[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you keep your electronics charged up while /out/ long

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 13

File: solar.jpg (32KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
solar.jpg
32KB, 500x500px
How do you keep your electronics charged up while /out/ long term? I'm talking 4+ days.

I'm thinking of going for solar power with this
http://www.amazon.com/2-Port-Charger-Anker-PowerPort-iPhone/dp/B012YUJJM8

But i'm not sure how reliable things like this are, if i can rely on it to keep my things properly charged up, or whether its just for emergency use. The other option is to take a few fully charged portable chargers but if they break or get used up, you're screwed. There's wind up chargers but none of them have good reviews and it seems like a gimmick.

So i'm not sure. It's pretty important for me to use my tablet while /out/.
>>
>>671643
>millennials
>>
>>671643

I was about to answer you but they you wrote about using your tablet outdoors.

Get fucked OP. Leave electronic shit behind.
>>
>>671647
>he doesn't play Angry Birds innawoods
>>
I use a PowerMonkey Solar Charger thing and it served me well. Kept watch, headlamp, kindle, phone and camera charged. Great for long stays at base camps, cragging trips, etc.

On shorter trip I just carry a power bank.
>>
>>671645
>>671647
Why the hostile attitude?

I have work commitments, also i read on it. What do you do in your tent at night?
>>
>>671653
Learn to play an instrument like Les Stroud
>>
>>671653
Because they're true /out/doorsman who cut their way from the womb with their trusted mora, and spend the first years of their lives sleeping innawoods upon in a patch of poison ivy, blanketed by the furs of countless rabid squirrels who sought to devour them. You fucking city slicker.

On a serious note I couldn't tell you fuckall about solar panels save for that the generally accepted method is to use them to charge a battery pack and then charge your devices from that. A colour tablet with something waterproof to store it in is probably one of the best things you could bring into the wild. Just be sure it's loaded up with books and information pertinent to your locale that'll help you survive (field guides covering edible plants and that also detail their poisonous lookalikes for example).
>>
I bought a solar panel charger a bit like OP's for a swedish canoe trip, to keep cameras and the like charged. It worked well when there was a little sun. Best technique I found was to charge a portable USB battery during the day (just leave it alone and forget about it) and then charge devices from that.

Kept me going abusing the gopro timelapses and shit for a week no problem.
>>
>>671643
>How do you keep your electronics charged up while /out/ long term? I'm talking 4+ days.

leave them at home
>>
>>671647
>>671669
>/thread
>>
>>671647

What is a rechargeable flashlight. What is a ham radio.

I really think half of this board has never been out before.

I personally use the 15w RAV Power panel, easily fits in bag and charges my flashlight, ham radio. Never had any issues with this, but if I am not QRPing then you need something bigger.
>>
>>671643
ebay solar powered battery combo
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>671662
What's a good pack to use /out/ that will fit my instrument?
>>
>>671746
duh

https://youtu.be/ZAtzN_ScKXY
>>
>>671696
>not owning a flashlight with hundreds of hours of battery life
>bringing heavy loud annoying radio into woods to listen to middle aged men ramble about tinfoil hats

why

also, 15w is huge
you could keep a laptop and ceiling lights running 24/7 on that
>>
>>671748
You only get 15w under perfect conditions which is rare.
>>
File: IMG_20130630_170940-L.jpg (150KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20130630_170940-L.jpg
150KB, 800x600px
2000 watts.
Works with or without sun, with or without wind.
A gallon of fuel will run for ~8 hours. I usually take 10-25 gallons of fuel with me depending on the activity.... less in the summer since the dirt bike's not as thirsty as the snowmobile in the winter.

Trailer's got three duplex outlets inside, plus a 20A charger for the house battery. That battery's got 3 cig lighter sockets on a power block on top.

I recently designed/built a 16-port USB charger that plugs into 12v, so with that I can charge phone/tablet/radio/GPS/cameras for about 3 people.

I'm not an "ultralighter". But I have spent more days on the mountain this month than I've spent at home or at work.
>tfw just finished up my 9th day at the office, and i'll be out till 01 Feb

>>671696
>I really think half of this board has never been out before.
Agreed.
>>
Simple.

I charge them fully.
Then turn them off.
Then leave them at home while I go out.

Problem?
>>
>>671751
Obvs
Then you can't microwave your popcorn, duh.
>>
>>671686
Retards
>>
>>671748
Different levels of birghtness for different purposes, different drains as well. Does it really hurt? Also, what are you going to do without a radio and you get hurt? Since people are NO ELECTRONICS obviously no phone. Does it hurt to have access to weather band radio?
>>
>>671750
Great setup. I don't have a trailer or car of my own or I'd opt for something similar.
>>
I hope this is the right thread

Dear /out/,

How do I keep my blankey fresh in the scary outdoors?
>>
File: batteryfordays.jpg (32KB, 556x417px) Image search: [Google]
batteryfordays.jpg
32KB, 556x417px
>>671643

Big fuckin' battery pack. There's ones you can open up and put your own cells in (pictured) usually between 4 and 6 cells depending on which one you get

You can then carry spare sets of cells for it. I find ~5 cells will do one full recharge of my tablet and my phone, and have 15 of them. Enough for 3 days without good sun.
>>
>>671666

Satanic trips speak the truth. A good, high wattage folding solar array plus a high capacity battery pack is basically infinite power for small devices.
>>
File: 040259.png (370KB, 800x437px) Image search: [Google]
040259.png
370KB, 800x437px
>>671643
I have this, 20000mAh and a solar panel that can keep it topped up in sunny weather.
>>
>>671647
>>671669
Do you guys really go out with no means of communication to the outside world.

Or even a camera.
>>
>>671908

He only said tablets are frivolous. He said nothing about smartphones, which include both of the things you listed and more.

It is generally accepted here that a smartphone is a justifiable thing to take /out/ because of its utility. A tablet is not. It offers nothing a smartphone doesn't except a large screen for stuff like video and games, while using considerably more power.
>>
>>671909
My phone is old and sucks.

But i don't think there should be an approved list of technology allowed and not allowed. People can take what they want, snobbery is stupid. If i want my tablet I'll take my tablet.
>>
>>671911

I'm not here to judge your lifestyle choices. I think it's brave of you to live that way openly, and I'm sure the world will only grow more tolerant of people like you.
>>
>>671643
When out, phone is only for emeregncies, checking once/twice a fay if you received any super important massages and SMSing someone you made the day healthy and safe - All together it shouldnt take more than 5-10 percents of any smartphone battery.

Watching videos and movies is an indoor activity, give it up when out.
>>
>>671885
does it work to charge via solar?
>>
>>671927
> obvious built in solar panel is obvious

Those have serious issues topping off a charge, but _can_ charge or maintain a charge.

With all the hate itt for electrons while /out/, I'm not sure if I want to pic related...
>>
>>671908
>Do you guys really go out with no means of communication to the outside world.

A phone is not very hard to "keep charged". Just turn it off.

but you probably need to play "angry birds" and read your blagosphere updates on yours
>>
>>671934
niceme.me
>>
>>671933
I think electronics hate is a knee jerk reaction by some people who feel like they are superior for rejecting them.

I don't see much difference between taking a tablet or a book though. Except a tablet lets you do a lot more. Maybe i see a cool plant and want to know what it is, or want to learn a language while out, or anything.
>>
>>671643
Most electronic devices you really need innawoods like a kestrel meter or GPS have swappable batteries, I just bring a bunch.

I also bring a charging pack just for my phone, it will hold a charge equivalent to about 1.5 times the capacity of my phone . I rarely use it since I keep my phone off unless It's an emergency.
>>
Does anyone charge with an Eton crank radio? Was thinking of getting one. I'm concerned it takes too long and has durablilty issues.
>>
>>671952>>671952
Get a panel and a reliable battery. Most batteries will charge a phone/flashlight/hand transceiver multiple times. Aim for 15-20k mah or so fo a compact setup. Make sure you read the reviews for a prospective battery, there are ons of Chinese fakes out there.
>>
>>671908
>communication
There is no coverage when you really get /out/
>>
>>671989
Satellites are everywhere dude.
>>
>>671962
It works better than your crank radio, or is it just more durable?
>>
What type of batteries to hold the charge?
>>
>>671643
i literally have that exact solar panel and an Anker E7 28600mah portable battery.
>>
>>671992
And they work for satellite phones iirc
I'm not going to all that hassle and expense just to call my mommy from the backcountry
>>
>>671989
Sat phones and ham can almost always hit something. Smarter than not to bring something,especially if headed somewhere truly remote.

>>671996
The vast majority of crank anything is only as useful as the crank arm length and durability of the crank hardware. The smaller you get, the less sturdy and less power you get per stroke. One of the big things when out is being able to passively generate net positives for you without expending time and energy. Trapping, solar, fish nets etc are all practical examples of this.
>>
sabved
>>
>>671908
my camera uses aaa batteries, and sometimes i bring my cell phone for emergencies, but unless i need a helicopter it stays off.
>>
File: 61hC3fzqlkL._SL1200_.jpg (93KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
61hC3fzqlkL._SL1200_.jpg
93KB, 1200x1200px
Anybody tried one of these?

http://www.amazon.com/BioLite-BL-CSA-Wood-Burning-Campstove/dp/B00BQHET9O
>>
>>671643
I carry an extra phone battery just in case. The only time i use my phone is for emergency or occasional navigation with backcountry navigator app. (to see my location, topography of trails to come, how far ive traveled or have yet to travel). Also i take pictures. Other times it is on airplane mode or completely off. With an extra battery and energy conservation I have lasted 5 days. If a solar charger is worth it to you, then get one. But i wouldnt try to cheap out on something like that. get a decent Goalzero, i hear they make great solar devices.
>>
>>671653
>What do you do in your tent at night
I have animalistic sex with my gf, obviously. Why not leave work at home and tell your boss to stay the fuck out of your life for a few days?
>>
>>675514

Ppffhahhaha
>>
>>672120
>Anker

My African American brother. Solid choice for a prebuilt. But you can get an 18650 case that fits up to 6 cells and outputs to USB for less money, even with top shelf cells. We're talking 7-8 smartphone charges if you use Panasonic ncr18650b or Sanyo 18650ga.
>>
>>671653
Do you get paid for the hours you spend working on your days off?

No?

Then don't do it.
>>
>>675554
Because i am the boss and only i can do the orders. I don't mind doing it but i have to do it.
>>675578
If i don't then no stock will come in that day to sell.
>>
>>671643
I don't. I use an oil lamp for light. That's all.

If I have to have something for non-recreational purposes then I'd use a combination of solar, wind, and mechanical-human-power. The latter 2 would be combined. It is was something low power, I'd use one of those thermoelectric generators where you burn wood in it to make some power. The latest generation ones are okay for phone charging, but that's about it. Older generation ones are just shit.

Don't rely on 1 type of charging source.

>>671885
>20000mAh

Just say 20Ah.
>>
>>676060
So train someone else to cover them. Suppose you got in a car accident or something, would you want operations to grind to a halt because nobody else could write orders?
>>
>>671647

you are a fucking retard if you dont bring a 2in1 intel atom x5 tablet with you, nigga

that shit plays games senpai
>>
>>675565
Well honestly I didn't even think of that, and now I feel kinda dumb because I already have a bunch of 18650s.

But, I am pretty pleased with the Anker. Build quality is superb, and it's relatively small and compact. Kept my phone, GoPro and DSLR charged for a 6 day backpacking trip. I got the solar panel too for an upcoming 9 day trek in Patagonia. Can't take the risk of not being able to take pictures!
>>
Powertraveller gear.
>>
>>676227
I'm not sure you know how small businesses work.
>>
>>671643

When I hike I leave my cell phone off. My camera battery lasts on the order of a month. My e-reader battery is good for ~1.5 weeks of regular usage.

When I bike for months at a time I use a Feeloader Pro solar panel. I've met people who use big panels like yours. The only reason to do so is if you use something power-hungry like a tablet or smartphone all the time.

On a bike which will spend long hours exposed to the sun every day and can handle extra weight with little issue, a solar panel can be a practical tool. Doubly so if you're traveling internationally and don't want to deal with outlets or sketchy/expensive charging opportunities. On foot they're more trouble than they're worth.
>>
>>676947

Freeloader pro has tiny panels. I find 5 watts is the minimum you can get away with to charge a smartphone in a reasonable amount of time.

Sunlabz has a flexible 7 watt panel with metal eyelets so you can fasten it to your bike or backpack, you should look into it. Brunton's flexible panels are more durable but you pay a premium for it.
>>
File: stop.jpg (159KB, 627x468px) Image search: [Google]
stop.jpg
159KB, 627x468px
>>675514
>>
I use an Instapark Mercury 10 (watt) solar panel. I have it as a way to charge rechargable batteries in conjuction with a usb powered smart charger. I also have an anker battery. This all allows me to have "off grid" ham radio/ emcomms
>>
The only electronic device I bring is my smartphone. I charge it up before I leave, keep it connected to the charger in the truck on the drive there, and then turn it off once I arrive to the trailhead or whatever. I'll turn it on a few times a day to check for messages, look at my email, and check the weather but then it gets turned off again. It can hold a charge for over a week if I only have it turned on for like 20-30 minutes a day.
>>
>>671653
>also i read on it
Get an e-reader, battery can last you up to a month if you use it daily.
>>
>>671992
Certain areas only. A lot of places have no service, atleast when using an ordinary phone
>>
>>680794
If my iPhone doesn't have cell service, it uses satellites to triangulate where I am and shows this on google maps, even if the map is pixleated..
>>
Well OP here, i bought the thing. I'll unbox it or whatever for you guys if you like, when it arrives.

I've decided i also want to do some cycling traveling and i think it will be real helpful for that too.
>>
It got delivered today. It's pretty small actually and not heavy at all. I'll take some pics.
>>
File: 1452484088439.gif (277KB, 610x862px) Image search: [Google]
1452484088439.gif
277KB, 610x862px
>>671643
>How do you keep your electronics charged up while /out/ long term?

gr8b8m88/8
>>
File: DSCN0025.jpg (289KB, 1031x773px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0025.jpg
289KB, 1031x773px
>>680980
>>683111
It's tiny really, folds to the thickness of a short novel too.
>>
File: DSCN0022.jpg (265KB, 1031x773px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN0022.jpg
265KB, 1031x773px
>>683125
It's not too big when opened up, should fit onto most packs.

It weighs 0.45KG overall as well.

I haven't began using it for charge yet, it's night time now, but I'd already recommend it if you have electronics you need to keep charged while out. Especially for touring and such. It's really light and folds up very compact that it should slip into the tightest of packs.
>>
>>671643
This is a little cheaper and looks similar OP

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B011UH0ZCY/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2OZK5AB7I451X&coliid=I2H2N1CRLL12N4
>>
Is there a short dumb idiot solar panel to usable power guide? I'm looking at solar panels and the ones that don't feel like dumb scams for plebs don't have any kind of built in battery or electrical outlet. What does a basic expandable setup look like? For /out/ purposes or not.
>>
>>683222
You're supposed to use your own battery. Solar panels aren't battery packs they're just a means to make power.
>>
>>683290
Yeah, but how do I figure out what battery to use and connect it to a solar panel without fucking up everything?
>>
>>683292
Well i guess the first question would be what do you need to power.
>>
File: SolarforMorons.jpg (210KB, 1500x913px) Image search: [Google]
SolarforMorons.jpg
210KB, 1500x913px
>>683222
>don't have any kind of built in battery or electrical outlet.

You need to buy a controller, a battery and a power inverter.
>>
>>676717
I'm not sure you know how small businesses grow
>>
>>683503
>says the armchair survivalist to the small business owner
>>
>>683503
Not by stopping all the orders for a week or leaving them up to people who don't understand what to do.
>>
>>675514

I got one for the hell of it since I had an amazon gift card. It actually does work, but is way the hell more trouble than it's worth.
>>
>>671940

People on 4chan are just retarded and usually can't imagine anything outside of their limited experiences.

>>675578

Some of us have jobs that actually affect people, and can't just put shit off like a fucking burger flipper. I don't blame someone for going out, and taking some work with them in order to avoid a complete shit show on return.
>>
>>672382
So if a storm blows in,the clouds cover up the sun, I miss the severe weather alert and die in a flash flood.

That is very unfortunate.
>>
>>671653
>What do you do in your tent at night?
read a book and hang around with my dog
>>
>>671876

li-po china powerbanks are better
you get tons of mAh for dirt cheap

even though the listed mAh is always bullshit
the real mAh is still plenty great

li-po has the best weight to mAh ratio too
>>
>>676977
My Freeloader Pro has been sufficient for my purposes. I don't see any reason to get something bigger, heavier and more expensive.
>>
>>671940
>I think electronics hate is a knee jerk reaction by some people who feel like they are superior for rejecting them.

No, it most definitely is not. You are taking a fragile device that costs many hundreds of dollars into the wilderness that loses a lot of its functionality once you really get out (internet connection) and can lose all of its functionality when the battery dies. But it can be recharged thanks to solar panels, but then you have to spend hours babysitting this tablet while it charges so no one runs off with it or nothing falls on it or whatever. Your outdoors experience changes to revolve around this thing, this device for media consumption.

When I was a ranger at Philmont one of the adults brought his phone on the trek eben though we very strongly suggest they get left behind. Instead of spending time with the crew, enjoying the staff camps, or even just enjoying the beautiful scenery (this was in the south so nothing was destroyed in the Ponil fire) he was doing work. In the middle of the mountains. On the vacation he paid thousands of dollars for.

So no, I don't feel superior to you for not taking a tablet out. I pity you because you can't go a couple days without the damn thing.

Phones or radios are perfectly fine because having an emergency plan is the most important thing, and you need communication in order to have an emergency plan.
>>
>>685856
You're imaging people who take something like that out are a facebook addict who can't go a day without checking their social media or checking the news. The reality is people are just using a modern marvel of technology to do things everyone does has always done out, like read or learn something, so rather than lugging a shit load of books around you have one small thing and a charging system which is a wise choice on any long trip to begin with.
>>
>>685860
No, I am imagining someone is using a $500 device that is useless after ten hours to do the job of a $13 paperback. If the extra .25kg is really tipping the scales for you there probably are other problems with your kit. Even a Kindle or other e-reader is leaps and bounds more useful than a tablet when out.
>>
>>685862
I would also like to point out that a the solar panel OP bought, just the method for recharging his tablet, weighs almost as much as two 600 page paperback books (7"x4.25") It's such a non-solution to a non-issue that there's just no justification for it.
Thread posts: 94
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.