[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this worth it? I don't have a standard prime lens, and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 7

File: lns.jpg (46KB, 918x351px) Image search: [Google]
lns.jpg
46KB, 918x351px
Is this worth it? I don't have a standard prime lens, and am a poorfag. Need something for portraits.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
PhotographerScott
Image-Specific Properties:
>>
>>2763314
Yep

Next time use gear thread for gear related stuff.
>>
>>2763314
It's good for some things, and bad for others, and knowing what we know about you (literally nothing at all) I'll say, sure! Get two!
>>
>>2763315
Couldn't find one, which is odd, for /p/
>>
>>2763314
Yup, it's super great for the money.
>>
with macro rings for 1:1 marco gives fucking poor image qualitty everywhere except the very centre
>>
>>2763314
Do you have a FF or crop sensor?

Either way, though, that's a pretty good deal, you might as well go for it.
>>
>>2763327
>ctrl+f gear thread on catalog
>7 results

you what
>>
>>2763314
I would personally recommend the STM version (as opposed to this, which is the II version).
The STM has a closer minimum focus and a faster motor. It does have an electronic focus wheel though (meaning that you can't change the focus when the camera is turned off, but it's also not mechanically connected to the focus motor), which has its advantages and disadvantages.
And yeah, gear thread.
>>
Stop being poor and get this instead: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CANON-compact-macro-50mm-f-2-5-LENS-s387-/321998461238?hash=item4af89a9936:g:y-wAAOSwoydWnw3E
>>
>>2763314
Meh. You'll get what you pay for. I've used it, and it feels realllly cheap. But on a budget its alright.

Auto focus is surprisingly good. But the lens is really soft.

Personally I'd save up and get something that'll last.
>>
File: canon50f18stm.jpg (17KB, 388x388px) Image search: [Google]
canon50f18stm.jpg
17KB, 388x388px
>>2763314
>Is this worth it?

Yes but get the new one.
>>
File: lol.png (16KB, 508x320px) Image search: [Google]
lol.png
16KB, 508x320px
>>2763394
>>
>>2763314
its still a good value but canon's newish 40mm pancake is much better for the long haul. its much sharper (among canon's sharpest lenses ever made), obviously much smaller and more professional, less obtrusive and obvious, and has a very fast AF motor. al of these traits are much more valuable than bokeh.

the only thing the nifty fifty has over the 40mm pancake is the 1.8 compared to the 2.8. but youll learn quickly enough that using the largest aperture possible is gimmicky and the extra stop of light wont save a poorly lit photo. not to mention the 50 isnt even sharp until it hits f/4 anyhow.

you can buy the 40mm refurbished for $150. its a no brainer.
>>
File: niftithfiftith.jpg (431KB, 1492x995px) Image search: [Google]
niftithfiftith.jpg
431KB, 1492x995px
>>2763314
I actually have that lens for my xsi. It suffers from some barrel distortion I think at the lowest aperture and it's fuzzy around the edges. Probably would be decent for you.

pic related random snapshit with lens

Camera SoftwareGoogle
>>
File: IMG_4276.jpg (99KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4276.jpg
99KB, 1000x667px
It's still probably my favorite lens I've ever shot with

Great for snapshitting around and 1.8 really gives you those needed extra stops in low light situations, especially since canon usually suffers from high noise on the higher ISOs

Also dat bokeh

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 550D
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.6 (Windows)
PhotographerThomas Leinz
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.8
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2015:08:14 20:13:36
Exposure Time1/800 sec
F-Numberf/2.8
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating100
Lens Aperturef/2.8
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeSpot
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length50.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
File: 17wdhstvcb8e5jpg.jpg (68KB, 500x380px) Image search: [Google]
17wdhstvcb8e5jpg.jpg
68KB, 500x380px
>>2763800
>Very good!! Condition!
>>
>>2763800
>there is mixture of mold
>I may influence photography

muh sides
>>
>>2763836
>dat bokeh
it's busy and looks like it has some fringing. IT's rather poor really.
>>
>>2765816
90 bucks mane
>>
>>2763790

Not OP but I will say this;

Have you used that updated 50? I hear it has a stepper motor and focus-by-wire. I hear that focus-by-wire is okay on SLR lenses.

I have ample experience with mirrorless FBW lenses and really hate it. I much prefer mechanically coupled focus. If this new 50mm has a wire then I would be wary.
>>
>>2763314
yes

then after you do that go buy dozens of $20 vintage manual lenses along with a $30 adapter

then you only need to pay $20 each time you want to dick with a focal length

>go to pawnshop
>randomly find f2 200mm for $15
alright
>>
>>2763314
Can you be slightly less of a poorfag and save up to $300 (cheaper if used at like https://www.keh.com/shop/canon-ef-50mm-f-1-4-usm-standard-medium-telephoto-lens.html )
Then please do yourself a favor and get the 1.4

The focus ring on the 1.8 is absolute, unremitting trash and horrible to use. There's the plastic build to the 1.8 too which is just meh (not bad, but I don't like the feel). The focus ring is the absolute deal breaker for me because there will be times you will want to manually focus and the 1.8 is BAD for that.

For a little more money, you get a far better build quality, slightly faster lens, and a useable focus ring.

If you're a poorfag whose gotta do what a poorfag's gotta do, then yeah, 1.8 it.
>>
>>2766099
but the old 50's MF ring was god awful.
>>
>>2763314
yes i fucking love mine. i have the stm version amazon for 125
also its bokehlicois as drtv would say
>>
File: niftyfifties.jpg (1MB, 1920x960px) Image search: [Google]
niftyfifties.jpg
1MB, 1920x960px
I own all three of the EF 50mm f/1.8s (OG, II and STM). The STM is by far the best of the three, in every circumstance in terms of sharpness, Bokeh (7 rounded aperture blades). flare control and overall IQ.

But for manual shooting, the 1987 OG version gets that gong (STM has focus-by-wire/bad for manual focusing).

Honestly, there is no reason why you have to settle for the II version, which has the same IQ as the OG version, but shittier build quality and just completely inferior compared to the STM version, considering the $20~30 price difference between the two.

The silent STM auto-focus is a Godsend (again, except for manual shooting).

tl;dr; STM > OG MK I >>>>>>>>>>>>> SHITTY MK II

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 6D
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS6 (Windows)
PhotographerRay Neal Caird
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.8
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution300 dpi
Vertical Resolution300 dpi
Image Created2016:02:11 17:51:27
Exposure Time1/30 sec
F-Numberf/2.8
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating3200
Lens Aperturef/2.8
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length63.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1920
Image Height960
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
>>2763800
>I may influence photography
Indian camera seller should be your muse anon
>>
>>2766130

I don't think it was that bad, a bit jumpy and dry but not terrible

. I don't even shoot Canon I was just chiming in that newer doesn't always mean better. I shoot the Nikon 50 1.4G and I wouldn't trade it for any stepper motor focus by wire gizmo; not unless major changes have been made recently.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.