[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do bubbles ruin a compasses accuracy? I've heard of people

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (34KB, 469x313px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34KB, 469x313px
Do bubbles ruin a compasses accuracy? I've heard of people throwing out their compasses when they have bubbles and I remember my father saying not to trust a compass with a bubble.
>>
Your father is a dumb retard then. Most compasses don't even have spirit levels, and unless you're only looking at your compass in weekly intervals while travelling thousands of miles, that lack of accuracy isn't going to be noticeable.

Even if you absolutely did need to use one, it doesn't take much effort to get the compass completely horizontal. Use your shoestring, put it in water, or whatever.

>americans

I rage every time
>>
>>674332
Easy there Napoleon. First off he never said anything about being American, second off he had a legitimate question.

No need to eurochimp out. When you act like this, you come across the same as a jealous teenager who's envious of their more successful younger brother. A teenager than many years ago was relavent, but now realize they're just a small, irrelevant person, with no real purpose in the world. Your younger brother is successful, and one of the most powerful men in the world. You get mad at him for being so influential, so strong, so rich. You just realize no matter what you do, even if you brought 10 of your friends, he'd always kick your ass in a fight. So instead of being a man and standing up to him, you just bitch about him on the internet.

Relax.
>>
>>674306
He was fucking with you.
>>
>>674306
Sometimes elevation and changes in temp can cause a bubble.

A small bubble is no concern.

Easy way to check is to go to a location where cardinal directions are known.

Your house works. Check Google maps satellite view to see what way north is, then check the compass for accuracy.
>>
>>674306
It does mine.

Check your's against Polaris add/sub for magnetic declination. +13.5 deg for me.
>>
File: IMG_1110.jpg (177KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1110.jpg
177KB, 600x600px
what compasses do you have?
do you sc/out/s know how to navigate?

this is mine; my grandpa already had it when he was a kid but he never taught me how to use it properly
>>
>>674332
>>674343
Both of your guys are cunts

Little bubbles don't make a noticeable difference. As long as the needle is still fully submerged you're good.
>>
File: image.jpg (76KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
76KB, 640x1136px
>>674378
>>
>>674378
PRG-270, some normal magnetic one, and an attachment for my PVS-7.
>>
File: F-5005LM.jpg (129KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
F-5005LM.jpg
129KB, 1024x1024px
>>674378

I have one of these, but with 0-90 instead of a 0-360.

I do know how to use it to navigate, as well as using it for geologic field mapping.
>>
>>674738

I've got one of those. Only really use it for shits and giggles since 99.99% of the time I'm using a total station or an RTK unit with a range finder etc.
>>
>>674926

I never use the damn thing either. My research doesn't really require much in the way of strike-dip, and I don't do much cross country stuff that would need a compass. I still have it though.
>>
>>674932

Not a geologist, but on rare occasions I'll use it for bullshitting elevations for running waterlines if I forgot an actual transit or something.
>>
OP try putting it on a warm radiator/ heater over night. If the bubble isn't too big it should disappear. It's worked for me.
>>
Bump>>674332
wew lad
>>>>/int/
>>
>>674738
the different scales are because of different military artillery stuff right?

mine is 0-64 counterclockwise, modern german compasses changed to 0-64 clockwise
>>
>>674306
Some compasses have fluid enough that when level no bubble shows, but held vertical the circle is half filled.

If someone could explain WHY people think compasses with a bubble are not accurate that'd be great.
>>
>>675112

Cartographer/surveyor/part time GIS guy here.

Surface tension from the bubble can shift the needle around. Most of those liquid filled ones aren't going to be super accurate (but good enough) to begin with, so it's not that big a deal. Unless it's painfully obvious that something is wrong I wouldn't be concerned.

>>675111

Scales vary based on profession. Military uses mils a lot, which is that 0-64 reading you've got. The old brass one that I use has an inverted 0-360 azimuth and mil readings, starting from the south. Some geologists use the 90 degree quadrants, and I know a few that can't stand those.
>>
>>675111

Some geologists use 90 degree quadrants rather than measuring a full 360 around the compass. I find the quadrants to make measuring strike and dip easier. as >>675120
said, some people prefer t he 0-360. I find N30W to be easier to visualize more quickly for plotting stuff on a map than 330 azimuth.
>>
>>675042
Then, when it returns to room temperature the bubble gets bigger.
>>
>>674378
I have a Suunto A-1000
but im planning on getting a Brunton pocket transit because im a geology student
>>
>>675307
freeze it, should fix your problem
>>
>>677534

As a geologist who owns my own... I'd wait till you were employed before I bought one, honestly. Borrow them from your university.
>>
>>674738
you can map rock joints with that

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strike_and_dip
>>
>>674371
my compass gets a bubble when I go up above 10k feet sometimes, and then when I come back down to a reasonable altitude, the bubble goes away.
>>
>>677799

Yup. That's part of field mapping. Gotta measure the orientation of all naturally occurring planar features, yo.
>>
>>674343
And dont forget that he lets those ethnic guys across the neighborhood sleep with his women. Man, Europe really is just a pitiful, envious big brother. Thats very sad, actually.
>>
>>674343
Nah mate, America is like that guy no one really likes. He's boastful and loud and wants everyone to notice him. He is powerful though, for some reason, so as much as we all want to, we can't really avoid him.
>>
>>678401
>for some reason
>>
>>674343
You just described America and China m8
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.