[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What kind of camera and retouch is this photographer Kalle Gustafsson

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 7

File: hackett_tennis_.jpg (485KB, 1140x760px) Image search: [Google]
hackett_tennis_.jpg
485KB, 1140x760px
What kind of camera and retouch is this photographer Kalle Gustafsson working in his photos of Hackett campaigns? Love it… would like to come close to a result like that!
>>
File: hackett_car.jpg (345KB, 1140x760px) Image search: [Google]
hackett_car.jpg
345KB, 1140x760px
another example of the "look" ..
>>
>>2748017
Pretty much any camera with a telephoto lens. The processing is a lot of the look. You want soft but directional light, good fill for the shadows, and muted colors in your scene.

For processing, the skin looks painted in in the first image, so frequency separation and a low opacity brush for the colors you want (in this case, a bit far to the magenta) to unify the tones). Lower the overall saturation a bit on the entire image.

Very similar steps for the second image, but the black and white points have been compressed quite dramatically.
>>
>>2748021
thanks alot, it explains it pretty good. ill take notes of this! would u consider a canon 5d m3 + 70-200mm 2.8 setup be good for this in order to achieve a close result? and how much time do you think approx is put into the processing of an image with this look? ..im trying to compare my earlier works with how you could work otherwise.. thx
>>
>>2748032
>and how much time do you think approx is put into the processing of an image with this look?

4 or 5 hours per image.
>>
>>2748021
also, sorry..but black and white points compressed? what does that mean? does it have to do with settings made with Threshold ? Im still unfamiliar with that thing..
>>
>>2748033
>4 or 5 hours per image.
Are you serious? It takes me like 10 minutes max to process an image.

Then again, I feel like I'm doing it wrong all the time.
>>
>>2748034
For that, you'll open up a levels tool, and along the bottom, there's a bar that shows your tonal range. On the ends, there are your black and white points, and when you drag the black point up, it will raise your black point. If you drag your white point down, it'll bring the highlights down. It compresses the tones in the image, so that the brightest points in the image are still well below "white" and the darkest points are above "black" for that "instagram fade"
>>
>>2748035
100% guaranteed you've never produced an image that looks like the OP.

It takes time to do it perfectly, with lots and lots of different layers, masks, gradients, brush strokes, healing with a pen and tablet, etc.
>>
File: step-dodge.png (94KB, 600x345px) Image search: [Google]
step-dodge.png
94KB, 600x345px
>>2748035

Keep in mind that high end retouching has just as much in common with painting as it does with photography. These guys aren't just running a vsco preset and fuck with the sliders until it looks good enough. They're painting in tiny little details on the dodge and burn masking, painting over imperfections, adjusting hue, softening some details and sharpening others.

Pic related is a typical mask for a dodge adjustment layer for a professional retoucher.
>>
>>2748017
>>2748018
Hey OP, you asked twice about a camera, which tells me you will not shoot anything similar in any near future.

You can achieve similar tones with PS NIK plugs presets like Analog Efex 2. I had some of my pics get similar tones when I was using that more often. Don't forget to FADE bruh
>>
>>2748041
Well, no of course I haven't. I usually fuck with the sliders and graphs in Lightroom until I like it.

>>2748043
Jesus Christ that's horrifying.
>>
>>2748051
>Jesus Christ that's horrifying.
You know how all the time, we get those threads that say photography isn't art because all you do is point a camera at a trash can and post it to Facebook?

Things like this are why actual photographers are laughing at stuff like that.
>>
>>2748043
how can I learn more about that? Any pointers you would recommend?
>>
>>2748077

1) Set a reasonable timeframe for yourself. You aren't going to learn this shit in a month. Give yourself at least a year to get good at it.
2) There are a fuckton of tutorials on the internet. Start with the retouching stuff.
3) Be patient, and find a good community that will help you. /p/ used to be good for that stuff, but isn't anymore.
>>
>>2748081
/p/ was never good.
>>
>>2748274

Maybe not, but there was more information on retouching (as well as semi-regular retouching contest threads) back da gay sexxy photoshop was posting.
>>
>>2748047
I will, end of Jan in Milano do similar menswear shoot, so yes.. but I am just curious about alternative solutions surrounding equipment and style variations.. if I should take on medium format, try renting some newer things.. I would like to play around a little but stay around the same result as this - as i think its a really good look for what my client wants.. I got Alien Skin Exposure and have tried out to get close to this result but it is like what others say.. you cannot really achieve that high end retouch if ur not doing it the pro-way without them filters... attached is an image (as example) i took not long ago with just some quick retouch.. (havent gone into detail) and u can tell that it needs more
>>
>>2748505
forgot to post image..
>>
Is there a tutorial or video tutorial for described procedure?
>>
>>2748081
>3) Be patient, and find a good community that will help you. /p/ used to be good for that stuff, but isn't anymore.

this nigga is right. Check the Model Mayhem forums, but even reddit /postprocessing is better.
>>
>>2748734
>Model Mayhem
Ugh...what a shitty place.
>>
>>2748742
>he said, to /p/
>>
File: 1446496024184.png (193KB, 330x319px) Image search: [Google]
1446496024184.png
193KB, 330x319px
>photoshop is art
>shooting photos isn't
holy fuck /p/
>>
>>2750313
Where in this thread have you seen someone say both of those things?
>>
File: image-still-shit.png (3MB, 1740x1063px) Image search: [Google]
image-still-shit.png
3MB, 1740x1063px
been editing some, trying to get close..but still feel im far away from the look i want to achieve - what else u think can be done in order to get it right?
>>
>>2750313
Did you have a stroke? Are you sure you are posting in the correct thread?
>>
File: 1453472142214.jpg (998KB, 1740x1063px) Image search: [Google]
1453472142214.jpg
998KB, 1740x1063px
>>2750603
Well quit saving as .png for one.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC 2015 (Windows)
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2016:01:22 09:36:39
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width1740
Image Height1063
>>
>>2750603

lower saturation
>>
>>2750616
thx noticed.. anything else i can improve? love the feedback. thx
>>
>>2750627

this
>>2750616
is not me
>>2750614

Saying "lower saturation" is pretty worthless advice. The skin has quite a bit of saturation, as does the shirt. SELECTIVElY lowering saturation to simplify the tones in the image, and unify the overall look is what you need.

here's the PSD for >>2750614
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mt8c7wta01ab6qf/1453472142214.psd?dl=0

It's not all the way to the OP photos, because I don't have the raw file and four hours to work on it, but it can give you some ideas.

The first step is finding a scene that matches the look you're going for. Similar tones in the scene, the same lighting intensity and contrast, etc. The image you added is a fairly good match for the OP photo, minus a bit of contrast in the facial lighting, but it doesn't match well with the more blue car image, because the lighting is much more open and bright.
>>
>>2750630
whoaa thanks. ill look into that, altough I must say that because of my image is so much more open and bright.. it would be a mistake trying to copy the look ive been talking about all the way.. it doesnt really fit, maybe your psd on 50% on the work ive done so far.. could be a nice mix and final result. thanks alot appreciate this
>>
>>2750643
No problem. I hope it really does help. Don't just use it as a preset though. The adjustments made apply to that image only, as there are a lot of specific color selections involved. The saturation drop, for instance, is not a global thing. I specifically selected the distracting hues in the pool, and lowered them, and the same with the bush. Two selections, one for the leaves, and one for the flowers. So applying that exact layer to another image with different colors would not have the desired effect.

You need to approach each image with control and intent. See which tones you want to stand out, and which ones you want to accentuate. Look at individual light levels, and variances, and work to smooth them out, or bring them forward. Respect your images by giving them the time they deserve. Be delicate and surgical. Use masks, and blend/if sliders, and luminosity masks. Etc.

This is of course after you put a LOT of effort into capturing the scene, with correct lighting, scene selection, background choices, etc. Every decision you make should support the final result of the image.

If you want your photo to look like a rich guy's tennis scene from the 20s-30s-40s, where would he be? What would he be wearing? How would he stand? What expression would be on his face? What colors would be present in the frame? What mood does that sort of scene carry with it? etc.

In the photo that we were trying to make look like the OP, in stead of trying to force a circle into a square hole, think in stead, who is this guy? What is he doing there? What's he thinking? What does this make me feel? What do I want the viewer to feel about him? Is it playful? The bright colors behind him would suggest happiness and confidence. Innocence and confidence, etc. So play to those feelings.
>>
>>2748017
he looks like a nazi
>>
>>2748507
he also looks like a nazi
>>
>>2750666
lots of great tips..will keep all of this in mind and continue to improve.. thx
>>
>>2750666
also, i think id like to post my end-result. here, if u wanna c&c it later that would mean a lot to me..ciao in the meantime
>>
>>2748033
Nah m8, it takes 4-5 hours to do an image, then 10-60 minutes per every image after. I worked as a high end retoucher for 3 years for all the usual suspects and if you were to be taking 4-5 hours per image you'd last a day. Speed is critical as a retoucher because the more work you do, the more work you get. Also you are the end of the line in the production so by the time the images actually get approved and sent to you the bankrollers are usually pretty anxious to get them out. Also, remember that you are dealing with often 10+ passes on each image as every time you finish the set you send it off, only to have it come back 2 hours later with a bunch more notes on things to change. Rinse and repeat this process for probably 2 days per brief with 5 briefs on the go at the same time and you can see why speed will be a big factor in your success.
>>
>>2751028
Spending hours on a single image is not the way to go. Get your photoshop hotkeys and method down right and your processing could be cut down to a minute per image. On cruise ships our weddings were shot on day one, edited and sold the next day. It is phenomenal watching a photographer edit a whole shoot in one sitting.
>>
>>2751069

see
>>2748043

This is not a minute.

this >>2750614
was closer to 5
>>
>>2751069
I'm >>2751028
If you can get through the bulk of your work using hotkeys you're not retouching, you're grading at best.
>>
>>2750614
>dose plump dick suckin lips
>>
>>2750603
Is it de-haze that's giving your Nazi that feint halo?
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.