[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who here /hikealone/? I get into this topic a lot with people,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 154
Thread images: 16

File: image.jpg (265KB, 1960x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
265KB, 1960x600px
Who here /hikealone/?
I get into this topic a lot with people, and I often get off-looks and disapproving statements on the danger and such. But there is something peaceful about taking to the trails for miles and days by yourself. What's your Favorite experience you've had hiking alone?
>>
Where is pic from?
>>
>>677320
I almost exclusively hike/backpack alone. Nature doesn't feel quite as sublime if I' not completely alone in it.
>>
Sometimes I hike alone, sometimes I hike with friends. Depends on my mood and the hike.

If I hike alone I make it a point to tell someone where I'm going and when I expect to be back.
>>
>>677320
That's a little bit weird, hiking alone could be dangerous
>>
>>677320
I just went on one.

I tell my wife where I'm going in case something happens.

I don't give a shit if it's more dangerous. I'd rather be fucking alone.

I swear some people think they'll cease to exist if they're not constantly being observed and validated by another person.
>>
>>677320
I didn't know there was any stigma about hiking alone. I thought it was the default actually.
>>
>>677428
this
>>
I've never really observed any stigma about hiking alone, but then I don't really express any dislike of hiking with others either so maybe that's why.
>>
>>677320
Favorite? All of them. There's nothing worse than having to walk a different speed than what you find comfortable, just to stop before you need to or not often enough, because you have to accommodate someone else. Except maybe listening to them whine while you're accommodating them.
>>
Whenever I think of hiking, alone is the default in my head, like >>677428 said.
I feel like the purpose of hiking is to lose your sense of self more or less. To stop thinking about the things that make you, "you" but rather lose that to the universe that makes you "what".
I find hiking with friends fun still, but it doesn't serve the purpose of disconnecting from the ego like solo hikes do. It can, however, be good for connecting two egos together.
>>
Hiking with a dog is the best. Companionship but you can still just think by yourself as well.
>>
>>677335

jesus
>>
My god I can't believe that there are so many scared to hike alone. I honestly think it is the default.

I learned this from my dad who almost always goes /out/ solo. Sure I got /out/ with him alot but honestly he's solo 80% of the time.

He had good practices as well like always leave a photocopy of the map and route your taking and when your expecting to leave.
Always take a phone but leave it powered off until you need it.
Always carry a survival bag.

Seriously why even go /out/ if your not man enough to do it yourself?
>>
ive trying to get into hiking with my gf, but she always makes excuses to go shopping instead. this weekend i said fuck it and went alone, not she is mad, go figure
>>
>>677902
Sounds like you need a better girlfriend.

And OP I have NEVER had someone comment on me walking alone, its pretty much the default.
>>
>>677320
Always.
So many people in the UK seem to be, not exactly afraid of being outdoors but unwilling to do anything outside of a group.
>>
File: kelol.gif (2MB, 360x270px) Image search: [Google]
kelol.gif
2MB, 360x270px
>>677427
>I swear some people think they'll cease to exist if they're not constantly being observed and validated by another person.
>>
>>677320
love being by my onesies. Give me my ipod and my gear and I'm good to go, wherever that may be. Today went exploring for kayak launches. Found exactly what I was looking for.
>>
"Are you lonely sometimes?"
"Only when around people."
>>
I always hike alone. Like other anons have said, I let someone know my planned route and approximate my return time. I've never had any problem with anyone while /out/ there either. It's not dangerous. People are goddamned sissies these days. They should just stay home and watch their netflix and fuck off on facebook or whatever dumb ass attention whoring shit they do.
>>
>>677320

I don't mind hiking with people, but I'd rather move at my own pace, and my work/vacation hours rarely work well with anyone else.

I just make sure a few people know where I'm going, what my schedule is supposed to be. I also carry a cell phone and an EPIRB in the off chance that I manage to do something incredibly stupid.
>>
>>677930
>Sounds like you need a better girlfriend.

You know, it's fine to be a different person and have different hobbies than your WAG.

My wife doesn't like hiking or hunting.

>>677902
The fact that your girlfriend considers shopping to be a hobby is defo a problem though, guy.
>>
I hike alone most of the time. I'm relaxed and get all sorts of thinkin' done
>>
>>678301
My point is that she won't join him in his hobby but she also gets mad when he does it on his own.

People are supposed to spend time doing their own thing, if she gets pissed when he does then she is going to cause major issues down the line.
>>
File: P1020903.jpg (3MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
P1020903.jpg
3MB, 4608x3456px
>>677320

I do get weird faces when anyone finds out i spend 3 weeks walking alone for 700km. "Why would anyone want to do that? "
I have done trips with other people but most of the time they're less experienced and i actualy feel less safe. I don't know their exact physical ability. Will they be able to cross this pass in a day or will we get stuck in the dark etc. Some might bring a summer sleepingbag even if i tell them nighttime temps are expected to be well below freezing, they don't know how to keep themselfs warm and dry, I have to think about having enough water for everyone,...
If you always go with the same buddy that you know well it would be different ofcourse. And if you're the guy who can't keep himself warm, dry and hydrated it wouldn't be safer either.

No, i actually feel safer and more in control when i'm alone.
>>
>>677320
My husband and I normally camp/hike/backpack together. It's nice because we know each other's limits, trust each other a lot, and get to share adventures. Even then, I still like to go hiking alone sometimes. I love him but he can sometimes be the type of person who just wants to summit without enjoying the climb, so sometimes it's nice to have some relaxing alone time innawoods. Can't really tell other people about it without them telling me about how I'll get raped, murdered, or eaten by a bear if hike alone.

I couldn't imagine backpacking alone though. Not only would I get lonely, we normally zip our sleeping bags together for maximum comfy times. I'd probably freeze if I tried to camp alone.
>>
>>677320
I'm really glad so many people on here mention the importance of letting someone know your route and when you plan to be back. Its important to have at least one person who knows in case something goes wrong and they have to rescue you.

I really like hiking and camping alone. Totally different experience from hiking with friends. I have found it more fun to hike alone in the spring/summer/fall months, and more fun to hike with friends in winter.

People will never stop stressing/criticizing you about going out alone. It's annoying, but I don't take trip recommendations from them just like I wouldn't take gear recs from them.
>>
>>678472
I've literally never had anybody criticize me for going /out/ alone, although one of my friends suggested that I purchase a PLB.
>>
>>678493

Used to volunteer SAR. Get a PLB, it makes things so much easier for everyone else to deal with.
>>
>>678518

>$500

Yeah, I'd rather just freeze to death.
>>
>>678406

thats a nice shelter
talk about safety

you couldnt haul the extra 1.5lbs for a real tent with a tub floor?
>>
>>677320
A few years ago I realized that if I didn't hike alone I'd never get to hike. I've grown to enjoy the solitude.
>>
>>677427
>I tell my wife where I'm going in case something happens.
that's nice, the bull has time to leave before you come back.
>>
Honestly I prefer to hike alone, but being a female, many people I have told disapprove. I think that when you are looking from the outside, it is hard to trust in my strength and wit for defence should anything happen.
I don't care, I go anyways, and plan to solo camp for the first time in the next few months.
I like to be alone when I'm /out/ as I feel I can connect to nature more on a personal and spiritual level. It is silent in the woods, which is a nice change from the concrete jungle. I say my thoughts out loud when I am out alone. Helps untangle all the shit in my mind.
>>
>>677624
I love that. It is true. Seeing nature makes you think of the big picture, and how ridiculous the system of society has become. I feel whole when I'm /out/, and feel like I belong
>>
>>678583

>where
>no mention of when

See if you'd learn to read, your joke would not have fallen as flat as your inbred face.
>>
>>678692
Jesus fuck, you even sound like a grill. Godspeed finding yourself.
>>
>>677902
let the bull take care of her, that is his job.
>>
>>679878

The same sentiment applies to guys who aren't troglodytes too.

Now go baton something with your unnecessarily large meme knife.
>>
There are mountain lions and wolves where I live and I know that homeless people live out in some closer to town.

I want to be out but it's kind of dangerous it seems. Though the chance to forage in old growth oak forest is tempting.
>>
>>680321
Wolves are not a danger to humans.

Cougars are a danger, but they're such good ambush predators that they'll be biting your neck and snapping your spinal cord before you even noticed they were there. So there's not much you can do except hope you don't get attacked, which honestly is super damned rare. You're way more likely to get struck by lightning.
>>
>>678692
>woods
>silent

maybe after a nuclear winter, but there would still be wind, right?

git yer ears checked
>>
>>680335
No there have been a dozen sightings in the past 5 years, a dog got attacked ten years ago and a boy got mauled next county over but survived.

I was thinking about taking dogs but they are farm dogs and don't know how to act with leashes.

Oh and I meant coyotes, we don't have wolves here. Maybe hybrids.
>>
>>680350
Not sure if I got baited but in case your reading comprehension is really that bad:
The sounds of nature are more like comforting background noise to most humans, which could be considered "silent" compared to cities and buildings where there's artificial sources of noise everywhere you go.
>>
I always hike alone, I prefer it. Although nobody will come with me when asked, lazy gits. But I'm a 24 yo woman so I always get stick about it being dangerous but desu whenever I go hiking I never run into others so it's grand
>>
File: IMG_1984.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1984.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
Took a cross country trip hitting up Grand Canyon, Canyonlands, Arches, and Yellowstone by myself a couple years ago.

Best trip I've ever had. No one to worry about, no one to care about what music is on in the car, could pull over to piss whenever, went at my own pace while hiking/exploring.

Need to do it again sometime soon. I've since solo climbed as well which is pretty addicting
>>
>>680350
Had a couple weird experiences in Western Maine last Oct. noticing that there was absolutely NO noise at all. No birds, wind, anything. Total silence. Seemed freaky.
>>
>>678692
I'm planning to solo camp also. Since, every time I ask my friends and they agree to go, they just forget about it. Need to get out there and have some room to breathe, away from everything.
>>
I never tell anyone where I'm going. Mainly because I don't have anyone to tell.
>>
>>685301
The moose were in rut and everything was scared.
>>
>>680335
Do I need to post the list of wolf attacks in North America?
>>
What's wrong with a lot of you people? Constantly going into the woods alone is a little strange and very dangerous. You never know what you could run into out there and people go missing ever year even from major parks. Bring a friend or your gf and not only will it be more fun but you'll be a lot safer.
>>
File: 38780548_p11.png (119KB, 500x554px) Image search: [Google]
38780548_p11.png
119KB, 500x554px
I've always loved being outdoors ever since I was a kid playing in the woods and I just never stopped. I hike and camp alone though because I'm a tranny, I don't want to bother people with my existence. Nature doesn't care how much much of a freak I am so being /out/ is pretty much what I live for

most memorable moments:

>hiking during a visit to california
>walk into a cougar
>shitting self while backing away slowly
>cougar inches closer
>suddenly have a burst of courage and raise my arms screaming at the top of my lungs
>cougar booked it

>hiking in Georgia
>run into a middle aged couple on the same trail, they invite me to walk with them
>make small talk and enjoy each other's company, enjoyed it immensely because I'm always alone when I go /out/
>about to go our separate ways, wife gives me a phone number
>she says they've always wanted to have a threesome with 'someone like me'

probably favorite
>on a high hill with binoculars
>saw a black bear just watched it goofing off for like an hour
>>
I have a really good buddy I love to hike with, we know how to just shut up and enjoy the experience.

I've done a lot of solo hiking, mostly fairly local day hikes, I'm not quite experienced enough to go alone for long stretches yet.

Said buddy and I are planning a big backpacking trip in summer of 2017. As I said, we work together seamlessly and should be pretty much "alone".

Definitely love hiking alone though.
>>
File: DSC_0150.jpg (3MB, 4928x3264px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0150.jpg
3MB, 4928x3264px
It's better alone. Maybe I haven't met the right person(s), or maybe I'm just awful at people. Either way, feeling totally disconnected from everything is one of my favorite parts of going /out/.

The nearest human (or water) is 30+ miles from my tent here. One of the best nights of my life.
>>
>>686737
That looks pretty comfy.
>>
>>677320
I'm in the same boat. Typically the people that frown upon going alone aren't /out/ists anyway so who cares. My main reasons for backpacking is to be alone.
>>
Will be heading back next month for about my 25th trip solo to southern Utah.
>>
>>677320
I do most of my hiking alone.

only rule I follow is tell someone where I'm going and then make sure that's where I go.

I don't have a favorite experience really. Not that I'd share anyways. That was the point of going alone. Not to judge my experiences or share them.
>>
>>683071
Did this as well, mine was a little more extensive. Went about 30,000 miles and hit all 48 states in the lower USA. 20 or 25 national parks, etc etc. I agree though, it's the best feeling in the world. Complete freedom. Spotify saved my ass in the car. If I ended up goin' out and drinking at a local bar the night before, I could always just stay another day in whatever town I was in or just camp another night. Being able to do your own thing at your own pace is fantastic.

Never done solo climbing, I honestly don't know the first thing about climbing.
>>
I go either alone or with the few friends that I know are actually into /out/.

Going out with people that are not gonna pull their own weight or being retards in general is just torturing yourself and maybe them.
>>
>>687219
This is my dream. What car did you take? Did you live out of your car? Tell us your adventures anon
>>
File: DSC_0751 (1).jpg (1MB, 2800x1866px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0751 (1).jpg
1MB, 2800x1866px
>>687246
I had saved up some money and ended up staying primarily in cheap motels and hotels I could get deals on. I camped maybe 20-25% of the time? Some places don't have national forests readily available and National Park campsites and private campgrounds/RV parks can be just as expensive as a cheap motel room. I had money, so I'd rather pay $10 more for a shower, free breakfast, internet, bed, and heating/AC. Was a great experience. I love driving so it worked out perfectly for me. Lots to tell, but the USA is stunningly beautiful. I felt I kind of owed it to myself and to my country to drive it and really see how vast and different the varying states and regions are. Yellowstone, Glacier National, and Capitol Reef NPs were probably my favorites.

I'd usually wake up around 6 or 7 each morning if I wasn't hungover. I'd get into the National Park before it got crowded because fuck those places when they start to pack in. Some parks you don't have to worry about, but Arches, certain parts of Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, parts of Redwood parks, etc can get PACKED. I'd be out of the park or wherever by 3 or 4 pm and start driving towards my next destination. When I'd get tired or found a town that looked decent, I'd pull over and look on TripAdvisor and just book a cheap motel. If I couldn't find one for some reason or they were all booked or really expensive, I'd just cruise to the nearest place to camp and pitch a tent. I almost never had problems finding a cheap place to stay though. Also, I love trying local food and beers at bars so I tried to stay in as many small towns as possible.

All in all, it was a perfect (albeit slightly more $$ than I meant it to be) trip. Bout to head out again, except this time when I find a place I really like, I'm just going to stay there and work.

As for the vehicle, pic related. 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, 345 HP, 5.7 L Hemi. Posted in another thread too. Thing kicked ass and took names except for a few hiccups.
>>
>>678065
damn...
>>
>>686689
>bring a friend or your gf
Where do you think we are?
>>
>>686717
That's awesome
>>
>>677624
Took the words from my mouth, anon. Even when I hike with friends, I try to get some alone time when we take a break and go explore for a bit. Even if we're on a mountain peak, I'll just go to the opposite side of the peak and enjoy some variety of spiritual experience.
>>
>>678065
mostly tru
>>
>>683071
I'll be hitting several of those locations soon on a lone cross-country backpacking/hitchiking trip that I've been planning since I was in the sixth grade. Sounds fantastic.

Did you take that pic of Moab and the LaSalle mountains?

>>686669
You can tell us, anon
>>
>>683071
Fuck that looks amazing. Places like this dont exist in Europe. I'm only 18 so i dont have much experience on big journeys but looks like a fucking blast. Life is truly a blessing.
>>
>>687781
Come to Arizona and take a drive through the desert here. It's like you're on another planet all by yourself.

Never felt happier then driving through here in my old honda. No sense in worrying about anything, life good.
>>
File: 100_3306.jpg (1MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
100_3306.jpg
1MB, 2560x1920px
I live in Chicago, so every once in a while, I'll take a train out to Indiana and go hiking through the Dunes if the weather's permitting. The lakefront is absolutely gorgeous and exotic compared to the city, and I enjoy having a few hours of alone time.

Except one time, when I was walking down one of the back trails through a swamp area. The whole time I'm walking through the forest, there's a never-ending chatter of birdsong and bugs and frogs, until it suddenly goes completely silent, not a single noise to be heard aside from the wind.

That's when I start to hear this weird noise. It starts off pretty quiet, this bizarre "glug... glug" noise. At first I think it's just a snapping turtle telling me to fuck off. Then it starts getting louder.
"Glug... glug!" Hehe, silly turtle.
Then I realize it's not getting louder, it's getting closer. And angrier.
"Glug..! Glug...! Glug! Glug! Gluggluggluggmmph! ggmph! GGHMPH!"
I hadn't seen another human being on the trails for a full hour at this point, so my nerves get the better of me and I start sprinting down the trail as fast as I can.
Eventually, the dirt trail gives way to a wooden boardwalk winding its way through the swamp. Every step I take on that boardwalk echoes as loudly as the "ggmph" noise behind me does. I'm in full blown panic mode as I sprint down the boardwalk, and I swear I could hear something else keeping pace with me behind me.
I stop moving and turn around, and there's absolutely nothing there. Then the noises stop.

I look around. Nothing in the trees, nothing on the path, nothing after nothing crawls out of the water. I'm completely alone.

To this day, I have no idea what the hell had happened. Psychotic pranksters? Ghost? Demon? Early onset of dementia? I couldn't say.

This isn't even the weirdest thing to ever happen to me on these trails, but it gives me the creeps thinking about it.
>>
File: 100_3309.jpg (1MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
100_3309.jpg
1MB, 2560x1920px
>>687902
Speaking of psychotic pranksters, i had another creepy run-in on the trails. As anyone who has ever hiked through the Dunes can tell you, there's a lot of hills overlooking the walking trails. And as I'm walking down the path, I hear this really shrill screech echo around me. Manly man that I am, I jumped a good three feet out of my skin and start looking around. I don't see anyone, but I hear a group of people start laughing like hyenas.
I raise a middle finger into the air in case they're watching me and keep moving.
A short while later, I'm hearing a lot of rustling in the brush to my right. I glance over just in time to see someone darting out of sight behind a hill. Creepy, but I keep moving.

About ten minutes later, I'm still walking down the trail when I hear that high-pitched screech again. Then a rock pelts me in the rib. Then another one lands a few feet in front of me. And another brushes the tip of my nose when I turn to see what's going on.

At the top of the hill is a group of skinny white kids and staring down at me. One of them is holding a massive fucking tree branch like he's Guts from Berserk. He points that massive tree branch at me, and then a few of his friends pick up sticks of their own and start running after me while the rest of the gang starts laughing.

I scream for help and start running back the way I came, and the kids at the top of the hill are following along as the ones behind me start hurling insults at me.

I'm not the fastest guy I know, but in that moment, I was Usain fucking Bolt at the Olympic Games or something. I sprint a solid mile on nothing but sheer adrenaline and manage to lose sight of the teenagers chasing me.

I jog the rest of the way back to the park's nature center and tell the bored-looking clerk about the fucking psychopaths in the trails. The worker calls for some rangers to take a look, but they never caught the damn kids.

I hope they all got poison ivy on their dicks.
>>
>>687909
have you been fursuiting in the forest again adam?
>>
>>686669
>I never tell anyone where I'm going. Mainly because I don't have anyone to tell.

As long as it doesn't bother you, it's ok.
Never bothered me when I was younger, but as I'm getting older now, it is beginning to bother me a bit.
>>
>>686717
>>she says they've always wanted to have a threesome with 'someone like me'

So how were they?
>>
>>687944
Adam? I think you got the wrong guy, friendo.
>>
>>687949
whatever your name is, but why did they do this to you? did you wear an mlp shirt?
>>
>>687955
I was wearing a plain blue t-shirt, beige shorts, and some sunglasses I bought at a gas station for $3.99
I don't know why they attacked me, I was just going for a hike and taking pictures of trees. It was one of the scariest moments of my life.
In hindsight, it seems like they were just putting on a show to scare me, but maybe that's just me trying to rationalize.
>>
>>686689
read the thread before you make your post, you tool
>>
>>686717
Those are awesome stories. That cougar one, especially. You're lucky your fight-or-flight response chose the former, you should definitely pass those genes down... in whatever way is possible for you, I guess.
>>
>>687957
How old were these kids?
Sounds like some lord of the flies shit going on
>>
>>677666
>jesus
lucifer, i presume?
>>
>>679151

Well burned Sir, well burned.
>>
>>678376
>if she gets pissed when he does then she is
going to cause major issues down the line.

Exactly this. Had a long term relationship that ended because my girlfriend was so selfish she did everything she could to stop me taking part in my hobbies (trap shooting and I wanted to get a motorbike).
>>
>>678254

Amen, brother.
>>
>>687957
sorry to hear that happened to you, didnt mean to be rude with the previous comments, kids are crazy, they did some research and find out that teenagers almost have no empathy, dont let hiking be ruined for you because of these little dickheads
>>
File: 1437184916420.gif (1000KB, 500x202px) Image search: [Google]
1437184916420.gif
1000KB, 500x202px
I have no friends so it's the only I way I can
>>
>>680321
The danger from storms, getting lost, drowning, falls, lighting, avalanches, hypothermia, snakebites, rolling your car on the way to the trailhead or any number of other mundane things are all so much higher than the danger from animal attacks that the miniscule chance of being killed by a wolf or mountain lion isn't worth worrying about.
>>
>>677613
>everything annon said

>trying to hike with gf
>she walks fast like she's trying to get somewhere all the time. Doesn't know how to slow down and take it in
>has weak bladder, needs to pee constantly

She'll follow me on whatever mosquito haven, middle of the bush, dirty, hot, wet, half planned /out adventure I drag her on, I'll give her that though...
>>
>>688622
Damn nigga I'm the opposite. Only ever knew one guy who liked to hike as fast as I do and he moved. Now I have to either go solo or go way slower than I want to.
>>
>>688638
Whats the point of being /out if your not taking it in. Life's fast enough in the city. When you get out you need to slow it down abit and enjoy yourself.
>>
>>688647
Walking fast just feels natural to me, and I'd rather cover a bunch of ground quickly. I'll take a long lunch to enjoy the scenery and get to my campsite early and relax. If I'm dayhiking it's nice to cover a lot of ground and get to neat places deep in the backcountry carrying nothing more than a light daypack.
>>
>>688647
>>688653
I like both approaches, myself.

There are times when I'm trying to get somewhere, like an alpine lake or a waterfall, and I want to cover the miles quickly.

Other times, I'm just hiking around the foothills outside my town, and I'm meditating as I walk, so I'm going slower so I can take absolutely everything in.
>>
People always ask me if I went hiking alone. I get stares like I've just punched their mom when I say yes.I just make sure to tell someone where I'm going and when I should be expected back. I always have a phone and a spot on me as we. I once invited this girl i wanted to fuck. She wouldn't stop yapping the whole fucking time. Fuck that noise. I'll always prefer silence and solitude.
Pic related, taken this afternoon,
>>
File: 2646360[1].jpg (105KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
2646360[1].jpg
105KB, 1024x768px
>>677320
>be hue
>city full of hills
>Decide to try going on one of them and finding some trail
>star climbing through residential areas
>when I'm near the end of the hill there are people on the street making "One" sign with their finger to people higher up (In the sense one person is coming up)
>"great drug dealers"
>Have to stop halfway through and make up some story about working fo rthe local university and I'm looking for trails so I can collect plant samples so they don't aproach me, shoot me, think I'm there to buy drugs
Fuck this shit, police is so inept here they don't even need to have tight security of be organized.
>>
>>680556
Have you ever been in a forest that's actually silent? Shit is sketchy.
>>
>>677320
I'm usually flyfishing, so it is preferable to go alone than deal with a group of "hikers." Scaring all my fish away.
>>
>>689024
>tfw tropical forests or savannahs here
>never silent
Fuck my life. Mangroove at small hours is silent as shit tho. I have an impression of a huge thing laying there dead since the beggining of time everytime I go there in the dead of the night or in heavy rain
>>
>>689168
The silence of snow falling with zero wind is the best silence
>>
>>689184
Fuck you and your cold and comfortable warmth of home and love. I'm cooking alive at 11 p.m here with 100% humidity and 33 C. Even if I had a girlfriend I would keep her away so we don't melt in this hell. I wish I could ride my bike and get some wind but tire got busted.
>>
File: image.jpg (29KB, 459x395px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
29KB, 459x395px
Being /out/ isn't dangerous. Nature is just indifferent. It doesn't care that you're hungry thirsty or cold. It's just your responsibility to go in with a plan and a back up plan. Enjoy the peaceful tranquility of being with Mother Nature but respect her and play by her rules and you'll have a ton of fun.
>>
>>689186
I never understood this "survival" fad thing in the last years. I mean I just got out and do stuff, or do nothing at all.
>>
>>688728
It's not even fun to trek in Rio.
Trails are either too clean and sinalized or too sketchy.
>>
>>689194
>>689194
That ain't Rio, it's floripa. And there were no treks on the favela hills I went :(. No crime either (it seems petty crime attract cops so dealers got keep the hood clear of it)
>>
>>677320

I'm full autist, so yeah, I hike alone.

All of my hikes are my favorite experience
>>
>>689192

Urban fags thinking they're tough or some shit because they can now "survive"

As someone who's only lived in the middle of nowhere, I chuckle at them. Chuckle!
>>
>>689211
Yeah really weird.I'm urbanfag but did my fair share of treking, hunting is ilegal here but I still find it really weird, people think it's a race against death just because you are "innawoods" but who gives a crap, it's just being there for fucks sake. I laugh at preppers and those fat /k/ people who have no Idea of what they do and waste bagajilions on equipment when they only need a knife and some simple things.
>>
>>689242
Using prepper as a pejorative just makes you look irresponsible and short sighted.
>>
>>689488
Because preparing for the end of the world every year is very reasonable. You are just anxious people venting that off being preppers
>>
>>689493
What pisses me off is when preppers start talking about things they don't understand like EMPs or [spoiler]Social relations[/spoiler] and end up shitting every thread and conversation
>>
>>689493
Except people like you call anybody who prepares even extra water and food in case of natural disaster a paranoid 'prepper'.
>>
>>677648

This. I let him off the leash and he just does his own thing, though waits for me if Im trailing far behind.

My mind is free to observe and wander in nature, yet I dont feel 'alone' in that depressing sense.

I think if anything hiking with my dog makes me more in tune with the nature than going without him. He changes when he's in the woods, his behavior and mentality, I can see it, and it helps me change too
>>
>>689662
>let him off the leash
Seriously, fuck off. People like you shouldn't own dogs. I just got back from a hike and literally was accosted by 4 fucking dogs because they were off leash and they 'needed to check me out' according to handlers.
>>
>>689654
>t. angry prepper
I stock goods because it's an habit I got from the hyperinflation times, when products had 3 diferent prices a day depending when you looked, and because we have not cleared those times yet. I don't go gibber jabering about EMPs that affect the whole world (because the world is a flat panel facing the sun rite) and Diseases that kill everyone EXCEPT you, or go in retard mode because "GUVERNMET TOOK MY AUTOMATIC 88mm "SPORT CANNON" AND MAI FREEDUNS WITH IT.BLACK CHOPPERS, SURVIVAL BLA BLA BLA!" People like this are either doing this coping with something, simply being retarded/american. Just like UFO and Sasquatch people doing that so they have a little attention on their miserable lonely lives.
>>689663
I had a few dobermans and usually let them off leash, they usually kept really close to me and only aproached people I did. I guess it changes from people to people.
>>
>>689663
>people like you

Where I go there is seldom other people, and if I were to come across any I would always put him back on the leash and deter him away from the people, he's a 150lb Shiloh German Shepherd so people sometimes dont get scared

Guess you just got spooked today but do you really need to be a such a lil bitch about fucking dogs?
>>
>>689665
Doing this to cope with*
>>
>>689665
Why don't you understand how words are used before you try to use them in unusual ways. Because the majority of people who use prepper as an insult think keeping spare food means you are worried about EMP's and the Chinese.

To people who actually prepares for problems someone who uses the term 'prepper' pejoratively is immediately written off as an irresponsible idiot unable or unwilling to look after themselves because of this.
>>
>>689666
Not just today, every fucking time, entitled dog owners with their doges off leash.
To top it off the a-holes take the poop bags, pick up the poop and then toss the bag into a tree.
You may be one of the few but ignorant dog owners have made your pets hated by the rest of us.
The bottom line is if there is a leash law your dog needs to be leashed. Being innawoods does not make the law go away. Stop being entitled asses.
>>
How do I get into this? I'm living in south Florida and want to start going on solo hikes.
New to /out/ in general
>>
>>689806
Put one foot in front of the other
And soon you'll be walking 'cross the floor.
You put one foot in front of the other
And soon you'll be walking out the door.

You never will get where you're going
If ya never get up on your feet.
Come on, there's a good tail wind blowin'
A fast walking man is hard to beat.
>>
>>689806
http://floridahikes.com/south-florida

Those Everglades Wildlife Management Areas are basically a free for all. Probably lots of back roads and trails back there. Do some research, read the laws regarding different places (BLM, WMA, National Park, Recreation area, etc.), and stay safe.
>>
>>689762
Some time ago in the PNW someone dropped some sausages that had been dipped in poisonous pest control spray around a park.

Most dogs on leashes afterwards.

Just a thought,
>>
>>689665
Don't talk shit about UFO's and bigfoot ya bish
>>
>>690087
I fucking hate people. I don't really mind dogs off leashes, but it really depends on the dog and how crowded the trail is, but that is such a dick move by whoever did that.

I was actually hiking yesterday and this guy about my age (26) had his golden lab off of a leash walking by me and my buddy. I told him we saw about 6 or 8 deer about 1/4 mile back, and he just like sneered at me and said "okay," as if I was telling him to go sight seeing or something. I was really telling him to keep an eye on his dog so it doesn't go chasing them.

5 minutes or so later, I hear a dog braying and barking and the owner hollering at the dog because it obviously took off after a doe or something. Fucking idiot.
>>
>>677320
I go hiking just to connect with nature a bit and to center myself by not thinking about anything for once. That's why I want only minimal encounters with anything "civilized" or human, so I don't want any people on my hike other than me.
I usually hike naked anyways so it's probably for the best if none of the people I know come with me, because most, if not all of them think nudism/naturism is some sort of fetish.
>>
>>689882
Awesome, Thank you
>>
>>690889
You are very welcome my newbie /out/ friend! Have an awesome time dude, bein out and hikin around is the best. Also, FL has fantastic wildlife. Such a huge variety. Cheers!
>>
>>678521
You and me both haha.... Sad considering how much I just spent on gear for this year's hikes and fishing trips....
>>
>>691502
> spent on gear

More GLAMPING!

If you were homeless, you'ed know before hand that consumer bullshit is a waste of money!

Can we make this a homeless thread?
>>
File: IMAG1066.jpg (4MB, 2688x1520px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG1066.jpg
4MB, 2688x1520px
>>689024
Grew up in rural north Louisiana... I mean rural. Was about 40 miles of dirt roads around and lots of old deer camps no one used anymore. Most the cabins or camps were falling in and had trees growing out of them, made for some awesome exploring when you found em. So out following some game trails in a huge acreage, lots of fields and hardwoods with little underbrush considering how bad that can get around there.... Bird, squirrels yada yada, plenty of noise and I'm moving pretty fast just carrying a .22. Suddenly crush a smalll branch on a step and realize how loud it is. Stop and listen and there is fuck nothing making a sound. Its early summer and there's usually at least a random woodpecker in the distance.... I I can't spot any recognizable path or landmark or anything, just a darker thicket directly up off to my right. Idk why, that feeling just hit me. I froze up... Took minutes I swear before I clicked the safety off on the old ruger, still don't hear anything other than my weight barely shifting on the leaves.... The hairs on my back and my neck have begun to change places with each other and I can't identify what it is. I look in both directions to my side and finally get the nerve to look back. Nothing. Just shadows from the clouds sailing by. I finally just noped out and took off at a fast walk through the woods to my left (i was kind of paralleling an old logging road) after about 5 minutes of walking (ok I was jogging by this point) I spotted some birds in the trees and started picking up noises (other than my feet destroying any leaves and limbs in my path) I finally calmed down when I reached one of the little creeks I recognized and got some water and stopped to breath. I've been in some quiet places since then. Been camping, hiking, fishing, and hunting for 20 years since then. Never experienced dead silence like that again nor has anything ever unnerved me quite so much.
>>
>>691508
In response to your shit, I still use a 10 year old external frame pack and don't really understand you gear fags.... Have you ever seen how much good quality clothes to handle sub zero temps cost... No you haven't, because you have never been /out/
>>
>>691569
> sad considering just how much I spent

Whatever, damage control GLAMPER motherfucker.
>>
>>691577
Go be homeless somewhere else please, you're pissing off the locals
>>
>>687455
How long did your trip take and how much did it cost in total? For a while I've wanted to do exactly what you did.
>>
>>683071
I'm a pretty inexperienced climber, but how would solo climbing even work? Are you just climbing without any rope?
>>
is there anything worse than sitting in the woods enjoying the solitude and hearing a group of heavy-footed idiots crashing through the trees at 0.5 mph talking about stupid bullshit from a mile away
>>
>>692386
From another thread I posted in...

I ended up spending about $11k. That includes about $1500 for car repairs and new tires. I could have cut that in half pretty easily, but I had about $30k in the bank so I wanted to enjoy myself. Lots of good booze, decent meals from time to time, sometimes splurge on a hotel room if it wasn't a rip off and had a nice view. Gas is half as expensive now as it was, so I'm bout to just pack up my life in my Jeep this time and find somewhere out west to find work and move. Sick of living close to a big city and dealing with traffic and negroes basically.

Was a great trip and now I have a chance to do it again, except this time I'm going to wander and end up just settling down where I enjoy and can find a decent job. Also, this time I know where I'd like to visit and where I can afford to pass on this trip. Got the wanderlust, it's addicting shit.
>>
>>692613
cholera?
>>
>>677320
hiking alone is very dangerous, if you do. at least tell someone where you are going first
>>
>>689196
i really enjoy barra da lago for trekking
>>
>>692834
>hiking alone is very dangerous
walking
walking alone
walking alone is dangerous
walking alone is very dangerous
kill me now please
>>
>>693245
This..... If you're doing something technical or some super difficult hike, I totally support letting people know where you're going and a timeline. But jesus, most hikes are just walking along an established trail, it just happens to be in nature.
>>
>>692834
Lol, and don't forget notify your insurance company and consult with your lawyer. Oh, almost forgot ,don't forget to bring a towel.
>>
>>693273
... and sign a waiver
>>
I went on a 30 mile walk-about in the Beartooth Mountains in Montana for 4 days. On one particularly beautiful day, I saw a mountain goat standing next to a waterfall 50 yards from the trail. That day, I found God.
>>
>>693301
>That day, I found God.
d-did you grope it
>>
>>693273
I actually always do bring a golf towel with me when I go out. If I have to cross a creek that is higher than my boots, I just pop off my socks and shoes, cross, then dry off my feet and carry on. Towels are super useful.
>>
>>680335
>but they're such good ambush predators that they'll be biting your neck and snapping your spinal cord before you even noticed they were there
This is such bullshit. They are ambush predators, and are good at it. But you can still catch them watching you. In my area we have an estimated 2000 homeless people living in the mountains, some of them fugitives for violent crimes. Always take a gun with you hiking.
>>
>>677320
going to the fake tourist bunion is not hiking alone.
>>
I don't think I have ever been out with other people since I was like 12 or 13.

I just let someone know where I will be and for how long.

Maybe it is because I am a loner by nature but I don't even think I would be able to enjoy hiking with others.
Most people feel the need to talk ALL THE FUCKING TIME and look to be entertained and coddled by the people they are around. Or most people I have been around anyway.
That would just destroy most of the enjoyment of a hike.
>>
>>689666
Not the dude you are talking to, but were I live feral dogs and dog attacks are a thing where I live.
If a strange dog rushes me I will defend myself first and ask questions later.
I refuse to take the chance of getting mauled to death because some dick head does not want to use a leach.
>>
>>690336
>I usually hike naked anyways
Super illegal where I live.

Like can end up on the sex offenders list type illegal.
Thread posts: 154
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.