[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fishing & Tackle Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 321
Thread images: 91

File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Well, we made it to #4.
>"I catch more fish with my 40 year old Ugly Stik than all of you combined!" Edition
aka Softbalt edition

Previous thread is at:
>>670709

I'm half asleep, but we need a current fishin' thread so here it is.
>>
>>674886
>"I catch more fish with my 40 year old Ugly Stik than all of you combined!" Edition

I would pay to fish with this man
>>
File: r8m8.png (51KB, 1541x341px) Image search: [Google]
r8m8.png
51KB, 1541x341px
R8 my rod build again!
Who here has experience with micro guides on casting rods? Are they worth it?
>>
On hour number five of a Boat-Ed's "about 3 hours" online boater safety course. There was a thirty minute break in there somewhere but this is definitely going on longer than expected. So tired the "Save & Logout" link is looking pretty tempting, but I can't take the exam until the course is completed. Then I fork over the thirty bones to get my certificate which thankfully is good for life.

Anyway, anybody here fish with medium-to-large swimbaits? I could use some advice on rod/reel/line combos. I'm not quite sure I'm ready to start shelling out the kind of money swimbaits can cost but I spent late into last night watching YouTube vids (mostly KeepinItReelFishing) and it's making it tempting.

>>674912
Two of my Abu Veritas rods have the micro-guides. If I remember right my Wright & McGill/Skeet Reese spinnerbait rod does as well. I think they look at lot sleeker, keep the line tighter to the rod along it's length, and they seem to distribute the load along the rod really well.
>>
>>674946
Hmm, so micro guides it is!
A lot of guys here on the west coast fish big swimbaits for calico bass. Okuma has recently updated their guide select series. If you like round reels a calcutta, luna, pluton, or ryoga wold work. As for low profiles, a curado 300, lexa 300, or tatula 200 would work great.
As for "budget" swimbaits, you can throw 4-7" big hammers on 1-2 oz jigheads.
>>
>>674950
"Budget" would definitely the describe the bulk of my swimbaits if I get into this. I think the most I could see myself spending would be around the $40 that the Jackall Gantarel costs, and purchases of lures at that price-point would be very infrequent. I'd probably cry if I lost one. It'd be like throwing one of my spinning reels in the drink.
>>
Yall r some fags
>>
>>674961
Are you a hard baits or a soft baits kinda guy? Because soft swimbaits are hella more cheap.
>>
File: IMG_3371.jpg (3MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3371.jpg
3MB, 4608x3456px
*FISHING*

Please help, the handle came off my reel and I have no idea how to get it back on, have I lost a piece?

There's a 90 degree angled pin inside the handle, that fits into the hole in the rod that connects either side of the handle to the reel.

When the pin goes in the hole, its off center so the notches/holes on the plastic of the handle dont line up..

Ugly Stik Black pearl + Shakespeare reel
>>
>>674995
I think that's broken mang. That little pin that goes in the hole and allows the handle to pivot and fold down for storage, that isn't supposed to come out. You may be able to rig it if you have a small nail that will fit in there and cut it down to length. Otherwise see if the manufacturer has replacement parts. I know Abu Garcia will sell you any part from any reel they have made within recent history.

>>674912
I have micro guides on that Johnny Morris rod. Not bad. I don't notice a huge difference but with them being small it seems easier not to bend or break them.

>>674946
Is that Skeet Reese combo a spinning reel? It seems odd to put micro guides on those. Casting reels makes much more sense.

On Black Friday I almost bought one of those Skeet Reese combos for my lil bro, they were only $50 off of $100. And the rods were BOGO. But then I looked up the reviews as I was standing in the checkout line with the combo and everybody said the reel was shitty but the rods were great. After looking at the reel for a few more seconds, I realized the reviews were right and put it back. I probably would've bought the BOGO rods but I didn't need 2 rods.

>>674963
Wanna hang out?
>>
>>674946

Look up some videos by Paul "big baits" Bailey. Dude slays hogs on giant Huddleston swimbaits.
>>
>>674995

Shakespeare reel? Just buy something new. Anything you're able to afford will likely be better anyway haha.
>>
>>675156
+1

>>674995
Spend the $30 on a Shimano Sienna or Abu Cardinal reel. It will be worth it.
>>
File: 20150719_164754.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20150719_164754.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
Row row row your boat...
>>
>>675275
Decent.

I keep thinking about a little aluminum boat with a small outboard so I can cruise around some of those canals and Everglades areas. But I don't think I would do it unless I won the lotto.

I guess it's different now that I live in FL, but I owned a couple jet skis when I was up north, and it was such a waste of money. Between insurance, maintenance, storage, and fuel to run them, it wasn't worth it when I took them out 2-3 weekends a summer. They were fun as hell, but I told myself I wouldn't buy another watercraft unless I lived on the water and had a dock in my backyard.
>>
Idk if this counts as fishing but I'm going crabbing for the first time, /out/. I'm excited. I have a trap and chicken necks, what else should I bring? How do I do it? Any tutorials? Should I leave the heads out in the sun to make them extra stinky?
>>
>>675290
You going out on a boat or you just do them from shore?

Where abouts?

Sounds fun. Good luck.
>>
>>675294
From shore. I have no idea what I'm.doing though lol.

Bullfrog Creek on 41 in Tampa. South FL.
>>
File: 20151024_182131.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20151024_182131.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
>>675287
Sell that shitty scooter and the Exploder, buy a Civic and the boar

>>675297
Use parts of fish tied to lengths of string and sink them around rocks and other places the crabs may be. Let them pinch on and then pull them up
>>
>>675304
Boat, not a boar... or a boar, follow your hearts desires
>>
>>675304
I already have the bait and a trap. Should I leave and come back or should I wait for the crabs to come? It takes awhile dunnit?
>>
>>675308
They typically come running very quickly. If none show up within a minute of baiting then move to another rock or similar
>>
>>675311
Thanks anon. What time is typical feeding time for em?
>>
>>675316
Low tide for the area I've been at as thats when the area was accessible... it pretty much depends on where you are
>>
>>675327
Fucking tripfags. Go away.
>>
>>675328
Forgot to remove it.

Maybe we can amass our faggotry and summon heartbreaker
>>
>>675331
I just don't care enough to delete it and type it in every time I feel it is necessary. So I just leave it on.

Even if I'm shitposting or talking nonsense. Who cares if a bunch of neckbeards hate my name.

Some of these new Captchas are annoying as hell btw. Select all rivers. I can't tell if that's a river or a like from that tiny pic!
>>
File: 20150915_192634.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20150915_192634.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
>>675287

Get a yak!
>>
>>675348
I was seriously thinking about it. My main issue is that the places I want to take the boat, there are alligators as large as the kayak.

I would be more comfortable taking the kayak in the ocean than in the canals and swamps.
>>
File: ohmeow~.jpg (123KB, 468x344px) Image search: [Google]
ohmeow~.jpg
123KB, 468x344px
>when you catch two bass on a single pencil popper
>>
>>674995
So I'm looking at my Abu Cardinal and the pin has a flat, round head on one side and on the other side is a shallow flair (looks like the back-end of a very shallow pellet-rifle pellet). I'm not certain but it almost seems rivet-like in design. If you can drive that pin out, line everything back up, and put the pin back in, then you could probably brace one side of the pin and then take a small hammer and a punch to the other side to flatten/flair it a bit so it doesn't back out.

>>675105
>Is that Skeet Reese combo a spinning reel?
Negative, it's a casting rod where the rods design (power, action and such) is marketed toward traditional wire-form spinnerbaits or worms. A lot of companies lately have put out lure-purposed rods ("Frog Rod", "Football Jig Rod", etc). In the case of the Skeet Reese Spinnerbait/Worm rod I like it a bit more for the former than the latter.
>>
>>675367
That's what I was kinda suggesting with that reel. I'm sure it's riveted in there. If anon could find a small trim nail or thick wire and somehow flatten the ends, he might be able to make it work.
>>
>>675350
carry a 12 gauge single shot sawdoff
>>
Co polymer or straight mono for general purpose stuff?
>>
>>675458
i use strait mono, have tried the opolymer shit and it holds memory like a motherfucker
>>
Any australians here?
>>
>>675458
BRAID
R
A
I
D

with a flouro leader

It just makes life easier.
>>
>>675778
Is braid really worth it? It seems like a pain to have to tie a leader on every single time.
>>
>>675917
Idk. I really prefer it for a number if reasons. And you don't always need a leader. A flouro leader isn't a bad idea in really clear water though.

I think the majority of people who talk shit about braid have never really used it. Flouro is better for a couple situations, but I like braid for all-around fishing.

I even have this flouro-braid on one rod so the lures sink deeper like with regular flourocarbon line.
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
Update on Snek:

2 days later. He did not make it back to the lake.
>>
>>675953
SNEK BTFO
>>
>>675953
Why do all the good sneks die so young? Why must we pressure them to change? Do we really need curtain airbags? Have we not come far enough as a society where we can accept that we are different?
>>
>>675966
Ban any fishing rod with a pistol grip/trigger, no micro guides, no high capacity spools, no rods under 7'. The bodies of water will be safe.
>>
File: mini_lure_box_m[1].png (189KB, 500x316px) Image search: [Google]
mini_lure_box_m[1].png
189KB, 500x316px
>>675970
This is a high-capacity lure box able to fit 50 lures at once, freely purchaseable online and in stores all over the world without any permit or restrictions. With a box like this a potential fisherman can continually fish for hours on end without having to take a trip back to his lodge. There is absolutely no reason why a sane, law-abiding fisherman would need one of these, and all they do is present a large danger to the fish we hold dearest.

#AllFishMatters
>>
>>675953
>not eating it
it isn't a carp mate, you can actually eat snakeheads
>>
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
Pic related was the "before" if anybody missed it from the first thread.

>>675966
There are no good sneks

>>675979
I don't eat anything I catch, I always just let them go. Except for snakehead of course.
>>
File: image.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
Also here's a couple pics from the rainy session this afternoon. Nothing too great. A bunch of bluegill biting lures that are way too big. Caught a couple.

Pic related was interesting. Has a little bit of pumpkinseed in him. The bluegill I get here rarely have any orange in them. They are always pale silver with a few vertical black lines.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>675990
God dammit, the focus on the iPhone camera is retarded. Instead of focusing on the big object, close to the lens, in the middle of the frame, it focuses on the grass in the background.

Anyway, you can see the orange belly and around its gills, it has some of those orange spots. Definitely has some sunfish genes in there.

And pic related is the smallest largemouth bass ever. What a qt3.14.
>>
Is pepsifag a furry?
>>
>>675975
This right here should also be banned. It is an 80% rod. In just a few short hours, this can become a fully functional, unregistered, assault rod that is undetectable. It can launch a 1 oz lure 30 feet in HALF a second. It is called a "ghost" rod. This has no purpose in a modern society in 2016.
#RodsDemandAction
>>
File: Rod blank.jpg (40KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
Rod blank.jpg
40KB, 960x720px
>>676018
forgot pic
>>
>>676017
Unfortunately, no.

One time back in the day I delivered some pizzas to Midwest Furfest. It was hilarious and disturbing at the same time. Especially since I was all stoned.
>>
>>676021
>One time back in the day I delivered some pizzas to Midwest Furfest.

We're gonna need a story.
>>
What's the biggest fishing meme you've fallen for?

I bought a shimano waxwing lure that cost $17 and it couldn't catch shit.
>>
>>676027
That's about it. I delivered pizzas for a small family-owned pizza place. Midwest FurFest was having their big convention at a Hyatt or whatever by O'Hare. I guess all the pizza places in the area had a real long wait time because furries love pizza, so they called us. The boss was like "we normally don't go that far" but they paid a delivery fee and tipped decent. I offered to run it over there since I could smoke a bowl and a couple cigs on the 20min+ drive.

I had no idea the convention was going on until I got there. Main thing I noticed was that everybody who wasn't in their furfag costume was a fat juggalo wearing all black with lots of chains and shit. I was just trying not to laugh too much while taking pics with my phone. They had some weird shit tho, like I remember some little pen where they had puppies and shit and the furries were playing with the puppies, creeped me out.

>>676028
Other than typical name-brand stuff, I haven't bought everything too crazy. I have been looking at those LiveTarget lures, I still want to grab one or two of those Bait Balls. Seems like a good idea for a lure. But they are overpriced at $15. I actually own one LiveTarget rubber frog, but is was only like $10, which was about the same as most of the other frog lures.

Bass Pro has some crank baits with batteries in them. I think they make noise. They are on the end of an aisle with a big display and tv screen. Can't remember the name, but I think they are around $20. I glanced at them, but I don't think I could ever buy a lure with batteries in it.
>>
I have like 10 lures that I've never caught a thing on them, mostly crankbaits.
>>
File: image.jpg (52KB, 600x375px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
52KB, 600x375px
>>676056
I feel the same way with traditional spinnerbaits.

Even when I'm at lakes where I know there are big bass, they don't seem to go for them. So I toss on a Mepps 3 or 4 and get something the first cast.

I don't understand why Bass Pro has a whole aisle for regular spinnerbaits, and there is one little section for in-line spinners.
>>
>>676056
Actually, make that 9. I just caught a bluegill with my crankin' rap.
>>
>>676106
Pics of the Rapala? I have so many, I don't even know which ones are floating or husky jerks or what.
>>
File: bluegill.jpg (349KB, 800x509px) Image search: [Google]
bluegill.jpg
349KB, 800x509px
>>676120

http://www.basspro.com/Rapala-Crankin-Rap-Crankbaits/product/10215487/
>>
>>676120
Are you going fishing tonight, fahm?
>>
Local lake stocking trout tomorrow, gonna hit it on Saturday. Reports have most trout hitting on powerbait chartreuse and orange, with an equal amount of power worms and blown up night crawlers.

I'm going to fish with what's known around my parts as a Cuyamaca Cocktail; a blown up night crawler on a treble hook with some powerbait in there too, dipped in a homemade mixture of chopped up garlic in extra virgin olive oil. This mixture usually kills it, but I don't want to come out of the day skunked.

Give me your trout fishing secrets.
>>
File: 20160124_175157_HDR~2.jpg (2MB, 2831x3175px) Image search: [Google]
20160124_175157_HDR~2.jpg
2MB, 2831x3175px
I went ice fishing for the first time last weekend. Anyone got tips for finding schools? Especially if you are familiar with the lake during warm seasons?
>>
File: IMG_20160124_162330267.jpg (397KB, 1368x2430px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160124_162330267.jpg
397KB, 1368x2430px
>>676137
I also saw a bald eagle fly right over me
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>676135
I went earlier this afternoon. Got a few bluegill and that itty bitty largemouth. I'm actually at Dick's right now. About to get some food on the way home and pass out.

I keep looking at those LiveTarget Bait Balls. Dick's has a bunch of them on clearance for like $10 instead of $16. I just can't figure out if the gimmick is really worth the $5 extra over the Rapala X-Raps I have been buying.

I also had this Kershaw folder in my hand for awhile. Called the Thistle, and it was on clearance for $15 off of $40. But I don't need it at all. It was pretty big too, and the Leek was a couple rows over from it. I think if there is a Kershaw folder to get, it's the Leek.

$3 packages of Gulp on clearance ain't too bad. Price tag said $4.50, so I was stoked when they rang up even less than that. I have been having good luck with the little Gulp fish and grubs lately with these spinner jig heads.
>>
>>676167
Hmmm, I have to drive by a Dick's tomorrow or Saturday.
>>
>>676173
Gander Mountain had a ton of stuff on sale too. Both stores are doing a big winter reset of their fishing selection. Dick's was real good a few weeks ago. And Gander Mountain had 3 or 4 endcaps that had giant baskets full of clearance stuff. I bought a bunch of Mepps for $2-$4, and a few Strike King crank baits and rattle baits for $2.

Thank god tomorrow is Friday.
>>
>>676167
I think it was close to X-Mas 2014 when those LiveTarget Yearling Bait Ball lures came out. I only remember because Bassmaster ran their list of suggested X-mas gifts and those were included (along with the Jackall Pompadour that I'm still trying to talk myself into buying).

I'm not sure those Yearling lures are worth the regular price. At a glance I'd imagine that the process of creating them is more involved than your typical lure but I'd probably only pick up a couple if I saw them at decent sale price. The truth is you could probably throw a neon pink crankbait with electric blue polkadots and a chartreuse bill and you'd still catch fish. Predatory fish are known to hit lures that are just completely unnatural to their given environment (or any earthly environment for that matter). Stripers will smash what are essentially just neon tubes and brightly coloured, splashing sticks with hooks on them. Not to suggest there isn't any validity to the phrase "match the hatch" or that lures which mimic schooling fish might not be more productive, but lures are designed to catch just as many fisherman as they do fish. It's a business after all, and at some point the the consumer has to decide to if the price matches what they perceive as value.

I'm guilty of buying lures because they appeal more to me than they might the fish. Or because some extra little level of detail makes a difference in my own mind for whatever silly reason. If I buy one of those Pompadour lures I'd be guilty again, knowing I could spend far less on a Heddon Crazy Crawler for nearly the same action. I could probably drill it, pop in a rattle and fashion a prop onto the rear hook and still be spending less. But to hell with what the fish wants, *I* want that pretty paintjob and sleeker shape.

tl;dr - it's more a judgement call with the main consideration being how much *you* like the look of it, because the fish probably won't care if you throw a cheaper facsimile.
>>
>>676137
>>676139
target stricture, weed edges are best, invest in a second rod so you can always have bait in the water, use one rod then whi unhooking the fish drop the other one down, that way, if you get into a school they will stay there
>>
File: 34556280532609358.jpg (134KB, 1080x608px) Image search: [Google]
34556280532609358.jpg
134KB, 1080x608px
Finally got the family ice hut up this week. Great past time on weekends with the family.

Laying into lots of perch so far, hopefully the walleye and pike move in to make it more interesting
>>
File: 34954535445422255.jpg (103KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
34954535445422255.jpg
103KB, 960x540px
>>676209

My nephews just love it. They'll stay out there for 8+ hours not one complaint
>>
File: 23459254834958934532.jpg (45KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
23459254834958934532.jpg
45KB, 960x540px
>>676210

Make shift tip ups we use. See wire with duct tape used as flag attached right to line as trigger. Piece of steel holds excess line. Get to put out two hols per person including kids so sometimes we have 16 holes going. Fucking insane when a big school of perch come through.
>>
File: 509825954293852398.jpg (68KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
509825954293852398.jpg
68KB, 960x960px
>>676212

First days bounty
>>
File: 657463212544154141.jpg (74KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
657463212544154141.jpg
74KB, 720x960px
>>676214

todays catch
>>
>>676137

Move around a lot of things aren't hot just like when its warmer
>>
>>676197
Thanks for the intel
>>
File: 20160129_093638~2.jpg (2MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160129_093638~2.jpg
2MB, 5312x2988px
My small ultralight kit for keeping in car or taking backpacking. Anyone got suggestions to add/subtract? If it can fit in fanny pack itl work.
>>
File: 20160129_093644~2.jpg (2MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160129_093644~2.jpg
2MB, 5312x2988px
>>676458
Up close view of fly side. Also got a few jigs here.
>>
File: 20160129_093523~2.jpg (2MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160129_093523~2.jpg
2MB, 5312x2988px
>>676459
And the side with terminal stuff, some plastics, kastmasters and panther martins.
>>
>>676455
yep, only got out 2 times this year and ice isnt going to last at 60 degrees and rainhy , i guess il get a jump on trout season
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>676458 #
>>676459 #
>>676460 #
What do you normally fish for with that? I'm assuming trout or something with all the little flies, right? Or just whatever is biting?

I guess main thing I would add would be a small pack of some Gulp or Power Bait grubs or minnows. Pic related are some tiny guys. I think the minnows are 1" and grubs are 1.5". I pop those on a little jig head, maybe with a beetle spin, and blugill, crappie, even bass will go crazy for them. And you don't have to get that big jar, they sell small packs of a dozen or so. Going slightly larger to a 2" grub or minnow would still be good for most panfish as well, and you will get more interest from bass.

Also possibly one larger Rapala. If there are largemouth around, they can be hard to hook with those small Rapalas. But that all depends on where you are fishing.
>>
File: pepetrumpp.jpg (148KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
pepetrumpp.jpg
148KB, 1024x1024px
>>676596
>>676593
I saw what you did there.
>>
>>676599
I thought he had a whole spool of extra line in there. Upon further investigation, I was wrong, so I deleted the part saying "you will be fine if you get a birds nest, you don't need another spool of line."
>>
Has anyone used the rapala x-rap? I heard it was good for snook and bluefish so I got one in white ghost.
>>
>>676620
Yeah the extra line is 50 yards of 3lb fly tippet i use for leaders when rigging flies to my spinning setup. Because i have 4lb braided on spool. And thanks for the suggestion, ill probly pick up some of those soft gulp minniows just maybe in the bags instead of jar. And yeah the fly kit is for trout also panfish as well as the other pieces.
>>
File: sprayed_with_wd40.png (136KB, 924x826px) Image search: [Google]
sprayed_with_wd40.png
136KB, 924x826px
>>676596
what is that, lures soaked in some sort of scent/attractant?
>>
>>676690
We have a bunch of those on clearance at the sporting goods store i work at because not many people buy them around here. So idk what that means, i keep meaning to try one though
>>
>>676741
Forgot to mention "around here" is lots of kettle lakes and bass as primary fish, some pike too in our larger inland lakes.
>>
>>676137
>Panfish tend to school above the deepest holes
>Walleyes are usually like to gather near drops, ledges or rocks.
>Bass/Pike can usually be found cruising flats in 5 to 15 foot of water during daylight hours.
>Once saw a bald eagle steal a trophy walleye from some poor sap who left it on the ice because he had another hit on his tip up.
>>
>>676737
Yes, if I'm not mistaken. I only bought one of plastic-bagged packets rather than a jar/tub of the stuff. Some small FireTiger coloured ones to use with Beetle Spins. The one issue I ran into was bluegills had no problem snatching the tails off of them where regular soft plastics would've stretched and popped free from their mouths before breaking. They're much more soft but I think that's a result of their being readily biodegradable and more environmentally sound versus traditional soft plastics. Another trade-off is that they're prone to drying out. Berkley actually sells a larger plastic container and the scent/liquid so you can store them in bulk without worrying about dehydration, but I don't use them enough to justify it. It isn't often I lose soft plastics and when mine become too worn out to stay on a hook or jighead I don't toss them overboard which was habit for many folks years ago. Typically they end up in a trash bin which at least leads them to a designated landfill. Some parks now have recycling bins for disposing of soft plastics although they're not quite as common as the line-recycling bins yet. Line recycling has actually been catching on pretty quick which is great.
>>
>>674886
Anyone make their own spinners? they look pretty simple to me.. but I haven't been able to source the spoons or the tubes. I've been recycling the shit out of ones I bend/break if I can. but I'd like to make more.. you know to give me something to do while fishing for water.
>>
>>676690
I like those X-Raps a lot. I have them in a few colors for freshwater and there is this bronze and orange one that I have caught a ton of fish on.

>>676737
Yes, basically Power Bait with a little more scent in it. The bags they sell don't have nearly as much liquid in them, but the baits are saturated with the stuff almost like a sponge.

>>676741
>>676742
Poorfags need to buck up and spend the $11. Those are good lures.
>>
>>676794
Bass Pro sells all the different blades and stuff. Prolly the skirts too. Idk about making them myself since there are so many options already. I might be down to make my own Mepps tho if they sold me the stuff for a decent price.

>>676771
The tails do get ripped off easier than Power Baits and other plastics. But I tend to change out the Gulp lures after about 5-10min anyway since I always get the best bites on the first couple casts.

>>676804
>tfw gay-ass /v/ ban gets lifted
I post from my cell phone, and somebody in my neighborhood likes to shitpost on /v/ and get banned all the time so I have to appeal them. Annoying as hell.
>>
>>676809
Strange that happened to me earlier for supposedly posting on /lgbt/. Had to appeal earlier while trying to post in this thread.
>>
>>676771
We have line recycling things at the state park i work at and they fill up with just about everything but fishing line lol. I wish people would use these type of things but around here if theres not a trash can within arms reach it ends up on ground. Sorry for rant.
>>
6am... About time to head to the lake
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>676985
Nothin like sunrise at the lake.

Only problem is I gotta take a shit now after this coffee.
>>
>>676997
Did you catch anything?
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>677013
Smaller largemouth was on the line for a bit but jumped off the hook like 2' from shore. I'm thinking about goung down the street to another pond since my main spot here faces east and I'm getting blinded by the sun.

I found a new lure tho. Finally, this lake that has eaten a ton of my favorite Mepps is giving something back.
>>
>>677013
Wtf, just got another largemouth, snapped 2 pics, and it isn't in my photo library.

Retarded iPhone.
>>
>>677015
That's a nice frog, it doesn't look cheap.
>>
>>677018
Yeah it looks like one of those Booyah ones, they are normally $8-$9. I would rather have my $30 worth of Mepps back.

There were a few I lost that I couldn't even find online thru Bass Pro. I might have to try and order them from the Mepps website. A #3 Agila with the brown skirt and bright yellow blade and a #3 Black Fury with the yellow dots and yellow and brown skirt. Those were 2 of my favorites.
>>
I was gonna go pier fishing but I called and nobody is catching anything. I might just go in the afternoon.
>>
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
Good ol' Gulp minnows. I wish these ones has the curly tail though. They seemed to work well in real clear water, a place where I don't have much luck with spinners unless it is darker. Daylight with the clear water, they will only bite realistic looking baits.
>>
>>676187
No Gander Mtn even remotely close to me.

MTB has the trout box back in stock so somewhere around 2/15 I should have that and the Lucky Tackle Inshore. Will post pics when they arrive.
>>
Has anyone here ever fished a diamond jig before?
>>
>>677015
stop chewing your nails ffs
>>
>>677240
Maybe when I quit smoking
>>
This thread is dead as fuck. I bet I could spam the nastiest porn imaginable and nobody would respond.
>>
>>677364
Pls straight only. I'm about to go back out now. Gotta stop somewhere for stink bait and I'm good.
>>
>>677365
WD40
D
>>
>>677367
What's the trick with that?

I went to Bass Pro and wanted to get the sticky bait in the jars, but all they had were the dough balls.
>>
>>677405
I don't know if its legit or a meme, but you just spray your bait.
>>
File: image.jpg (251KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
251KB, 640x1136px
>>677408
Hmm... Maybe I will look into that. Seems like it would just run off into the water right away. Plus I'm not sure I want to add anymore petroleum products to these lakes.

Also these stink baits, why the hell don't they sell them in a ziploc bag like rubber baits? That's another reason I like the shit in the jars. I don't have to touch it, I just jam a stick in the end of the tube and swirl it around in the jar. But this dough, I have to use both hands and play with it until it stays on the hook. Plus my car is going to smell like death on the 40min drive home.

Also, this lake is deep as hell. It's only like 1'-2' deep for the first few feet, and then drops off into the abyss. The bait took awhile to hit the bottom.
>>
I'm giving up on lures in the dark. Unless it's floating lures or I'm positive there are no snags.

Fuckin thick ass electrical cable or something snags a Mepps. It's so close, I can reach it with the tip of the rod. End up kicking off my boots, rolling up my pants, and going in. Of course with the mud and everything, I'm in 2' of water and my jeans are soaked. Grab a pair of pliers because I'm not trying to get electricuted. Try to pull the hook out, but it's jammed in there. So I pull on it and drag this thick ass cable to the shore. This Mepps is stuck in there so well that it ends up breaking off part of the treble hook,

And now I'm soaked and like 45min from home and have no damn desire to cast more lures while I wait for catfish.

Maybe I'll just go home, go to bed, and try to go out early tomorrow.
>>
>>677426
good job, thats why i loe kyaking, even if i do get snagged if its within ft from the surface i an get it
>>
>>677426
>walking out into shallow water without protective footwear in the dark

Its like you fucking want tetnis and shards of glass in your feet
>>
>>677432
I survived. I was going to leave the boots on, but I figured if I could keep my pants dry, I could put my boots back on and keep fishing. Didn't quite work out.
>>
complete fishing virgin here

what's the best way to spool my spinning reel?

and what's the best way to store the spooled rod/reel?
>>
>>677449
To spool, I normally pass the line through at least the first guide on the rod, open the bail, tie the line around the spool, close the bail, and start reeling while keeping some pressure on the line so it spools tight. When you have around 1/8" left on the spool, it is full.

As far as storage, keep it somewhere that it won't get broken. And UV light isn't good for monofilament line, so don't leave it in direct sunlight or the line can get brittle.

Also, change your line every season if you use regular mono.
>>
>>677453

once I spool the reel, what do I do with the loose end of the line?

stupid question but I honestly don't know
>>
>>677454
The line from the reel or the big spool from the store?

From the reel, either tie a hook or swivel on and hook it on a guide like normal. Or if you don't want to do that, lots of reels will have a little plastic triangular clip on the spool, wrap the loose end around that a couple times and it will hold it in place.

If you are taliking about the feeder spool from the store, if you didn't use the whe thing, use a small piece of tape to hold the loose end down. Or a rubber band. I guess a rubber band could work for the reel as well.
>>
File: 1454203970616-798721633.jpg (3MB, 2976x2976px) Image search: [Google]
1454203970616-798721633.jpg
3MB, 2976x2976px
>>677453
Hey pepsifag im about to buy these on clearance for my ultralight kit but i need to know before do the colors leak? If i combine a few colors and juice into one bag? I my regular softplasitcs sometimes leech colors together if im not careful with my tackle boxes
>>
>>674961
$40 is nothing lol
>>
>>677463
No, I have never had a problem with it. The plastic is colored, I think the juice is the same for all of them.

I have those same little silver and white guys in a jar. Bought some extra small jig heads for em.
>>
>>677463

You can mix gulp no problem.

>>677454

Youtube, specifically flukemaster has a great video on spooling spinning reels. If you do it wrong, you will get line twist, birds nest, and wind knots like crazy. Took me a few tries to get it right myself...

>>677426

Pliers aint gonna save you from getting electrocuted lol. Rip in peace mepps.

>>677415

Wd40 is a meme. "Supposedly" it is made with fish oil as a lubricant, which would in theory attract fish. Neither are true, you can call wd40 and they will happily explain lol.

>>677180

Absolutely. Any questions? Match the weight to the water conditions. I like a plastic trailer on mine, though they work without.
>>
Sometimes I have daydreams about collecting fishing tackle and there will be an apocalypse, the ice caps will melt, sea levels rise, people will start using fishing tackle as currency, and the entire world will be totally fishing culture based.

I suppose it is similar to my daydreams of running a county-wide lawn mower service every time I mow the lawn.
>>
>>677476
It's a full tank of gas and the change could probably fill my 20 L jerry can too. If you just mean "nothing in terms of swimbaits" I'm already aware. Doesn't mean that I'm gonna start off swimbait fishing with $200+ low-production, hand-crafted lures. I think Huddleston is probably my going to be my starting point for swimbaits larger than what is offered by companies like Rapala's Storm brand.

I did pick out my frog rod today. Ended up going with an Abu "Ike" signature series "Frog/Toad" rod. It's only a Medium-Heavy but has a nice, semi-soft tip to it and the zirconium guide-inserts tell me I should be able to spool braid without worrying about guide-wear. I didn't want a broomstick but a close-second would've been the Heavy "Mat Punching/Carolina Rig" rod which was about 8" taller but mighty stiff in comparison. Now I'm just trying to figure out what sort of reel to use. I've heard the Lew's Super Duty is good for braid but that was from a sponsored tourney fisher on Wired2Fish's YouTube channel so I took that advice with a grain of salt. The only Lew's reel I've ever used is my pop's decade(s?) old BB1NG and I think that thing is pre Browning/Zebco/Quantum. I have no idea how modern-production Lew's reels hold up.
>>
>>677638
So Lew's is part of Browning, Zebco, and Quantum? I didn't know that.

Speaking of Browing, is the stuff any good? They sell lots of mid-range stuff which I kinda like. Reels for $75-$100 and rods for slightly cheaper. But I always end up going with a brand that I have known for longer.

I'm sure it's decent. Like the Bass Pro brand stuff, it's all made in the same factories as the other brands.
>>
>>677638

Get a high speed reel for froggin. 7:1 or 8:1. People say use 50 or 65# braid depending on how heavy the cover your fishing is. I used 20 last year and 30# this year and it feels like more than enough.
>>
>>677895
What techniques do you guys normally do for frogs and other topwater stuff?

I mostly just "walk the dog" with poppers. Give it 2-4 little pops, let it sit for a second, repeat. I tend to do the same with frogs, but don't use them a ton since I never have luck with them. And what about prop lures like the Heddon Torpedos and Rapala SkitterProp?
>>
>>677901
>topwater stuff
I love poppers but I have honestly never caught anything with one. Never caught a bass.
Trout, perch, landlocked salmon in freshwater. All on bait or spinners.
>>
So I think I get the braid love now. Strung 2 reels yesterday w/ mono, 4# and 6#
Today strung 300 yds 30# braid, not 1 kink or tangle going on. This shit seems like a dream.

Also went out scoping launch points for the 'yak. Found exactly what I was looking for on 1 of them. Salt river, state launch, no parking fee, immediately north is a bridge that limits larger boats from going in that direction.

Select all images with kayaks FTW
>>
File: spanishmackerel.jpg (572KB, 1632x1224px) Image search: [Google]
spanishmackerel.jpg
572KB, 1632x1224px
>tfw I caught a spanish mackerel today

Pretty cool little predator tbqfhfam
>>
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>678072
I never had any luck with topwater stuff until a couple months ago. Always spinners, crank baits, and rubber fish. I think pic related was on a Rapala skitter pop late in the afternoon as the sun was setting.

Best bet with the poppers is early morning or late afternoon around sunset. When the water is fairly calm and you can see the bass jumping at the top. I think good technique matters a bit with them, not like a spinner you can just do a steady retrieve on.

>>678073
Heh, we got you on the braid train now.

There are certain instances when braid isn't the best choice. But I prefer it almost all of the time. If I'm bringing one rod with me, it will be braid.
>>
File: download_20160131_170420.jpg (212KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
download_20160131_170420.jpg
212KB, 768x1024px
Took the boat out on the lake with a couple of buddies today, fishing was pretty terrible from 9am - noon, no catches and just a few nibbles. We moved around the lake a few times until we found our honey hole and landed 37 keepers from noon - 3pm.

All in all today was a pretty good day.
>>
>>678152
What were you fishing with? Bait and rigs? All channel cats?
>>
>>678166
fuck off namefag
>>
>>678170
That's Mr. Tripfag to you.
>>
>>678166
Yeah, all channel cats. We were using some CJ's catfish punch bait on treble hooks with slip sinker rigs using around 1oz weights. CJ's is the best store bought catfish bait I've ever used and has consistently outperformed other baits (Danny King's and Team Catfish punch baits to name a couple) when fishing with them side by side targeting channel cats.
>>
>>678177
For sure, I'll keep an eye out for that.

I watched that youtube vid showing how to bait the hook, and I'm suprised it stays on the treble hook so well. I would probably use one of those little foam sponge tube deals for it that I use with the other dip baits.

I also just noticed I have a jar of that dip bait in my closet that has to be like 10yrs old. I wonder if it is still good. It didn't look dried out or anything, but I didn't open it. Not trying to make my closet and bedroom smell like that.

I need to get a good catfishing session going one of these days. I'm suprised you got so many channel cats in the middle of the day. I have caught cats in the day, but I normally throw out catfish rigs at night.
>>
>>677901

Its a bit different for both. For open water top water (anything with trebles. Spooks, poppers, etc...) I cast, and let it sit until the ripples dissipate. Could be about 30 seconds or so. Then I give it a few pops and twitchs and let it sit until the ripples dissipate again. Repeat as necessary. I might "walk it" a few times back and forth if I get nothing in a certain area. Each cast takes a few minutes to retrieve, about 5 mins average.

For frogs, I try to walk it across grass and weeds like a real frog. Kinda clumsy, taking lots of slow pauses and short walks across the pads. When I do hit open water, I often walk it a bunch of times and pause, walk it pause....til I get back to the boat.

Long pauses are often key for me with topwater. It can be hard to be patient, but it's worth it. Almost every hit ive ever gotten was on a quick pop after a pause.
>>
>>678205
That's about what I have been doing. Same strategy with the poppers, I just wasn't 100% sure about the frogs when I'm running over weeds. I just tried to make it seen realistic. Pop it a couple times, drag it a foot or two, let it chill for a minute.
>>
>>678177
>>678152
I have one more question for the cats, what kind of structure or where in the lake do you target? Real deep? Inlets? I haven't done much fishing for channel cats in the past few years.

The one lake I was at last night, I couldn't really figure out where to go. It is shallow for the first ~10' from shore and then drops off real deep. So I put the bait right out past the drop off. But I got soaked and frustrated after being there for like 15min and left before I got anything.

Lots of the lakes around here have a canal or two that flow into them. I will fish for bass where the canals open up into the lake. I'm wondering if the same spot would be good for cats, or if I should go in the canal itself, or find a drop-off and go to a deeper spot.
>>
File: Invisible Privilege.gif (993KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
Invisible Privilege.gif
993KB, 540x540px
just got a 50 dollar bass pro shop gift card
what buy?
>>
>>678216
BRAID
>>
>>678229
i don't like john blow or his shitty indie games
>>
File: 001.jpg (434KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
001.jpg
434KB, 1000x750px
>>677843
The Lew's brand was licensed to Browning for a number of years. Today Lew's is a brand of W.C. Bradley whose brands also include Zebco, Quantum, Van Staal and a few others - the most familiar even to non-fishermen would probably be Thermos and Char-Broil.

>Browning...any good?
Haven't had enough experience with their fishing tackle. I think maybe it was you who told me their reels come off the same line as Pure Fishing's so the reels could be worthwhile. Penn still seems to be quite reputable and you already know I'm happy with all things Abu. I handled one of Browning's "AirStream" rods at Bass Pro and it felt amazing in hand but I couldn't talk myself into buying it because of some trouble I had with Berkley's "AMP" rods. Both rods feature stainless steel guides and inserts. Might've shown you before but pic related is what happened to my AMP in about 3 months of use with plain old minimally abrasive monofilament. I crunched the numbers and would say the absolute maximum was 216 hours (9 full days) of use. I've been wary of any non-ceramic guides ever since.

All that aside Browning does make some solid tackle bags and quality clothing at a price-point far below most competition. I'd never pay Under Armour prices for a pair of thermals when I could get essentially the same product from Browning for half the cost, just as an example.

>>677895
I have to double-check the rod but I think it's recommended line-test is something like 12 - 20#. I think 65# is the equivalent to most brands' 15 - 17#. I might go low as 50# which is right around 12# mono. That'd still be mighty strong and hopefully increase cast range.
>>
File: scratchy.jpg (283KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
scratchy.jpg
283KB, 1280x720px
>>677901
>What techniques do you guys normally do for frogs and other topwater stuff?
The fish usually dictate it, and to an extent my tackle (which is why I'm building the frog setup). There are days where one can do no wrong when it comes to topwater. I love those days. Early morning or late evening, slight fog on the water, fish breaking everywhere. Seems like it doesn't matter where you cast, they'll smash a popper or a frog.

Other days they make you work hard for a strike and those are often the ones I wish I had a stronger setup. Late last summer there were some huge snakehead beneath thick hydrilla mats. Unlike bass where I could usually coax them out by casting poppers or frogs to the outskirts of the grass (some place safe for lighter mono) the snakehead would not come out. But I knew they were there because any time I pulled a frog over the little windows in the thick mats of grass they'd smack the frog two or three feet into the air (probably not trying to eat it, just defend their young). Which was probably lucky for me because there'd have been no way for me to pull them out of the stuff if they did take the frog down.

>>678072
7cm Brown Frog Skitter Pop is my all-time producer on topwater. Pic related. It's seen some shit. Either steady, dog-walking retrieves or sometimes a slow, sparse, gurgle retrieve. Late spring and early summer before the hydrilla starts getting crazy I usually have luck walking spooks at various speeds parallel to the shoreline. Most of the time they'll get smashed mid-walk but sometimes it helps to pause and let it sit before walking again.
>>
>>678273

All the pros use 50 or 65. Having said that, ive never needed more than 30. The idea is once you hook a fish in the mat, that you're able to pull it out.
>>
>>678298
I've noticed that. Seems like a good line diameter that's still toward the lower-to-mid range of the recommended mono. I don't think I've ever spooled a reel with the maximum recommended line for any given rod. Thick mono and fluoro start to get unwieldy fast on low-profile casting reels and even on some medium-sized spinning reels.
>>
File: l160747.png (55KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
l160747.png
55KB, 300x300px
>>678286

Rebel frog r is my favorite topwater. It has loud rattles and walks really easily. I feel like the rattles are what make it so good. Plus it has a weird aerodynamic reaction that makes it cast pretty good too. Plus, ya know, its only 5 bucks lol.
>>
>>678186
>For sure, I'll keep an eye out for that.

Yeah, I normally just order it straight from the company's website. I've tried their Monster, Shad, Crawfish, and Minnow "flavors" and all have performed well. I'll buy 2 45oz tubs at a time, always 1 tub of Monster and I'll get another tub of a random flavor just to have a little variety.

>I would probably use one of those little foam sponge tube deals for it that I use with the other dip baits.

No need for the sponge or tube with these baits, they're not liquid enough that it'll wash off easily nor does it tend to fling off when you cast. I use a 1/2" open end - box end wrench in place of a stick to bait my hooks and just try to pack it on the hook, it works pretty good.

>I also just noticed I have a jar of that dip bait in my closet that has to be like 10yrs old. I wonder if it is still good.

Eh, it won't hurt to try it out, if you don't catch anything with it then you can just toss it in the trash then.

>I'm suprised you got so many channel cats in the middle of the day. I have caught cats in the day, but I normally throw out catfish rigs at night.

I've had good luck with channel cats biting at all times of the day or night, they're not quite as 'nocturnal' as people make them out to be.
>>
>>678215
>I have one more question for the cats, what kind of structure or where in the lake do you target?

Well, today we caught all the fish tied off under the middle of a bridge that was going over the lake in 25-30 ft of water, fishing right on the bottom.

I've had luck all over that lake anywhere from 3ft to 30ft deep fishing off points, in coves, near inlet pumps, near the coolant water discharge (it is a power plant cooling lake aka a "hot water lake" though no units were running today so there wasn't any hot water flowing and the water temp was between 58-62F). This lake is known as an excellent catfish lake and a trophy bass lake (crazy slot restrictions and limit on bass to keep trophy sized fish in there and lots of bass tournaments are held on the lake).

Generally, anywhere there is flowing water is good, any deeper canals/channels/old creek beds is good, and major points are good. Sometimes you'll luck out and hit a cove that's just loaded with catfish. Since I normally fish right on the bottom then I try to pick areas that don't have an abundance of vegetation or submerged trees or anything to catch my hooks on. The trick with channel cats is to keep moving until you find them, don't just wait for the fish to come to you. There are fish feeding in the lake 24 hours a day, you just have to find out where they are. If you've been at a spot for 15-20 mins and aren't even getting bites then it's time to MOVE. That's what's nice about having a boat, it's a bit harder to do that if you're fishing from the bank.
>>
>>678286
Heh, I've got that same Rapala. It's in the little box in the OP. I have had more luck with the fire tiger color tho.
>>
File: bass_river_launch1.jpg (635KB, 1632x1224px) Image search: [Google]
bass_river_launch1.jpg
635KB, 1632x1224px
>>678073
>launch points for the 'yak
pic related
>>
File: bass_river_launch1.jpg (453KB, 1224x1632px) Image search: [Google]
bass_river_launch1.jpg
453KB, 1224x1632px
dammit, knew that was going to happen
>>
File: received_10205019377745650.jpg (398KB, 1332x1776px) Image search: [Google]
received_10205019377745650.jpg
398KB, 1332x1776px
Catch of the day, danube river croatia.
>>
Is this a river/freshwater only thread, or can someone who has literally never lived for more than a few months on a continent post?
>>
>>678519
Nah man, saltwater stuff is totally welcome. I've only gone fishing in the ocean like 3-4 times but I loved it. I should really try to plan a fishing trip down to the coast with a few friends who are into fishing sometime this summer.
>>
File: IMG_20151223_174449788.jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151223_174449788.jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
>>678519
Did someone say salt!?
>>
File: 20151024_180921_resized_1.jpg (1MB, 2656x1494px) Image search: [Google]
20151024_180921_resized_1.jpg
1MB, 2656x1494px
Deeeeelicious
>>
>>678519
I live 5 min from one of the best fishing piers in Florida, but still fish freshwater because I don't know what I'm doing with saltwater. I have been asking around for tips and I'm gonna go back out there soon.

>>678538
So have you put that on a rod yet? Or is it still sitting on your counter with no line?
>>
>>678562
how do you transport your fish from the water to home?
the only person i know that eats his catch carries around a bucket full of sloshy ass water and doesn't kill his fish until he walks home
>>
File: 20151024_153938_resized_1.jpg (1MB, 1494x2656px) Image search: [Google]
20151024_153938_resized_1.jpg
1MB, 1494x2656px
>>678591
Kill it right away, bleed it dry and break the neck
Put it in a plastic bag, gut and clean it when I get back home. I rarely go fishing for more than a few hours so the fish stays fresh
>>
>>678591

I keep a fish body bag in my car with some ice packs.
>>
>>678591
Isn't the best way to have a cooler full of ice? Just toss the live fish on ice as soon as you catch em. Assuming you aren't out in the middle of nowhere all day.

Otherwise I think you can just toss em in a warm cooler for a bit and wait to put ice on them until you are on the way home. But I wouldn't want to do that on a hot day if I were going to be out there for more than an hour or two before getting ice on them.
>>
File: Wicker_creel.jpg (101KB, 560x500px) Image search: [Google]
Wicker_creel.jpg
101KB, 560x500px
>>678591
any of you guys ever use a creel?
>>
>>678633
i can't find one for sale that isn't 300+ dollars
my only hope is some dumb widow sells me one at a yard sale when spring comes around
>>
>>678638
>300+ dollars
holy shit I thought they were like 20-50
>>
>>678642
wicker creels are handmade heirlooms that flyfaggots hoard alongside the barrels of semen they subsists off of
infact, fly fishermen only eat salmon because it sounds so similar to semen
>>
>>678591
When going trout fishing (here in TX they stock trout in small "community fishing ponds" here during the winter, trout can't survive during the summer heat here) I just carry fish basket to throw the trout into as I catch them, fish basket stays in the water. The limit is 5 trout so it's not like I'll have many fish in the basket before it's time to go home. Then I'll just put some of the pond water in a 5 gallon bucket, dump the trout in there, put a lid on the bucket so the fish can't escape, and take them home like that.

When on a lake, fishing from the bank I'll normally use either a stringer or a fish basket, then put all the fish in a tub or cooler to transport home and clean. If it's really hot out then I'll bring a cooler of ice to put them in for the trip home, otherwise I don't worry about it as they shouldn't go bad on the 30 min trip back to the house.

When out on a lake in the boat I'll use a cooler with 20lbs of ice in it, just throw the fish directly on the ice. If it's really hot out then I'll occasionally pour some extra ice on the fish from the beer cooler so the fish on top don't get too hot.
>>
>>678627
your FLA is showing...
>>
File: hathaway1.jpg (1MB, 1632x1224px) Image search: [Google]
hathaway1.jpg
1MB, 1632x1224px
The thin veil of ice that crusted my closest pond is gone.
>>
File: hathaway2.jpg (832KB, 1632x1224px) Image search: [Google]
hathaway2.jpg
832KB, 1632x1224px
>>678659
>>
>>678655
I assume if you were ice fishing or even if it was in the 50s, it wouldn't be too bad leaving them in the cooler for a few hours. But in the FL sun, I would not want to leave the fish to bake in the cooler with no ice for 6hrs before I finally filet em or get them on ice.
>>
File: YSG.jpg (71KB, 352x375px) Image search: [Google]
YSG.jpg
71KB, 352x375px
>they don't fillet their fish on the lakeside and toss the guts at children

fun fact: the shit dicks that run the apartments near a fishing hole I really liked built a basketball court next to the lake so there is a constant supply of basketballs and black people falling into the spot that used to be great for catching catfish
>>
>>678667
Eh, I just clean them at home and bury the guts in my garden or flowerbed.

There aren't really any cleaning stations or running water anywhere on the lakes that I normally fish, and cleaning fish with no running water sucks in my opinion.
>>
File: recent-volume.png (35KB, 840x315px) Image search: [Google]
recent-volume.png
35KB, 840x315px
>thinking about going fishing on a different lake about 1hr away that's pretty good for catfish
>look at lake information on the state's website
>see this (pic related)

Haha, there's no way, the lake is 31ft high and has like 15X more volume than normal. I completely forgot how bad the Red River flooding has been over the past few months and any reservoirs on that river system are pretty fucked right now. I guess I'll just be hitting the same old lake I always fish on next weekend.
>>
>>678642
They are.
https://www.google.com/search?q=creel&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=cheapest+creel&tbm=shop

If you really want to then you can pay ~$500 for a traditional wicker, leather and canvas creel hand-made by the same English company that's been making them for the gentry since the 19th century to go with your split cane rod and Lovat tweed jacket on your annual fishing and deerstalking trip to Scotland but you can also get a creel mass-produced in the third world for about $20.
>>
>>678709
M'lord, may I please fish and gather eels on your land?
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>678286
4u
>>
File: boomarangfishing.webm (304KB, 1278x720px) Image search: [Google]
boomarangfishing.webm
304KB, 1278x720px
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2AJ9UiJ5oc

>tfw you will never go skeet fishing
>>
>>678847
Man, I always thought about doing something like that when I was in IL. But I didn't own a boat nor a shotgun, and none of my friends with boats and/or shotguns were crazy enough to do it.

Plus those carp are in the Illinois River, which is a bit further south in the state. Last I checked tho, they were getting close to the Chicago River and Lake Michigan. And if they get thru the locks, it could be really bad for the great lakes.
>>
Go to the juno pier pepsifag.
>>
>>678878
Bruh, I live right over the bridge from Deerfield Pier. And Pompano Pier is right down the street. I think Delray has a pier too, as well as Ft. Lauderdale by Commercial.

Everybody says Deerfield is the best anywhere around here.
>>
>>678876
>>678847
>shoot at carp
>miss and blow the jaw off some kid walking along the shoreline
>>
>>678886
Whatever. The chances are fairly low of that anyway. Those rivers are pretty wide, there is nobody around on lots of it, and when you are shooting at fish that are only a foot or two out of the water, you are aiming down anyway. Plus if dude is using birdshot or even buckshot, somebody would have to be pretty close to get hurt.

Fuck those carp. More people should be out there skeetcarping.
>>
>>678881
Either way, go pier fishing. I think I remember you saying you haven't had any luck at any pier.

Here's what I've had luck with.

>croakers / spots / whiting
carolina rigged small pieces of shrimp and sand fleas on a 4 or 6 hook
>spanish mackerels
gulfstream flash minnows, chrome or gold 1/2oz rat-l-traps, gotcha plugs, some people use white crappie jigs too
>bluefish
1 1/2oz spoon, 2oz diamond jigs, gotcha plugs
>pompano
doc's goofy jig in pink and yellow
>>
>>678909
Good to know.

I think next time I go there, I'm going to grab a couple of those little silver bait fish that hang out by the pier. They are like 4" long. I will just put a hook through their back and huck it out there on a bobber.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Also if anybody is thinkin about grabbing a Rapala in the near future and wants a good color combo, check out this one. I think it's in the OP pic right in the middle. The lip on it is red and body is black and fairly bright yellow. I'm not sure if it is a "Husky Jerk" or "Original" or what, but it has this rocking motion that flashes the yellow and black and bass have been loving it. Got 3 smaller largemouths on it today.
>>
File: fis.jpg (398KB, 765x426px) Image search: [Google]
fis.jpg
398KB, 765x426px
>>678527
>>678566

Sounds good...generally don't take pics of things I catch, but I found a pic of this guy I got with a three prong a while back.

Pic was taken in the morning, I enjoy night diving and fishing quite a bit. Had I taken a picture of the other side, you'd see that I managed to spear it in the eye.
>>
>>679104
Cool, what kind of fish is that, where are you from?
>>
Any advice for someone who wants to get into this hobby, but has noone to learn from?

I've been reading books, but too scared to make a fool of myself with not being able to cast and such.
>>
>>679193
Where abouts are you based?

I took a mate out lure fishing for the first time today, he managed to land a bream within 15 minutes, something that is not easy to do. I also got a new pb 35cm.
>>
>>679199
Eastyuropoor, unfortunately.
>>
>>679193
>>679217
I think your best bet to start (assuming you are fishing lakes and ponds) would be to just grab a medium weight rod with some hooks, weights, and bobbers. Then go to a bait shop and get some worms or minnows. Toss it out in a few different spots and see what you are catching.

Then you can move up to lures. Anything that looks like the fish you are catching will eat. A gold Rapala will work for anything assuming it is the right size.

If you have a good local bait and tackle shop, they will be able to help you with everything. They will know the good fishing spots, what bait to use, and how to catch em. That is the best place to start.
>>
>>679165

Hawai'i

>>679193

Don't over think it. Fishing can be as complicated or as simple as you want it to be (just keep it legal).

You can catch fish with just a line, hook, and bread if you're patient enough. A lot of shops will sell cheap 99% complete rigs that are plenty if you're just playing around.
>>
File: 20160202_220558.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160202_220558.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Hey bros. Pic is literally my 40+ year old rod that was my fathers and is now mine. I don't claim to fish better than anyone else with it but I just got so used to it, I basically can't fish with a telescopic/one piece rod. the rod in the pic is just as comfy as it gets, with a cork grip and electrical tape reinforced hops. also, I'm from the Mediterranean/middle east region so fishing here is mostly stream/sea fishing, not many ponds or lakes.
>>
>>679419
Makes me kinda regret not hanging on to my dad's old rods and reels. Some Abu Garcia spinning reels and St. Croix rods. I'm sure I would never use them but it would be cool to still have them.

What is the action like on that rod? I remember those old St. Croix rods having very little spine. The one rod was for a lighter combo; like 4lb test, and you could bend the rod tip down to the handle with a few pounds of force.
>>
File: 20160202_225813.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160202_225813.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>679427
Well this ol' gal won't last long. she still has good flex but the attachment between the two pieces isn't great, I'm afraid a feisty fish will be able cause the joint to break. if that happens I'll hang her on the wall.
Action with this rod is mostly medium carp and small trut fishing. I usually use worms/dog food for bait and try to keep the line as weightless as possible to avoid loosening the joint in the first cast.
You have any idea for a similar modern rod?
>>
>>679419
>that cork
>the metal reel seat
Very pretty! What type of blank is it?
>>
>>679459
Hmmm...many US companies don't make spinning rods with long handles like the one your rod has. I can check out the european market or browse some jdm stuff and get back to you. What do you fish for, and how?
>>
>>679466
I was looking at one with a real long cork handle a few weeks ago. Can't remember what it was. It was either a Daiwa inshore rod they had on sale at Bass Pro, or it was a Fenwick or St. Croix at Dick's.
>>
File: 20160202_233455.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160202_233455.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>679463
~3m long tempered fiber glass, I think. Really not sure.
>>679466
Thanks man but Don't look hard, maybe they just don't "make 'em like they used to".
I fish for this
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flathead_grey_mullet
And for carp/coy
And these too
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilapia
My English ain't great so I hope I understood you. I mostly do stream/river fishing from the river bank
>>
>>679486
I have no clue, maybe the daiwa proteus? The dxi and saltist series have those short grips for working poppers. Anyways, the point I was trying to make was that most usdm rods are made for modern lure fishing. I wonder if a DAM black panther would be good for med bro.
>>
>>679492
I don't remember what it was. It wasn't an expensive rod. I think they were on clearance for around $60 ot $70. I just remember it being some Daiwa inshore rod.

Bass Pro's store brand rods have the longer cork handles on a lot of them. Maybe not super long, but at least full-length. I bought a combo with one of their Graphite Series and it has a full cork handle. Not sure about them now though since they actually redesigned most of their rod lineup within the past few months. Might still be similar designs but different colors on everything.
>>
>>679489
A fiber glass blank? That's probably why it lasted 40 years of use, those things are damn near indestructable. Would you be willing to buy a graphite or composite blank?
>>
File: 20160129_155626.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160129_155626.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>679492
The spin. Black panther looks great- full cork handle and all. got any experience with it? I might buy the 3m one just wondering about it's strength.
>>679497
I heard good things about graphite, so maybe. none of my local fishing friends have composite blank so I never got to have a go with it, hands on.

It's past midnight here so I'll check the thread when I'll wake up. Pic is a small fish I caught and made crab bait from last Friday. Night bros
>>
>>679497
>>679515
Isn't pretty much every rod these days some composite of fiberglass and graphite?

I'm guessing those older rods I left in IL were basically all fiberglass with how they bent. Does graphite not last as long?

Maybe it's just me, but it always seems like rods lose some action and become more flimsy after a few years of owning them.
>>
>>679165

Forgot to answer the other part- it's an alaihi.
>>
>>679549
What are the regulations for spear and bow fishing there? Here in TX we can only take "non-game fish" like carp, gar, sheepshead, buffalo, etc... Is it the same in Hawai'i?
>>
>>679567

Fish are regulated more by species, take amount, season, location than method, but ymmv with spear vs rod vs throw net regs
>>
>>679519
It depends on the rod, but I believe that most rods today are graphite/carbon fiber. Composite rods are labeled as such (tarvos and amp).
>Maybe it's just me, but it always seems like rods lose some action and become more flimsy after a few years of owning them.
Idk. At least you use them enough to tell.
>>679515
I do not have any experience personally, I just remembered reading that a good multipurpose rod would be a black panther. Plus, it looks relatively inexpensive and seems to have the actions needed for the fish you want.
>>
File: 913TkOR9rkL._SL1500_.jpg (273KB, 1500x1010px) Image search: [Google]
913TkOR9rkL._SL1500_.jpg
273KB, 1500x1010px
What bag do you carry /out/?

I spent a long time searching until I found this one and liked it enough to go with it. Its out of the way when I need it but swings around for easy access.
>>
>>674995
same exact thing happened to my shakespeare

The pin that holds the handle must have fallen out in my bag, and then morphed into a different timeline shortly after because it is nowhere to be found. I have just been roughing it without the pin for the last 6months or so- the handle falls off every now and then but it's not like fishing is action packed enough for this to be a big issue.

I wanna get a legit set-up soon. I might even drop 70 bucks or so on a reel just to be done with it. I'm mostly catching lake trout but I want to get something that can handle bigger fish just in case.

What are good rod/reel/line combos for somebody that wants to have one rig for everything?

I'm a backpacker so telescoping rods would be cool but it's not too much of a hassle to slip the rod into the bag... just risky.

Any suggestions for a one rig setup for lake fishing in the rocky mountains? (Colorado to Montana?)
>>
File: image.jpg (108KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
108KB, 640x1136px
>>679650
That looks nice with that little mesh stuff so it sits on your waist easier. What size tackle boxes does that hold? 3600? 3500?

>>679662
I don't know much about telescoping rods, but for your price range, I would suggest a Pfleuger President reel. They run around $50-$60, and I own two of them after having numerous amounts of people reccommend them to me. Sounds like a good size for stream fishing in the mountains would be the one made for 4lb-8lb mono, it will be the "30" size if you look online. The reel says it holds 145yds of 6lb mono. It is a good size, not super small ultralite, but slightly smaller than a true medium weight made for 8lb-10lb line.

My 2nd choice in the $50-$75 price range would be a Shimano Sedona. For size, either a 1000 or 2000.
>>
File: 001.jpg (547KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
001.jpg
547KB, 1280x720px
>>679650
Overstuffed Plano Hydro-Flo (4674) onnaboat. If I'm wading or plan to do a lot of walking I like the small double-sized Plano boxes (3449-22, I think). I can fit one in each of the biggest pockets on my fishing vest. They also fit well in the large pockets of ACU style trousers. I just stuff those with a handful of the lures I think I will work best. If they don't deliver I walk back to my vehicle and swap out for something else from the big bag.
>>
>>679700
3500, it came with 2 and I have a smaller one in the front compartment. Its one of the few packs ive found with a waist strap as well as a shoulder strap.

>>679702
Makes sense, tend to walk up and down the river I fish so only carry the one pack with a good variety of stuff in it while the big bag sits at home or in the truck
>>
>>679650

A cheap multitool and a small one of these that will fit in the side pocket of my surf shorts.
>>
>>679702
Your thumbnail looks like an octagonal screen playing Gun where you're on a horse, and the screen is mounted to motorcycle handlebars.
>>
What are your favorite tackle colours for winter, /out/?
>>
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>679705
Damn, I should look for something like that. I have been searching for a small bag that will hold 2 or 3 3500 boxes and doesn't have a million pockets that make the bag reallt large.

Not sure if I want the waist strap tho. The closest thing I found was this Gander Mountain bag that has 2x3500 boxes inside and an even smaller one in a little pocket on the front. I want something I can toss a few lures in and walk around with. I will keep a multitool in my pocket and my bigger bag in the car if I need it.

There was also the Plano Weekender. There is one with 3600s and one with 3500s but I would want the smaller one.

Pic related is what I use when I just want to bring along a few lures.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Bump
>>
>>680140
>he fell for the Mepps meme

Enjoy your new paper weight.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>680195
Mepps is no meme my friend

Should I just put the trip back on?
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>680195
Next time I go out, I'm make sure to catch a couple bass on that brand new one with the pink blade. Just for you.
>>
File: image.jpg (163KB, 1155x1155px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
163KB, 1155x1155px
So somebody was asking me about flourocarbon leaders on braid, and I realized that I don't know nearly enough about leaders.

Basically, I have a couple rolls of Berkley Vanish. A 20lb roll and an 8lb roll. With my lighter combos (running anywhere from 6lb to 15lb braid) I will normally run the 8lb Vanish. For heavier stuff with 20lb-30lb braid, I will use the 20lb Vanish. Around 2', when I am fishing most lures.

Seems the 8lb flouro (specifically the knot at the lure) is always the failing point when I get a snag with 10lb-15lb braid. Same with the 20lb flouro on 20lb-30lb braid.

Do you guys normally run a heavier test flouro leader compared to your main line? I'm thinking it might be a good idea to grab some 12lb or 15lb flourocarbon line to run with the 10lb and 15lb braid. I have tried the 20lb Vanish with 15lb braid, but it seems like at that point, the leader is so much thicker than the braid main line. And it might just be me, but I doubt the visibility of the thin 15lb braid is that much more than the much thicker 20lb flouro. Plus the 20lb means much thicker knots which can hurt casting slightly. The 20lb braid also seems so stiff and heavy when I'm casting 1/8oz to 1/4oz lures from a lighter weight combo with 10lb-15lb braid.
>>
File: snowleopardtailhug.jpg (243KB, 600x661px) Image search: [Google]
snowleopardtailhug.jpg
243KB, 600x661px
>>680217
>>680221
>tfw I knew it was you the second I saw the Mepps even with out the trip

You have been out meme'd my friend :^)

Seriously though, are Yo-Zuri's worth it? I've been using Rapalas and Strike Kings all my life.
>>
>>680329
Idk, I have mostly Rapals. That 3-D prism thing that Yo-Zuri does looks pretty good. I have a few Rapala X-Raps that have some depth to the colors like that, and they work pretty well.

I actually grabbed 2 of those Yo-Zuri 3DB's in that longer, thinner body style a few weeks ago. I played around with the gold one (in the OP pic) but it dives too deep for most shore fishing. The one crank I got today is a square lip so it will only dive ~3' and the rattler won't really dive at all.

I'll play with them more this weekend. They are fairly large compared to a lot of the Rapalas I normally use. So I gotta try them at some of the lakes with bigger largemouth. They have good action, and I have a feeling those deep reflective colors will be good when the water is fairly clear. It's not super shiny and reflective like other gold and silver cranks, but still enough to draw attention. And with that prism design, they flash real nice in the water.
>>
>>680325
Are you supposed to use a flouro leader when using crankbaits?
>>
>>680341
I do. Main reason is to make it less visible to the fish. Poppers and other topwater stuff are the only lures I've ever heard that you are better off tying the braid straight to the lure.
>>
>>680343
I'm currently using #10 trilene, is it worth tying on a flouro leader?
>>
>>680347
Idk, you could if you really want to if the water is like tap water clear.

Like I said, the main reason for using it with braid is because the braid can be visible to the fish. At least moreso than monofilament.

I thought I read somewhere that flourocarbon is also more resistant to sharp edges and abraision so some people use it when there are rocky bottoms that chew up line. Don't quote me on that though. I would google it.
>>
>>680325
Bumping for advice on leaders
>>
>>680341

Most people use reels spooled with straight flouro for crankbaits because it sinks and its invisible. Helps them get down to their advertised depth.

>>680325

To be fair, I dont think vanish is a good representation of flouro leaders. I went through two spools of #20 in the salt and it breaks so easily at the knot. I really lost confidence in it.

Seaguar flourocarbon leaders are the way to go I think. Im gonna try a spool this coming season.

Vanish has got to be significantly cheaper for a reason. Im gonna find out lol.

>>680347

I wouldnt unless you're fishing super clear lakes. 10# mono isnt super detectable.
>>
>>680537
I've been using straight vanish for anything sub-surface. I can't speak for it's use as a leader-material but it definitely helps with cranks and can even make a slow-sink descend a little faster and make a suspending bait a slow-sink (but so can tricks like swapping out for heavier treble hooks). I've enjoyed it for Shadow Raps and Vision 110 jerkbaits. Of course now I'm wondering if I should come up in price a bit to try out some other brands. Maybe I've been missing something in not using the less modestly priced fluoro.

>>680488
Couldn't say. I know next-to-nothing about leaders myself (this might be the year I learn). From casual glances I know doubled/quadrupled braid and steel leaders are oft used for toothy fish. Lower pound-test, lower visibility leaders for the sake of preventing thicker, more visible line from deterring bites. And then I think it mostly applies to surf-casting but a lot of surf folks will actually use a long, heavier pound-test lead as a sort of shock absorber when casting particularly heavy bait/lures. That way there is less chance of the line snapping on the cast, but you still nearly all the extra yardage that comes with spooling a lower pound-test line. Probably quite important when you're chancing hooking into huge fish or sharks that'll be taking you for a long walk on the beach.
>>
>>680569

There's also a difference between vanish line, and leader material (I believe). I've never spooled with pure flouro, but I definitely lost faith in their leader material.
>>
>>675991
i've gotten one half that size on a little panfish jig before, let me see if i still have the pic floating around
and thanks again for the braid
>>
>>676137
is that one of those "pen" fishing rods? how's it holding up? i had one once and it broke litterally the second i used it. i had 8 pound braid on it, hooked a little bass, and the thing broke off on the second section. i managed to land the bass, but didnt have my phone or a camera with me. i immediately released the bass, broke the rod in to about 7 more chunks, drove home, and threw away everything but the spool (that braid is going on my ultralight rod)
>>
>>676460
tip relating to
>>676596
take that trebel hook off the kastmaster, drop on a J hook, and put a gulp 1'' minnow or curly tail, or nailtail, anything really, and fish that. i've gotten everything from small bluegill, to monster crappie, small and largemouth bass, trout, and even a little 12 inch pike on that setup.
>>
>>676737
its soft plastics soaking in a jar of scent. look for Gulp Alive 1' minnows, in either the pumpkinseed or smelt colour
>>
>>680688
that pic is lost forever, i cant find it
>>
>>680688
oh and speaking of the braid pepsifag gave me, should i or should i not run a leader? and if i do run a leader, what test should it be? (the braid is 30) and how long?
>>
>>680569
>I think it mostly applies to surf-casting but a lot of surf folks will actually use a long, heavier pound-test lead as a sort of shock absorber

People also generally use a "shock leader" when fishing for catfish in fresh water. Catfish aren't tackle / line shy at all so you don't have to worry about spooking them with visible line or bigass weights/hooks. I generally spool my reel up with 20# mono and then use a 50# mono shock leader after the barrel swivel. If your drag is set right then you can easily catch a 80# cat on 20# mono but the weak point is generally your terminal knot and the first couple of feet of your line. A big cat jerking hard will really stress your line on his end so it's better to have some heavier line down there to absorb some of his pulls without breaking.
>>
File: fishy.jpg (117KB, 660x660px) Image search: [Google]
fishy.jpg
117KB, 660x660px
>>680734
>should i or should i not run a leader?
Depends on the water I guess. I never run a leader using 20# braid and I still catch plenty of bass and sunfish with it. I caught pic related (7lb 12oz LMB) last year using a texas rigged soft plastic crawdad tied directly to braid.

>and if i do run a leader, what test should it be? and how long?
Depends on what you plan on catching and where you'll be fishing. For bass I'd run like an 8#-10# leader that's 4ft-8ft long.

You definitely don't NEED a leader, you can try fishing for a while without one and then put one on at a later date to test it out. If you notice a dramatic difference in the amount of bites you're getting then you can start using a leader full time then.
>>
>>680754
when im trolley rigging or fishing around pilings in the salt i like to use a short 100lb leader, to help protect my mainline from abrasion, and a heavy leader helps control a fish when its close to the bridge/pier/boat till someone gets a gaff in it or hand on it. like when im trolley rigging i run a 50 pound main, a 10-20 foot 100 lb leader, then about a 2 foot leader of 43# steel leader with three trebel hooks on it, so if a cobia or king mackerel tries to go under the peir i have a little frey resistance while i pull them back out
>>
>>680758
bass mostly, also pike occasionally, and smaller cats, aswell as bluefish, flounder, spanish makerel, and similar fish on the ocean, where i usually run a 15 pound leader abou 5 feet long when im runnung 20-30 pound braid
>>
>>680762
and obviously a wire leader for blues and spanish makerel
>>
>>680785

I fish pretty much exclusively in salt water. I rarely ever use a leader, and if I do it's a wire one when I'm out on a boat.
>>
>>680785
I use a #30 mono leader for spanish mackerels. I have been told they have really good eyesight and wire can scare them off.
>>
>>680785
>wire leader for blues
necessary, sharp teeth
>>
>>680886
i dont worry about it too much, im mostly after the bluefish about a foot long (both for bait and eating) and the spanish are just a pleasant surprise if im honest. but if the water is crazy clear i go for a 50 pound mono leader
>>
>>680693
Damn, that's a good idea. I normally run a beetle spin or those jig heads with the little blade on it.

For a 2"-3" grub or minnow, what size Kastmaster would you run?
>>
Was offered an internship at okuma. Should I do it? I'm a bio major tho.
>>
>>681025
Doing what?
>>
>>681023
>>681023
id buy a few, ranging from 1/4 to 3/4 so you have room to adjust for depth/speed of retrieve. id get one of each- 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, and 3/4 then just toy around and see what you and the fish like. what i like to do is use the lightest the wind will let me get away with and twitch it in at a steady pace, it makes crazy eratic movements. sometimes, though, i rig up a heavier one and fish it like i would a crank bait for a reaction bite. basically you can do everything from rip it for reaction bites to finesseing it
>>
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>680195
My new paper weight works
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>681202
And another
>>
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>681211
And one more on that new Mepps

Too bad I have to work tomorrow. This lake is strange. During the day, I will catch a handful of largemouth but only like <12". As soon as the sun starts going down, the bigger guys come out. Both these were a good 14"-16"
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>681213
Last fish before I left was on that Mepps with the pink blade as well. Such disappoint. It was a good 4lb'er. I was fishing in a spot where there is a fence, then 4'-5' of grass (downhill) then rocks and a 3' drop into the lake. I was able to get that big one over the rocks, back tl the fence. Then he wiggles off the hook and got back to the water before I could catch him and get a pic.
>>
>>681074
Idk yet. I knew a girl in high school and she knew I liked fishing. Turns out she's the daughter of a higher up.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>681321
Damn, that sounds fun. If you don't have a better gig lined up, go for it. It could be something lower level at first, but at least you can get your foot in the door. Move up to something cool or transfer to another company in the same industry doing something you enjoy.

I wonder if Abu Garcia needs any help designing new reels. I do have 1/4 of an engineering degree...
>>
File: snowleopardstanding.jpg (45KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
snowleopardstanding.jpg
45KB, 960x640px
>>681202
I own some Mepps senpai, I was just fucking with you.

>>681336
Did you throw him back in the lake?
>>
>>681381
Yeah, I tossed him back. Last one I just left on shore. I'm guessing the birds got the one on land. This one I left in some shallow water. Made sure he was good and ded first.

RIPIP Snek
>>
The only thing I've caught in my lake are largemouth bass and the occasional bluegill. The only thing I have gotten bass to hit are junebug worms and rat-l-traps.

They won't touch a crankbait no matter what I do. The second I switch to the worm its fish on.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>681390
I don't have much luck with the fat, round crankbaits either. The flat lures like Rat-L-Traps and Rapala's rattlers work pretty well for me, but the skinny original Rapala shape is what I have the best luck with as far as fish replica hardbaits go.

I was even trying out that new You-Zuri 3DB a little bit today and didn't have any luck with it. But the fish were hitting Mepps, Rapalas, and Gulp/Power Bait minnows.
>>
>>681336
Haha, still an undergrad. Abu garcia? Gross man.
>>
>>681411
>undergrad

Nah, just slowly becoming an old man now.
>>
>>681420
I meant I'm still an undergrad. But don't let your dreams be memes pepsifag!
>>
>>681202
looks like all 3 points of that hook are in his mouth wedging it shut. i hate when that happens, especially when its something like a bass that i want to get back in the water. at least thats something that needs to die
>>
>>681025

Don't see why not.
>>
>>681025
either take it or differ it to me! id kill for that kind of offer
>>
>>681477
I think that one had 2 of the 3 stuck. But whatever, I don't think I even took the hook out until I stuck the knife thru his head. Catfish are the worst because they seem to bite down real hard whenever you are trying to get the hook out.

Lately I've been getting pissed because I have been hooking all these bass on Rapalas. They get the hook on the middle of the lure in their mouth, and the end hook gets them in the gill or the eye. I try to do as little damage as possible getting them out.
>>
Taking the boat out on the lake tomorrow with a couple of friends, looking for some more catfish. They're calling for rain from 8am-11am and it won't get out of the 40's until around noon but fuck it, we're all gonna bring rain coats and several layers of clothing so hopefully it won't be too miserable.
>>
going to try to get out soon to a nearby river for ishing for northern pike and bowfin, in my kayak havent ever fished this river before but apparently it is tidal so i have no clue what im doing
>>
>>681846
Don't drown.

>>681839
I just got home from work, and I have to take my dog to the vet tomorrow morning so no sunrise fishing. I'm thinkin about going back to the lake I was at last nigh. If I leave now, I can get like an hour in before it gets dark. And the bass bite good after dark as well. Thinkin about possibly doing a catfish setup as well.

But I just worked a long day. I'm enjoying my couch right now.
>>
>>681849
waters still cold as fuck, trying to get there as soon as possible to try to get there for spawning of the northerns, they typically do it on ice out and we had like no winter this year ( except for like 6inches toaday
>>
>>681852
Ahh, I see. I have no idea what the spawning patterns are down here. All I know is I'm enjoying this slightly colder weather and water because the largemouth are really active.

Summer brings out those Mayan Cichlids and Peacocks. But the largemouth don't bite for shit. Especially fishing from shore. Just gotta hope it doesn't get too cold or the peacocks won't make it to the summer. I guess a few years back there was a real cold winter that killed off the peacocks and oscars in tons of places. I guess the peacocks have made a comeback a bit, but the oscars not so much. Those mayans survived and they took over most places the oscars were.

I think I figured out my fishin plan for tonight. I'm gonna chill for a little bit, and maybe head out later. Throw a rod or two out for catfish and see if I have any luck and then cast around for bass. I always worry about losing a rod though and it interrupts my bass fishin.
>>
>>681865
if we get a few days in the 60s il go out kayaking probably
>>
>>681877
I just wanna see Ohio anon land some keepers with the new Ambassadeur. I keep forgetting the weather is too shitty to fish in lots of places up north.

Maybe you know this: what is the deal with spawning and fishing? Is it best to fish right before they start spawning? During? After? I never really looked into it.
>>
File: BLine.webm (925KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
BLine.webm
925KB, 640x360px
>>681882
alot of species of fish get very protective of their nests during, and immediately after spawning im sure it depends on the species but ive always found it easiest to catch alot of fish right after spawning, hence why i want to target northern during spawning, sine i haven't ever caught any of them before and i would like to also have fish webms i made
>>
>>681884
Hmm, I see. I've gotten a few of those Mayans right after spawning because they do that cichlid thing where theh protect their little nest. If you run a lure anywhere past them, they attack pit of defense. Not like they are hungry and chase it down though.
>>
File: BLineFeed1.webm (854KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
BLineFeed1.webm
854KB, 640x360px
>>681889
thats how it goes, use something large and noisy to get a reation bite
>>
>>681865
Welp, my plan to go fishing tonight failed. Ate some dinner and passed out on the couch, and now I'm sad.

At least tomorrow is Saturday. Gotta bring doge to the vet at 8am, so no morning fishing. Then my landlord sold the house I'm renting and the new owner wants to come check it out around 10am and meet us so he can see that we take good care of this house (especially for renters) and then maybe I can finally go fishin.
>>
>>681837
what i do is drop the back hook for a j hook or drop it entirely since bass usually feed head-first
>>
>>681882
i would go out just before the spawn which if this weather keeps up should be pretty early. if there was a big melt like usual id be taking it to this little hole in down-town kent that floods full of fish trying to escape the current. in late season its only got little large mouth (8 inches or so) and crappie. then in the spring it fills with pike, bigger bass, and some other stuff.
>>
>>681477
Yeah.. Those pesky Bowfins.
>>
>>682170
That's definitely a bullseye snakehead
>>
File: image.jpg (22KB, 266x190px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22KB, 266x190px
>>682170
There's also pic related.

And the very distinct markings and colors. As well as the shape of the head. Especially if it is a bullseye snakehead like we have here in FL, it is really hard to mistake them for anything else.
>>
I don't know shit about fishing but y'all should have a cool image for your general with the thread # and everything. Shit would be so cash
>>
>>682175
Well since you don't know me from /o/, you don't know that PepsiFag doesn't into computers. There is probably an iPhone app for it tho.

It's almost time for a new thread. I'm not going to be "that asshole" who makes a new thread at 230 replies. On a board where it could take a week to get the last 80 replies. Sombody tried to do that a few days ago when this thread was on like page 2. Use the damn catalog!
>>
File: 20160206_022009.jpg (839KB, 2048x1350px) Image search: [Google]
20160206_022009.jpg
839KB, 2048x1350px
>>682174
Hey there
It's that ohiofag and I decided to take a pic of all the lures I'd consider throwing for bass. Most were found on the side of lakes and rivers, some are trout lures, some are big panfish lures, and some are pike lures.
I also have a few assorted soft plastics also found lakeside.
I've also got a crankbait crawdad somewhere
What should I add as I get money to?
>>
>>682174
>>682210
thats a ritz for size comparisan on the upper right of the cardboard box btw
>>
>>678638
Sucks for you. My grandpa has like 20 antique creels from my great grandpa. Gonna inherit that shit.
>>
>>676794
if you wanna go online, check janns netcraft, theyve got everything for making lures and fishing rods
> http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/
>>
>>678638
>>678642

http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/fly-fishing-vests/028632256909.aspx fucking 23 dollars
yall niggas dont know how to shop
>>
>>682210
You got a decent assortment of crankbaits that will be good for bass. Practice with those poppers, they will be good of you are fishing at sunrise or sunset and the water is real calm.

Do you have any weedless frog lures? I never have the best luck with them, but a lot of people swear by them. Probably depends where you are fishing.

Also pic related. Flukes or whatever the hell they call those rubber minnows. PowerBait, Zoom, they are cheap enough too compared to Rapalas and stuff. I normally just rig them with a jig head because it is easy, but there are a bunch of other ways to use them. I also really like curly tail grubs. A 2"-3" one on a jig jead and possibly wit a beetle spin if the waternis cloudy.
>>
File: image.jpg (148KB, 1290x1935px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
148KB, 1290x1935px
>>682284
Forgot pic. Fluke on top and curly tail grubs on the bottom.
>>
File: pompano.jpg (435KB, 1224x734px) Image search: [Google]
pompano.jpg
435KB, 1224x734px
I went to the pier this morning and caught a pompano on a gotcha plug. I've never had that happen before.
>>
File: ladyfish.jpg (566KB, 1632x1224px) Image search: [Google]
ladyfish.jpg
566KB, 1632x1224px
Also got this thing.
>>
>>682372
How big was that? Those look fun to catch. I should get to Pompano Beach and try to catch some Pompano.

The BPS in Dania just had some big Pompano event a couple weeks ago. Must be that time of year or something.
>>
File: pompano2.jpg (899KB, 1224x1632px) Image search: [Google]
pompano2.jpg
899KB, 1224x1632px
>>682381
I didn't measure it but it was a decent size for a pompano. He started running parallel to the pier and put up a decent fight. The ladyfish was a much better fighter though, he started jumping out of the water like a bass.
>>
>>678491
Are those shells underneath the fish ?
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
First fish of the weekend. Healthy lookin little guy too, he had nice colors and a good gut.
>>
>>682377
thats a lady fish. they make pretty good bait if you butterfly it
>>
>>675287
Where in florida are you? pls be watching this bread:(
>>
>>682284
so far those poppers are my best bass lures aside from a black jitterbug i found then lost. i used to have a weedless frog but its long gone, no idea where. what do you think of weedless jigs? they seem to be pretty cheap and everywhere, should i pick a few up? should i tip them with something? if so what?
and i know those flukes. i mostly used to put them on a 2/0-3/0 wide gap texas rig hook with a small weight and fish them like that when i was little and still being funded by my parents.
also with the popper and one of those crank baits theyre being odd to cast. theyre casting 30 degrees left of where i intended them to go, every time, and they dont seem to be casting as well as they could. the only thing i can think thats causing it is he line is scraping against the level wind, because although ive got nearly 3/16 of an inch of space left on the spool the line still seems to drag on the top of it. should i put the excess line, along with the line still on the filler spool on a spinning reel and try again with casting or what?
>>
>>682566
Broward. Why? You wanna go fishin?

And since this is a "Tackle" thread, this has been a great lure for me. Rapala X-Rap, copper colored with an orange belly and black top. I like it so much that I'm going to grab the next size up of the same color next time I'm at Bass Pro.
>>
>>682569
Idk about the weedless jigs, haven't had a ton of experience. Are they dressed? Either way, couldn't hurt putting a Power Bait minnow or curly tail grub on there.

And that's strange that the cranks seem to cast 30* off. I've never had a problem like that. I just always have to get used to the casting reels being a little different than spinning reels. If I fish with spinning reels all day, first cast on the baitcaster will go wide left. Can't figure out if it is a stiffer rod, or the fact that the reel sits on top of the rod instead of under like a spinning reel. I just have to release the line a split second earlier. But it is the same with all lures, not just cranks or anything.
>>
File: haters-gonna-hate-ponies.gif (923KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
haters-gonna-hate-ponies.gif
923KB, 240x240px
so like i only ride a motorcycle, i dont own a car, and i want a little something i can drag to lakes and streams to go fishing. how well would a kayak work for this? i fish for everything from panfish, to pike, catfish and carp, , and all sorts.
my plan is to buy a kayak cheap off craigslist then build a small trailer out of aluminum to save on weight, then use pvc and set screws to make an outrigger that can stick out either side and mount vertically for transport.then set two flat spaces to tie down a small cooler and a tackle box, then lastly 4 rod holders- 2 in back (vertical) and two in front (angled) the two in back are mostly storaige, the two in front are 33% hold my rod on the road, 33% hold my rod while i get to the spot, and 33% hold my rod while i wait for a bite/fight a fish on the other one. this would all involve drilling holes in the kayak, then using teflon tape, silicone caulk, and nuts/bolts to hold everything down water tight. my plan for the rod holders was to make a springy bit to hold the rod in that i dont have to use. like, just a tension spring and some 550 paracord to just loop over the reel to hold the rod in the holder while im on the road.
some i could probably doodle up my designs.
if anyone has any advice or experience with a build like this id love to know
oh and i almost forgot, a pair of cleats, with an eye bolt in the middle so i can tie off an anchor to the eye bolt and depending on what the wind, current, or both are doing i can tie off to the back cleat or the front one to change how i point, or i could do two smaller anchors.

maybe a pair of outriggers?

if i could get my dads aluminum row boat how hard to pull would that be?
>>
>>682580
Sounds like a project. If you can get a small hitch on the bike, you should be able to find a tiny, light trailer. And if you get a kayak or small aluminum boat, you could store everything in there.

Also we hit the bump limit so I'm gonna start a new thread
>>
>>682571
fuck yeah I want to go fishing. I'm palm beach, boynton to be more specific. I've gathered from this thread that you're in pompano or deerfield.
>>
>>682587
Any weekend mang. Although I mainly do freshwater because I'm from the midwest and clueless when it comes to saltwater. I'm gonna be out all afternoon and prolly into the night today. Down in Miramar right now but probably going to head to my spot in Pompano in a lil bit.

If you wanna meet up somewhere, just let me kno. If you're not busy this afternoon, meet me at that Pompano spot, they have some decent bass. My little brother is my only fishing buddy and he is at school.

Also I made a new thread so post there next time in case this one disappears
>>
>>682591
Whereabouts is that pompano spot, that big ol lake of sample (i think, might be copans) that goes both sides of the road? I may just fish up by me because I've got a nice honeyhole tucked away in the woods.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>682592
The one over there is on Sample and Poweline. But there's a good spot off of Powerline where nobody ever fishes from. That place is really good for big bass as soon as the sun starts setting.

This lake in Miramar is fun, but that's a trek for you. There is another lake I want to check out off of Copans. It's right by my work. I tried going at night once, but I couldn't see and kept going into the weeds. Otherwise I do these lakes off 10th St in Deerfield a lot because they are close to the crib.
>>
>>682592
Where is the spot in Boynton or whatever? You goin today? I would try it out if it is any good
>>
I want a new pier rod for bluefish, kingfish and snook. What length, brand and action should I get? I have a Shimano Socorro 8000 that I'm gonna put on it.
>>
Which race is the best at fishing?

I think Filipinos are insanely good.
>>
>>683432
American injuns
Thread posts: 321
Thread images: 91

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.