[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is a good "I don't know where I'll be tomorrow"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

File: too-tents.jpg (210KB, 1600x600px) Image search: [Google]
too-tents.jpg
210KB, 1600x600px
What is a good "I don't know where I'll be tomorrow" tent?

Are these two any good /out/ ?
>>
I'd probably go with a one man tent like soulo instead of staika, saving space and weight.
>>
If you're gonna be moving around stealth camping, I would recommend an rei quarter dome.
>>
>>682533
Bed roll. You literally just unroll it and get in. Especially nice for stealthing because it's easy to setup and take down in the dark.
>>
Something freestanding. If you are willing to spend enough to get a hille and only need to accommodate one person, definitely go for the soulo.
Tell us more about what kind of stuff you aee going to do in your tent. Don't just drop the money on a hille if you don't have some plans to use it fairly extensively, unless you just have too much money.
>>
Just posted this in a dif thread, hope it helps.

"My advice: Consider a 4-man tipi and bring a portable woodstove. You can pack both of these things only adding 7lbs to your kit. Take a look at this setup below; video is part of a play list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbDZQi9iy44&index=11&list=PL66_bYgZpf7J8UvcsY42kgw2Woa2CUa4S

The stove in that video is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfW1CcLVESE

He has a newer video too with a different stove you can see too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6y_PpN7SytU&index=3&list=PL66_bYgZpf7Krx9kf_olV9mdUaV-X-bU_"
>>
>>682533
All tents are supposed to be "I don't know where I'll be tomorrow". If not, you're not giving yourself enough credit.
>>
>>682894
Tipis seem to cost an inordinate amount of money. Is there a real materials and labor reason for that or is it just that they're a niche thing?
>>
>>682968
No, they're a niche thing. Also as quickly mobile, discreet, light two-people shelters they're shit. They're not versatile enough, not as sturdy as a standard tent, awkward to pitch, and the circle shape is a misuse of space. Not to mention they're not lighter. Any igloo-type dome tent is better.
>>
File: facepalm.jpg (227KB, 800x591px) Image search: [Google]
facepalm.jpg
227KB, 800x591px
>>682894
>7lbs
>for a one person shelter
>tipi and stove as your everywhere option

Namefags, they never change
>>
Go for a bivy
>>
>>682533
I've had a tent similar to the Quasar and would not recommend, too much effort to set up if it's for one night too.
>>
>>682968
The tipi is just more durable IMO. Their shape makes them more resistant to wind/snow than a lot of tents ( wall tents specifically come to mind ) and are usually easier to transport. Even without the stove ( which lets you cook meals for the three/four of you if you are gentle with it ) some tipi companies make their tipi with the stove jack built into the center pole.

"If I'm going to buy something for camping I want it to be able to meet all my potential needs" is my mentality. This includes offering shelter to folks on the trail ( if you place your gear outside you SHOULD be able to fit three people ( including yourself ) inside ) if unexpected storms hit, being able to be used in a bug-out situation, being able to be used in all four seasons, etc. A tipi with a small stove fits those needs much better than a tent given tents often times are not built to accommodate heat/cooking sources in your shelter.
>>
>>683070
A Tipi is heavy, has no ground floor and no bug net. This is why it is restricted to some niece uses like nostalgia cannoeing.

The rest of the backpacking world uses just normal tents.
>>
>>683105
A tipi from Seek Outside weighs 4 lbs, 2 oz. Their medium sized titanium wood stove with 5.5 feet of pipe is about 2 lbs, 4 oz ( Weight Stove body 20 ounces, Damper/legs/Storage bag 6 ounces, Pipe 2 ounces per ft ) which is surprisingly light. Your total weight for your HEATED shelter is about 6.6 oz ( assuming my math is right ) leaving you able to still pack a tarp/sleeping sack to sleep on and I bet you would be a little over 10 lbs if you packed a bugnet. If you're going on a long term camping trip or bugging out it really isn't a bad option and in the event you really don't know where you will be tomorrow wouldn't you want to be somewhat prepared for the cold?
>>
>>683123
As said, you are very very alone with your choice of gear. And for good reasons.
>>
>>683105
Forgot to mention that you have the option of having a "screen door" sewn into your tipi. If you are really insistent on using a tent you can buy a tent/stove combo for under $800, fitting 2 people ( four without stove, see https://store.seekoutside.com/cimarron-med-stove-bundle/ ) and still being light weight.
>>
>>683132
Just out of interest, what is the longest hike you made with that tipi and how heavy was your pack weight?
>>
File: 20110826052.jpg (150KB, 1023x575px) Image search: [Google]
20110826052.jpg
150KB, 1023x575px
>>683105
Not everyone go out to chase miles.
>>
>>683133
I've yet to make the hike with one myself but I intend to soon ( buying with my tax refund from either Seek Outside or Kifaru ) and I've been told carrying one isn't as different from a tent as one would think. I do know from experience that they are very nice to be in; very roomy, very warn with the stove going in cold climates, etc.

Your pack weight isn't terrible though, as I said in an earlier post a four man tipi from Seek Outside w/ a medium sized wood stove is 6 lbs, 6 oz ( accidentally said 6.6 oz on original post ( >>683123 but meant 6 lbs, 6 oz ) so you really are not adding too much weight.
>>
>>683152
>cooler
>camp chair
>ass heavy tipi
>car camping at its best.
>>
>>683163
There is also an external frame on a tree and I see real hiking boots. I think it's a semi-permanent campsite.

Is it a varanger 4-6?
>>
File: rab-ridge-raider-bivi-olive.jpg (39KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
rab-ridge-raider-bivi-olive.jpg
39KB, 800x800px
>>682533
This bivvi is bombproof. 10,000mm making it five times as waterproof as it needs to be to claim that its waterproof. Weights 881g (31oz) and packs down to nothing.

If your wanting something with more space id recommend this:

http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/tents-and-spares/all-tents/laser-competition-1-tent/

Its 6,000mm on the floor and 5,000mm for the walls and is 100g heaver but has actual space to sit up in. its downside is that its very expensive.

In terms of "I don't know where I'll be tomorrow" being cool with using a Bivvi would be the best just for weight and being able to be hidden. Weight super important for tents/sleeping bags because they are the bulk of your weight.

>>682894
Well someone goes car camping..

I amazes me how much the car camping mentality affects people and all the extra gear they think they need to bring. Taking a 7lbs shelter for one person is beyond a joke. You need to think about what a shelter needs to be and then work from there:

>Portable
>Waterproof/well ventilated
>Keep out bugs

Beyond that everything else is "extra features" that just compromise one of the above.
>>
>>682894
I never said anything about car camping. The links I posted mention nothing about car camping. My mentality is that he would carry it all in a backpack. I don't drive; I refuse to simply because I can walk most places and take public transport to get anywhere else I need to go. I respect your opinions regarding whether or not you "compromise" taking a tipi over a tent but I just wanted to set you straight.

That said, very impressive little tent. I could see this being an awesome gift to some of my single friends.
>>
>>683159
That's a lot of weight
>>
File: tipis_r_dum.jpg (34KB, 418x298px) Image search: [Google]
tipis_r_dum.jpg
34KB, 418x298px
>>683159
A tipi has literally no advantage over a tent other than being readily heated if you carry a stove with you
At 8lbs
You still need a sleeping mat and sleeping bag
A much smaller and easier to carry entire sleeping system with either a tent, mat, and bag or hammock, top and under quilt, and tarp will weigh in far less than just the tipi
If op is looking for a I could end up anywhere carrying around a large and heavy system makes no sense at all
A I can end up anywhere could require lots of hiking, hitch hiking, maybe climbing, and swamp walking
Carrying the extra 5+ lbs makes no sense here and costs much much more

If you argued a tipi as a semi permanent base camp type item I could see that better but even then I would prefer a large canvas tent like pic related
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.