[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sup /out/ I have plenty of hiking and backcountry navigation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: Aonach_Eagach_1.jpg (169KB, 650x433px) Image search: [Google]
Aonach_Eagach_1.jpg
169KB, 650x433px
Sup /out/

I have plenty of hiking and backcountry navigation experience, but no mountaineering experience whatsoever.

How fucked would I be if I were to spend a week in the Scottish Highlands, doing stuff such as traversing Aonach Eagach?
>>
I wanna do the exact same thing. When are you planning it?
>>
>>671320
Late April/early May, or in August. Not sure yet.
>>
>>671329
Am i retarded for wanting to hike Scotland in February.
>>
>>671311
does anything you want to do require technical climbing (ropes and pro), or is it just exposed difficult scrambling that can be accomplished by more or less anyone with a little care and a level head?
>>
>>671366
Most of Scotland is hillwalking.
>>
>>671376
i'm aware. that's part if the reason i wanted clarification on what op meant by mountaineering. but thanks for interjecting with something completely useless.

also
>scotland doesn't make the most lunatic fucking climbers on earth
here's plenty of technical stuff to do there if you're willing to let the world think you're mental
>>
>>671384
OP here. I mean mountaineering in a very broad sense. I've zero experience with anything other than using my feet to walk.

Just found this video (should probably have thought about that before making this thread, though): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voMwEjs-oeg. Looks doable and only slightly intimidating.
>>
>>671394
you'll be fine. just use your fucking head and don't let your pride overcome common sense.
>>
>>671311
Aonach Eagach is rated as a grade 2 scramble (according to a quick googling anyways) so it'd probably not the best thing to try as a first go at that sort of thing. Try a couple grade 1 jobbies first.
>>
>>671311
>mountains
>scotland
choose one
>>
People do die in the Scottish highlands every year, but I guess I don't know exactly what the dangers are.
I've been caught in snowstorms in Scotland in April, so I guess there's a danger if you're unsure of the seasonal weather. And if you're only 95% prepared to keep your stuff dry in continuous wind and rain, I guess that's a 5% chance of hypothermia.
But it's not like you're ever more than a day's walk from civilisation. Heavy fog is your biggest enemy in that situation.
The sublimity of the highlands will make you weep, but there's no serious danger if you're not a complete noob.
I laughed my ass off at the Man vs Wild episode in Scotland. Yeah sliding down a scree field is definitely the best way to descend a mountain, dickbag.
>>
Has anyone climbed the Black Cuillin? I blazed my own trail up about 95% of it, then bitched out since my knees were shaking so hard I was afraid I was gonna fall. If there was a non-technical route up to the summit, I missed it.
One of the best views I've ever seen in Scotland, though.
>>
>>671527
I nearly got to the summit of Sgurr Alasdair but I didn't have a helmet and there was a lot of loose scree on an extremely steep slope so I decided to turn back. This was lucky because as I was descending the top of the mountain completely clouded over and it began raining even though there were clear, sunny skies less than an hour earlier.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.