[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /p/ I found my dad's old Canon AE-1 Program film camera

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Hey /p/ I found my dad's old Canon AE-1 Program film camera with a 50mm 1:1.4 lens on it. Being a Nikon guy and someone who has only shit digital and paintcan photos, can anyone tell me about it? Is it a decent camera? Would it be good to start film shooting with? Etc?
>>
Oh my gosh I meant to say "shot" I'm so sorry lol
>>
Thanks for support guys
>>
>1925 National Geographic

moar
>>
>>2735525
gotta love these freudian slips
>>
>>2735520
Shit camera, With Canon I started off with a Canon FTB and thats way better then the AE-1. Keep that camera for show, Invest in a FTB if you want to start shooting with Canon.
>>
File: 8116615603_966dc42da3_b.jpg (279KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
8116615603_966dc42da3_b.jpg
279KB, 1024x683px
>>2735702
>>2735520
Its a bit more heavy then the AE-1 and has a needle light meter.
>>
>>2735520
I had two AE-1's, never shot with them. If it still meters, good. But the light seals and foam the mirror strikes may be rotted out.
Nailing manual focus at f1.4 on near subjects would be difficult and waste film.
The lens would be good for mirrorless cameras. Unlike nikon, canon changed their mount so it wont work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNqIlJkup6Q
>>
>>2735520
Open up your clenched bowels and just fucking use the thing.
>>
>>2735520
good camera, great lens. use it with confidence.
>>
It's a good camera for me. You can get other lenses really cheap (I love the 100mm 1:2).
I find focusing easy, with a 4 split plate - I do have two bodies and don't like the one with only a horizontal split for focusing.
Use it, see if you like it. It's a matter of taste mostly.
>>
>>2735520
I have one, but never use it anymore. I took it on vacation one time to Jamaica and the shutter release mechanism fell out somewhere on the beach. I was so pissed...I had it repaired but didn't use it much after that as I didn't trust it.
>>
>>2735525
no you got it right the first time

>Is it a decent camera?
yes
>Would it be good to start film shooting with? Etc?
yes
>can anyone tell me about it?
Canon really put marketing into hyper drive in this era, they would offer free rentals to Nikon Pro shooters and CPS members at sporting events, the gear was often better than what the photog or news paper had in their rental pool. They then photographed the press box at the event to show off all the white lenses for advertisements.
at the consumer level they had cameras like the AE1 program which had a lot of the features of the Nikon FE but cheaper vinyl internal gears. Pentax and Minolta really missed the boat back then thinking that their product would speak for itself, while Nikon stayed a favorite of fashion and news shooters. Canon took over the consumer market by giving their away to high profile shooters.

That said, Canon did make some good cameras. I shot an AE1 program for years, before switching to Nikon. I still look back at some of the photos and think to myself "that was a nice lens".

If you are a Nikon shooter, the AE1 will be a good entry to film and the 1.4 is a nice lens, but you might not want to invest too much money in the FD system. Nikon never changed their bayonet mount and the old manual AI & AI-s lenses are coveted for video work.
>>
File: Czpr9KV.jpg (527KB, 4554x610px) Image search: [Google]
Czpr9KV.jpg
527KB, 4554x610px
ive never used the program but i have two regular AE-1s. one works one doesnt and im not sure why. its pretty good entry level camera. its not real metal and was the first camera to sell whatever million units.

included is a scan where the film didnt advance right on one of my cameras. you can still make out some snapshits

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Image-Specific Properties:
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.