[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What would you do? Budget $1799 for main photo editing computer:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: wwyd.jpg (313KB, 1280x1001px) Image search: [Google]
wwyd.jpg
313KB, 1280x1001px
What would you do?
Budget $1799

for main photo editing computer:
A) Macbook pro 15"
16gb Ram
I7 Quadcore 2.5ghz
512GB ssd
2gb ddr5 Gefore GT750M

OR
HP envy DESKTOP
3.4 i7
16gb ram
256GB sssd + 1tb 7200 hdd
4GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 970
500W Power supply
+4k Monitor
>>
>>2736582
Where are you getting that price on a 15" macbook pro retina? They start at $2000 new.
>>
File: Dylan_Ryder.jpg (221KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Dylan_Ryder.jpg
221KB, 1500x1000px

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareGoogle
Photographerunknown
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Image Width1500
Image Height1000
>>
File: gf1pWvk.jpg (173KB, 1600x1067px) Image search: [Google]
gf1pWvk.jpg
173KB, 1600x1067px
>>2736584
b&h has the 2014's NIB at that price
so WHICH WOULD YOU GET
>>
>>2736587
Do you need the portability? If so, the macbook. If not, I'd PERSONALLY build my own desktop. But without that, I'd get the Envy (with a few tweaks).
>>
>>2736593
not as of now and I have a 42" hooked up to my old gaming hp
(8gb ram gtx460)
but its too slow to handle my workflow
hence the upgrade dilemma

what tweaks would you get?
>>
>>2736582
Get the desktop
>>
>>2736582
Was gonna say I recently made a build on partpicker with i7 6700k, 32GB of DDR4 RAM, a GTX 980 and 250GB SSD + 2TB HDD for around $1600. But then I remembered that build doesn't have a monitor since I already got one.

I'd get the desktop unless you really need the portability.
>>
>>2736582
I would build my own PC for 1k and would spend rest on something else.

that envy desktop really isn't worth the weight.
>>
>>2736582

just get cheapest gaming pc I can and spend the rest on food
>>
>>2736582
mbp
the desktop wont last you nearly as long and you'll get similar performance with Lr. Plus it'll be more comforatble for studio use (tethering etc)
>>
>>2736640
>the desktop wont last you nearly as long
A windows desktop is full of user replaceable parts. There is no reason for it not to last literally forever. MBP will be "too old to repair cost effectively" in three years.
>>
>>2736646
>replaceable parts
thats not it lasting forever, that's you prolonging it's life, spending more money. That desktop will show its age after two years. The 2012 mbp is still many people's primary computer (without repair)
>>
>>2736648
Are you implying that a desktop will "show its age" after two years, but a two year old laptop WON'T "age" for some reason? You're good at this. You sound like the ideal apple customer.
>>
>>2736648
I'm interested in what sad events happened to you during your life that could have produced this sort of delirious thinking.
>>
>>2736652
I'm talking from experience. I both, an rMBP 2013 13" and a custom build desktop 8gb RAM, an A6 quad core processor and a r7260x OC edition. OS X is a lot more efficient with memory when it comes to non-game graphics.

By show it's age I mean it won't be as worn down.

>>2736654
hostile and pointless.
>>
>>2736656
I work in an office of eight macs, and run my own home built PC. I fix macs every month, and have had to format two in the past two months due to corrupted drives. Issues with ports, issues with failing drives, issues with displays, a lack of disk drives, a lack of ethernet ports, etc.

You can't even upgrade the ram in the new macbooks. They aren't made to last, they aren't made to be repaired, and they DO fail. Regularly. You personal experience is countered by many others. All that's left is the facts. If any part of a PC desktop fails, you can replace the part yourself with 10 minutes on NewEgg and less than $100. If your macbook goes down, you get to deal with the genius bar, and a loooong wait. If they'll even touch it.
>>
>>2736657
>new macbooks
whos talking about new macbooks man.

>You personal experience is countered by many others.
If that were true ~50% of computers apple makes would be faulty. I'm sure you can agree that's not the case lmao
My experience is the majority of teh Apple users'

>any part of a PC desktop fails, you can replace the part yourself with 10 minutes on NewEgg and less than $100
gtx970 replacement for $100? keen on that

as for OP, he's looking for a comfortable computer to use for photography. There are more ups to the macbook than just performance. Portability is one of the major ones.
>>
>>2736660
>new macbooks
>whos talking about new macbooks man.
wait i take that back

OP does have the newer ones. Then again 16 is enough :^)
>>
>>2736660
>gtx970 replacement for $100? keen on that
as if any modern apple computer, let alone a macbook, would even have something comparable to that to begin with. a desktop with a gtx970 is in a wholly different league.
>>
>>2736660
By the time that gtx970 fails, it will be $100.

And he was asked about whether portability was important, and he said no.

>If that were true ~50% of computers apple makes would be faulty. I'm sure you can agree that's not the case lmao
what? Where's that math?

>whos talking about new macbooks man.
We are. You can't add ram to a 2014 macbook. There's not a single part of that computer that you can replace, fix, or alter on your own.
>>
>>2736582
Go on craigslist and get a MacBook that's like 6 months old. I got one for $1000 off original price, and I haven't had a single issue with it. It might be stolen, but it works, and that's all I care about. The laptop is MUCH more useful than a desktop, I do a lot of photography trips, so it's useful to be able to download the images from my memory card from wherever. And honestly, the MacBook should be powerful enough for any photo editing you're doing.

>>2736657
I've worked with macs in the past doing video editing, and I've never experienced a mac having any hardware failures. However, that's not to say it won't happen, and he's right, it will be expensive.

I think you're biggest decider will be if you need to have your computer on trips with you, or if you do more studio work in your home.
>>
>>2736663
>wanting 970 for photo editing
you need a psychiatrist. It was retarded bringing up that argument.

>>2736664
> And he was asked about whether portability was important, and he said no.
oh lol my bad in that case

>>2736664
>If that were true ~50% of computers apple makes would be faulty. I'm sure you can agree that's not the case lmao
>what? Where's that math?
read that wrong, but yeah, the number of apple computers breaking down are significantly less than the ones that last.

also I know, I took that back about the replaceable parts in a macbook. Repairing a mac at apple stores is easy most of the time from what I've heard. A lot more simpler for a less techy person.

but yeah okay if portability isn't a necessity, go for the desktop, 4K monitors are great. Lighten up on the gpu though, that's an overkill.
>>
File: WM-2330.jpg (459KB, 1920x1244px) Image search: [Google]
WM-2330.jpg
459KB, 1920x1244px
>>2736664
>>2736665
>>2736668
thanks for the input guys; the guy talking about macs failing scared me pretty bad.

for the record the mbp I currently have is a 2014, brand new and I still have a little more than a week to return it for a full refund; It's a lot of money so I want to make sure it's invested well

I do a lot of on location work but haven't used a laptop yet - I just take it home and do work (im hardly pro). I don't travel too often but there's been times that I've been stuck in a hotel room out of town...with jobs that needed finishing. And I've just been on my phone losing my mind. Kinda rare tho

I'm thinking the mbp will come in handy in the future plus I like having a laptop. Bought a hp elitebook a few year back (total waste of money) I liked walking around with netflix on and the other obvious perks of mobility

My pc still works decent, been playing fallout on it since I started this thread. the TV is pretty old now tho. 2009ish but it still works & its 1080

I've always been a hp desktop guy and I agree that they're pretty gerbil (durable). I like resetting it to factory setting after a backup & it's not hard at all to take out parts.

I stumbled across the hp envy by accident; then found on hps website how you can piece one together. That really got me thinking; a largeer screen would be nice + the ability to play new games well. To edit properly on the mbp I've been hiding all the toolbars and zooming in.

I can always hook the mbp up to an external ips monitor; seems I can get a pretty good one for $150~ on ebay - the dell ultrasharps look like a good move.

attached is the current battlestation. I am using a c stand to keep the LG tv there LOL feng shui command position :P

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS 5D Mark III
Camera SoftwareMicrosoft Windows Photo Gallery 6.0.6001.18000
Maximum Lens Aperturef/4.0
Image-Specific Properties:
Image Width5531
Image Height3687
Number of Bits Per Component8, 8, 8
Pixel CompositionRGB
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution240 dpi
Vertical Resolution240 dpi
Image Created2016:01:04 21:24:25
Exposure Time1/80 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating2500
Lens Aperturef/5.6
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
Focal Length24.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width1920
Image Height1244
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeManual
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Unique Image IDD8356A4AC2584C1FBBAD698E86E1251F
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.