get this tech from you. So we could ie make the whole Fukushima HMI and homersystem control room+++ ouch... sorry Japan..

not to mention spreading nuclear tech to non allies such as Brazil.. "civilian nuclear uboat"
Both from the same department, other guys are pissed off(hillbillies are responsible)

this ctry has gone severely to shit, you guys have no idea.. in a snap it's so much corruption
>>
>>59976739
This. I have the education for it and I live nearby. Win win.

Nuclear is safe and clean.
>>
>>59977716
>talks about narratives
>fails to mention that not one reactor in the history of the planet has ever or can operate for one month without subsidy

Or go ahead and prove me wrong, show us the operating reactor that has paid for it's own construction and operation.
>>
>>59976689
That would be nuke plant #2 in the area so I don't care. Fun fact: Nuclear power plants put out only a fraction of the radiation that coal plants do.
>>
what do those huge funnels do?
>>
>>59977644
Damn, I was just on Hutchinson Island for Christmas with my parents who are spending the winter there.
>>
>>59977819
There's hardly any waste in modern nuclear reactors ;-)
>>
>>59977860
What's your education?
>>
>>59977944
Cooling towers, they're emitting steam.
>>
>>59976689
I'd shrug and wonder how they managed to slap one on the arkansas river in the middle of the city.
>>
It wouldn't concern me. I've visited nuclear power plants before. They are extremely safe (and clean). The only real issue is the radioactive waste.
>>
>>59977371
Are you talking about the Hanford nuclear reservation? That wasn't a nuclear power plant.

Otherwise, yes, you're right. Nuclear power plants built before we even put man on the moon are generally dated and if they're seriously still in service, need to be decommissioned. As long as you can account for natural disasters as a factor, there's no reason to not build a modern design.
>>
>>59977716
>If the new design had been in place,
It even didn't need new design. All they needed to do was waterproof back-up generator room. But things are always done by lowest bidder you know.
>>
I would be very mad. I'd try to sell my house before the land value crashes too much. No way I'm living near one of them. Judging by this thread, there are plenty of gullible cucks ready to move in, so I might still get a good deal.
>>
File: asy.jpg (147KB, 738x591px) Image search: [Google]
asy.jpg
147KB, 738x591px
>implying I don't live near a NPP already

I only feeld sad because it will be inactive within 10 years and there aren't any new ones planned because of leftists and ignorants.
>>
>>59976689
I live 2 miles from the nearest nuclear power plant.

It'd be further away and redundant.
>>
File: 1405394348846.jpg (14KB, 336x340px) Image search: [Google]
1405394348846.jpg
14KB, 336x340px
>>59977893
>hasn't means couldn't
>>
>>59977994

>takes millions of years for the waste to decay properly
>is hazardous to literally all life

safe and clean

>>
File: tower-2-600x400.jpg (239KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
tower-2-600x400.jpg
239KB, 600x400px
>>59978047

And ONLY steam. We have cooling towers on our coal fired plants, and the chemical plants / refineries have cooling towers on their reactors.
>>
>>59977719
>>59977819
>>59978257
>I like to talk about things I have 0 (zero) knowledge of beyond what the mass media told me
>I also like to post ebin meme faces because they validate my shitposting

>>59977893
You mean just like 99% of all power stations. Electricity plants are always subsidised by tax money.
>>
I'd apply for a job there.
>>
>>59976689
I'd be like whatever, who gives a fuck

There's so much uranium and irradiated stuff here from when USA bombed us, a nuclear power plant wouldn't change anything

Besides, we live next to a nuclear state, Croatia.
They bought their AKs from Ukraine from Chernobyl, they just need to put them in Sava and let it float towards us, poor mans nuke.
>>
>>59978320

>waste literally takes millions of years to not be active anymore
>its just a meme :^)

safe and clean :)
>>
>>59978353
>There's so much uranium and irradiated stuff here from when USA bombed us
le depleted uranium face
How's that third arm btw?
>>
File: 366x550.jpg (30KB, 366x550px) Image search: [Google]
366x550.jpg
30KB, 366x550px
>>59977235
it's freaking water vapor dude. That's kinda the whole point, no pollution. I don't get why we don't make more. Thorium is gonna be a fart. fuck coal and shit and go radioactive.

this hysteria pisses me off as an engineer
>>
I live in NYC, I honestly wouldn't mind. It might reduce my electricity bill.
>>
>>59978413
Honestly, you could simply enrich the nuclear waste products to a higher energy form with a far lower half life if you wanted to(and also use it for more energy).
>>
File: images.jpg (7KB, 266x190px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
7KB, 266x190px
>>59978353
>They bought their AKs from Ukraine from Chernobyl, they just need to put them in Sava and let it float towards us, poor mans nuke.
>>
Pretty fucking good.

We can finally start to compete with France. When's the last time someone heard of a french reactor going haywire? Fucking never.

And they've essentially owned European power off the back of nuclear for ten years.
>>
>>59977555
A modern nuclear power plant would not pollute an aquifer, the stuff you see coming out of the tower is steam
>>
>>59977976

Snowbirds pls go
>>
>>59978413
>You talk out of your ass
>It's fact

>>
File: safeandclean.png (71KB, 700x471px) Image search: [Google]
safeandclean.png
71KB, 700x471px
>takes millions of years to become non-active

safe and clean friends :)
>>
>>59978552
>NYC builds new nuclear power plant
>decides to demolish half of Staten Island to do it
>TAKE THAT WHITE MAN
>Italians rejoice that they're finally considered White
>>
Feel great.
I believe nuclear power is hugely important and would vote for anyone interested in expanding it. It is a shame people are such cowardly, short sighted cucks that assume nuclear plant = guaranteed Chernobyl.
>>
>>59978667
We can a century or two until we have a space elevator and then ship it all into the sun.
>>
>>59976689
Ontario here. I would probably assume it is going to be another multi-Billion dollar boondoggle by our corrupt as shit Liberal government.

Safety-wise I'm not too worried less radiation released than from coal power plants, it would probably be safer since it means they're replacing our aging nuclear plants. Geographically it's a pretty perfect place: far inland away from tsunamis, and at the dead center of the North American craton - the ground hasn't moved here for 600 Million years
>>
>>59976932
Btw you're a cuck.
>>
>>59978667
>we should stop producing glass because it takes a million years for one glass bottle to decay

There's a moving garbage pile the size of Texas in the ocean that will take centuries to decay, and your complaint is about the easily managed high-level waste?
>>
>>59976689
I live in the USA. Our reactors are privately owned. As such, I'd be curious of it.
On one hand, I like nuclear. On the other, privately owned reactors get messy.
>>
File: 398805.jpg (22KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
398805.jpg
22KB, 300x225px
Following this month's intense rainfall in the north of England an Environment Agency alert has highlighted the flood risk to the crumbling nuclear waste dump adjoining Sellafield in Cumbria, writes Marianne Birkby - a dump which remains in use despite its condemnation by the EA in 2005 due to its likely destruction by rising seas
>>
finally fulfill my dream of become homer simpson

but seriously I'd move. my house is like right on a fucking fault line and there's decent earthquakes every month or so

also speaking of earthquakes, when I was a kid I always trusted the ground, you know like walking by caves or cliffs, or not being afriad of buildings falling on you because you always think of the ground as like this solid unmovable thing

anyway there was this fucking massive earthquake where my house went 0.5 meters up and down up and down the whole fucking earth just shaking it's so powerful I was thrown into my window and smashed the glass with my face and burnt myself (boiling noodles), and what happens right is there will be an earthqake, and then suddenly the grond will start erupting with like this sand shit it pushed up the living room, cut the street ruined everything it just squirts out the ground like this wet sand

anyway if that happened near a nuclear plant we'd all be fucked. nobody knew there was a faultline there either

a building collapsed onto a bus my sister was on, killing around 20 people onboard but she just broke her leg
>>
File: 567.jpg (60KB, 577x432px) Image search: [Google]
567.jpg
60KB, 577x432px
>>59978578
>year 1984+26
>When's the last time someone heard of a japanese reactor going haywire?
>>
>>59976689
Feel safer than living 10 miles from Muslims
>>
>>59978471
The initial investment cost is approximately equal to ten years of operation. Many businessmen don't want to see that kind of a return, plus, it could be closed at any time because hippies complain, so it's a fairly slow return, and fairly high risk. Not because of the dangers of nuclear energy, but because of the dangers of politicians.

Political regulations also are part of the high cost. So there could be more, if the government would make it cheaper for there to be more, and offer some investor protections.
>>
>>59978854

glass isnt radioactive and harmful to all cells you fucking dumb niggers
>>
>>59977235
Goddamit that's steam. Water vapor. You're making us look bad
>>
>>59978863

It's no secret that Cumbria in northern England has been repeatedly hit by torrential rain and wind this month.

But there has been little media focus on what this means for nuclear waste buried at Drigg, the UKs 'Low Level Waste Repository', located near the Sellafield nuclear site on the Cumbrian coast.
>>
File: 413x550.jpg (45KB, 413x550px) Image search: [Google]
413x550.jpg
45KB, 413x550px
>>59977767
>>cheap electricity
>finally
w8 til everyone is driving electric cars. well you guys are prolly not gonna suffer from that... But in this tax nightmare, where moving electrons are usually really cheap, and gas prices always through the roof.. we're gonna get so cucked.. soon you power bill will be like 2000$ I swear
>>
>nuclear waste disposal
>we literally dig a big pit, cover it and try to forget about it

i mean, we cant see it, it doesnt matter right!?
>>
nuclear industry shilling hard today
>>
>>59976932
How Do you know?
>>
>>59978667
>uranium ore somehow doesn't decay
>actually gets more "active"
>completely arbitrary scale that means literally nothing

facts and proofs friends :^)
>>
>>59978728
Kek, I'd prefer if they demolished Canarsie
>>
>>59976689
I would rather have one nuke plant the billions of windmills they're planing to build near me.
>>
>>59979064

its literally off
http://www.world-nuclear.org/info/nuclear-fuel-cycle/nuclear-wastes/radioactive-waste-management/

you fucking dumb nigger cunt, its a PRO nuclear website

god you idiots are so fucking dumb, and will literally parrot anything as long as you can be contrarian about it
>>
>>59978919

approximately half of the containers at the tops of stacks ... Corrosion, sometimes fully penetrating, is present in some container lids at the tops of stacks.

"Discharges to the air of radioactive gases are ongoing. According to the British Geological Society the Drigg site is above a regional aquifer. It is also likely to be destroyed by coastal erosion in 500 to 5,000 years (computer modelling can be wrong either way). Much of the waste is long lived and high risk."

Drigg must stay open, says nuclear industry

Keeping the Drigg site open for continued dumping and extending the capacity of the site is something the nuclear industry are keen to do, seemingly at any cost to the environment. This plan is titled: 'Low Level Waste Repository Site Optimisation and Closure Works'.

Even the title of the application is hugely misleading. The date for 'closure' is set at 2079. So Drigg would continue to accept nuclear waste for more than six decades to come.

The site would be 'capped'. Again this is misleading: to 'cap' a nuclear dump is akin to putting a cap on a fizzy lemonade bottle which has holes in the bottom.
>>
>>59976689
considering I'm enslaved in a multi racial state, shitty.
>>
>>59978914
High level waste from reactors amounts to less than 1% of all present in the US you gorilla. If your country stopped spending billions on defense per year, 99% of your radiation woes would disappear.

Not only that, there are strategies in place to recycle and maintain what can't be recycled indefinitely.
>>
>>59978667
>>takes millions of years to become non-active
>safe and clean friends :)

yeah but you just dig it down deep in the mountain, it's not like this isn't going on down below.. reaches us in of radon gas.
>>
I wouldn't be very worried about radiation but I'd be unhappy that such a large industrial site was coming to my area. During construction there would be a large amount of heavy vehicles coming and going for years, fucking up the roads (road damage isn't linear by weight), making noise, etc. Once it was completed, there would be traffic generated by the large number of employees and ongoing maintenance. And since utility rates are usually set over a large area, I wouldn't even get a discount for living nearby. If there's a shoe factory down the street from you, usually they'll have a factory outlet (a true one, not one of those Alabama shopping center deals) where you can get shoes at a deep discount. That doesn't happen with electricity. Guess if I was opening an electric smelting plant, there would be some benefit.
>>
>>59978965
>nuclear "waste"
>most of it is unburned uranium
>uranium is naturally occurring
>it's all over the place

Holy shit, we're all going to die!
>>
>>59978872
Shoo oilgarch.
That a 40 year old reactor can be hit by an earthquake and a tsunami, 'melt down' and still produce less radiation exposure than a trans Atlantic flight is a testament to the safety of the technology.

>>
>>59978132
And they would live with cheaper energy prices than you, and probably sell the house at a higher value later on.
>>
>>59979196
Radionuclides with highest activities in the inventory include 3H, 241Pu, 137Cs, 234U and 90Sr, 238U and 232Th."

This represents a cocktail of relatively short-lived, intensely radioactive species such as the tritium, caesium, strontium and plutonium with half lives measured in years and decades, with daughters such as americium 241 that's dangerous for centuries, mixed in with uranium and thorium isotopes with half lives as long as 14 billion years.

Serious degradation already under way

But the waste has been dumped at the site with little or no regard to either short or long term hazards. From 1940 to 1988 chemical and radioactive wastes was simply 'tumble tipped' into trenches.
>>
File: 10682.16444.jpg (207KB, 1400x933px) Image search: [Google]
10682.16444.jpg
207KB, 1400x933px
I can see these towers from my driveway.
>>
>>59979248

go throw another shrimp on the barbie nigel, nobody cares about aussies anyway
>>
>>59976689

My state is overdo for a massive earthquake that's going to kill thousands of people and completely fuck up the region, so it'd be a bad idea probably.
>>
>>59976739

TFW I don't have my A&P
>>
>>59979485

*Overdue
>>
>>59978863
>>59978919
>>59979196
>>59979358

nuclear energy is so safe, and its SOOO clean!!!!!

JUST DIG A BIG PIT, HIDE OUR SHIT THERE, AND FORGET ABOUT IT LOL
>>
>>59977356
Missile complex in disguise, calling it now!
>>
>>59979522
we'll just eject it all into the sun once its cost effective
>>
>>59979158
Is that supposed to be your rebuttal, that the scale was from a pro-nuke source? Doesn't make it any less shit. You may continue to spew your worthless opinion on a matter you know nothing about though.

>>
File: I_ain't_even_mad_will_smith.png (99KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
I_ain't_even_mad_will_smith.png
99KB, 400x300px
>>59976689
>Clean energy
>Little to no environmental impact
>No dead birds of prey like with wind and solar farms
Well, looks like a logical green choice.
>>
I don't think they can fit another one in next to torness m8
>>
>>59979378
>nuclear silos in his backyard
>complains about radiation from the microwave

ok
>>
>>59978860
When was the last time a reactor in the US got messy?
>>
>>59979485
Why would an earthquake be a problem? It wasn't even a problem in Japan until the tsunami took out the backup power generators. So unless you're also at risk of getting hit by a tsunami, a reactor would survive just fine.
>>
I'd rather it be a nuclear power plant than a coal or oil fired one.
>>
>>59979561

ad hominem
>>
>>59976689
>cheaper electric bills
Fuck yeah!
>>
>>59978037
Not him but in america our subs and carriers are nuclear so nuclear trained sailors can get really good civilian jobs when we get out of the navy.
>>
>>59979374
>I can see these towers from my driveway.

nice beside the man on the moon, flaming farts and porn the very peak of the western world
>>
>>59979561

>graph from a PRO nuclear energy website showing that degredation of nuclear material takes upwards of 1000-1,000,000 years
>calls it worthless information

:^) enjoy thoes 12 million immigrants hanz, better sell your sister to the sex trade now
>>
>>59979336
>Shoo oilgarch.
>elcitrcity is made from oil

>can be hit by an earthquake and a tsunami
Mostly it was hit by human greed and stupidity.
>>
>>59976689
I'd see if there were any job openings
>>
I wouldn't really care although I wish they hadn't put it so close to the shore.
>>59977371
>I have no idea how nuclear power works and think that it's similar to a nuclear bomb
>>
File: tmyk.gif (39KB, 304x200px) Image search: [Google]
tmyk.gif
39KB, 304x200px
>>59979708
Did you know that the radioactive material that hasn't been mined also takes that long to decay? Did you also know those radioactive materials are why we have an atmosphere?
>>
File: Naamloos-2.png (138KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
Naamloos-2.png
138KB, 350x350px
>>59976689

>Because it's equipt with a TRIGGER BUTTON
>>
>>59976689
Nice one I have been w8 for the second nuclear power plant of bulgaria for a long time.
>>
>>59979708
>posts shit graph that has no value
>somehow it's right because it's from a pro-nuke site
>implying I'm not going to leave this cuntry
>>
>>59978936
It's kind of funny seeing electric cars in my area. My area get's it's energy 97% from coal, so a "green" car is really just a coal burning car.
>>
>>59976689
I live in commiefornia near the San Andreas fault. I love nuclear, but it might not be the best to build it here.
>>
>>59976689
I think it's pretty cool desu. I'd want to see if I could tour the place.
>>
>>59977944
They collect rain water
>>
>>59976689
I'd move.
Technically, sure, it's safe, but uh... yeah... if something goes wrong it's gonna go really, really wrong.
>>
>>59978471

because when there's an accident its a fucking catastrophe

don't build this shit near my backyard
>>
>>59979617
Stupid statements like this reminds me of all those idiots live near nuke plants walking around with geiger counters worrying while never checking their house for radon radiation.
>>
>>59980062
> electric cars are bought by hip liberal faggots
>coal burning cars

ayyy lmao
>>
>>59976689
I already live 5 miles from a large Nuclear Power station

I want them to expand it instead of building more useless renewables
>>
>>59977557
Kek
>>
>>59980317
There are 61 nuke plants in the US. You've only heard of one incident from 35 years ago, and no radiation was release and no one died.

You some kind of pussy or something?
>>
File: powerplant.jpg (72KB, 640x396px) Image search: [Google]
powerplant.jpg
72KB, 640x396px
>>59979374

Ugly. This is the one by me
>>
>>59980629
We should paint it yellow
>>
>>59978825

Its not corruption, its just plain incompetence.

Governments are really bad at project management so they just throw money at something and try and steamroll through every retarded problem that they caused by not carefully planning.

Also to be fair, the power stations in Ontario were revolutionary experimental reactors when they were built, if you just pulled a design off the shelf and flew in people who knew what the were doing it would be a different story

t. nuclear industry guy
>>
>>59981351
If you're so smart you should run for office
>>
>>59979522

Is it going to teleport onto the surface?
>>
>>59976689
It means I could stop working in Pickering and have to drive less than a half hour to get to work.
>>
>>59976689

move
>>
>>59976689
I would be happy that a clean source of energy was being put into use so close to my home.
>>
>>59976689
be glad the power infrastructure would be upgraded in the vicinity of my home
>>
>>59976689
Happy, my energy bill would be next to nil
>mfw a good friend of mine was vacationing in Chernobyl during the disaster and has a nasty scar due to a rash he got from the whole event
>>59979259
Nuclear power is good in literally every capacity and it's only con is the waste disposal which will eventually be found to be another power source all it's own within the next 30 years and then it will be a power creator who's only negative is making a secondary power source
>>
>>59979637
We're still cleaning up three mile island. US reactors tend to operate by minimal safety standards in order to cut overheard cost. Most of our reactors are also stupidly outdated.
>>
>>59981719

My dream is to be energy minister of Ontario in a conservative government

>trash every windmill
>trash every solar panel
>Nuke + gas + hydro
>electricity bills plummet
>?????
>Greenpeace on suicide watch
>>
>>59982269
Presumably you would accomplish these things by throwing money at them?
>>
>>59982258
So almost 40 years ago?
>>
>>59982258
>Most of our reactors are also stupidly outdated.
Because faggot anti-nukes won't let anyone build new ones, so the IAEA has to go in and declare old reactors as safe since people also bitch about coal plants.

Decisions need to be made and soon, because solar and wind just won't cut it. The capacity simply isn't there.
>>
Switch your house to led lights anons. Save the world
>>
>>59976689
relatively ok, there is one within an hour of me, if it had a serious meltdown or other catastrophe my town would probably be in the dead zone anyway. They've been doing a good job of not fucking up.
>>
>>59976689

I'd be on board with cheap power.

My area is actually a prime spot for nuclear.
>>
>>59976689
Fine. Modern nuclear power plants are pretty safe.
>>
You experience less background radiation exposure from living within 20 miles of a nuclear power station then you do from living within the same radius of a coal or gas power station.
>>
I live in southern california and there is literally one less than 15 miles from me. It doesn't scare me, although I do worry more about earthquakes because of it. I think it's being shut down though
>>
>>59976689
i used to live near this magical pair of tits
>>
I'd love for my government to start putting money into researching things like Thorium Reactors or even just building Uraniam Reactors considering how much of the shit we have out here. It'd be a much better use of it than selling it for two cents to China then getting the nuclear waste back.
>>
>>59983393
>>59983331
that's where i live
>>
>>59976689
Cheer, as my idiotic govt would finally realise nuclear power IS NOT A BAD IDEA.

Srsly, there is yet to be created a single nuclear plant in Poland.
>>
>>59983393
I drove past those in GTA V today. :^)
>>
I have a coal power plant about as far away from me and sometimes it makes the air smell like phenol. Fuck that shit, I would rather go nuclear.
>>
>>59976689
sweet high paying nuclear jobs bruh
>>
>>59976932
Lies
>>
>>59978223
>your argument failed to include my fantasies

*tip* indeed.

I actually clicked back to this to see if somebody had even tried to make a coherent argument. I can only blame myself.
>>
>>59976689
Good luck building a nuclear power plant in a mountain range faggot.
>>
>>59982378
all it would take to cripple "renewables" is to STOP throwing money at them
>>
>>59976689
If we got the accompanying drop in electricity costs, replacing all the extremely expensive green taxes and subsidies then I'd be happy for it. They're extremely safe outside of natural disasters, you're more likely to die to about a billion other things.
>>
>>59978320
>99%

[citation required]
>>
The problems with nuclear aren't local, like coal, they're global.
>nuclear waste
>uranium competition
>potential bombs everywhere
>etcetera

The only issue with having nuclear right next door is if it fucks up, but that's only going to happen if they build it wrong (unlikely, most bad npp were built in the 60s to 80s), if there's a disaster (which means only build them in the middle of plates) or if they hire idiots (plausible, gotta get them minorities in STEM).

With that in mind, Japan and other places on fault lines should be looking into geothermal, not nuclear. Australia is the perfect candidate for nuclear, the fuel is local, plenty of places to dump waste and major earthquakes are almost nonexistent. But Australia has only one reactor which makes medical isotopes instead of energy.
>>
>>59976739
FIRST POST BEST POST
>>
>>59976739
>>
[cheeki breeki intensifies]
>>
>>59976689
Wouldn't care

Not my land. Not my business.

It would be arrogant to think I have a right to stop them.
>>
>>59977719
>I'm a spartley spooligan
>the post
>>
Im totally ok with this
I like nuclear stuff in all its glory
Especially nice if its cutting edge breeder tech being build, means we are actually pushing the progress
>>
>>59976689
Amass enough money to bribe them to move plans to new area. Or hire people to make the area too fiscally difficult to construct on.
>>
>>59976689
>Try to quickly sell house
>Wait until all the slower people get into the selling panic
>Buy a better house ultra-cheap
>Enjoy life next to one of the safest power plants in the world
>>
>>59976689
Sweet! More work for us to build it since oil is shit and more maintenance work
>>
>>59981351
I was actually making reference the the $2 Billion the Libs spent to cancel the gas plants so they could save 2 seats in the election.

I have no doubt that if there is ever enough political will to replace one of our nuclear stations it wouldn't be too overpriced. Even if it goes 200% over budget it would probably still be cheaper than all the solar power being built with contracts promising them $0.80/kWh and much more reliable.
>>
Would it make sense for Canada to build oil power plants? They have so much of it and it's cheap now.
>>
>>59980360
You're only getting an accident if you build it in an earthquake-prone area or you use a reactor from the 40s or some shit. Modern reactors are crazy safe.
>>
File: ifDPSce.jpg (499KB, 1209x914px) Image search: [Google]
ifDPSce.jpg
499KB, 1209x914px
>>59978160
Nice map,almost as good as this one!
>>
>>59976689
I live within a reasonable distance from 4 nuke plants.

I've got no fucks to give.
>>
>>59982269
Why not just all nuclear?
>>
>>59980360
Traditional coal factories are historically much more dangerous than nuclear power plants.
>>
>>59976689
If I lived in a more rural area I would be glad

I would just change my engineering course from computer to nuclear or mechatronic, I assume most engineering courses would be useful there
>>
>>59976689
they look like shit so I wouldn't be happy if that's what you ask
>>
I would be thrilled. We desperately need to build new reactors with modern designs. Plus it would help the local economy a lot.
>>
>>59984169
And nothing bad happens because of it
Imagine if we had one far inland and housing was provided for workers and their families

It would be like Cadbury and their towns they made
>>
>>59976689
As long as it's design follows modern reactor principles I'd be fine with it.
>>
File: CoolingTowerProcess.gif (19KB, 279x400px) Image search: [Google]
CoolingTowerProcess.gif
19KB, 279x400px
>>59977944
Cooling towers. They are just giant heat exchangers to get rid of excess heat. They cloud they emit is just steam.
Nothing dangerous happens in the towers, the reactors are inside those big concrete domes you see near the main building.

Nuclear reactors themselves are very complex, but ultimately all they do is generate heat, which is then used to convert water into steam in order to spin turbines and generate electricity.
>>
why is it we abandoned lmfrs (liquid metal fast reactors)? I know there are a few out there, but by now it should be a much more viable option, and if i'm not mistaken they can even run on fuel that would be considered "spent" in a water cooled reactor, you could literally run them off the waste of other reactors and the resulting waste would be much less radioactive. Of course there are dangers to using liquid sodium but the dangers don't seem to outweigh the dangers of using inefficient water reactors that produce tons of highly radioactive waste. Of course this is just my impression I'm not a nuclear engineer by any stretch of the imagination. just seems to be a technology that was either prematurely abandoned or deliberately suppressed imo.
>>
>>59976689
Perfectly fine
>>
As long as we put the reactors in Oklahoma and the waste in Nevada I'm ok with it.
>>
>>59976689
We already have hydro power in town, why do we need nuclear power?
>>
>>59976689

INDUSTRY OF PEACE
>>
>>59976739
This
>>
>>59976689
Fine. I'd have no problems with it.
>>
>>59976689
I'm in California so we'd stall it forever until I'm dead then who cares.
Thread posts: 216
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.