[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to get over fear of leading?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: scared.jpg (693KB, 1293x716px) Image search: [Google]
scared.jpg
693KB, 1293x716px
hey, /out/, when I go climbing at the gym (have to get comfy leading in gym b4 i go /out/side to climb) I get scared to death leading above a bolt and freeze up, especially when clipping and am super pumped.
Anyone have the same problem? Solutions?
>>
>>677224
Smoke some weed
>>
In the gym, go up a few bolts and practice falling a lot. There is a reason you should trust the equipment, so convince yourself of it.
>>
>>677228
i feel like that would impair my judgement too much...
>>
>>677235
Do a bump of coke to even you out
>>
tell your belayer not to take, no matter how much of a whiny bitch you become, and just keep going til you pop off.

oh, and drop the "i have to get good enough to go outside" mindset and get on some real rock.
>>
>>677224

Practive falling and test your gear.

There's no other way around it.
>>
>>677774
>>677234
this
you also get experience and learn how to fall to avoid damage
>>
>>677224
>doing retard life threatening shit is scary

who knew?

>>677774
>>677791
>practice falling

lol so like practice smashing your body until it reaches the consistency of a bag of skittles?
>>
>>677224
I know that feel anon.

My only suggestion would be to practice falls in the gym to kill the fear, and then practice falls on an overhung outdoors route.
>>
>>677224
If sport climbing, find a good route w well space bolts, and climb it and do a "clip-drop" lead. You can do this at the gym too ex https://vimeo.com/4026166

If leading on trad, find a buddy to help evaluate your gear. Then find a good route, start w passive pro (stoppers,) equalize 1 or 2 and climb a little above the piece, and fall on it. Same deal w active pro. Equalize a piece or place a few in quick succession, and fall on it.

Your lead head will get better in time anon. We're all scared of falling now and again. It's how you harness the fear and focus it.
>>
>>678106
No, you practice falling and getting your body into a ready position, hands up knees bent to absord the impact. Practice falling and keeping the rope in front of you so it doesn't spin flip you upside down.
>>
>>678106
see OP, this is what happen if you don't practice: on your first fall you'll land head first and end up with a single digit QI
>>
Do some whipper therapy in the gym, clip third or fourth draw, climb halfway above the fifth and just drop on it.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.