[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Print Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 9

File: print-shop[1].jpg (135KB, 1000x380px) Image search: [Google]
print-shop[1].jpg
135KB, 1000x380px
Which online or brick and mortar stores offer high quality, durable photo prints?

I recently printed a few images at walgreens and they're utter shit.
>>
File: 1451307326822.jpg (102KB, 900x506px) Image search: [Google]
1451307326822.jpg
102KB, 900x506px
mpix is tolerable

i use general graphics in Alameda for anything that matters and image wizards for direct on metal prints
>>
>>2732255
Thanks that helps. I see mpix and a dozen others in google searches, but of course they all claim they're awesome
>>
Artisan State
>>
>>2732247
I've been ordering metallic prints, and also metal prints from bayphoto.com. They've got great customer service, good prices, and great quality. Get some cheap test prints with them to see if you like them
>>
>>2732255
mpix is awesome for digital black and white rc prints

>>2732315
bayphoto will charge the shit out of you for shipping but they have this type-c matte paper i can't seem to find anywhere else. it's really kinda sexy

dalmation lab does fiber prints from digital files, i've never used them as it's kind of pricey and I still have access to a darkroom

lots of stores are ditching the c-prints for really low quality dye-sub processes (target, walgreens, walmart) which are as bad as those little overpriced kodak print-in-seconds machines. costco is probably the best quality and lowest price around, making like 20 8x10s there will cover the cost of membership and then some.

there is probably a good printer somewhere near you that will be happy to work with you (and get paid... like a lot)
>>
File: 20150109_173414_1.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20150109_173414_1.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>2732321
I didn't think their shipping was that bad. Especially if you're ordering a few prints at once. The most I've paid for shipping through then was $40 for a 120lb wood crate, shipped from California to texas via fedex, and all the stuff they ship is insured. So if fedex crinkles, bends or breaks something, bayphoto will send you a new one no questions asked, and you get to keep the damaged one. This pic is from a shipment I got from them once

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Equipment MakeSAMSUNG
Camera ModelSM-N910V
Camera SoftwareSnapseed 1.6
Maximum Lens Aperturef/2.2
Sensing MethodOne-Chip Color Area
Focal Length (35mm Equiv)31 mm
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Horizontal Resolution72 dpi
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2015:01:12 18:37:13
Exposure Time1/14 sec
F-Numberf/2.2
Exposure ProgramNormal Program
ISO Speed Rating250
Lens Aperturef/2.2
Brightness-0.3 EV
Exposure Bias0 EV
Metering ModeCenter Weighted Average
Light SourceUnknown
FlashFlash
Focal Length4.80 mm
Color Space InformationsRGB
Image Width3264
Image Height1836
Exposure ModeAuto
White BalanceAuto
Scene Capture TypeStandard
Unique Image IDH16USHH04SA
>>
File: 1440629740736.jpg (108KB, 580x729px) Image search: [Google]
1440629740736.jpg
108KB, 580x729px
>>2732265
decent but their books don't hold up. When I ran a gallery I made our catalogs with them and the pages on 2/3rds of them are bubbling and separating.

>>2732315
The worst experience I've had with customer service and quality control were with bayphoto. I know past employees of the company who only have negative things to say.

More importantly I have a 7 or so metal prints from them laying around and more from image wizards. ALL of the ones from bay photo have curled (how the fuck does this even happen, it's on fucking aluminum) while the ones from image wizards have aged much better.

http://www.reagandpufall.com/blog/2012/01/metal-prints-and-bay-photo.html?rq=bay lol I need to reformat that, looks like it didn't translate to the new system well
>>
File: 1427405899158.jpg (182KB, 1280x982px) Image search: [Google]
1427405899158.jpg
182KB, 1280x982px
>be photography student
>get laughed at by /p/
>have Epson Stylus Pro 11880 among others at University
>pay 15USD for a 64" print
Th-thanks, government subsidization.
Can't wait until I'm not a student anymore.

Find out where the stores get their stuff printed before you take it to them, they could just as well print your shit at the same industrial printing plant as the online stores.
There are printing profiles for these printing plants available online, apply them to your pictures to avoid any unwanted tints.

I'd rather find a professional lab near you that prints the stuff in store themselves, it'll cost more but the prints will be a lot better and durable.
>>
>>2732526
When did you purchase those prints? I have seriously had zero problelms with bayphoto. The only problem I've ever had was some adhesive failed on one of the metal prints, it fell off a wall, bent the image, and they sent me a brand new one to put up. I've been printing the metal prints for about 2 years now, and never had a real problem. I feel like you probably work for a different print shop and you're jelly
>>
>>2732603
I had mine done Deveral years ago, 2011 or 2012? I dont work for a print shop and never have. They just did a real shit job and never apologized for it. When I was in California I met some people who had worked there and they had not good things to say about them as a business and a lot of the other photographers I new stayed to fuck away from them as well opting for other printers and mounters.
>>
>>2732702
Well, it might be worth trying them out again. they may have changed some of their customer service since then. I've been using them since late 2013.
>>
File: 1437600202702.jpg (101KB, 460x607px) Image search: [Google]
1437600202702.jpg
101KB, 460x607px
>>2732706
why would I? All I would be doing is risking getting shafted by someone who has shafted me before when I have other printers who do a better job and have better costumer service.
>>
Does anyone know where/how to get prints like pic related? I really dig the white borders these styles of print have. Once I do find the place any tips on making sure it comes out looking good?
>>
>>2733404
that's a mockup of an instant photograph. currently the only widely available way to do this is to use an instax mini printer with instax mini film. otherwise, use Photoshop to put a fake polaroid border on and print normally.
>>
>>2733419
Well that's disappointingly inconvenient. Thanks though.
>>
I've used Adoramapix for various size prints on standard paper and I've been pleased with the results. I used Mpix to order a large (16"x24") mounted and framed print. They were very helpful in the initial support. When the product came in the glass had broken during shipping. I contacted them immediately and they had a new order out the door the next day.
>>
>>2733404
Request that your prints have the specific margins. Or the photoshop route would take less than a minute
>>
>>2732247
Now that my local store no longer develops B/W negs, where can I go to get it done?
>inb4 do it yourself. I dont have the space to do it
Lately I've been sending my 35 and 120 to sharpprints in WI for development, but maybe there's a better choice?
>>
>>2735616
Oh hey I live near there

Fellow Wiscobro?
>>
>>2737012
Chicago here. I know sharpprints has a local company sharpphoto, but for most of my print needs are done through them because they do cheap and good printing.
>>
>>2732247
buy a printer.
>>
Any Londoners here that have any suggestions? I work at SnappySnaps and usually print my stuff there.
>>
Are there any online printers that offer Canson Infinity Platine Fibre Rag paper? A la the ming thein ultraprint.
>>
>>2737235
If you are in London and want good prints try metro imaging
>>
>>2737046
That gets expensive pretty quickly. Especially if you're trying to color grade.
>>
I haven't seen proDPI mentioned, that's where I get mine. I don't order many prints but I've had no issues with them.
>>
>>2732340
How the fuck did you order 120lbs of photo prints?
>>
File: Debra-Winger-Wonder-Girl.jpg (46KB, 288x288px) Image search: [Google]
Debra-Winger-Wonder-Girl.jpg
46KB, 288x288px
>>2737740
frames maybe¿

[EXIF data available. Click here to show/hide.]
Camera-Specific Properties:
Camera SoftwareAdobe Photoshop CS2 Windows
Image-Specific Properties:
Image OrientationTop, Left-Hand
Vertical Resolution72 dpi
Image Created2008:09:30 11:21:50
Color Space InformationUncalibrated
Image Width565
Image Height424
>>
>>2732538
>64" print
must be glorious, post a pic
>>
>>2733404
The hipster shithead store
>>
File: 1362375180491.png (168KB, 414x433px) Image search: [Google]
1362375180491.png
168KB, 414x433px
>tfw no money to make prints
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.