[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I took two pictures of mountains. One at f/5, one at f/22.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

File: f5 (2).jpg (3MB, 5184x3456px) Image search: [Google]
f5 (2).jpg
3MB, 5184x3456px
I took two pictures of mountains.

One at f/5, one at f/22.

I thought a smaller aperture was better for landscapes. However, I think the f/5 looks better than the f/22.

Both images:
* ISO-200
* 55mm Focal Length
* 0 exposure bias
* Canon Rebel T5
* EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Lens

f/5: http://i.imgur.com/gUc14my.jpg
* 1/2000 sec exposure
* tripod, pic taken with timer

f/22: http://i.imgur.com/Pnslfke.jpg
* 1/100 sec exposure
* tripod, pic taken with timer.

I read up on depth of field, and it seems like at this distance it doesn't matter, everything will be "focused" as long as I don't have a foreground subject.

However, I think the f/5 looks better than the f/22 (although I'm not super happy with either picture). The mountains are a bit sharper in the f/5 for example.

Why is this? Is it better to shoot at higher apertures for landscapes if I'm just taking pictures of mountains?

Any other advice/recommendations to make my pictures look better?

I'm a complete beginner, so any advice is appreciated

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS REBEL T5
Camera SoftwareWindows Photo Editor 10.0.10011.16384
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Image Created2016:01:03 15:36:37
Exposure Time1/2000 sec
F-Numberf/5.6
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating200
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length55.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
>>
File: f22 (2).jpg (3MB, 5184x3456px) Image search: [Google]
f22 (2).jpg
3MB, 5184x3456px
the OP image is the f/5 picture, here is the f/22 so you don't have to go to imgur.

Equipment MakeCanon
Camera ModelCanon EOS REBEL T5
Camera SoftwareWindows Photo Editor 10.0.10011.16384
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Image Created2016:01:03 15:36:26
Exposure Time1/100 sec
F-Numberf/22.0
Exposure ProgramManual
ISO Speed Rating200
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
FlashNo Flash
Focal Length55.00 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffraction
>>
When any wave passes through a small hole it gets slightly disorganised on the other side, more so the smaller the hole. This is called diffraction. When you shoot at f/22 your aperture is absolutely tiny and thus diffraction decreases the sharpness of your image by interfering with the light waves.

Most lenses tend to be sharpest around f/8 to f/11. f/22 shouldn't be used unless you really really want a long exposure for some reason and there's too much light around. Also if you shoot at f/22 dust spots on your sensor appear because the depth of field is so incredibly huge that specks on the sensor itself are nearly in focus. There are one or two in the sky in that picture, look to the top left and you'll see a small dark circle.

Also it's rare for a sensor to be absolutely clean unless you cleaned it five minutes ago. So again, leave f/22 alone.
>>
>>2735552
i'm not OP but one thing I don't understand is why dust on the sensor appears due to the smaller apertures. I would've thought the aperture can only affect the DOF from light coming into the lens.
>>
File: Dust-on-Sensor.png (27KB, 550x796px) Image search: [Google]
Dust-on-Sensor.png
27KB, 550x796px
>>2735564
maybe it's not strictly speaking a depth of field effect
>>
>>2735539
>>2735552

Didn't know that, thanks guys!
>>
>>2735583
thanks for that, that's pretty interesting
>>
File: tumblr_nz1zh4Ko3Z1teqokwo1_1280.jpg (480KB, 664x1000px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nz1zh4Ko3Z1teqokwo1_1280.jpg
480KB, 664x1000px
>>2735531
You should maybe see about getting on some of the parking garages downtown around sunset and see what you can manage. Harsh daylight landscapes aren't usually that good.

Maybe head down towards Chatfield also, they're closer to the mountains and accessible via rail, if you don't have your own transportation.

Equipment MakeSONY
Camera ModelNEX-6
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop Lightroom 5.3 (Macintosh)
Maximum Lens Aperturef/1.0
Horizontal Resolution264 dpi
Vertical Resolution264 dpi
Image Created2015:12:08 11:48:58
Exposure Time1/320 sec
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating100
Brightness2.5 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModePattern
Light SourceOther
FlashNo Flash, Compulsory
RenderingNormal
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceManual
Scene Capture TypeStandard
ContrastNormal
SaturationNormal
SharpnessNormal
>>
>>2735539
>>2735552
I'm very familiar with diffraction causing poor image quality. But does this work differently with film? I know that Ansel Adams was part of the f-64 club, and if I remember correctly they shot exclusively at f-64, but I recall Ansel having incredibly sharp images. I figured this has something to do with the diffraction not taking place when it's being projected onto a plane (Film) unlike it going into small photo receptors
>>
>>2736178

It's not so much to do with the media and more the format and the relative circle of confusion.

Large format film has a very large circle of confusion, and so f/64 is not diffraction limited.

35mm film (and digital) starts to show problems with diffraction past f/22 and is heavily limited by the time you get to f/32.

1.5x aps-c crop is diffraction limited at f/16.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.