[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Knots and Cordage

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

File: Savoy_knot.png (1MB, 1896x636px) Image search: [Google]
Savoy_knot.png
1MB, 1896x636px
How about a thread for knots and rope work?
>>
So Ray sets up this ridgeline with a siberian hitch.

https://youtu.be/YG_-N4NiSlo

So on this side you've got the knot against the tree and slack out into the line.
What's going on on the other tree? You do the same siberian hitch but pull away from that tree to make it taut? Or do you do another knot there?

If you pull the siberian hitch away from the tree to make it taut: is there some further knot to keep the hitch on that point in the ridgeline? Otherwise it'll sag to shit under the weight of the tarp, right?
>>
>>674944
The only knots I find myself using are
>bowline
>slipknot
>square knot
>larks head
>stopper knot
I would like to know more but I can't think of a situation where I would need a different knot then the ones above. I would be happy for any information on knots and uses that I haven't considered.
>>
>>674972
Chinese good luck knot to get those mad luck gains.
>>
>>674972
learn prusiks, great for rigging tarps over hammocks
>>
>>674972
Clove hitch is a great knot that does very little damage to a rope.
>>
>>674944
Just wish I could do the trucklers hitch
Its the greatest knot of all
so flexible and strong...
>>
>>676141
is this you?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUHgGK-tImY
>>
>>676154
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUHgGK-tImY

>14m views
Why
>>
>>674965
>is there some further knot to keep the hitch on that point in the ridgeline?
taut line hitch
>>
>>674972
The icicle clench can be handy. It's good for lots of things, including earning money betting you can tie a knot on a screwdriver shaft that'll hold you up without slipping off.
>>
File: 1286779910034.jpg (774KB, 787x964px) Image search: [Google]
1286779910034.jpg
774KB, 787x964px
info graph
>>
>>676160
Well, my days of taking the internet seriously are definitely coming to a middle.
Or not.

So, is it "Bow-Line" or "Bowlin"?
...the rabbit goes around the tree...and down in the hole...
>>
>>676777
If you're in the US colloquially we pronounce if bow-lin
>>
>>676831
with a 7-10 split no-knock league rules?
so confused.
maybe I shouldn't be allowed access to fire, or knoives, or rope; for that matter...
>>
>>676220
>icicle clench can be handy
Chances are slim that I'll ever need to use this knot but goddamn it's cool.
>>
Only knots I use for /out/ activities (including rock climbing and traversing) are
>double bowline
>rethreaded figure of 8
>figure of 8 on the bight
>Italian hitch
>clove hitch
>timber hitch
>stopper knots.
I've been out with guys who use alpine butterflies to deal with their safety line and reseves but could do the same thing with an overhand.
>>
>>676777
Its spelt bow line, but pronounced bowlin or boelyn. UK and US because of old English sailors.
>>
File: ditch-your-stakes-3.jpg (51KB, 600x385px) Image search: [Google]
ditch-your-stakes-3.jpg
51KB, 600x385px
Mike Clelland! the best 1/?
>>
File: ditch-your-stakes-4.jpg (62KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
ditch-your-stakes-4.jpg
62KB, 600x600px
>>677731
2/?
>>
File: ditch-your-stakes-5.jpg (45KB, 400x556px) Image search: [Google]
ditch-your-stakes-5.jpg
45KB, 400x556px
>>677731
3/?
>>
>>677731
Where I'm from we call that a safety knot. Use it to tie up livestock.
>>
>>674965
You should just go with the truckers hitch
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.