[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hey /out/doorsmen partiffcularly those in to bass fishing i

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: ketfush.jpg (136KB, 527x800px) Image search: [Google]
ketfush.jpg
136KB, 527x800px
hey /out/doorsmen partiffcularly those in to bass fishing

i live in north east ohio and have always wondered about why bass fishermen are rocking 15, 20, ive eaven met a guy who uses 30 pound mono for bass
why? in my area they only get to about 5 pounds, and ive never heard of one over 8, so why are so many bass fishermen using line that breaks at 3-6 times the weight of the fish theyre catching?
i mean when im going after smallies im using 4 pound test and ive yet to lose one, and ive never gone after bass with heavier than 10 pound test
i mean my heaviest catfish rod has 20 pound line on it, and i've used it to bring in a 5 foot shark in nc once, as well as a 4 foot wide stingray the next night while in nc
>picture un related, its a little catfish i got while teaching my niece and nephew haw to fish for blue gill
>>
>>676747
im asking because im looking to get more in to bass fishing, i usually do carp, catfish, pike/muskie, trout/steelhead, and panfishing
>>
>>676747
i mean doesnt it take some of the fun out of fishing if all youre trying to do is get a bite, and you can just rip them out of anything no problem?
i mean sometimes i feel like 15 pound test is overkill for the pike around me because it feels like i can just about rip their lips off and swing them out of the water
>>
>>676747
Don't know about 30lbs mono, might be a little bit much but my three set ups are:
>50lbs braid - for heavy cover like punching grass mats and getting out of lay downs
>30lbs braid - medium cover like lily pads and docks
>10lbs fluorocarbon - for cranking / finesse
>>
>>676756
yeah like right there is exactly what confuses me
why not rock 6-8 pound floro
why do you need more than 30 braid for anything freshwater aside from trophy blue and flathead catfish, or sturgeon
>>
>>676761
I'm assuming >>676756 uses heavier lines because the water cover and surround objects are major snag points, which become lure graveyards.
>>
>>676764
For the most part its for fish/lure recovery.
Large mouth bass are one of those fish that really like to wrap line around every cover they're in.
>Punching grass mats usually ends up with 3lbs fish 30lbs grass.
>In a tree? they'll wrap around every branch
>In a dock? they'll swim around that piling 3 or 4 times.
>>
>>676747
In florida for example. where its all "do you fish?" "yes" "oh whats your biggest bass?" you learn some shit.. you find me a waterway besides maybe a spring outlet, that isn't covered in fucking weeds/grass/algae than I'll fucking eat the next fish you catch raw.

do I use 30lb? No, I use to use 40lb and catch panfish all the way up to bass... only because I was a newb.. also if you fish somewhere when you have a high chance at casting into fucking trees.. then a tough line is nice especially if you don't like losing bobbers, I HATE losing bobbers.
>>
>>676785
Mono?

Anything over 10lb or 12lb mono is just so unmanageable. If I'm fishing somewhere I think I will get fucked by obstacles, I can use 20lb-30lb braid. The 20lb on the baitcaster will rip through a whole lot of weeds. The bigger pier/catfish rods have 30lb-40lb.
>>
>>676785
>if you don't like losing bobbers, I HATE losing bobbers
I laughed
>>
>>676747
> catches a catfish while fishing for bluegill

You're doing something wrong
>>
They are planning for the worst with that heavy duty line. I see kooks from all over the country come to my local lake w all that heavy duty braid.
I use 20 lb and have not had any problems
>>
>>676818
i decided to fuck about so i put on a bigger split shot and took off my bobber and got out as far as my ultralight rod and 4 pound test could get, expecting a perch or something, and thats what i got
>>676887
see thats still what im on about, like, it seems over kill to use 20 pound test for a bass where a trophy bas is 8 pounds
i can get 15 throwing in to lilly pads and trees, but why 20? its so much stiffer, hurting casting distance, and thicker making it more visible.
>>
>>676747
OP here, saying i guess its something i have to lose [insert monitary value] worth of gear understand, so im going to call this thread answered and finished

thanks for bothering
>>
>>676747
>so why are so many bass fishermen using line that breaks at 3-6 times the weight of the fish theyre catching?

Because they're barbarians with no sense of finesse.
>>
>>676747
OP, are you familiar with Lake Milton, Ohio?
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.