[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alpaca wool blankets

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 3

File: blanket.jpg (68KB, 500x313px) Image search: [Google]
blanket.jpg
68KB, 500x313px
Hey /out/ I'm working on getting a source of wool blankets and hats from peru. its alpaca wool products as per my search. its really cheap compared to anything you will be able to source in the US its as good and better then standard sheep's wool. and if you're allergic to sheep's wool alpaca is a great alternative.

Currently waiting for my source [a friend of mine that I trust] to find some he can buy in markets and then send off to me. the cost of each product will be determined by each shipment and total cost of each unit.

So would anyone on /out/ who's state side, maybe even Canada be interested?

>I'm not looking into turning this into any business or even making a profit, just gonna charge enough to break even. Maybe gonna buy as many blankets as I can without the shipping getting crazy.
>>
I'd actually like an alpaca blanket. That sounds comfy.
>>
>>667577
Yeah sure, been thinking about getting some wool fabric for a blanket, if you can offer a decent deal on good quality stuff I'd be in.
>>
I wouldn't mind one. How much would so ell one for and what are the dimensions?
>>
>>667591
>>667592
Yup, he said by the end of this week he'll have some prices from different areas.

I was pretty clear on it has to be 100% wool tho. and he said they are and really cheap...

when I get more info I'll setup an email and some way to transfer funds safely. planning to just use paypal tho, because everyone trust it for the most part..

I told him color doesn't matter for me personally, but maybe we should agree on a couple of colors?
>>
>>667596
*you sell
Jesus christ android
>>
>>667598
I'm interested.
As for colors that I personally prefer:
Grey
Brown (any shade)
Sand colored?

For instance I love the one you have pictured in op
>>
>>667596
since its a friend of mine that said he would just go around town and search for vendors of them, I'm not sure the sizing just yet, I assume if they are blankets, at least to cover a normal sized human being...

And I'm just guessing here by the hat prices he said that cost in that area, but the cost should be no more then 50 dollars? no promises until the end of this week from me on a ball park price.

I don't know what and if these blankets have to go through customs or something coming into the US because they are an "animal product" after all...
>>
>>667606
well if he post pictures of the ones at the markets, ill surely repost them here so we can get an idea of patterns and colors they have available.
>>
>>667598
>100% wool
Perfect.

>color
Well personally I don't really have much preference, as long as it isn't died bright pink or something. Subdued or darker solid colors would be my personal preference, but please don't let me influence your choice too much.

This is a really great project, godspeed and good luck.
>>
>>667611
so far from the posts the colors should be in the earth tone ranges.

I'd like something more colorful personally but that's because I'm a fruitcake.
>>
Would be cool to have some Peruvian designs instead of plain Jane blankets
>>
canada here, i'd be in however i expect shipping would likely double the price. blankets are bulky and heavy
>>
In for a queen size!
>>
>>667577
I have a bunch of alpaca stuff from when I was in Peru and Chile. The fun of the stuff is from your memory of the Shitty little street stall you bought it from.

Also, beware, fellow anons, most of the stuff they sell for tourists are really not rugged. Of all the alpaca stuff I bought, only a rough spun poncho that I'd trust with the north American outdoors while some alpaca blankets I'd only trust to the blanket.
>>
>>667826
>I'd only trust to the blanket.
I'd only trust to the sofa.*derp
>>
>>667826
True, but I sort of assumed that OP's friend would steer clear of total tourist scams. Actually I just realized I assumed OP's friend was a native for some reason and that he would get something of a decent quality by knowing where to look, but that assumption is totally independent of the facts presented in the thread. Dur.

Anyways, if op should want to tell his friend a good rule of thumb for good quality are ther easy tests you would recommend for telling good constructed blankets from bad? their weight perhaps? Or a close up picture of the weave?
>>
>>667836

Well heavy weight is generally better. The stuff the locals wear also generally refrains from the crazy patterns and have rougher weaves, hell, I can still find small pieces of thorn in the poncho I bought, which I assume were mixed in with the wool when it was shorn from the alpaca. Regardless of how It's made, due to alpaca wool being what it is, it will still suffer more pilling in my experience.

Cheap, simple and rough is always better for this sort of thing. For the stuff I bought to use myself, I didn't pay more than 15 bucks/equivilent Peruvian soles/Chilean pesos when I was there.
>>
>>667591
They are comfy. I bought one in Peru in 1983 or thereabouts, it kept me sane through 2 more trips to Antarctica. It sees about 4 months of use every year, gets a tour through the washer and dryer about every 2 years.

A little worn, but still very toasty. Cats like it.
>>
File: download (42).jpg (7KB, 227x222px) Image search: [Google]
download (42).jpg
7KB, 227x222px
>>668714
Are you trying to shill something to me again?
>>
>>668714
These bots aren't even subtle anymore.
>>
>>668714
Thank you, David M!

Can you make that an emedded hyperlink, I do not want to have to type all that in!
>>
>>668448
life story pls
>>
Op here. Dont worry guys I havent forgotten. I've been lurking like a good faggot.
>>
'Kay, will continue waiting.
>>
>>667577
id buy one. i dont give a shit what color it is so long as its 100% and big enough to wrap myself up in,
>>
>>669720
This
>>
>>669552
Retired Coastie. Google Operation Deep Freeze. I did 80 through 83, then 85 and 86.
>>
Canada here.

would suggest OP have one sent to test out the quality first. safest way to be sure. nothing worse than ending up with 50 of a bad product.

I'd need to know price and size. and if it's blended or what. I'd expect 50/50wool/alpaca. Alpaca is a hollow fiber like a lot of goat hair stuff like mohair or cashmere so it should be lighter than straight wool. I have a mohair blend throw and that's pretty damn warm for the weight. I hear alpaca is better.

us canadians have a really poor exchange rate right now BTW, so you can see why some might not be enthusiastic.
>>
>>667577
My GF have alpaca wool clothes. They dry in no time, are light as air and warm as fuck.
>>
File: 20160123_193040.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160123_193040.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>671896
>>667577
Yup, super cozy blanket.
>>
>>667577
wool is not my thing, it has it's uses, but still
polar can't be beaten for the price and for the weight for the warmth.
wools greatest advantage is sparks from fire don't burn a hole in them.
>>
id buy one
>>
Rip alpaca blanket anon, taken from us before his time in a tragically ironic alpaca/septic tank accident. You will be missed.
>>
>>671896
I bought my gf an alpaca hoodie!

I fuck the shit out of her!

> literally
>>
>>674760
OP is still hanging around. but my friend got busy this weekend and Friday was my birthday so was doing stuff Friday/Saturday. and we haven't talked since. I haven't forgotten you all. but currently the situation is out of my hands, only thing I can do is pressure him. and that's a dick move for some blankets.

Trust me, I'm the type of person that couldn't get lucky enough to just up an die.
>>
Trying to get a friend on board for this. Colors like the one posted on the thread image are pretty cool. Not really picky. I'm up for this if all goes well.
>>
i would buy one but i doubt you could beat mexican blanket prices
>>
>>675666
Even if it were cheaper than a wool or alpaca blanket, I don't think I would want a Mexican hair blanket.
>>
You know there are alpaca farms in the USA right ? Wouldn't it be cheaper just to buy from there. There's like 5 farms within 20 miles of me that raise alpacas, and make alpaca products.
>>
>>675695
Probably not, conversion costs of currency buys you more in Peru than here, operating costs there are also likely much cheaper, and it's a very common thing over there to use alpacas as domestic animals. While you could buy from a states based one, you have no advantage from currency strength, you are also buying a product which is more of a luxury here, and therefore will cost more for that perception, there's also the costs of overheads that are likely more expensive here. Same with a lot of goods from china and India, in the case of textiles especially India.

To give an illustrative example, there is a place near me that (tried to? I can't recall if it failed) made water buffalo milk mozzarella, but it had huge difficulty sourcing the right kind of animal, getting the process right, and in the end making a profit, because it's still in the end easier and cheaper to get it imported from Italy than to get a small run from this upstart who is still getting established.

Well actually that was a terrible example, but it was the only one I could think of off hand.
>>
>>667577
I'll buy one, provided the quality is good. Hit me up, mayne.
>>
id buy
>>
>>668448
they say that alpaca wool is the warmest and best wool in the world? thoughts?
>>
Hope this gets updates soon
>>
>>667577
If the price was right I'd be interested. I'm in the UK, but I'm not sure the shipping would be too prohibitive if the savings were huge. Even if I only save £10, a saving is a saving.

Would you be willing to ship to the UK, blanket sc/out/? I understand if this would be too much hassle though.
>>
>>667577
>>676993
or to mainland Europe? Alpaca doesn't come cheap around here, I'd grab half a dozen to keep as presents for next xmas, at an affordable price!
>>
It's gonna die
>>
i'd take one, try selling them on ebay too

i've been looking for a nice heavy warm blanket, i can't stand those stupid light fluffy comforters
>>
>>680419
Silk comforters are the best. They are actually really warm because they have many layers of silk in them, and they are heavy as well, but not annoyingly fluffy like a synthetic or down comforter.

Unfortunately it's hard to get good ones outside of asia.

I'm talking about a bed comforter at home on all this. There's still nothing better than a down sleeping bag for camping.
>>
>>680421
i have some kind of heavy cotton blanket that's comfy and warm as all fuck, but i want wool to keep in my truck in case some shit happens while i'm on the trails
>>
>>667577
I would, depending on prices.
>>
OP here... Idk whats takin him so fucking long... College doesnt take up THIS much time...

Also as per the UK guys.. Can't you get sheeps wool blankets for dirt cheap? I wouldn't mind sending some.. But this shits gotta go through customs and at this rate with all these request.. Im better off ordering from someone manufacturing them directly.... But then the prices might not be as low as predicted...

I keep getting on skype and still no word. I told him by the end of January.. Its now Feb..
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.