[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are ponchos viable during winter where it snows heavily (6")?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

File: poncho.jpg (360KB, 500x672px) Image search: [Google]
poncho.jpg
360KB, 500x672px
Are ponchos viable during winter where it snows heavily (6")?

They look super comfortable.
>>
I have never tried a poncho but I think there's a reason no one wears ponchos up here in northern countries.
A jacket blocks cold wind and keeps warm air around your body. With a poncho like that in your pic, warm air escape out to the sides.
It could perhaps be viable if you have some really good wool layers underneath, but it still seems like a bad choice to me.
>>
Ponchos look cool af if that's what you're looking for then go for it.
>>
Ponchos were designed to be portable shade. They were open to provide air flow but still keep the body shielded from the heat of the sun. Then, they could be a blanket at night. So, they're better for the desert than for wintery places.
>>
What about rain? Should i pick a waterproof one?
>>
>>672963
Just stay indoors, it's easier.
>>
>>672963
a dollar store waterproof poncho is suitable if you're going to sit on your ass all day drinking and fishing
>>
>>672996
>>672997
No im gonna hiking a long trail for like 2 weeks. I think im gonna do jacket, poncho combo.
>>
>>672859
imo they are good
the reason is when you are hiking you get sweaty the sides can be opened up that really helps with ventilation, if you are stopping or cold you simply fold the sides together and tie it with a belt or rope to decrease ventilation.
>>
>>672859
A wool poncho or cape is very nice and comfy for temporary use. It holds off water for a while, warms well while immobile yet doesn't overheat you while walking. European hunters still like to use them.

Note though that these spend lots of time immobile waiting for game, which means they can use these almost as blankets. Also, wool doesn't dry fast once wet. Not a problem if you go back home in the evening or at least dry it by a fire, not ideal for a tour. (Less of a problem in deep winter since there'll be no rain and you can just shake off the snow)

>>672877
Wool ponchos were they only thing people had as rain protection before the advent of real waterproof fabrics like oilskin or rubber.

>>673007
Jacket + waterproof poncho (rubber, pu, heck there's goretex ponchos) is a good idea. Jacket + wool poncho will leave you carrying around a heavy, moist and barely warming poncho. (Actually, if it's deep winter, you probably don't even need real rain protection, just get a proper jacket.
>>
>>672859
go with a cloak instead. wrap a blanket around your back and head. find a wat yo keep it closed with a belt or someshit. like others said ponchos are good for keeping shade and airflow. not retaining heat.
>>
File: displayimage.jpg (173KB, 515x548px) Image search: [Google]
displayimage.jpg
173KB, 515x548px
Ponchos are already LARPy as fuck so you might as well just wear a capote.
>>
File: capote.jpg (908KB, 1941x3961px) Image search: [Google]
capote.jpg
908KB, 1941x3961px
>>673147
>capote
>>
>>673166
that looks ugly as fuck, but i'll be damned if that isn't fucking cozy as hell.
>>
>>673166
>>673173
Maybe you could hire someone on /cgl/ or /fa/ to make one Yohji style.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=capote&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjG6Ob7gMTKAhWBE6YKHXH4A7cQ_AUIBygB&biw=1233&bih=924#tbm=isch&q=yohji+coat&imgrc=_
>>
>>672859
I have an alpaca wool poncho. It's super comfy and I Wear it in the back yard during cold autumn days in front of a fire, But it's insufficient for actual cold weather, at least Canadian cold weather.
>>
>>673217

Wtf kinda homo queer are you that you would even suggest that?
>>
>>673257
What happens /out/ stays /out/.
>>
>>673147
Like this?
>>
>>673166
>>
File: 7178.jpg (79KB, 500x371px) Image search: [Google]
7178.jpg
79KB, 500x371px
I wish I could get one of these. Arc'teryx made them for homeless out of their scraps.
>>
>>673325
Wait 'til the next homeless thread and arrange for that guy to get you one.
>>
>>673325
>scraps
Those are some mighty big "scraps" of GoreTex.
>>
>>673329
"Called the Birds Nest Project, the annual charity leans on end-of-roll fabric remnants"
>>
>>673332
Huh. Sounds cool regardless, they just look big enough to use for actual garments.

I'm not complaining about charity, if that's what you thought.
>>
>>673337
Some of the remnants might simply be colours they won't need again for a while or at all.
>>
>>673337
Arcteryx have ridiculous quality control, if something is even slightly askew it goes into the trash pile. I bought a bunch of their factory seconds last year which were half off and I still can't tell what was wrong on half of them even though they came with an arrow sticker on the garments indicating what was wrong.
>>
>>673023
>if it's deep winter

Nope, gonna do on spring and there is lots of rain where i hike. Thanks btw.
>>
>>672859
>where it snows heavily? (6")
I legitamitely laughed out loud at that
>>
I bought 2 ponchos when I was in holidays in London and I wish I had bought 10. They are amazing. If I'm at home I throw it on over my pjs and it's super cosy. I put it on over clothes with a jacket over and it adds so much heat it's unreal
>>
>snows heavily
>6"
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.