[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

are there any benefits in shooting in black and white directly

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_6013-2.jpg (75KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6013-2.jpg
75KB, 1000x667px
are there any benefits in shooting in black and white directly in the camera and not doing it in Lightroom?

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 700D
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 6.0 (Windows)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.8
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2016:01:28 23:30:28
Exposure Time1/80 sec
F-Numberf/1.8
Exposure ProgramAperture Priority
ISO Speed Rating6400
Lens Aperturef/1.8
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeSpot
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length50.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
For digital, no.
>>
For digital, yes.

It aids in previsualization and abstraction of the scene as you shoot.
>>
>>2755361
>It aids in previsualization

This, really.
>>
>>2755346
>are there any benefits in shooting in black and white
fix'd your question

and the answer is no
>>
>>2755361
complete marginal benefit compared to the costs when you decide you want to see what color would look like.
>>
>>2755387
insignificant marginal benefit i mean.
>>
>>2755387

You see in color, m80.
>>
>>2755361
>>2755369
I get that. Sometimes I'll shoot with a black and white camera profile, but I record raw. Best of both worlds.
>>
>>2755346
Shoot in raw with a b&w camera profile, then convert the raw to b&w using your own color balance.

It should display a b&w image in the live view, and you can use the color information to simulate colored filters (which no one wants to carry around and switch them mid-shoot anymore).

If you have a DSLR or optical viewfinder you'll either have to use live view or learn to see in black & white.
>>
>>2755464
>If you have a DSLR or optical viewfinder you'll either have to use live view or learn to see in black & white.

Or look at the photos after you've shot them, like any sane person.
>>
File: chimping.jpg (115KB, 453x580px) Image search: [Google]
chimping.jpg
115KB, 453x580px
>>2755484

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareACD Systems Digital Imaging
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72
Vertical Resolution72
Image Created2007:03:05 18:02:02
Image Width453
Image Height580
>>
>>2755601
>Le chimp meme
Film fags will always brag about inferior tech won't they?
>>
>>2755608
You should know what you want your photo to look like before you actually take it. How else are you going to take a good photo, by chance?
>>
>>2755610

>chimping is bad
>live view/evf is okay

lol alright
>>
>>2755624
That has nothing to do with cameras. I didn't say anything at all about cameras or film or viewfinders, I only posted >>2755610

You don't even need a camera to come up with a good photo, you just need the camera to record it for you.
>>
>>2755629

Your post had no practical application and I feel like it came from a place of inexperience and unfounded preconceptions.

Before there was digital, there was Polaroid. Even the most experienced super artists and top tier commercial photographers burned through them like dollar bills at a strip club. Literally no one knows exactly how every photo is going to look before they shoot it. If they did, you wouldn't need 36 exposures to a roll. Bracketing wouldn't be a thing. Contact sheets would be an exercise in frivolity. Image review has always been, and will always be, an integral part of the process. Process is a key part of that phrase, by the way. A great photo isn't just "click, boom, done". It's a process, with several (or dozens) of steps.

By the way, the guy who coined the phrase "chimping" was just a crusty old curmudgeon who thought digital wasn't going anywhere. He shoots digital now, almost two decades later, and I guarantee he chimps like a motherfucker.
>>
>>2755346
Only if you cannot imagine how the picture will look like in b&W

What you can do (if your camera allows it)

Use the settings so the cam safes two versions of a picture: A BW jpeg and a regular RAW. So you can have the best of both worlds (but you'll need a larger SD card)
>>
>>2755346
Dedicated b/w digital cameras (all 2 of them lol, though conversions can be performed) have a higher resolution and IQ because there are no colour-differentiating filters on top of the matrix. Plenty of articles ablut that online, more specific/technical.

On a normal digital cam? No, unless you wanna preview the shot this way.
>>
I shoot B/W in camera on Fuji. It's just a force of habit but I'll just slide over to another custom mode if I don't want B/W in the viewfinder. I always just shoot RAW&JPEG anyway so it's easy enough to just use colour if I want to.

>>2755608
>shoot digital
>turned off image review
>LCD turned off
>EVF set to proximity only

Every time I go out shooting with my buddy I watch him take a shot, take his camera away from his eye, look down at the screen, grunt then raise it back up to his eye to take a second shot which he does the same for. He misses the third shot in the middle because he's chimping.
>>
>>2755610

sports photography doesn't work that way. you do everything right but you can still miss the shot.
>>
Something I haven't seen posted yet is that shooting B&W in camera can help determine focus and sharpness a lot easier.

Without color, we tend to focus on texture, lines, and light/shadow. Focusing on those helps us see if our focus is slightly off (ie; lines of the eye, texture of the lashes, etc), how the scene is truly lit (ie; in camera, the left side background is brighter than it looks to our color vision), and other anomalies in how our vision perceives things, and can be tricked.

Shooting in B&W has more positive benefits than most people realize. Plus, with RAW you can go back and see color, or B&W.

No reason not to try it out for a couple weeks and see how you like it.
>>
>22 posts
>Ctrl+F
>"Color filters"
>0 results

Oh how the mighty have fallen.
>>
>>2756460
>doesn't comment on the absolute lack of photos, merely the lack of people talking about gear.
Oh how the Sugar have stayed exactly the fucking same.
>>
File: notearshannibal.png (135KB, 500x271px) Image search: [Google]
notearshannibal.png
135KB, 500x271px
>>2756460
Nice rekt by Suga....
>>2756461
S A V A G E
A
V
A
G
E
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.