[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Good hiking meals/recipes? Please share

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: pocket-rocket-stove-12592.jpg (48KB, 640x533px) Image search: [Google]
pocket-rocket-stove-12592.jpg
48KB, 640x533px
Good hiking meals/recipes?

Please share
>>
>pesto
>pasta
>salami/cransky/chorizo/whatever chopped in
Easy as fuck to make, tastes good, high in cals and protein.
>>
Kinda feel like this is a lost cause. Everything that tastes good either needs a lot of stuff to be carried around with you or takes a lot of energy (regarding stoves with gas cartridges).
I prefer either making a real fire to make pasta or ready made food like pic related: tastes good, leightweight, fast to make.
>>
>>675747
Pasta, rice and oats are always great.
>>
>>675765
They changed this stuff like 5 or so years ago and it's not nearly as good. Also way too salty.
>>
what kind of pasta do you guys bring and how do you pack it? it seems like such a spacious food item prone to breaking up and becoming nothing but crumbs
>>
>>676175
My friend (admittedly redneck as fuck) brings egg noodles with him constantly, whole bags of the stuff, in the short length, like 2 inches long a noodle. He usually adds dehydrated eggs+veggies and I'm usually jelly even though I have a freeze dried meal.
>>
One thing I made once at the end of a long vehicle based camping trip to use up supplies, but could be made en masse in advance then packed into small ziploc bags...

1 bag of bear creek potato soup mix
2 packets instant mashed potatoes
1 packet of the knorrs alfredo

Added water till the consistency was kinda soupy. Did it a second time mixing in canned corned beef hash. The base recipe served a lot of people (5-6 easily). Was pretty tasty potato-y stuff, and would be easy to mix up before a trip, and portion out.
>>
>>676175
I like couscous when backpacking. it's so tiny, it can't break any further!

seriously though, the high surface area/volume ratio means that it cooks very easily. I can just stir the pasta into boiling water, add spices/vegetable/meats, cover the pot and switch off the heat. 5 min later, it's ready to eat.

it packs together densely too, so it doesn't take up much space in the pack.
>>
First I head to the dollar store.

There, I buy anything that comes as a powdered, dehydrated mix, which turns into something edible when hot water is added.

This includes a surprisingly wide range of foods. For example, soups, stews, oatmeal, eggs, mashed potatoes, etc.

I then open the packages and dump the powder into ziplock bags, as I can press out the air so they take up less space. I label the bags in black sharpie so I know what each of them is.

There is no reason to buy "hiking meals". They are the same thing. It is just dehydrated noodles and powder for the sauce. But $5-$11 instead of $1.

This is the best I have been able to figure out for weight savings. I do not carry water except for what I plan to drink while walking.

Water for cooking is sourced in situ using a Sawyer mini, then boiled using an off brand jetboil style isopro pocket stove.
>>
>>676217
any ramen noodles with other flavoring is probably a good idea, thanks for the input
>>676354
hm I've never thought of couscous to be very appetizing but seems practical so I'll try it, thanks
>>
>>676362
Cheers for that. Was looking at some hiking meals wondering if they would be worth it. Oats with honey definitely come across as being a great high energy breakfast
>>
File: Erbswurst.jpg (87KB, 1417x277px) Image search: [Google]
Erbswurst.jpg
87KB, 1417x277px
>>675747
The Germans have been using Erbswurst as combat food for over a hundred years.

You can find a recipe for making it yourself here:
http://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausages-by-country/german-sausages/erbswurst
>>
File: _MG_7523.jpg (384KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
_MG_7523.jpg
384KB, 1200x800px
>>676175
With olive oil, pepper, salt, thyme, oregano and/or mint leaves if I find any. Bonus: put a bouillon cube in the water.
>>
Here's a question.

I like the premade bag meals because you eat out of the bag. No clean up.

I've made pasta and sauce in my coot pot before. Afterwards the pot is covered in sauce. How do I clean it when out in the woods?

Use my camp towel? Then the towel is just a bear magnet. How do you clean your stuff so the next day your breakfast doesn't taste like your dinner, or you coffee water isn't flavored with knorr pasta sides?
>>
>>677043
boil water in it and scrub
>>
>>677043
water and sand is your friend
>>
tinned soup

tinned beans
>>
>>676362
This is what I do. I also add milk powder to the oats in the bag.
>>
>>675747
I'm kinda big on honey, peanut butter, nuts, and oatmeal. You can combine them all with about a pound of butter and make something called Hudson's Bay Bread, which has kinda morphed into "Granola", when they added GORP.
Funny how that works, ain't it?

Sorry, but I'm not your guy if you want to cook anything besides SPAM.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.