[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you survive a high fall into water?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

File: image.jpg (712KB, 2048x1418px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
712KB, 2048x1418px
Pencil dive? What do you do with your arms?
I also read that your chin is supposed to be tucked in and head down, but that seems rather uncomfortable.

I basically watched this video on Facebook about a guy who jumped off the Golden Gate Bridge and then in mid air changed his mind and decided he wanted to live (just look up Kevin Hines), so he basically took the brunt of the impact on his feet and legs. The bridge has a 98% fatality rate.
>>
Sorry for all the typos and repetitive words, didn't read it over.
>>
>>667972
try don't fall in first place.
>>
in this case i believe you really do hold your nose closed, as you could drown on your own shock. otherwise i have no experience.
>>
>>667972
doesnt it have a suicide net now
>>
>>668031
no
>>
I used to cliff jump, we'd cover our balls and hold our nose. When you are just in the water put your feet forward and then spread out star jump style to slow down.

Not sure if it's the best method but it did the job for us jumping high into water of questionable depth (we hit the bottom a few times but because our momentum was going kinda forward/diagonal we kinda skimmed the bottom. Never keep your legs stiff, also buttcheek clench is recommended, it caught me off guard a few times where I got an ass full of water
>>
In the USMC they taught us to cross our legs over each other, cross our arms over our chest and to tuck our chin. This was for jumping off of a ship.
>>
>>668212
what part do you land on? your ass? your front? your head?
>>
>>668225
You stay standing up straight like a pencil so your heels take the brunt of the force. I'd imagine if the height is more than a few stories you'd easily break your legs.
>>
>>668536
This, the key is to break the surface tension as best you can, usually people do this by using their feet/heels to sort of cut into the water. If you hit with a large area (belly on for instance) the surface tension and cohesion will push back at you hard enough to be the same as hitting concrete.
>>
Similar, did some jumping at a spot in PA, about 45-50 at the most. I did crossed arms, clenched my ass, and bent my legs a bit. Tried to lean back a bit just as I hit, anything to not hit straight up and down. Did that once and pulled a back muscle as the shock load came right up and my back acted like a spring.
>>
>>667972
hands close to body, legs first, straight position
>>
Everyone who's survived off the Golden Gate has landed feet first, knees slightly bent, wearing sturdy boots.
>>
>carry a rock in your pocket
>throw the rock at the water right before you land
>breaks the surface
>ez survival
>>
>>667972
He got lucky, mostly. In interviews with people that survive suicide by jumping off of things, most survivors claim they changed their minds on the way down.

Probably most of the people that die change their minds on the way down as well.
>>
>>667972
my understanding is that you put your legs together with your toes over the top of each others

chin tucked, nose covered with one hand, genitals covered with the other.

not sure about your breath
>>
>>668902
>bring hundreds of rocks
>start throwing them all at water
>thermodynamics, every rock you throw slows your descent
>throw them fast enough and you start to levitate
>faster still and you can fly away
>>
>>667972
flail as much as possible
>>
From what I read in some meme survival book: Feet together, arms cupping balls, clenching of the butt (water can shoot up your colon). Once in water assume jumping jacks stance to slow descent
>>
File: DEMO.png (14KB, 787x384px) Image search: [Google]
DEMO.png
14KB, 787x384px
Oh right, just remembered, what you are supposed to do once your legs/feet get past the water is to curve your body so you change some of your momentum into sideways momentum instead of quite possibly smashing your legs against the bottom of whatever you are falling into.
>>
Falling on solid land: breathe out before landing. If your lungs are full, you could tear your lungs on impact because of the quick bending over on impact (assuming frog landing / parkour roll).

Anyone have any idea if this applies to falling in water?
>>
>>668031
They're trying to install one, but it's a massive undertaking, so it won't be for a while, if they ever do.
>>
>>668902
retard science folks.

the "surface tension" of the water has fuck all to do with hitting it at terminal velocity.

to put this in real real simple terms, you cant move the water out of the way fast enough (displacement) to mitigate the force caused by the impact.

when people survive that kind of fall its nothing short of a miracle and there is literally nothing you can do that gaurantees survival.

best you can do is hope to better your already very dismal odds
>>
>>669659
this is advice for potentially shallow water.

if you try to do this at terminal velocity it will most likely snap you in half. seriously
>>
>>670511
>you can't move water out of the way fast enough
Yes. Due to the surface tension. Hurr durr go fuck yourself.
>>
>>670511

yeah dude, you can cut through the water.
you actually can move it out of the way fast enough, it all depends on your approach and if you install a cone on legs
>>
File: antm092408_18.jpg (11KB, 293x220px) Image search: [Google]
antm092408_18.jpg
11KB, 293x220px
>>667972
Don't forget to clench your sphincter if you are going feet first

Another way I heard of was putting your hands in front of you, then twisting your arms so one is over the other, clasping your hands, then putting that over you head. Hard to explain, but it is sort of like pic related.
>>
File: image.jpg (52KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
52KB, 400x400px
>throw a bar of soap in the water right before you hit
>100% survival rate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03YmtX-lFkQ&t=0m54s
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.