[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm going hiking in an area where open fires aren't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 11

I'm going hiking in an area where open fires aren't permitted but I still want to enjoy that sort of cozy heat. Has anyone ever used one of these and do they do anything at all? I'm not worried about gas consumption because there's plenty of opportunity to pick up fresh canisters on an almost daily basis but I do need something that takes up minimal space.
>>
>>677721

Just find somewhere nice and secluded and spark that bad boy up. As long as your responsible and take the correct precautions, it'll be fine.
>>
File: solo stove.jpg (23KB, 500x438px) Image search: [Google]
solo stove.jpg
23KB, 500x438px
not totally relevant to this thread but can someone tell me if this is a meme or worth buying?

you can put an alcohol stove inside of it as well.
I just want a cheap, light, fuel efficient option for cooking small meals and this seems like the best option.
>>
File: Dakota-Fire-Hole-Infographic.jpg (24KB, 394x217px) Image search: [Google]
Dakota-Fire-Hole-Infographic.jpg
24KB, 394x217px
>>677721
>buying expensive bushmeme shit

just make a dakota fire hole.
>>
File: gi style.jpg (29KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
gi style.jpg
29KB, 500x375px
>>679855
alternatively, this
>>
>>679859
as a resident of CA i dont mind breaking the law, but id prefer not to do it so flagrantly.

also building one of those every time you want a cup of coffee is kinda harsh.
>>
OP here, I bought one in the end. It's actually pretty good. It doesn't so much radiate heat to the side but, on a low flame, you get a nice diffuse heat that you can warm your hands over instead of the scorching point you get from a naked flame. It also does radiate a bit of heat downwards which might be good for drying socks.
>>
>>679855

yeah bro
buy that shit

i have two of them and i keep one in my volkswagon just in case i get called to shoot outdoor photography with my macbook and DSLXXXR Italian leather cam
>>
>>679859
Jesus, the quality of this sub had really gone to shit. Now troll physics is getting posted in response to serious questions?
hurr durr, just hide the fire with a floating rock, you just need to blow a bunch of air down there to keep it floating.
kindly gfys.
>>
>>679859
because some people don't stay in the same place all the time they are /out/, like backpackers

because some people go above an elevation where fires are not permitted or possible, like mountaineers
>>
>>679859
I second this, up in sequoia we realized we wouldn't have enough fuel for the whole trip and we all needed drinking water.
They were ready to just light up a fire but I suggested the dakota fire hole because it's stealthy; we filled this big pasta pot with water and boiled the shit out of it no problem with only twigs, and just filled in dirt when we were done.
10/10 would do again
>>
>>679859
also doing it near a tree may be more stealthy, but in my experience it's not hard to get it burning efficiently with very little smoke, and I've heard it can be hazardous to make one of these near dry roots
>>
>>680114
>not driving a Subaru

Low quality
>>
>>680114
epic bantz brother
>>
>>680207

>sub

Where the fuck do you think you are?
>>
File: deez-nuts1-300x294.jpg (17KB, 300x294px) Image search: [Google]
deez-nuts1-300x294.jpg
17KB, 300x294px
>>680207

>>680267
>>
>>680249
This desu. You /outback/, m8?
>>
>>680207
>Jesus, the quality of this sub had really gone to shit.
This isn't a submarine you nigger
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>680308
Nah, I /escape/. Used to /explorer/ but I'm really thinking about a Grand Cherokee in the future. Seems to have the best ability off road when you need it compared to anything else that is as comfortable on the road.
>>
>>680245
>having an illegal fire
The fire rules are there for a reason, or are you so special that nothing applies to you
>>
>>680361
I was strongly against it but we really didn't have enough fuel, and we wouldn't have had enough water to drink since it was our only means of purification. I've got a filter now, though and I'll bring more fuel so it won't happen again. anyway a dakota fire hole is safer, we had 15ft of nothing but dirt around the fire and it was in a 6in diameter hole. some other guy was fishing and had a big fire pit roaring mid day for no reason, now fuck that guy
>>
>>680372
There are many reasons for fire rules, not just forest fires
At high elevations, there is not enough carbon fixation in the ecosystem to support campfires
>boiling water for drinking
I've made that mistake too, and I've had one trip where the filter broke
>>
>>680378
oh yeah it wasn't too high, I wouldn't do it above 9,000ft or so but it was a lower area with lots of forest material
yeah we were too broke to have a better method, it takes so much extra time and fuel just to boil water for drinking
>>
File: nasty.jpg (29KB, 343x405px) Image search: [Google]
nasty.jpg
29KB, 343x405px
>>680385
Below 9, you're usually fine
>it takes so much extra time and fuel just to boil water for drinking
Not to mention it tastes bad
>mfw drinking hot water on a hot day
>>
File: 1450294787530.jpg (6KB, 227x225px) Image search: [Google]
1450294787530.jpg
6KB, 227x225px
>>680207
8/10

Decent effort
>>
File: 2013-10-10_15-04-00_135.jpg (1MB, 1840x3264px) Image search: [Google]
2013-10-10_15-04-00_135.jpg
1MB, 1840x3264px
>>680372
Dude you can make a wood gas stove out of 3 tin cans that you could dig out of the trash if you were completely broke. I made this in like 20 min with a leatherman and a bar key. Yes it was ugly and it had sharp edges and it won't last forever, but it was free and light and it was a good backup. It all nested together too so I could pack my fire kit in it to save space.
>>
File: SS-Main-1-800x800.jpg (35KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
SS-Main-1-800x800.jpg
35KB, 800x800px
>>677721
I use a solid fuel stove to warm by.
>>
>>680328
Don't get a grand Cherokee. It's literally only a jeep in name.

I had one for a while and it was made for luxury more than anything. It was a lease though, so i couldn't put beefy tires on it, or lift the suspension.
>>
>>680659
thats sick. I have the same cup and a leatherman and I dont know what a bar key is

How do?
>>
>>677721

>>679855
Not bad, but I honestly think the Silverfire Scout and TOAKS stoves are much better priced yet similar in quality.

The TOAKS stove ( http://toaksoutdoor.com/toakstitaniumwoodstove.aspx ) is cheapest at 65 American dollars, possibly the lightest lightest ( I believe it is ) the easier of the three to assemble, disassemble and transport. You can fit it easily into one of their pan/pot combos while tossing in some utensils and maybe one or two of their cups or plates. It is worth mentioning that this stove isn't really a gasifer like the others in spite of being touted as such. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iYeqHyjcD8

Silverfire Scout stoves are a little more than the TOAKS stoves at about 75 American dollars but you can also buy said stove bundled with a combo ferro-magnesium rod, foldable fork, foldable spoon, and the MSR pot ( http://www.silverfire.us/new-304-ss-ultimate-scout-kit ) all of it nests in for about $122. If you don't already own pans/pots/utensils for your pack this option would be more affordable than the TOAKS stove + pans/pots/utensils. They might not look the best as they age and certainly don't look as good as the Solo Stove but they stay strong and their gasification is better IMO. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oU77ShL078

With the Silverfire Scout bundle being the best bundle and the TOAKS stove being the cheapest stove you'll find that the price for the Solo Stoves are pretty terrifying. They work well and they look nicer than the others but their smallest model ( Solo Stove Lite ) is a staggering 99 American dollars and includes no extras. The website says it "works well with" either the 900 ML pot or the three-pot set but you'll pay about 1/3rd of the stove's cost if you feel you NEED them which would have already passed the price of the Silverfire Scout's bundle. TOAKS stove + their 1600ML Pot w/ Pan lid are about 115 American Dollars and by the time you add two titanium spork utensils you'll be at 133.
>>
>>683841
Part two...

>>677721
I didn't forget about you; just let me finish up with the other guy. I'll get back to you in part 3 but the stoves I mentioned in my last post would solve your problem.

>>679855
Now I've seen a fair number of reviews on all of these stoves and I can tell you which I would pick and why.

TOAKS would be my pick, with the Silverfire Scout being a close second. TOAKS products have a solid reputation, are durable, easiest to clean, nest well, and look nice.

If I were to go with the Scout it would be for two reasons: The price is right and it puts out much less smoke ( great if you don't want to be found; if you need smoke just use wet wood ) compared to the other two. The downsides are that the bottom of the stove gets hot enough to scorch whatever is beneath it and I'm personally not a fan of the flame patterns.

The Solo Stoves are something I'd get for somebody else as a gift. That friend who has an interest in the outdoors but wants to have some comfort or luxury would be the ideal recipient. I wouldn't buy this for myself simply because even their smallest sized stove is too expensive/luxurious to justify the price when I know a cheaper model would hold up just as well ( if not better ) while being a better buy with more accessories available.

Ben of Living Survival has reviewed all three; take a listen to what he has to say if you want.

Scout - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6JDvkSUSPw

Solo - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0A7DH_9MCc

Toaks - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04iUyFo1duw
>>
>>683851

>>677721
And now I'm back to you specifically. I know you're not worried about gas consumption but I personally think it is best to be prepared in case you forget. The EmberLit Fire Ant was constructed for biomass, trangia and gelled fuels and might be worth taking a look at. It has a lifetime warranty and EmberLit stoves have the reputation of being some of the absolute best backpacking stoves because of their ease of use/portability combined with their amazingly low price point.

I think the strongest competitor to EmberLit would be Firebox Stoves with their Firebox G2 model. Bushcraft Essentials makes some wonderful stoves in multiple sizes that are worth looking at too. A lot of them have better built-in ash pans than the gasifiers I mentioned earlier.

Ben has also reviewed these three stoves I mentioned.

Bushbox Micro, Standard and Ultralight - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSKgZB5irOE

Bushbox XL - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rxdOvP_c2U

Firebox G2- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXqY-oOqPLQ

EmberLit Original ( Not the Fire Ant ) in Stainless Steel - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZOdwJPiqnQ

EmberLit Original in Titanium - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq8xnTXlOtM
>>
>>679859
>dakota firehole in woods
are you literally retarded that is how you burn down forests!
>>
File: church-key.jpg (215KB, 1385x726px) Image search: [Google]
church-key.jpg
215KB, 1385x726px
>>683465
It's a type of bottle opener for stuff like grenadine and other mixes you would use in a bar. Sorry it's old vernacular for the sharp end of a good bottle opener. It's what i used to punch the triangular holes. it's also called a church key.
>>
>>683851
>>683841
thanks for all the input!
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.