[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

US removes meat labeling laws because it violates trade rulings.

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 127
Thread images: 15

http://customwire.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_CONGRESS_MEAT_LABELING?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2016-01-03-08-30-42

Ready for some Chinese Steak?
>>
>>59973166
And that's how I became a pathetic vegetarian.
>>
I've eaten meat imported from China. I lived.
>>
We already have Chinese chicken.

protip: PRODUCT OF USA does not mean the chicken is raised or processed in the USA, just shrink wrapped here.

Thanks Obama.
>>
>>59973166
Obama's government is actually doing something right for a change.
>>
File: both-ends.jpg (71KB, 558x498px) Image search: [Google]
both-ends.jpg
71KB, 558x498px
>>59973166

enjoying your libertarianism yet?
>>
>>59973166
Perfect....operation cloned meat is A GO!
>>
>>59973583

i thought it just meant that the meat was inspected and graded in the US?
>>
>>59973166
>2016
>Still shopping at chain stores
Go to your local shops.
>>
>>59973166
Why not just label your meat if it is in the US? Labeling requirements are unnecessary. If you care about that kind of thing, just purchase meat from companies that explicitly state that their cattle is born, raised, and slaughtered in the US.
>>
Does this go for Canada too? I refuse to ingest any Chinese products
>>
>>59973166
Im not reading that, what was the justification for removing it

What fucking trade rulings
>>
File: LeVier_Anthony.jpg (13KB, 188x275px) Image search: [Google]
LeVier_Anthony.jpg
13KB, 188x275px
>>59973669
Yes. Because I don't buy my meat a a filthy fucking degenerate ridden super market. I happen to have an amazing butcher a block away from me.
>>
>>59973669

Honestly this is a good point. Whats the free market solution? There isn't one. Maybe after enough people get cancer from radioactive mexican tomatoes something could happen in a free market but its just fucked.
>>
>>59973861
>Im not reading that

I'd mock you, but I don't feel like reading it either
>>
>>59973861
>Im not reading that
>>
>>59973166

Well, now you can either only buy meat products that voluntarily label their meat with the information you require or just kill/slaughter your own meat.
>>
Country of origin labeling is what has to be removed. It was a WTO case brought against the US by Canada and others.

>tfw my local market sells meat that's locally produced. No country of origin label, just a "Local" sticker

>Problem resolved.
>>
>>59973512

Technically, sterilized sewage won't kill you.
>>
Isn't this a NAFTA thing? Canada and Mexico don't want meat-labeling, because they know many Americans wouldn't knowingly purchase their meat.

It says something that they consider informed consumers to be a bad thing.
>>
>>59973166
The good butchers/meat sellers will proudly stamp on their product "made in the USA", "Organic", "Hormone Free", and etc.

Sucks for the inner city folk who will be forced to buy ching chang's "beef"
>>
>>59973939
The free market requires at its very minimum truthful merchants and merchandise. It's freedom to commerce, not to fraud.

Unlabelled goods are not fraud, so long they are sold unlabelled. Enjoy your mystery meat. But if you ask for meat from a specific geographic area, you deserve to no be defrauded by lying labels.
>>
>2015 A.D. in the year of our lord the Flying Spaghetti Monster
>Not being vegan

I shiggy diggy rest in peace biggy my niggy
>>
>>59973656

Increasing competition against American farmers.

Thanks for another brilliant obongoism.
>>
>>59974264
>American "organic"
How is that chlorine doing?
>>
File: 1451612327960.jpg (281KB, 1200x808px) Image search: [Google]
1451612327960.jpg
281KB, 1200x808px
I thought the u.s. stopped using meat products from china becauze they were feeding them Colistin.
>>
>>59974264
Hey man, I live in Chicago and I have a great butcher by me. People come from the Burbs to get their meat from them. A great family tradition. For my Christmas roast, I ordered a seven bone prime rib. It was Delicious.
>>
Why does the WTO oppose labeling?
>>
>>59974460

Get ready to pay a premium for untainted meat.
>>
>>59974568

>http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2014/10/wto-rules-against-country-of-origin-labeling-on-meat-in-us/
>>
>>59973166
Why even fucking have the FDA at this point?
TPP rendered it moot.
>>
boy oh boy i cant wait to get fucking mad cow disease thanks obama
>>
>>59974568

Because people are aware of looser standards in other countries and Obama signed a trade agreement to make sure we don't know where our food is coming from.
>>
>>59973583
False.
>>
>>59974380
>muh farmers

If they cannot compete in the global market then they should no exist.
>>
>>59974242
>Canada and Mexico don't want meat-labeling, because they know many Americans wouldn't knowingly purchase their meat.

I get Mexico.
But doesn't Canada rank better in food safety?
>>
>>59974576
I will gladly pay.
>>
File: meat eaters.jpg (377KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
meat eaters.jpg
377KB, 1600x1200px
>2016
>eating corpses like a jungle primitive

Meat is literally nigger-tier food. It's for subhumans who are too stupid to grow crops.

Don't give in to the rotting-corpse jew!
>>
>>59974392
idk I buy from amish butcher
>>
>>59974798

Agreed. Fuck american farmers. They run a buisness that is incredibly subsidized and people look at them like fucking heroes anyway.
>>
File: msf1.jpg (37KB, 410x600px) Image search: [Google]
msf1.jpg
37KB, 410x600px
LET US NOT FORGET THAT THE CONSUMER MUST BE SELF AWARE AND INFORMED OF WHAT THEY ARE CONSUMING!

So basically, the brain-dead idiots will just slowly kill themselves off.

I'm net neutral to this.
>>
>>59974798

This is bullshit. Government used to do some things well. Regulation and inspection of our critical food supply by the FDA and USDA was one of them.
>>
>>59974811

People here are so fucking dumb.
>>
>>59975113
I can print this article out to my fucking butcher and he would laugh. They source their meat from the same family farms for 50 plus years. The price will stay within range of all of the other competitors. Or, if I want to use my own utility, I will go to the farm and butcher the cow myself. FOR FREE.
>>
>>59974973

yes why even bother with a society at all?
>>
>>59975401
>free cows
>>
>>59974973
>LET US NOT FORGET THAT THE CONSUMER MUST BE SELF AWARE AND INFORMED OF WHAT THEY ARE CONSUMING!
>SO LETS LIE AND HIDE THOSE FACTS AND INFORMATION AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE, IT'S FREE MARKET YOU STATIST NORMIE SHILL
>>
>>59973934
Same here. The meat that I consume comes from animals that I drive past every day.
>>
This is why you need to buy local from a farm or butcher you trust. Also, raise your own meat if possible.

I feel sorry for you city faggots and suburbaniggers.
>>
Does it occur to anybody that healthy and strong domestic food production is a national security issue and foundational to a healthy economy?

That's the original purpose of farm subsidies. Though it's rife with abuse these days it's not a bad thing per se. Your domestic agricultural capacity should not suffer from the vicissitudes of a free market.

But you little teeny-bopper 4chan neckbeards can't think beyond the most basic concepts.
>>
>>59974285

and when those unlabeled goods are the only ones set at affordable prices, or prices affordable to the lower classes? when labeled goods are priced at a premium because of the "luxury" of knowing where they're from?

yeah, the free market will find a way to exploit this alright.
>>
>>59975639
This is the era of globalization. Local economies are irrelevant.
>>
>>59974803
surprising no. they also have a pretty poor drug certification too.
>>
>>59975401

If the domestic cattle market suffers from foreign slave labor and unfair competition your butcher will have to pay and sell at higher prices.
>>
>>59973841
Technically this meat labelling thing should benefit cnadian beef, and also mexican beef,

however i don't know if this includes non NA beef, IE china. but you already have beef so don't worry, and don't buy cheap frozen american meat paste refuse.
>>
>>59973166
Another instance of us being sold out by our whorish politicians.
>>
>>59975639
>Does it occur to anybody that healthy and strong domestic food production is a national security issue and foundational to a healthy economy?
yes, which is why these labels were introduced after a case of mad cow disease infected canadian meat in 2002.
>>
>>59974239
it's still non-potable for a reason though
>>
>>59974239
it might though, just because you kill off all the bacteria doesn't mean any dangerous chemicals or carcinogens won't kill you
>>
>>59974973
how can they be self aware if they can't possibly be aware of it
>>
Ive been wanting to improve my diet lately anyway

>drop sugar
>drop processed foods
>drop all meats especially pork and beef
>drop soy and other oils

>intake more veggies
>intake more tuna and sardines
>intake more olive/grapeseed oils

Already losing weight and have more energy, dont get sleepy in the day either, heart burn is fading, chest tightness gone.
>>
Is there anything a business could possibly do that a libertarian wont defend?
>>
>>59974803
>doesn't Canada rank better in food safety?

I doubt it. The US has very strict standards when it comes to that kind of thing. Personally, I tend to not buy meat that isn't produced locally simply because of the short shelf life. I like that shit fresh. Same reason I don't eat much seafood. The nearest large body of water is a couple hundred miles away and takes several days to reach here.
>>
>>59976072

It's only non-potable if you realize you're eating it.
>>
>>59974973
Oh yes because only idiots don't analyse every single fucking thing to ensure that its not a threat
>>
>>59975639
This benefits the local. They can slam the made in murica sign if they wish. If a product does not have that sign you know it comes from abroad
>>
Fuck this shit i live in rural Minnesota i purchase my beef and chicken from local farmers who process their own animals.

Eating Chinese chicken in 2016
>>
Disgusting

I fucking hate this country and all the globalists in it.
>>
>>59976327
>drop all meats
>intake more tuna and sardines

you what
>>
>>59973166
Fuck I love Living in Northern Ireland. The most rigorous meat traceability regime in the world and the Farm Assured Symbol means I know my meat is safe.
>>
This is really a bunch of shit, the supermarket was my only source of real good beef and the labels allowed me to chose meat that was grown in the US which meant it was actually good non-steroided bullshit meat.

Without this, its now virtually impossible for me to tell. I know no local butchers at all that isn't some ridiculous 20 mile drive
>>
>>59976685
>fish is meat

Its not considered meat or poultry
>>
File: 1378252289278.png (230KB, 917x639px) Image search: [Google]
1378252289278.png
230KB, 917x639px
>>59973166
>Lawmakers said they had no choice but to get rid of the labels after the World Trade Organization repeatedly ruled against them. The WTO recently authorized Canada and Mexico, which had challenged the law, to begin more than $1 billion in economic retaliation against the United States.

Why are we subject to foreign courts for domestic commerce, or anything?

Fucking bullshit I tell you
>>
>>59976447
lel
>>
>>59976327
Fish is probably just as bad as red meats because of polluting and heavy metal buildup.
>>
>>59976781
If they wish the producers may still label their meat. And they will because not labeling means it is same as its from china.
>>
>>59977039
They're probably not going to, companies don't just do shit that would defect people from buying their product.

I seriously doubt certain manufacturers will keep doing it unless they seriously believed that their meat made in another country would suit them

I'd buy meat from canada or the US, never china or mexico. But now you can't tell
>>
>>59977037
Light tuna is very little and sardines even less, the only case I read for sickness over tuna was some faggot who thought it was a good idea to eat 10 cans every week for 2 years.

As for other fish, yeah many popular ones in the stores have high amounts. Some dont like Talapia.
>>
>>59973939

Libertarianism is for no market rules and no borders.

It's the the most Jewish shit ever wrapped in the flag and Constitution.
>>
>>59977205
The responsible local ones will label because it brings sales. Not having label means there is a possibility it comes from china probably has some dog in it too. So why would they hurt their own business and not label?
>>
>>59973669
>libertarian
>not using your purchasing power to buy only labeled meat
>state outlaws labeled meat
>somehow libertarians fault
not even sure if you are autistic
>>
>>59977847
>all corporations ban labeled meat
>have no choice but to buy unlabeled meat
A libertarian would fight to the death in support of this.
>>
>>59977946
>that isnt how free markets work
How do you think things like organic and gmo free labels came about? It is called profit. Not EVERY company would see a profit gain by them colluding together to ban the label.

Fucking aussie nigger, expected better bants from you.
>>
>>59975727
>This is the era of globalization. Local economies are irrelevant.
Everyone lives in a local economy, jackass.
>>
File: 1424576956322.gif (370KB, 500x465px) Image search: [Google]
1424576956322.gif
370KB, 500x465px
>Little supermarket down the street has a butcher that uses cows, pigs, and chickens from farms in town

Eternally laughing at city fags and their disgusting Walmart meat and hordes of niggers.
>>
>>59978505

Exactly this. If you buy your meat from a chain you deserve to eat horse.
>>
>>59978638
And what about the millions of people who can't do anything about it?
>>
>>59978765
Fuck 'em, t'aint my pro'lem
>>
File: 1448232619720.png (205KB, 505x431px) Image search: [Google]
1448232619720.png
205KB, 505x431px
>>59973166
"U.S. exporters can now breathe a sigh of relief," said Republican Sen. Pat Roberts of Kansas, chairman of the Senate Agriculture, Nutrition and Forestry Committee. The longtime opponent of the labels helped add the repeal to a massive year-end spending bill. After the law was passed, Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack said the government immediately would stop requiring the labels.

Gee thanks Pat.
>>
>>59979389
I'm pretty sure Sen Pat Roberts gets a huge bonus from Monsanto every year.

The head of the FDA also formerly worked for monsanto, its a hugely corrupt group of shitters
>>
File: moo, bitches.jpg (39KB, 475x293px) Image search: [Google]
moo, bitches.jpg
39KB, 475x293px
Several of my friends buy a fraction of a cow each year from a local farmer. They get fractional ownership of a specific cow in the heard, are able to go out to the farm to check on the cows, know exactly what kinds of antibiotics the cows are getting, what they're eating, etc. There's a small risk that something might happen to the cow before slaughter but so far none of them have had that happen. When the cow is slaughtered, it's at a local slaughterhouse, and meat from that particular cow is split, boxed, and distributed to each fractional owner.

I've never done it because the amount of meat is more than will fit in my freezer and I'd have to change my diet to be able to eat it all but now I might invest in a chest freezer and find someone who wants to go in on a fraction ownership.
>>
>>59973166
Chinese fucking cook their food with sewage.
>>
This is what happens when you sign treaties like NAFTA & TPP.
>>
>>59977946

Why would corps ban labeled meat? At this point, it is an advertising bonus. The "at least you know that your beef is borne and raised in the US of A" sales pitch would appeal strongly to many Americans. They can even nudge up the price a little bit if they wanted, or turn up the heat on the competition by lowering it a smidgen.

While they can't be forced to label anymore, they might at least be required to be truthful if they do include a label.

Don't buy unlabeled meat. Don't be lazy and do your homework, or find a fucking butcher on a local and reputable farm and start funding small businesses.

Alternatively you can also cut-down on meat consumption, as well as dairy consumption. Start including meat as a side and focus more on greens. Maybe you could stand to lose some weight.

With everything going on, there isn't anything wrong with shifting more towards the vegetarian persuasion. You don't even have to drop all meat either.

If anything, not requiring labels may actually cause people to look a bit harder into where the origin of their food lies.

Or things will just change back to requiring labels when enough people die from mad cow.
>>
>>59980580
>Why would corps ban labeled meat?
because it means they can't sell as much because a consumer would make a purchase based on how its grown

its not an advertising bonus for them as it reveals where their products came from, they'd much rather import cheap meat and sell it to you for full price

This is why corporations are so fucking scummy especially things like monsanto and big meat
>>
>>59980516
This is what happens when you are powerless to stop it because the CONgress and "US" government are controlled by an outside interest.
>>
File: 1448176827995.png (437KB, 1039x887px) Image search: [Google]
1448176827995.png
437KB, 1039x887px
>>59981102
>because it means they can't sell as much because a consumer would make a purchase based on how its grown
They already do with things like grass-fed, organic and hormone free, etc, etc.

You idiots are ignoring real life examples of how labeling works.
>>
File: solo hans.jpg (23KB, 357x480px) Image search: [Google]
solo hans.jpg
23KB, 357x480px
>>59973669
Because Libertarians are currently in control.

Just kill yourself.
>>
>>59980580
>Don't buy unlabeled meat. Don't be lazy and do your homework,
Also you really can't "do your homework" when the information isn't made available to you.

>local butcher

I can't think of a single local butcher in my area that isn't closer than 20 miles away.

>>59981224
>They already do with things like grass-fed, organic and hormone free, etc, etc.
but thats not their bottom line and they charge out the ass for organic meats even though there probably isn't much of a difference since theres no "legal" definition of organic in anyway

It reminds me of when people protested asking for labels to identify GMO's in products but california law makers denied them saying "theres no reason for that, people wouldn't benefit from that" some stupid bullshit
>>
>>59980169
Well, technically oil reclaimed from sewers.
>>
>>59981224
>no more labels
well no instead of going to the store to know where my meat was introduced and made and butchered under what standard, now I have to go online, look for the stores supplier, where the supplier operates and even then theres no way to know if the meat I get from that supplier at the store didn't come from some other place regardless since its not labelled.

You'd probably argue against nutrition labels for contents like Wheat, milk, soy or other common allergens because "they can just look it up"
>>
How is this not criminal?

Remember when everyone was afraid of swine flu and hoof and mouth disease from chinese pigs?
>>
>>59982377
I seriously don't know why the US is subject to some dumb fucking foreign court in bed with the world trade organization, they're only doing it because they care about profit.
>>
>>59973166
US labelling is awful. In the UK we often have to put our own labels on your products because they don't meet our standards.

I love a lot of your stuff but your country really didn't learn anything from The Jungle.
>>
>shipping in perishable items from halfway across the world
how is this remotely economical?
>>
>trade sanctions lower quality of food on market
>at same time news that super bugs immune to all our best antibiotics are starting to be seen in the wild
this will end well
>>
File: 14447434724870.png (339KB, 500x263px) Image search: [Google]
14447434724870.png
339KB, 500x263px
>>59982377
Chinks use obscene amounts of antibiotics to both fatten the stock and protect them from the shit they live in. Its only a matter of time for some antibiotic resistant bug to spread and wreak havoc at this point.
>>
>>59982596
>buy cheap garbage from somewhere
>ship it over seas
>charge full price for it as "high quality" despite being literal garbage
>don't have to label, people more buy it because they're not being informed when they pick it up
>>
File: kike-borders-are-racist.png (26KB, 320x500px) Image search: [Google]
kike-borders-are-racist.png
26KB, 320x500px
>>59973166
Thanks NAFTA and TPP, both kike bills passed under democucks.
>>
>2016
>Still eating food instead of vitamin and protein shakes
>>
>>59982573
I can bet that there are very few on this site and amerians today even that even know what The Jungle is and why it is so important.
>>
>>59974202

I don't think you understand.

Any sort of label that identifies location of origin -- whether county, state, or nation -- is now illegal.

You aren't allowed to know, even if the store wanted to tell you. Unless you're buying from the farm, it will all look the same.

Literally the opposite of a free market, it's Harrison Bergeron in the deli. Other meat is good so no one gets to know which is which so no one sells less "just because" they have a shitty product.
>>
>>59973166
one more reason not to eat meat.
>>
>>59982877
There was an issue where meat was packed in nitrogen, nitrogen was a good preservation technique that stopped oxygen from letting certain oxidation reactions from occurring, ruining the meat, however meat can still degrade even when oxygen isn't involved. Many meat packers put ludicrous expiration dates on them because the meat would be red weeks and weeks after it has already pretty much completely gone bad.

Always check those sell by dates kids
>>
>>59983394

I know the butcher, I get whatever he cut that day
>>
>>59983543
Yea but I fucking don't which is why I'm so mad is because I literally don't know any local butchers that isn't the fucking hannaford down the road from me. Meat butchers is like one of those dying trades.
>>
>>59981447
>Postin 2: Electric Strawman
>>
How do you know it's even from China?
>>
>>59982784
oh fuck off every high school kid read the jungle
>>
>>59983621

Do you live in a city? Move.

I live in California but way the fuck out of the way of everything up at the top, nearly all our food is local and it's great. It costs a bit more but it's worth it, and you can drive out and look at whichever field your burgers came from. It's nice.
>>
>>59973934
Too bad big markets are pushing small business under the buss all the time
Lets hope your butcher will be exception
>>
>>59983891
>Do you live in a city? Move.
>moving just because my source of labelled beef went away

thats like "well I had one bad girlfriend better go gay
>>
Chinese steak*
Product of USA
*may include remains of unwanted children, dogs, cats, horses, moon bears, free thinkers and elephants
>>
>>59982689
>implying its just chinks

its basically every fucking industrial scale farmer.
>>
>>59984022

Ok there's also less idiots because they can't survive up here, the high prices keep vain richy assholes out, being hundreds of miles from a city offers a bit of protection from organized crime and sudden slams of drug addiction although my area is kinda fucked by weed cartels so that doesn't matter as much, also I'm surrounded by a literal paradise with very few people at all to muck it up, and the feds often just kinda ignore our shenanigans which is conducive to things

The food quality is definitely one of the higher things on the list, it's just not the only thing
>>
>>59974380
>Increasing competition against American farmers.
they need to be brought down a peg or two for their documented citizen supremacist privilege
as the oppressed class, the undocumented citizenry (all the world's aliens in your oppressive lingo) are those most deserving of all forms of affirmative action
get used to it pal
>>
>>59973166
It's okay. When Trump levies his tax on Chinese imports, the meat coolers in supermarkets will be filled wall to wall with nothing but good ol' 100% Grade A American meats.
Thread posts: 127
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.