[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi, /out/. Looking at getting a liquid fuel stove for short trips.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 10

File: WhisperLite_International_2012.jpg (48KB, 532x450px) Image search: [Google]
WhisperLite_International_2012.jpg
48KB, 532x450px
Hi, /out/. Looking at getting a liquid fuel stove for short trips. All my research has pointed me to an MSR Whisperlite. Is it a good stove? Are there better stoves? Discuss stoves.
>>
>>669768
Why would you get a liquid fuel stove for short trips? Is it high altitude? Low temperature?
>>
>>669769
It's hard to get butane canisters where I live.
>>
>>669768
Been using a whisperlite for 20 years
I didn't know they still made them

It's pretty easy to use and clean if it gets clogged.
The weak link is the pump. I carry a spare on long trips
>>
>>669770
You, sir, live really deep in the wood.
You can find them in any middle sized mart.
>>
>>669770
You clearly have the internet so why can't you order it?
>>
>>669768
Whisperlite is an excellent stove and worth the weight. You can occasionally find them in garage sales or thrift stores, but they're relatively rare. I don't mind my pocket rocket, but I dislike the canisters because I don't know how much fuel is left in them, so I'm forced to carry two. Also, amazon won't deliver canisters to you?
>>
File: PINS.jpg (439KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
PINS.jpg
439KB, 2048x1536px
>>669768
I use a whisperlite stove on motorcycle trips. I carry 2 30 oz fuel bottles of gasoline for camp fuel and emergency extra motorcycle fuel, it works great.
>>
>>669768
I've had a whisperlite for 15 years, never felt the need to replace it so I couldn't tell you if there's something better. Just be sure you know how to use it or you could end up setting something on fire.

A 16 oz bottle will last me a 3 day trip at minimum. You can use a variety of different fuels if you need to but I prefer to use white gas since its the cleanest.
>>
>>669994
I think you have to get the wisperlite international to use lots of different fuel types
The jet is different iirc

Mines given me flawless performance for decades
But sometimes when I'm cooking, squatting over pressurized fuel and flame, I wonder if this stove has a finite lifespan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI0qU4EZbS8
The pump is worrisome b/c it's plastic and has o-rings and I've already broken one
>never leave the pump in the bottle after I'm done cooking
>take great care to protect it when packing up >carry a spare
>use the windscreen to keep the bottle cool
>tell myself it will be fine
>>
Bomber gear, you won't regret it. You could probably do without the K jet. It is a bitch to light.
>>
>>669941

Not OP, but in my case I'm originally from a small, pacific island. Unless I ordered a fucking pallet of the stuff, it wouldn't be coming in any other way since it's a hazmat item.
>>
>>669768
Was just looking at one of these the other day. Seems to be the best all around stove. Can use many different types of fuel and its very low maintenance
>>
>>670440

I have the dragonfly (got it on sale), and I'm pretty happy with it. It sounds like a literal jet engine compared to the whisperlite. I only seem to use it on bicycle tours though.
>>
>>669768

I own an older Whisperlite International and it is awesome. I use it for backcountry trips with more than myself or long trips and car camping. On solo trips where I'm climbing, I prefer a canister stove with 110g canister(s). But the Whisperlite is powerful and reliable and works great at altitude.
>>
File: catfoodcan.jpg (529KB, 1200x896px) Image search: [Google]
catfoodcan.jpg
529KB, 1200x896px
>>669768

Cat food can stove.

>lighter
>cheaper
>disposable
>no need for shitty butane cannisters.
>no need for a stand like a popcan stove.

The only downsides are that it only burns alcohol and it's no what I'd consider durable.
>>
As someone who used to do a lot of guiding in the winter, and have used the whisper lite and dragonfly stoves extensively I would drop the extra cash on a dragonfly. Both great stoves, but the dragonfly is just better in my experience. I've also used Coleman's exponent stoves, they're alright but in my experience they are much more prone to failure if not meticulously maintained, and they've been discontinued.
>>
>>670515
Also, the dragonfly heats faster and lights easier.
>>
>>670481
Pros:
-ultralight
-ultracheap
-fun to do
-fuel is a good disinfectant, but it prevent blood from coagulating

Cons:
-need to carry liquid fuel. Be sure to use two sealed bag if you don't want your stuff to be drunk.
-can't regulate heat
-low energy, take time to boil water
-you have to wait until fuel run out, then to wait until it cool.
-don't even try to add fuel while it work

I made 36 different ones with cans of soda last summer. Only tested 2 but they work great. Think of the airflow and give time to your gas to burn before it reach your pan.
>>
>>669768
Great stove.
I've used it on hundreds of trips with no problem that i can recall.
Not perfect, but damn close.
>>
>>669914
>>669953
>>669994
>>670440
>>670465
>>670866
Thanks for the advice m8s.
>>
>>669961
PINS is one of my favorite places. Good call, anon. Fish the laguna side.
>>
File: sato.jpg (120KB, 450x304px) Image search: [Google]
sato.jpg
120KB, 450x304px
>>669768
Had one since the mid 90s. Was good but it finally failed and they no longer sell the required spares.

Presently using butane but its under powered.

Am tempted by pic related
>>
>>669768
Once again, /k/ ends up having a better camping gear thread than /out/ yet every other thread on out talks shit about /k/.

Whatever.

This think here can be a nice pot stand and windscreen for a esbit or triaga alcohol stove or you can use it as a wood stove, though keep in mind you pretty much have to sit next to it and keep feeding it timber.
http://emberlit.com/fireAnt-titanium-multifuel-ultralight-backpacking-stove
>>
>>672590
>Once again, /k/ ends up having a better camping gear thread than /out/
Perhaps /out/ goes to more extreme environments than /k/ and needs more reliable gear
>every other thread on out talks shit about /k/.
This is completely false
>http://emberlit.com/fireAnt-titanium-multifuel-ultralight-backpacking-stove
Maybe this is OK if you can run back to the car if things don't work out, but if I'm going out for weeks in the mountains, I need something more trustworthy
>>
File: Omnilite.jpg (324KB, 2260x1326px) Image search: [Google]
Omnilite.jpg
324KB, 2260x1326px
>>669768
Whisperlite is a good choice, OP. If not decided, check out the Primus Omnilite Ti. It's a little lighter, and the pump is not made of cheapo plastic, hence sturdier.

I have both, and mainly end up using the Omnilite.
>>
File: Omnilite1.jpg (373KB, 1595x897px) Image search: [Google]
Omnilite1.jpg
373KB, 1595x897px
>>672646
Also, you might wanna get a silencer cap for the omnilite, as without one it sounds like an F16 taking off.

Pic related, OmniPup silencer, bacons and obligatory sticker coated Nalgene.
>>
>>669768
Whisperlite is god tier. Get the International or Universal. International has the ability to burn diesel, kerosene, gasoline, or white gas. The Universal does all that shit plus can run off isobutane canisters.
>>
Whisperlite is gud. Be advised that you may need to clean and/or replace some of the seals every 2-3 years; I learned this the hard way. Fortunately, replacements are very cheap and easy to install.
>>
>>672568
what "spares" do you need?

>i'll take a look?
>>
>>672590
>Go to /k/
>Ctrl-F "Nig***"
>Shows up four times without expanding any threads
Sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie, but I'll never know 'cause I wouldn't eat the filthy motherfucker.
>>
>>669768
I have the Simmerlite and have used Whisperlites at Philmont. Greta stoves. I chose the Simmerlite because at the time I bought mine, the Whisperlite wouldn't fit in a 1 liter MSR pot and the Simmerlite would. I'm not sure if the recent re-design changed to the more flexible fueld hose or not.
>>
>>673664
>implying /pol/
just stop it. go to a /k/ meetup and camp and shoot machineguns. Nuggetfest is a glorious time.
>>
>>673744
Implying that /k/ could have a world class camping gear thread, but I'd never know about it because I don't associate with trash like that.
>>
>>673750
>trash like that
do you know where you are?
/k/ has bug out and innawoods threads frequently and our participants range from poorfags with coughlans shit to deep pocketed gearfags
>>
>>673776
>do you know where you are?
Leave your /k/ memes in /k/ with the rest of the stormfront wannabes.
>>
File: zimmerman trayvon redcoat zulu.gif (2MB, 360x240px) Image search: [Google]
zimmerman trayvon redcoat zulu.gif
2MB, 360x240px
>>673832
>>>/pol/
>>
File: MSR_letter.jpg (183KB, 826x1169px) Image search: [Google]
MSR_letter.jpg
183KB, 826x1169px
>>673402
Thanks bro. I sent this to the parent company some time back but never got a reply. I have enquired locally but their answer is send it in for repair and they estimate it would likely cost 2/3rds the price of a new one.

All I really need is that tube or a compatible one and a few O rings. The rings are readily available.
>>
File: dsc435.jpg (750KB, 1600x2400px) Image search: [Google]
dsc435.jpg
750KB, 1600x2400px
>>673861
>>>/k/
>>
>>670420
You from Pitcairn, m9?
>>
What does /out/ think of jet boil flash? Just got one on sale for 60 bucks. Don't have experience with any other stoves.
>>
>>673664
>I let words have this much power over me.
>>
>>673879

this is what i could find.

http://topkayaker.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1189 >24$
http://www.qvist.nl/msr-whisperlite-originele-onderdelen.html
>28$
>>
>>674112
>$60

Seems a decent price.

So, it will boil water one minute faster than a $40 MSR Pocket Rocket or $15 Chinko Pocket Rocket ripoff, right?

1 minute faster.

And hows the weight-bulk compaired to the MSR Pocket Rocket?
>>
>>674112
>$60
I want to be you. Are you sure it is a full set?

>>674289
Think of the weight. A pocket rocket, cooking set and 2 400g cartridges will weight a kg, a flash and a 400g cartridge only 800g.
>>
>>674328
Why two cells for MSR and one for Jet?
>>
>>674404
The jet is very very efficient in a fuel per unit of boiling water way.

Plus, the way the burner is connected to the mug, there's little danger of fire if it tips, it can be moved around while operating, and has very good wind resistance. These are just the benefits I've noticed.
>>
not for OP
but useful

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Q6QTCEM?psc=1

and

http://www.amazon.com/GasOne-Butane-Fuel-Canister-Pack/dp/B0022BUT2O

2$ per 8oz can makes the most affordable fuel. this is half the cost of the cheapest hiking stove fuel at walmart you can possibly find

these stove cans are butane, so they dont operate well in extreme cold if you dont warm them up first
>>
>>673832
Fuck off dude, lots of decent folks on /k/ and lots who post on both boards.

I love my whisperlite universal, it was expensive but I decided the flexibility was worth it, and it seems very solid although I've only used it for one season so far. I'm using white gas and it sips it, one tank lasts me a few weeks of cooking.
>>
>>674228
I found both of those too. The question is will they fit hence the measurements.
>>
>>674501
The overlap beteern /k/ and /out/ is the cringeworthy autists afraid of black people and the apocalypse, so no thanks to them on this board
>>
What is the best /out/ solution for simmering around two liters?
>>
>>674733

We can't all be the same people with the same opinions on how to enjoy the outdoors.

I get that it's human nature to like people that are similar to you but why not embrace diversity and enjoy some opposing viewpoints, anon?

Also generalizing makes you look immature.
>>
>>674328
http://www.rei.com/product/791310/jetboil-flash-java-kit
There's still time
>>
>>674813
MSR dragonfly is a solid choice. plenty of power to get your food boiling, has excellent temperature control, and is sturdy and large enough to hold your pot and 2L of food while you stir.
>>
>>674733

You're literally as bad as the cancer types on /k/.
>>
Have you tried the Jetboil? They sell it on Amazon and it'll heat a cup of water in a hot minute (or two)

No personal experience but my friend raves about his. ($$ is a con)
>>
>>674727
sorry, i dont speak imperial.
>>
>>674938

The only difference is the insulated mug which you can get separately and add to any isopro stove but yes, the insulation does make the water boil faster and save fuel
>>
>>675025

Filthy altmer.
>>
>>674813
You can use the whisper lite to simmer. Fully prime the stove. Close fuel valve, allow flame to die down a bit, blow out stove. Then once there is no flame, open the pump/bottle a bit to depressurize it completely. Pump a few times (seriously, maybe four full pumps if you're less than half full of gas) and then re light your stove and keep the fuel valve mostly closed. Find a midway point that gives you the heat you need.

You can also use the "tower of power" use the wind screen, fold it into a star, and place a pot on top of the rigid foil.

You can also cook something "around the clock" rotating a pot 1/4 of the way around the stove every 10-15 seconds
If you don't want to hold onto it w pot grips the whole time use a stack of rocks to help balance your meal.

Happy backcountry cooking anon.
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.