[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fishing & Tackle Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 316
Thread images: 62

File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>#6- "Your Mystery Tacklebox Has Shipped" Edition

Saw you guys did work in the other thread while I was on the grind, so figured it's time for a new one.
>>
>>685651
1st for day-drinking busch light and shitposting in fishing threads

>woooo
>>
>>685667
Sounds nice. Except for the Busch Light. Get on some heavy duty Natural Ice.

Bass Pro has some big "Spring Fishing" deal and I guess tomorrow if you are a rewards member, you can get the sale prices early. But there aren't any good deals on rods or reels unless it is store brand. 25% off Spider Wire, sales on some lures, and then some random rebates but I hate rebates. I'm never going to take the time to fill them out and mail them.
>>
>>685670
>Get on some heavy duty Natural Ice.

natty ice was what everyone around here drank in high school at the pasture parties.

My dad and my best friend's dad both drink busch and I always raid their beer fridges when I'm in town so I've gotten acclimated to the taste but busch light has slightly fewer calories, gotta get that summer bod for reeling in the qt's while fishing shirtless in a 40 year old, objectively ugly boat while I'm out on the lake this year.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>685679
At least you're thinking about your future

>>685670
What do you guys think about this trade-in deal?

I would never do it. I would rather have an extra $70 rod laying around than get $10 off a new rod. Unless they accept broken stuff. I have a Cardinal reel that doesn't work right, I suppose I could bring that in and get $5 off a new reel if I were going to buy one anyway.
>>
>>685684

Not worth it unless they take broken stuff like you said.
>>
>>685667
>>685670
>>685679
>Macro lagers

Please sudoku yourselves
>>
>>685689
>being a hipster who refuses to drink regular beer

You're far worse.

I don't even drink these days anyway.
>>
>>685689
Hey now, I drink "good beer" sometimes, but buying a 30pk for "consumption drinking" at $19 isn't bad either
>>
>>685670
we should have waited, you could have gotten me spiderwire instead of power pro and saved like $7.50
>>
>>685691
I'd rather drink water than that horse piss you mentioned. It's not like beer worth drinking is expensive, either.

>>685692
If you're "consumption drinking" then you're better off with bum wine or liquor and soda.
>>
>>685698
To each his own buddy
>>
>>685697
Nah, like 9/10 people will tell you Power Pro beats the hell out of Spider Wire. They run around the same price, if not Power Pro being a little more expensive.

I have Power Pro on most my reels and SpiderWire on a few and I can't tell the difference.
>>
>>685692
>consumption drinking
vodka
>>
>>685702
I honestly don't like vodka. Now mixed drinks with spiced rum or whisky are a different story altogether....
>>
File: harpoon.png (190KB, 600x239px) Image search: [Google]
harpoon.png
190KB, 600x239px
>>685698
>beer worth drinking
>>
>>685701
>>685697
http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishingforums/showthread.php?t=6908

Just start reading forums and ask around with real serious fisherman. I doubt many (if any) will tell you to get Spider Wire over Power Pro.

Seems like an /o/ argument where you take the BMW M3 and start comparing other cars like the Merc C63, Lexus IS-F, etc. and there are a few people who like certain things about the competitors but the old standby M3 is the best all around in the end. PowerPro is the BMW.
>>
>>685706
ayy, my uncles best buddy is head brewer at harpoon so at parties we have coolers and coolers of harpoon for free
>>
File: 4loko_3291.jpg (60KB, 425x318px) Image search: [Google]
4loko_3291.jpg
60KB, 425x318px
>>685705
OR
I was drinking the Black Cherry the other day. 1 Can is almost = 4 beers
>>
>>685705
Sailor Jerry ftw

>>685706
Not gonna lie, I bet 5/6 of those taste like garbage. That's how that goofy shit always is. Sometimes a smaller company will make a lager that tastes like a good Budweiser, but otherwise they are too heavy or too many tastes to really enjoy.

New Belgium, the company that makes Fat Tire, has a beer called Blue Paddle that they put out occaisionally and that is one of the few that was actually good.
>>
>>685708
Saaawwweeeeeeeeeeeet!
>>
>>685709
Fuck, reminds me of 2009. Lines of blow and 4 Lokos.

http://youtu.be/MlytV66OI4o
>>
>>685710
Only one I'm not big on is the Rye IPA, the others are great and if you like Grapefruit Shandy they do that in the summer.

Harpoon is probably the best domestic brew that is larger than micro-brews.
>>
>>685709
that shit tastes like bathtub rum with kool-aidâ„¢

bad taste aside, it's turrible for your gut and will give you a horrible headache and hangover, plus you could remove patina with your breath in the morning
>>
>>685713
I agree it can get out of hand but for $2.50/ea I can't bitch at the cheap buzz if I don't feel like vodka. Don't think I've ever had more than 2 in a day before though.

They also removed the caffeine and some of the energy herbs.
>>
File: image.jpg (60KB, 300x407px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
60KB, 300x407px
>>685716
What you know about the Presidente?

If you haven't had it, grab some if you are ever in Florida or the Caribbean. I think it is Dominican or some shit. Just some tasty regular beer tho, worth grabbing over Coronas.
>>
>>685718
moderation my friend.......

It's the key to life.
>>
>>685719
I don't think I have drank it since they removed the caffiene. I remember when that happened and we would go around to the few corner stores that still had them while everybody else's coolers were empty for a few weeks.

There was Sparxs or some shit before 4Loko tho, it was in a silver and black can with orange writing, and then Joose was competing with 4Loko right around the time they pulled the caffeine out. Sparks (sp?) was the original energy drink one.
>>
>>685722
>moderation
>drinking
oh i see. well, i'm not able :[
>>
>>685720
Never had it. I'm a commonsewer of beer as a rule. We used to plan vacations around brew pubs.
Same with ski trips.
I don't really drink a ton these days, especially beer. Too fucking bloaty. Nothing worse than sloshing when you walk.
>>
>>685709

Fuck off, that shits literally weaker than wine. Go be 14 somewhere else.

Pour some 99% everclear in a energy drink and stop being a little bitch.
>>
>>685722
Moderation has gone out the window the second you crack open a can of 4Loko. You don't buy 4Loko because you want to relax and get a mild buzz on.
>>
File: image.jpg (51KB, 400x309px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
51KB, 400x309px
>>685724
Here is the Sparks. The original alcoholic energy drink before 4Loko
>>
>>685720
I went to the Dominican Republic and stayed at an all-inclusive resort there with my best friend, his fiancee, and one of her friends for 7 days. The ONLY beer they had in the resort was El Presidente... I wasn't a huge fan of it but it's alright I guess. I ended up drinking a lot of rum/whiskey drinks and too much Mama Juana instead of beer.
>>
>>685701
eh, im sure i wouldnt know the difference, but it would have saved you a few bucks
>>
this fishing thread is now a boose thread apparently
>>
>>685729
I know, it's odd, I actually like the black cherry one and a couple other flavors. Goes against everything in me.
>>
>>685743
It's whatever. After shipping it would've been $45 instead of $50. I told you too that I could've gotten it from eBay for $27 with free shipping but I didn't want you to end up with the wrong size and no way of returning it or somehow get some old stock that is all shitty.

From what people say (and what I have noticed to an extent) is that Spider Wire seems a little smoother, but Power Pro doesn't fray as easily and people mention it seems stronger for the same test like.

Plus OG's only use Power Pro. You are an OG, right? Or do you need some bitch-ass FireLine?
>>
>>685711
i actually rarley drink though desu,
>>
>>685745
The two aren't mutually exclusive IMO.
>>
>>685651

What's the best entry level rod? Must be portable.
>>
>>685751
>What's the best entry level rod?

There isn't one straight, definitive answer for this question......

Where will you be fishing, and what will you be fishing for? Fishing for sunfish and bass in a lake/pond will require a different rod than if you're fishing off a pier in saltwater...
>>
>>685750
+1

>>685751
Ugly Stiks probably. Get a 2pc if you really need it to be portable.

Berkley Lightning Rods aren't bad for the money either. Around $40, same price as Ugly Stiks pretty much. Bass Pro store brand rods aren't terrible either. They have some really cheap ones (like $20) but their Graphite Series are pretty nice and I think they run around the same price as Ugly Stiks and those Lighning Rods. Plus they go on sale quite a bit.
>>
>>685752
Mainly lakes and rivers in East Texas/North Texas/Central texas.

Catfish, bass, trout hopefully.

Then down the road, something portable I can take home to Oregon for salmon.

>>685753
>>
>>685755
>East Texas, North Texas, Central Texas

Where do you live? I own a house in the Dallas / Ft. Worth area but I'm originally form NE Texas and do most of my fishing as well as keep my boat at my parents' house there.
>>
>>685756

DFW. Wanna use this rod mainly for fishing the small ponds/streams in the Angelina/Crockett forest/LBJ grassland and various state parks.
>>
>>685755
Yup, you just need a good ol' Ugly Stik.

If you're just running a medium all-around spinning combo with 8lb-10lb test line, probably 6'6", maybe 7' if you want. And after reading your last post, I think you should get a 1pc if you can deal with it. 2pc rods aren't the end of the world, but I just hate that weak point and trying to get them aligned perfect so it doesn't meas with my OCD.
>>
>>685758

I'm gonna be bushwhacking to a few spots so the portability is key.

What's the deal with tenkara rods? Any good? I can cast a fly rod, just never owned one.
>>
>>685748
i dont know what OG means.
>>
>>685762

original gangster, my nigga.
>>
>>685760
I don't know nothing about those. I've never even dabbed in the occult which is fly fishing.

>>685762
Yeah, you an OG fo sho
>>
>>685751
go for a 2 piece medium action ugly stik from walmart, then put on a shakespere excursion, and spool it with 20 pound power pro, and whatever leader you deem fit. ive used that combo to land everything from bluegill to bass, catfish, even small sting rays in the ocean (2 foot wide about)
all said it should run about 50 bucks and last pretty well.
>>
>>685760
tries a small one once, didnt like it that much to be honest, i an cast much further with an telescoping spinning ree
>>
>>685751
>>685768
>>685755
ive also stuffed it in to a back pack and ridden my motorcycle fishing
>>
>>685766
>>685763
if you say so, i mean the only reason i stop at home to change my clothes after work is because my home is on the way to the lake.
>>685760
ive dabbled in to fly fishing and have some shitty set up, its fun but expensive and a pain in the butt without waders and/or warm water.
>>
>>685768
Pepsi, put your trip back on

Lots of places also sell those Ugly Stik combos for around $50 with the black and red reel. The reels aren't the greates, but you can't beat it for spending an extra $10 on top of what you would pay for the rod alone. And if the reel eventually breaks, you can always grab an Abu Cardinal or Shimano Sienna for like $30 and have a nice little combo.
>>
File: image.jpg (42KB, 390x390px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42KB, 390x390px
>>685775
Forgot the pic of the Ugly Stik combo
>>
File: lipstick.png (174KB, 500x384px) Image search: [Google]
lipstick.png
174KB, 500x384px
>>685775
>mfw that post
>>
File: image.jpg (133KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
133KB, 640x1136px
So is anybody else excited?

Found out they ship from Chicago, so I will probably get mine like late next week. If I still lived at my old house, I would have that shit tomorrow. I want to see what everybody else got and find out if that extra $10 was worth it to get the "Pro" package for the next 2 months.

Also gotta see if it is worth subscribing for longer or for other packages beyond my 3 month bass one.
>>
>>685701

Nothing wrong with spiderwire. Having said that, I do prefer power pro because its a bit stiffer. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with spiderwire, and I do know anglers much better and more respected than I, who do recommend it.
>>
>>685775
>>685776
yeppers, that's exactly what I did. Figured if the reel is total shit it was only $10 and I could get something else then. My Dad swore by Shakespeare
>>
>>685787
Can't wait. haven't gotten the "it's shipped" email from LTB yet. Went trout w/ MTB and salt with LTB
I'm giving it until May or June any way and then I'll re-assess.
>>
File: swimbait.jpg (1MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
swimbait.jpg
1MB, 2592x1944px
>>685787
if i had that kind of money to spare, id go for it. i could really use the random variety.
also i pissed about with heavier things (namely a half ounce bell sinker) and it casted wonderfully, so i guess ill make this rod my "heavy" bait rod. when i can feel my hands again ill tie a 3/8 ounce jighead ive got to it and cast again, see if that works well. if it does then this rod will be moved to bigger baits- jigs, large crank baits, swim baits like pic related, and when i get some money in ill run some braid on a spinning combo
>>
>>685815
That code is still good for Lucky Tackle Box. $10 off, so if you only do one month, it's $4.99.

We'll see what's up with it, if it is worthwhile. Seems like they give you some sampler packs of plastic baits and maybe one or two other things with the bass packs. Maybe if will get me to try something new as far as the soft baits go. Not trying to buy a pack of 20 baits that I only use one of. I have enough of those already.
>>
>>685760
>What's the deal with tenkara rods? Any good?
For fishing dries in mountain streams, sure. Otherwise, not really. But then, they weren't ever meant for anything else.
>>
File: NEWRODBUILD.png (59KB, 1602x364px) Image search: [Google]
NEWRODBUILD.png
59KB, 1602x364px
I dun did it boys. After a LOT of revisions, I decided to buy a MHX elite pro blank for finesse plastics/stickbaits. I also switched from alconite to micro zirconium's from pac bay. I also went to a pac bay minima casting seat after feeling my friends rod.
r8 m8
>>
>>685867
Take pics of the assembly process when you do it. I'm curious now.
>>
>>685870
I know I will run into problems. I hope I don't fuck up the blank, it's 50 million modulus. Also, all sizing is ball parked because they didn't update any of the blank info.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Can you guys give me some tips for rigging swing baits? I normally use spinnerbaits or worms so no don't really know what hooks to use.

Also, can anyone tell me how I'd fish with the big pink lure? I ordered a a mystery box and they didn't come in packages so I don't know the brand.
>>
>>685881
Swim** not swing.
>>
>>685881
Those used to be really popular on the west coast for calico bass. I fish smaller ones on a jighead.
>>
>>685881
Swimbait use weighted worm hook
Split tail grub use jig head.

I use spinnerbaits alot on the local eiver with pretty good results. Going to try adding a plastic trailer this year. Anyone ever use this kind of setup? What were the affects? Positive or negative?
>>
How do yall fish when it's cold as shit outside? I was going to go this past weekend, but the temp dropped back down below freezing so I bailed. In kentucky btw
>>
>>685977

I was born and raised in Hawai'i. Such things are beyond my comprehension.
>>
>>685977
>How do yall fish when it's cold as shit outside?
With maximum coziness.

>Nobody on the river
>Snow falling softly
>Sandwiches and a thermos full of hot cocoa spiked with brandy
>Wool sweater

It honestly doesn't get much comfier than fishing a tailwater in winter.
>>
>>685728
>99% everclear
B-but, anon, Everclear is only 95% alcohol. 190 proof. And it tastes like absolute ass. Now, good shine, on the other hand... it's about as stronk as Everclear but tastes WAAAAY better. I prefer a good white with my koolaid, or some char if I'm mixing with redbull.
>>
File: IMG_20151118_145951716.jpg (4MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151118_145951716.jpg
4MB, 4160x2340px
>>685748
John Skinner uses fireline

Do you dare insult a legend?
>>
>>686095

...who?
>>
>>685827
what code?
>>
>>686280
code SAVE10 is still valid at Lucky Tackle Box. It's popping up in my sidebar ads
>>
>>686095

John skinner also uses spiderwire lol.

How many 50# stripers have you caught surfcasting at night? Lol
>>
File: 1423578689050.jpg (40KB, 500x368px) Image search: [Google]
1423578689050.jpg
40KB, 500x368px
>>686345
off to the place!
>>
>>685748
Fireline braid professional is the shit fuk u
>>
>>686355
I'm a dumb ass and did both MTB & LTB
Will post when they arrive.
>>
>>686358
just mean youll get more shit.

also unrelated to the reply my abu garcia will be a jig and swim bait rod- it doesnt like low density things. i put a jughead and curl tail about the same weight as one of my crank baits on it, casted, and it went perfectly. then i did the crank bait (wind to my back) and it went horribly.
>>
>>686359
I'm looking at is as it will force me to use gear that's outside my current comfort zone. Things I wouldn't normally buy but I'll tie it to a line and try it since I have it. Worst case is I'm out about $100 for 3 or 4 months or crap. That was a week's worth of cigarettes which I've quit so it's all good.
>>
File: snau.jpg (15KB, 312x473px) Image search: [Google]
snau.jpg
15KB, 312x473px
>want to go fishing
>its doing this outside
>its not been doing that long enough for ice
>need someone to rescue me from this frozen hell
>>
>>686405
i guess ill just go sledding or something
heres hoping the hill i live on is steep enough
>>
>>685948
I need to get some of those weighted hooks. No idea why I don't own any yet. It's hard to get a good action with a regular jighead if you are just trying to make the lure swim like a normal minnow. Normally I gotta reel fairly quick or keep the rod tip real high.

>>685881
As always, if you are fishing murky or dark water and want to draw a little attention to the bait, you can add a beetle spin or the little jig heads with a spinner on them. I'm not only a Mepps and Power Pro shill, but also Abu Garcia and Beetle Spins and whoever makes those jigheads with the blades.

>>686359
Really? Even with the wind to your back? That's strange, I have never really noticed a difference like that. Only time I have problems is when I try and throw a lure really hard and it birds nests because the spool and line starts moving faster than the lure. Now I just kinda lob it and let the speed from the tip of the rod do all the work on long casts.
>>
>>686408
>sledding

I haven't been sledding since I was a little kid, we rarely have enough snow accumulate here to allow it, maybe once every 4-5 years or so.
>>
>>686405
Looks cozy as all get-out, fampai. Quiet time on a snowy shore is something to be treasured
>>
>>686405
no shit, my reels are strung, I'm ready to get out and it's the same here, no ice, just a thin coating.
>>
Lucky Tackle Box
3 hrs ·

Great news, boxes have shipped!

So they are on their way to you... but there was a little issue with our tracking file so we're working on getting that together and will have that for you later today or tomorrow morning.
>>
>>686409
its weird. either i have to settle for under 30 feet for a cast with 0 acuracy or i can try to heave it, get the same distance, plus a back lash.
maybe if i use it for heavier things this summer it and i will both break in and ill be able to cast those crank baits.
>>
>>686414
i try to go every year theres snow, even if i only do a few runs at the hill in kent.
>>686416
there is some ice. a thin layer stretching 10-30 feet, depending. it looks like it will just get it the way, and if i actually do get a fish on it will get under the ice and ill break it off.
>>
File: starting to freeze.jpg (6KB, 242x208px) Image search: [Google]
starting to freeze.jpg
6KB, 242x208px
>>686416
theyre kinda doing this where just the edges are barely frozen
>>
>>686386
ive got a prepaid card (basically a gift card thats valid anywhere) with a little over 10 dollars on it. im off to get a bass, and a fly fishing box!
>>
>>686498
You can only use the code once, so order the bass one from Lucky and the Trout one from Mystery or whatever.

I believe the code for Mystery still work. "GET499"
>>
>>686498
nvm on the fly box, its 20 bucks
>>
>>686499
nvm for that reason too
they did give me a 5 dollars off next order for tackle warehouse, though, so imma buy a small bait off of there and see what that does. anyone have any reccomendations on jigs? i think thats what i want to pick up.
>>
>>686509
What do you mean by jigs? And for what?
>>
File: image.jpg (83KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
83KB, 640x1136px
>>686510
>tfw I have no idea what they all do, how to fish them, or what they are even supposed to be

Are they supposed to replicate crayfish or something, do you normally want to run a rubber trailer on the end of it? Does anybody really use them on the regular?

Enlighten me...
>>
File: images.jpg (13KB, 244x206px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
13KB, 244x206px
>>686510
like jigs.
finesse, football, or flipping.
i know you personally are not overly familiar with them if i remember, but i just want a good general use type and colour, maybe two types in one colour, two colours of the same type, or two different types of different colour
bearing in mind the deepest water i fish is 20 feet, rarely exceeding 15, but of every different clearity
>>
>>686517
Is that when you normally run them? Deep water along the bottom?

And what about trailers or whatever? Do you pop a rubber crawdad or grub on them a lot?

If you are running them deep, I might have to grab a couple for those warm summer months. Huck em from shore and run them along the bottom in deeper parts of these lakes.
>>
>>686514
craw dads is the only thing i know to mimmick with them. it might just be one of those baits that its like "it doesnt really look like anything, but fish eat them"
i mean useing those round red/white bobbers with a trebel hook tied directly below it and twitching it in like a popper i caught a bass.
this was back when i was 10 and didnt really know anything and screwed around at the local lake but i still did it
>>
>>686519
>>686517
>>686509
these are all me btw, this is the blind leading the blind i think
and i dont think water depth would really matter. i can see creeping and twitching a jig along the bottom in 5 feet of water as well as i can 15
>>
>>686520
I'm just saying if they are meant to run along the bottom moreso, might be worth a try when it is warmer or I want to fish something deeper than 3' below the surface.

I might as well pick up a couple if people are really having luck with them. I always get frustrated running shit along the bottom though. With Texas and Carolina rigged worms, they always come out of the water covered in crap. I just get frustrated and switch over to a crank or spinner.
>>
>>686521
i heard theyre good for the spawn. run it in to a nest and momma bass thinks theres a craw dad looking for an easy meal.
>>
>>686517
Finesse jigs catch the most bass, go figure.

In the bass world 20 foot isn't deep.

Jigs are pretty straightforward. Fishing in brush? Brush jig
Fishing in rocks or deep current? Football jig
Skipping docks or other cover? Skipping jig
Want to fish a spinnerbait but the fish are too skittish or the water is too skinny? swim jig

I stick to finesse, brush, and swim jigs myself.
>>
>>686529
I was thinkin about the football headed ones because I hear they stay vertical when they run along the bottom.

Do some of them have stiffer weed guards or something? I def gotta try a couple different ones.

What are finesse and swim jigs for specifically? Would you pop a Gulp minnow or something on the back of a swim jig?
>>
>>686529
i only know one lake near me deeper than 35 not counting erie
this little lake called lake hodgeson near me, its (allegedly) 80 feet deep in one spot.
>>
>>686533
actually foot ball jigs lie flat, in my experience

heres a little video by some kid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzYstJWNlPc
>>
>>686529
to expand.

Yes, jigs are mostly used to mimic crawfish. You run them along cover in a crawl. if you hit a rock with the jog then rock the jig up against that rock a few times and pause it, then pop the jig up off the rock. That entices reaction bites fairly well. after all crawfish make ticking noice and hide next to and under rocks. when they get spooked they will pop up off the bottom and shoot for cover somewhere else.

Jigs are essential in a tackle box for bass because when bass are holding tight to cover or structure they allow you to keep that bait within the strike zone much longer than other baits. You also waste less time fishing empty spaces when you know where the bass are. Flip it onto a tree, stump, pillar or anything, pop it up and down, pause it, drag it a bit then wind it in and hit the next piece of structure or cover you see,

>>686533
Brush jigs have a flat bottom to the head and they stand up well, also using a saltless trailer will stand them up as well.

weed guards are more brand specific than anything. Some put way too stiff of weed guards on their jigs simply because they allow you to thing the guard how to how you prefer it. Same with the skirt. Shortening a long skirt will give the jig a more full looking body.

Finesse jigs are smaller and typically have a round head. Finesse anything usually means a smaller more subtle version of a lure. They help get more bites when fish are finicky or you're just in an area with a lot of smaller fish. Swim jigs are straight forward cast and wind. Not a typical jig. Obviously you can kill it mid cast or pop it a bit as you're winding just to vary the cadence but other than that they're mainly used for fishing grass beds and grass lines.
As for trailers anything works. I typically use a curly tail grub or a ribbon tail minnow for sim jigs and a beaver style bait for any other jig. If I'm fishing colder water and need to slow it down you can always put on a paddle tail minnow.
>>
>>686536
80 foot isn't unusual for a lake up north. Usually the farther north you go the deeper the lakes get.

typically 15 and under is considered shallow. and 30+ is getting deep.

>>686537
Looking at the video thumbnail reminded me. It's VERY important to use a brush jig or any jig with an inset eye when fishing heavy cover. the eye and subsequently the knot will rub against stuff and weaken or the jig could get hung up all together. Jigs should also fit what rod you're using. If you don't have a rod with a stiff enough backbone to set the hook of a good sized football jig with a heavy gauged hook then you shouldn't fish those.
>>
>>686537
>>686538
Damn, that along with the video explained a lot. I'm def going to try it out a little bit. Grab a couple more natural colors, one of those jet black ones like in that video, and maybe a bright one. Probably a pack or two of something good for trailers as well if I can fit em in my tackle box.
>>
>>686544
its mostly reservoirs that are within reasonable driving distance of me, hence the shallowness.
what about putting a split ring on the eye, if its exposed, would that help keep the knot from rubbing?
>>
>>686548
id just get a small pack of something or other, like that guy reccomends the chigger craw from berkly powerbait
>>
>>686544
what ive got is a shimano rod. its 7 feet long, rated for lines 8-17, weights up to 5/8 of an ounce, medium power, and fast action. its wearing an abu garcia ambassadeur spooled with 30 pound test thanks to pepsifag who i like to spite his sinfull, non-cocacola ways
>>
>>686563
>>686544
its model number is fx c-70mb2 if that means anything. its a budget rod, ill admit, but it was a gift so...
>>
>>686563
I drink Diet Coke btw
>>
>>686568
ew diet... at least its coke, ill give you that.
>>
File: image.jpg (224KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
224KB, 640x1136px
I think I may head to Bass Pro and take advantage of my ultra-elite super secret membership and access the early sale prices. They have a lot of lures on sale, so I could probably grab some jigs and trailers for a little cheaper.
>>
>>686571
Shit, I forgot to add. As long as we're on the topics of jigs, what's the verdict on chatter baits? Anybody use them?
>>
>>686538
if you could only have one jig, what would it be? like every other jig and skirt went out of production and there was no way to change the colours, what would you rock?
>>
>>686574
Pls tell, I'm on my way to Bass Pro and I will probably buy one.
>>
>>686563
Medium power refers to the stiffness of the rod. Thats good enough for finesse jigs and smaller brush jogs. I started out with an ambassadeur myself. Most people do. They decent reels. I recommend Lew's reels if you every really get into the sport though.

Whats most important to know about line is the difference in diameter and properties. A thicker diameter isn't going to cast as far as a thinner diameter, but it will be stronger. For smaller to medium size baits like finesse jigs or square bill crankbaits I like a 12-14 lb mono or about 20 lb Flurocarbon. Braid has a lot of good uses but I don't use much of that. Flurcarbon isn't elestic and doesn't stretch, similar to braid. That means you will feel what happening to your bait better than you will with mono, also your rod actions will have greater effect on your bait. Fluro and braid are used fishing jogs because it's very important to feel what kind of structure and cover your jig is hitting. also since it's a bait paused on the bottom some fish can suck it up and sit on it and you wouldn't even know it without a sensitive line/ rod to feel the light hit.

I throw mono on when I'm fishing with smaller hooks like trebles. The stretch in the lines helps keep tension on fish to prevent hook throwouts and also keeps me from ripping the hooks out of the fished mouth on bad hooksets.
>>
>>686563
also line rating is usually specified for Mono, since it's the most common line used. The real rating should be based on line diameter. 17 lb mono would be equal to maybe.. 25-30 lbs fluro and 50lb+ braid.
>>
>>686586
The brush jisg I use more than anything are local made and sold out of a bait shop on the lake. If you want something that would get your hits for sure and get your confidence up in jig fishing look for a round headed finesse jig with an inset eye if you can.

Watermelon, pumpkinseed, crawfish, blackblue,white/silver depending on prey items most eaten by your local fish.

Remember, Dark colors for dirty water, more natural colors for clear water.
>>
>>686596
i had some shitty lo-pro shakespere reel about 5 years ago, the rod broke, i set the reel aside in my dads barn, intending to put it on a new rod, eventually, it corroded and is essentially a paper weight now, and now ive got an ambassadeur spooled with 30 pound braid.

if you had a similar set up, and could only get one jig to do nearly anything what would you throw on there?
>>
>>686605
something like http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Molix_Nano_Jig/descpage-MOLXNAN.html ?
>>
>>686613

Brush jig. They don't get hung up and they're also versatile. You don't NEED a swim jig to swim a jig. Brush jigs can work for swimming and flipping and skipping.

The only jig that you absolutely can't replace with another kind of jig is a football and thats because football jigs allow you to have a large weighted jig and the wide head prevents them from getting caught in the crevices of rocks. Whereas most all other jigs have a slimmer head profile that do get caught in rocks easy.
>>
>>686615
That looks like a great jig. 1/8th ounce is typical size for finesse jigs but if you can't keep bottom contact enough in a bit of current upping it to 3/16th works.
>>
File: 20151101_091155.jpg (2MB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20151101_091155.jpg
2MB, 2560x1536px
So many people complaining abot winter cold here... Well, some times makes 20Cº here... when it's night... on winter. Wellcome to the tropical desert!
>>
>>686621
Is that Eagle Lake?
>>
>>686624
Nop, SĂ£o Francisco River, Brazil.
>>
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Umm, I hope these work.

On the other hand, those sale prices were decent. $32 after tax for everything here. But my one gripe with Bass Pro is that their sale prices and points system might be the most goddamn confusing system of anywhere I shop. And they don't carry enough PowerBait, mosltly just worms.

>500 Bonus Points!
Umm, so when do I get those points? Sometime within the next 4 weeks? Uh, ok.
>>
>>686616
Maybe something like http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Revenge_Flip_Jigs/descpage-RFJ.html or http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Nichols_Dee_Thomas_Finesse_Flipping_Jig/descpage-NICDEET.html in 3/8 oz as a General "do it all" jig?
>>
>>686628
For the record, Zoom baits are all 25% off, Rooster Tails are BOGO, and those Strike King Bitsy Flips were $1.69.

There are a few random deals on lures with the "Spring Fishing Classic" but some of it is retarded because it is rebates. PowerBait is a $10 rebate if you buy 4 packs, so that ends up being like $2-$3 per pack, but I'm too lazy to ever fill out a rebait form and cash a $10 check so totally not worth it. And a lot of the sales are on BPS store brand.
>>
>>686621
Lucky jerk. It's -11c here
>>
File: image.jpg (82KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
82KB, 640x1136px
>>686631
>>
File: QuickMemo+_2016-02-11-20-27-47.png (37KB, 320x480px) Image search: [Google]
QuickMemo+_2016-02-11-20-27-47.png
37KB, 320x480px
>>686632
>>
>>686637
I never asked, can ypu huck that Mepps #5 with that Abu reel?
>>
16°F
Feels Like 1°
>>
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>tfw I have no idea how to fit these new Zoom baits in this box

>>686630
One more good deal they have going at Bass Pro over the next week or so is BPS brand 360 and 370 tackle boxes, I thing they are 4 for $10. They normally run $6-$7ea so if anybody needs new boxes, that price is probably worth ordering online.

They also have a handful of Plano tackle bags for 25% off. And with that 4 for 10 deal on the plastic boxes, if any of you guys want to upgrade from an old school plastic flip-top box to a bag, you can probably grab a Plano Weekender and 4x3600 boxes to go in it for around $30.

I think Spider Wire and a few other lines are on sale too. But Dick's does BOGO 50% off PowerPro once every couple months so I just wait around for that if anything.
>>
File: image.jpg (81KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
81KB, 640x1136px
Since this is my personal blog, I have another question for you wise fellows...

Somebody mentioned using weighted hooks instead of regular jig heads for swim baits. So I was checking them out today. I noticed a lot of them have this little spring deal on them. What is the purpose of that spring?

I ended up buying some without that spring because I had no clue what it did. One more question, why are all of those weighted swimbair hooks fuckhueg? The ones I grabbed are size 3/0 and I think they only weigh 1/16oz. I'm sure the weight of the swimbait will add enough to make it cast fine. But I would've preferred 1/8oz except all of those hooks were huge. I wanted to buy something that I could still hook into a 2"-3" minnow bait.
>>
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>686649
Just noticed these ones don't have the spring, but rather this little spike.

What the hell is this for?
>>
>>686649
>>686653
to stick into the front of a swimbait/worm when rigging it weedless instead of doing the hook through the nose part i dont likr weither of them to be honest
>>
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>tfw you might own too many lures
>>
>>686658
Ahh, I see. I never really rig swim baits weedless anyway. I don't run them along the bottom, plus with the hook on top of the bait, it barely catches on stuff if I run them through some weeds anyway. That's one of the positives about those swim baits.
>>
File: image.jpg (44KB, 572x445px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
44KB, 572x445px
>>686658
>>686660
Now with this pic, it makes sense why the hooks were all so damn big. I'm sure I could run those smaller Gulp 2" minnows like pic related with the 3/0 hooks I got if I wanted to. But those hooks should be a good size for rigging a 3" minnow normally with the hook out the top and trying to somehow jam the weight into the body of the fish.

I don't like rigging soft plastics weedless anyway unless I absolutely need to. I can't be the only one who feels like that's an easy way to lose a fish if they don't hit it just right and pop the hook all the way through.

Sorry for the millions of posts. I don't have real friends to talk fishin' with.
>>
I want to put together a rod and reel this upcoming spring. I've always bought rods with the reels already on them so I don't really know what i'm doing. I have two spinning rods already, what's the point in getting a baitcaster over that style? What brands should I not get? I just need alot of general knowledge because I was taught fishing by my dad and grandfather who were basically just: worm on hook, hook goes in water type of fishermen
>>
>>686662
depends 90% of my bass spots are weedy as fuck and almost unfishable unless i rig weedless where in fl a re you? i may be visiting wpb and need a fishing buddy
>>
>>686704
Like 30min south of WPB.

>>686701
We have mentioned the baitcaster thing so many times. I find that they cast a little better, but only heavier lures. A little more manageable with heavier line sometimes. Preference mostly.

And any of the major rod and reel companies all put out decent stuff. Even the store brands are really nice now and you can get good sales on those plus you get a lot for your money sometimes. Best bet is to read reviews on specific models, not brands. Sometimes a certain model will have one or two things that people don't like and you can tell when you read reviews and see patterns of the same problem on one rod or reel.

What's your budget? What are you planning to fish for? Anything that catches your eye so far? Maybe somebody here has used whatever you are thinking about and can tell you what to expect.
>>
>>686711
When I visit I may post and have you show me some nice spots ,
>>
>>686712
>wpb
>nice spots
>...

sorry FLA, couldn't resist.
>>
>>686713
Eh its to visit a friend, il probably travel a little anyways to fish
>>
>>686711
I was probably going to spend around $200-$250. I was thinking if I went the baitcaster route that I might make it my designated big fish rod but it's still up in the air. Probably be fishing for northern, bass, walleye, typical wisconsin fish.
>>
>>686716
Just looking for a place to wet a line and catch anything other then bluegill or other panfish interesting species ++
>>
>>686701
Baitcasters had a much heavier drag that allows for types of fishing that can't be done with spinning reels. The same goes for spinning vs baitcast. Everyone serious about sportfishing uses both.
>>
>>686722
For baitcasters anything under 100$ is fisher price tier. Lews has a good entry level baitcaster at around 130$.

Open face reels are a bit cheaper with good reels starting at around 70$+. The biggest thing to look for in Openface reels is to get a solid brand that has good reviews on it not falling to pieces or wearing parts out and to look for one with a smooth drag. If you don't have a smooth drag on an openface then you're kind of missing the entire point of an openface. Pflueger and Mitchel make some quality reels,

As for rods it all depends on the application. You need to look that up yourself as it's a bit more info. A 7'0 medium heavy is going to do a lot different things than a 7'8" Heavy. Most people recommend a 7' to 7'2" MH for a general purpose baitcaster rod. I haven't tried many brands of these but I personally use a Abu GArcia Vendetta. I was dumb and tried to use a full sized alabama rig when I first started and heard a crackling come from the rod on a cast and never touched the lure again. A few years later and nothing major has happened to the rod and I've caught a few 12+ lb catfish with it.

If you like fishing out of a kayak or canoe I suggest A spinning rod though. If you think it will help look for a rod with a shorter handle on it. A lot of people who fish out of Kayak can't use a full sized handle on a rod.
>>
>>686722
Reel
If you have large hands and need a reel that can tango with small pike, get the Tatula. it is a very competent caster and can be found for around 100 on ebay, although there are rumors it is going to be replaced when the tatula CT comes out at classic.
If you want a reel that can do it all, I recommend the curado or citica I. It is more palmable and is also a very competent caster. It also has a bearing supporting the pinion like the tatula. More than enough to deal with small northerns.
Concept A
A smaller, more palmable reel. Very suitable for bass and walleye. The thing is tiny and is comparable to a curado 50e. Does not have a bearing supporting the pinion gear.
Rod
I don't think that you will find a rod that can do pike and bass and walleye. I would suggest looking at the 2nd generation omen rods, specifically the 7'3" medium. That will be great for bass and walleye.
>>
>>686730

Yeah, no. There are spinning reels that are fine for large saltwater gamefish. Just pay attention to what you are buying
>>
You got me pepsifag, I spooled up my pier fishing setup with #30 powerpro instead of mono. I had it spooled with 250 yards of braid with the rest being mono backing. So far it really is more sensitive and casts much better. I caught a ladyfish yesterday and I felt it "taste test" my lure before it bit it hard.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>686859
Haha awesome. Just gotta be careful setting the hook too hard
>>
File: IMG_20151223_174449788.jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151223_174449788.jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
>>686730
You are fucking dumb.

Baitrcasters RARELY outclass spinning reels.

The only place they do is small game bass fishing.

You never see people catching sharks on measely baitrcasters.

They use spinning reels or football rigs.

Baitrcasters will never be as widely accepted as spinning reels for any ANY salt or inshore fishing.
>>
Louisianafag here. My friend invited me to fish in one of the bayous but I know almost nothing about fishing. What is a good beginner rod + bait? Is there a crash-course infographic someone could throw my way?
>>
>>686639
havnt tried yet, actually. probably, ill try later today.
>>
>>686880
what are you targeting? catfish, bass, panfish...?
>>
>>686882
It's just for fun, so anything that will bite. My internet research says that would be catfish and bass.
>>
>>686886
id go out and get an uglystik, medium action, spinning, either 6'6'' or 7' and a spinning reel to fit, i personally would say a shakespeare excursion because its cheap and readily available, and mine have lasted years. then buy a spool of 20 pound braid, and a mini spool (100 yards or so) of 8-10 pound test monofilament of flourocarbon leader. spool the reel with the braid, then tie on about a 5 foot leader of that 8-10 pound line, that will be perfect for panfish and bass, then if you are going after cats cut the leader and just use the straight braid. ive gotten 10 pound channel cats with the set up ive described, 7 pound bass, and even a 40 inch shark.
>>
File: rod repair kit.jpg (17KB, 425x340px) Image search: [Google]
rod repair kit.jpg
17KB, 425x340px
>>686890
and if anything breaks the reel is 20 bucks and the rod is 30-something so its not too hard to replace. id also advise having one of those "rod tip repair kits" theyre about 5-8 bucks to get one like pic related, and a lighter, ive had problems in recent years of the tips of uglysticks breaking (the insert in the tip top eyeguid falls out. heat the base of the guide up witht he lighter, pull it off with pliers, slip the new one on and glue it, dip it in the water to get it cool faster, youre back in buisiness.)
>>
>>686890
Thanks man. Any idea on bait?
>>
>>686880
To be honest, I'd see if your friend has an extra pole or two and enough tackle/bait for the both of you. I always tell all of my friends who don't fish a lot and don't really have any fishing gear to just come out fishing with me and use my stuff first before they go and buy a bunch of stuff that they don't need. That way you can get a good idea of what kind of rod/reel you want and you can see what sort of bait/tackle you like using.
>>
>>686902
As an addendum, I took a friend out fishing for catfish a couple of weeks ago. I told him not to worry about buying a rod/reel, bait, or any sort of tackle because I have plenty of that stuff. He didn't listen and bought a rod/reel combo, some pre-packaged "catfish tackle" kit, a fillet knife, some dough bait shit, and the only fishing line they had at that place was 8lb test so he bought a big spool of that.

The rod/reel was actually decent, it was a 2 piece 7' spinning rod/reel combo from shakespeare that was rated for like 12lb-25lb test line, perfect for the catfish we normally go after. The pre-made catfish tacklebox was full of mostly useless shit that I never use. I think the entire box might've had 2 treble hooks and 2 slip sinkers that were the appropriate size/weight but the rest of the stuff was useless. The blade on the fillet knife he bought was too heavy/stiff and, IMO, just sucked. The knife might be good for larger fish but for 2lb-5lb catfish I prefer a slender, flexible blade on my fillet knives. The dough bait didn't perform anywhere near as well as the CJ's Punch Bait that we normally use so he ended up using my bait and just put the dough bait up. I carry a couple of spools of 20lb test with me on the boat so we spooled his rod up with that and he didn't even use the 8lb test line he bought. I told him that he can get another, smaller rod/reel and use that 8lb test for bass or crappie or whatever but it was never gonna hold up to 1oz+ slip sinkers bouncing around on it while trying to pull catfish up from 30ft deep water in the middle of the lake.

He didn't waste TOO much money really, and like I said the rod/reel was perfect for what we were doing but I hate seeing all that extra tackle and bait that'll likely never get used.
>>
>>686906
im willing to bet that was an impulse. i bet he went in to k-mart or something, saw they had a poor excuse for a fishing section and decided to take a five minute look. he wound up with two things that happened to say "catfish" on them and some line.
>>
>>686912
Yeah, I'm sure it was. He went to the store to buy some snacks and drinks for the fishing trip and took a trip through their fishing section there and ended up buying all of that stuff. No big deal really since the rod/reel is fine and should serve him well for years to come but everything else was kinda useless.

My catfish tackle box consists of #4 and #6 treble hooks, 8/0 dual-action circle hooks, 3/4oz and 1 oz slip sinkers, 2oz and 3oz no-roll slip sinkers, barrel swivels, a few floats, and a spool of 20lb test for main line + a spool of 50lb test for shock leaders. I buy all the hooks and sinkers in bulk online. The BEST place I've found to buy lead sinkers is on ebay, where sellers pour their own lead weights and sell them in large quantities, it's MUCH cheaper than trying to buy them 2-5 at a time in little packages from retail stores.

His pre-made catfish tackle kit had all sorts of shit that's not really necessary, and half of the hooks / weights were WAY undersized, not to mention there were only like 2 of each kind of hook & weight.....
>>
>>686820
context means everything anon
>>
>>686876
If only this was a conversation about ocean fishing and not bass fishing.
>>
>>686923
im the same with the lines, but i have a wider assortment of circle hooks. i have #4 trebels, and then i have #2 Jhooks then circle hooks from 3/0-8/0 because i use natural baits a lot, like whole or cut shad, chicken liver, etc. then i have weights from as low as 1/2 an ounce to 5 ounces because sometimes i like to target smaller cats on bass gear.
>>
Jesus, this baitcaster vs spinning reel bullshit is as bad as AMD vs Nvidia or AMD vs Intel threads on /g/.......
>>
>>686935
About the only time I use circle hooks is when I'm using fresh caught shad or sunfish and targeting bigger blue catfish. Hell, I've caught little 2lb blues on those 8/0 Team Catfish Double Action circle hooks before. I have some 6/0 circle hooks in there too but I rarely see a reason to use them over the 8/0 size. Most of the time I'm targeting channel catfish though so I'm mainly using the treble hooks and stinkbait. #4 trebles are my preferred hook size but I'll use the #6 if the fish are smaller and/or not biting very aggressively. If you've never tried any CJs Punch Bait then I'd really recommend it to you for the channel cats. I've fished it side by side with chicken hearts/livers, shrimp, nightcrawlers, Danny King's punch bait, Team Catfish's punch bait, and several other blood & stink baits and it has consistently outperformed any other bait for channel cats. I like the Monster and Shad "flavors".
>>
>>686906
people will ALWAYS want their own rod and reel even if they know nothing about fishing , i have brought a friend out fishing a few times for trout and a few times out ( on a party boat) for flounder , sea bass etc, and now he wants his own rods , he wants a conventional style reel, but he likes to hold the reel under the rod and he reels backwards even endless backlashes dont teach him any better, when ive suggested a spinning reel he doesnt like it for some reason and asksb about spincast reels, finally ive gotten him to consider a spinning g reel and he now seems to think a setup like i have for bass, blues, and occational sharks will be fine for trout fishing in the rivers aswell, so i flat out told him he can have one of my rods for freshwater,
>>
>>686906
Point taken. But I'm looking at the prices and it's all very cheap.. The rod and reel recommended above I found at wal-mart for $50. Which is about what I spend every week on beer.
>>
>>686936
Theres been less than 4 posts on the subject. Man up faggot.
>>
>>686659
I know that feel all to well. I purchased the surplus inventory from a bait and tackle shop that went under. I paid $500 for an ungodly amount of lures, plastics, and terminal tackle. I kept a bunch. Sold the duplicates at local flea market. I have probably sold a little more than half the original stock but still have more than I could use in a life time. Alot of the companies no longer exist. Got a bunch of lures from a company called "the producers" quality stuff but I have never seen it anywhere else. Had close to 100 of "uncle josh's pork baits" i couldnt use them fast enough. After about a year the pork strips looked like jerky. Should have sold some but they were just so productive.
>>
>>686995

Uncle josh discontinued pork rind strips recently. That find would be worth a good amount if you had it now lol
>>
>>687045
Oh I still got 2 dozen or so. The strips are worthless. Even though the packages were unopened the strips dryed and shriveled. (Its been at least 5 years since the purchase) I just keep them for the jigs they come with.
>>
>>686936
In the trucker thread on /o/, there is a pastebin link in the OP always that has good and bad companies for rookies to work for.

Maybe we need one of those for spinning vs casting.

I still use spinning reels the most, but I think casting reels are nice because you can run a little heavier setup for 1/2oz+ lures without a fuckhueg reel which is nice.
>>
>>687103
I'll post one later tonight. I am expecting to go through a minimum of 10+ revisions before people are satisfied/happy.
>>
>>687103
Eh, I think it comes down to personal preference too much for there to be a general consensus on the topic.

Maybe a pastebin that lists "good" reels (both baitcasting and spinning) in different price brackets, as well as rods to accompany them or something. I'm still a firm believer that some of the older, used baitcasters are the best value for the dollar spent when it comes to buying a reel. The old Abu Garcia baitcasters like the 5000c and 6500 c3 can be found for well under $100 on ebay in good condition, replacement parts are readily available for them, and you can even upgrade their drag systems to use the newer carbon fiber friction material as well.

I'm the fag that always says that I prefer baitcasters for applications where I use 20lb+ test mono line but prefer spinning reels for anything under that btw. It's just a personal preference that I have but nothing anyone else says will make me feel any different.
>>
>>687111
>Eh, I think it comes down to personal preference too much for there to be a general consensus on the topic.

>Eh, I think it comes down to personal preference too much for there to be a general consensus on the topic.

theres no preference about it. They do two different jobs. Just because you only do a type of fishing the requires one doesn't mean that you wouldn't or shouldn't be using the other so should you decide to expand your fishing horizons.

I take both with me every time I go fishing.
>>
>>687111
Those are good reels and yes, it's hard to find good reels that have no plastics parts in them under $100. but they're several limited on what you can use them for. I use them for carp and catfishing. Never would I waste my time flipping docks or heavy cover with them.
>>
Baitcasters are literally a meme, they add a ton of complexity to something that should be simple and reliable.
>>
>>686941
my brother did the opposite. he used a spinning reel and held it so the reel was on top and reeled backwards.
>>
>>687164
I bet you also drive an automatic.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>687172
>dat 10spd life tho
>>
>>687172
The advantages to driving a stick are minimal if you just use your car to go from point A to B.
>hurr durr it involves more effort to use so it must be better!
>>
>>687175
Nobody is saying to use a baitcaster to float a worm under a bobber you dipshit.

Everything you say is completely childish.
>>
File: i014240.jpg (35KB, 927x498px) Image search: [Google]
i014240.jpg
35KB, 927x498px
>>687174
that's what i imagine the dashboard of pic related to look like
>>
>>687175
Weird, thats the argument my grandma uses for using a spincast over a spinning rod.
>>
>>687180
>greater capacity
>better drag
>less resistance on the line when casting
>stronger
>easy to untangle
>easy to service
>often have higher gear ratios
>can get a decent spinning reel for just slightly more than a spincaster

The advantages to using a spinning reel are substantial when compared to spincasters unlike when comparing baitcasters to spinning reels.
>>
>>687186

just stop
>>
File: troll.png (68KB, 273x200px) Image search: [Google]
troll.png
68KB, 273x200px
>>687186
>>687175
>>687164
>mfw
>>
>>687191
>>687188
>baitfags literally have no argument
>>
>>687193
Theres no point in even trying to argue with you. This happens literally every thread. Some guy talks like he loves fishing but he can't handle that other people enjoy fishing in another way. Telling a guy who loves bass fishing on Eagle lake to use a spinning reel instead of a baitcaster is the dumbest shit I could think of happening. How are you going to pull a 8+ lb bass out from a hole in a submerged tree without 20+ lbs of drag and a rod with a stiff enough backbone to handle it all while being able to accurately place a 1/4 oz. lure within a few inches of target area and and winding it in at a 7:1 ratio.

Who cares if it's not your idea of fishing. It's fishing and it brings a ton of money into the world that allows companies to put the money into making spinning reels and rods for the finesse applications of the sport that the rest of the world benefit from. Dismissing it because you hate it and refuse to acknowledge it exists just so you can try and win some stupid argument you started on the internet is childish.
>>
File: Reel Chart.png (146KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Reel Chart.png
146KB, 1920x1080px
Should I add any other reels to ultra high end baitcasters?
>>
>>687200
Well, you should probably put make + model captions on there so people know what you're talking about, as well as showing prices (in parenthesis).

I'm not familiar with "ultra high end" fishing shit DESU. I'm not a trophy bluefin fisherman or anything. I think the list should be stratified in weight/line capacity classes as well as price classes too.

Good on you for showing some initiative and beginning the infographic though, lord knows I'm too lazy to do it myself. If this eventually turns into something like the logical increments guides that falcon from /g/ puts together for computer components/peripherals then that'd be awesome.

http://www.logicalincrements.com/monitors
>>
>>687206
Faclon still does that? I haven't been to /g/ since 09.

damn
>>
>>687208
I'm not sure if it's still falcon that's doing all the work still or if he's handed it off to someone else but it's better and more comprehensive than ever, not only covering components but mice, keyboards, monitors, and laptops now.
>>
>>687193
>baitcasters have stronger drag
>bairtcasters are more pleasant for using heavier baits
>baitcasters are inherently stronger due to their lower profile on the rod (less torque on the reel seat)
>baitcasting reels generally have a greater number of aftermarket upgrades
>baitcasting reels usually have more replacement parts available
>baitcasters are generally available in a wider variety of gear ratios
>baitcasters generally last longer
>baitcasters more often have bait runners built in
>baitcasters with bait runners usually are fairly loud and easy to hear
>baitcasters are not that much harder to use (oh dear lord please save me, i have to touch my spool when i cast!)
>baitcasters generally hold more line for their weight (getting 250 yards of 20 pound mono in a spinning reel takes a pretty big, heavy reel, while getting it in a casting reel takes a relatively small reel)
that is why i absolutely hate using my spinning surf rod. its fucking heavy and unpleasant, compared to my casting surf rod

>spinning reels are slightly easier to use
>spinning reels are easier to cast light baits with
blahdy bla fucking blah

>tl;dr
>some reels are better for some scenarios than others
>who ever could have guessed that there are designs that work better in some scenarios than others
>>
File: mackerel.jpg (218KB, 697x487px) Image search: [Google]
mackerel.jpg
218KB, 697x487px
Is it just me or do saltwater fish just look prettier? Their colors are more vibrant and their scales are much shinier.

Freshwater fish are really ugly tbqfh.
>>
>>687216
Theres about a million more species of saltwater fish. Basically confirmation bias.
>>
>>687216
its because the saltwater fish have all kinds of beautiful blue oceans full of colourful coral and other structure to blend in to, while freshwater fish have weeds, mud, rocks, and black boot-stealing sludge to blend in to
>>
my business wanted WV DoR IT-141 earlier today and came across a company with lots of sample forms . If others need to fill out WV DoR IT-141 as well , here's a <a href="http://pdf.ac/24Y8tb" >http://pdf.ac/24Y8tb</a>
>>
File: what am i reading.jpg (29KB, 520x362px) Image search: [Google]
what am i reading.jpg
29KB, 520x362px
>>687220
not sure if potential free stuff, or identity stealing asian viruses
>>
>>686892
>Ugly stik
>breaking

Seriously, I have been using ugly stiks for 20+ years and I have yet to break one. I have broken Abu Garcia rods, berkley cherrywoods, a zebco rhino (which is hilarious because it said "indestructible" on it) and a $200 St. Ctoix. But never an Ugly Stik.
>>
>>687228
its litterally the only thing ive ever had go wrong with an uglystik. over the past 5 years every uglystik except for one ive owned had the tip eyeguide insert fall out.
>>
>>687229
>>687228
if it was a gun id trust my life to everything else about it. its the glock of the fishing world. cheap, reliable, and every shop has a few sitting around. the only thing is you dont want to carry it in the factory holster (trust that tip eye guide)
>>
File: rainbow_trout.jpg (42KB, 397x223px) Image search: [Google]
rainbow_trout.jpg
42KB, 397x223px
>>687216
>implying raibow trout are ugly
>>
File: IMG_20150511_133940067.jpg (3MB, 2432x4320px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150511_133940067.jpg
3MB, 2432x4320px
>>687216
Not pretty
>>
>>687233
that's some of the prettiest whirling disease I've ever seen.
>>
File: image.jpg (69KB, 640x301px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
69KB, 640x301px
>>687216
>not pretty
>>
>>687216
>Is it just me or do saltwater fish just look prettier?
It's where you live.
>>
>>687231
cobia are not pretty, but there are more pretty saltwater gamefish than freshwater
>>
File: IMG_20150710_184536484.jpg (4MB, 4320x2432px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150710_184536484.jpg
4MB, 4320x2432px
>>687233
brookies are the most beautiful fish to grace the earth.
>>
>>687238
He survived for about a year in a pond at our hatchery with little flow going through it along with 13 other brookies I found while preparing it for the next year when we were going to put fish in it

Had to take a picture of it

Actually we aren't sure 100% if it were whirling or if someone stepped on it when it was little and it survived
>>
>>687251
>>687258
rainbows
>>
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>687200
Jesus christ, what happened in this thread?

>>687216
South America has lots of neat looking fish. Same with Africa. A lot of stuff from the cichlid family. You could also add pumpkinseeds to that, and northern pike and musky are pretty cool.

But saltwater does have some crazy looking fish. It's the same when it comes to aquariums.
>>
>>687284
PepsiSan pls learn how to make your cellphone camera focus on the fish instead of the grass behind it.....
>>
>>687285
yay for technology
>>
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>687285
I know it's annoying as hell. I have to tap the screen a bunch of times on the fish so it tries ti focus on that but it focuses on the grass anyway.
>>
>>687289
thats how you do it, put the fish on the grass!
>>
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>687290
Seriously tho, that is retarded design by Apple. Why does it always choose to focus on the background instead of the thing in the middle of the frame and close to the lens?
>>
File: 20160115_204318.jpg (871KB, 2048x1350px) Image search: [Google]
20160115_204318.jpg
871KB, 2048x1350px
>>687292
>Apple
Need I say more?
>>
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>687296
It's terrible at taking pics through a car window as well
>>
>>687289
Or yaknow put your hand behind the fish and the fish closer to the camera
>>
>>687290
Yes, rubbing off it's slime coat for a picture!

worth.
>>
>>687304
Apple apologist detected.
>>
File: chart_thingy.png (68KB, 922x942px) Image search: [Google]
chart_thingy.png
68KB, 922x942px
Holy shucking fit I hit the bar & I come back to baitcaster vs spinning mayhem!? I'm too lit to put together my own "How do I picked rod?" graphic but this guy's image is pretty spot-onto my own freshwater sport-fishing perspective. I mainly target bass but also snakehead, pike, pickerel, muskellunge, & pretty much anything that'll hit a lure. I'm a tackle addict with a preference toward baitcasters; my only do-all setups are my light spinning stuff so every baitcasting setup is purpose-built for a certain lure type... but the biggest take-away anybody should get from this image is that there is a *HUGE* amount of overlap & one setup can cover a lot of lure-choices/fishing-styles. I'm super-compulsive & tailor my setups for every lure type when I could easily combine them but for your beginner baitcaster or anybody just getting into fishing they need to know they can do a whole lot with a single getup instead of dropping thousands or six or ten different combos. If you're just starting out don't piss away your disposable income like I or others do unless you're absolutely sure fishing will be a lifetime hobby. It's too easy to turn two rods into twenty or a 12' jon boat into a 21' duck boat, especially if you're prone to the fishing bug. Start small & combine your setups until you're certain fishing is going to be a lifetime hobby. Otherwise you could easily sink thousands into something you may give up or cut back on a couple years down the road.

Also plenty of surf-casters may use spinning setups (an argument I saw above) but that doesn't somehow nullify the value of either baitcasters or conventional (non level-wind) casting reels in a surf-casting environment. Anybody who immediately discredits casting reels for nonsensical reasons probably had one birds-nest & gave up out of frustration. Both reel types have their pros and cons, something an anon above unjustly got chewed out for already. Playing the middle ground just means both sides hate you, I guess.
>>
>>687347
That chart is cool.

But I would probably run like half of the weight line that it reccommends in almost every single situation.

>60lb braid for buzzbaits
Umm, no thank you.
>>
>>687347
>It's too easy to turn two rods into twenty or a 12' jon boat into a 21' duck boat, especially if you're prone to the fishing bug.

Ugh, no joke. In the last year I've bought like 3 rods and while in the process of looking for a 14'-16' little jonboat with ~15hp motor I ended up spending a couple thousand more on a bigger fiberglass boat with a 70hp motor. I just ordered some more circle hooks and will be buying a couple tubs of punch bait in the next week or so and I also have an old baitcasting reel that I don't have a rod for so I "need" to go buy yet another rod to put it on..... It never ends.
>>
>>687353
Yeah, I got field-limited I but I also wanted to point out that the fellow's image is very far from scripture. It's one bass fisherman's personal preferences. It just happens to be spot-on with the general recommendations you'll get for most of the charted setups. There is always room for variation/deviation from what is generally recommended.

The buzzbait line recommendation you specifically pointed out is definitely high compared to my personal preferences (12 to 17 lb mono) but that's very likely because he fishes his buzzbaits in the same environment most folks fish hollow-body frogs; atop or close to thick grass mats. But, of course, the chart is far from scripture and if you're like me your buzzbaits either run parallel to shore, along sea-walls, or on the outskirts of patchy aquatic grasses.

>>687358
I'm staring at fifteen rod/reel combos right now that I could probably cut into half if I weren't so exactly about retrieve-rates or line-type. But not to totally discredit purpose-built setups there are some setups that simply can't be shared amongst multiple lure types. My next big purchase is probably going to be a swimbait setup for multiple-ounce Huddleston swimbaits... setups like that are really only good for big soft-plastics and umbrella rigs. You can't diversify them too much beyond that. But I maintain that anybody just starting out shouldn't even consider beginning there anyway. It's far better to get something simple and versatile as a newbie so one can figure out what their favourite lure types/fishing style is and, if they find they enjoy the hobby, branch out from there.

A 6'5" to 7'4" medium-heavy to heavy, moderate-to-fast action spinning rod with a size 20 (Abu Cardinal SX20 for myself) reel spooled with 6 to 10 lb mono can do a whole lot starting off. That's when you start to figure out things like "Hey, this reel retrieves line too slow/fast" or "Hmm, I think this would work better if my line sank."
>>
>>687362
...weren't so exacting* about...

Damned booze. Made the "far from scripture" statement twice as well, it seems.
>>
>>687365
We forgive you

>>687362
I have 9 combos going right now. And that's after giving 3 to my brother a few months back. If I start doing saltwater more, I could easily add another 3-4 setups. I still want to get a nice ultralight setup one day and maybe a second nice baitcaster. I'm pretty content now though. Especially since I walk around lakes.

I normally just bring 2 spinning combos- 15lb regular braid on one and 10lb "flouro braid" that sinks on the other. And then a baitcaster with 20lb braid.
>>
>>687347
>7 ft med heavy for everything
>8 lb mono on one
>15 lb braid with 8 lb mono leader on other (occationally 12 lb flouro)

Never needed anything else
>>
>>687369
>maybe a second nice baitcaster.
I finally decided on the Abu Revo SX High-Speed for my frog rod. I've still gotta figure out what braid to use but I've got months to decide before the grass thickens up here in the mid-atlantic. I did decide it'll be 50# which should be close to 12# mono in diameter.

And I forgot to ask, how are you liking that Revo STX by the way? What purpose(s) are you finding it good for?

>I normally just bring 2 spinning combos- 15lb regular braid on one and 10lb "flouro braid" that sinks on the other.
I started off a strictly light-spinning fisherman and learned to use lot a lot of lures on either 6 or 8 lb Trilene mono which is why I stress it so much above as a proper starting point. It really makes you learn how to vary your retrieve speeds based on lure types, and that carries over to baitcasters or even just different speed spinning reels. For example if one is using medium retrieve-speed caster for both medium crankbaits and spinnerbaits. One will figure out quick they need to reel a a bit slower so as not to retrieve the a crankbait too quickly but also to speed up their reeling to keep a heavy spinnerbait off the bottom or reel even faster still to keep it right above or barely grazing the tops of submerged aquatic grasses. Fishing that light mono makes you appreciate a properly set drag too, and appreciate the heavier line and higher-poundage drag that baitcasters can provide.
>>
>>687374
That's pretty decent unless you want to run real light or heavy for catfish. But that is similar to my 2 main spinning combos (except 6'6" rods).

Like I said, I mostly use those plus a baitcaster. I only break out the little heavier stuff for the rare catfish or live bait outing and then there is a light one with 6lb braid if I want to fuck around with panfish. But I can still cast 1/8oz lures fine on 10lb braid, and the 15lb will handle 1/2oz-1oz lures fine so it covers almost everything I do.
>>
>>687378
I have the SX in regular speed. 20lb braid on it, so I'll cast everything from Mepps 4 (1/3oz I think) up to heavier crankbaits and it works fine.

I'm not super picky about the speeds. I don't really like high speed reels anyway because I'm so used to a 5:1 spinning speed or 6.4:1 casting reel speed.

Check out Sportsman's Outfitters on ebay if you grab that Revo. I paid $115 with free shipping. They shipped really quick too. Would reccommend.
>>
>>687386
>I'm not super picky about the speeds. I don't really like high speed reels anyway because I'm so used to a 5:1 spinning speed or 6.4:1 casting reel speed.

Precisely! I'm turning into a drunken, broken record but that's exactly what I'm talking about when it comes to do-all spinning setups for beginners. One develops a proper feel for things and instinctively knows when to reel faster/slower based upon lure type. My poor buddy has never caught a fish finesse-jigging weedless grubs (easily my favourite light-spinning lure second only to jig-spinners). It's because he fishes everything like a spinnerbait in a steady cast-and-retrieve. One day I'll break him of that habit.

>Check out Sportsman's Outfitters on ebay if you grab that Revo. I paid $115 with free shipping.
My SX-HS L is already sitting in front of me and I paid about $125 via Amazon for it. It was about $10 or so cheaper than BPS but I am kind of kicking myself because BPS is doing their spring fishing dealy right now and I could've earned a bunch more points on my rewards card if I'd bought it there. At 4X points it would've made BPS only about $4.50 cheaper but then I'd have still spent the money on gas and bridge-toll getting there. Plus all the extra money I'd have spent simply because I stepped foot into BPS and I can't not spend money in that place... me in BPS is like dropping a junky off in the middle of a poppy field. Nothing good can come of it.
>>
>>687392
Heh, I was at Bass Pro last night. I know that feel. >>686628 Got a lot of crap for $30 tho.

They have that Revo SX on sale for $130 I think, but it is with a mail-in rebate. Fuck that.
>>
>>687392
>At 4X points it would've made BPS only about $4.50 cheaper

Correction - it would've made Amazon's, not BPS', price only ~$4.50 cheaper instead of $10'ish. But, again, a $6 bridge toll, fuel costs, and "ZOMG BPS TAKE ALL MY DOSH" would've killed any benefit the rewards points might've provided for me.
>>
>>687395
Those Bass Pro points take forever to add up to anything tho. Idk if Dick's is still the same, but their rewards system back in the day was the best. You would get like $10 back for every $100 spent. I always put my sister's phone number in, I should ask her if she has been getting a bunch of free stuff.

I did just use that little coupon for 500 free points at BPS, we'll see if that adds up to anything. But I would rather just wait for sales on stuff than trying to factor those points into anything. It ends up being like 1%, maybe a little more of the entire purchase. And spending $1000 at Bass Pro to get $10 in points is not worth it when you could get the same stuff on sale shopping around for $750.
>>
6 lb bass off a baby one minus in baby bass color

Countless others off of Texas rigged pumpkin baby brush hogs and tubes

Gary Yamamoto worms on a circle hook
>>
>>685667
>>685670
>>685679
>not drinking Miller High Life
Fucking plebs, the lot of you.
>>685689
>paying 10 bucks for a shitty, overhopped hipster beer so you can brag to all your lumberstache friends about how unmainstream you are
I'd rather suck on an aspirin tablet than drink an IPA. They taste about the same, come to think about it.
>>
>>685709
>not drinking cisco
If your going to drink syrupy trash, you might as well go the whole 9 yards.
>>
What's the fish you're the most proud of,?

A few years back I caught a largemouth bass 11 lbs , state record is 12lb 14 but that's still a bass of a lifetime for where I live especially

>every one of my bass over 6 lbs has been from the same pond
>every one of these bass has been caught ob the same thing
>>
So, I've been using spinning reels for close to 15 years, and have gotten used to reeling in with my left hand.

I've been thinking about getting a baitcasting reel, but can't decide if I should try to find a left handed baitcaster, or if I should just suck it up and relearn how to reel in with my right hand.
Any advice?
>>
>>687511
Caught this bad boy last summer with a tiny bit of marshmallow stuck to the end of my smallest hook.
>>
>>687516
Nice, I've also caught a bass smaller then half of a jointed rapala
>>
File: alabama craw jig.jpg (42KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
alabama craw jig.jpg
42KB, 400x300px
alright because im a poor fag, i ordered pic related in the 3/8 ounce size as my first jig. i had a -5 dollars code so i managed to get it for about 4 dollars after shipping with a 5 dollar gift card
i also got some of those weight stop things for 60-something cents, just because i didnt want to have a dollar sitting on that card nagging at me like "why, why do you just let a whole dollar sit here! please! spend me!" and its like "i cant, theres nothing i can get shipped to me from online for a dollar!"
long story short i took a shot in the dark about what to get and thats what i came up with.
>>
>>687514
id say go with your gut. i personally cant imagine using a baitcaster and reeling with my left hand, just like i cant imagine reeling with my right hand with a spinning reel. id say go with a traditional one, but get it somewhere that has good return policy. buy it, use it, if you like it, keep it, if not, take it back, say it doesnt work, then get the lefty version
>>
File: shark.jpg (41KB, 715x471px) Image search: [Google]
shark.jpg
41KB, 715x471px
>>687511
this 64 pound bull shark i got on the outer banks of NC at avalon pier. it looks small compared to me because im closer to 300 pounds, but still

i tried to beach it so i could release it but when i got it to the pier the line had wrapped around its tail and drowned the thing
>we gaffed it and pulled it up
>i butchered it, gave a little meat to anyone who wanted a bit
>grilled it tariaki style with a cajun fellow and fed the whole family
>cousins, aunts, uncles, everyone
that was a good vacation
>>
>>687516
kek, nice
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>687516
>>
File: image.jpg (140KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
140KB, 640x1136px
>>687607
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
wew
>>
>>687647
spanish mackerel are such a fun fight
>>
>>687607
Imagine one as big as the top section of your thumb
>>
I'm new to fishing. My cousin goes fishing bi weekly and let me have one of his rods.

I'm looking to buy a kayak so I can go both fresh and salt water fishing. Is that the wrong way to go about it? What should I know or learn? Where do I start? Sorry about all the questions.
>>
>>688017
I wouldn't go saltwater fishing on a yak until you're decent at fishing and very good at kayaking.
>>
>>688018
Freshwater it is.

What do?
>>
File: 2016-02-13 23.29.04.jpg (908KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
2016-02-13 23.29.04.jpg
908KB, 1600x900px
>>688017

Be ready to spend the money. A lot of what you're purchasing, will be guaranteeing your safety. Don't cheap out and put yourself in unnecessary danger.

Where will you be fishing? What are the water temperatures/conditions? How rough does the water/wind get etc...

A decent kayak will cost around $500+. A nice kayak will be around $1000. A top of the line hobie will cost $2000+ easily.

Factor that, plus a pfd, paddle, whistle, and the appropriate clothing. Plus all the needed fishing tackle. For example, I just spent $220 on a wetsuit fpr the colder seasons here. But its a safety/comfort thing, so its worth it.

I also recommend buying a bright colored kayak, and flying an orange flag, especially in salt. You don't want some drunk, weekend boater plowing over you at fullspeed...

Read up on kayak safety, watch youtube videos, and take a course if one is offered near you. Its worth it. Also be very aware of boating laws and regulations, so you know how to conduct yourself if you are in the presence of boats.
>>
>>688018

Its a good idea to get some experience in fresh water first. Make sure your able to understand and predict how conditions will effect the ocean before you attempt it. Wind, tide, etc...like I said before, make sure you have your safety gear, and try and fish with a buddy if you can.
>>
File: 2016-02-13 23.30.53.jpg (3MB, 3771x2121px) Image search: [Google]
2016-02-13 23.30.53.jpg
3MB, 3771x2121px
So, noob question. I just came across this while respooling.

There is a bar that runs across the spool in front of the curado. Before I run my line through the guide, do I go over or under that bar?

The photo shows braid over the bar.
>>
>>687365
made for a great read...
>>
>>688017
>>688018
>>688023
Just got a kayak as well. Planning on fresh & salt.
Can't wait for my 1st Nantucket sleigh ride.

PRO-Tip - I'm a stupid fucker.

The $ do add up fast which is why I got the yak in the fall, paddle & pfd in December, couple combos for Christmas.
Been buying tackle slowly since then as well as the kayaking essentials.

Last biggie I need is the GPS/fish finder
>>
>>688021
>What do?
After equipment the next step is where?
I researched every lake/pond within 50 miles. My state has lists of stocked ponds in the Fish & Game site.
Also easy to find topo's of the water bodies.
Visit them, places to park & launch.

When weather breaks I'm good to go.

Being autistic as fuck is a +++ sometimes.
>>
>>688023
Crap. I thought it was the inexpensive version of buying a motorboat if you're just gonna be going freshwater fishing in nearby rivers/lakes.

I'm a uni kid and I enjoy fish and fishing. I could eat fish every day. I'm tired of fishing on the shore and by piers. It's nice and all but I go home with half an empty bucket after a few hours. I want to go where the eating's at, and figured a Kayak would help me get there without breaking the bank.

I wouldn't mind not going on the salt 'til I graduate and start making real money.

There's also this reserve near me that has a hyper abundance of channel cats, and bass and I want to get to those nets and HARVEST them. I'm from the south so we love us some cats.

tl;dr: do I just have wishful thinking? am I being naive? is it not that simple?
>>
>>688047
Oh, also, the reason this ever even popped into my mind is because I made good with someone who's an assistant manager at a sports goods shop and they sell kayaks, so she would use her employee discount for me.
>>
>>688026
Over.
>>
>>688047
>Crap. I thought it was the inexpensive version of buying a motorboat if you're just gonna be going freshwater fishing in nearby rivers/lakes.

It is, senpai.
>No gas
>No maintenance
>No insurance/registration/licensing/etc.
>No trailer. boat ramp and/or truck necessary

A $2000 Hobie is the kayak equivalent of a $80,000 bass boat except that it costs 1/40th as much and has a relatively microscopic operating and upkeep cost.
>>
>>688064
This.
It costs me around $1500-2k per year simply to own a boat, that's before ever hitting the water.
Insurance, registration, trailer registration, basic maint, putting to sleep - winterizing.

Once all my kayak stuff is purchased there are no more costs.

Regardless, a boat is defined simply as a hole surrounded by water into which one throws money. I can attest this is true.
>>
>>688200
+1

Owned jet skis

Would really like to get a small motorboat but can't forget what a pit the jet skis were.
>>
>>688047
For freshwater you don't need a really nice kayak like that, but I wouldn't cheap out for saltwater
>>
>>688200
It doesn't cost me quite that much, but I have an old boat so don't carry insurance on it. It's around $250-$300 a year for boat + trailer registration and regular maintenance.

I got my boat + motor + trailer for $1500. It's a 1975 fiberglass deckboat with a 1974 Triumph 70hp 2-stroke motor and a dilly trailer.

I had to cut out the entire deck due to core rot and replace all the main beams underneath as well as the deck with new plywood. The control console was rotten as well so I built a new one of those. I also had to replace all the seats and upholstery on the boat. The motor ran fine when I got it but after 2 outings, the power pack blew so I had to put a new power pack on it. I replaced all the lights on the boat and rewired most of the electrical. Had to buy all the basics like life jackets, anchors, extra rope, extra gas cans, put together a basic toolkit to carry on the boat.... I had to pick up a new wheel+tire for the trailer as it didn't come with a spare, I replaced all the wheel bearings as well because they were shot, and replaced some of the rollers on it. I did lots of other work too but you get the idea of what I was dealing with.

I did all the work myself with some help from a friend. To get the boat on the water, including tax + registration fees and all material + basic supply costs, it was around an additional $1500. It took a few weeks to get all the repairs done, it was a very involved process and I have no earthly idea how much a repair shop would've charged for all that work.

Of course, the motor is 42 years old now and will likely go out on me at some point so then I'll be looking for a $500-$1500 used outboard plus $250-$500 for new controls and shit. Even doing all the work myself, repair parts and materials add up fast when you're talking about a motorboat.
>>
File: outrigger float.jpg (5KB, 167x303px) Image search: [Google]
outrigger float.jpg
5KB, 167x303px
>>688047
>go on craigslist
>buy used kayak
>150-300 bucks
>go to hardware store
> buy 1.5 inch pvc, a hole saw, some epoxy, bunjee cords, a regular drill bit, bar stock (id say 1/4x3/4and eye bolts
>drill two holes in the back with the hole saw, glue in two lengths of pvc,
>rodholders.jpg
>put the eyebolts in the 4 corners of a square, one front one back
>runbunjees through all four
>tackle box and cooler holders.gif
>one eye bolt out the front side, one out the back side
>coffee can full of cement tied to a rope at each one, aka anchors
>two holes, one front one back with the hole saw
>more pvc sticking out to the side
>5 gallon water cooler tank like pic related
>glue
>drill holes in the ends of the bar stock. bend to shape
>bolt to kayak and pvc pipes to act as supports
>outriggers.jpg
>silicone caulk on all holes
>go. fucking. fishing
youll have to do some thinking and refining of your own, but this will get you out there for well under 500 bucks
>>
>>688282
Interesting concept. Can definitely expand on it. My 'yak is pretty wide and stable but I can see benefits to an outrigger.
Drawback is drag, less speed to destination, weight to launch.
>>
>>688290
thanks, i was going toi do something like that, but with the outrigger being removable, by running it through horisontal pvc pipes and held in place with set screws, so i can put it on if i know ill be fishing in a lot of wind or current or water that is otherwise rough, or i could leave it at home or in the car when its supposed to be calm.
>>
>>688278
>old boat so don't carry insurance
I need to carry high coverage because ski/wakeboard/kneeboard/tubing.
>>
>>688312
Ah, yeah that makes sense, I'd definitely have insurance if I was pulling people on skis or tubes or whatever. That little 70hp motor on my boat can barely get it up on plane when it's loaded down with 3-4 people and all of our fishing gear, so I'm not gonna be doing any watersports with it. It's strictly a fishing boat.
>>
File: 20160214_135732-1.jpg (351KB, 1268x960px) Image search: [Google]
20160214_135732-1.jpg
351KB, 1268x960px
Who ice fishing here?
>>
File: 101_2545.jpg (1MB, 4288x3216px) Image search: [Google]
101_2545.jpg
1MB, 4288x3216px
>>688328
me last year, we dont have enough ice here yet, and probably never will this year
>>
>>688328
2 times this year, then we had a melt, maybe more ice soon
>>
>>688282

You forgot a pfd (required by law) and a paddle. You could get one of those orange life jackets for very cheap, but you'll never wear it. A decent pfd you will forget you're even wearing.

But yes, I recommend diy-ing your kayak to hell and back. Some of the accessories which are stupidly expensive can be made for pennies on the dollar. $300 for a kayak trolley by hobie? $300 for fucking wheels and some aluminum? Fuck that, I made a trolley with some spare pvc and old wheels I had laying around.

If you're sticking to warm freshwater, you can go a little cheaper. Water under 60 can be dangerous, regardless what anyone here says. Do the research yourself. In mid summer the water is 60+ degrees, I dont wear special protective clothing besides my pfd, and a "quickdrying" polyester long sleeve. Its very cool, and provides sun protection, as well as drying quickly after it gets wet.

Don't forget your fishing licence as well. Also launch spots generally require some kind of permits for parking and access as well. Do the research before you go.
>>
>>688290

If you were really crafty you could figure out some kind of locking hinge system.

Need the outriggers? Flip em down, lock em in place. Read to go? flip em up and go.

Alot of people use the built in rod holders and pvc to hold outriggers. It requires some tinkering to get the angle correct, but it would be fairly easy to make deployable outriggers.
>>
>>688328
Haven't been out yet due to working a lot and sleeping when I'm not working, but I've been told that I'm not missing out, nobody is catching shit, and visibility for sturgeon spearing is damn near nonexistent because the shitty start to the winter.

I always preferred warm weather fishing anyway.

Anyone here use setlines or similar? I've been thinking about setting a few bank lines on the river by my house for turtles, last summer my 10 year old neighbor brought a big one on a line up to my house asking what to do with it.
>don't fucking touch it you little shit, it's not your line
>>
File: 20150214_130300.jpg (3MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
20150214_130300.jpg
3MB, 4160x3120px
>>688328
Caught this Laker last February
>>
>>688345
i figured those were implied, considering the kayak will almost always come with a paddle and has no way to move otherwise (unless you are putting a trolling motor on there, which ill admit can get you moving like hell with that light of a craft)
is the law that you have to have it on board, or that you have to be wearing it, because if its that it must be on board ive got a shitty orange one sitting around, and i can just stuff that in there till i get a nice one.
>>
>>688386
depends, here you have to wear one from mid Sept thru mid May I think, basically the cold water months. In Summer you just need it on board
>>
File: FB_IMG_1453934146715.jpg (327KB, 1936x1937px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1453934146715.jpg
327KB, 1936x1937px
>>688333
Checked
>>
>>688047
I have a "fishing" kayak. It was an old kayak that my neighbor had that ended up having a hole worn in the back of the yak where the keel meets the stern. I fixed that with fiberglass/resin and then cut 2 holes on either backside of the yak and installed rod holders. Works fine for me.

Would a fishing yak work better? hell yeah. Do I have the money for a fishing kayak? nope.

This will work for the time being.
>>
idk where you guys live or are shopping but in fl decent fishing yaks will run you 300-450

the guy who asked said his friend gets a discount or w/e so you can knock some off that

not very expensive at all, if you can't afford a $400 vessel, yak guy, stay on the shore/pier
>>
File: Reelbitch.jpg (160KB, 1080x788px) Image search: [Google]
Reelbitch.jpg
160KB, 1080x788px
>>685651
Caught this nice 2pound mack a couple of weeks ago on Lyman lures!
>>
>>688328
Haven't had safe ice all winter :/
>>
>>688659
"safe" is a relative term for ice. ive seen my dad go through about 5 inches of ice. hes not fat either, about 5'10'' and -maybe- 165 pounds, probably less back then
>>
>>689134
probably shit white ice, or hit a thin spot
>>
File: lead-INFS-110024-TRACCR-05.jpg (71KB, 590x398px) Image search: [Google]
lead-INFS-110024-TRACCR-05.jpg
71KB, 590x398px
>>687216
>>
>>689145
probably but still. i think there was a natural spring where he went through and that thinned the ice, but the point is, 5 inches of ice is inherently unsafe and relatively unpredictable.
id rather walk on 5 inches of ice than 2 inches, but there is still danger any time you go on ice.
i had some chart that said basic thicknesses and strengths (with room for error)
2 inches was safe to walk on
4 inches for ice fishing
7 inches for snow mobiles and motorcycles (and if youve never put studded ice tires on a bike and buzzed around the lake youre missing out)
10 inches for small cars
15 inches for big cars like trucks or SUVs
>>
Anybody get their MTB/LTB yet? Still waiting on mine but I'm down in South Florida. Midwest anons probably have theirs if any ordered from MTB at least.
>>
>>689277
I seem to remember 6" was minimum for hockey/skating in groups.
>>
>>689281
nada but no mail today and LTB shipped a day late. Looks like they are out of CT so I expect it tomorrow or Wed.
Same on MTB, it left a regional distribution center and is on a truck to my general area.
>>
I'm gonna start a new thread goys
>>
>>689288
Ahh. I haven't even tracked mine. I haven't been fishing in like a week anyway. I layed around all weekend because I have been feeling like garbage.

The email from MTB sends me to some strange website to track it anyway. It isn't the regular post office site. I feel like it is behind.
>>
>>689281
Just got mine today (MTB) it's just eh to be honest
>>
>>690010
what was in it?
>>
>>687228
I had an ugly stik for at least 5 years.

I caught everything with it, Lake trout, rainbow trout, carp, Muskellunge, Northern Pike, countless walleye.

It cracked on the clear tip around the second year when I pulled in a 13 pound laker, but after that it lasted for three more years before it finally snapped.
Thread posts: 316
Thread images: 62

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.