[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is in the world of photography so much envy? I have a friend

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 7

File: GOOD.png (847KB, 925x719px) Image search: [Google]
GOOD.png
847KB, 925x719px
Why is in the world of photography so much envy?

I have a friend who is professional photographer that literally gets mad when he sees a teen using an expensive DSLR camera or someone using wrong the camera.

Does this happen to you too?
>>
>>2736854
I don't get mad, but I do feel some envy whenever I see people with shitexpensive DSLRs and everything set on "auto" while using a shitty kit lens, while I use a Canon AE-1 so that I can buy cheap FD lenses because a similar digital outfit with EF lenses would set me back about 5-10k and I'm europoor.
>>
>>2736854
>>2736854
Photography is probably the easiest art form.

Anyone can pick up a camera and with a couple of weeks of practice, can be proficient. Not good, not talented, but proficient in a technical sense. Imagine if you could just pick up a violin or a paintbrush and become technically proficient in the same span of time. Imagine if you could produce a decent piano composition just a few weeks after laying your hands on one for the first time.

Because of the above, people who consider themselves to be 'good' photographers feel threatened when they see young teenagers not only using the tools of their trade, but making compositions that are not orders of magnitude worse than their own. It makes them feel belittled.
>>
>>2736854
Those who get mad or jealous are insecure, probably because they know they're not really that great. It's as simple as that.
>>
>>2736854
Your friend sucks at photography. I know that without every seeing any of his shit. You know how I know that? Because any halfway competent photographer knows that content and execution are a thousand times more important than gear. It means exactly dildos if some kid has a nice camera. Does that kid have creative, conceptual, well-thought out ideas? Can he execute those ideas? If he can, then great, his camera means fuckall. If he can't, then his camera is irrelevant anyway.

Your friend gets mad at gear because he thinks it gives the kid some advantage that they don't deserve. That alone shows how shitty your friends photographs are.
>>
No, because most DSLRs aren't very expensive.
>>
Firstly I'd say it's this
>>2736875

People who have been into photography a long time like to see they know everything, they don't like it when someone young becomes just as good in a fraction of the time

It's also because photographers respect their hobby, just like any other hobby. They don't like seeing precious things (expensive DSLR's to them) misued. Just how a musician wouldn't like to see an amateur misuse a very precious instrument.

Realistically I don't care, although I'm not a pro, by a long shot. If I see some faggot taking pictures with their phone or compact camera I'm not going to tell them they're wrong. At the end of the day they'll be the ones with the shit pictures.
>>
Honestly, if I had unlimited cash I'd probably buy the best and/or most expensive stuff right out of the gate, too.

Also, I think some of it is perceived stereotypes. Think of leica users.

I still laugh when I see the flash go off on a cloudless summer day, though.
>>
>>2736917
You should be using flash on a cloudless summer day. How else can you fill the shadows, especially in backlight situations.
>>
>>2736922

The particular example I was thinking of, the use of the pop-up flash was clearly accident. There's no way that it would've even reached that far, among other things.
>>
>>2736861
>not using fd lenses on a sony a7
haha
what a fag.
>>
>>2736928
Why would you pop your flash up if you don't want to use it? There is a separate button for it on the side, impossible to push it by accident.
>>
dont really mind teens using dslr's, most of the teens with dslr's i know are pretty decent photographers

the thing i hate is people thinking they know shit, i have this friend that has no idea what shes talking about and asks dumb shit, once she asked how to zoom on my 50mm and i said you cant and she said "why? zooms are better"

almost raged
>>
>>2736854
I don't have social contacts. I only have my GR.
>>
I suck ass and could give a shit less what someone else does with their camera.

you do you buddy.
>>
I find it more funny than maddening. Though to be honest I've never seen a teen using an expensive DSLR. a 3-years old bottom of the barrel Rebel canon is about the fanciest I've seen in the hands of a non-pro.

It's the funniest when you see these blokes playing Nirvana on 10k dollar equipment when I at least try to play some complex shit on my budget guitar. You just know that they're gonna drop the hobby and their parents wasted a load of fucking cash on nothing.
>>
>>2736940

I don't know, ask that rich old lady that took a picture of a man kayaking in the ocean on the most well lit day of the year while having her pop up flash on
>>
I think I only get annoyed when I see bridge cameras, even before I got into photography.
>>
>>2736854
> Why is in the world of photography so much envy?
Too many jealous poors who think their "art" ideology shit doctrines are the best somehow.

Some are apparently so delusional that they think their skills beat gear, and that there is no point to modern high-end gear. You hear nonsense like that P or auto mode or whatever is something that should be avoided rather than a default to pick unless there is reason not to... but this primarily happens because they're so stuck up on using their shit cameras in the first place. It's really quite sad.
>>
>>2736854
>dslr

This is why I shoot film. First the only gearfagging I know is buying a slightly more expensive film. I don't care about lenses anymore and a 50 1.8 is all I need. Next everyone thinks I'm good because lol I shoot film is must be harder right? Until they see my photos and see it is all shit. But then again it removes all the hate and envy I used to get when I was shooting digital. Now I get to concentrate on taking photos and not giving a fuck about others.
>>
>>2737015
>Now I get to concentrate on taking photos and not giving a fuck about others.
This has nothing to do with the camera. Just throwing that out there...

It's like saying chemical castration is great because you can't rape kids anymore. It's not that castration is good, it's just you needed it to solve your own personal mental issues.
>>
>>2737020

comparing shooting a film camera to being castrated is reaching pretty hard
>>
>>2737044
To me it sounds much the same.
>>
>out in public with d5100
>omg thats such a nice camera how much did cost
>>
>>2737064
Usually I just speak english and pretend I'm a tourist. Makes my life easier although I get strange looks when I point out different pricing offered for me in shops.
Fucking thieves think they can charge three times as much just because I know a few english words...
>>
I've only had photographer friends support me, though some can get passive aggressive about it or even stalk me, the behavior is the same with any comm. I do very different art though so they shouldn't feel threatened and generally benefit off what I choose to share. That being said I'm very picky about what I allow to be seen as my work is personal to me, but acting mysterious can come off pretentious to the older fags so I try to give them eye candy, instead of trying to defend myself.
>>
>>2736940
Auto Mode.
>>
>>2736861
I also shoot AE-1 and your attitude is gay as fuck

kill yourself
>>
>>2737165

okay im dead now
>>
>>2737163
It doesn't pop up on its own, there is a latch you have to move by hand.
>>
>>2737169
Not in auto mode.
>>
>>2737170
Mine has a physical only latch, no electronic release. You must be talking about bridge cameras.
>>
>>2737169

>http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3024490

Even a cursory google who show multiple results that you are wrong. There's even setting that will ALWAYS pop up and shoot the flash in auto EVERY time.

I don't know why it's so hard to accept this.
>>
>>2737172

Your camera probably doesn't have an auto mode.
>>
>>2737180
Mine has Green mode. Never used it.
>>
>>2737182

Well, use it in a dark room. The flash will pop up on its own.
>>
>>2737184
It won't, has no electrical release. Manual only.
>>
>>2737187

What camera do you have?
>>
>>2737187
Many cameras can automatically control pop up flash. If yours can't, it's an outlier, because most can.
>>
>>2737006
This, jealous ugly betas become enraged about the fact that they had to scrimp and save for years to afford their shit tier equipment, all the while people from real, loving families can take 10X better quality pics with high end kit.
>>
>>2737189
Pentax K-3
>>
>>2736875

This hit the nail on the head.

I will say that I personally found photography to be much more engaging and fun when I got over my hater phase and could genuinely compliment and admire the work of other people.
>>
>>2737172
You weren't the lady taking the pic. you probably have a different camera.
>>
>>2736854
god, that guy is ugly
>>
>>2736854
literally the same.
it's because these "pro-photographers" used to do the same shit for years and taking the cash until some teens or young artists started photographing or getting paid a little for marriage photography etc. now they all get mad bc some amateur is taking their jobs away.
it's like me being a pro-soccer player...and my neighbours son is kicking like a pro...why would i get mad ? i support that
after all, any teen or hippsterfuck with a camera is advertising...establishing photography into the society.
period... i know pro photographers who agree with this but shit photographers will hate
>>
usually I don't care that much, but always have to laugh at auto popup flash as well.
Went to Vatican city today and from the place in front of St. Peter's Basilica, I saw flashes go off from the top of the dome.
>>
>>2736854
I used to feel the same,until I got into studio and multiple artificial lighting and do shit that very few of those short attention span teens can be bothered to learn and achieve.

The problem is they only add their perfect natural light shots to their portfolio, and punters assume they're awesome. Then someone pays them to do a shoot of them and their family, and the time of day and weather is wrong, and the photos appear online and they're shit. Then they lose customers, lose heart, and then pose as a part time photographer when they maybe only pick it up once a month. Thus concludes the birth and end of the common natural light teenage photographer...
>>
I am a a working pro and I do get mad whenever I see a dslr , even my own. It's just too fucking easy now. I miss the view camera days. Even though it was a far far more simple camera I was the high priest under that dark cloth. No one knew what the fuck I was up to under there nor would they ever dream of competing with me with their God damn telephone. Oh well so it goes.
>>
File: image.jpg (509KB, 2500x1745px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
509KB, 2500x1745px
>>2739242
I'm a a working pro and I do get mad whenever I see a camera, even my own. It's just too fucking easy now. I miss the oil painting days. Even though it was a far far more simple medium I was the high priest in the studio. No one knew what the fuck I was up to in there nor would they ever dream of competing with me with their God damn telephone. Oh well so it goes.

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CC (Windows)
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width1719
Image Height1200
Compression SchemeUncompressed
Pixel CompositionUnknown
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Data ArrangementChunky Format
Image Created2014:09:29 16:33:47
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width2500
Image Height1745
Scene Capture TypeStandard
>>
File: fuck this gay earth.jpg (196KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
fuck this gay earth.jpg
196KB, 960x1280px
I'm a Pentax user and I don't feel threatened at all when I see some kid using a Canon 5D Mark III or Nikon 810. What does annoy me is when I see someone who should know better - people who own DSLRs - using their fucking phones, or worse, iPads, as their main photography platform.
>>
I'm guilty of being one of those people in the past; my father's a professional photographer and when he retired and took up a new hobby (interior design) I inherited all his gear (darkroom and studio too which is all in my house). Not to say he simply handed his Hasselblad to me on day one, he gave them to me only if he seen the quality of my work substantial enough to use the gear in question.

Anyways I don't really care if I see younger teens with great gear, the only thing that triggers me is people claiming to be "professionals" or brag about their shitty work. I feel it's a bit insulting knowing they put no effort to study the medium, etc.
>>
Nah more like

>Walking down the street with my cam
>Catch a glimpse of someone with a camera around their neck
>Momentary sheer panic as I think they could have better gear from me
>As I get closer I see they have a Rebel T3 with a kit lens and relief rushes over me
>Smirk internally as a I realize I have better gear than them

>Walking around zoo with Canon 100-400 dust pump I got used for $600
>Takes pretty good shots for the price
>People look at me around the zoo as if I was part of Nat Geo
>Felt powerful desu
>>
>>2739283
I get it but I don't have to like it.
>>
>>2736854
Same as in art. There is a lot of envy.
This is basically because we are wrongly programmed. Instead of comparing (something people with small brains have been doing for years) we should not only talk with each other, but also be open and share our experiences and ideas, in a way that leads the relationship between photographers to walk toward a better understanding and experience of each other.

That is, not counting the pretentious bastards that just want to be better than others. That kind of people have no hope and should be thrown in a bonfire.
>>
>>2736875
There is more in photography that just making "pretty" pictures. Just go to Japan and start shooting pictures in auto. a large % will come very pretty if you know how to turn on a camera.
But there is more than that. In photography you can find yourself. Whenever you take a picture that makes you say "damn I love this picture" that is yourself.
You can also start looking for a concept to focus on and find a style that not even the most well known photographers will be able to replicate.
THAT is being a photographer.

Every one else saing something about people being jelous; in reality they are just off tracked.
If you see someone talking about gear somewhere over 20% of the time, that person doesn't know what photography is about. These people are the ones who get mad with small kids with expensive cameras.
A good photographer will take betterpictures with this anon's gear >>2736861 than a 15 year old with the newest camera/lenses/flash/etc.
>>
>>2736941
I know that feeling, tried telling them there phone doesn't even zoom, they think I'm wrong.
>>
>>2737169
all canon rabals do it
>>
because it is -for the most part- people who don't have dough.

seriously if you think $5/10k a year is a big boy hobby ur straight trippin.
>>
File: 1448057805487.jpg (60KB, 706x706px) Image search: [Google]
1448057805487.jpg
60KB, 706x706px
>>2739329
hey i have a t3 with a kit lens
>>
>>2736854
>I have a friend who is professional photographer that literally gets mad when he sees a teen using an expensive DSLR camera or someone using wrong the camera.

Does he get mad because the kid has better gear than him, or does he get mad that the kid bought an expensive camera and doesn't know how to use it?
>>
>>2739535
>classism
>>
>>2737090
show some of your "different art"
>>
>>2739535
>photography is my hobby

Pro here and I laugh at hobbyist like you. Hobbyist will never be as good as pros and never make it. I get paid as well.
>>
>>2736854
I don't feel envy toward those who just pick up an expensive camera and try to take good shoots... You're being too judgmental if you legitimately think they're taking your business - get good.

The beauty of photography is its democratisation. You can make it as easy as you want or as hard as you want. It averages out to be a fantastic hobby in that sense - its creative, technological, chemical, etc.

I have a couple of photographers copying me in my town. I don't take it in disdain; it is a compliment. They're not taking away any business from me because I know I deliver better results. Anyone that thinks they could achieve the same cheaper aren't my customers, they're not my audience.
>>
>>2739329
>shoots photos at the zoo

lmao
>>
File: 1421524327278.jpg (225KB, 742x720px) Image search: [Google]
1421524327278.jpg
225KB, 742x720px
>>2739740
good for you big boy
>>
>On tour with friends band as photographer
>Arrive in Buffalo for small music fest
>Taking dumb pics of band while we wait around to load in
>Random guy walks up with his camera
>Asks me shit load of basic questions on how to work his camera
>Find out he got paid to shoot the fest
>His pics were starter tier shit

Why is it that clueless people always have connections? It's infuriating.
>>
>>2739867
Because they spend their time talking to people and making connections rather than sitting on the internet learning a bunch of technique and chart math that they will never use or benefit from. Being a photographer is not about the camera, it is about human connection and interaction.
>>
>>2736861
just get refugee status and get it for free
>>
>>2739329
This is sad
>>
>>2739870
Pretty much this. Buuuut you can't deny that skill is still important.
>>
>>2739870
>bunch of technique that they will never benefit from
>technique
>that they will never benefit from

Oh boy.

>being a photographer is not about the camera
lol he didn't say shit about the camera in that post you just responded to. "Being a photographer is about human connection and interaction" lmao get the fuck out, that only applies if you're dealing with people/doing it for pay. Photography is absolutely about the camera and your ability to use it, and making a strawman about a basement dwelling keyboard warrior who shitposts about photography technique online won't change that fact.
>>
Bridge, DSLR - all the same
>>
>>2739740
>I get paid as well
that's kind of a requirement of being pro at anything..
>I laugh at hobbyist like you
why, i'm more intelligent than you, have been to cooler places/have seen more than you, and have a far superior career path. plus i dont have to shoot what some faggot tells me to. youre a bitch to some stuck up slut who wants senior pictures, while im out backpacking through yellowstone or mountain biking in the appalachians
>>
>>2736854
>Does this happen to you too?

No. Someone having a DSLR is no reason for me to get upset because no matter what they are not directly taking any food off my plate so to speak. Why be this insecure?
>>
>>2736854
What you are describe in your friend is not envy. He doesn't wish he had that camera. He probably does. What you are describing is bitterness. From my view there is a lot of that in photography and also a lot of paranoia.

/p/ has it's problems but I'm talking about all the photo blogs. Those places are filled with paranoid people who take anything as a threat. Just look at petapixel. They post stories and people think that makes the value of their job or hobby in danger. Just look at this one form 2 days ago:

http://petapixel.com/2016/01/08/vogue-says-you-dont-need-a-wedding-photographer-i-say-you-do/

They are going insane and publish someone's opinion because a magazine suggested hiring a professional photographer is one of the things you can go without for your wedding. There are articles like that all the time and people think photography is under attack or under threat. These people are always on the defensive and can't let something through. They get so riled up over things they have no effect over.

TLDR: You are right OP except it's not envy, it's paranoia and fright. They get angry for stupid reasons.
>>
File: 1443269124204.jpg (32KB, 366x321px) Image search: [Google]
1443269124204.jpg
32KB, 366x321px
Gear envy story

>>be me a few years back snapping away at surfing competition with battered 1d mk3 and 300 2.8 borrowed because i usually shoot 5x4 or MF
>>some other photographer turns up with one of those super-zoom 50-500mm deals on a 30D or something
>>make no contact
>>starts boasting to his pal loudly that he's left all his good gear at home as he only bring it out on good days after looking at my gear
>>later overhear him say to his pal something to the effect of "probably inherited money from grandparents to buy that camera"

Ever since then i've never taken anyone with those super zoom lenses seriously.
>>
>>2740280
>>2740289

lol clearly the same butthurt poster. where are your awesome snapshits of yellowstone? what's that? you won't post any here because they're too good for us to see? cool story kiddo.
>>
File: bitch.jpg (13KB, 365x118px) Image search: [Google]
bitch.jpg
13KB, 365x118px
>>2741354
>lol clearly the same butthurt poster
nah u just a sad bitch
>>
>>2736854
>Why is in the world of photography so much envy?

Because it is loaded with social prejudices as EVERY other sphere of human activity.

/thread
>>
>>2741328
Because 1 person had extra money to spend?
>>
>>2739415
This touched my feels.

>>2739664
You've seen it if you're an oldfag. Had an anon almost die and blamed it on my work. I think I'm the only one here that has had people kill themselves over my luck. I still don't know how to handle those types but still feel really bad.
>>
>>2741354

I have some nice shots of surfing, but I won't post em since I'd rather not have people irl see my shitposting and possibly recognize me.

Probably the same deal.
>>
Since I've gained a fair amount of experience doing amateur photography I can really only say that I get slightly annoyed when I see people using cameras despite having no idea what they're doing.

This is sort of a critique of people in general though: why the fuck would you do anything if you don't even have a basic understanding of how to be proficient at it? The same goes for anything (using a computer, cooking, driving a car etc).

I walked around a conservatory here in Pittsburgh recently and I just saw people with point and shits slapping the shutter button of their auto mode camera every 3 seconds without doing any composition whatsoever besides pointing it in the vague direction of something interesting. Those photos were guaranteed to look like shit, but I doubt they'd even notice anyways.

It was made worse since this was a nightime event and people were just firing off popup flashes like crazy and generally scorching my retinas/ruining the mood. I can only imagine how shitty a selfie looks when taken in pitch blackness by hand with cellphone.

It makes me nostalgic for when I was a beginner though and I made those same exact mistakes.
>>
>>2742699
>why the fuck would you do anything if you don't even have a basic understanding of how to be proficient at it?

Because that's how you become proficient at it, moron. You do something, you're not so good at it, you do it a little more, you get a little better.
>>
>>2742705

Good point, I guess I should have been clearer.

I am talking about people who do stuff continuously without ever bothering to learn anything. Like people who use a computer every day for hours but never bother to figure out how it works even on the most basic level, or people who just eat easy mac every single day instead of learning how to actually cook a meal. Or people who shoot thousands of photos for years using auto mode without ever bothering to delve deeper into how a camera actually works so they can use it more effectively.

Learning new things / how stuff works is fun, I don't really understand why more people don't try to learn everything they can about the world around them.
>>
>>2742706
People have their limits, and some can't be assed to learn how to do absolutely everything because it's so overwhelming.

For example I don't know enough about cars to fix them, so I pay somebody to do it for me. This benefits both of us because the mechanic is getting paid for his trade so he can eat and sleep and clothe himself, and I'm able to worry about nothing other than giving him the money in exchange for a working car again.
>>
>>2742722

I get what you're saying, but it does go to the level of full retard sometimes.

Ex- Not learning at least a few of the basics (checking fluids, changing tires etc.) is a legit safety hazard.
>>
>>2742728
Why the fuck is manual mode such a holy grail? I have tons of film and digital cameras and shoot manual a lot but I love shooting with my iPhone 4s because I can just not give a shit about exposure and focus on lighting, and composition. It's as if a photo taken in auto mode isn't really a photo, but some of my favourite photos I have taken with the camera in my phone.
>>
>>2742739
no fun allowed. if you're taking photos for fun, you're doing it wrong. pro-tier shit only.
>>
>>2742739

Totally missing the point. Auto mode is fine, but making absolutely no effort to at least understand a little of what you're doing is going full retard. Almost in the exact same way as not reading the damn manual for your car.
>>
>>2742740
>pro-tier shit only
pros don't use manual, unless they're using strobes
>>
>>2741555
trips
>>
>having a variable aperture
>having a lens
>having a sensor
fuck off gearfags. If you can't get good images with a camera obscura, you need to quit photography.
>>
>>2741555
still waiting on those Yellowstone pics
Thread posts: 95
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.