[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do out in the cold

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 8

File: DSC04605.jpg (3MB, 3000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
DSC04605.jpg
3MB, 3000x2000px
Just did a little /out/ today and damn I was cold. About the only thing that was warm on me was my feet since I have a dcent pair of boots and wool socks. Rest of me? Ice cold. My face in particular was frozen. I got gloves but they are so bulky if I wanted to do anything even taking out my water bottle i'd have to take em off and it would take a long time for them to warm back up.

It was like 20F out today, that's with the sun up, I couldn't imagine doing this at night.
>>
Just like I would out when hot. With just warmer gear. Also more ways of starting fire, some more food for the extra calories burned.
>>
Get wool/polypropylene long john silvers and an undershirt
Get a scarf or a buff and a hat
Wear an outer layer that blocks the wind and something to insulate underneath
Quit being a pansy
>>
File: DSC_0339_-L.jpg (127KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0339_-L.jpg
127KB, 800x533px
>>669223
Good gear. Really no way around it... and you get what you pay for.

Keep the wind/water out, and you'll stay a lot warmer. Dress in layers, and bring extra gear in case something does get wet (socks/gloves especially).
Balaclava for your face.

>>669232
>more ways of starting fire
This... your firesteel won't cut it in the winter when shit's wet. I like road flares, they'll get things done. >Pic extremely related.

>>669237
>outer layer that blocks the wind and something to insulate underneath
Yup.
20°F is rather warm.
>>
If you were cold, you weren't insulated enough.

Good base layers. Merino wool long Johns are awesome.

Make sure you have a wind proof outer layer.

Look into glove liners. Basically really tight for fitting gloves that you can wear heavier gloves over. That when when you need precision, you can take off the we bulky glove, and have good dexterity without your hands freezing.
>>
File: triggerfingermittens.jpg (141KB, 1600x1066px) Image search: [Google]
triggerfingermittens.jpg
141KB, 1600x1066px
>>669749
>wear heavier gloves over

swap the heavy gloves for trigger finger mittens. the best purchase i've ever made. they're milsurp but awesome
>>
You don't need those giant snow gloves. Get some thin but very insulting ones, and then wear some regular ones over that.

20F is cold but it isn't stupid cold, if you're cold you just aren't wearing enough or the right clothing. People go /out/ in -20F and do fine so its all in the equipment. You're a warm blooded mammal remember.
>>
>>669223
>like 20F out today
I laughed. Yesterday was around 14F with wind.
Me in shorts, thermal shirt and hoodie.
It was a little cold but not whine worthy.
>>
>>669223
I'm out all the time in winter, I'm a fur trapper.
You don't need expensive gear.
I recommend neoprene fishing waders for winter, even when not fishing.
The most important thing is a wind proof outer layer.
>>
For gloves I can absolutely recommend neoprene gloves, i bought them for sailing but they are incredibly awesome in the cold.

Can ride my bike indefinitely in -10°C weather with those things.
>>
1. polypropylene base layer (the under armor type of fabric)
2. Warm, cozy layer. Ideally wool. At least get some wool socks. Cotton is the worst for insulation.
3. Weatherproof layer
>>
File: image_65505.jpg (9KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
image_65505.jpg
9KB, 400x400px
>>669223
>20F
That's barely even chilly. You should start with a good hat.

I find these flip top mittens with liner gloves under them are pretty good down to a lot colder than that and you don't need to take them off to handle things. Whatever gloves you wear you should wear liner gloves under them.

>>669237
>long john silvers
In most of the world they are just called long johns. Unless you mean the silver treated ones that you don't have to wash.
>>
>>669873
>Ideally wool
Fleece is better (lighter, drier) as a mid layer. Wool is better as a base layer unless it makes you itch because synthetics get stinky next to your skin.
>>
>>669223
>20F
>cold
Is this a joke?
>>
>>669223
learn tummo yoga
>>
>>669805
14F? That's nothing. I once went ice fishing naked when it was 30 below. Forgot to bring anything with me to make a hole in the ice so I laid on my stomach and let my erect dick thaw a hole through.
>>
>>669878
Its a meme, you dip
>>
>>669916
Oh yeah? I once took a bath in liquid nitrogen.
>>
>>669943
I once stood in a tub of liquid helium and let it crawl up my body into my lungs for fun!
>>
>>669223
20? Cmon dude. That is not cold. It may be uncomfortable but you get used to it. Here in norway it is -4 Fahrenheit right now. (I even converted it for you. -20 celsius for the euros )
>>
>>669737

>road flares

i like bringing a can of 4season gas mix for camp stove
>>
File: wintergloves4.jpg (156KB, 588x528px) Image search: [Google]
wintergloves4.jpg
156KB, 588x528px
>>669790

> thin but very insulting gloves
>>
File: P13281954.jpg (23KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
P13281954.jpg
23KB, 320x320px
>polyester silvers
>glittens
>windbreaker hiking/snow pants
>büts
>neck gaiter
>elmer fudd hat
>wool and/or synthetic socks x 3
>packpack full of beers and multi vitamins
>last will & testament sealed in a ziploc™
>>
>>670027
I'm not sure what you are trying to imply with this post. That anything thin can't be well insulating?
>>
>>669223
People who freeze are either lazy or stupid
>>
>>669962
>for the euros
You mean for everyone in the world except the United States and Belize.
>>
>>670078
>Belize
puhlease
>>
>that ain't cold this is cold
>fukn poozy fagot

Is this high school?
>>
>>669805
Dude wearing shorts in that weather is just stupid.

I get it, you think you look tough, but come one man. We get it, you can stand some cold, you look like a tool.wear proper clothing. If you're really going /out/ in 14 degree temps, shorts are not the proper gear.

Wearing shorts while /out/ in 14 degree temps, is the same as seeing some soccer mom hiking in flip flops and jeans, with a north face tank top, thinking she's "really sporty".
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 1536x2048px
>>669223
Basic layering man. Wool or synthetics for base layers. Decent insulting layer such as fleece. Wind/water proof layer on top.

There is a lot of good info on how to layer and what materials work best. If you dress right , you'll be comfortable all day.

I was out today in mid 20s while XC skiing and was hot as balls. Had to strip down to my think omni wool top. Pants are Marmot Scree with omni wool long johns. Gloves are cabelas brand liners.
>>
>>670140
Fuck yeah omni-wool?

Sam's Club?

I have tops and bottoms of them. They're really great for the price.
>>
Condition yourself to cold weather. Do like us nordics and cut a hole in the ice and swim a little. We have minus 35c in Finland at the moment and it doesent feel cold at all.
>>
>>670636
But you have saunas.

We have no saunas.

I would jump in a frozen lake if I had a sauna.

I do not have a sauna.

I have no idea where I'd even find a sauna.

I want a sauna.

Sauna.
>>
>>669223
Not sure what you were doing, but you need to keep your core warm. Start with a fleece vest and ski hat. Wind is the enemy, so cover everything with nylon. If you're going to be active (not stop and go stuff like hunting or birdwatching), wear a fast drying, moisture wicking, synthetic base layer. Put on a down vest when you stop, and pull the hood up. Sit on something that insulates you from conduction.
>>
>>670636
It's only mental though. You're still cold, as cold as anyone else would be, but your brain is shutting it out.
>>
>>670641
Have you considered saunas? They are pretty fucking awesome.
Lay nekkid in snow....
.... sauna
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!
>>
>>670653
Actually you can activate genes with conditioning. Your core temperature can get higher with training
>>
>>670033

> insulating
or
> insulting
>>
>>670027
Topkek. I don't think he got the joke though
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.