[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Shallow DoF Travel Portraits = Bad?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: 2015-12-16 Naples-IMG_0395.jpg (193KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-16 Naples-IMG_0395.jpg
193KB, 1000x667px
When taking portraits during travel, would it be bad to be using shallow DoF all the time? For example, I want to take a photo of a person in front of a famous tourist site but if I blur the background, what's the point of taking vacation photos???

Just got back from a trip where I shot all portraits at f/2.8 to f/4.0 and the subjects are complaining that the background is blurred and nobody can tell where they are?? Thanks.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
>>
File: 78320019.jpg (2MB, 3089x2048px) Image search: [Google]
78320019.jpg
2MB, 3089x2048px
>>2737360
well you need to choose what you want your subject to be, whether you want a portrait or a landscape photo. Very difficult to have both in a good photo. Your friends just want a typical shitty holiday photo where they are tiny people at the bottom of the pic in typical shitty poses probably hugging each other with a shitty landmark in the back. That's why I don't take my DSLRs for holidays, take some instax or a 10 bucks film point and shoot instead, pic related

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeNORITSU KOKI
Camera ModelQSS-32_33
Camera SoftwareQSS-32_33 5.01.003 2008.01.15
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width3089
Image Height2048
>>
>>2737360
>the subjects are complaining that the background is blurred and nobody can tell where they are
Well that should give you a clue. If you want to take a portrait in a certain environment it makes sense that the environment should be recognisable. Just because it is a portrait it doesn't mean that everything but the nose and eyes must be out of focus.

Employ a little common sense and remember that the importance of bokeh has been elevated by blogs in order to make you feel inadequate about your lens collection.
>>
Shallow DoF is played out. Its all about f/36 these days.
>>
>>2737434
>f/36
>he doesn't shoot f/64 through a lens of cut diamonds onto a silver gelatin plate blessed by the tears of Christ

why don't you go live in a garbage can
>>
seriously, i like my mf @ f22
>>
>>2737437
>he doesn't shoot f/64 through a lens of cut diamonds onto a silver gelatin plate blessed by the tears of Christ
If you're short on cash you could always just set the shutter speed to 3 years. That should get enough light in.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.