[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fishing & Tackle Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 319
Thread images: 87

File: image.jpg (286KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
286KB, 1200x1200px
#2 is at the limit >>663876

So here's to #3

Only a few weeks until my first Mystery Tackle Box! Whatever shill they sent to the last thread really did get us good.
>>
>>670709
Be sure to show what you get Pepsi!
Also, do you happen to know much about rainbow trout? As in, what kinda lures should I acquire for it?
>>
>>670728
Rainbows are all I fish for, where/when will you be targeting them?

I've always done best fishing bows with roe.
>>
>>670709
>Mystery Tackle Box
I saw that in the last thread and I'm thinking I'm going to do both (MTB & Lucky tackle), 1 for Salt and 1 for fresh
I looked at a few of the past boxes on LT and they looked pretty good. I didn't look at MTB yet because you have to put an email addy in to see theirs and I'm not sure yet which person I feel like being for fishing stuff/spam
>>
>>670728
I will def post what I get. Ships Feb 10th from Chicago. Too bad I don't still live up there, I would probably get it the 11th. But then wouldn't be able to use it until April.

I think another anon or two also subscribed. I want to see what they got as well since I paid an extra $10 for the "Pro" package the first month. If it is worth it, maybe I will do that package for the next couple months.

Also, sorry, I don't know shit about trout. I hear they like bright stuff tho.
>>
>>670736
If you do MTB, make sure you use that code for $10 off

GET499

I tried using it on a panfish box too but wasn't happening
>>
>>670734
The west, northern California. I've got a couple lures but I'm not too versed in my fishing knowledge yet, so any tips or pointers or even opinions is great. Thanks in advance
>>
>>670743
Does the code work on any of the packages?
>>
>>670751
Yes. It gives you $10 off the first month. So my 3-month package was like $33.
>>
>>670743
Both LT and MTB have the $5 first month depending on which package you select. The code will get you 10 off at LT so if you go salt at 19.99 it's 9.99 for the 1st month.

I read a shitload of reviews last night and what I gleaned was LT fixed their issues of tossing in sample packages and are including full packs now on soft baits.
LT is supposedly a PIA to cancel or if you don't get your package but if you are persistent you will either get your merch or they will cancel you.
>>
File: image.jpg (781KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
781KB, 3264x2448px
I'm so confused. I was just fishing at this lake by these corporate building. The edge of the water is maybe 50' from the parking lot. 2 security guards in theiir little golf cart drive up to the edge of the parking lot, out of the corner of my eye I see them try to hop a little parking block to get into the grass. The golf cart didn't make it, and dudes just drove away back to the building.

I thought for sure I was getting kicked out. I don't know what they were trying to do. But I left just in case and went down the street.

Pic kinda related. Spotted gar with its head just dug into the weeds. I pulled a lure right over it and it didn't even move.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Mepps™, the magic lure
>>
I lost my Mepps and there is no place near me that sells them.

Are the Worden's rooster tails any good?
>>
>>670844
That's a nice panfish. Are you gonna eat it?
>>
File: Oh baby.jpg (107KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
Oh baby.jpg
107KB, 960x540px
Hello handsome
>>
>>670728
I worked/work for a fish hatchery that raises browns rainbows, brookeies, tigers, and occationally sea runn browns

Rainbows are most picky but get the fattest
Around here people get browns with shiny and rainbows with live bait
Though I've caught my share of rainbows on spinners
>>
M-m-m-m-money shot
>>
>>670864
Do you believe something like Pepsi's Mepps would do any good?
>>
SVS gets it's own special page on the instructions? How hard is it to understand.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>670850
Rooster tails are decent. They will run slightly deeper than Mepps Agilas tho so just remember that.

>>670852
Nah I tossed it back. I'm just amazed I hooked that thing on a Mepps #3. They's a big lure for the small mouth in that bluegill.

>>670858
Noice. Did you buy it online?
>>
>>670867
Wat rod and line are you running with it?
>>
>>670874
ofc I only leave my room to go fishing.
Typical shimano including lube and brakes
>>
Is using baitcasters hard? I've used spinning reels all my life.
>>
>>670876
7/6" mh fast action for all things inshore plastics. It's my halibut/spotted bay bass/kelp rod. I'm planning on building a 7'2" medium fast action blank for smaller fish tho.
Ain't it a beauty.
>>
>>670879
Baitcasters are the shit man. All the pros use them dood.
It's hard for like the first couple of times. The hardest part for me was realizing I can't cast smaller lures easily, but once I started saltwater I needed more power and forced myself to use it. They are very accurate and allow a greater degree of control-just forget about throwing anything under 3/16 unless you have a dedicated Bait Finesse reel and a great rod.
>>
File: IMG_20150511_133940067.jpg (3MB, 2432x4320px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150511_133940067.jpg
3MB, 2432x4320px
>>670868
Definatley, inline spinners (on the small side) are great for trout , you can tip them with a bit of worm if you want , the other thing I have found that works well is a small jig head floated under a float with a worm trailing
The worm flutters in the current and gets strikes alot of the time

This being said I'm much more of a bass fisherman then a trout fisherman though I certainly don't do too bad trout wise
>>
>>670879
They aren't really hard to use, but you need practice with them. Plus with all the brakes and adjustments, there is a bit more to them compared to a spinning reel.

For fishing with lures that weigh 1/2oz+, baitcasters are nice. If you know what you are doing, they will cast further and smoother and hold up to some abuse.
>>
>>670881
Wat brand rod? And which website did you use?

When I bought that Revo SX, I bought it off Sportsman's Outfitters but through eBay. It was only $115 from them on eBay and goes for $160 everywhere else, even their regular website.

I would love to build a baitcaster that could throw 1/8oz lures...
>>
>>670891
It's an academy ethos rod. Great bang for your buck rod, but it leaves a little to be desired for sensitivity. I bought the citica from ebay too, there are tatulas going for under 100. Crazy good deals.
You can definitely throw 1/8 oz lures, but be prepared to fork over a ton of cash man. I think the best "budget" BFS reel is actually the shimano brenious or a used chronarc/curado 50e. Get an aftermarket spool and some hawgtechs and bam you have a nice rig.
>>
Lewd internals. SVS looks sick bruh.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
Pic related is "Pepsi's Patented Pond Fishing Choice Hard Baits" just for people wondering what I would normally use at a random little pond or lake. I was carrying that little box around tonight instead of my whole bag. Only regret was not bringing a slighly larger and deeper diving crankbait, only because the second lake I was at has some big drop-offs.

>>670918
Neither of my Abus even have those brakes inside. They both have the magnetic brakes.

I was a little disappointed when I finally took the side off the reel and was getting ready to play with them. All of the Abus under $200 will come with one or the other brake system. The Revo S for ~$130 has the typical brakes like that Shimano, but no magnetic. The Revo SX for ~$160 has the magnetic brake, but no centrifugal. Then the $200 Revo Winch is one of the cheapest with their "Infini" drag system with both the magnetic and centrifugal. The $300+ reels all have the "Infini" system I think. The magnetic system is fine by me so far, but next casting reel I'll probably grab one with the traditional brakes just to play around with them.
>>
There's a black/red Abu Garcia bait caster at walmart for 40 bucks. Would it be worth getting if I want to try a baitcaster or are the cheap ones pure trash?
>>
>>670925
SVS infinity is supposed to be the shit. I'll try it out tomorrow after lecture with 10lb big game. Stoked as fuck.
>>670929
Donut get a shitty baitcaster. Worst mistake was when I got a black max. That's probably the same reel. Save up and get something under 100 from ebay. Don't get discouraged from a shitty reel.
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>670929
The Black Max? Grab it, throw it on an Ugly Stik and give it a try. No need to spend $150 on your first baitcaster only to find out you prefer spinning reels.

I bought an Abu Silver Max as my first baitcaster. They are only $60, or on sale for $50 sometimes. I have no complaints. It isn't as smooth or light as the one that costs 3x as much, but I haven't had any problems.

Just make sure you don't go crazy heavy on the line if you don't need it. If you put 20lb mono and come back complaining that baitcasters don't cast well, that is your problem.
>>
>>670938
Idk, those cheaper Abus aren't that bad. But I don't think anon should spend an arm and a leg if he isn't sure about the baitcasters. He also has to buy a rod for it, and if he hates baitcasters, he won't be able to use the rod on a spinning reel.

I own 2 baitcasters and 7 (was 10 before I gave a few to my bro) spinning reels. I really don't use the baitcasters that much because I use a lot of lighter tackle. I still prefer spinning for most days.

And if anon likes the baitcasters, he can ask for a nice one for his birthday or some shit.
>>
>>670947
No you're right, it was my ego speaking. I just had a bad experience with my first baitcaster which was a black max. I find that with baitcasters, there's a huge difference in prices and quality once you get past the $90 dollar mark.
I think the best thing to do if you're unsure about a baitcaster is to ask a friend or someone to lend them a setup for a day or two. Get a feel for it, then get a quality reel.
>>
>>670951
That is true. If he wants to go slightly better, I would say keep an eye out for a Bass Pro sale. He could probably get a $70 BPS reel and $40 BPS rod for like $80 on sale, and that $70 Bass Pro reel is probably close in performance to an $80 or $90 reel from a brand like Shimano, Daiwa, Abu, etc.

He needs to read reviews first tho. You can always see common problems with reels from the reviews.
>>
>>670728
>>670747
Fly-fishing.

Objectively the best way to catch salmonids, period.
>>
>>670961
But I'm looking for trout.. Not salmon
>>
>>670963
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salmonidae
>Salmonidae is a family of ray-finned fish, the only living family currently placed in the order Salmoniformes. It includes salmon, trout, chars, freshwater whitefishes, and graylings, which collectively are known as the salmonids.
>>
File: 20151110_175449.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20151110_175449.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
>>670918

Nice reel shimanobro
>>
>>670998
I was going to go curado, but I liked the finish on the citica better lol.
>>
>>671018

I got the curado for saltwater fishing actually haha. Porgy, fluke, sea bass etc. Im gonna give it some freshwater use this year. The only other baitcasters I have are the black max and okuma stratus v. They both work, but the curado is butter in comparison.
>>
>>671074
The difference between curado and citica this year is damn near zero. Same spool, same gears, same frame, same fuckin everything except for name and bearings. I do a lot of saltwater too but have never had bearings fail. Then again, I never dunk my reel. I'm glad they included shielded stainless bearings. Good enough for me.
>>
>>671084

Just rinse in clean water after each salt use and your good. Clean and lube regularly lol. I didnt see a citica when I bought the curado. I actually talked myself out of a calcutta haha
>>
File: conquest50.jpg (61KB, 400x299px) Image search: [Google]
conquest50.jpg
61KB, 400x299px
>>671092
To have a calcutta conquest 50....with x ship, svs, and a shallow spool. Oh that will be the day.
>>
>>670965
I was kinda hoping it was just me being ignorant haha. Thanks for that bit of info!
>>
Bad day >:(
Low tide and crazy surf means it's hard to get to the target zone.
>>
I'm new to fishing.

If I'm going for channel cats, what bait and setup should I use? I tried soaking a few chopped hotdogs soaked in garlic powder, hot sauce, onion powder, and mustard. I left it out in the sun for a few hours, then froze them.

They wouldn't stay on the hook, and much less, I didn't even get any bites!

I know catfish are olfactory hunters and bottom feeders. So should I put a heavy ass egg and let it sink?
>>
>>671685

Can you cast to the backside of those waves? Gamefish love the foam/white water after a breaking wave.
>>
>>671710
Also what time of day is best, and would it be better to fish off the boardwalk at my park or rent a kayak?
>>
>>
File: IMG_20160122_180201.jpg (936KB, 2304x2304px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160122_180201.jpg
936KB, 2304x2304px
Had some luck trying out a few new lures today
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>671710
For channel cats, I would use stinkbait specifically for cats, or else chicken livers or good ol' nightcrawlers. On the bottom of course, you can toss a big weight up a foot or two up the line from the hook.

I posted these catfish stink bait rids in another thread, they basically have a sponge on a treble hook that soaks up the stink bait (if you get the real gooey bait). Otherwise the dough balls can go on a regular treble hook. Cats have pretty big mouths, so you can use a decent size hooks, it will give you a better chance of setting the hook right.

>>671714
Dawn and dusk are best for most fishing, but catfish normally bite best at night.

When fishing for cats, just toss out the bait with a heavy weight and no bobber (treble hook for stinkbaits or regular for nightcrawlers or chicken livers). Lots of people will leave the bail open and just wait for the line to start getting pulled out. I normally close the bail and reel a little slack out of the line so it is a little easier tell if something nibbles, but be careful not to pull the hook and bait into some mud hole or something if you do that. Either way, with bail open or close, don't set the hook until the fish really has the bait in it's mouth and takes off with it.

And with catfish and leaving hooks on the bottom, it never hurts to use more than one rod for better chances. Just don't get them tangled or lose one when not paying attention.
>>
>>671734
I wish I could've gone out today, it was nice and rainy. And since I had Monday off for the holiday, I'm stuck working tomorrow and won't be able to go out. Sucks. I need to take a week of vacation and go fishing the entire time.
>>
File: image.jpg (172KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
172KB, 500x750px
>>671710
>>671740
Pic related shows the stink bait rigs for catfish. They are the red things at the bottom. Basically a treble hook with a sponge, and a little foam tube over it to soak up the bait.

These are good for the stink bait that comes in the jars and is almost like peanut butter. There is a different type of stink bait that comes in a bag of small balls that are like cookie dough, and I normally just use a regular treble hook for those. But I prefer the peanut butter stuff in the jar over the dough balls. Just jam a stick in the end of that foam tube, coat the hook, sponge, and foam tube in stinky catfish food; and cast that fucker out there. If nothing bites within ~30min, I will normally reel in the line and coat the rig with more bait since it slowly dissolves away.
>>
File: received_1006755012697084.jpg (40KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
received_1006755012697084.jpg
40KB, 960x540px
>>671713
Yup, did everything. Waves were cray cray. I was wading waist deep, changed up lures multiple times. It was low tide too. We caught nothing.
But dude the new I series can fuckin launch them.
>>
>>671685
>>671713
>>671752

I can help you need some info.

1. where are you located
2. have you casted in surf before
3. are you prepared to get wet
4. did you tell your mom where you went fishing.

answer those questions and I can help you catch more fish based on the information you provide, surf casting is a bit different, requires different gear and know-how then normal freshwater fishing, which I assume you are used to considering your tackle.
>>
>>671754
1. I'm in socal
2. Yes, mostly for surfperch and halibut
3. Always
4. I tell my international roommate in my best sichuan accent
>>
>>671761
what are you targeting in socal surf right now? and with that tackle
>>
>>671765
Surfperch on carolina rigs and halibut on paddletails and big hammers. Can't fins sand crabs even in low tide, getting me mad.
>>
>>671766
so you know exactly what you are doing.

carry on, btw what reel are you using? I'm looking at using a baitcaster to build a light tackle flounder rig for real close to shore fishing, looking for a small bait caster that performs well in salt water.
>>
>>671767
>so you know exactly what you are doing
Gud one
That's the citica I that was posted earlier. This thing can bomb them, no effort. Get a citica, tatula, or curado. All will serve you well.
>>
>>671710
Dont listen to these guys. If you wanna catch 6 inch catfish, use stinkbait and treble hooks. If you wanna catch something worth catching, use pieces of cut bluegill or small bluegill on a live bait rig.
Pic related
>>
>>671742
Didn't think I would get to go out today either but it cleared up for an hour or two. Was thinking about taking a week off and driving out to Key West for a fishing trip, camping is dirt cheap down there
>>
>>671775
thinking about going down there and booking a charter any recommendations?
>>
>>671773
That'a probably the way to to if you're not fishing in little shit suburban ponds like me. Although dude did say channel cats... But you could still get those on half a small bluegill.
>>
>>671775
Shit, I'll go down to the Keys with you for a weekend. Just get a motel room or something.

Plus all dem gay bars in Key West ;^)
>>
>>671811
Motel rooms in key West run around $300 a night for a shitty place. Not really into the whole gay scene though. The drag shows are pretty cool, saw a dude do a backflip in 6 inch heels last time I was there
>>
>>671790
Haven't had a chance to do any off shore fishing down there. I've heard good things about cowboy charter though
>>
File: image.jpg (951KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
951KB, 3264x2448px
>>671814
Damn, I know we have a Key West route where the driver stays in a Marriott in Marathon for two nights a week. It can't be that expensive if Pepsi is willing to pay for it.

I had a chance to take that route. Be in the keys every week from Monday to Wednesday. But I really like sleeping in my own bed, so I stayed on my normal route.

Are you the anon who lives in Kendall or some shit? I would seriously be down to do a day trip out to the Keys. It isn't that bad of a drive. Even if it were some shit like leaving at 2am on a Sat Morning so there is time to get all set up for some early morning fishin' and then head back to the mainland in the evening.

And I was just kidding about the gay stuff, but this is 4chan.
>>
>>671903
Marathon isn't that expensive, prices skyrocket once you get on the island.

I'd be down for a weekend trip, I'm near Daytona so it's only like a 7 hour drive for me. Gotta wait until I ditch this beater I've been driving though
>>
sheeit we should have a key west meetup this summer, we can call up pete miller, get a charter and go slay some billfish.

I'm serious. even if we don't have a meetup I'll be in that area strictly to fish in the months ahead.
>>
>>672091
Damn, so you have a trek. If you ever want to do it, I'm by like Ft. Lauderdale so if your shitbox can make it that far, you could always leave it at my house and take my car the rest of the way.

>>672092
Hell yes
>>
>>672096
I could probably make it to ft. Lauderdale, I'm down for whenever
>>
>>672092
who the fuck goes to Florida in the summer?
>>
>>672116
Damn, now I'm really thinkin about going through wih this.

I drive an Escape too, so it's easy enough to get long fishing poles in it, especially with the back seats folded.

>>672117
Hotels are cheaper at least.
>>
Anyone do nearshore (pier/surf) saltwater fishing here?
>>
File: image.jpg (180KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
180KB, 640x1136px
>>672145
I need to start.
>>
>>672138
>Hotels are cheaper
point....
>>
File: 20151005_215957-1.jpg (4MB, 2924x1710px) Image search: [Google]
20151005_215957-1.jpg
4MB, 2924x1710px
>>672145

Long island surf guy here. Just getting started last year and this comming season.
>>
>>672158
So what kind of rig do you run with those dressed jig heads? And you just huck them out as far as possible from the beach? What method do you use for retrieving them?
>>
File: IMG_20151214_243637483.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151214_243637483.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
>>672162
Dude "dressed jig heads"

Those are Bucktails...

And no you don't "Huck" it takes a lot of finesse

Here is my surf tackle.
>>
>>672172
This is why I fish freshwater. There is so much I don't know.
>>
File: 20151229_222332.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20151229_222332.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
>>672172

Nice, very similar setup. Needs more gibbs and super strike although, so do I haha.

>>672162

Yeah we call em bucktails up here. The most versatile lure in existence in my opinion. You can drift fish em on the bottom from a boat, fish em from the beach, in the surf, through rips. Bays, ocean, sound. They come in every size, color, shape, and hook size you can wish for. Retrieve is dependent on area and conditions. I recommend reading "fishing the bucktail" by John Skinner. He has a youtube channel dedicated to illustrating his books as well. He can explain it better than I ever can.

Let me put it this way, there is one lure they goes in the NAVY SEALS survival kit. Its a bucktail. At least thats what ive heard haha.
>>
>>672172
How do you work a bucktail from the top of a pier? Any tips?
>>
>>672176
freshwater fish taste sluggy and bland though :[
>>
File: IMG_20151223_174449788.jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151223_174449788.jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
>>672179
Just got my 6500ssv BLS

I think we chatted in the first thread.

Are we the only surf casters on this board?
>>
>>672176
It's all the same anon. Only thing that changes is size
>>
>>672180

It really depends. Whats the structure like? Rocks, sand etc...whats the water movement like? Does the current run hard, slow. How does the tide effect water movement? Is there heavy surf?

Without knowing those things the only advice I can give, is grab two bucktails. 1oz and 2oz. White color. Cast around and try and understand whats on the bottom rocks/sand/grass etc. You want to slowly swim the bucktail just off the bottom. Slower the better. Use the smallest size you can while casting as far as you need to. Use the navionics web app to check out the bottom contours. Holes and sandbars are a good place to start.

Also. Read Skinners book lol.
>>
>>672183

We sure did lol. Whats the advantage of bailless? That it doesnt surprise trip on hard casts? The spinfisher is pretty hard to trip, I wouldnt imagine it being a problem.
>>
File: old man and da sea.jpg (212KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
old man and da sea.jpg
212KB, 960x720px
The sea was violent this morning. The red line is where it usually is at low tide. I was getting my rig caught too many times.
>>
>>672227
It's been really windy here today. I kinda wanted to go out fishing after work, but I decided just to chill instead. I imagine the surf is real choppy tho, the canals and ponds looked like a handful.

It's supposed to calm down overnight and a cold front is coming through. It's gonna be in the 40s tonight, which is like the one cold front a year that gets so cold. I'm debating trying to go out tomorrow morning, but I want to sleep in on my one day off this weekend. Fuck working Saturdays.
>>
>>672233
How old are you pepsifag?
>>
>>672302

Too old to be on 4chan
>>
>>672305
There's people here that are in their 50's senpai.
>>
>>672306
I know. But sometimes I hear people say some really ignorant shit, and then remember that a good portion of 4chan is high school kids. Or like sheltered 19 year old college freshman with rich parents who think they understand how the world works.
>>
File: ohmeow~.jpg (123KB, 468x344px) Image search: [Google]
ohmeow~.jpg
123KB, 468x344px
>tfw your shimano sahara comes in and you turn it for the first time
>>
>>672309
I've been looking at those. I think next spinning reel I get will be a Shimano. Dude at Bass Pro was saying he loved his Symetre or however it is spelled.

Next casting reel will probably be a Daiwa.

If I see a deal I can't refuse, those choices go out the window.
>>
>>672306
I'd be one of those....
>>
>>672313
/out/ doesn't seem so bad. My main board, /o/, isn't terrible either but def lots of 16-22. /b/ is just retarded. And I lurked /mu/ for a couple weeks hoping it was actually musicians, and that is def a bunch of children.
>>
>>672313
I think you meant to quote >>672309

I think you would look great as a fluffy cat man, anon.
>>
>>672312
I have a Shimano Socorro 8000 on my pier rod and it's pretty good for $65 tbqh. What brand are you using now? All my rods have a Penn or Shimano on them.
>>
>>672318
>you will never experience the feeling of just pulling out a whisker when ever you need leader material
>>
>>672319
As far a spinning reela, an Abu, an Okuma, a couple Pflugers, a Quantum, and a Shimano. Also that big ol' Shakespeare reel on the Ugly Stik combo I bought for the pier, but I rarely use that. Have another Abu reel in the closet that needs a new part but not really worth fixing because it's just a Cardinal from a few years ago.

Had a Mitchell too that I gave to my lil bro when he recently started fishing. I would buy another Mitchell. I also like Quantum's current lineup, but sounds like they have some quality and reliability issues after reading the reviews. But they look damn good.

If I stop replying, I passed out. Tryin to get up early and get some fishin in before I have to run errands all day.
>>
>>672316
>lurked /mu/ for a couple weeks hoping it was actually musicians
Can relate. You'd think people would realize that music is art and art is subjective. Sure there's some I don't like but there is more good than bad in most music. And the musician thing. I play, well more like noodle around by myself when the wife is away.
>>672318
I should be a cat but sadly I'm the 50+ Not that it's a bad thing. I can afford pretty much anything I want which is a good thing. Age is more of a mental thing and that would put me around 19 with way too much $ for a teen....
>>
>>672324
Have you ever caught anything at the pier? When the bluefish are running, you can throw just about anything and they'll bite. My friend literally carolina jigged an inverted candy wrapper foil that was tied to a hook with mono and he caught one.
>>
>>672318
>look great as a fluffy cat man
This is true though, I'd make one fucking fuck of a cat
>>
>>672331
The couple times I went over there, it was just little 4" bait fish nibbling on the squid. I got fed up, put a small hook on, and ripped a ton of em out of the water just to catch something.

The pier frustrated me tho because it's a bunch of tourists and kids. I think I need to go out there at like 3am one of these days. And I tried fishing the inlet but the tide just kept dragging my shit into the rocks and I got tired of breaking 40lb braid.

So I went back to freshwater. I live so close to the ocean tho. The intercoastal is a couple blocks away.
>>
File: meme fish.jpg (75KB, 710x479px) Image search: [Google]
meme fish.jpg
75KB, 710x479px
>>672334
The Juno pier is much more active. They were getting a shit ton of jack crevalles, got 2 of them.
>>
>>672334
>purposely snagging fish

I smdh tbqfh familio
>>
>>672192
lighter reel, no tripping

I actually didn't buy it for myself. I swear by my Stradic 6000FJ, I got it for my girlfriend who has a bad habit of looking at her reel when she operates it, this reel will help her get over that bad habit. It forces you to operate your reel while casting without staring at it. I also plan on using it when she doesn't join me to fish.

>>672227
i wouldn't focus fishing from the pier. I would cast at an angle from the shore [based on the tidal rip]

>>672308
>and then remember that a good portion of 4chan is high school kids. Or like sheltered 19 year old college freshman with rich parents who think they understand how the world works.

this is a common misconception, look at the public google statistics about the userbase, you will be pleased to know you are wrong.

>>672324
>As far a spinning reela, an Abu, an Okuma, a couple Pflugers, a Quantum, and a Shimano

Shimano sets the bar high, they use the same machining,technology, and bearings that they use in their bicycle parts, and besides Campagnolo, they are the best in that business which is why they are my go-to

PENN is classic, extremely rugged, good go-to reel manufacturer.

I don't like new Mitchell, but I do use a classic Mitchell Sportfisher 6100 for shark fishing, it's an absolute beast of a reel, holds a crazy amount of line, huge retrieve speed, and nice solid click, this reel I have is maybe 20-30 years old

Abu is classic, but most of their reels feel cheap.

Okuma is a decent low-mid range manufacturer, great for entry level.

Quantum is garbage [garbage said with a french accent]

my biggest pro-tip: go with full metal reels, keep plastic pieces minimal, if any at all. for saltwater make sure it's sealed [body and drag] or be ready to service your reels a lot. for example I use the Stradic almost exclusively for surf casting, I rebuild it and oil it almost monthly, sometimes twice a month if I'm fishing hard. It's a freshwater reel.
>>
>>672334
>>672331
piers aren't as productive as you would think. fishing in the surf is far more productive because most fish you will be targeting from shore/pier actually hang out closer to the beach then you would imagine. I've caught 45lb stripers 5-10 feet from the sand. More often then not I focus on horizontal casts [instead of straight out from the shore] and retrieve based on water movement.

>>672334
>dragging my shit into the rocks and I got tired of breaking 40lb braid.

It's absolutely imperative that you use a leader of flouro or mono when fishing in surf/rocks, basically any type of inshore fishing. The leader acts as a shock absorber, and allows you to attach rigs, without cutting your braid, it also snaps at the knot instead of where your braid would rub against rocks. There is barely any elasticity in braid, and should be fished without a leader.

>>672357
in some states snagging specific types of fish is legal.
>>
>>672375
>There is barely any elasticity in braid, and should be fished without a leader.

is meant to be AND SHOULD BE FISHED WITH A LEADER.

Basically any type of fishing you do with braid, always use a flouro or mono leader. or surf I use a 50lb powerpro with a 2-3ft 60lb flouro. For sharks I use a 60lbs berkely trilene mono with a 100lb mono leader which is about 5ft long.

Shark fishing from shore is exciting as all hell, it's also the only type of fishing I do with bait, basically I plant a big ol' rod in the sand, then have my friend paddle the kayak and bait out to our target location in the bay. he paddles back and we wait.
>>
>>672370
Heh, your reel reviews:
>everything but Shimano sucks

They are nice, but there is the occaisional design flaw. I still will def consider them for my next reel purchase, but there are always options from other companies that will hold up.

I've been curious about Mitchell though. I think they were a real nice brand awhile back, but now they only seem to have a couple offerings. I wonder if they put a lot of effort into them or if Pure Fishing just kinda floats them along.

>>672386
>>672375
I almost always do a flouro leader, so that breaks before the braid. But it's still a bitch pulling on the braid with your hands, even wrapped in a rag. I'm not trying to cut off 30yds+ of line every time it goes into the rocks.

Also, it sounds like surfcasting is better than the pier, but what about fishing the inlets or intercoastal? There is a nice park at Hillsboro Inlet, basically right on the ocean side of the drawbridge. Seems like a good spot, but I know I need to research the tide a little bit.
>>
>>672406

He's dead on though. Penn and shimano are my go to brands. Okuma is decent quality entry level, and quantum is generally trash. Im the guy that recommended the quantum accurist in the last thread btw lol.

Fishing inlets is a bit more tricky, as you need to understand how to finesse the extreme volume of water moving in and out. Your generally fishing for a few quality bites rather than many strikes from fish.

Let me get on my computer and send you some links.
>>
>>672406
>Heh, your reel reviews:
Shimano is a brand I've used since before I could talk [my father was a cyclist] so I am kind of biased towards them because I know their bike products are top notch and extremely durable, and you can see this in their fishing products.

I see new mitchells occasionally and I turn away. I think classic mitchell is worth seeking out. I got my 6100 on craigslist for less then 10$

>I almost always do a flouro leader,

in rocky areas use a flouro leader that is atleast 10lbs heavier then your braid.

If you need some tips of knotting your braid to your leader let me know I have a few neat knots that work exceptionally well.

>but what about fishing the inlets or intercoastal?
in my state we get the grunt of the striper population in their spring/summer migration heading inshore, up rivers in brackish water. We also get American Shad, and sea run brown trout.

Some of the best salt fishing is actually done in brackish waters in the spring, then we move out to the surf in the early summer all the way through November. We also have sturgeon that live in our brackish water and bays year round, but they are illegal to target and land. Inshore flounder fishing is really nice too where there is a heavier salt mix in the brackish rivers.

Take the Saco river for example. Come memorial day it's the absolute best Striper/Shad fishery in the world. Typically I lose count of my catches under the first dam.

After the initial spring rush we head back to the surf and further up the coast. I usually move up and down the coast at leisure and then focus on the Portsmouth NH to Scarborough beaches until the first week of December. Chasing hold-overs can be extremely rewarding and the occasional schoolie can be caught year round. After that I focus on sea-run brown trout in the brackish waters of the Mousam [fly fishing] and the brown trout and various salmonoids in the upper Presumpscott[FFO]
>>
File: IMG_20150618_185237445.jpg (4MB, 4320x2432px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150618_185237445.jpg
4MB, 4320x2432px
>>672411
if you can recognize and access the location in this picture, you have found the absolute best spring/summer striper fishery in the world.
>>
>>672406

some jetty fishing tips:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rixak20mxbQ

Some bucktail info:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sw2tuR_xqhM

Beach structure tip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_K9fig1oUos

Fast moving water tips

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYv-Id2qthY

And idk where in florida this is, but you need to go there during the mullet run lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4Z5jciACfM>>672411

>>672411

I recommend the FG knot for attaching flouro to braid. Its a Chinese fingertrap of a knot lol. Thinnest/strongest line connection knot based on multiple breaking strength tests.
>>
File: montauk-blitz.jpg (2MB, 3070x1691px) Image search: [Google]
montauk-blitz.jpg
2MB, 3070x1691px
>>672414

If that's the best spring stiper-ing, come see us in the fall.
>>
>>672419
>>672419
>skinner
>FG Knot

you know the way to my heart anon. can I come visit you in LI. We can hunt striper and stalk skinner.

>>672425
My dick gets hard anytime I hear Montauk. I plan on making a winter trip down there at some point. My girlfriend is begging me to catch false albacore.
>>
>>672414
The 'ditch' may disagree but both are prolific.
>>
>>672427
the big ditch [if it's the one you are refering to] is phenomenal summer striper fishing. Race Point is also one of the best bluefish spots north of long island. I make it a point to go to cape-cod during early August to get my fix. It's nice too in most areas on the cape you can drive on the beach and fish with your truck nearby, something we can't do in Maine.

I'm thinking we need to organize a striper tour on /out/ even it's 3-4 people from the east coast.
>>
>>672430
>big ditch [if it's the one you are refering to]
yep
>cape-cod
my home
>>
File: edit'd.jpg (1MB, 4320x2432px) Image search: [Google]
edit'd.jpg
1MB, 4320x2432px
>>672432
if your ever in maine drop a post in a fishing general and I'll show you the good spots.

pic related was caught 5 miles from the ocean.
>>
>>672426

Haha, I had the chance to see him speak and meet him at striper day at hofstra on the 9th. I was pissed when I had to work...He actually lives really close to me lol.

Im a total amateur and just learning surf fishing. I'm more of a kayak/boat guy. Surf fishing is a whole different beast and very rewarding when you get it right. I'm still putting together all the right gear. I have to decide if I like a wetsuit or waders next. A wetsuit is safer but waders are more comfortable and easier to fish in. So idk, gonna figure it out this year.
>>
>>672440
in the spring/summer i fish in shorts. fall to spring I use neoprene waders, tempted to get a wetsuit as well.

If I saw skinner I would never walk up to him and say hi. I'd take my rod and move down the beach, trying not to disturb a masterclass fisher.
>>
>>672439
nice. Will do, appreciate it.
I go for 2 weeks in the summer but that's inland lake.
New kayak this year so I'll be exploring a lot if innerwaters on Cape as well.
>>
>>672460
Hey I have a kayak too!

If I'm in the cape I'll seek you out with the fishing threads.

Offer is open to anyone visiting Maine. Find me in the fish threads and I'll show you around.
>>
>>670736
I currently sub to both, inshore saltwater. Amlmost going for a year. I would say u get more for your money with LTB. But MTB offers better quality baits IMO.
>>
Any of you guys build rods? I need some help selecting a brand for guides and sizes.
>>
>>672309
I want to be the puma.
>>
File: image.jpg (97KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
97KB, 640x1136px
So much for that early morning fishin. It is freezing out today anyway. I really want to go, but I won't be able to feel my hands.
>>
>>672719
It's about -5 where I am with wind chill.

And I'm outside wading in a fast moving river throwing small midges.

You pussy, go outside and fish.
>>
>>672727
You just don't understand Florida. Anything below 70F and I'm bundled up and cold.

I'm gonna go out in a little bit. Debating where to go right now. Just sucks because I have some shit to do this afternoon so I wanted to go real early but I was exhausted. At least it is sunny out, so that will be kinda warm.
>>
>>672727
Florida cold snaps are killer, it was in the 80s last week and dropped into the mid 30s pretty much overnight
>>
>>672736
I actually don't think the FL ones are as bad as the ones when I lived in Chicago.

At least where I live in FL, the weather is the same almost every day. 85F-88F high in the summer, and 75F high around this time. There is one or two cold fronts a winter that will come thru and drop us into the low 50s or mid 40s at night.

Like once a month in Chicago, you could wake up to 80F weather, go to work in a short sleeve shirt. Within 2-3 hours, it will drop down to 50F, and it could be in the 30s by night. FL weather is way more predictable because it is mostly determined by the Gulfstream. It takes a real harsh cold front to throw that effect off.

I'm still not sure if the heat works in my house. I have never used it.
>>
>>672719
I didn't realize water froze at 45f in Florida...
>>
>>672823
Southerners are pussies.
>>
>>672828
nah they just aren't used to the cold.
>>
>>672829
Right, that's what I said. They're pussies.
>>
>>672727
Yeah you throw those midgets! They're unequal in society!!
>>
Can you flyfish in winter?
>>
File: image.jpg (5MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
5MB, 3264x2448px
>>672828
>>672829
I'm from Chicago and have lived down here almost 3 years and can't deal with the cold. Like 3-4mos after I moved, I went back to Chicago in October, it was in the 50s and 60s and I was freezing.

It's beatiful out now, maybe like 60F and sunny. But I still have a hoodie on and a sweater under it.
>>
>>672860
Of course, provided that you have a section of river that's not frozen. The fishing is often excellent, as a matter of fact.
>>
>>672860
In Maine its my favorite time of the year. You get tons of sea-run browns and spawning brookie. Landlocked go crazy too!
>>
File: IMG_20151229_093519391.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151229_093519391.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
>>672860
>>
File: IMG_20160122_132532078.jpg (3MB, 2340x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160122_132532078.jpg
3MB, 2340x4160px
>>672867
There is always ice fishing in style too
>>
File: 20150719_163641.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20150719_163641.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
Otterfishing by boat is the most relaxing you'll get around my parts
>>
>>672876
Nice rig!
>>
>>672861
>60F and sunny. But I still have a hoodie on and a sweater
hehe, just finished shoveling. I'm in shorts, tank, hoodie, wool hat
>>
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>672876
Ayy what's good Benz?!
>>
File: 1453661440172-702381629.jpg (628KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1453661440172-702381629.jpg
628KB, 1920x1080px
>>672882
Like always..

At work
>>
>>672888
ayy yo famholio do you work at a Benz dealership?
>>
Saltwater fish
>very pretty
>taste great

Freshwater fish
>ugly as hell
>taste like shit

Surf and pier is where it's at.
>>
>>672955
>Freshwater fish
>taste like shit
Stocked do until they've processed the pellets from their system.
>>
File: IMG_20151216_144033384.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151216_144033384.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
>>672955
You've never eaten native brooktrout, or American eel...
>>
>>672944
Nah he does some Ski Patrol or something.

Stopped by Bass Pro, grabbed some 6lb braid (1lb diameter) and re-strung that Shimano reel I have that struggles to hold 100yds of 4lb mono. Should be nice for Mepps #0 and #1 and tiny Rapalas.
>>
File: r8m8.png (51KB, 1541x341px) Image search: [Google]
r8m8.png
51KB, 1541x341px
Calling all rod builders pls r8 my setup
>>
>>673062
Damn, that's bretty cool. Is it easy enough to assemble them? And what is the cost like compared to a similar quality rod already made?

Also, are there websites where I can choose all that stuff and have them assemble it? I never knew it was possible to build your own rods like that.
>>
>>673083
Plenty of people assemble rods, and apparently it's a fun task. You can get amazing blanks for around the 100 mark, and good blanks for around 60-70. idk about sights tho, a lot of the fun comes from wrapping threads and aligning it.
>>
>>673062
I'd be too scared of fucking it up tbqh. Post pics when you finish it.
>>
>>673083

Hey Pepsi, I fish the same types of lakes in south florida, Kendall area. I caught my first Peacock bass today on a beetle spin. then a 3 pound largemouth, and another peacock. 3 casts produced 3 fish in a row. I'm putting the beetle spin in my go to lures tackle box now.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>673094
This. I would def do a cheap one first, not some $150 rod. I wouldn't even know what to do because I don't have a real specific preference on rods. Just 6'6" with faster action normally.

>>673105
Noice. Were they peacocks or those atomic sunfish? I just realized that is mostly what I have been catching, not actual peacocks. The fish were biting decent today. I was out for a little bit, and I was going with a bigger Red-Eye Shad lure to try and get some bigger bass, and those fake peacocks kept hitting this big lure. I had them on a couple times but never hooked well because the lure was too big.

I also grabbed pic related today. A couple of those Yo-Zuri 3D baits. I'm hoping they work well. I woulda gone back out but I had to go do some shit this afternoon. If I'm lucky, I will get off work early one of these days and try them.
>>
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>673105
Also, those little beetle spins are great. I love using those on a simple jig head with a Power Bait or Gulp grub/minnow on the end.

I've been digging these little jig heads that have the blade attached to them. Toss a grub or minnow on those just like the beetle spins and it gives it a nice little flash and vibration. I think they even sell the things at Walmart. I reccommend grabbing a pack if you come across then.
>>
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>673124
A couple old rubber baits on those jig heads that I had in the rubber bait box. Those white Power Bait grubs are probably my favorite soft bait. My little bro likes them too with a beetle spin. When we go fishing, he is always digging them out of my tackle box.
>>
File: best.jpg (38KB, 576x432px) Image search: [Google]
best.jpg
38KB, 576x432px
if you know what these are, how to use them effectively, and why they work

pat yourself on the back, you are targeting one of the oldest, if not the oldest american sport fish.

[old as in people have been fishing this species for sport before almost any other fish in the continental US]
>>
>>673159
Are they for trout?

Reminds me of some old little popper things my dad had in his tackle box. Like a jig head, but the head was wood instead of lead. They were super light and dressed over the hooks. Used to catch bluegill on em just jigging off the dock.
>>
>>673160
nope. not even close.
>>
>>673162
Idk, Crappie or Carp?

Are they wood? I'm just sayin the strange shape reminds me of those goofy popper things.
>>
>>673175
nope and nope.

lead.

i'll give you a tip, they live in pacific and atlantic ocean. they spawn in rivers then head back to sea, EXCEPT no one knows where they go in the fall/winter. It's a complete mystery where they go when they leave the rivers and head back to sea.

Native Americans have tales about being able to walk over rivers on the fish because rivers used to be filled to the brim with them, they fed early american settlers, and provided great sportfishing as far back as native american history.

Now, they are known only by the most hardcore of sport fishers, their arrival in the spring marks one of the largest fish migrations ever.

A classic American fish.
>>
>>673159
theyre shad darts, havent used them in forever other then as a heavier jig head in winter for icefishing
>>
>>673179
and you can tie them in tandem, just cast them out and slowly retrieve while sweeping/pulling your rod tip up river when in current
>>
File: shad1.png (500KB, 741x422px) Image search: [Google]
shad1.png
500KB, 741x422px
>>673179
DING DING DING

used for targeting American Shad.

I've never used them for icefishing jigs; might give that a go tomorrow

>>673181
fishing shad is awesome, they school up in single file lines, once you find the line moving up the river, you can catch them every cast.

they fight like hell too, harder then any other fish it's size.

Darts actually aren't meant to be appetizing, to get shad to hit the dart, you have to try to piss the shad off, make them think the little dart is moving upstream to eat their eggs, the shad go on the defensive and start going apeshit, hitting darts that come close to their single file line like crazy.

Their eggs are considered a delicacy, when I land a fat female I usually squeeze a few out and snack on them for lunch.

The eggs when cured also make great bait for fall/winter trout fishing.

If you have never caught shad, give it a try, use light tackle [ultralight is super fun], expect long fights, and rewarding landings, as their cheeks are extremely delicate, reeling one in can take some finesse.

Although bony, if prepared right it is one of the most delicious fish, but it's hard to get the 300 bones out, or you can smoke them.

The fish is so deeply instilled in American history that they introduced them into the pacific ocean. Shad serve notable symbolic roles in regional politics and culture. On the year of every gubernatorial election, would-be candidates, lobbyists, campaign workers, and reporters gather in the town of Wakefield, Virginia for Shad Planking.
>>
>>673189
Come spring I plan on doing a video series about New England fishing, both salt and freshwater.

The first subject I plan on touching is shad fishing. I keep forgetting to put my name on in this thread, but I'll be sure to keep using the tag.

Hell an /out/ based fishing show would be fucking awesome, with contributors from around the world.
>>
>>673189
i havent ever personally targeted shad, though i know about it, and i just use them as a jig head for larger water, usuallyto pound bottom stir up some commotion and attract bass, thought hey aparently a lso work for white perch il try fishing for shad this upcoming season
>>
>>673193
please do make some decent videos with no shitty music, and you will have your first subscriber,
>>
File: shadfishing.png (35KB, 1152x648px) Image search: [Google]
shadfishing.png
35KB, 1152x648px
>>673194
I go through so many during the spring/summer season. the shad bite never dies down, and they get snagged like crazy, I think in 2015 I used almost over 100 darts. It makes for great fishing when striper bite is off, the tide is bad, or the weather is shit for striper.

I'm going to try using a few tomorrow for ice fishing, and maybe try to hit some perch with them.

When you do go and target shad here are some tips that I wish people gave me when using them.

Target the deepest channel in the river.

They cast like shit, so use real light line [4-6lbs] and a short ultralight rod,

wear some polarized glasses, and try to fish from a high bank, you can literally watch the shad swarm the dart.

keep your drag loose, you want this fish striping line off as it fights, tighten drag as you fight the fish, just be careful not to tear his lip, you will lose tons of them until you get the hang of landing them.

They are tasty, just be prepared to clean the bones [extremely hard it has over 300 bones] or pick the meat out around the bone, makes for a great fish salad. Smoking the fish will make the bones disolve. Vinegar is really good with this fish if it's smoked.

Always try different depths, until you hit the school, once you hit the shool you're in the money.

I attached a diagram on how to properly use the dart, I apologize if it's crude.

>>673198
I don't listen to music when I fish. :)
>>
>>673206
i ony eat fish like 2 times a year so not worried about eating them, i dout they get that thick here where i am in ct but il try it
>>
>>673208
dude. CT is one of the best places besides the Saco and St. John to catch them..

Infact the connecticut river gets a majority of the population in the spring, and they travel the furthest inland in the CT river, after the st.john

they travel so far up the st.john because of how small of an incline the river is.

In the north the Saco, Merrimack, and Connecticut river are the best spots for them.

Down south the ST. John is one of the best areas for them.

I'm almost certain in CT you aren't allowed to keep them. I could be wrong, in Maine it's 2 a day.

worth eating at least once, it gives you a good idea of the type of fish native Americans and pilgrims relied on.
>>
>>673210
il just use my 7 ft st croix, medium action but i an cast a mile with it
>>
>>673212
you say that now, but you will get so frustrated trying to cast a dart across the river with that rod.

My shad right consists of a UglyStick SPL1102 5'10 Medium Action with 4lb mono with an Okuma Nemisis NS 20

I mean as long as you get the dart out there [you will cast it far enough eventually, but a smaller rod is going to make it much much easier.
>>
>>673219
i would hink a longer rod makes it easier to cast would it not? leverage an shit?
>>
File: image.jpg (561KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
561KB, 3264x2448px
Shameless bump

Debating if it is worth trying to make it to the lake and cast around for an hour before it gets close to my bed time.
>>
>>673660
It's always better to go senpai.
>>
>>673660
duh, because you can, of course. I'm looking at my yak half covered with snow and I'm sad. We don't get safe ice so that's out. 2ish months to go.
>>
>>673663
I know, I'm exhausted and feel like I'm getting sick. This couch feels really nice now that I finally sat down.

I was hoping to get off early too, but one retarded stop totally fucked me up. And lazy, incompetent salesmen of course.
>>
>>673669
That sucks. I'm so glad I don't have to deal with a real winter anymore. That shit is so depressing.

At least Thursday I'm taking the day off work so I will def go out then.
>>
What's the most expensive fishing requirement you've lost or broken?

>tfw lost my $17 shimano waxwing lure

It was a meme anyways.
>>
>>673674
*equipment

Fucking auto correct.
>>
>>673674
Back in the day, my mom managed to destroy like 3 of my rods when they were in the garage at her old house.

That shit stays inside my house now. And I cleaned the fuck out of my garage at this house so shit is less likely to get broken.

Aside from that, just a bunch of $7-$10 lures which always sucks. Especially because this one lake, there's a spot that is good for big bass and there are a couple random snags that are impossible to get loose. I'm sure I have lost $30-$40 worth of lures there over the past few months. But I won't stop fishing there because of the 4lb bass. Also, I don't get mad about the money, but Bass Pro and other retailers are always changing out their selection of lures, especially Mepps, so some color combinations are hard to replace.
>>
>>673672
nah, I love my seasons. Problem with the ice is they are all spring fed kettle ponds around me. Never gets safe
>>
>>673689
>seasons

I like the good ones. When I lived in IL, I would get so depressed every fall. There was nothing I enjoyed doing in the winter.
>>
>>673683
why not snorkel for them unless the ever present Fla gator is a factor.
>>
File: image.jpg (790KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
790KB, 3264x2448px
>>673692
I don't care that much about the lures. Although those couple snag spots at this one lake are probably only a few feet deep. If we get a dry spell, I will definitely look around for them.

I was looking at those little lure retriever things at Bass Pro. It's a big weight that basically slides down your line and is supposed to knock the lure off the snag. But the thing is kinda big and heavy and I don't want to carry it around with me all the time.

With the braid, sometimes I can actually bend the hooks and get the lures back. But if I'm running a flouro leader, it always breaks at the knot.
>>
>>673674
Irreversibly bird's-nested a spool's worth of 12# fluorocarbon and snapped the tip off a brand new Abu Veritas the first day out with it before ever getting to catch a fish on it. So about $120 ignoring sales tax. I was pretty heartbroken because I was amazed with the rod and had a lot of anticipation built up waiting for the first fish. On the bright side I replaced it and it has landed me some really nice fish since then.

The trolling motor probably cost more but it's still kicking. It has had a few hiccups over the last half-year but nothing irreparable or due to negligence; just a fast rate of wear and tear due to it being used as primary propulsion.
>>
>>673674
My buddy was fishing with live mackerel from the beach, he was using a baitrunner 8000 and though his bait drag was engaged...

needless to say it wasn't

we watched his rod and reel go flying

lost a Baitrunner 8000 and a Tsunami Surf rod

At the spring spot I fish at, I've seen people lose 5-10 Bomber Long A's within 2-3 hours.
>>
Got some old fishing gear from a friend a few days ago and I have no idea what fish/thing this is used for. Anyone?
>>
>>673771
CLEAN THAT BAD BOY OFF.

works great for nearly any predatory species, also great vertical jig!
>>
>>673753
How did you break the Veritas?

I have been looking at those. I have been thinking about setting up a decent ultralight spinning combo. Bass Pro had the Revo S (10) on sale for $90 off of $130, and yhat would look nice on a Veritas.

I passed though, I don't think I want to drop that kind of money on an ultralight since I probably won't use it a ton. I like both Abu rods I own, but I think I'm going to try a St. Croix if I spend that money.

For the ultralight combo, I'm thinking about a Shimano Sahara or Sedona reel (Sahara is like $70 or $80 and ai think Sedona is the next step below) and possibly a Fenwick Eagle rod. I heard good things about those rods and I think they are only slightly more expensive than an Ugly Stik.
>>
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>673771
What he said >>673772

Depending where you are, it was prolly a Pike or Walleye lure. It is just a spoon. Spins in the water and mimics a bait fish.
>>
File: thatfeelwhen.png (42KB, 645x773px) Image search: [Google]
thatfeelwhen.png
42KB, 645x773px
>spend 1 hour and 30 minutes bass fishing
>tried rat-l-traps and worms
>get nothing
>think all the fish have moved on to another part of the lake
>on the last cast I accidentally snag a bass, he jumps and gets unhook
>this proves fish are still out there
>tfw you realize you just suck
>>
File: dynamite-2.jpg (8KB, 289x175px) Image search: [Google]
dynamite-2.jpg
8KB, 289x175px
>>673810
here friend
>>
File: image.jpg (60KB, 500x461px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
60KB, 500x461px
>>673810
What time of day was it? Sounds like one of those middle of the day, high barometric pressure deals. You can swim anything right past them and they don't care.
>>
>>673804
nigga go look on cabelas... you can get both those reels for under $50
>>
>>673819
It was from 4:30 to 6 in a backyard lake
>>
>>673772
>>673805

Ah. I mostly just fish in saltwater. Any uses there?
>>
>>673826
>any uses for a fucking slab of metal in saltwater

Polish it up and bluefish or spanish mackerels will attack it like there's no tomorrow.
>>
>>673826
yeah dude you can catch baitfish like mackerel, or whatever you use in your area.

if you use a sabiki, you can use this at the bottom.

I've hooked up on tons of large atlantic species with just a small spinner, for fun.
>>
>>673829

We don't have those fish where I live. Do you know what it's called?
>>
>>673837
where do you live?

also those were examples.

a silver spoon will pretty much catch any predatory fish. PERIOD
>>
>>673824
Damn, that sucks. What color Rat-L-Trap were you using? Some days, the gold and silver lures kill it while other days it's all about that chartruese and firetiger. I have no clue what determines it. I just go out there and try a couple things until I start catching shit.

>>673822
Really? I thought the Sahara was around $70-$80, I was looking at them at Bass Pro yesterday.

>>673826
Anything that would feed on a silver fish the size of that spoon will go for it.
>>
>>673842
dude Bass Pro is absolute shit.

CABELAS
A
B
E
L
A
S
>>
File: image.jpg (147KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
147KB, 640x1136px
>>673844
>>673822
It's the same exact pricing. And there is no Cabelas anywhere around. Plus Cabela's and Bass Pro are basically the same shit, their pricing on everything is real similar as well.
>>
>>673804
I'm actually using a Revo S on a Medium/Fast Veritas casting rod. Two set up that way. There is a third Vertias Winch with a different reel for small to medium crankbaits but I think I described the setups two or three threads ago. I haven't looked at their new Revo spinning reels yet.

Anyway the first one broke simply from me being hamfisted. I went to make a cast and on the back swing I either snagged one of my other rods (lucky I didn't break both) or got the tip of the Veritas under one of them. So on the fore-swing it jumbled the spool something fierce and the sudden, sharp jolt to the rod snapped it down at least four or so guides. In truth it might've even had weak-spot there. The tough cardboard tube it was delivered in was actually broken on arrival but the rod seemed intact so I didn't bother returning it. Those tubes are pretty strong and a bitch to break to fit my recycling bin. Another rod order did arrive with both the tube and rod broken in half. Being the second time in a row from the same parcel service I issued a complaint and haven't had a problem since. I assume the delivery driver (or whoever loads the truck up if it's somebody else) probably got reamed out over it.
>>
>>673846
ah you missed the sale.

p.s. I work at Cabela's It is much much better then Bass Pro
>>
>>673846
p.s. if you order online and say you saw the sale 7 days ago they will honor the price.
>>
>>673841

Norway, so if it works for atlantic cod/pollock or sea trout it should cover most of the fish we usually get here.
>>
>>673853
it should be great for pollock and sea trout

you could jig with it for cod but your probably better off with a heavy jig lure.

It seems like it would make a good casting spoon

I catch a lot of pollock from rocky outcroppings with a spoon when I'm camping, makes for a great fast meal and they go apeshit for spoons.
>>
>>673858

Alright, sweet. I'll give it a shot tomorrow, and probably report back if it works. Thanks.
>>
>>673847
The Revo S for $90 was the spinning one. It looked decent, had a cool white finish. I have that SX baitcaster too. No complaints yet on that one.

>>673848
>>673849
They are exactly the same shit. Before I moved, there was a Cabela's nearby, I never thought it was any better or worse than Bass Pro. Plus Cabela's made me mad last time I ordered something from them. Their customer service is useless.

And I don't need the reel anyway. I will grab one when I see something I like on sale. I have 2 ultralights already and I don't even use them that much. That Okuma and President LE have been my main rods because the size is perfect for anything from panfish to big bass with the 10lb-15lb braid on them.

I actually just put some of that Spider Wire FlouroBraid on the Okuma. I was walking out the door at Bass Pro and they had a 300yd spool on clearance for $15. It's basically braid that doesn't float. Made the lures run a little deeper which is whatever for fishing little lakes from shore. I just wanted to try it.
>>
File: 1435013754787.jpg (4MB, 4320x2432px) Image search: [Google]
1435013754787.jpg
4MB, 4320x2432px
>>673853
I catch these with spoons like nobody's business.
>>
File: fishingtackle.jpg (120KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
fishingtackle.jpg
120KB, 960x720px
r8

I do freshwater, for bass, pickerel, laketrout and pike for the most part
>>
>>673884
>FIVE OF DIAMONDS

all good in my book bru

nice rooster tails too!
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>673884
I think I asked before, but do you have a tackle bag or do you carry em in a backpack or what?

I def need to get back to Gander Mtn one day and get that little bag I posted in the OP. I was debating getting this Plano "Weekender" that holds 3-4 3500 boxes and has a few pockets on the side. But that one from Gander Mtn is just so small and compact. And I think it holds 3x3500 boxes inside and one of those little (3400?) boxes in that outside pocket.

I have mostly been carrying around pic related in my back pocket.
>>
File: 4.jpg (1MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
4.jpg
1MB, 4160x2340px
>>673895
tackle bags are pretty lame. at the same time "if you don't bring it you can't throw it"

I try to pack what works, and as minimal as possible when I fish. for freshwater spinning, everything I bring fits into one small tackle box, I keep my rubber baits in bags and throw them in my backpack.

for fly fishing I have a small belt mounted pack that holds my flybox, wieghts, and leader/tippet.

surf casting I have a surf bag that I throw plugs in and bucktails.

If you have a boat, get a large tacklebox otherwise your going to spend more time lugging around your tackle box then actually fishing.
>>
File: laketrout.jpg (111KB, 960x640px) Image search: [Google]
laketrout.jpg
111KB, 960x640px
>>673886
Five of diamonds are GOAT

got this mofo casting with the large

>>673895
I have a bag that the treys stack in
>>
>>673886
>rooster tails
skirted mepps m8
>>
File: sculpinshateher.jpg (3MB, 4320x2432px) Image search: [Google]
sculpinshateher.jpg
3MB, 4320x2432px
>>673899
damn nice togue!
>>
>>673901
eh, I just call em rooster tails.
>>
File: IMG_16022015013415.jpg (50KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_16022015013415.jpg
50KB, 960x720px
Who /icefishing/ here?
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>673895
With those 3500 boxes tho, I would definitely have to do some custom modification. They all have the 3 long rows that you can divide. But the rows are only around 1.5" wide so it would be impossible to get a regular spinner bair in there. Even some cranks would be difficult.

In a couple of my 3700 boxes, I just took the Dremel to it with a little cutting wheel. Worked pretty well once I cleaned up all the edges. But that was mostly to deal with larger packages of PowerBait and stuff. Spinner baits still fit in the regular 3700 slots.
>>
>>673909
What are the buttplugs for?
>>
>>673905
>>673901
>inline spinners

>>673896
They have some "fishing belts" at Bass Pro but I could never bring myself to wear one. How big is that belt mounted box? I just really like the idea of a small bag. That one box in my back pocket works, but it isn't super comfortable.
>>
>>673912
Me and you. Saturday night.

That box is random saltwater shit. I have no clue what I'm doing with any of it.
>>
image.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>673909
And here is the Power Bait box. I cut out the divider on the top left so the packages actually fit in there.
>>
File: 1.jpg (829KB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
829KB, 4160x2340px
>>673914
it actually looks ready to go.

use the sabiki to catch bait. put a 2oz pyramid weight at the bottom, cast, retrieve with a sweep and slow jig.

hook the freshly caught baitfish right behind the dorsal fin, throw him back in the water with a bobber that can move up and down the line [use this as an alert to tell you where the baitfish is swimming] wait for a bite.

those red gulp blood worms work well too if you put them at the end of a surgical tube.

You should take those jigs, and buy some bucktail, tie the bucktail on like so

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhDNDq5YnvM

anyways all you need is a decent rod and reel and knowledge of how to cast a sibiki and BAM you will be slaying baitfish and running "harolds" like no ones business, harolds are what we call live lined mackerels in my parts, they act just like dogs on a leash too.

>>673913
Lower left hand corner of this pic related. it's really small. I got it in the womens section of goodwill for like $1, absolutely love it.
>>
>>673921
on another note. I'll start doing videos when I go out in the next few weeks. /out/ related, maybe start doing weekly topics, and how-to's based on questions asked in these threads. Would be cool to get a few guys from these threads doing this.
>>
File: 2.jpg (848KB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
848KB, 4160x2340px
>>673921
>>
>>673924
>Videos of Pepsi getting pissed off he snagged another Mepps as he throws his rod into the lake

Sounds good

>>673921
Is that pouch actually designed for fishing? Or just something random that worked really well?
>>
>>673929
something random. i literally went to every goodwill and consignment shop in my area for about 2 weeks with the intention of finding a bag for my flybox, and voila that's it.
>>
File: now-kiss-84863136.png (115KB, 985x768px) Image search: [Google]
now-kiss-84863136.png
115KB, 985x768px
>>673929
>>673931
you guys!
>>
>>673932
if he was a trap, i might consider it.
>>
>>673934
>a trap

Gross as fuck tbqhwy
>>
>>673844
I thought that until I went back to a Cabela's last week. 1/2 the store Bass Pro is as far as size and offering. On price I'd bet they are comparable.
>>
>>673848
Dude, I was in your store, I'm guessing. Scarborough?
>>
>>673929
>Videos of Pepsi getting pissed off
I'd subscribe
>>
So I took the plunge, Lucky Tackle Box Inshore. $20 a month, 10 for the 1st after code.
Will let y'all know what I think.
Gonna MTB trout package but have to wait until Feb to sign up.
>>
>>673966
should call it the "Pepsi Challenge"
>>
>>673969
I forgot I ordered that MTB. I'm excited. Wanna see what I get for the $25 "Pro" package and see if it is worth the extra $10 for the next couple months.
>>
>>673961
Yep.

What department do you think
>>
>>673991
Hmmmm, let me think...

I was in specifically for wrist rocket and replacement bands, Being a Masshole I can't get them here. Unfortunately didn't have a ton of time to spend. Time got away from us earlier and needed to get through Boston before rush hour gridlock.
Next time I'll leave more time to poke around.
>>
>>674000
No like, what department do you think I work in.
>>
>>674028
Women's Lingerie?
I'd guess Fishing

lulz
Error: Our system thinks your post is spam.
>>
>>674028
>spam
or processed meats
>>
>>674058
I fucking wish.

Nah Footwear.

Honestly its an awesome place to work, everyone is real nice, customers are awesome I get a great discount, among other perks.

I don't want to work the fishing department, its boring and slow until spring.

I ignore boot threads on /out/ because everyone is on here is dumb and doesn't know fuck all about good boots. You give good advice in those threads and you get shit on lol.
>>
>>673120
Actual Peacocks, they fought like hell. Have a pic I'll post tomorrow.
>>
>tfw only have luck with using bait
>>
>>674166
You must be patient.

I can't stand sitting around waiting for bites. I need to be proactive. Constantly casting.
>>
File: MEMEREELS.png (281KB, 588x904px) Image search: [Google]
MEMEREELS.png
281KB, 588x904px
Who here hyped
4 MOAR DAYS
>>
File: MEMEREELS2.png (254KB, 568x854px) Image search: [Google]
MEMEREELS2.png
254KB, 568x854px
Cum on bois look at them goddamn REELS
>>
File: MEMEREELS3.png (162KB, 570x588px) Image search: [Google]
MEMEREELS3.png
162KB, 570x588px
The Revo/Chronarch killah itself, zillion sv
>>
File: MEMEREELS4.png (117KB, 586x460px) Image search: [Google]
MEMEREELS4.png
117KB, 586x460px
and spinning reels for normies
>>
File: IMG_20151214_245956629.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151214_245956629.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
>>674193
"Normies"

Spinning reels or bust.
>>
>>674196
nice stradics, but fuck ur reels gramps all about them high speed low drag casting reels
>>
File: IMG_20160103_115708762.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160103_115708762.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
>>674200
Lol.

Oh that's right you all fish for bass, and crappy.

When I'm fishing freshwater, its fly rod all the way.

When you graduate to bigger fish your better off throwing that caster out.
>>
>>674220
do you even freespool bro?
>>
>>674230
I'm just joking.

I'm actually thinking of picking up a baitcaster.

Convince me.
>>
File: curado 70.jpg (16KB, 425x319px) Image search: [Google]
curado 70.jpg
16KB, 425x319px
>>674231
I was just joking too bro. Honestly no reason to get a casting reel if you don't fish for bass-like gamefish. Even then, only if you want to perform certain techniques. Flipping, pitching, cranking,swimbaits and skipping are all things that come to mind. Personally I like the way casting reels balance and how I get a more "power". You can definitely get more reel for your money with a spinning setup and it looks like you have a great collection already.
>>
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>just got the airport today, might be out of work by 10am if I'm lucky

I hope more shit doesn't pop up. I wanna get some Tuesday fishing in.

>>674176
+1

>>674192
I'm def gonna grab a Daiwa for my next casting reel.

>>674094
Do it
>>
>>674280
Success. Got off work around 10:15, even with some shit talking with my boss and people. It's only 11am, went home, gave my doge a bath, and now I'm just trying to figure out where to go for some Tuesday fishin'
>>
>>674373
Get a camera and start a series man!
>>
File: image.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
Snek

I really need a big machete or something. I don't have it in me to chop him up with a 3" blade. So I tossed him over the fence into the bushes.
>>
>>674457
always wanted to catch one of these.

You guys are obligated to kill them right? Smash his head with a rock, or use your knife, cut under his gil plates. Make a few small strip fillets and use them as jig streamers.
>>
I'm either going to be super prepared or broke (or both) by spring...
just picked up a few Mepps for fresh and went a little crazy on inshore tackle.
+ bought my 1st braid.
>>
>>674457
I heard they're tasty and put up crazy good fights
>>
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>674463
Welcome to the braid train

>>674458
>>674466
They fight bretty good. That guy was a decent size, shoulda measured but probably around 18" and something a little over 2lbs. And I guess you're obligated to get rid of anything that isn't native besides peacocks.

I walked back past the snek and he wiggled out of the bushes back towards the fence. I didn't want to see him get back to the lake (especially since they can last awhile outside of water) so I overcame my fear. Bar-fight style, I smashed a beer bottle on his thick skull a couple times and then put the bigger knife thru his brain.
>>
>>674484
haha

dude i wish i could watch a video of that.

I've heard snekehedz can last days out of water, because they have small, rudimentary lungs that allow them to breathe air.
>>
>>674492
Maybe Maine dude is onto something with the videos...

It wasn't really that exciting. Made a good "pop" when the blade went thru his skull. Those snakeheads have really thick skulls and that is why I used to just huck em into the parking lot instead of trying to off it with a Gerber Dime or Leatherman Micra.
>>
>>674484
holy shit lol
>>
File: 3dpd.gif (2MB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
3dpd.gif
2MB, 400x300px
>tfw you catch a carp and get to toss it in the bushes like the piece of shit it is
>>
Hey guys, long time sc/out/ here. I do mostly hiking, camping and mtb so this is the first time I reply to a fishing tread.

Can someone give me some info about what I do absolutely need to fish at the beach or some river bank. Some youtube video with good info would also be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
>>
>>674543
a stick some line and a hook dig worms from the dirt
>>
>>674543
So are you thinking just freshwater? I'm not really a saltwater guy, but I can tell you a little about freshwater fishing.

Depends what you are looking to spend. But if you just want to get started for cheap, you could buy one of those $40 Shakespeare rod+reel combo that comes with a starter tackle box. It will have a couple hooks, a couple weights, a plastic bobber or two, and a couple random lures. The reel will already be wrapped in something like 8lb line as well.

If you want to get something a little better, you can go to Bass Pro, Cabela's, Dick's, or whatever and buy a nicer rod and reel. If you spend at least $60-$75 on a combo, you should get something that isn't total garbage and should hold up well for a few years. The store-brand rods and reels at Bass Pro or Cabela's will be decent and you can always find sales on them. Otherwise you can't go wrong with any major brand reel like Shimano, Abu Garcia, Pflueger, Daiwa, Quantum. For general freshwater lake and river fishing, get something that says medium weight on the rod and reccommends 6lb-12lb line. I would say probably 6'6" rod, and run 6lb or 8lb monofilament line. Then you can grab an assorted hook pack, assorted weights, a couple spring type bobbers, and that should be enough to go fishing with live bait like nightcrawlers or minnows.

As far as lures, that really depends on what you are looking to catch. To start, you could grab a couple different size crank baits like Rapalas, a spinner bait or two like Rooster Tail or Mepps, a couple rubber baits (curly tail grubs are great for panfish and bass) and then some jigheads or special weights for the rubber stuff. All the lures will have weights, and for lake fishing for bass and panfish, 1/8oz will be the lower limit for a rod like that and 1/2oz will be a little larger stuff for bass. Any larger than that will probably be big muskie stuff or possibly saltwater.

That's just my 2¢. I'm sure I'm forgetting something.
>>
>all these faggots arguing over what brand of reel and which type to use with which type of faggoty rod
>mfw I use a 20 year old shakespere real with a 15 year old ugly stick and my second rod is a bamboo stalk and probably catch more than everyone else in this thread combined
>>
>>674566
>I caught a fish this big
>>
>>674566
>baiting in a fishing thread

I'm proud of you. I also own 3 Ugly Stiks. My Revo probably casts further than your bamboo pole though.

None of the stuff will really make you catch more fish, but it is nice to use. Stuff doesn't break, flex, or feel like it is on the limit with regular use. It's just a hobby. I go fishing a lot, and I prefer stuff that works well every time I use it. And none of my stuff is even that expensive.

Buying a $3000 Les Paul won't make you a better guitar player, but it will sure as hell be better than that $100 Squier Strat.
>>
does anyone else like to come around a popular fishing spot just before sun set and scoop up all the lures dropped by dip shits during the day?
i know a great spot at my local hole where water feeds through and tons of lures get snagged on the exposed rebar
>>
>>674576
i carry a little wood saw in my box and will straight up climb trees, drop some limbs, and
wind up with a 10 shekels worth of lures
the only problems is not getting caught by the hippies that like to walk around my lake and smoke weed
>>
>>674578
tidal, brackish rivers are a thing of beauty for the poor fisherman
>>
>>674576
i once found an entire tackle box in foot deep water
the fisherman must have been distracted and didn't notice dropping it in,
or was just a lazy fuck and didn't want to get his fingers wet
the box was ruined, as were all the hooks, but i recovered a dozen lures and still use some of them to this day
>>
>>674576
I don't have any places like that where the lures would be exposed. Most I ever find are some bobbers or old line and hooks, but I'm not keeping any of that.

I'll keep an eye out if the water is really low, but I also try not to go fishing at popular fishing spots. I haven't found anything worth keeping in years and years. I'm kinda waiting for a drought so I can get some of my lures back out of the lake I was just at. I'm not holding out any hope though.

If you have seen pics of my tackle box, I'm also not hard-up for more lures. I will be ok if I don't go diving in a random lake for snagged lures.
>>
>>673771
Nice Christmas ornament
>>
>>674576
>Fishing in public places
>>
>>674656
as opposed to what?
>>
>>674559
thanks man, really appreciated. Tbh I was thinking about just give it a try with a line, a hook, a weight and some bait. Is it feasible?
>>
>>674663
I always used to see Mexicans with the line wrapped around soda cans. You won't be able to "cast" super far, but whatever. You definitely need something to wrap the line around so you don't tear up your hands with the line if you hook something.

Also, bobbers are cheap enough. Grab a couple bobbers.

Those Shakespeare starter kits are cheap tho, like $35-$40 or something. So just remember that before you go and spend $40 on a spool of line, hooks, and weights.
>>
File: image.jpg (64KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
64KB, 500x375px
>>674680
>>674663
>>
File: image.jpg (88KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
88KB, 640x1136px
>>674663
>>674680
Also this
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Catch-More-Fish-Bass-Combo/16794775?action=product_interest&action_type=title&item_id=16794775&placement_id=irs-302-m3&strategy=PWVAV&visitor_id&category=&client_guid=41dc0faa-7404-48eb-b26e-7a75a7e41534&customer_id_enc&config_id=302&parent_item_id=21048477&parent_anchor_item_id=21048477&guid=1c7c15bc-94a7-48a6-a6c4-d324509ade56&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&beacon_version=1.0.1&findingMethod=p13n
>>
>>674680
>>674682
>>674690
Thanks again man-
>>
File: thatfeel1350435071766.jpg (26KB, 180x200px) Image search: [Google]
thatfeel1350435071766.jpg
26KB, 180x200px
This guy >>673810 here,

I just went to a different part of the lake and caught 2 bass.
>>
image.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>674702
Noice

I got that snakehead and this lil guy today. Got both on these smaller Gulp minnows withh curly tails and a jig head with a little blade on it.

I would've stayed out longer but I have had a bad cold the past couple days and should try and get some sleep. Plus I'm off on Thursday. I have a doc appt in the morning and then I will go fishing after that. Unless I somehow get lucky again tomorrow and get off work before like 3:00.
>>
>Okuma Rox spinning combo: $30
>lure starter kit at a Walmart: $10
>cheapo needle nose pliers from the tool section at Walmart $1.50

This is all you really need famholio.
>>
>>674659
Private docks, private boats, private lakes

What's the point of public fishing grounds like the fucking fishing guild in runescape? Do you just wait for people to drop tuna and seaweed?
>>
>>674702
Wojak fagit
>>
>>674716
some of us enjoy fishing from shore, in swift low rivers, or high, hard surf.

most of which is public
>>
>>674576
wait until ice then go around with a ladder ans some pruiners getting alll the goodies out of tree branches, ive also done this with a lader balleced in a canoe
>>
>>674716
Almost everywhere I go has "No Tresspassing" or "No Fishing" signs around it. I just try not to wear out my welcome or make a mess.
>>
File: tothebeach.png (941KB, 659x567px) Image search: [Google]
tothebeach.png
941KB, 659x567px
>>674723
GO TO THE BEACH, BOY
>>
>>674724
One day...

The pier is open 24hrs on weekends, I need to go there at like 3am on a Saturday. Otherwise take that trip to the Keys with Jacksonville anon.

I really want to take a trip to Okeechobee and rent a boat for the day.
>>
>>674729
no surf fishing in your area?

I heard there are sharks in the gulf
>>
>>674730
I could do the surf fishing thing too.

Also, I'm not on the Gulf side. Atlantic side here. Gulfstream lyfe.

Also also, I'm gonna make a new thread soon. This one hit the limit.
>>
>>674494
>onto something with the videos...
I'm thinking so, it could be almost a "Do NOT fish like me" series...
Sucks that I absolutely hate the whole youtube film everything and post it revolution.
I'm the one on Cape that's starting to fish again after a bazillion years away, yeah I'm old as fuck. I'm sure I'll make pretty much every mistake possible (including buying the wife a setup for freshwater).
>>
>>674543
Where are you located. Knowing that people can help determine what you need legally and what species you can go for.
>>
>>674566
I'm just an idiot that likes fishing ultra-light. 6 #'rs on 2#test is funner than your bamboo.
>>
>>674750
don't you lecture ,e on what is and what is no funner
>>
>>674716
Did you come into the thread to add anything, or just be douchey?

I have a boat too, woohoo....
>>
>>674724
>BOY
Monn
>>
>spend 2 hrs working a #3 bronze mepps and a silver one with out catching a thing
>hook on a worm and catch 2 fish in 5 casts
>tfw you fell for the mepps meme
Thread posts: 319
Thread images: 87

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.