[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>For millions of workers, wages have flatlined. Take Cate

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 191
Thread images: 26

File: Capture.png (310KB, 478x388px)
Capture.png
310KB, 478x388px
>For millions of workers, wages have flatlined. Take Caterpillar, long a symbol of American industry: while it reported record profits last year, it insisted on a six-year wage freeze for many of its blue-collar workers.

>Wages have fallen to a record low as a share of America’s gross domestic product. Until 1975, wages nearly always accounted for more than 50 percent of the nation’s G.D.P., but last year wages fell to a record low of 43.5 percent. Since 2001, when the wage share was 49 percent, there has been a steep slide. “We went almost a century where the labor share was pretty stable and we shared prosperity,” says Lawrence Katz, a labor economist at Harvard. “What we’re seeing now is very disquieting.” For the great bulk of workers, labor’s shrinking share is even worse than the statistics show, when one considers that a sizable — and growing — chunk of overall wages goes to the top 1 percent: senior corporate executives, Wall Street professionals, Hollywood stars, pop singers and professional athletes. The share of wages going to the top 1 percent climbed to 12.9 percent in 2010, from 7.3 percent in 1979.

>Conservative and liberal economists agree on many of the forces that have driven the wage share down. Corporate America’s push to outsource jobs — whether call-center jobs to India or factory jobs to China — has fattened corporate earnings, while holding down wages at home. New technologies have raised productivity and profits, while enabling companies to shed workers and slice payroll. Computers have replaced workers who tabulated numbers; robots have pushed aside many factory workers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/13/sunday-review/americas-productivity-climbs-but-wages-stagnate.html?_r=0

So how do you propose we combat the rising wealth inequality caused by outsourcing, technological advancement, and greed? All suggestions welcome.
>>
>Productivity has surged, but income and wages have stagnated for most Americans. If the median household income had kept pace with the economy since 1970, it would now be nearly $92,000, not $50,000.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2011/06/speedup-americans-working-harder-charts
>>
>Real median income has stagnated, especially over the last decade. Inequality has risen dramatically, driven by huge increases in top incomes. Employment growth has disappointed. At least some of the blame for all of this, the authors argue, can be laid at the foot of new technology. It's an interesting twist on the themes developed by Tyler Cowen in his ebook The great stagnation. Mr Cowen argues that a major slowdown in innovation is constraining potential growth, while new progress in information technology isn't providing benefits to most workers. Mssrs Brynjolfsson and McAfee tweak the argument, writing that innovation has been gathering pace and having an increasing impact on labour markets. In a nutshell, new technologies are displacing workers faster than the economy can find new uses for them.

>I think the most important part of their argument is in their nice explanation of the nature of change in information and communication technologies (ICT). The first thing to understand about ICT is that it is a general purpose technology, like electricity, with the ability to dramatically change business models and boost productivity across many different sectors. The second critical detail is the deceptively rapid pace of technological change. The authors note that when technologies improve in a Moore's Law-like fashion, doubling in power at relatively high frequencies, the huge scale of potential change sneaks up on you. The first few doublings—1 to 2, 16 to 32—seem unremarkable. By the 50th doubling, when you're going from 563 trillion to 1.1 quadrillion, the pace of progress seems almost magical. In this way, developments that seemed impossible a few years ago, like fully autonomous cars and high-quality computerized translation, are now realities, or soon will be. And there's good reason to think that ICT is just getting warmed up.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/freeexchange/2011/11/technological-unemployment
>>
>>33163975

At this point, just be happy they have jobs, there's so many people out of work, they could be fired and replaced with no issues.
>>
File: fatter-rich-leaner-middle.png (26KB, 620x432px) Image search: [Google]
fatter-rich-leaner-middle.png
26KB, 620x432px
>In the town that launched the War on Poverty 48 years ago, the poor are getting poorer despite the government's help. And the rich are getting richer because of it.

>The federal government does redistribute wealth down to struggling Americans. But in the years since President Lyndon Johnson took aim at poverty in his first State of the Union address, there has been an increasingly strong crosscurrent: The government is redistributing wealth up, too - especially in the nation's capital.

>Data findings
The analysis found that inequality has risen not just in plutocratic hubs such as Wall Street and Silicon Valley, but also in virtually every corner of the world's richest nation:

Inequality has increased in 49 of 50 states since 1989. (See accompanying box on how inequality was measured.)

The poverty rate increased in 43 states, most sharply in Nevada, ravaged by the housing bust, and in Indiana, which saw a rise in low-paying jobs.

Twenty-eight states saw all three metrics of socioeconomic well-being worsen. There, inequality and poverty rose and median income fell.

In all 50 states, the richest 20 percent of households made far greater income gains than any other quintile - up 12 percent nationally.

Income for the median household - in the very middle - fell in 28 states, with Michigan and Connecticut leading the way.

The five largest increases in inequality all were in New England: Connecticut first, followed by Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Vermont. The decline in manufacturing jobs hit New England's poor and middle hard, while the highly educated benefited from expansion in the biotech and finance industries.

The only state that didn't see a rise in inequality: Mississippi, which had an insignificant dip. The Magnolia State was one of the few to post a drop in poverty and a rise in income, but it still ranks worst in the nation on both counts.

http://www.reuters.com/subjects/income-inequality/washington
>>
File: 1365955619641.gif (21KB, 590x442px) Image search: [Google]
1365955619641.gif
21KB, 590x442px
>>33164432

This is the problem though, as jobs are replaced or removed more and more people are going to be out of work. People that would be employed save for economic conditions.

Are we resigning the country to a financial game of musical chairs with the last industry left takes all?

We have to reconfigure the welfare system in America to account for the new economic climate otherwise we are going to have a country of slums within the century.
>>
File: 1365182455809.jpg (87KB, 973x615px) Image search: [Google]
1365182455809.jpg
87KB, 973x615px
Personally I believe the citizens income to be the most practical and efficient solution we have currently. At the very least implementing a system like this would buy us time to reconfigure our society to the changing economic climate without losing a large portion of our society to the pit that is poverty.

I'd like to hear everyone else's suggestions to this problem though

>Replacing the costly, complex benefits system, a citizen's income is an unconditional payment granted to every individual as a right of citizenship. It's not a high figure – barely enough to survive on alone, and below the minimum wage – but it is designed to prevent all of us from falling into poverty traps. Compellingly, it removes the stigma from state support. There is no difference between a student, a person managing life with a disability, a pensioner and someone struggling to find stable employment if we all share the same basic starting point.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/apr/08/citizens-income-instead-of-benefits
>>
>>33164039
Consumers want lower prices, but don't want to be paid less. Something has to give.

Productivity increases making the relative prices lower, but not raising wages.

This obviously doesn't apply to everything.
>>
File: 1401158197498.gif (2MB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
1401158197498.gif
2MB, 320x180px
Tariffs would fix all of this
>>
>>33165105

I agree, the trend is more for less in basically everything.

The problem becomes how to support this trend as it continues. Either we start having to pay more for products in order to pay the costs for maintaining employment, or we work out a way to ensure people have money to pump into the economy without employment..
>>
>>33165273

America should once again become Isolationist. Obviously with global economics it won't be as simple or clear cut however we definitely need to bring industries and employment back to the States instead of being dependent on the global market
>>
end H1-B visas
>>
>>33165420

I live in an apartment complex and about 75% of the residents here are from India and are here to work for Bank of America. They are even having their rent paid for by BoA while they're here. Easily a thousand jobs or so unemployed americans could be working
>>
It will never happen. But go back to Reagan's tax percentages.

Record profits, but no wage increases. When Joe Biden is/was your poorest senator even he doesn't care all that much about wage increases and/or increased taxes on the rich.

The governor of my state has a new bold plan to... lower taxes on the rich and corporations. Thanks asshole.

10 years ago I had a factory job that paid $12.00 an hour, to keep the job I had to work 66 hours a week at that job. The job now pays $13.00 an hour, but there is no more overtime for 40-55 hours. Only the last 11 hours pay overtime. (12 hour days but minus half an hour for lunch, and two 15 minute breaks.)
12.00 x 40 + 18.00 x 26 = 948
13.00 x 55 + 19.50 * 11 = 929.5

Spending 72 hours a week at a job is not living a life. Plus an hour commute every day. No one represents the average worker anymore.
>>
File: download.jpg (7KB, 252x200px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
7KB, 252x200px
>>33164039
This is misleading, which is unsurprising considering the source.
>>
>>33165662

I'm sorry to hear that although unfortunately it honestly doesn't surprise me anymore..

We need some sort of workers party or just an average american for a change. However since money became free speech those with the money can afford to drown out anyone with actual morals.
>>
>>33163975
Place more restrictions on work visas and stop letting in wetbacks.

And I'm out of ideas.
>>
>tfw those fucking retards with OWS had a chance to bring national attention to income inequality but turned it into oppression politics of race, gender and sexuality
>>
>>33166011

That would go a long way to helping things. But the left/liberals will scream 'Dats Rayciss' and continue to fuck poor middle-class US citizens in the ass with the wetback dick. Of course it doesn't help that the other side of the aisle keeps rewarding companies that freeze workers wages.
>>
>>33166054

I honestly believe it was a clever subversion technique to flood an actual movement with SJW and feminists..

As if wealth inequality isn't the majority of their so called issues anyways.

Simply depressing
>>
>>33165351

America becoming isolationist would hasten the end of the US dollar as the world reserve currency. If you think that America can shun German and Japanese products in favour of their own, and not have serious consequences, you'd be a fool.

Protip: the reason why the US is stagnating has a lot to do with fiscal and monetary policies.
>>
>>33166150

They split us with these bullshit issues to distract us from the only one that matters, the economic one.

We will need to stop immigration, institute strict tariffs, punish companies for hiding money overseas, and reformat the taxcode. Personally I like the idea of a flat tax however there might be a better idea
>>
>>33166194

At this point, I'm not even sure if it was co-opted. Sometimes I think Feminists/SJWs just have to wreck anything headed by straight, white men.
>>
>>33165290
The only way we ever see a stable recovery is if we get away from disposable consumerism.

Things will start costing more, but they should be made in America and made to last.

$30 for a shirt that lasts you five years instead of $15 for a pack of 3 that melts in a few months.
>>
>>33166293

It's nice talk, and all. It can't happen, though. Remember JFK? This country is theirs, and they're bleeding it dry before they abandon it to the spic horde.

I'm going to sit back and enjoy the ride.
>>
>>33166280

Honestly it's not a "today we're cutting off ties with the world" decision. I mean work to make America self-sufficient. Bring industry back, increase public works like education/health/infrastructure, and spend money on innovating because without innovation we will surely stagnate.

I recognize that the root cause of all these issues stems from poor financial policies and such, but they need fixing.
>>
What's not helping this issue is the application of obamacare either

It's essentially going to kill the last remaining scraps of the middle class and prevent the millennials from getting to middle class as well.
Also gonna hit the working poor really bad as well, now that their full time hourly jobs are getting turned into part time hourly jobs

>>33166194
SJW don't like to talk about class issues
Because for the most part, SJW are either upper or middle upper class and are "privileged"(not that they would ever admit that)
>>
burn down wall street, expel bagel to israel, turn off the Iron Dome and let the US military firebomb it harder than Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

you fight cancer with chemo.
>>
>>33166302

My mind simply won't allow for such a depressing reality...

In any case it just means we have to become more organized in our focus so that these fringe groups can't steal the spotlight with their bullshit
>>
File: 99023745793.png (127KB, 634x331px) Image search: [Google]
99023745793.png
127KB, 634x331px
>>33166389

The last president of America
>>
Things seem pretty damn expensive to me already and I don't have children. It's getting to a point where I don't see how I could ever comfortably raise a family.
>>
>>33166305

Agreed. However since these changes go against the market's will so to speak, the government would have to create laws and enforce them again. To do this the government would have to be removed from big business. If that's even possible at this point...
>>
>>33166293

>We will need to stop immigration

Immigration in of itself is not a bad thing, the quality of the immigrants themselves is the question American needs to be asking.

>institute strict tariffs

Nice trade war you're starting. I'm sure punishing the major manufacturing nations because you can't balance a cheque book will go down well. Everything is reciprocal.

>punish companies for hiding money overseas

They do that to escape the retarded taxation of the US.

>and reformat the taxcode. Personally I like the idea of a flat tax however there might be a better idea

Cost of production needs to plummet in the USA. Those niggers you've got on foodstamps should be making socks or something.
>>
>>33163975
Big corporations are pretty bad to work for. You're better off working for a small business if you have the chance too.
>>
File: JFK Gettysburg.jpg (71KB, 574x380px) Image search: [Google]
JFK Gettysburg.jpg
71KB, 574x380px
>>33166637
>>
Yeah when you have a labor supply over-inflated with both illegal and legal immigrants, wages will tend to stagnate. Shrink the labor force by deporting illegals, securing the border, and limiting legal immigration and wages will rise due to market forces.
>>
>>33166728
>Things seem pretty damn expensive to me already
inflation has been going up, especially in food, housing, utilities, and one other category that I can't recall right now.
>>
>>33166755
>Cost of production needs to plummet in the USA. Those niggers you've got on foodstamps should be making socks or something.

I always wondered why we don't institute a New Deal type of program where to be on government assistance you need to work on approved programs. Our above ground telephone/electric wires need burying, roads/bridges need repair, not to mention green energy possibilities of installing solar panels or other energy producers.
>>
>>33166548

Look at what the media has been doing to the TEA Party. Look at what they did to Cliven Bundy. Look at what happened to the original OWS. The minute any movement reaches a point of actually being able to do anything, it gets railed on in the media, and the Feds wreck it beyond all recognition. Nothing short of a revolution is going to save this country and nobody left in America has the grapes. Maybe bread and circus isn't so bad. At least you become so numbed that you wont even care anymore. Like oxygen masks on a plane, we'll go down in flames calm as Hindu cows.

I've really lost all hope.
>>
>>33166305

>disposable consumerism

Cheap disposable stuff and planned obsolescence is a good thing, depending on the application and item. Driving a car for 40 years would mean you miss out on a lot of technological enhancements, such as electronic fuel injection.

If a product is cheap, but does it's intended job once or twice, or even outperforms much more expensive brand name counterparts, it's a superior product.

Your mindset in Union brainwashing.
>>
>>33166847
This.
Why hasn't this happened?

>>33166846
Specifically for me, food seems exorbitantly expensive. Grapes, cherries and meat are getting pricey. It's either spend the dosh on it or adopt a bland, unappealing diet that has poor nutrition and will contribute to future health problems.
>>
File: 1406599355750.jpg (282KB, 950x1824px) Image search: [Google]
1406599355750.jpg
282KB, 950x1824px
>>
>>33166847

Because it's been tried in many municipalities and all these welfare queens turn out to be good for is unskilled labor. In the end it just exasperates the problem they already face with their own children who see no improvement, and end up seeing their parents even less.
>>
>>33166908
Bundy was a freeloading retard. Tea party and OWS were controlled opposition.

What ever happened to Op American Spring? Or muh trucker protest?
>>
File: 1406598890969.gif (194KB, 800x770px)
1406598890969.gif
194KB, 800x770px
>>
File: 20140713_santelli1_0.jpg (29KB, 600x314px) Image search: [Google]
20140713_santelli1_0.jpg
29KB, 600x314px
>>
>>33166755
>Immigration in of itself is not a bad thing, the quality of the immigrants themselves is the question American needs to be asking.

Skilled immigration is just as bad now. All the Indian and Chinese engineers being hires are depressing wages and exploited by corporations who could send them back to whatever third world shut hole they came from at a whim, meanwhile 12 million Stem workers are out of work and every year that number will grow.
>>
>>33163975
Easy. Stop importing 3rd worlders.
>>
>>33166995

>What ever happened to Op American Spring? Or muh trucker protest?

Those were -actual- controlled opposition, and honey pots.
>>
>>33166995
You think Bundy was a retard, Tea Party and OWS were controlled opposition, but you didn't follow the VERIFIABLE controlled opposition in OP Am. Spring or the truckers? What are you, a shill?
>>
>>33166981
but anon guess what!
Food, housing, gas, and utilities aren't counted as part of inflation :^)

so that nice 2-3% increase you see that the government reports isn't really right

honestly, I feel like the Fed really dropped the ball with QE, they have the tiger by the tail but don't know how to stop doing it without wrecking the economy one way or another
>>
>>33166750
You could start with tariffs for offshore products, even ones made by US companies.
Create incentives for expanding domestic manufacturing, paying higher wages, and creating quality and durable products.

It's really a pipe dream though.
>>
>>33165105
>Productivity increases making the relative prices lower, but not raising wages.

Except prices have gone UP on everything since 1989.

>In 1989, the average new car cost $3,500 while a new home averaged $20,000. A gallon of milk was 49 cents while a gallon of gas was 30 cents. A loaf of bread cost 22 cents.

Compare to now, 2014:
Car: $22,000
Home: $180,000
Milk: $4.75
Gas: $4.95
Bread: $2.50
>>
liberals cause the problem, then complain about it, then offer a solution which will only make the problem worse.

the solution is Lower taxes and smaller government.
>>
I know this thread was made to discuss what can be done on a wide, societal level. But what can an individual do to try to keep their head above water? Any advice?
>>
File: 1364412842972.jpg (26KB, 560x296px) Image search: [Google]
1364412842972.jpg
26KB, 560x296px
>>33167185
>>33167153
>>33166728
>>
>>33167185
oh, and if the prices were in line with inflation, here's how they SHOULD be:

Car: $12,000
Home: $40,000
Milk: $1.00 /Gallon
Gas: $0.75 /Gallon
Bread: $0.50
>>
>>33167260
>But what can an individual do to try to keep their head above water?
What's your situation?
be thrifty and jewish as hell
>>
Baseline income, so at least nobody is starving unless they are stupid enough to blow it on frivolity.
>>
>>33166389

What exactly did JFK do? There is a lot of uninformed masturbation about his presidency.

>>33166456

>Honestly it's not a "today we're cutting off ties with the world" decision. I mean work to make America self-sufficient. Bring industry back, increase public works like education/health/infrastructure, and spend money on innovating because without innovation we will surely stagnate.

Industry goes overseas because of the elevated cost of production in the USA compared to say, Asia. Nothing you just mentioned will address this fact, in actuality, more deficit-driven public spending will exacerbate it.

Hell, the trade war you're going to start with the tariffs will end the hegemony of the US dollar.

Please proceed Americlap, I always wanted to see an Empire crumble in my lifetime.
>>
>>33163975
Ill tell you how. The Argentine Solution. Google it.
>>
>>33167232

that completely ignores the impact large corporations have had on this situation through cutting jobs etc for maximized profit. With less government regulation we can only expect that to get worse.

I agree government needs to get smaller and wasteful programs should be cut. The government itself is really just a welfare job center anyways
>>
>>33167260
Live like a pauper, save 30% of your paycheck, and re-invest it in the money market wisely.

money market is the easiest and fastest way to make money, but it's higher risk.
>>
>>33167260
Live below your means, save money, fuck consumer culture
>>
>>33166847

>I always wondered why we don't institute a New Deal type of program where to be on government assistance you need to work on approved programs. Our above ground telephone/electric wires need burying, roads/bridges need repair, not to mention green energy possibilities of installing solar panels or other energy producers.

Because the New Deal didn't work when it was new (see: downturn in 1938), and it sure as shit won't work in 2014.
>>
>>33167299
A welfare society cant exist with mass immigration.
>>
>>33163975
Let it follow to its logical conclusion. Pick up the pieces later.
>>
>>33167489
That's whats going to happen though. The very rich will crash the economy into the ground and leave everyone else to burn.
>>
>>33166937
I'm not in a union and you are right about that.

I'm not speaking universally, I'm talking about a more general shift in attitude.

There will always be a point where you should have to buy something new, but as we are now it would be impossible to more domestic production.
>>
>>33167063

The mass exodus of Europeans post WW2 did nothing to hurt the US economy.
>>
Question: now that wages and their taxes are rising in China, what is the progression of offshoring now? Do they collectively spend multiple billion dollars moving shop to another undeveloped country and ride that out until they too become developed?
>>
>>33166847

They did. LBJ's Great Society failed because poor people didn't show up to workshops and because said workshops paid less than welfare and did not assure a job.
>>
>>33165273
Essentially this, you in-effect subsidize the slave wages of third world nations by raising the prices of the goods and service they make and sell back domestically here to parity with our workers.

That coupled with an implementation of Card Check or repeal of the Taft-Hartley Act which made Right-to-Work State Laws legal.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labor_Management_Relations_Act_of_1947

Those would tackle labor substitution via outsourcing but not automation.

Barring those things, or maybe in spite of them in long-run as a result of automation, we should enact a Basic Income Guarantee to replace all forms of means-tested Welfare & Social Security.
>>
>>33163975
PLUTOCRACY NOW!
>>
File: jfk (1).jpg (39KB, 647x956px) Image search: [Google]
jfk (1).jpg
39KB, 647x956px
>>33167328

Read his inaugural address, its good stuff. Long story short he was a dreamer

>The world is very different now. For man holds in his mortal hands the power to abolish all forms of human poverty and all forms of human life. And yet the same revolutionary beliefs for which our forebears fought are still at issue around the globe--the belief that the rights of man come not from the generosity of the state but from the hand of God.

>So let us begin anew--remembering on both sides that civility is not a sign of weakness, and sincerity is always subject to proof. Let us never negotiate out of fear. But let us never fear to negotiate.

>Let both sides explore what problems unite us instead of belaboring these problems which divide us.

>Let both sides seek to invoke the wonders of science instead of its terrors. Together let us explore the stars, conquer the deserts, eradicate disease, tap the ocean depths, and encourage the arts and commerce.

>And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but together what we can do for the freedom of man.

http://www.copperas.com/jfk/inaug.htm
>>
>>33165068
No it's literally the only solution to fill the gap between now and a time where technology may make production decentralised enough that it benefits the 'everyman', short of going full retard and trying to implement planned economies again or just waiting for a revolution.
>>
>>33167572

Now just you wait a moment, the REASON why there isn't domestic production is because the cost of doing business is too high in the US. It's too high in the UK, Australia and other western countries too.

Manufacturers build obsolescence into their products because many times the labour to repair something far exceeds the value of the item itself.

See: consumer electronics.
>>
>>33167716
>tfw no great US-Soviet Alliance to conquer the stars
>>
>>33167185
Housing is in a bubble right now.
Milk has a price floor.
Gas has government speculators.

It isn't perfect, but it also isn't as black and white market controlled as you provided
>>
>>33167639
i'm curious about basic income: suppose it was passed and everything, are there procedures on how to deliver said basic income without a stop in payments from previously-allowed-welfare?

i could just imagine it being enacted, welfare gone, then for some reason shit goes bad and no one gets money, society burns within a month
>>
>>33167289

Inb4

>B-but the poor can buy electronics and televisions that used to cost thousands of dollars. They're better off than they ever were!

No one cares about that, what's important are the food, shelter, and transportation.
>>
>>33167597

They are already moving to the other South East countries. Anything to save a buck

>More Filipinos — about 400,000 — than Indians now spend their nights talking to mostly American consumers, industry officials said, as companies like AT&T, JPMorgan Chase and Expedia have hired call centers here

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/26/business/philippines-overtakes-india-as-hub-of-call-centers.html?pagewanted=all

>China Manufacturers Survive by Moving to Asian Neighbors

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424127887323798104578453073103566416
>>
>>33167597

>Question: now that wages and their taxes are rising in China, what is the progression of offshoring now? Do they collectively spend multiple billion dollars moving shop to another undeveloped country and ride that out until they too become developed?

Industrialization 101. Rural people will move to the cities and provide cheap labour for the factories, rinse and repeat until China is relatively well off and can produce quality goods. They can in turn offshore some of the shittier industries that pollute China to other areas of Asia.
>>
>>33167616

LBJ's Great Society failed because it demanded too much on public finances in conjunction with the costs of the Vietnam war.

If it wasn't for LBJ, the USA would still be on the gold standard.
>>
File: 1364080937807.png (720KB, 716x692px) Image search: [Google]
1364080937807.png
720KB, 716x692px
>>33167801
>>
>>33167716

I asked for specific policies, not feel good bullshit.

In my mind JFK is known for two things.

1. Eliminating silver certificates.

2. Getting shot in the head.
>>
>>33165923
Elections and voting should be based on what occupation you belong to.

So , for example , the Coal Miners Guild could nominate a few people and they get to vote on who gets to be their representative.

The amount of reps would be based on the number of people in said occupation.

The senate voting would still be based on your residency.
>>
>>33167791
I don't disagree. I'm not claiming to have all the answers to this issue, which is why it is good to hear both sides.

I'm also curious what measures could be taken to allow for more retrofitting and cheaper repairs within the design of the product.

I'm not saying we should be like our grandparents and mindlessly never throw anything away, but we shouldn't mindlessly buy things either.
>>
>>33168167

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_Order_11110#Conspiracy_theory

>President Kennedy was quoted as saying, "How could I have been so stupid?" to trust the groups who were advising him, such as the CIA and the Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS). (2) Even more damning to the CIA was a reputed quote by President Kennedy that he wanted to "splinter the CIA into a thousand pieces and scatter it into the winds." (3)

>Two and a half years after Kennedy supposedly uttered these words, he was assassinated along a motorcade route in Dallas, Texas.

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/jfk_cia.htm

He was about to make some big moves after getting burned by the CIA/Joint Chiefs of Staff. The establishment thought he was getting too reckless in my opinion and couldn't risk him actually doing stuff
>>
>>33168398

So you're effectively saying that Unions reps should be our Congressmen.

Congratulations, you're a fucking retard.
>>
>>33168398

How about a parliamentary style of government like Europe has where the percentage of votes received by each party translates into the amount of seats they hold. Not like the winner take all system we have now
>>
File: prod and comp1.png (17KB, 591x468px) Image search: [Google]
prod and comp1.png
17KB, 591x468px
>>33165698
>>
I think a couple of things would go a long way. First, the government needs to increase spending on things that spur economic development. So, more spending on basic research and more spending on infrastructure. Eliminating or severely reducing patents would likely help spur more innovation and entrepreneurship. The safety net should be reserved for those people who truly need it, and at the same time something needs to be done about the income tax. We shouldn't be subsidizing poverty and taxing income at the same time. If we stop filling up our prisoners with low-level drug offenders we might solve some of the problems inner-city communities see.

Also really basic shit like emphasizing a strong two-parent family and no-nonsense education that emphasizes science, math and writing skills.
>>
The more people a country has, the more the value of labor diminishes

It's that simple. That's why labor is cheap in the 3rd world.

So keep it up with pumping the country full of immigrants while being so retarded to think government can force wages up.
>>
>>33168446

No one ever quotes the actual text of the EO.

>'(j) The authority vested in the President by paragraph (b) of section 43 of the Act of May 12, 1933, as amended (31 U.S.C. 821(b)), to issue silver certificates against any silver bullion, silver, or standard silver dollars in the Treasury not then held for redemption of an outstanding silver certificates, to prescribe the denominations of such silver certificates, and to coin standard silver dollars and subsidiary silver currency for their redemption,' and (b) By revoking subparagraphs (b) and (c) of paragraph 2 thereof.

Oh, and here is Kennedy explaining in his own words his policy on silver.

>I again urge a revision in our silver policy to reflect the status of silver as a metal for which there is an expanding industrial demand. Except for its use in coins, silver serves no useful monetary function.

>In 1961, at my direction, sales of silver were suspended by the Secretary of the Treasury. As further steps, I recommend repeal of those Acts that oblige the Treasury to support the price of silver; and repeal of the special 50-percent tax on transfers of interest in silver and authorization for the Federal Reserve System to issue notes in denominations of $1, so as to make possible the gradual withdrawal of silver certificates from circulation and the use of the silver thus released for coinage purposes. I urge the Congress to take prompt action on these recommended changes.

Before this time, coinage and small bills were backed by silver. He was actually advocating the elimination of silver from the monetary system, enhancing the Federal Reserve's monopoly on our currency.

And retards like you lap up whatever conspiracy theory Jim Marrs and Oliver Stone serve up.
>>
>>33168000

True, the lack of funding was a serious blow as well.
>>
>>33164711
Huh.... At least change the words a bit, luddite.
>>
>>33168914

>The more people a country has, the more the value of labor diminishes

That's not true. Growth just needs to outpace the level of immigration. Sure you can cut the labour pool for an artificial boost in wages, but that does nothing to fix the fundamentals.
>>
File: douglas-macarthur.jpg (22KB, 500x340px) Image search: [Google]
douglas-macarthur.jpg
22KB, 500x340px
>>33169125

>True, the lack of funding was a serious blow as well.

You're a fucking idiot. I don't even know why I come here anymore.

LBJ's Great Society was a gimmedats for niggers and spics, we're living with the consequences of many of his policies right now.
>>
>>33163975
Resource based economy.
>>
>>33169597

Fuck off Jim Profit.
>>
>>33169649
Rothbard pls
>>
>>33169747

>implying I'm a kike

Nice try.
>>
File: Income vs. GPD 2014.png (36KB, 774x558px) Image search: [Google]
Income vs. GPD 2014.png
36KB, 774x558px
>>33168773
http://research.stlouisfed.org is always a fun tool to play with.
>>
>Conservative and liberal economists agree on many of the forces

IT'S FUCKING HAPPENING! DAY OF THE ROPE PLS.
>>
>>33168496
That doesn't seem likely as only 11% of Americans belong to an union .
>>
>>33169898
>household median income drops even faster after the recession
>>
>>33168612
Not a bad idea
As Americans we are effectively ruled by lawyers guild , having people vote for people in their own occupation would give a better reflection of the general population
>>
>>33170083

Still, society would be inverted. Janitors would have more representation than doctors.
>>
>>33163975
Obviously it was caused by a sudden epidemic of lazy people. Everyone needs to stop being so entitled, pull on their bootstraps, walk into that store, look the manager in the eye and shake his hand.
>>
>>33168431
>I'm also curious what measures could be taken to allow for more retrofitting and cheaper repairs within the design of the product.

The same is true for making products recycable, if developers considered that they could both make the product easier to recycle as well as streamlining types of products.

Right now you have hundreds of different products, none is like the other, they all have dozens of different materials and often put together in such a way it's almost impossible to recover them.

Longer life of a product is better than any recycling could ever be.
>>
File: Jobless Recovery 2014.png (47KB, 775x558px) Image search: [Google]
Jobless Recovery 2014.png
47KB, 775x558px
>>33170215
BUT MUH RECOVERY
MUH STOCK MARKET RECORDS
>>
Whenever I contemplate the job market and the economy, or read about it, I want to kill myself.
>>
>>33170768
Don't worry, It will get even worse.
>>
>>33166460
>Because for the most part, SJW are either upper or middle upper class and are "privileged"(not that they would ever admit that)

What if their actions then, are just a ruse to protect their asses in case of an uprising? Hmmm indaresting.
>>
>>33170357

>Longer life of a product is better than any recycling could ever be.

Sorry to say bucko, but much of the products on the market today are far superior to those made 20, 30 or 50 years ago.
>>
Don't get a job. Don't sign up for the ZOG.

Easy as that. Bonus points for being able to laugh at the slaves while they're thinking that you are the one losing...

if you want to be employed, at least wait until the Jews are massacred so you can reap a fair share
>>
>>33163975
>rising wealth inequality

Do you get your talking points directly from the white house?

Or, have you considered, your "news" sources are getting their talking points directly from the white house, and you, the good goy, help to virally market these talking points, for free...
>>
Your wages are going to dual citizen Israel-US stockholders.
>>
the accepted goal of a corporation: maximize profit margin for stockholder

the goal of judaism: maximize profit margin

two sides of the same satanic coin

ayn rand = alysa rosenbaum, reputable author and demonic servant of yahweh
>>
File: Jobless Economy 2014.png (33KB, 773x572px) Image search: [Google]
Jobless Economy 2014.png
33KB, 773x572px
>>33170768
Basically the rich won. The stock market no longer correlates to the actual economical conditions of the country. It literally operates on FEELS, and the underlying economy hasn't relied on having a fully employed population for it's growth in decades.

That isn't necessarily a bad thing but policy makers still have this notion that the economy must have everyone working to function and grow. There just isn't enough jobs for the number people who need to work which creates permanent slack in the economy and drags wages down without impacting production at all.
>>
>>33165662
>The job now pays $13.00 an hour, but there is no more overtime for 40-55 hours

if you in America they are violation federal law, sue them
>>
>>33171793
>The stock market no longer correlates to the actual economical conditions of the country. It literally operates on FEELS,

I've been pointing that shit out for at least a few years now and wondered why the fuck no one else realized it. The speculation price shit should've died with the dutch tulips incident.
>>
File: 1405629364309.jpg (37KB, 471x350px)
1405629364309.jpg
37KB, 471x350px
Total compensation is a better metric.

Benefits have become more important over the last 50 years.
>>
>>33166456

cheap natural gas is actually bringing back industry to america and low tax rates in the south

based Bush was an ass, but he was an america ass
>>
>>33171793

The stock market hasn't functioned any other way.

It's always been a metric about how people feel about companies.
>>
>>33163975

Stop illegal immigration, it's a much bigger impact on wages vs outsourcing. Have better trained workforce.
>>
>>33166784

>no seat-belt
>like a boss
>>
File: OK.jpg (20KB, 245x252px) Image search: [Google]
OK.jpg
20KB, 245x252px
>>33163975

1# Tax credits for hiring Americans.

2# Closing the borders.

Fixed
>>
>>33166908
>it gets railed on in the media

nobody watches tv though

the top program has like 3 million views and thats daily show
>>
>>33167185
>>In 1989, the average new car cost $3,500 while a new home averaged $20,000. A gallon of milk was 49 cents while a gallon of gas was 30 cents. A loaf of bread cost 22 cents.

I was alive in 1989 .. I think your numbers are a bit low

gas was like 1 dollar, house was like 80k unless you lived in the sticks
>>
>>33172525

Shh. Stupid people are not allowed to contribute. Go play in traffic.
>>
>>33169898
>household
Welp this is trash.
If you don't k ow why you should go takee a stats course
>>
>>33164432
Nigga, are you for real? So when I spit in your the face, you should just be happy I didnt instead kick you in your ignorant nuts, is that what you are saying?
>>
>>33163975
Peoria fag here, city of Caterpillar. They are in the process of moving. I know many people who work in their factories and they say everyday they go in there is more and more equipment gone.

Cant wait for Peoria/IL to become even more of a hellhole.
>>
>>33167639
>we should enact a Basic Income Guarantee

that will literally cause massive inflation

500 dollar apt will suddenly cost 1000 because there will be a shortage
>>
>>33172525

the top program has more like 10 million to 12 million viewers the walking dead or duck dynasty they go back and forth.
>>
>>33172515
that fixes outsourcing but what about the robots?
>>
>>33172818
Also been screwing their workers over forever. Know a few 50-60 somethings who worked their 30+ years and receive shit pensions, if any.
>>
>>33168167
>>33168446

kennedy was legit
he was heir to a illegal boose fortune and they thought he would play ball , he was an pro american crook, the elite could not have that

but he didn't

his dad was a nazi sympathizer
>>
File: Tom Evil 6.jpg (78KB, 500x416px) Image search: [Google]
Tom Evil 6.jpg
78KB, 500x416px
>>33172864

Tax increases on Robot parts.
>>
>>33172710
Okay find me better sources. It's still adjusted for inflation and isn't an average that can be skewed by outliers.

>>33172827
Not really as you replace many transfer programs that already exist. Also the principal problem has been that increased production no longer requires large numbers of jobs. Automation efficiency is making supply outpace demand and creating a permanent shortage of jobs.
>>
>>33172837

im talking about cable news

not entertainment
>>
File: no need.gif (1MB, 413x224px) Image search: [Google]
no need.gif
1MB, 413x224px
Quite simply, we don't have to. Inequality doesn't matter.

Today, the average unemployed nigger on welfare lives better than the average member of the white working class did in 1900.

Our current society and economy is incredibly productive and successful, and in future it will only be more so. Even the most marginal loser in 2050 will live better than most of us posting on this board. He will have better healthcare, eat better food, and be more educated.

The real issue here though is FREEDOM

The total institutionalization of the majority of the population will completely end modern freedoms as we know them, as most of us will no longer have any means of supporting ourselves and will be reliant on government and charity to support ourselves.

Only a tiny minority will enjoy this privilege - and the relative decline in social status of most people will eventually be formally reflected in the form of government.
>>
>>33172827
My solution is maximum wage. Companies can pay workers whatever they want, but the CEO can only make a certain percentage more than base employee. Lets say, they can only make 25 times what a base level employee makes working full time. So if they have any employees making $20,000, thats a bit above minimum wage, they themselves could only be paid $500,000. And no benefits or perks, only straight up pay, this would be to close any loopholes. And before all you conservitards bitch and moan, "well then no one will work for the top jobs!" BULLSHIT. People do lots of bullshit for the value of power and prestige as much as money. And if they wont do for that price, I sure as hell fucking will. There are plenty of people stuck in middle management hell who would gladly take that pay raise.
>>
>>33173262

im talking about all those basement dwellers who will suddenly have enough money to move out of the basement with guaranteed income

there is not enough houses/apartments to hold them so it will drive prices up

3d printed houses though would fix the problem
>>
>>33163975
raise tariffs, tax offshore operations, tax production.
>>
>>33173364
Not enough houses to hold them. Apparently this dumbshit doesnt realize how many empty houses we have sitting around this country
>>
>>33173324
>He will have better healthcare, eat better food, and be more educated.

ya all that stuff has gone to shit in America since 1950's when everyone had jobs

what makes you think its going to be better now?
>>
>>33173348
>Companies can pay workers whatever they want, but the CEO can only make a certain percentage more than base employee

I've actually had that same idea

its a different approach to the owning the mean of production

better yet would be each employee owns a percent of the company when he is hired and gets a cut of the profits

but that would just cause CEO's to hire less people so he spends less on employees overall
>>
>>33173421

ya but someone with a guaranteed income is not going to be able to afford them

i mean... why are those houses not for rent right now? because the banks bought them up and are sitting on them will all the free TARP money
>>
>>33173512
Automation will lead to incredible efficiency and the costs of most goods and services will come down.
>>
>>33173364
Alright, but that would also depend on the level of BIG set. If it were set a level of prevailing local living income you'd probably would not see any "pseudo-gentrification".
>>
>>33173620
Either way, I believe innovative solutions like these are our only economic hope, but conservitards who cant see past their own tiny dicks would fight it every step of the way
>>
>>33173683
>why are those houses not for rent right now?
because the price of housing is higher than it was before 07
Which is due to people speculating on the housing market, so it makes sense for the banks to sit on the homes
>>
>>33166847
A republican candidate suggested this a few years ago. She was absolutely lampooned for it. They compared her to a plantation runner, a gender traitor, and I remember one publication calling her a bitch.

They then shifted the argument to "ARE YOU SAYING EVERYONE WHO IS ON WELFARE IS LAZY!!?!?!?"

Newt suggested schools farm out minimum wage jobs like janitorial work to students over summer. They called him a nigger hater and bashed him to death over it.

You EVER suggest work, and the liberals will have you over the fire so fast it will make your head spin.
>>
>>33174138

ya no

the banks paid less then they are worth becaue they got free gov money for them

we did the opposite of what ice land did

ice land just gave money to each person who had a mortgage to pay 20% of what they owe

we gave the banks X amount to pay off their loss on each house basically
>>
File: 1406603725860.jpg (230KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
1406603725860.jpg
230KB, 1280x853px
as an ultra-leftist this is good news. Marxism is too tainted with the bourgeois/protestant idea that 'work is good'

There is going to be a tough middle time, where I think we should have a guaranteed income/housing/food. Similar to socialized medicine - food/housing should be socialized too - Using the exact same arguments.
Then we will move to a post-work world where everyone will just spend their time at leisure. This will be the death blow to liberalism/conservatism/capitalism (all three are essentially synonymous btw)

Bertrand Russell had a short relevant essay on this:
"In Praise of Idleness" which you should all read.
>>
Cat pays good wages though
>>
>>33174344
>liberals

I think you mean democrats
>>
>>33174742
Leftist.
>>
>>33174813
Most leftists that identify as democrats aren't liberal.

see also,
the entire Barrack Obama presidency
>>
>>33163975
I'm too lazy to read the thread. have we come up with a way to blame conservatives yet?
>>
why dont we just get rid of money

we're not ferengi
>>
>>33174991
Rich people. 1% ers, Greed/ Tax breaks, corporations doing corporationy things, Bush, yadda yadda yadda

You know the drill.
>>
>>33163975
You don't because if you want cheap goods this is what you do to get them.

Try and tell every fat fucking American their DishTV subscription is going to triple because we are going to increase our workers wages.
>>
>>33164039
>>33163975
Their wages have flatlined because they get benefits which have their own wealth. That's what employers provide you instead of a higher wage.
>>
>>33174991
funny how you don't even have to read the comments to know whats going on in a thread like this
>>
5% of Americans make enough to retire on!
95% of Americans are dependent on the government to even live!

95% of the population then is essentially a waste.

What do you do with your waste in your house. You throw it away.

Ill let you think about that for a second
>>
>>33175255
I know, it's not like society exists to serve the needs of people.

People exist to serve society, why is that so hard for everyone to understand?
>>
>>33163975
>>33164039

The problem with the economy is that we have more workers than we have jobs available, and it's only getting worse.
>>
>>33175423
rolls eyes
shakes head

I am but 1 man who understands exactly what you are trying to say. It sucks but I guess I'm on your side now.

Don't you feel bad about the people that wont make it though?
>>
>>33174570
What I want to happen:
-Basic income implemented
-Free food and housing available
-I get to move by the coast and spend all day surfing
-Borders are secure, the US takes isolationist policies.

What I think will happen:
-Evangelicals will keep praising "hard work" your SUPPOSED to work hand. People who don't work hard are sinners! etc.
-Jobs will keep disappearing
-Conservatives will keep blocking bills for basic income
-Massive poverty, no jobs
-Many people will survive on the "underground economy" setting up home businesses, selling drugs, prostitution.

As for my future. I'm 27, no job, only source of income is selling stuff online on Amazon, I'm basically what I describe above, someone who survives in poverty in the "underground economy."
>>
>>33175962
>-Basic income implemented
Inflation, job loss.
-Free food and housing available
Shit food and shit housing will be available.
-I get to move by the coast and spend all day surfing
>-Borders are secure, the US takes isolationist policies.
LELELELEL
>>
>>33175962
>MUH BASIC INCOME

Why do you believe you are entitled to income that you do not generate yourself?
>>
>>33176190
>income that you do not generate yourself?

Like dividends, returns from shares and most forms of finance?
>>
Thread now being derailed by kike cocksuckers. I'm out.
>>
>>33176190
If people keep dropping out of the economy the situation will continue to snowball.

How is capitalism going to function when the consumers are all unemployed growing food in their backyard?
>>
>>33176334
This is hate speech and in a few years will get you put in jail and maybe even killed.

No one has said anything racist in this thread.

Why did you?
>>
>>33176261
>Like dividends, returns from shares and most forms of finance?

Not at all because to have dividends you HAVE TO HAVE MONEY TO INVEST. If you do not generate and income to be taxed why are you entitled to others income?
>>
>>33176261
Best reply I've seen for a while.

You're a clever fella. Not sarcasm.
>>
>>33176418
>How is capitalism going to function when the consumers are all unemployed growing food in their backyard?

But that's not going to happen. This neet fantasy will never happen. Work is good and work gives you purpose no matter what the work is.

I don't know what kind of parasite infected your brain but if you truly are happier doing nothing and only consuming you are a piece of shit.
>>
>>33176190
>Why do you believe you are entitled to income that you do not generate yourself?
That's a pretty loaded question. This is the type of friction that I expect from conservatives, to try to make me feel guilty for taking money from others.

I feel no guilt from taking money from others, I'm already on MediCal and I don't feel a shred of guilt about it.

Basic income is going to be necessary if most of the jobs are automated in the future. A country where most of the population is starving, homeless, and have to sell their bodies to survive isn't going to be very stable. Capitalism can't keep running if most of the consumers are too poor to buy things- they will just grow their own food, barter, and buy used items.
>>
>>33176568
>he's so clever because he forgot that people invest their money to receive dividends and sometimes they even lose money
>>
>>33176652
>I feel no guilt from taking money from others, I'm already on MediCal and I don't feel a shred of guilt about it.

That's okay. You're a piece of shit that contributes nothing to society. You created a no-win scenario in your brain to excuse you sloth and laziness because you think you're a victim.
>>
>>33176190
Why do you think politicians are entitled to income that they do not generate themselves?
>>
>>33176618
I disagree with the whole "muh work" thing everyone hates their dead end anthive jobs and would rather be doing something else. But I wasn't speaking in support of basic income anyway.

I was just mentioning the system is falling apart.
>>
File: A1OP2mocQ7L[2].jpg (1MB, 1600x2392px) Image search: [Google]
A1OP2mocQ7L[2].jpg
1MB, 1600x2392px
>>33176618
>But that's not going to happen. This neet fantasy will never happen
This is already happening in many parts of the world and the US. Its called the "underground economy" or "shadow economy" when people set up untaxed legal and illegal home businesses just to survive.

If people don't have conventional jobs, they will find ways to survive, doing things like growing their own food, selling drugs, prostitution, home based restaurants.

Basic income is designed to make people live comfortably without the need to sell drugs and break the law for a living. I don't want to live in a country where my neighbor is selling drugs and running a brothel out of his house.
>>
>>33163975
You first must stabilize money. Fiat and cheap credit are abused by the corporate well connected. It needs to be scrapped for a commodity backed currency.

The government needs to get out of taking massive profits. Cut taxes and incentivize worker pay. Or get rid of the IRS totally.

Stop protecting major companies from lawsuits from polution. When I say get the government out that means no longer babysitting companies and killing competition and competitors.
>>
>>33167819
I grow my own food, use solar energy, and drive a motorcycle.

Really, the most expensive thing is healthcare, but even its not bad because I buy decent insurance.
>>
>>33172330

Thank George. P Mitchell, not George W. Bush. Bush didn't do shit to spur the natural gas boom.
Thread posts: 191
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.