[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you scout spots for shooting?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: unnamed.png (24KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.png
24KB, 300x300px
I decided I'm gonna photograph my childhood neighborhood so I went on Google Maps to plan out what I'm gonna shoot.

How do you plan your shots?
>>
>>2736506

you use your legs and walk, you lardass cripple.
>>
File: why boy.png (262KB, 325x314px) Image search: [Google]
why boy.png
262KB, 325x314px
>>2736509
>wasting valuable time and sunlight aimlessly wandering around for something interesting in a place you haven't been in years instead of doing research beforehand and having a plan knowing exactly what you want to shoot
>>
did you just take screen shots from the street view?
>>
>>2736541
No, I went in Google Maps Satellite mode and moved around the neighborhood and took note of the places I want to photograph when I go there tomorrow.
>>
>google maps
>wandering around

Both. If you are going to do it properly

Google maps helps familiarise yourself with an area in advance and often points to ideas you can explore when you get there.

Walking around will show you details and events that Google can't
>>
>>2736517
>implying the best shots are exactly planned ahead of time
>>
>>2736506
>Google maps
>Paper street map
>Ride around on my bike
I've found that the most interesting shots are on neither map (I just like the feel of paper in my hand)
>>
>>2736575
>implying planned shots and spontaneous shots cannot coexist
>>
>>2736572
This. Plus you'll inevitably end up walking places the maps car can't show you, so hoofing it is pretty important regardless. I don't really think I've ever gotten an amazing shot out of scouting/planning well in advance. What usually happens is I'll wander into a place, notice some really great light or scene, then keep re-visiting it to get a better shot since I usually don't get the best shot the first time around.
>>
>>2736517
u are so retard.
>>
>>2736517
Yeah, why would you want to exercise, explore new places, and be pleasantly surprised when a photo opportunity comes along?
>>
Leave your basement.
>>
File: nepal-hiking-porter1.jpg (72KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
nepal-hiking-porter1.jpg
72KB, 600x450px
>>2736509
>>2736575
>>2736987
>>2737019

Fucking amateurs always think photography is just one thing or one way of doing things...

Because hauling an 8x10 view camera + gear around without any prior thought makes perfect fucking sense.

OP -

It depends on what I'm planning to shoot and how long I'll be there... but things such as google maps and sun tracker apps are handy to plot the path of the sun at specific times and obviously sunrise/sunset.

If it's a place I've never been before I like to go to gettyimages and search the place name. It gives me a rough overview of popular locations. If I spot a location that looks like the sort of thing I might want to photograph I can pinpoint the area on google maps or take a look a street view.

If it's a place I've been to before, or more own city, I'll often take quick snapshots with a compact or camera phone and use that to plan for a location. I might make a quick sketch or jot down some notes about the idea I have - 4x5, 8x10, or digital, what lens, what film, how I want the light, etc. There's a good app for iPhone that lets you simulate various camera formats and focal lengths so you can take a few test shots of a sight you want to revisit (think it gps tags the location too).

Planning and thinking about your work is a good sign OP. Ignore any idiots criticizing you for it.
>>
I just wander around aimlessly.

I used to pick a random subway station and continue from there — nowadays I start from campus and just go on 3-4 hour walks or until I'm tired.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%C3%A9rive
>>
File: thumbs up Ed.png (276KB, 499x380px) Image search: [Google]
thumbs up Ed.png
276KB, 499x380px
>>2737280
thank you for this constructive reply
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.