[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Unpopular Opinions thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 276
Thread images: 36

File: 20150322_131931.jpg (3MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
20150322_131931.jpg
3MB, 2560x1920px
>wool is overrated, particularly heavy coats
>hunting deer from a blind is for fags, double faggotry if you're using bait or feeders
>bushcraft gear for "survival" stupid when your tools weigh more than the things you intend to make with them (bringing an axe, knife and saw to make a shelter instead of a tent/tarp/hammock)
>softshells are silly
>>
File: 1452446717524.png (2MB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
1452446717524.png
2MB, 1600x900px
>bushcraft gear for "survival" stupid when your tools weigh more than the things you intend to make with them (bringing an axe, knife and saw to make a shelter instead of a tent/tarp/hammock)

The bushcraft mind set is that you carry the tools you need and not much else. What would happen if your tarp / tent fucked up? Its a more long term ideology.
>>
>taking dogs on longer (multiple day) hikes is for wolfaboo faggots who want to act cool.
>taking survival food on trips shorter than 3 days is retarded.
>bringing a fuck huge bag of supplies with you for longer trips is still fucking retarded and means you're too stupid to survive, stay in your city environment pleb.
>bringing more than 3 multi purpose knifes.
>camping pillow and mattresses

and people who purposely go on hikes with great views just to take a fucking garbage mobile phone camera.
>>
>>668745
you can take multi purpose tools or learn how to fucking use a knife instead of carrying a goddamn pickaxe and other worthless shit you won't be using anyway.
>>
File: image.jpg (126KB, 1500x773px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
126KB, 1500x773px
>>668736
The thumb hole on Spyderco knives makes them look like they belong on sale at the gas station for $9.99.
>>
>being a furry living in the woods would be cozy as fuck
>>
>batoning a knife is perfectly valid
>batoning a hatchet is perfectly valid
>batoning a rabbit is perfectly valid
>batoning a protester is perfectly valid
>batoning a migrant is perfectly valid
>>
>>668736
I think a lot of this is because people assume that if something fits their needs perfectly, that it should fit everyone's needs perfectly. Wool is great for car camping but I'd never hike with it, blind hunting is quick easy food but not even remotely sporty.

My unpopular opinion:
>Fuck wood cutting tools, break that shit off against a log to make firewood.
>>
>trail runners are for fags, the only shoes you need on a long distance hike are sports sandals and waterproof boots
>you don't need any other knife then whats on your multi tool
>hammock straps are for idiots
>>
>>668747
>implying i go on those hikes for your benefit

when i go on hikes with gorgeous views it's to enjoy the gorgeous views and appreciate where i am, and my pics are just to help spark my memery of the experience, not fag out on trying to get the perfect shot that's going to have to be post-processed to capture what i saw anyways.
>>
>>668736
>if you are going deep into the bush you should bring a sufficiently powerful firearm, Just in case.
>>
>>668753
What kind of shitty knife is that? Looks like garbage desu.
>>
File: image.jpg (358KB, 2500x1352px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
358KB, 2500x1352px
>>668834
Kek

Exactly my point
>>
>>668829
that's not an unpopular opinion here. Retarded yes. But not unpopular.
>>
>>668736

I like titanium knives. For the use they realistically see they're always better than steel because they're lighter and as tough or more.

I think folding knives are irrelevant and useless since nice multitools exist today.

I think full tang thick as fuck knives are absolutely useless and that light knife is best knife.

I think batoning is stupid as shit. No need for even thinking about doing it in any situation.
>>
>>668804
>>you don't need any other knife then whats on your multi tool

maybe if you have really expensive multitool.On your average multitool knife is going to have an uneven bevel, going to have terrible blade play severely limiting what cuts you can do, is going to have a geometry good at nothing, annoying to sharpen, and is probably made out of some low choice stainless steel.
>>
File: 91zQbhOWKbL._SL1500_.jpg (240KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
91zQbhOWKbL._SL1500_.jpg
240KB, 1500x1000px
>>668753
>holes

Don't you have a snap-on key ring knife and a skeletool?
>>
>>668736
B-but wool is comforting and nice.
>>
>>668745
part of the fun is to construct that shelter
>>
>>668882
I found the Snap-On knife inside a Walgreens. And the Skeletool was mainly about lightweight pliers with a knoife if needed. There aren't many other options that fit the bill for what I wanted. And the whole Skeletool looks goody with all the holes, so it doesn't look quite as fucked up as the Spyderco's one giant hole.
>>
>>668905

lol, just checking
>>
>>668906
The design of the Leatherman is a little retarded looking tho. But I was looking around, and it's hard to find a full sized multi-tool without a saw, bottle opener, file, etc. I wanted it to be light. I didn't even really care about the screwdriver but it has come in handy. I think there was a Gerber that was similar, but people liked the Leatherman.

I still need to figure out a way to loosen up the pliers on it a bit tho. It's kinda a pain when I'm holding a fish with one hand and trying to spread open the sticky pliers with another.
>>
>>668919
Just take actual good pliers and a decent knife...weighs less than a multi and is better.
>>
>>668736
I'm down with all of these.
>>
>>668784
> mfw I baton my cock into your ass and you have to say:

> it's perfectly valid
>>
>Guns are for cowards. Rifles are for hunting.
>>
>>668868
What do you need to cut in the outdoors anon?
>>
File: 14057220765962098360966.jpg (95KB, 247x330px) Image search: [Google]
14057220765962098360966.jpg
95KB, 247x330px
>>668981
>>
File: chicken.jpg (42KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
chicken.jpg
42KB, 500x375px
>>668882
>acknowledging tripfags
>>
There is literally nothing wrong with wearing cotton
>>
>>668977
>Unpopular opinions.
>Posts an outright wrong one.
>>
File: 20150906_155127.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
20150906_155127.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>668747
what you got against mattresses? you like sleeping on fuckin rocks and shit? wrecking your spine?

Im on the fence about the pics comment. I prefer to take pics of my gorgeous views because I want to share them with people who won't be able to experience such things, potentially inspire them to go on these type of adventures. I only take a small handful of flicks tho, most of which turn out like shit. It's also nice to look back and remember that great day.
>>
>>668804
What do you use instead of straps?
>>
>You're more likely to die from accidentally shooting yourself than defending yourself against a predator.

Unpopular opinion, but is absolute fact.
>>
Batoning a full tang knife made of modern steel is O.K
Knife designers and makers do it and it has become a valid criteria in knife testing. "Knives are made for cutting." is the knife communities old "back in my days" grandpa, who only used folding and stick tang knives.
Just look at the glock knife destruction test and see what a modern 30$ knife can withstand. Hell, even a mora companion can take enormous punishment.

Get over it traditional fag.
>>
Mountain bikers should be put to forced labour to restore the trails they ruin and the landmarks/burial mounds they desecrate and then shot
>>
>Compound bows are for faggots who don't want to git gud and just want instant results
>Anyone that doesn't use fly tackle whenever feasible for the kind of fishing they're doing is a grade-A shitter
>Anyone that fishes for wild and/or endemic salmonids with bait should be fucking hanged
>Sitting in a treestand or blind should rarely if ever be considered fair chase hunting
>The eastern states in general are pretty lousy for outdoor recreation because of the lack of public land
>I believe that it's advisable to carry several knives of different shapes and sizes on almost any outdoor outing
>Cattle shouldn't be grazed on public land at all
>>
>>669149
>Cattle shouldn't be grazed on public land at all
B-but that's the whole point of a common anon
>>
>>668867
yep
>>
Don't bring a knife. If you need it, it means you fucked up in the first place.
>>
>>668747
How is taking your dog for mutliday hikes for faggots? I don't get it, were you raped by a dog on day 3 of a hike or something?
Why do you care?
>>
>>668863
Jw how is that retarded it seems like a good safety procedure.
>>
>>669132
>you like sleeping on fuckin rocks and shit? wrecking your spine?
are you so retarded that you're unable to make yourself a bed?
>>669169
bad for their health.

it'll be a cripple at 7<
>>
Moras are fishing knives.
>>
>>669217
>being outdoors is bad for your dog's health

Are you of your fucking rocker m8?
>>
>>668736
>Nothing is better than a tent, sleeping bag and sleeping pad, and if you do it right, nothing safe is lighter.
>Starting a fire is not a big deal.
>Choosing the bad tool for the job and being proud of how you still manage to get shit done is stupid.
>If you have more than one knife and are not hunting, or if you have more than two knives and hunt, you just like to carry dead weights.
>Guns will protect you from wild animals that have not seen you or don't care about you. Bear spray will protect you from a charge.
>Survival is when you don't have your gears. When you have them it is called camping. If your choices make camping look like surviving, you just made bad choices.
>For some pieces of gears, the cheaper is the best, like fire started, lamps, watches.
>Only your foot know what shoes you need. People on the internet can't help you.
>Don't go somewhere if the weather is shit.
>You do need water and food.
>>
this thread makes me laugh, if you go out there and come back alive then whats the difference? also i can tell there are a lot of gun haters here but if im in mountain lion country i want a gun. fuck those things
>>
>Hatchets are a waste of time and space
>Splitting wood for a fire is a waste of time
>Learning to tie 60 different knots is for boy scout fags
>If you dont carry some sort of personal protection innawoods, you are either scared or stupid
>>
>>669252
long hikes are bad for their joints.
>>
>>668868

What?
>>
>you don't need ultralight premium gear to go camping
>batoning knives is a gimmick
>most of thi board gets out at most once a year
>many of this board are on /k/
>>
>People who go /out/ with a bunch of creature comforts or friends are casual shitters
>>
I can cut my pant leg open with a pocket knife.
>>
File: hGtfL23.gif (764KB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
hGtfL23.gif
764KB, 320x180px
>>669258
>Being scared of mountain lions
Holy shit what are you some sort of faggot who doesn't even understand animal behavior? Most ambush predators and scavengers are the least thing you have to fear, they rarely bother people and almost always go for easy meals over anything they have to struggle for (a full grown adult human for instance). What you actually do have to worry about are territorial nonpredators who's behavior is not based on sensible needs, but instead on something irrational and instinctual. A bull moose in a rut for instance is nearly a tonne of muscle and rage and will charge your ass down. A bear with cubs in the area can tear the shit out of you. I live in puma country too and I'd take one of those pussies any day.
>>
>>669133
Rope like a normal person
>>
>>669300
Rope is inferior to straps. They are more likely to slip, easier to damage the tree, heavier, and just overall worse.

Every serious hammock user, uses straps to go around the tree, be it with cinch buckles, whoopies, or other suspension, but always straps (webbing) on the tree.
>>
>>669258
More people have been killed drowning in a tidal wave of molasses, than by cougars in the last 100 years.

3 people have been killed in all of North America in the last 15 years by cougar. 3 people just won the impossible to win 1.5 billion powerball.

A gun will absolutely, without question, not help you from a cougar. You will never see one that wants to kill you. It will attack you without you ever knowing. They are ambush predators. You will never have time to reach a gun, even if it's in your hands. You will not see them charging, you will not see them stalking. They will simply ounce out of nowhere and go for your neck.

If you see a cougar, and have time to aim a gun at it, it's already decided not to kill you.
>>
Newfag here, what does batoning mean?
>>
>>669317
It's the habit of bringing spices usually Cajun and either tenderizing your meat or cutting your meat strips with a knife coated in the spices. I personally like batoning whenever possible as it adds a distinct flavor. Results as always will differ when /out/
>>
File: IMG_20160119_105606.jpg (3MB, 3200x2368px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160119_105606.jpg
3MB, 3200x2368px
>I think the LMF II is a good knife
>>
>>668977
Sudoku yourself
>>
>>669317
I should mention it got it's name from Louisiana as the art of batoning came from Baton Rouge.
>>
>>669130
Dunno about that. I spent half a day wearing wet denim jeans once. I will never do that again.
>>
>>669259
>If you don't carry protection you're scared
Wait what?
>>
>>669317
When crossing a river, it's going 45 degrees up instead of down
>>
>>669317
Going out in the woods, getting naked, and waving your erect penis around pretending it's a conductor's baton and you are directing a symphony.

It's a stupid /out/ thing that faggots do to prove they are tough shit, sort of like cairn kicking.
>>
>>669331
He think there is skinwalkers out there, and if you don't carry a machinegun, and are not afraid, you are not concious of the danger.

>>669317
Collecting batons to make fire, in the stupidest ways you can think of. Some people are ready to do things you will not believe to show their virility.
>>
>most of the posters here are edgy manchildren with little /out/ experience
>most campfires are romanticized cosplay for assholes who don't realize how much they are damaging the ecosystem by having one
>survivor shows have created a generation of people who think they have to beat on nature in order to survive /out/ or fulfill their glamorized survival fantasies
>if you have to build your own shelter, you are fucking up the woods and have failed at camping
>unless you are in grizzly country, or hunting, guns are not needed for animals /out/ and only carried by scared, insecure children who don't understand anything about animals
>thru-hikers are usually compulsive box checkers who are more into bragging they finished something than being /out/, or too unimaginative to go off trail
>climbing Everest is mostly for people who aren’t mountaineers who want to brag
>Europe’s nature is trashed
>USA’s nature is also trashed, just less than Europe
>people who don’t think they have an effect on nature have never been off trail to see land that hasn’t been as trashed
>>
>>669323

It is.

Gerber is by far not as bad as the meme and everyone here says.

Same for Cold Steel.
>>
>>668764
Oh shit !! Never ponder it !!
>>
>>668829
Nope. Firearms are really unnecessary. Just don't be a fucking idiot around wild animals and you will be fine.
>>
>>669300
Don't use rope, m8. It damages the tree.

Just use an inch wide or more webbing with a few choice knots and you're golden.
>>
>>669321
I don't know why I found this so funny.

>>669317
Batoning is using a knife to split wood. You press the knife against a piece of firewood, then beat the back of the knife with a smaller log, thus splitting it.

Bushcrafers say it's an essential skill. It's kind of just a meme now. It is hard on a knife. Knife companies now realize it's become a fad, and make knives to withstand it.

It's a skill that could be handy in survival situations, but for 99.9999999% of the time, it's dumb, and an axe works better, or just gathering smaller wood.
>>
>>669323
Gerber makes good knives, they just don't make AMAZING knives.

I have a few gerbers, pretty good cheap blades.
>>
>>669369
Agree with you on every point, anon. Tip Top post you've got there.
>>
>>669370
>mention gerber and cold steel on the same page
the fuck are you doing nigger?
>>
File: 81B5+H3M7YL._SL1500_.jpg (197KB, 838x496px) Image search: [Google]
81B5+H3M7YL._SL1500_.jpg
197KB, 838x496px
>>669369
>A small controlled fire is "fucking up the ecosystem" despite the fact that humans stopping and controling forest fires and other things like that is a billion times worse for systems which have always relied on cycles of fires as triggers for biological mechanisms
>All this hippie drivel about "MUH NATURE" "MUH PRISTINE WILDERNESS!" as if nature itself was a pristine magic mother earth figure and not a fucking warzone between everything in it
>>
>>669261
what the fuck do you consider daily walks/runs then?

jesus you are talking out your ear right now
>>
>>669163
Correct, you fucked up by not bringing a knife
>>
>>669369
that last bit really resonated with me. Went to colorado after graduating HS with some of my buddies and we did a little bushwhacking. I've never been through such intense terrain, nor have I have been as amazed by the views/surroundings as I was there.

Go bushwhacking occasionally.
>>
>>669407
He's right though. There's a reason avid human hikers have joint problems, rough terrain is not good for yer joints, and it probably isn't good for a domesticated animal either to be doing it for weeks at a time.
>>
>>669388
Batoning also require wood with a clean cut, so you need a saw or a chainsaw to be able to baton.
Not so much for survival now.

>>669369
Agree except on the last 3. Trashed is not the word you want to use. There is trails in it, roads here and there and power lines eventually. It's tamed, not trashed.
>>
>>669448
>Batoning also require wood with a clean cut
don't think so anon
>>
>>669449
Every video I ever saw was made with commercial firewood.
>>
>>669456
well personally i batoned a naturally broken log
so i can tell you it works just fine

maybe doesn't look so good on videos if it's uneven
>>
File: 1452826402764.jpg (112KB, 1060x404px) Image search: [Google]
1452826402764.jpg
112KB, 1060x404px
>>668985
>>
>>669163
I wish we could all be as perfect as you anon
>>
>>668986
Who the hell cares. At least you can always talk shit to them about dumb shit they said.
>>
I enjoy catch and release fishing and have never killed anything I've caught.
>>
>>669490
I don't think that's unpopular really. Lots of (white) people are like that. I haven't eaten anything I caught in over 10 years. If I catch a snakehead or something tho, it's not going back in the water alive. They destroy sportfishing.

>I enjoy fishing even when I don't catch anything
>>
>>669448
Trashed
>Almost all old growth forests are gone
>Almost all the animals are gone
>Almost every mountain pass in the west has been grazed by sheep
>There used to be shoulder high grasses in the Sierra before the sheep
>There used to be bison in Georgia
>There used to be more passenger pigeons than all the birds in the US today combined
>The great prairie has been reduced to very tiny pockets
>etc.

No one is alive to remember what it used to be; we only have historical accounts. So each new generation thinks this is the way it always has been, and continues to trash it thinking, “My little bit won’t hurt.” I’m old, and I’ve seen many changes in my lifetime, but only because I pay attention to such things
>>
>>669504
It's really easy to see what's happening down here in South FL. Every year, they push a little bit further west and north. Driving down the Sawgrass Expressway further north, everything to the west of the highway is mostly un-touched. And everything east is developed and suburbia.
>>
>>669504
If you want that kind of thing, half Canada and Russia are here for you. As humanity grow, we engineer the world to fit our needs, so it is not a surprise if land used to live on is not savage.
>>
>>669414
multiday hikes aren't always weeks at a time. Me taking my dog out for a couple 3-4 hikes occasionally won't hurt him, and doing dayhikes with him regularly won't either.
>>
>>669511
And you base that off of what? Your veterinary experience? The truth is dog's (and other short lived animals) bodies deteriorate faster than our own. Yes it's true that it may not clearly "hurt" him, but you can't ask him if his joints ache after one of your extended hikes, you can't tell him to make sure to rest it properly. Animals are not as sturdy and hardy as you may think they are, often people don't even know their best friend got a hairpin fracture while running with them till the next day.

OK, I'll admit there's no absolute rule here that you are going to give him joint problems or worsen arthritis in old age, but please consider the possibility that your dog is built for the same sort of activity a human is (protip most animals aren't, since humans have evolved a specific set of skills to be endurance hunters), and give him a break more often.
>>
>>669519
what are you basing your shit off of? I'm basing mine off of the fact that vets recommend you take dogs on walks, hikes, to the park to play, to play fetch, and that many were bred explicitly to hunt with their humans, which funnily enough doesn't occur on paved roads. It's not like I'm making my dog do 30 mile sprints with me through fucking basalt pillars, it's literally a walk in the god damned woods.
>>
My wife's an actual vet and she would say that any normal healthy dog that enjoys the outdoors would do great on long distance hikes and that it improves their quality of life because they enjoy it so much.

Of course you wouldn't take an old dog with arthritis, or a dog with hip dysplasia or luxating patellas on some huge trip. But a healthy dog does absolutely great.
>>
>>669508
>lived in Boca from 69-78.
>used to see snakes, turtles, gators etc. all the time
>remember when there was barely anything west of I-95
>mother remembers seeing a panther, dead on the side of Alligator alley
>>
>>669522
Known veterinary medicine.

>But vets say take them to the park and on walks
Yes, and that does not equate to multi day long hikes in mountainous terrain. They say this to get owners to get off their fat asses for an hour or two every day or so to let the dog get a minimum level of exercise as is healthy.
>They were bread to hunt
Yes, but that does not mean they are suited to it over the life of a pet. Pets these days live much longer lives than a work dog would when these breeds emerged due to modern medicine and of course less stressful lives. Furthermore many hunting dogs were treated rather flippantly, sent after all sorts of animals that could and would rip their throats out given the chance. Perhaps I am wrong, I assumed you thought of your dog as a treasured companion as most people these days do, and not as a living tool to corner a bear.

>It's just a walk in the woods
From your posts where you said you take multi day long "hikes" I am having trouble believing you.
>>
>>669558
One of the dudes I work with, he moved down here from NY in the late 90s. He was telling me how it was still all woods and swamp up and down 441 by Coconut Creek and Coral Springs. Everything there is super developed now.

I work a lot out in Miramar, Pembroke Pines, Weston, that area way out there by I-75. It is all completely developed and none of it looks like it is any older than 15yrs aside from a couple buildings off State Rd 84.

I go fishing off Loxahatchee Rd (so basically West Boca) and over there they are building giant fucking housing developments on top of what was prarie a couple years ago. It's like a whole new city being built just west of University.
>>
File: flPop.jpg (47KB, 634x664px) Image search: [Google]
flPop.jpg
47KB, 634x664px
>>669583
Residential AC became commonplace in the 1950s (pic)
After that FL was doomed
The next hurricane is going to ruin a lot of cheaply built homes
>Loxahatchee
That used to be all swamp.
Went to Loxahatchee NWR in sc/out/s
It's probably covered in melaleuca now
>>
>>669561
HOLY SHIT SOME DOGS ARE LITERALLY BRED TO RUN HUNDREDS OF MILES THROUGH THE GOD DAMN TUNDRA.

Regardless of if it's a 7 day walk through the woods or a 2 hours walk through the woods it's still just a walk in the fucking woods. My dog enjoys it, I enjoy it, go fuck yourself. I don't even know why I'm arguing this, the most I've done is camp with my dog for one night on a 10 acre lake island.

I cannot comprehend how stupid you are. Call a vet and ask if camping with it is bad for its health.

Pic related, my dog on one of those island camping trips.
>>
>>669561
see
>>669530

you fucking buttmunch
>>
>>668753
FUCKIN SPYDERCO! Im glad im not the only one with this thought. Yea we get it its great steel. but i like my thumb stud folders.
>>
>>668829
Im more concerned about the strange individuals ive passed on hikes than animals. concealed carry .380s are your friend.
>>
>>669404
The United States stopped controlling Forest Fires decades ago.

Sure nature, is savage, but the idea is that it doesn't need us interfering anymore than we already have.
>>
>>669734
>Stopped decades ago
Maybe if you mean stopped doing controlled burns yes, now they make sure nothing burns and are making the problem much worse when accidental blazes happen.
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-20-21-59-47.png (4MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-20-21-59-47.png
4MB, 2560x1440px
>I honestly believe most would be better served with a straight up butchers knife rather than a thick lump of dull stainless steel.
>>
>>668981
I carry one when hiking to guarantee fire even after days of rain
>>
File: 1310483412100.jpg (34KB, 413x395px) Image search: [Google]
1310483412100.jpg
34KB, 413x395px
>>668804
>waterproof
>boots
>>
>>669668
pic looks amazing anon. Getting a basic hammock and adopting a dog are two things I look forward to doing when I move out.
>>
>>668958
This 100%
A nice set of fishing pliers are hard to beat. I picked up a pair of Calcutta billet aluminum fishing pliers for $20US. Great grip for lipping fish, has built in cutters and a braided line cutter. Has a nice lanyard I can attach to my belt loop so I never worry about them falling in the water (most of my fishing is done from a kayak).
10/10 purchase
>>
>>668958
>weighs less than a multi and is better
not it doesn't you fucking liar
>>
>>669812
Not that anon but I am this anon>>669811

I would guess my Calcutta fishing pliers and marttiini fillet knife (yes i use a fillet knife to cut bait, Im not packing two knives) weigh less or about the same as my wave.
Of course as I mentioned before my fishing pliers are aluminum.
>>
>>669821
>thin aluminium plier
>good one
for me the pliers on the surge is a bit weak
a good plier is heavier than almost any multi tool and a good knife is nearly as heavy.
>>
>>669825
To each their own, but we are talking about fishing. You're not going to need industrial pliers and a batoning knife.
>>
Unpopular opinion threads are great for posting unpopular opinions.
>>
>>669530
>My wife's an actual vet
well known sluts those females
>>
>>669828
for fishing i don't need a god damn thing.
i fished an awfully lot in my childhood no pliers no knife.
last time i went fishing i had my multi-tool i never used cause no reason to.
>>
>>669875
You may be correct but that doesn't make it right.
>>
>>669389
if gerber is cheap for you you must be a richfag
>>
>>669875
Most of what is posted here is know by every normal people, but unpopular on /out/
>>
>>669932
Some Gerbers aren't cheap, but my gander mtn has different ones on sale for $10-20 all the time.

That's not cheap?
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>670113
Not as sweet as my $10 switchblade.

And other anon calling you a richfag is crazy. I would say the pricing is mid-low to middle range. With low being $10 shit from Home Depot and high end being Benchmade+.
>>
>>669929
>I missed the point completely.
You could even go so far to say it is downright unpopular.
>>
File: 2015-06-08-11-55-13--717286383.jpg (34KB, 600x350px) Image search: [Google]
2015-06-08-11-55-13--717286383.jpg
34KB, 600x350px
>>669926
You should have spent less time fishing and more time improving your grammar.
>>
>>669315
>If you see a cougar, and have time to aim a gun at it, it's already decided not to kill you.
Same goes for snakes.

Buncha girly cowards on this board I tell you what.
>>
>>669887
Go take your saltiness somewhere else, this is a /comfy/ board.
>>
>shitting in rivers is both technically and legally safe
>>
>>669522
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVJHmpHH-lA

*Ahem
>>
>>670400
Meant for
>>669561
>>
>>670250
Getting killed by a cougar is badass anyway
>>
>>669668

They kinda developed along with us while we were doing the whole hunter-gatherer thing. That involved moving around a lot.

Unless it's one of those horribly inbred toy dogs or something, you're probably fine.

Also, bugfag is probably the biggest autist on /an/. Go there and you'll see his ridiculous (and often flat out wrong) BS pretty often.
>>
>>669369
>unless you are in grizzly country, or hunting, guns are not needed for animals /out/ and only carried by scared, insecure children who don't understand anything about animals
been attacked by people's dogs that aren't on their leashes, so I carry everywhere now. other than that you're right.
>>
File: Seals, Juliet Platoon, 1970.jpg (287KB, 1488x992px) Image search: [Google]
Seals, Juliet Platoon, 1970.jpg
287KB, 1488x992px
>>669329
In the tropics, jeans are great for trekking in the bush. Navy SEALs in Vietnam pioneered their use due to their durability and impermeability to bugs and leeches.
>>
>I have been innawoods in cotton pants and have not died.

Unpopular because I wore cotton and unpopular because I did not dedded myself.
>>
>>668977
>>669255
>>669315
>>669369
>all these antigun posts
I dont carry because if wild animals. I carry because A) shooting random shit in the woods is fun and B) tweakers
>>
>>670540

They mostly just did that to be cool and because nobody else was allowed to.

SEALs were a bunch of Chads way back in the day too, it's a shame but their douchbaggery isn't a new thing.
>>
>>669583
Holy shit I fish at Lox 2 and that pisses me off.
The only good thing is that the road built on University can get me to Lox alot faster.
>>
>>670454
What, you can't make a dog?
>>
>>669275
>maybe if you have really expensive multitool
charge is like $140 minimum
>>
>>670454
dogs and bears are not my concern, people with guns that make me worried
you simply can't do shit if a random dude decides he wants your stuff or ass and he has a gun and you don't.
guns are great equalizers people who don1t carry are stupid deluded faggots.
>>
>>669490
Sorry to be the one to break this to you, but you've actually killed around one-third of what you caught.
>>
>>670141
fishes don't care for grammer
>>
>>669315
>If you see a cougar, and have time to aim a gun at it, it's already decided not to kill you.

not exactly true sometimes they miss the insta kill and won't let go they will maul you bad unless you have a knife or gun.
many people killed cougars that attacked them.

if you are worried about the backjumpers there are measures you can take but the best thing is be conscious of your movements. if you know what triggers an ambush from a cat you know exactly when it will come if it comes.
>>
>>669668
Well you should have just said you owned a sled dog from the beginning silly.
>>
>>670277
haha, the fuck it is
>>
File: dog.jpg (101KB, 900x642px) Image search: [Google]
dog.jpg
101KB, 900x642px
>>671358
Unfortunately not. I've tried before and I just can't get it quite right :(
>>
>>671391
if your are really /out/ who is out there to rob you?
if you are days from the trail head, anyone else out there is has to be carrying their own stuff too
>rape
i guess. but I'm not a tender little beta youngling. are you especially cute and girly?
>>
I dont get why people carrying a gun in the woods bothers people so much, like nigga close your eyes
>>
>>671449
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj4LnfkdJDM
>implying you have to be cute and girly
>>
>>671615
>can't tell the difference between movies and reality
besides, Ned Beatty is girly
>>
>>669136
>I think that "full tang" refers to width.
>I also want you to take my opinions seriously.
>>
>>669152
In the US, there aren't real "commons" anymore. Ranchers lease the right to use land owned by state or federal entities, however.
>>
I am firmly of the opinion that pretty much every piece of mid range equipment, with the exception of boots, is good enough unless you plan on tackling something that is consistently deadly.

For instance, I did the GR20 in a very solid pair of boots with a good range of socks. Everything else was a complete mashup of stuff I had from over the years. Old Berghaus t shirts, some stuff I had from the Army, a G Shock mudman and two pair of lightweights.

Most of the other people there had at least 2000 euros of gear. It was ridiculous and unnecessary. I don't mind what people spend their money on but the idea that its required is stupid. If its solid, proven and well made then that's all that matters.
>>
>>669369
>talks about ecosystem this and that
>encourages you to hike off trail

Your opinions are not only unpopular, they're fucking dumb
>>
>>668736
Teva sandals + wool socks = DILLIGAF shoes

It doesn't matter if you call it a Liner, Ponco, 1 each, individual, NSN 1234567890, or a Woobie; as long as you have one when you need it.

SAK + Vise Grips > Leatherman

If you bitch about the taste of food, you're not hungry.

My opinions are not yours, and it really doesn't bother me that we disagree, as it gives us something to talk about around the campfire.
>>
Going on trails is lame and you are just walking the same place thousands of others have, nothing is unique about your experience and you are not truly walking in nature.

People who don't like survival/milsurp/bushcraft shouldn't go out, just go walk on a road or something since you don't want to interact with nature, you just want to use your fance 1000$ tent, rocket stove, etc.

If you think making fires, cutting trees, etc is "trashing nature" you are a scrub that clearly never have been in actual wilderness.
>>
>>672310
This faggot
>>
>>672303
>My opinions are not yours, and it really doesn't bother me that we disagree, as it gives us something to talk about around the campfire.

I think I like you
>>
>>672310
Lol that you think batoning a tree with a big shitty knife is more of an interaction with nature than going hiking or camping.
>>
>>669147
Agreed.
>>
>>671409
*mace
>>
Hikers shouldn't be allowed to use trails created and built by mountain bikers and motorcyclists. If they do use the trails then it should be open season to run them down like offleash dogs
>>
>>669315
So buy it a drink and be gentle to its nipples until it indicates otherwise. Nobody else needs to know, especially if you used the partial names of two different friends to throw it off your scent afterwards.
>>
File: 119Tang.jpg (28KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
119Tang.jpg
28KB, 800x600px
>>669136
When did full tang and stick tang become mutually exclusive? Pic related is both.
>>
File: CIMG1845.jpg (208KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
CIMG1845.jpg
208KB, 1024x768px
>>672310
>actual wilderness
How is your bushcraft going to work here?
>>
File: read_the_sticky.jpg (1MB, 3041x4728px) Image search: [Google]
read_the_sticky.jpg
1MB, 3041x4728px
>>672310
>>
>>672598
>>672310
You eedjits do know there's room for us to leave high-traffic areas as close to leave no trace as possible and still have room for folks to whack their bushes all they want, right? You just have to put each in a containment zone and set the boundaries wisely. Same thing for mountain biking, 4 wheeling, snowmobiling. No reason to argue so nobody gets what they want when everybody can actually have what they want with application of common sense.

>i know, don't talk common sense on 4chan
>>
>>672351
Thanks, anon

What are your opinions?
>>
>>669169

> I don't get it, were you raped by a dog on day 3 of a hike or something? Why do you care?

fucking lol
>>
>>672119
underrated post
>>
>>672119
>>673028
There are places in the world where there are no trails
Are we not supposed to go there at all?
>>
>>669734
They still do controlled burns here in Florida, at least state parks
>>
>>669369
>most campfires are romanticized cosplay for assholes who don't realize how much they are damaging the ecosystem by having one

as long as you keep it small and controlled it will not damage the ecosystem
>>
>>673263
Your individual fire might not, but if every body collects all the local wood and burns it, it sure does
I've seen places so cleaned out that every burnable scrap of wood has been collected and incinerated
This has a large impact on the ecosystem, especially in areas that have a shorter growing season, like high altitudes
>>
>>672594
This was covered by 20 meters of ice and snow just a few decades ago.

To answer your question, walk 4 more hours and you are back to the forest.
>>
>>673398
No, it was not covered in snow and ice 2 decades ago. I was there

The forest 1 day down is not much of a forest, it's very dry

And what if you're on the way up, not down?
>>
>>668736

>hunting deer from a blind is for fags, double faggotry if you're using bait or feeders

pretty sure we almost all agree with this statement so I wouldnt classify it as "unpopular"
>>
>>673508
Really? Blinds are everywhere in the forest.
>>
>>673504
I have seen enough of theses former glaciers to recognize one when I see one. We clearly see the path of ice on the picture. There is a moraine. Maybe it was 50 years ago, but there were a glacier here.
>>
>>669380
it's the wild niggers that are the issue
>>
>>672589
full tang is generally considered to be the full width of the blade as well as the full length, at least recently. I'm not saying it's right, just saying that seems to be what people think.
>>
File: 2012-02-26 03.59.20.jpg (2MB, 2608x1956px) Image search: [Google]
2012-02-26 03.59.20.jpg
2MB, 2608x1956px
>>673514
THat's because there are a lot of casuals out there who don't appreciate the hunt.
Also I take it one step further. I don't approve of hunting with optics. One should learn to stalk and creep to their prey instead of sitting on some ridge 500 yards away.

Video related. The only true /out/ way to hunt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6XSHx1IU0s
>>
>>673540
and this great video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqxfgu6IRWQ
>>
>>673540
why is that pussy using binoculars?
A real man wouldn't need those
>>
>>673559
What the kek did you just say to me ? I'll have you know my dad works at Hasbro and can have you ended by tomorrow
>>
>>669149
>The eastern states in general are pretty lousy for outdoor recreation because of the lack of public land

dont remind me anon

>tfw i finally get a chance to move west and out of this shitty state.
>>
Hiking with more than 20lbs of gear and using a pack with a frame (internal or ex) in weather above 0 degrees F is for people who aren't comfortable outdoors
>>
>>669734
>The United States stopped controlling Forest Fires decades ago.
AHAHAHAHA
They only stopped putting out every little fire /maybe/ ten years ago at best. Ask any ranger in the San Isabel area, the ENTIRE mountain range is a giant matchbox they're literally counting down the days till it burns to the ground. All the fire service has done in the last three years there is cut massive fire breaks to prepare.
>>
>>671795
>>I think that "full tang" refers to width.
>I don't know the difference between a rat tail tang and a full size one
>>
>>673741
Doesn't that depend entirely on duration of trip and location? Even at the base of the Rockies you can go from forecasted 40 degrees and clear to -15 and four feet of snow in a single night.
>>
>>668747
So bringing three multipurpose knives is not too much? The more you know
>>
>>673778
>-15
Is -15F above 0F now? I knew Farhenheit waz cray but you Yanks are taking it a bit too far.
>>
>>674117
The.fuck.do.you.mean.
>>
>>674117
40F is above zero.

What he's saying is that in some places the weather can change unexpectedly, out of season, and without any warning. While it might be reasonably warm on your trip, you have to be able to survive the 50+ degree drop in temperature with the gear you're carrying.
>>
>>674195
>What he's saying is that in some places the weather can change unexpectedly, out of season, and without any warning
Yeah, pretty much what I was saying. You could have forecasts for ~20 degree weather all night long and the suddenly lol -10 blizzard with five feet of snow
>>
Boots are overrated and only necessary for deep snow
>>
>>669369
>survivor shows have created a generation of people who think they have to beat on nature in order to survive /out/ or fulfill their glamorized survival fantasies

This so goddamn much
>>
>/k/ and /pol/ ruin this board so much
>/r9k/ and the MGTOW movement are a disgrace to masculinity, and trick unaware betas into thinking that there isn't anything actually wrong with them
>I can't stand tacticool "make every interaction with nature a dire survival scenario" type people
>People who go into nature looking for an inspiring and sublime experience are far better than people who treat it like "their manly duty to beat the elements"
>American boy scouts isn't what it used to be, just a bunch of eagle scout mills
>tumblr actually has a lot of really good nature aesthetic blogs

fight me
>>
>>673540

>real men hunt wit der bear hands.

fuck off.
>>
>>676238
>fight me

I don't beat women.
>>
File: IMG_3311.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3311.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>676238
>/k/ and /pol/ ruin this board so much
Can't we all just get along.
>>
>>668745
what happens if your tools get fucked up?
it's really the same term ideology

>that guy who brings flint and steel instead of a lighter
>>
File: 1453955239726.jpg (52KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1453955239726.jpg
52KB, 960x720px
>>676280
/k/ and /pol/ are what make this board

>not shitting in a geocache while clutching your sks
>>
File: 1374683346272.jpg (3KB, 126x122px) Image search: [Google]
1374683346272.jpg
3KB, 126x122px
>>676238
>>
>>676238
>>676280
>>676305
Don't ask don't tell. I browse /k/, /pol/ and /out/, but why mention it. Just keep topics in their proper boards and everything's fine.
>>
>>668736
I was with you completely until
>Softshells are silly

Why? They're fucking great. Great all-purpose jackets. Breaks the wind, water resistant (not proof) and acts as a great layer.
>>
>>668747
Camping mattress is extremely important in the cols seasons because it disconnects you from the cold ground
>>
>>669130

This. I have been a professional guide for two years, worked as a backcountry EMT, done forestry and trailbuilding work, etc. and tons of professionals wear cotton. It's only yuppie custies who are like OMG COTTON KILLS. I think it's mostly a lie perpetuated by the outdoor industry so you'll buy rad gear. I wear cotton ALL THE TIME outside and yuppies are constantly giving me shit about it. Pretty much unless it's very cold and very wet you'll be fine.
>>
> firearms are a useful part of a backcountry kit
> all bolts should be chopped
> parks and forests should not build trails, all backcountry access should be off-trail
>>
>>669261
Why not just carry them, then?
I'm pretty sure I'm manly enough to carry my pack and a 60 lb dog.
>>
File: ted.jpg (52KB, 620x387px) Image search: [Google]
ted.jpg
52KB, 620x387px
Ankle support is a meme.

/k/ ruins this board

Barefoot is better for you

Trails are fine, but you've never truly been outdoors if you stay on trails. People who say "muh don't go off trail" are fucking idiots.

Teddy was right
>>
>>676454
>implying it's that simple
>implying /r9k/, /k/ (to a lesser extent) and /pol/ don't have very distinct personalities that can be seen from a mile away

No one has to actually say they are from these places for people to know. It's that obvious.
>>
>>676611
100% agreed, I just had this debate a few minutes ago in person
>>
>>672594
Is this the eastern sierras?
>>
>>668985
Just keep on walking towards the car dear
>>
>>668784
>batoning a protester
fucking kek
>>
>>668751
Try digging in rocky ground with a knife dumbass.
>>
>>676292
A lighter is flint and steel, it just also has an excellerant.
>>
>>669134
Great point, I'll think about that next time I say goodbye to my 2.45 kids and head off to statistical national forest for the week.
>>
File: 1453095304921s.jpg (2KB, 102x125px) Image search: [Google]
1453095304921s.jpg
2KB, 102x125px
>>668867
>full tang knives
>useless

Nah man
>>
>>668736
Here,s one for you, fag. Making post in a message board on the Internet about outdoors shit, and not actually going outdoors. It's absolute,y amazing how people before the time of four chan survived outdoors. I got my Eagle Scout over ten or so years ago and have never had these faggot worries cross my brain if I decide to go camp. Pro tip. Things that have worked before four chan will work with out four chan.
>>
>>678331
Nigger, quit acting like if you can't do t better than the next guy then you are a caulker
>>
>>678331

Yeah! Fuck those fucking faggots that having the audacity to discuss hobbies on the internet.
>>
Cotton clothing is fine for going innawoods. I've "braved" heavy blizzards and other nasty winter weather like freezing rain and 40mph wind gusts with a simple cotton parka, mostly because I'm too lazy to get my poncho out of my pack when I'm already walking.

Tightly woven cotton fabric is practically windproof, and from my experience, if you layer properly, you won't even get wet even when your outer cotton shell is completely soaked from heavy rain/snowfall. Rain just can't get all the way through a thick cotton shell and into my insulating layers and if it's cold enough the snow will just sit and freeze on the cotton instead of soaking in.

I'm convinced at this point that the people preaching that "cotton kills" are just angry that I'm not buying their overpriced plastic coats and I can't really see why you'd need one unless you work on a boat.
>>
>>668882
holes in knifes for either design embelishing or looks is stupid, weakens the blade, and makes cleaning/using them harder. NO REAL WEIGHT SAVINGS EITHER.
>>
>>669130
its recommended for hot/dry weather even. Wool is recommended for wet/cold weather. Different things for different weather people. DO NOT USE A HATCHET to fell a living tree. Just get a AXE/wood saw. Longer handle the better/blade.
>>
>>669217
leave no trace, hard to do without bringing your own bedding/shelter. Building shelter DESTROYS locations and damages the local environment. Also creates large wood piles that dry out and start fires.
>>
>>678366
no idea how you think cotton-hate is is a meme
it literally never dries out

have fun with trenchfoot/hypothermia

>>678368
how is this controversial

>>678370
there's still better things for the heat desu. namely synthetics.

>>678371
agree. if you're not:
a.) actually surviving
b.) on your own property
then bushcrafting a shelter is lame as fuck
>>
>>676611
>Ankle support is a meme
i'd rather not sprain my ankle miles deep in the backcountry

>>675734
i agree theyre not usually necessary but not sure how they're overrated. boots and sports sandals is the ultimate combo.

>>674048
lol

>>669380
depending on where you are I'd at least bring bear spray. but if youre dispersed camping not far from other people having a gun can't be a bad idea.

>>669370
biggest issue with gerber is that like.. alll of their products are half-serrated.

>>670540
like the other poster said, walking in wet jeans fucking sucks. they chaff like you wouldnt believe.... muh knees......
>>
>>678366
you've completely misunderstood the cotton kills concept

cotton as an outer layer (provided it's manufactured to be that way) is fine, you can buy natural untreated cotton garments that are windproof and waterproof, it's known as 'ventile' (developed during WW2 for fighter pilots to wear when ditching into water)

the main problem is with average joes wearing a typical loose knit cotton shirt next to skin with often little protection over it, absorbing sweat and rain, it never dries out and has a chilling effect in wind, cotton wont lead to your death everywhere, but in wet temperate climates it can lead to death/hypothermia quicker than another more suitable material
>>
>>678366
An outer shell is the least problematic place for cotton (even preferred by some in very cold conditions). Insulation (t-shirts, flannel shirts, hoodies) is the problematic part. What do you mean by "layering properly" then?
>>
>>676238
I agree wholeheartedly with you on everything you posted there, especially concerning the "go to nature to beat it" mentality. An adversarial attitude to the rest of living world is probably the main reason why we're going through a mass extinction right now.
>>
>>678485
Treating nature as a challenge and proving ground is one of the better ways to find challenge, and not related to exploiting it at all.
>>
>>678499
That's a bit of a grey area for me, but I kind of agree with you. I've met too many people who use Genesis 1:28 as a pillar of their moral codes, but even then, there's plenty of non-extractivist Christians that I've met.

I think for me, it's the classic pioneer mindset that makes me somewhat nervous. The idea of settling an area, subduing it, and "civilizing" it. So many pioneers probably loved the places they moved to, but their arrival unintentionally may have destroyed what made those places have value in the first place. And by that, I'm not talking about abstract financial value, through the method of degrading living things to resources. Something more spiritual, I guess.
>>
Hatchets are inefficient and unsafe. If you can't baton with a knife it's a shitty knife. People who complain about /k/ need to be more tolerant, the mods don't let us talk about anything but weapons there and like rapefugees our mentality can't just be turned off.
>>
>>678684
>Hatchets are inefficient and unsafe.
kek 10/10 made me reply
>>
>>668747
I could've seen that you were a namefag and dismissed your post before I had to read all that bullshit
>>
>>669261
If they're little dogs or they're one of those fucked up inbred breeds from the victorian era, then maybe. But those aren't the kind of dogs you want to have as a sc/out/ anyways.
>>
>>678724
prove me wrong. a saw is faster, and a big knife can chop small branches just as well as a hatchet, plus it's a knife. Plus you don't have to worry about chopping into your leg when batoning, the worst you can do is a finger cut.
>>
>>678759
>saw is faster
no it's not, cutting across with a saw is slightly faster after a certain diameter and slightly slower under a certain diameter, splitting is always faster with an axe than with a saw or your silly batoning knife much faster. so overall processing firewood is faster.
>you don't have to worry about chopping into your leg
wtf? how do you think that would work?
>>
>>669255
The one about shoes is actually a very popular opinion anon, only people who say otherwise are trying to sell you shoes over the internet/got sold shoes over internet and either got lucky enough to get a decent fit anyway or are defensive of their poor choices.
>>
>>669147
Here on the east coast. Bike trails are bike trails and hike trails are hike trails. But let's talk about the real problem horses on hiking trails shitting everywhere.
>>
>>669791
What the fuck do you wear the winter while walking through snow?
>>
File: carlos.jpg (6KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
carlos.jpg
6KB, 225x225px
>>668985

That's very earie!
>>
>>678952
I think what that poster was saying is that no boots are truly waterproof
In fact, "waterproof" boots will not only get wet inside, but they will take longer to dry than regular boots
If you are really expecting a wet time, boots that dry faster are better than "waterproof" boots
>>
>>678684
>Stop complaining about other boards
>Hurrdurr rapefugees
>>
File: 1444797075878.gif (412KB, 245x180px) Image search: [Google]
1444797075878.gif
412KB, 245x180px
>>679373
underated post.
>>
>>668867
obviously you don't have a hand-me-down buck knife that makes the knife in a multitool seem like a spoon
>>
>>669132
nice skirt
>>669280
>you don't need ultralight premium gear to go camping
this x1000, no matter what you bring, after you eat for a few days your bag will feel like a cloud
>>669369
>>most of the posters here are edgy manchildren with little /out/ experience
pretty clear

>>669369
>>most campfires are romanticized cosplay for assholes who don't realize how much they are damaging the ecosystem by having one
elaborate?
>>
File: r842839_7882451.jpg (87KB, 700x394px) Image search: [Google]
r842839_7882451.jpg
87KB, 700x394px
I like hunting and eating animals, I think that they are lesser beings and are rightfully subjugated by the likes of me and you too. The only rights Animals have are to not be treated with undue cruelty by humans/ genocide.

You can't talk about hunting on /k/, you should be allowed to here. I don't really see any hunting generals and when I do it is often co-opted by bile spewing oversensitive types who would rather just behave like children than pose an actual argument.
>>
>>676611
>Teddy was right

that doesn't seem like an unpopular opinion given the board and website we're on
>>
>>676292
then you know you bought a shitty tool. i've been using the same knife and ax for 22 years and still no problems. a storm won't break a tool, it will break a tent.
>>
>>678684

>batonfag
>is from /k/

I smell a false flag.
>>
File: 1422599606718.png (429KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1422599606718.png
429KB, 600x600px
>>669365
>He think there is skinwalkers out there

You mean there aren't?
>>
>>669522
>It's not like I'm making my dog do 30 mile sprints with me through fucking basalt pillars,

lel
>>
>>668867
>I like titanium knives. For the use they realistically see they're always better than steel because they're lighter and as tough or more.
Then explain why the blades on my Leatherman Charge Titanium is made out of stainless steel.
>>
File: IMG_20151216_175441.jpg (2MB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151216_175441.jpg
2MB, 2448x2448px
>>676238
>not being both pol and k by joining the /k/k/k/
noguns shitskin confirmed.
>>
>>669255
>Survival is when you don't have your gears. When you have them it is called camping. If your choices make camping look like surviving, you just made bad choices.
Well said. I would shake your hand if you said that in front of me.
>>
>>669298
>I'm comfortable doing it my way and anyone else who doesn't do it that way is a pussy.
Get over yourself. Mountain lion attacks are uncommon but not unheard of. Dude wants a gun and can legally have it? Then they have that right.
>>
I see people mention tweakers alot. Do you guys actually have drug addicts hanging out inner woods? Seems like the worst place a speed freak would want to hang.
>>
>>681603
Supposedly, I have some property in rural Madera county in CA. Never really go there but my neighbors tell me its a problem. They go there to cook meth because few people are around, and if shit blows up then who cares. My neighbors let the air out of their cars tires and call the Sheriff.
>>
>>681609
>My neighbors let the air out of their cars tires and call the Sheriff.
Kek
>>
>>669255
++1, I like you!
>>
>>670311
funny how most everywhere they want pissing/shitting 200ft away from water sources, but when I through hiked zion narrows they wanted you to piss in the river(had to pack out shit, however)
>>
>>671449
I have my woman with me and there's no way I'm letting some nig nogs rape dem sweet meats.
>>
>>682044
>nig nogs
>out
choose one
>>
>>681469
>elaborate?
At high altitudes, there is very little time during the year for carbon fixation. The plants have a short season to pull carbon from the air and put it into the ecosystem. This carbon forms the base of the food chain that allows every other organism to survive. If it is all burned, there is less of everything (e.g. organisms that eat decaying wood, the organisms that eat those organisms, the organisms that eat those organisms etc.) If you are a hunter, there is less stuff to hunt if every body goes up there and burns all the wood. Since everybody thinks think their little fire doesn’t add to this problem, most of the wood gets burned. This is compounded by the fact that no one alive today remembers what nature was like before everyone burned everything or grazed it all with sheep. Unless you are a biologist, or a historian, you know nothing about this, so you keep beating on what is left, ignorant of what you are doing.

At low places, where people visit frequently, the same thing happens. Even though there is a longer season for carbon fixation, human impact is so severe that every scrap of wood is burned. Most people have never seen a forest, especially Europeans. They have seen tree farms or managed woodlands. A forest has standing dead trees and tons of downed material. In heavily camped places, this has all been burned. Again, this wood is the base of the food chain and habitat for organisms. Most people have never been to someplace where all of the downed wood hasn’t been burned, so they think what they are seeing is normal. Only through experience, age, and observation do people realize how little is left. When you revisit someplace you have camped 20 years later, and see your footprints, you begin to understand. Obviously, places with higher turnover are more resilient, but no place is immune.

tl;dr There is nothing left that is pristine, and your little bit contributes to this.
>>
File: 4L_i35qfzJ5.jpg (41KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
4L_i35qfzJ5.jpg
41KB, 480x360px
>>682150
Here in the prairies we need more fire
>tfw only 1% of eco-region remains
>>
>>682153
In many ecosystems, increasing fire frequencies can allow the spread of invasive annual species like Avena barbata, displacing the perennial natives
>>
>>676292
i think flint and steel is a really good way to light my alcohol stove
>>
>>668736
What is your preferred snivel layer if you don't like wool?

Down? Fleece? Is there anything apart from fleece, down and wool?
>>
>>676238
>/k/ and /pol/
I agree with pol, but this is sorta the containment board for talking about camping gear made so that people wouldn't talk about it on /k/, just like /pol/ was originally containment for /int/. Talking about /k/ related stuff in context with /out/ is 100% on topic.

>MGTOW
I don't think there's something wrong with you if you are a beta fggt who can't or doesn't want to get married, I'd rather those people own up to it and become MGTOWs than go around being cucks for feminism or trying to make relationships work when they aren't good at them. But I don't have to worry about that because I'm married.

>tacticool/muh nature
Maybe not everyone is as druidic as you? I like hard /v/ and I like hard /out/, deal with it.

>muh tumblr
And also porn, tumblr being 100% social justice blogs is incorrect.
>>
>>678551
Ugh, you druids make me just as sick as people that don't respect nature.

Nature is a fucking resource, but one that we need to preserve and/or renew.

The problem with people that don't "leave no trace" in wilderness areas isn't that they are disturbing the earthmother and preying on living things, it's because they are ruining it for other people who also want to have fun.
>>
>>684213
>snivel layer
nigga wat

Also polyester is ok if you're not in extreme conditions
Thread posts: 276
Thread images: 36

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.