[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So there is a self-filling water bottle now

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

File: fontusairo.jpg (216KB, 818x545px) Image search: [Google]
fontusairo.jpg
216KB, 818x545px
I won't name it otherwise this will look like shilling. The gist is that it uses a flexible solar panel (included) to power a small fan and TEG which chills the incoming air, then the condensation drips down into the bottle and you have water to drink.

It is indeed filtered to keep out dust, bugs, etc. but not chemical contaminants, so you don't want to use it in the city.

They claim under ideal conditions it will produce 27 ounces of water per hour. Ideal conditions being 86-104 degrees F, 80-90% humidity.

What sort of performance is realistic under more moderate conditions? Could this be worth the weight or is it more meme gear like the biolite?
>>
Sounds like meme gear, but meme gear I wouldn't mind trying out for the novelty.
>>
File: Relative_Humidity.png (9KB, 500x481px) Image search: [Google]
Relative_Humidity.png
9KB, 500x481px
>>674999
The most popular version seems to be meant to be mounted on a bicycle. The convection that will be produced thanks to the speed of the bicycle is probably going to help a lot.

It's not trivial to calculate exactly how efficient it will be under different conditions, but obviously it is going to be more efficient the higher the temperature and the higher the humidity. If we for the moment assume that the peltier device is extremely cold we get a higher limit in that the volume of water is proportionate to the absolute humidity. Now, obviously 27 ounces per hour is under the best conditions they tested it in, so probably 40 degrees centigrade (104F) and 90% relative humidity. The ambient absolute humidity is then around 50g/kg. Now your moderate conditions might be 20C (~70F) with 70% humidity. The ambient absolute humidity at this point is around 10g/kg. So with our approximation, it would under these conditions produce around 5 ounces per hour.

Note that this is a best-case approximation. In all likelihood when it's colder, the condensation is going to be less efficient and the panel will produce less juice for the peltier device. At lower temperatures it's going to be virtually useless.
>>
>>675021

So basically it's a Summer only device?
>>
>>675022
Where I'm from, it's not even a summer device, but yeah.
>>
I don't think it's meant to be your complete water system. Seems like its meant to be your bladder which tops itself up.
>>
based on my experiences with dehumidifiers, in 10c/50% humidity it would ice up the condenser and then stop working for hours because it has no defrost mechanism.
>>
>>675059

That's a relatively easy fix. It's just a peltier junction. To defrost you could just reverse the current for a few minutes.
>>
This Australian is very interested. Please provide name anon.
>>
>>675749

Fontus.
>>
>>675749

Where are you in Straya that it's humid enough to use this?
>>
File: 81j+wbSFqaS.png (346KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
81j+wbSFqaS.png
346KB, 640x480px
>>674999
>What sort of performance is realistic under more moderate conditions? Could this be worth the weight or is it more meme gear like the biolite?

Its a meme /scam
its just far far far to energy inefficient.

compare it to pic related.

This thing is a lot bigger (like half a washing machine)
This thing only Produces ~24L/ a day or 1L /hr of water.
This thing consumes 500 Watts per hour to do so.
This things uses a far superior cooling cycle system.
[Peltiers are like 10 time less efficient compared this liquid based using stuff like R134a]
This thing is bigger and thus has scaling advantages.

so lets calculate.
solar means 12hr of use on a day with perfect sunlight = 12L
make it 10 times smaller to compare it to the bottle system = 1.2L per 12 hours.
therfore 1/10 equal to 50Watts per hour instead of 500W

This leads us to the summary that this system wold produce 100ml water per hour for 50 Watts.

so to get 500 ml water in 10 hour you would need a bit less then 25 Watts for the entire time. looking at amazon this would be a solar panel of 50 cm x 38 cm or 20 x 15 inches big.

BUT this system is 10!!!! fucking times more efficient in heat exchange and condensation then the Peltiers systems used in the bottle. Which once their heat sink gets warm will lose even more efficiency!
So its actually of 10 these solar panel because of the Peltiers inefficiency

Also this is under the products best conditions 40°c and upwards of 90% humidity... sooo like in the fucking rain Forrest

TL:dr i am very very skeptical of the claims, compared to current technology it doesn't add up in the physic department
>>
>>674999
>Ideal conditions being 86-104 degrees F, 80-90% humidity.

So basically 75% of the year in Georgia.
>>
>>675773

Yeah but then you're in Georgia.
>>
>>675753

Not the same anon, but central queensland is pretty fkn humid all day erry day.
>>
>>675753
All the people live in the wet areas.
>>
>>675753
Sydney.

It's very humid here.
>>
>>675021
Would be pretty cool if they took a tip from Dune and made one or two man tent that collected it while you were sleeping.
>>
>>674999
>I won't name it
>puts product name in file name
You can take your stealth marketing and shove it up your ass, cunt.
>>
>>675773
exactly what i was thinking
>>
File: The Hydranus.png (31KB, 1279x833px) Image search: [Google]
The Hydranus.png
31KB, 1279x833px
>>674999
>not using the Hydranus
>>
>>675770
I'm glad someone said it.
The moment I read how much they claimed to produce my heart sank a little.
>>
>>678484
Well yeah but what refills your hydranus?
>>
>>678561
Transpiration, the hydranus is essentially the precursor to a stillsuit. But you can pour filtered water into it.
>>
>>675003
I think you mean, "novelty," or, "gimmick," gear.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.