[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

GPS Collars

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: GPS_IIF.jpg (125KB, 1000x791px) Image search: [Google]
GPS_IIF.jpg
125KB, 1000x791px
/an/ sent me here, said you /out/ists might have your dogs equipped with a GPS Collar.

Anyone have experience using them? I'd like to get one for my sister's dog. The little shit loves to bolt the split second you get distracted.
>>
File: buy this instead.jpg (25KB, 425x282px) Image search: [Google]
buy this instead.jpg
25KB, 425x282px
>>681521
>>
>>681529
That's when she escapes, right before you have a chance to put it I her. She's very agile and fast.
>>
>>681521
Here in East TX, hunting feral pigs with dogs is a common practice and EVERYONE I know who hunts with dogs has their dogs equipped with GPS + shock collars. What exactly do you want to know about them?
>>
File: 190qxjgphytnfjpg.jpg (49KB, 800x445px) Image search: [Google]
190qxjgphytnfjpg.jpg
49KB, 800x445px
>>681670
Looking for something cost effective that I can track her in real-time.
I guess as long as the battery can last a solid day that should be ample.
The biggest thing is are a subscriptions worth it?
I guess it's basically a cellphone packaged into a collar.

And anything else you think would help. Tips, etc.
>>
>>681684
>The biggest thing is are a subscriptions worth it?
>I guess it's basically a cellphone packaged into a collar.

Oh.. you're talking about those collars that need a sim card or something and cell service to send info back to an app on your cellphone I guess. No hunter I know uses those. They're shit when compared to actual hunting dog GPS systems.

I was talking about these:
http://www.gundogsupply.com/tracking-collars.html

These units are $400 on the low end of the price spectrum. They'll have a handheld GPS unit and the collars transmit their location directly back to the handheld unit via a RF transmitter/receiver. They're waterproof, work without any sort of cell signal, and will stand up to years of abuse being worn by pitt bulls chasing and fighting 300lb pigs through dense woods, thick brush, across creeks, into ponds, etc.
>>
>>681687
Thanks anon, I didn't know about those. I'll check it out.
>>
>>681690
Yeah, I'm not sure if you want to spend that kind of money on a dog collar but that's what everyone uses when they run their dogs around here. You might be able to find a used one on craigslist for like half price if you're lucky.
>>
>>681521

They're kinda nice, everyone I know uses them with their hunting dogs. I'm tempted to strap them onto my neighbor kids, along with some shock collars.
>>
>>681655
Try a Weiss walkie.
>>
>>682854
Thanks anon, I'm checking it out now.
>>
>>681521
how would that even work? is your dog a miniature horse? can it really support a GPS transciever on its collar? do you change the batteries every few days? or do you plug your dog in at night?

a gps reciever doesn't take much power. but to put enough power out to actually send a signal to satelites to be tracked would take a nice sized battery pack and a good antenna.

the ones used in boats cost 1k a piece and take all their battery for a fairly short burst. how exactly would you 'track' your dog using gps? unless it was actually a cell phone tranciever that got gps coordinates from a gps reciever.
>>
>>683116
A ten second Google search would answer all of those questions.
Do you even know what a smart phone is?
>>
>>683185
Ignore the phone comment, I missed that you said something about it.

I am still baffled why you think gps tech is so cumbersome it needs a large animal to carry it. They make them small enough for cats you know.
>>
>>683201
to track from GPS alone could not be done unless you shove a battery up the cat's butt hole. the little personal locator beacons we got in afghanistan only sent out our location for an hour. and that was after we activated it. and the battery was pretty much the whole thing. and it was as large as a magazine.

unless there is some super secret technology that allows pets to power up chips that act as antennas that send signals to satelites 100 miles above, i just don't see it as being possible with gps alone.

why not just use cell phone tech that can actually do it. i don't know about any specifics and never even bothered to look it up. because it is outlandish. the parks people put giant collars on shit that can only be tracked by yagi antennas.

unless you have more money and tech than the largest parks departments in the world, you cannot put a GPS TRANSPONDER on your fucking dog. you can put a GPS reciever on it though, but it will be picked up on cell frequencies. so why not just use cell?
>>
>>683210
>don't know about any specifics and never even bothered to look it up.

Which is why you thought shoving a battery up a cat's asshole was required for power. There's a few different ways these collars work. Some use cell networks others use handsets that work with the collar.

I'm not going to spoon feed you anymore info faggot.
>>
>>683210

>what is short-range radio
>what is cellular network
>>
>>683210

Buddy, not everything needs to connect to a satellite network.
>>
>>681521
If the fucker cant find its way back it is a terrible dog to begin with.
>>
>>684889
damn anon you're a cunt
anything can happen when deep inna
>>
>>684889
I never said she couldn't find her way back.
The collar is for finding her ass right fucking now.
No one has time for their pet to mosey on back home.
This isn't the movie Homeward Bound.

Also, you're a huge faggot.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.