[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

i was inquiring to buy a medieval cloak and i thought /out/ would

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 15

File: images_LP30024355BR_l.jpg (21KB, 317x445px) Image search: [Google]
images_LP30024355BR_l.jpg
21KB, 317x445px
i was inquiring to buy a medieval cloak and i thought /out/ would be a good place to ask

what's a good material for a cloak? which is best for keeping dry during rainfall, staying warm, and the overall management of it such as keeping it clean? any recommendations or experiences with a medieval-era cloak?
>>
Gore-tex
>>
Oh look, this thread again. Ask /out/ they love cloaks
>>
>>673867
>>>/fa/
>>
File: ontario.png (551KB, 680x411px) Image search: [Google]
ontario.png
551KB, 680x411px
>>673878
sealskin with seal fur lining

>pic somewhat related
>>
>>673910
You know nothing John Snow
>>
File: 1447698379155.jpg (41KB, 475x570px) Image search: [Google]
1447698379155.jpg
41KB, 475x570px
>>673915
>John
>>
File: 1452734520488.jpg (5KB, 250x213px) Image search: [Google]
1452734520488.jpg
5KB, 250x213px
>>673910

>that pic
>>
I just made one out of a wool blanket and a shower curtain (one for warmth; one for waterproofing to make a single cloak that does both).
>>
>>673938
That does sound nice.

Maybe you could duct tape some Tampax to it for fire starters?
>>
>>673867
>tips
>>
File: 1-anglo-saxon-warriors.jpg (811KB, 2222x3026px) Image search: [Google]
1-anglo-saxon-warriors.jpg
811KB, 2222x3026px
Get a wool cloak. Wool is cosy. Wool is based.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN8cYd3poIk
>>
Fuck sake, now I want a cloak, what is wrong with me? They look so freaking comfy.
>>
>>673867
>>>/asp/
Larping fucking shits
>>
File: cloak_2_7_by_ailinstock.jpg (3MB, 1920x2560px) Image search: [Google]
cloak_2_7_by_ailinstock.jpg
3MB, 1920x2560px
>>674671

They're amazing anon.
>>
>>674675
Where can I get a nice one? I can't believe I'm considering this.
>>
>>673867
Probably unwashed/untreated wool that still has water repellent qualities.

Been thinking of making my own since it's one of the most basic and simple things to sew imaginable.
>>
>>674675
>dragging on the ground
>>
>>673867
Wool base cloak
Waxed canvas/ Tin-Cloth secondary poncho to post over.
>>
>>673867
thick polar if you want it for cheap.
i had a polar cloak and used it all the time at night to keep my back warm as the fire kept my front warm.
when you sleep you can throw it on top of your blanket and even your face if very cold.
only problem with polar is sparks burn a hole in it unlike wool. but wool is very problematic to clean and expensive.
>>
Is polarbear fur really so great? I always hear people recommending it.
>>
>>673867
The only medieval material is wool or MAYBE alpaca (which is not medieval, but doesn't look different from wool).

Also, the only medievalish way to keep it dry is standing under a roof or a tent. Medieval people had no way to permanently waterproof clothes.

To stay warm, keep it dry. If it gets wet, just dry it on your body or by a fire.
To keep it clean, don't do this
>>674675
To clean it, just brush the dirt off.
>>
>>675153
>Medieval people had no way to permanently waterproof clothes.
Not even wax?
>>
>>675157
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waxed_cotton
Strictly speaking wax and oils were applicable for waterproofing linen, but beeswax was expensive (the only non-smoking light source) and had many other (more important) applications while oils and fats were probably more important as food.
>>
>>675157
waxed canvas is pretty waterproof
so is waxed leather
>>
>>675190
neatsfoot oil was used from ancient times to care for gear especially leather but they did not eat it as far as i know.
>>
>>675193
>>675157
Okay okay, I was exaggerating here... these waterproof fabrics existed, but did not find application (you try making a cape out of leather...). Either way, most people probably had little need since they would end the day either in their own home, some kind of building or in a tent. They'd also pretty much always have a fire available somewhere. Carrying extra weight and paying extra money for a totally waterproof garment was not something the common man would do.
>>
>>675195
I don't think waterproofing linen with animal fat is practical for clothes.
>>
>>674677
I know where you can get some of the wool-viscose mix the Wehrmacht did use, if you want. http://www.zib-militaria.de/epages/61431412.sf/en_GB/?ViewObjectPath=%2FShops%2F61431412%2FProducts%2F190550
>>
>>675226
Why did everyone back then mix wool with viscose? Is there a point to it?
>>
WOOL
O
O
L
>>
>>674675
10/10
Would make fun of
>>
>>673867
>>674787
Wool inside layer, (waxed) canvas outside layer. Camo print.
That would be perfect for me.
>>
>>674664
jesus christ, why are wool blankets alone so expensive? are they THAT great?

i wanna know how much lindy paid to assemble this whole thing
>>
>>675388
>why are wool blankets alone so expensive?
rothco sells decent 90% wool ones for 35$.
>>
File: cloaks.jpg (45KB, 654x450px) Image search: [Google]
cloaks.jpg
45KB, 654x450px
>>675400
>no option for brown or regular green
fuck, i would be sold if not for that, i wanna feel like i belong leaning against a tree and taking a nap, ignoring my lord's orders to iron his trousers
>>
>>675410
>Green
>Ever for commoners clothing
Shirly thou jest?
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-27-19-02-51.png (1MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-27-19-02-51.png
1MB, 1440x2560px
I had a wool square cloak I made from a replica us army blanket that kept me warm and dry that I got off amazon for $20. Just needed to add a penanular cloak pin to keep it in place. Pic sorta related.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160127-191918.png (662KB, 1200x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160127-191918.png
662KB, 1200x1920px
>>675388

How poor are you?
>>
I want an invisibility cloak so bad!

I want to be a wizard, too!

Then I could cast spells and stuff and sneek up on girls undressing and stuff!

Cloaks and spells are cool! I want a cloak so bad!
>>
Does anybody have experience with a plash palatka? AKA the soviet sniper cape? Its not medieval but its a waterproof canvas cloak that I can I'm looking into. To anybody that has experience with it, is it worth it?
>>
>>675664
i dunno anon, but i've been planning on getting the pattern for one and cutting it out of ripstop nylon or even tyvec or something
>>
>>675634
I wish I had an invisibility cloak so I could disappear from this place and not have everyone I meet look at me with disgust. Then perhaps when I die it could be my shroud, keeping even my bones from view till they too are weathered and destroyed by time.

It would nice to be a wizard as well, perhaps then I would have some worth.
>>
Best wood to make a walking staff?
>>
>>676513
Dick wood
>>
>>676513
Bamboo
>>
>>673867
>which is best for keeping dry during rainfall, staying warm, and the overall management of it such as keeping it clean?
A polar fleece cloak with a goretex overcloak.

Shills will tell you wool, but while wool is still warmish when wet just like polar fleece, and takes a longer time to get smelly, it soaks up a metaphorically literal ton of water and takes days to dry.

A thin merino wool undercloak might be a good idea because it doesn't stink like synthetics worn next to the skin, but if you're wearing a cloak you're probably celibate so the smell isn't really relevant.
>>
just get the 10 dollar harbor freight wool blanket, air it out for a few days, and rub some pine resin or something on it
>>
>>676941
A cloak isn't worn next to the skin anyway.
Also, OP specifically said "medieval". If you start optimising like that, you quickly find out a cloak is a poor use of insulative fabric in the first place...
>>
>>673867
>>>/cgl/
>>
File: Hiker_in_Trouble.jpg (623KB, 758x600px) Image search: [Google]
Hiker_in_Trouble.jpg
623KB, 758x600px
>larpers still perpetuating the cloak meme
>>
File: image.jpg (173KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
173KB, 640x1136px
>>677067
>tfw had to google Larping

It's worse than I thought. I don't understand why people get into these things that just scream "AUTISM!!!". It's like those Rennaisance Fair people. Why not pick up a football or something and at least try to fit in with normal people?
>>
>>677071
>stop having fun!

Fuck off you cunt.
>>
File: image.jpg (67KB, 600x300px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
67KB, 600x300px
>>677086
Looks like they are having plenty of fun!
>>
>>677090
>Stop having your specific kind of fun and have this kind of fun! I command you!

Please fuck off.
>>
>>677071
You should understand anon, being autistic together is what this board is all about.
>>
>>675338
Heavy canvas and wool cape only supported by a string tied around my throat.

>No thank you.
>>
>>674677
You can't be considering a cloak, for real.
Just get a proper woolen coat, it is a modern, more fitted, cloak with more pockets, more buttons, sleeves, and cheaper nowadays.
The only advantage of a cloak is that it doubles more easily as a blanket.
>>
>>677765
>why would you get a 9mm pistol? just get an AR, it has a higher caliber, larger magazine capacity, kills people easier, it's iconic, and it's way more tactical

you're no fun
>>
>>674675
10/10 would fuck in the ass while my gf watched
>>
>>677091
This desu,
>at least try to fit in with normal people?
m8 the most anyone should do is try not to be TOO autistic.
>>
>>677071
thunder bolt!
thunder bolt !
sleeep sleeep
>>
File: cloaks.jpg (418KB, 1143x1372px) Image search: [Google]
cloaks.jpg
418KB, 1143x1372px
I own a cloak.
Its a bandsmans cloak for a dress uniform
Its warm but I would not want to wear it in the wet or damp.
>>
>>675153
What is leather?
>>
>>673867
Advantages of a cloak as compared to a jacket, coat.:
More flexibility with the level of insulation. Open it, throw it behind your back to decrease insulation.
Reserve fabric to use as blanket for rest, sleep or as a tarp if waterproof.
Shape is good to keep water of even if the material itself is not entirely waterproof, since most of the fabric does not contact the body. Also protects other things below the cloak from water, unlike a jacket.
Shape is good for ventilation when used for water protection rather than insulation.

Disadvantages:
Inefficient way to use insulative material for clothing.
Vulnerable to wind.
Makes working (slightly) harder.
Makes navigating brushes and such harder, gets in the way and snags.
Gets in the way of equipment (stuff on belt, bags, backpacks).
Violates the layering principle if made of insulative material (like wool).

There are "cloaks" made with modern waterproof materials (ponchos and raincapes) and these are used a lot. There are even insulative cloaks like these improved poncho liners with hole and hood that kifaru or hpg make. The fact that they find less use by orders of magnitude than rain cloaks, let alone jackets speaks for itself.
>>
File: meat slapping.jpg (30KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
meat slapping.jpg
30KB, 640x360px
>Le epic cloak meme
Lindybeige pls go. Take your autism elsewhere.
>>
>>677954
>No one ever wore a cloak that was open
>Everything medieval was utilitarian
Come on son.
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.