[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>am 18 >have roughly 40k in savings >want to travel

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

File: 4L_uUmPEGjr.jpg (38KB, 468x309px) Image search: [Google]
4L_uUmPEGjr.jpg
38KB, 468x309px
>am 18
>have roughly 40k in savings
>want to travel around and explore world (and by world, I mean the U.S. and Canada)

How would /out/ recommend I go about doing this? I hate to potentially sound like the typical teenager who's "tired of it all" and "wants to escape," but I've found that travel and seeing new places makes me very happy like nothing else. If I don't start doing something soon, the slacker in me will just sit around inside all day, get depressed, and waste my time.
>>
>>678765
>40k in savings
>typical teenager
>>
>>678765
I hate you.
>>
That depends. Will Daddy let you keep suckling his dick forever, or will the money dry up? Because you might want to use that money to get a degree and a career going instead.

But by all means, go on a road trip. It won't cost you 40 grand.
>>
>>678768
poor person pls go
I has about 30 when I was 18
>>
>19
>have 4-6k saved up from working
>bought and paid off truck already
>truck is now families

You're lucky op
I'm going to buy another vehicle and continue saving for land

Have fun with your trip though
>>
>>678765

>travel world
>means US and Canada
>say world

Faggot, please.
>>
>>678771
On a board about living and surviving in the outdoors? Are you autistic?
>>
>>678779
I don't understand what you mean. I can't browse this board because I had money when I was 18 and I am autistic?
>>
>>678783
I think what he's saying is that most normal people don't have tens of thousands of dollars when they're 18.

Even the rich kids I went to school with never had that kind of money, their parents had the good sense to know it wouldn't do them any good to just hand them a bunch of cash. There's not really a way for someone that age to get that kind of money without some form of help or being outright given it.
>>
>be OP

yeah I saw this coming
>>
>>678765
Are you going to college?

If yes, as fun as travelling is, I'd save the money for college and the loans that you'll inevitably take out (unless you somehow are loaded enough to pay it all). Even with financial aid, I still had to take out loans. Got 40k total to pay off, and that's pretty low compared to some people I know.

If no, take a road trip and see all the NPs.
>>
>>678794
You could always.. you know...work?
It's not hard to get a job at 15 (or under if it's under the table) and make $10/hr
With damn near no expenses that adds up as long as you don't dump your money into dumb shit
$10/hr 25 hours a week (Pretty realistic but not super easy) = 12k/year

Obviously you aren't saying it's impossible and not trying to argue with you but it is doable by working instead of handouts from parents
>>
>>678818
It's literally illegal to work below 16 in my country.
>>
>>678821
>illegal to hire someone under 16
>probably perfectly legal to fuck someone under 16
>>
That 40k is probably inheritance or something like that. It's not really important.
>>
>>678818
Except really you need to be 16 for most jobs, and minimum wage after taxes is closer to 7 dollars an hour.

I'd say it is WAY more likely he got that 40k from handouts from parents or grandparents or someone dying, personally, not that it matters.
>>
>>678797
>be OP
>yeah I saw this coming
so you knew all along you are a clueless idiot humble-bragging about money you don't know what to do with?
>>
>>678827
I'm not bragging about money, money is an important factor in traveling, I may as well be truthful so I can get the most accurate and applicable advice for what to do. I don't need to worry about receiving your personal approval on an anonymous imageboard.
>>
>>678825
>Except really you need to be 16 for most jobs, and minimum wage after taxes is closer to 7 dollars an hour.

>everybody lives in a america
>>
>>678765
Do you get along with yr parents? If so buy bulk food and have them mail it to post offices around the country while you walk bike or hitchhike between them going on adventures. Tell them you are gonna write a book or some shit.
>>
File: 1432208181128.jpg (121KB, 704x480px) Image search: [Google]
1432208181128.jpg
121KB, 704x480px
>>678818
I got a job at 15, didn't spend my money on useless shit, never had a car or a license because it seemed like a waste of money, yet I only had 14k coming out of highschool. did your parents pay for your lunches and literally everything you do or were you just a social recluse who dumpster dived for his lunches?
>>
>>678840
Only talking about the OP who does live in America, dingus
>>
>>678765
Go for it mang. Do it before you get too old and have kids and everything. I would rather tour and explore North America at 18 instead of getting tied down and not having a chance to do anything like that until you are 70 and retired.

Just like other people mentioned, depending on your financial situation, you might want so save that $40k for something better. Whether it is school or a down payment on a house. But if you are 18 and have $40k just laying around to spend, I'm sure your family has you covered financially for a few years. Go fuck around for a few months while you have the chance.
>>
>How would /out/ recommend I go about doing this?

Look up places you want to visit. Figure out how much time you want to stay in those places. Look at Google maps to determine the best way to drive between those places.

If you want companionship, ask any friends if they want to/can afford to go with you. Plan the accommodations you stay at accordingly.

Airbnb and hotels.com can help you plan out the costs of that. Or you can plan around camping instead.

It ain't rocket science.
>>
>>678765
>>>/trv/

fuck off
>>
>>678765
... Uh, with 40k I think you should go to europe or something and hike the shit out of everything there.

But if Canada, I know that the Gaspe Pinensula is wonderful. Northern new brunswick if you like salmon fishing. Nova scotia is great if you like visiting seaside town and just shooting enjoying the summer.
>>
Have you considered a through hike OP?

The way I see it, it's something that fits more or less within what you want to do, and now would be the best time to do it. When you're older, you can still make time to go travelling places. However, it would be a lot more difficult (not impossible) to spend 6 months doing a trail. You would likely need to quit your job, and you can't guarantee that your bf/gf/spouse/ladyboy would be happy with you doing it (whereas they would probably love if you said "let's go travelling!")
>>
>all these jealous poorfags

Zozzle
>>
>>678821
>>678825
You do know there is other countries than yours, right? I live i Denmark, here you can get a job when 12-13. Some of the jobs is illegal, but who gives a shit.
>>
>>679850
Not so much jealous as aware that the rich have an entirely different relationship with money, and still trying to give advice.
>>
>40k
I'm around the same age and I'm planning to travel with 1-2k
>>
If you have $40,000, the last thing you want to do is blow it on traveling. Invest it into an IRA or put it into your career.

I don't know where you live, but just set a little money aside and take an airplane to the U.S.A., rent a car, and sleep in the back of the car (or buy a tent and sleep in state/national parks).

You can probably cover a lot of ground for less than $1,400 if you do it right.
>>
>>679132
>>679218
Going to stay in North America for now.

I like short hikes in beautiful places, but long term hiking isn't for me. I'd rather travel by car or motorcycle.

>>680623
I'm trying to be pretty conservative with it. I already have an IRA.

I'm currently thinking about:
>rooftop tent for my car (~$3000, yeah I know, they're expensive but really nice and well made)
>selling my current motorcycle and buying a newer one (~$5000)

and then just driving around, pulling my motorcycle in a trailer, camping around, etc. mite b cool
>>
>>678765
Stating your savings isn't just not classy, it's a put down. You're so oblivious, I hope you loose it all and learn your manners the hard way.
>>
>>680660
>it personally hurts my feelings, therefore OP was intending to put me down, what a jerk
>>
File: Bitcoinstothemoon.gif (499KB, 480x228px) Image search: [Google]
Bitcoinstothemoon.gif
499KB, 480x228px
>>678769
>>678770
>>678916
>>680623
>>680660

Poorfags BTFO.

>tfw my mom gave me 50k euros when i turned 18
>>
>>678771
>comes from rich senpai and enjoys all the benefits coming from privilege
>ridicules those with less
yup that was all totally money you 'earned' right? you're a bretty terrible person huh?
>>
>>680872
It's called a job poor person
>>
>>680660
A put down? Are you fucking kidding? I'm a poorfag making 9.70 an hour in Connecticut of all places and I don't see how him stating how much money he has is a put down. If it bothers you that much either go make some damn money or seek professional help.
>>
>>680649
I did a six month trip like you are planning. Your major expense will be lodging. Food is cheap, less than $10 a day or even $5 if you are a jew, gas is .10 or less per mile.

Campgrounds are getting expensive, $5 or $10 is rare , $25 typical. $35 in California. Lots of nice free camping in PNW in beautiful spots. Hotels are worse $40 minimum but many places are $100. Checkout Yellowstone for cheap lodgings in the lodge. Oregon has nice yurts and covered wagons and teepees for $40 in state parks.

I ended up driving 5000 miles so gas wasn't an issue
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.