[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help me pick out a mountain bike for XC/Touring purposes /out/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: 1898 OG Touring.jpg (454KB, 1680x1253px) Image search: [Google]
1898 OG Touring.jpg
454KB, 1680x1253px
Help me pick out a mountain bike for XC/Touring purposes /out/ pls.
>also general cycling thread I guess?

I'm open to used but would prefer new for obvious reasons. Here's what I'm looking for.
>$300-500 budget
>29er MTB
>trigger shifters
>Hardtail
>as light weight as possible
>good gearing for upper echelon of speed
>to be used for 60% pavement, 35% gravel/dirt trail, 5% downhill.
I want to use it for touring trips mostly desu, like It seems like a fun way to expand my backpacker roots.
>>
Trying to get all of your criteria in that price range is a bad idea, sorry. Post your local craigslist I think.

Nice picture, by the way

Also, /n/
>>
>>673186
in that price range for a new bike I mean
>>
>>673186
I already looked up my local craigslist, full of overpriced beat up crap.

I'll probably go to performancebike, they are a cycling retailer near me. They might have on the floor deals, but from what i've seen online, there's roughly ~12-15 models in my under $500 price range on their website,

My main problem is I have no idea what's the difference between all of them since I really don't do bikes.
>>
>>673170
I don't reccomend going for a new bike at that price. You will regret it. Definitely look around on Craigslist or pinkbike for a used bike within that price range and you'll be much happier.
>>
>>673170
You don't want a 29er for touring. You're going to have a shitty time with those tires on pavement. They might not even have rack mounts because they're designed for trail use. But you could always go with a lightweight bikepacking setup. I am running 26x1.5 tires on my hardtail. It's stable on gravel and it runs fast on pavement. I lack grip on uphill singletrack but it represents a very small portion of my day. With your budget you will have to find something used.
>>
File: 81zGU6GsacL._SL1500_.jpg (174KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
81zGU6GsacL._SL1500_.jpg
174KB, 1500x1500px
>>673214
I was planning on going light weight bikepacking. All my backpacking gear is ultra-light weight anyways.

I was planning on strapping shit to the front bar, then a triangle frame bag, and something behind the seat but not attached to the rear wheel frame like pic related.

why don't you think 29er isn't good for touring? everything i've read so far says otherwise. The larger the wheel, the more efficient it is to cover greater distance. I would go towards a roadbike if it weren't for me wanting to ride trails where i need a stronk frame, some amount of suspension, and beefy tire/wheels.

>>673207
any suggestions of specific models? that's kinda why i made this thread.
>>
>>673241
pic related is garbage and it will only cause you trouble and pain. if you're gonna run a rack, you need to get a bike with the appropriate braze-ons. I like early 90s trek mountain bikes for this purpose, they're well built and usually have the braze-ons you need. Also look at old specialized stumpjumpers and hardrocks. Old GT bikes are good, as well as old diamondbacks. Newer diamondbacks are junk, stay away.
>>
>>673241
29" wheels are more about rolling over obstacles with greater ease. 650b is a popular in between choice. The only thing that will noticeably increase your efficiency would be running a higher PSI hybrid tire. There's a reason why road bikes run 100psi pizza cutter wheels. For $500 you'll have trouble finding a decent ride. Maybe an old Kona hardtail? Post on /n/, they are bicycle wizards..
>>
>>673273
Old steel Konas as well, they are bombproof. Also, /n/
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.