[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Forest Service trail markers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_3481.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3481.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Where I live the Forest Service uses light blue diamond trail markers. They are sort of what I would call a line of sight marker, meaning that if you stand next to one of these markers and you look around you should see the next marker. On a long straight away they might be 50 yards apart but in some places they can be as close as 10 or 15 feet. They are also night time reflective.

But sometimes you see a red marker or a dark blue marker which are definitely not used a lot, you may see one every mile or so although they don't seem to mark mileage. So I always wonder what these colors mean or do they just not mean anything and they ran out of light blue.
>>
File: IMG_3487.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3487.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
The first pic was the light blue often used. This is the red one
>>
And this is a dark blue one. I'm just wondering if these colors mean something else, the dark blue and red.
>>
File: IMG_3508.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3508.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>679170
dammit
>>
https://www.google.com/search?q=forest+service+markers&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
>>
>>679167
here where I live, different colours mean different hiking trails.
>>
Maybe they used red markers in past and have gradually been replaced with blue over time
>>
>>679197
These were all on the same trail
>>679237
This is basically what I'm thinking "Hey Fred, we're out of light blue triangles..." "Jesus Christ do I have to do everything around here!!! Just use the red ones!! Man I hate my job!!"
>>
File: 160-FILE1370_-L.jpg (86KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
160-FILE1370_-L.jpg
86KB, 800x600px
>>679197
Here where I live, different colors are different uses.

Orange are the ones I follow, which are motorized and mixed-use trails.
Blue ones are non-motorized only.
I'm not aware of any others, but it wouldn't surprise me if there were others.

Even the signs for parking lots are color-coded orange or blue based on their use.

All that is also mirrored on the FS MVUM's, although in the summer you're more likely to see graphical representations of what's allowed (Motorcycle, ATV, 4x4, Horse, Bicycle, Hiker) on the fiberglass markers (along with trail number and difficulty). Winter trail markers are usually higher up in the trees.
>>
>>679167
Is it marked on any maps as a multi use trail? For example a hiking/equestrian trail may have green markers every 50 yards to indicate hiking trail. Then every 1000 yards maybe a red marker to indicate it is still shared with horse riders.

Or, is this a long distance trail? The parcels of land containing a long distance trail are usually not managed by just one agency. You may pass through federal, state, county, or even local parkland on a single LDT without realizing it. Furthermore, each level of govt. above may include different agency management (nps, blm, usfws, usfs, state div. parks, state div. forestry, etc etc)
>>
>>679792
>>679807
Thanks!! I think this may be it. The uses for the trails I use are hiking/mountain biking/cross country skiing snow shoeing. And the one red diamond might be the marker that says you're going for local land to forest service land, even though the trail is called a forest service trail (which it is). The forest services land starts at the end of the local governments right of way which is around a 1/4 mile.
>>
>>679760
>all on the same trail
sometimes trails, like roads, overlap and can have 2 different names, route #'s, color designations at the same time.
>>
>>679196
>and should be scattered at every opportunity.
>>
I worked for the forest service for a bit, I once asked my boss what the different colors and markings look like.

She had no clue. I'm pretty sure they just make it up as they go along.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.