[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Planning a backpacking trip to Denali, AK. Any suggestions or

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 14

File: 6W2w5jm.jpg (349KB, 900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
6W2w5jm.jpg
349KB, 900x1200px
Planning a backpacking trip to Denali, AK. Any suggestions or tips? Can/should I bring a gun?
>>
Yes bring a fucking gun u idiot. Don't be one of those people we have to remind all the other lower 48 fags not to be like
>>
Also bring a bug net, life straw, ham radio etc.
It's pretty warm up there in the summer so a floor mat and poncho liner will suffice
>>
>gun
>unseful against animals that can't harm you
>not useful against animals that could harm you
whatever bro if you want to go shooting things just do it and embrace it for what it is, and don't search for justification
>>
Am I able to bring said gun on said plane?
>>
If CIA isn't on the plane sure
>>
>>677170
Spotted the faggot whose never stepped foot in AK.

Remember what I said when we always have that one person whom we tell not to be like, well u just found him

Also I'll take 12 gauge can take down a bear you humungus faggot for 500 Alex
>>
>>677171
No ammo on plane
Gun must be unloaded and in a lockable hard case

You must declare your firearm when you check in
>>
>>677176
7.62 will take down a bear in enough rounds right?
>>
>>677179
I've heard the firing pin or the whole bolt assembly needs to be stored outside of the rifle
>>
>>677176
>>
>>677179
This is why I just charter my own plane
https://www.netjets.com/Mobile-Global-Landing/

>inb4 poorfag doesn't have his own plane
It's such a waste of money when I can just charter one any weekend I feel like getting away to Corchevel for the weekend.
>>
>>677185
What kinda dick head charters a jet to go backpacking
>>
>>677183
For Alaska Airlines no

I don't thing the bolt needs to be taken out

Also I'm more 7.8 but that should suffice

.357 hand gun will also keep u safe.

There are some behemoth brown bears up there that would need a whole magazine discharged.
>>
>>677186
A rich one :^)

Why not take the ferry system. You can pitch a tent on the upper deck and u can go all over alaska with it.
>>
>>677185
I've seen your 12 dollar knives. You don't charter jets.
>>
>>677187
M&P 10 will drop a grizzly in a mag
>military fag
So hitting a big Bear shouldn't be an issue
>>
>>677189
Maybe he likes to LARP as an explorer
>>
File: image.jpg (200KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
200KB, 1200x800px
>>677186
Are you saying you don't take a helicopter when you go skiing?
>>
>>677194
Who the fuck goes skiing? I bet you'd vote for jeb too
>>
>>677173
Where's the best place to buy gear? I haven't been backpacking in years. Army surplus, basspro, of amazon?
>>
File: image.jpg (55KB, 341x512px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
55KB, 341x512px
>>677189
I rent the nice knives when I need them, just like the Gulfstream.

Also, I can always borrow one from my personal chef. Or my on-call sherpa. I don't think you are familiar with what Pepsi pays their truck drivers these days.
>>
File: 1451606988464.jpg (78KB, 766x601px) Image search: [Google]
1451606988464.jpg
78KB, 766x601px
>>677190
Yeah u guessed it bud.

Where I'm at we got more black bears than browns. Just want OP to be more that prepared if he's gonna be dicking around in Denali.
>>
>>677196
Try on what you like at REI, and then buy it from eBay.
>>
>>677194
>>
>>677201
Yep this guy said it in a nutshell.

Buy some edible plant/ bushcraft books.

Knowledge is your friend anon
>>
>>677199
Unless you're going coast to coast not that much
>>
>>677203
I used to be a boy scout, got my eagle, and then forgot everything
>>
>>677200
I'm going with op that's why I'm here too, and the m&p 10 works on blacks here in Florida so I'm sure the black bears and grizzlys can't be too much harder
>>
>>677205
I actually make more money local than most OTR dudes who work for big companies.

>>677202
Goddamn, Pepsi sponsors so much stupid shit.
>>
>>677208
I have family that worked a summer job for uni where he delivered ice and he made 40k in 12 weeks so maybe you're not lying pepsifag
>>
>>677210
I wish I made 40k in 12 weeks.

But the dudes that drive OTR for big companies like Swift in the US make $35k-$45k a year. I do better than that and get to sleep in my own bed every night and shit in my own bathroom.

Only way to make real money OTR is owning your own truck.
>>
>>677212
Step father makes 90k a year driving Florida delivering pool shit
>>
>>677212
Also the only good thing Pepsi makes is dr.pepper so get a new career
>>
>>677165

alaska is literally the only excuse for gun ownership in america

literally, no other reason exists
i dont care what part of wyomming you are from or how many wild wolves you fear. there is just no more reason to own a gun in america

when guns becoming 100% illegal and criminalized, alaska is probably the only place they would still remain legal

that would be some amazing shit for obamas term though
if he made weed legal and guns illegal.
it seems right
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>677215
Technically Dr. Pepper is a different company and Pepsi only bottles and distributes it in certain markets.

And eventually I will get on something else. I'm just racking up a few years of experience before moving on to something else.

>>677214
Does he own his own truck? $90k sounds exaggerated unless he is driving his own truck.
>>
>>677225
Quit derailing
>>
>>677225
No he doesn't but he's almost 20 years in at the company and drives an exclusive route (he's the only one allowed to drive) also he has certain permits allowing him to carry chemicals for pools and shot so that helps a bit
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>677226
My bad.

OP, bring lots of Mountain Dewâ„¢ Kickstartâ„¢. The perfect amount of energy for those late nights out in Alaska!

>Try our new flavors! Blood Orange, Watermelon, and Blueberry Pomegranate!
>>
>>677237
Disgusting
>>
File: 35tojc.jpg (48KB, 590x318px) Image search: [Google]
35tojc.jpg
48KB, 590x318px
>>677217
>>
>>677207
NOOOOOO

Grizzlies get a hell of a lot bigger. Blackies are like big dogs. A grizzly is 9 ft tall in some rare cases.

Just make sure u keep ur food hung and at least 60 ft away from camp

Keep ur eyes out for tracks and bear shit. Stay away from their cubs. If your gonna fish have one person standing sentry.

I've had one do a fake charge and I just about pissed myself. I didn't have a gun. Will never ever make that mistake again. If I were u I'd look at juneau. Lots of good trails. U can get there by ferry.
>>
>>677207
http://www.alaska.org/destination/juneau/trails

There's also a hostel/ good campgrounds in town so if you need a break while /out/ you can take it. I know people that will come up here and spend the whole summer just camping and hiking and fishing. Also look up mendenhall glacier ice caves and ask yourself if u really wanna go fuck around in denali. I live up here and I don't go fucking around north of anchorage at least with a truck.
>>
>>677207
Also, Juneau has decent public transportation so u can get around to different trails easier. If I were u I'd think about flying to seattle, taking the ferry up to Juneau or Sitka. and spend a month exploring. Just bring rain gear
>>
Only one person has ever been killed by a bear in the entire history of Denali National park.

It's not really a concert.

Bears just don't kill people very often at all.

You can shoot a bear that does not want to attack you. A bear that does want to attack you, will do so much MUCH quicker than you could ever draw and fire your gun. Even then, with a VERY large cailber, you'd need an absolute perfect headshot to take down a charging grizzly bear. A grizzly will just keep charging, even if it's wounded badly enough to be fatal, it will maul and charge for a few minutes before it bleeds out unless it's a perfect shot with a large caliber.

I would however carry bear spray, as it can deter a bear that becomes territorial or aggressive.
>>
File: 1450208869136.jpg (6KB, 215x204px) Image search: [Google]
1450208869136.jpg
6KB, 215x204px
>>677170

>Liberal trashfag spotted.
>>
File: tumblr_o0rwyfE7gc1tlrio8o9_540.jpg (57KB, 540x355px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o0rwyfE7gc1tlrio8o9_540.jpg
57KB, 540x355px
>>677298
fîte me
>>
>>677181
yeah, but it's better not to have to shoot the bear more than once.
>>
>>677170
/k/ here. Youre fucking stupid. A full sized rifle will take down anything on God's green earth. Bring a bolt gun in something like 7.62x54r, .308, .30-06, .30-30, etc. Now git you dirty hippie.
>>
>>677501
Muh nigga

OP if your a green horn up here stick to SE alaska. Save denali for later. Juneau is a small city with everything you should need if you need a break and it's mostly black bear here. Don't do denali if you don't have wheels.
>>
>Can/should I bring a gun?

I'm assuming this is about the bear danger.

A much much more valuable use of your time is to learn proper bear safe storage techniques. The most important is keeping all of your food in a bear canister, and hanging it appropriately.
Then learn to recognize bear sign. Buy a book on it. Read it cover to cover twice.

Once you've learned those and have the time and money to learn what you're doing, sure.

The most important thing is to think of it as you're going to act exactly how you would if you didn't have a gun (seriously, try image training to make decisions as if you didn't have a gun on you; train yourself to instinctively recognize and shut down thoughts like, "Well, I have my gun, so maybe I shouldn't worry about going in that direction."); except for when a bear is actually literally attacking you, you can draw and use it and maybe live when you otherwise wouldn't've.

Assuming you're not otherwise hunting, you probably want to get a small extremely high caliber revolver with a heavy rubber handle. You will want to put in literally fifty to a hundred hours firing specifically that gun before you can even think of protecting yourself with it.

Aside from that I've never been. I hear it's super beautiful. Make sure you bring multiple methods of making emergency signals.
>>
>>677170
am i being trolled? i'm being trolled
>>
You'll most likely take the Alaska Railroad from Fairbanks to Denali. Unless you are super experienced deep in the /out/ I suggest you get a guide. The Alaskan /out/ is the real fucking deal.
>>
>>677821
I used to rough it in the Appalachians. How does it compare?
>>
>>677865
There's a big difference. Once again if you're new to AK would suggest south east alaska first (it's the size of Florida so there is a lot to see). Most people going to Denali are either experienced mountaineers or they have a type of RV basecamp. If you fuck up in SE there are hospitals, air stations etc to help you out. In Denali you might be waiting a while.

Also, don't listen to the pathological faggot saying:
>Muh one recorded bear attack

Don't become #2
Also look up bear attack averages on the continent then make a decision

Serioulsy, faggot in aforementioned reply above thinks:

>hurry durr it's a denali 700 lb bear it won't hurt me, I'll spray it with pepper spray which works on 1/2 of humans in general
>>
>>677942
Is it that insane? I used to backpack through the smokeys.
>>
>>678081
I'm from the Knoxville area. Did really just compare Denali to the Smokies? Really, man?
>>
>>678101
I have no point of reference. I just want to see what I can relate it to. I'm getting a lot of conflicting info in this thread. Is it like Tahoe or Appalachians or is it its own thing I need to experience first hand?
>>
>>677165
Umbrella is more important, it fucking rains nonstop at Denali.
>>
File: vroom.jpg (15KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
vroom.jpg
15KB, 400x300px
>>677501
hURR Durr I browse the weapons board. It's not about what will simply do the job, it's about what will slow down the 600 pounds of fury BEARing down on your ass faster than you can think. Literally everyone in the forestry service where i'm from carries a 12 gauge for grizzlies because they have the stopping power needed. Stop fucking telling people a high calibre bolt gun is what they need because you could get someone killed.
>>
>>677179
Wrong
You can have ammo on planes it needs to be stored in a similar fashion to the firearm You choose
You are allowed to store it in the same case as the rifle
Literally just google tsa rules >>677171
>>
>>678466
So I shouldn't listen to the /k/ memesters?
>>
>>679033
Definitely not. Unless they tell you to bring a 12 gauge with slugs and a tube with no less than 5 rounds. /k/ seems (in general) uninformed about outdoor activities, just look at their "innawoods guides," complete garbage advice.
>>
>>678466
Just for the record I first recommended a 12ga
>>
>>678662
My bad,

Never traveled with ammo
>>
>>679495
To be fair, /k/'s innawoods guides are predicated on running, hiding, fighting, and basically being a dick in the woods- kind of different goals than /out/. It is mostly balls though, true.
>>
>>678114
It's almost 3 hours from anchorage I'd you fuck up or wanna leave it'll be hard

Juneau has everything close by. Need a tent - Fred meyer. Fall and Crack your skull - hospital. Get lost - coast guard air station sitka. Rains about the same at denali. Way more mosquitoes in denali. Want to check out multiple trails in one day? Legit bus system and taxis. Mostly black bear too.
>>
Do you deliver in AK peps?
>>
File: images-3.png (5KB, 224x225px) Image search: [Google]
images-3.png
5KB, 224x225px
>>677286
Exguse me midster camper I'm gonna ead u nao. Prepare yourdelf and bray to gesus.

Oh waid I'm a benali bear I ondly gill peoble dat don't hab bebber sbray and I'm only allowed one gill per cendury so I'm going home now

Bye bye
>>
>>677171
I took my gun on a plane and I had my ammo in the same lockable hard case that the gun was in. No problems
>>
>>679588
For sure, I just hate seeing their stuff on /out/, i'm afraid people will buy into it.
>>
>>677195
Go to hell
>>
File: 1200.jpg (119KB, 1200x750px) Image search: [Google]
1200.jpg
119KB, 1200x750px
>>677286
I wonder who's behind this post?
>>
>>677237
i enjoyed the pineapple mango flavor, will i like the new ones?
>>
>>679990
You won't
>>
>>677170

.22lr can kill anything in the world, .308 can kill anything in the world reliably

that said, I would see if i could find a combination gun in .22lr/30something or 40something. Because .22lr is great for plinking, and if you see a tasty wabbit, 30anything will kill whatever seeks to harm you pretty easily.
>>
>>677185

you are my least favorite tripfag.

on a related not, how do i filter tripfags again?
>>
>>677501
mfw.jpg when he was talking about mosquitos and other insects. imagining anon shooting bugs out of the air constantly. i guess thats what the texans do so
>>
>>681507
Fuck mosquito's. My state is in a state of emergency because of a mosquito borne illness
>>
>>681475
>take .22lr moose hunting
>get shit pushed in
>>
Nice dog
>>
>>681475
>>681475
>30-06 can kill anything in the world. .50 can kill anything in the world reliably.

Ftfy.

On a serious note, I hate the ".22lr literally can't kill anything but rabbits" meme, but for anything much bigger other than humans it's pretty much useless. If you shoot a pig with a .22 the round is liable to barely even get all the way through the hide and fat, most likely not through the skull.

>tl;dr
There are minimum calibres for certain game for a reason, take right weapon for the job instead of fooling yourself into thinking one projectile fits all.
>>
>>677217
You shut the fuck up you pathetic traitor. You deserve to either get shipped off to shitty ass Europe or get stabbed and left to bleed out on the cold hard ground.
>>
>>678466
>12 gauge for grizzlies
HAHAHAHAHAHAAH
>they have the stopping power needed
Jesus Christ kill yourself
>>
>>682185
>taking the bait this hard
>>
>>682236
Yeah I figure it's bait, definitely triggered me though, considering there are people that think like this.
>>
>>677165
>going anywhere
>not bringing a gun
>going to alaska
>not bringing a cannon

>>677217
>when guns becoming 100% illegal and criminalized
you antigunners really are the worst. when guns are criminalized i'm still going to have one or two or however many i want. they will never ever, no matter how much you hope and pray to obama and marx, be able to collect and dispose of all guns in america. if by some miracle the government was 100% effective in collecting all guns, it wont be the end of guns for the public. i'll start making them in my garage and sell them for a great profit. i'll be rolling in money. so fuck you. guns are going nowhere.
>>
>>677286
>A bear that does want to attack you, will do so much MUCH quicker than you could ever draw and fire your gun
you just have to work on your quickdraw. git gud faggot.

https://youtu.be/vUG8UPsgE3U?t=1m37s
>>
>>682473
bout 1:40. a stream of shit would have launched me to safety in this situation. but a gun is still nice to have.
>>
>>682479
Kek
Thread posts: 90
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.